Think of a real life situation in which success or failure has depended upon the performance of a single person.  What goes through that person’s mind at a moment like that???

I would say that it depends on what the person is like.  If they are arrogant, and they are so prideful that they ‘know’ that they are going to succeed, then I would think that they would not be worried at all.  But if they are not that prideful and sure, I would think that they would be worrying their heads off.  They would be thinking, what if I don’t make it?  What if I fail?  Everyone will be mad at me, yelling at me!!!  What do I do???  Everyone’s hope is on ME now!!!  I hope I make it!!! But what if I don’t…. On and on like that!!!  It would be crazy!!! And if they make it, they would be so happy, but if they don’t, they would be so upset!!!  I hope everyone can come out of that tight spot a little wiser, though.

A little happier, a little sadder, a little older, a little younger, and a little bit wiser.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:56 PM GMT • comment (8) • Reads 46

At the end of the basketball season we have a tournament to see who will win. My team was in the championship against another team to win the game. The game was tied and there were just a few seconds left in the game. This girl was just about to shoot a foul shot to help us win the game. She was not very good and usually didn't make many of her shots. We were all ready to rebound it if she missed. She shot it... and then she made it! We were so happy and proud of her. 

Through her mind she probably felt nervous and had a lot of pressure on her because she was deciding the result of the game. 

Once my little sister was in a basketball game. her team was losing by one point. the whole team was depending on her to make the last shot. Everyone was screaming at her and yelling. She was under so much pressure that she missed the basket.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:17 PM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 43

Casey At The Bat

color:#FF0080">      
Last year on field day, I was running the 400-meter relay race. (This was the one where 4 people were on one team, with the baton.) My class was depending on me so that we would win. I was the last one to run. The 3rd runner was coming towards me to hand me the baton. I grabbed the baton and ran towards the finish line. There was already someone in front of me, but I passed her. I finally reached the finish line but there was already someone there. We came in 2nd, though. Everyone was mad and stuff. I had a lot of different emotions running through my head. I will NEVER forget that day.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:17 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 37

In baseball I was on third base with 2 out.One of our players was up to bat, and we were down by one. He took the first pitch. Than took the second pitch.Then missed the third pitch he struck out and we lost. It must have been a lot of pressure.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:10 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 37

Your heart is pounding. Your palms are sweaty. It seems like your whole life is depending on this moment. You think your head is going to explode from all the stress. Messing up isn’t an option. You have to do it. You have to be perfect. You either do it, or you don’t. Let’s just hope you do it… 

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:11 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 52

Last year I was at one of my last basketball games of the season. There were 20 seconds left in the game. If one of the girls on my team got the 2 points we would win! We needed this win and then we would be un-defeted! She took it down the court as fast as she could. She took the shot and it went in then came out!!!  She felt SO bad! We told her it was ok, it was only 1 loss but she cried. Finally we calmed her down but I still think that she felt bad on the inside.

Casey at the Bat

Over summer break the women's FIFA World Championship took place. It was between Japan and the U.S. and after two halves the score was a tie. This meant the teams would have to compete in a shootout. After the first couple of Americans it was all down to one player to bring the U.S. back in it. I think people that have to go through these kind of situations are probably very anxious and also nervous.

Casey at the Bat

One time when I was in 5th Grade I was playing a basketball game and my team was losing.  It was in the 4th quarter with 1 minute left and we were down by 4 points.  We called timeout to work out a play.  The play was to go to Coleman, another guy on my team.  So we inbounded it and worked it around the perimeter and found Coleman just inside the 3-point line and he made it!  We pulled the game within 2 points and our coach called timeout again.  Now with 30 seconds left the other team brought the ball down the court and my team played great defense and stopped them.  So our coach took our final timeout.  The play was to get the ball to me.  So we inbounded it and I was on the wing.  Coleman brought it down court and passed to me with 5 seconds left.  This shot was to tie the game.  So I shot it.  But I missed.  Before the shot I felt a lot of pressure because the game was on my shoulders.  I felt really bad that I didn't make it.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:14 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 37

Casey at the Bat- Reflection

A real life situation was this summer in a basketball game. I was instructed by my coach to shoot a three at the 10 seconds mark. As I was looking at my coach on the bench. I wasn’t paying attention to the defender. A defender came by and stole the ball from behind me. All I could do was watch as he was speeding down the court towards the basket. He made his layup and the game was over. We had lost he game. I felt devastated knowing that my coach gave me a responsibility to win a game and we lost. I was sad and didn’t know how to apologize to my teammates I knew they were mad at me and I didn’t even know how to forgive myself.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:21 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 46

Have you ever felt pressured to be the best or do something right? Well, that has happened to me before. What goes through your mind is you don't want to mess up. You feel like the world is on your shoulders and you just want to do well. Don't put too much pressure on yourself still have fun.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:14 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 48

Casey at the Bat

In this poem, a baseball team is down and the game is almost over. Then, Casey steps up to the bat. Then everyone depended on him to win the game. First Strike 1, the 2, and finally, “Strike Three! You’re Out!” If you do something like that, you feel like the team lost because of you, and you never want to face them again. You feel like you life is over. It’s not over though, because you always have next time! 

