Women in Medieval times roles and difficulties varied depending on wealth. Noblewomen’s job was to run the castle and estate when her husband was away, have sons to continue the family name and to inherit land, and to set up parties, and entertain guests. Peasant women’s jobs were to do all the housework, some of the farm work, sew, and help with her husbands business. Some of the difficulties that noblewomen faced were the fact that they had no choice in who they married. They married for political use. Other difficulties were that it was vital for them to have sons. Most women died in childbearing. Peasant women’s difficulties were that they could not marry without there parents consent, could not divorce her husband, were banned from many guilds (groups of people with the same skill), they were paid less for jobs then men, and could not inherit land from her parents if she had any surviving brothers. The only way she could inherit land was if she was widowed. This is where I got my information.

Eastwood, Kay. Women and Girls in the Middle Ages. Canada : Crabtree, 2004. Print.

Truman , Chris. "Medieval Women." historylearningsite.co.uk. N.p., 2012. Web. 31, Jan 2012. <http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/medieval_women.htm>.

Kowalski, Kathiann. "Women's Work is Never Done." Gale Student Resources In Context. Appleseeds , 2010. Web. Jan. 27, 2012. <http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/suic/MagazinesDetailsPage/MagazinesDetailsWindow?displayGroupName=Magazines&disableHighlighting=false&prodId=SUIC&action=e&windowstate=normal&catId=&documentId=GALE|A240863266&mode=view>

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 09:50 AM • comment • Reads 57 • see all articles