Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM GMT • comment (7) • Reads 127

Hunger Games Summary

By: Kaci Anderson

The Hunger Games book was one of the best books I have ever read. It was about a courageous girl named Katniss and her bad experience at something called the Hunger Games. These games are a punishment for rebellion that happened years ago, but the current citizens of Panem’s districts the ones that are being punished. Katniss is brave and when her sister is going to be punished, she takes her place. Katniss and her friend Peeta are brave and prepared for the Hunger Games. Will they win or will they die?

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:46 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 49

One thing I saw in the book Unspoken by Francine Rivers is greed.

When Bathsheba is a little girl, she dreams about King David.  She knows that she wants more than anything to marry him, even though he has married many others already.  She can’t think of anything else.  But when she is married to King David’s best friend, Uriah, the problems start...  David finally sees what a beautiful woman Bathsheba has grown into, and wants her.  But now she is married to Uriah.  He is not allowed to have her.  Meanwhile, David’s messengers are coming back, and they are not happy.  A surrounding king shamed them in front of his entire court.  David declares war, but instead of going into battle with his troops, he decides to stay home.  And now it is time for Bathsheba to take her yearly purifying bath.  She starts bathing on her roof, and David, who is bored, happens to walk out onto his balcony at the same time.  He sees Bathsheba naked, and wants her more than ever.  She has never lost her love for him.  He is filled with lust.  So David calls Bathsheba to his court and they commit adultery.  When it is found that Bathsheba is pregnant, David will go to all costs to cover up their sin- and to protect Bathsheba, who is blamed with it.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:38 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 45

Theme Summary Paragraph

The theme in the book I read, Deep, Dark, and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn, was obedience. You don't find this theme until the middle-end of the book. At first the main character, Ali, really wants to go the lake with her Aunt Dulcie, but her mom says no. Ali, Aunt Dulcie, and Emma (Ali's cousin) insist and they all go without Ali's mom Claire. Bad things happen and Emma and Ali almost die at the lake. You have to read the book if you want to find out how they die and all of their adventures at the lake. By the way, this is a ghost story. When you read the book you will find out also how the theme of obedience works in a lot at the end. This theme really shows that you should show obedience to any person, not just your parents, because usually they are right even though you may not think so at first.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:35 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 40

I read The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan, and I really enjoyed reading it. It had a lot of different themes, but the one that pooped out at me the most was teamwork. Girls and boys had to go on a quest together. They had to work really hard to get along, because the girls before were never aloud to even talk to boys but now they have to. I really liked the book and without teamwork, then the book wouldn’t of ended happily.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:41 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

I read The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan, and I really enjoyed reading it. It had a lot of different themes, but the one that popped out at me the most was teamwork. Girls and boys had to go on a quest together. They had to work really hard to get along, because the girls before were never aloud to even talk to boys but now they have to. I really liked the book and without teamwork, then the book wouldn’t of ended happily

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:42 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 52

The Hunger Games Summary

The book that I read this last 6 weeks is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The book starts off with the main character, Katniss Everdeen, waking up to find her younger sister, Primrose Everdeen, sleeping in the bed with their mother. Katniss and her family live in District 12. This day is special to them because it is Reaping Day. Reaping Day is the day where they choose two people, a boy and a girl, to compete in The Hunger Games. The two children who are chosen are called tributes. Prim is chosen and Katniss volunteers to go instead. Peeta Mellark is the boy that is chosen. Katniss remembers Peeta from a long time ago and hasn’t talked to him since. Prim begs Katniss to not go but Gale takes her off of Katniss. The tributes are given a few minutes to say their last goodbyes. Madge comes in and gives Katniss the mocking jay pin and asks if she will wear it during the games. Read more to find out what happens…

TEAM PEETA!!!

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:37 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 66

The White Mountains

I just read a book called “The White Mountains” and its theme is never give up. The book is about a kid called Will and he lives in a world governed by the tripods. The tripods have made the humans their slaves. When your 12 there is this thing called the capping and the tripods can control your mind. He is about to get the capping but there is this place called the White Mountains. If he can escape to the White Mountains he will be free. Does he get to the White Mountains? Read the book to find out

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 68

The Hunger Games

The theme of The Hunger Games By: Suzanne Collins to me was perseverance. When I read the book, Katniss shows great perserverence by helping young children survive. She has a little sister named Primrose and basically She takes care of her. Their mom is in depression because her husband died ( Katniss and Primrose’s dad) in a terrible mining accident. When Katniss is in the games she and Rue (a shy 11 year old) become friends and help each other survive. Will Katniss keep persevering through out this chaos?