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:03 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

Think of a real-life situation in which success or failure has depended on the performance of a single person. What goes through a person's mind at a moment like that?

I remember I went to one of the JV's basketball games (because my sister was a cheerleader.) and the score was really close. Both teams were both trying to one up each other. No matter who scored it would continuously be really close. When there was about 15 seconds left in the game the ref called a free threw for GAC. I think at the time the thoughts running through his head were crazy. He knew that it all was relying on him. If he didn't make it the team and the fans who be disappointed because of him. They ended winning and I bet he was so happy and
relieved.

If I was playing a basketball game, and the score is 23-23 and one of my friends had two free throws to win the game, I think that they would think that if they don’t make these two shots then nobody would like them and never to talk to them again. Maybe they would think people would make fun of them because they couldn’t make two shots.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:02 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 49

In a lot of life situations people have gone through pressure. Sometimes it is a pressure on a group of people, but sometimes it is just one person that is getting pressured. It might occur at a baseball game when it is there turn to hit the ball. When they go up to bat, they must be thinking about what’s going to happen. They are usually worried that they will let down their team. Sometimes it might not be a baseball game when this occurs, but when it does occur that person is usually focused on pleasing the people around them. There have been a lot of situations in daily life where a lot of people are depending on one person.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 62

Pressure

A real life situation in which success or failure has depended upon the performance of a single person happens sometimes in sports. It happens sometimes in baseball when there are two outs, bases loaded and the star hitter is up. Sometimes in football it’s 4th and long, and 5 seconds left and they run a Hail Mary. It is hard to get through those times, but God will help us.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:14 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 38

I love to swim. I have been on swim team for almost seven years now. Swimming puts you under a lot of pressure sometimes, though. Take this instance from last year.

My team was facing the toughest team in our area. They had beaten us every single year for the past twenty years. We really wanted to win.

I could tell by the anxious looks in the judges’ eyes that we were neck-and-neck with the other team. It was all coming down to the final race: the freestyle relay.

The last event was an eighteen-and-under boys relay. The other team’s swimmers were fierce. They even looked stronger than our boys. Both teams hopped up on the blocks.

I stared at our swimmers on the blocks’ faces. They were anxious, every part of them shaking with anxiety.

And then the horn blew, and they took off.

They were neck and neck the whole time, even with their boys being stronger. I could tell that our boys knew that they needed to go fast. Our team depended on this race to win.

And then the two final swimmers came up to the blocks. Our swimmer was shaking all over, staring at the tall, muscular guy next to him. I could tell that there was a lot going through his mind. We depended on him, all of us.

It seemed as though the swimmers in the water touched at the same time. And then the final leg was off.

I think half of us in the crowd lost our voices, including my friends and I. We were screaming at the top of our lungs for our team. It looked like it would be a tie.

And then they touched the wall, and it seemed as though it was.

And then the scores appeared on the scoreboard.

We had lost by less than half a second.

Everyone’s faces fell. We had lost the meet by three points: 456-453.

I felt so bad for the guy who was our last leg. He was just wading in the pool, face underwater, shaking all over. I would have said words of comfort to him, but I had lost my voice cheering.

Winning the championship meet had slipped out of our fingers.

And all I could think about was that poor last leg in the water.

I am almost certain that this was how Casey felt, except I think he was overconfident.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:22 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 51

During the track season, I was on a 4x400 relay team. (That means each person runs a full lap on the track and then passes the baton. I was first leg, my friend Aniyah was the second leg, Lauren was the third leg, and Sumer was the forth leg.  Well, this was the Region Three Qualifier and Sumer was hurt. We had no alternates. Since Sumer had to run no matter what, the plan was that I, the first leg, get us a huge lead and hope that Aniyah and Lauren could keep it up that was Sumer could just barely jog around the track. It was time for the race. I got in my blocks, I was FREAKING OUT!  “Set,” the man said. “BANG!”- the gun went of I ran for my life. In the end our team got 3rd. I felt like I had let the team down for not getting us a bid enough lead. Aniyah and Lauren did, too. It was a big day for our team.

When people take their SAT tests and similar tests like it there future is at stake. If they do really good on these tests then they could go to a really good college. If they do badly or fail then they go to a college that is not as good. There future depends on these tests. I know that I would be scared and nervous. I would run through everything that I studied. I would think of everything that this test would depend upon. I would probably be panicky and scared. I would try to keep my mind off of the worst possible outcome so that I wouldn’t panic. Above all else I think that I would pray to God for help. 

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:12 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 54

When all the Pressure is on one Person

A time where all the pressure is on one person was the Giant’s field goal kicker in the play off game on Sunday. In over time the Giants had a chance to win the game if they made a field goal. So the entire game was on their kicker. Luckily he made the field goal easily. When all the pressure is on you things like “What if I miss?” or “Will I be hated if I can’t make field goal?”  Things like that put even more pressure on you, because you know that if you miss people will yell at you and call you bad things. 