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:43 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 67

When I first heard of the book Drums, Girls, And Dangerous Pie, I knew it was a book that I would want to read. It is all about perseverance. The main character is a teenage boy named Steven. He thinks that the most annoying thing in the world is his little brother Jeffrey, but when something terrible happens to Jeffery, Steven is scared, stressed, and just hopes that his little brother will survive.They both have so much perserverence, that they might just be able to get though this.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:27 PM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 58

The Hunger Games

Paragraph by: Mahlon McLeroy

In the Hunger Games, Katniss learned about how you have to make sacrifices in life and you can’t just think about yourself. One way she showed that is she took care of Peeta when he could have killed her. She also helped Rue. They teamed up and stayed together. This was a very important lesson. In the Hunger Games, sacrifice was a very important lesson. There were some more lessons, but the main one was sacrifice. 

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 79

The Eleventh Plague

I read The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch and the theme is overcoming losses. The three main characters are Stephen, Jenny, and Violet. After a large war between America and China, the United States becomes a vast wasteland. Stephen is one of the few survivors of the war who lives with his dad and is a scavenger. But when Stephen’s father gets in a coma, he finds his way to the wonderful city of Settlers’ Landing where he meets Jenny who doesn’t accept things for the way they are but when they pull a prank that goes horribly wrong something happens that may change Settlers’ Landing and their lives forever. The Eleventh Plague was one of the best books I have ever read and I suggest people who like action and adventure should read this book.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:34 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 50

The Lost Hero Summary

I read The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and the theme is overcoming obstacles.  The three main characters are Jason, Piper, and Leo.  Jason wakes up on a bus and doesn’t remember anything.  He apparently has two friends named Piper and Leo.  They say they go to the Wilderness School, which as Leo puts it is for “bad kids.”  Jason doesn’t know how he ended up there.  Piper’s dad went missing when she went to the Wilderness School and Piper has had a terrifying nightmare since it happened.  She doesn’t understand what the person in the nightmare is saying and she also doesn’t understand why her boyfriend, Jason, suddenly doesn’t remember her.  Then suddenly a weird storm hits during a school field trip and she, Jason, and Leo are taken to Camp Half-Blood.  They are told they have to go on a quest to save the world.  Sounds easy, right?  See what happens when you read The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:29 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 36

Tuskegee Airmen

The Tuskegee Airmen was an inspiring story about African American pilots. The book taught me about the Airmen through a teacher and his class. The students ask questions that are usually never answered by everyday people. Tuskegee Airmen talks about the men and how they were they were mistreated and considered a disgrace to other people that weren’t like them. The Tuskegee Airmen is a book that not only tells the story of the Tuskegee Airmen but in a way that both children and adults will understand.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:48 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 54

minor-fareast;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:

EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">The book I read this 6 weeks was Things I Know About Love this book was about love. The main character of the story is Livia Stowe; she is a seventeen-year-old girl from Britain. She has been battling leukemia all through her teen years and has been winning for a year now. She is going to America to visit her college brother while she is there she starts a blog about her visit there. She also ends up developing a relationship with one of her brother’s friends. She doesn’t want to put her trust in him. Will she trust him and have a relationship with him? To find out what happens read Things I Know About Love.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:32 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 57

Hunger Games Summary

I just read the Hunger Games, and it’s theme is overcoming obstacles. It is about a girl named Katniss, and she was chosen for the Hunger Games. At first her little sister, Prim, was chosen, but Katniss volunteered as a substitute. They go through a very dangerous game, and yes, people do die. The game is a fight-to-death game. You must be able to avoid being killed and survive. There is no mercy, so you must be careful. The theme is overcoming obstacles, so who will win the game? Read the books to find out!

The Vow Summary

The book The Vow, written by Kim and Krickitt Carpenter’s theme for me was love. I think that this story shows love by the amazing storyline. In the story the two-month-married couple is driving to Krickitt’s parent’s house, and they get into a huge car accident. Krickitt is in the hospital and all kinds of therapy for months. Kim finds the startling fact that due to all the brain damage Krickitt suffered, she doesn’t remember that she is married to Kim. During the story, they are trying to re-build relationship. During that time there are many times when Kim thinks that the relationship will never be same. He feels like his wife is going to be the same and never will remember him. This true story is a true example of an amazing love story between two Christian people. I enjoyed this story very much because it was a great Christian story about love and the reconstruction of a love story. This was one of my favorite=ite books that I have ver read. 

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:46 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 48

"Through My Eyes: A Quarterback’s Journey" is written by Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker. This book is about a regular kid like you and me that becomes one of the most religious and best quarterbacks in the country. It starts off with him being homeschooled with his brothers and sisters, and having a fantastic life. His family grows closer to God every step of the way and their friends look up to them as Christian role models. Tebow plays football at a school near his farm and decides that football is his passion. He wants to play football for the rest of his life. In everything he does, he does it for the LORD. This book really inspired me to grow closer to God and to do service for people in need. You will have to read the book to figure out the rest! ☺

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 54

When I read the book Pretties by Scott Westerfield the theme of perseverance stood out. All throughout the book all kinds of obstacles were being thrown at the main character, Tally. Tally had found out a huge secret of where she lived and she had to expose it. Well while Tally tries to expose the secret and cure it other people are trying to do the exact opposite. The people Tally are avoiding have had their senses altered to where they have the best senses you have seen. Although Tally knows the odds are in their favor she doesn’t give up and she perseveres. All of the obstacles in the book and of how Tally reacts to them represent perseverance strongly.

Mockingjay

"Times New Roman""> 

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"">        Mockingjay is the third book in the series “The Hunger Games.In this book, Katniss Everdeen, Gale Hawthorne, Peeta Mellark, and others are in a war with the Capitol. They are fighting for their freedom and to get rid of the Hunger Games. Katniss is the rebels’ only hope to win. She has won the Hunger Games and lots of people like her, so she will gain support from people around the country. This is a very good book and I would recommend it to anyone who likes action, adventure, or science fiction.   

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:33 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 66

A Kiss In Time

Book By: Alex Flinn  Paragraph By: LH6

A Kiss In Time, which has the themes of lost love and princess-and-commoner, is one of my favorite books! It’s like a modern-day Sleeping Beauty story. Once upon a time, Princess Talia was cursed by a witch, pricked her finger on a spinning wheel, and her entire kingdom fell into a deep sleep. 300 years later, a boy named Jack discovers her in a tower by mistake, and kisses her for a dare and for the fun of it. What he didn’t know is that her entire kingdom would awake! They all blame him for waking them up their princess, and they want to get rid of him! But Talia is convinced that Jack is destined to be her true love. When he escapes, she comes with him. But imagine being away for 300 years! Everything has changed, and Talia has no idea about any of the modern things in our world. Between partying, learning about every new thing in the past three centuries, trying to get Jack to love her, trying to find work, and trying to escape the witch who cursed her, Mavolia, how will Talia survive in this new world? This book is romantic, sweet, and funny, and will always be one of my favorites.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:33 PM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 66

I read the Hunger Games by Suzanna Collins. The Hunger Games is the first book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. This book is about Katniss Everdeen, a starving girl from the seam of District 12 in a place that was once called North America but is now Panem. When here sister is chosen for the annual Hunger Games (an annual fight to the death) Katniss bravely takes her place to fight against all the other tribunes and come out on top. This is an amazing book about action and romance book. I think that everyone who reads this book will fall instantly in love with all the crazy character and the action of the Hunger Games. If you want to find out what happens read The Hunger Games my Suzanna Collins.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:35 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 71

Dolores Claiborne 

By: Stephen King

Post by: Nicole Kinnunen

I read the book Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King, and I think a good theme for it would be oppression. I think that would be a good theme because Dolores was oppressed throughout the entire book. She had a lot of challenges and hardships throughout the book, and she handled each one uniquely. Stephen King defiantly explained her troubles with inexplicable detail. Oppression was defiantly a main theme.

Article posted March 27, 2012 at 08:37 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 60

When I read Witch and Wizard by James Patterson I found that one of the themes of this book is perseverance. Whit and Wisty are siblings who are accused of being a witch and wizard. They undergo being thrown into prison, being ripped away from their parents, escaping guards, guard dogs, torture, and countless other trials. Through all of the pain, loss, and terror these siblings still survive. Along the way they find out many things about them, their parents, and the world that they never thought was possible. I don’t think that I would be able to preserver after all that pain and loss. 

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:54 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 51

Zach’s Lie

A book that I have read was Zach’s Lie. There are many themes in this book. I think the main theme is Good VS Evil.  In Zach’s Lie Jack’s father is stuck in the drug business. His father is arrested and Jack, his mom, and his sister are taken in to the Eye Witness Program. He is hid in Elko, Nevada. At first he hates but he then starts to like his new life. But the main drug dealer comes after Jack and his family to get back a special item of his. Can Jack keep his cover and stay hidden. But Jack hates living a lie and if you take the V out of live what do you get?

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:42 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 47

Throughout the whole book of the Hunger Games, there are many ways that perseverance is showcased. First, when Katniss Everdeen gets through the sadness of the thought that she could never see her family again, she does the best she can to train and get ready for the Hunger Games. Second, when Peeta Mellark suffers a brutal cut to the leg by another contender in the Hunger Games, he has to persevere by getting away from the other contestants and find shelter. Third, During these Hunger Games Katniss’ family is in grave danger of dying from hunger because their main source of food is apart from them, they have to persevere through this and find another method of how to earn money and get food. Fourth, during this action-packed book there are some traumatic events but the members of the Hunger Games have to get these mind-boggling events out of their brains and persevere until the end. I think this book is successful because many people can relate to this book in these trying times.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:48 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

Mighty Miss Malone

I read the book called Mighty Miss Malone and one of the themes was hope and perseverance. Mighty Miss Malone is about a girl named Deza and she has to move from Gary, Indiana all the way to Flint, Michigan. Her dad got hurt in a boating accident and he moved to Flint to find work to help their family keep the house. Deza, her mom, and her brother Jimmy go to Flint to find her father. Will they find him if you want to find out read the book.