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:04 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 62

There have been many times that one game has come down to one person. I remember one in particular. I was at the Georgia @ Georgia Tech football game in 2009. One of Georgia Tech’s players dropped a first down pass to put Georgia tech in position to tie or win the game. Being my favorite team I was really mad at this player for “losing the game.” After I had time to think about it I figured out that there were many plays that put them behind in that game.

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 02:04 AM GMT • comment • Reads 63

What goes through a person's mind at a moment when success or failure depends upon them?

That person would feel pressure on their shoulders from people depending on them.  I think they would feel like the weight of the world was on top of them.  They would probably feel very tense and as if everyone was watching them.  When people are faced with that challenge, I think that they should have fun and do their best because no one can be mad at you for doing your best.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:20 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 41

Casey at the Bat

In dance, you have shows and rehearsals and recitals. When dance teachers put you in the middle, or front, of the dance, most people behind you will watch you, because you’re the person in the front for a reason. I think that it puts a lot of pressure on that person because they feel that they have to get every move right because if they mess up the people behind them will mess up too.  Although, if we have faith in God, most of the time it won’t happen.

In the 1995 NBA Championship Finals, the New York Knicks played the Indiana Pacers. In game 7, the Pacers were down by 2 points with 18.7 seconds to play. Reggie Miller got the inbounds pass and hit a turn-a-round 3 pointer. Then the Knicks threw the inbounds pass but it was deflected. Reggie Miller got the ball went to the 3-point line and shot another 3 pointer. Reggie Miller had won the NBA Championship Finals for the Indiana Pacers. 

In competitions where both teams are tied and they have a tiebreaker, say in an academic competition and you are chosen, there can be a whole lot of pressure. You have people relying on you and if you fail you don’t know what their reaction will be. You also really want to succeed but you don’t know if you have the caliber to reach your goal. Extreme nerves and attempts to calm yourself are common. The main thing to do is to try and relax and do your best.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:04 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

When I was playing a basketball game last Saturday, Noah just got fouled and was getting ready to shot 2 free throws. The game was 20-22 we were losing by 2 points and it all rested on Noah to make both to tie the game and go into over time. I think that he was really nervous about the free throws. I know that he knew that he had to make both of his free throws in order to go into overtime. He had a lot of pressure. Noah is at the line and he shoots but he misses, but he ends up making the second one. We ended up losing by 1 point.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

Make It or Break It

I remember standing in front of the goal, petrified with fear. The ball was at my feet siting like an obedient dog waiting to be kicked into the goal. The parents were cheering, my teammates were yelling, and the other team stood there waiting to see what I was going to do. It was the first game of the season and everyone was new to the game. My knees had been banging against each other and my teeth chattered like I was in Antarctica. The game was tied; all I had to do was kick. The goalie had let two easy balls already soar in, just one kick and we would win. At that moment I could barely move. Everything depended on me, the whole game, going to the tournament, one mistake and it was over. I had gulped and swung my foot. Everything slowed down and the whole field went silent as the goalie lunged, caught it, but then dropped the ball a millimeter behind the line. Everyone looked eagerly at the referee with begging eyes. He took a look, blew the whistle, and nodded slowly. I remember everyone exploding into cheers and noise suddenly, like a mighty thunderstorm that had been holding all of its power back and unexpectedly letting it all out. My team tackled me and I realized we had won. Everything had depended on me but I still had done it.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:19 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

I don't know of a real life situation where pressure it put on someone to get the last thing right, or score the last goal. When it does happen though it is very hard for the person who has all that pressure on them. It might be up to them, but we don't have to put the spotlight on them. If they get it right or score the goal then be sure to tell them thank you. If they miss then tell them that it was alright and that they can do it next time.

I can't really think of any situations were success or failure depended on me, or anyone, but I can imagine what it must be like. You proabaly feel a lot of pressure, and wonder what will happen next. Should you take the chance or not? 

During a Must win game for the Cubs in a matchup between the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins with the Cubs on top of the series 3-2. October 14, 2003, at Wrigley Filed in Chicago. Eighth inning of Game 6 in the World Series, with the Cubs holding a 3-0 lead over the Florida Marlins with only 5 outs standing between them and their first World Series appearance since 1945. Luis Castillo came up to bat. Mark Prior (The Cubs Pitcher) was having one of the best seasons of his career. 1 strike 1 out was the count on Castillo when he fouled it. The ball travels to the left side of the field and everybody thought nothing of it, O but if they would have. Steve Bartman is sitting along the left-field foul line at Wrigley Field, and tries to catch a foul ball that is about to be caught by Cubs' outfielder Moises Alou for the second out of the inning. The cubs are arguing that the play should be ruled fan interference, but they say it was a fair game for the fans to catch the ball. Here’s the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjsWzPMeMM. People got very angry and cussed, threw beer, and wanted to kill Bartman after this play. He must of felt very sad. After the Bartman play, the Marlins would score 8 runs and go on for a game seven. In game seven, the cubs were up 3-0 but the Marlins came back to win 9-6. The Florida Marlins ended up as World Series Champions.