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:26 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 48

The Hunger Games

By Suzanne Collins

In the distant future, North America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by raffle to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the districts, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim short for Primrose, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male competitor Peeta, will be up against bigger, stronger representatives from other districts who have trained for this their whole lives. If Katniss wins, her family will be taken care of and her District will receive the additional food that it desperately needs to survive. In this journey Katniss learns about courage, which she showed greatly when she stepped up for her sister Prim at the reaping. Katniss is a great character as well as big sister.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:39 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 59

In the book The Hunger Games, one of the many themes is alliance. The theme alliance is used many times in the book, such as, when Katnis and Peeta teamed up to win the Hunger Games. Also, Katniss and Rue teamed up as well. These alliances helped both people survive as much as they could.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:43 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 66

The book I read was called “The Gift”, by James Patterson, and the main part of the book is mainly about overcoming obstacles. It is about the witch and wizard, Wisty and Whit running from the N.O. and their forces and trying to get the best of the One when he captures them. This book is definitely about overcoming obstacles because they always have to overcome the New Order and their evil schemes. Wisty and Whit are running from the N.O and at the same time, trying to overthrow them. If you ask me, that is a pretty hard job, especially for a bunch of teenagers. In the middle of the book during an attempt to overthrow the N.O, they get captured and they have to resist their deceptive tricks. The Gift is a great book about sacrifice, and overcoming troubles and obstacles.

I recently read the book called the dead. There are many themes in this book. I think one of the themes is courage, because when the kid’s parents got sick and turned into zombies, the kids had to fend for themselves fighting through all these zombies to stay alive. They also had to scavenge for food. That takes a lot of courage to not give up and just let them eat you. They kept fighting and never gave up.

The Gift...What is it’s Theme    

The Gift by James Patterson was a very intense book, and the theme was perseverance. In this book two characters, a brother and sister, named Whit and Wisty Allgood were fugitives running from the police for being accused of being a witch and wizard. It’s drenched in perseverance with the fact that they’re being looked for by a crazy dictator but they still try to fight back and save their friends and their parents. Though there parents are already on the brink of The River of Death, they still go to the Underworld to go find them even though they may be killed by Lost Ones. The book is riveting and intriguing and the perseverance exhibited in it makes you want to read more. The Gift by James Patterson is an awesome writer.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:37 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 84

The Gift...What is it’s Theme   

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:39 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 88

The theme of my book, Jane, is love. There is a girl named Jane and she loves Nico Rathburn her employer. Nico Rathburn is rockstar on the brink of a major comeback. He has a girlfriend, but that is what Jane thinks. He soon breaks up with her and tells Jane he loves her. He proves that by proposing to her. Something happens though and Jane leaves. He loves her and searches for her, but doesn’t find her. Is he in love with her enough to keep searching for her though? Read Jane to find out. 

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 34

The lesson I learned is to not procrastinate on any of your work. Code Orange is a book about a kid named Mitty he finds out that a project was due about a disease. He chooses small pox. During the process of doing the project he opens an envelope and touches what he later finds out is a small pox scab. Then for a while he is obsessing over the fact that he might catch small pox!!! Mitty had been hunt down by terrorist. Just remember don’t procrastinate!!

color:lime"> 

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:lime">  
--Cat:)

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:35 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 43

Hunger Games Summary

Book By: Suzanne Collins

Paragraph By: Katherine

There are many different themes in my book but one that really stood out to me was over coming obstacles. In the games, you have to kill other people in order to win, therefore supporting your district. You really aren’t supposed to be nice to other people; even in alliances you really aren’t that kind. But Katniss forms an alliance with Rue, and when she dies instead of walking away like everybody else does, she sings Rue her favorite song, and holds her hand while she dies. When Rue is dead Katniss closes her eyes, and covers Rue with flowers. Therefore overcoming the obstacle of the games being completely bitter and cruel.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:56 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 79

Theme Summary

The book that I have read was a book called Summer Ball. I think the main theme was basically him vs. the world, or at least that’s what he thought.
"Times New Roman"">Danny Walker has always been the short person in the room, or in the house. He loves playing basketball, but thinks he too short to play point guard for his team. All of his friends encourage him to try out so he does. He does good at the tryouts, but not good enough. The team he wanted to play was stacked with good players and he thought he wasn’t good enough. After a while of talking to his dad, his dad wants to become coach of a new basketball team. Read the book Summer Ball by Mike Lupica and figure out how Danny’s season goes!