Copyright (c) 2014 by DR Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
DR -- Blogmeister

7th period Spring 2013

by DR

Article posted May 9, 2013 at 04:23 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 161

What would I change in the world? I would change the fact that some people don't have adequate shelter.  In Africa, a lot of families only have one room to live in.  Even big families with, for example, 5 people, only have one room to live in.  Also, a lot of people don't have indoor plumbing.  This means they have to go far away to get water and then they have to carry the full, heavy water bucket back to their house.  I believe that if I created the Africa Home Association it would change lives.  How would it change lives?  I would raise money and then use the money to give new homes to families in need.  This would change lives because they would get a new home that had indoor plumbing.  This would also change lives because I would make many rooms in the house so that it wouldn't be as crowded.  I feel that this could change many lives for the better.  Learning about different cultures and historical time periods is very important in changing the world. Why? Well... You need to know about the people's culture before you help.  If you want to help them, then you definitely don't want to offend them.  I believe that you also need to know the history of the people.  This is important in several ways.  First of all, you need to have something to talk about with them.  If you talk about their history with them, they will feel closer to you.  It would also give you more knowledge about where the people had come from.  This is my plan for changing the world.

There is a really great project going on.  It's called My Charity: water. This is a project that gives clean water to people who are in need and don't have access to clean water.  They do this by digging wells.  It is funded by people who feel stongly about the cause of giving clean water to people who are less fortunate.  It affects our society today because people getting clean water is very important.  Many people in rural and impoverished countries do not have access to clean water.  Much water that people in rural Africa drink is filled with diseases such as E. coli, salomonella typhi, schistosoma. cholera vibrios, and hepatitis A.  These diseases especially affect children because their bodies aren't strong enough to fight those kinds of disease.  For example, 90% of the 30,000 deaths that occur each week from dirty water are in children that are less than 5 years old.  As you can see, this is a very big and global problem that needs to be fixed.  That's what this ministry is trying to do.  This connects to the Renaissance because back in the Renaissance times, most water wasn't very clean.  Back then, most of the people just threw their trash and waste out onto the street.  This was a big problem because when it rained, this waste would wash away into various bodies of waters around the certain town.  This in turn means that town's water source would get polluted.  Once again, as you can see, this was a big problem then, but it is also a big problem now.

Source Link:

http://www.charitywater.org/whywater/

I think a world without pictures would be extremely boring.  A world without pictures would be drastically different than the world we live in today.  Today, almost everything comes with pictures.  Website articles almost always have pictures along with them.  If there were no pictures to accompany words and feeling the world would be a pretty dull and unexciting place.  If you think about it... Pictures bring us joy in life.  They give us feeling and connection.  Say we read an article about sports... Along with that article, there is a picture.  When you look at that picture, you somehow feel connected to the thing that is being talked about in the sports article.  Whereas, if there wasn't a picture to go along with that sports article you wouldn't be able to connect with the article very well.  A world without pictures, I feel, would be tragically uncreative.  People wouldn't be able to express what they see and feel.  In short, they wouldn't be able to express themselves.  Overall, a world without pictures would lose a lot of what the world is meant to be.

The Middle Ages is very interesting time in the history of the world.  It was time were there was a lot of struggle for power and land.  It was also a time of disease and hardship but also learning.  I learned that religion basically influenced everything that people did in the Middle Ages.  Religious leaders were possibly as powerful as kings.  The Black Plague ravaged Europe and killed a 1/3 of the population of Europe.  It was devastating.  The Crusades or "Holy Wars" were also very important.  They orginally started out as wars for the church but then turned into wars for wealth.  All of these things shaped the Renassaince and the modern world.  Overall, the Medieval Times was a very interesting time for the world and Europe.

What is Culture?

Culture, it is one of the most packed words in human history.  Culture is the customs, arts, music, sports, language, clothes, religion, etc. of a civilization.  Culture is constantly changing.  An empire could fall and the culture of that same area could be totally different from what the culture of the empire was.  Culture changes as new ideas come to the surface of humanity.  Culture can also change as new authorities come to power over territories.  Those new authorities could have different ideas about how they want their territory.  Over time, their new ideas that may have been weird at first, become engrained and entwined in the history and culture of a country.  To me, certain aspects of culture all starts with someone who has a new idea.  Culture is so vital to the foundation of countries, empires, etc. but sometimes people lose sight of how important it is and so, consequently, they lose chunks of their culture that, often, can never be found again.

The Lost Hero Summary

I read The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and the theme is overcoming obstacles.  The three main characters are Jason, Piper, and Leo.  Jason wakes up on a bus and doesn’t remember anything.  He apparently has two friends named Piper and Leo.  They say they go to the Wilderness School, which as Leo puts it is for “bad kids.”  Jason doesn’t know how he ended up there.  Piper’s dad went missing when she went to the Wilderness School and Piper has had a terrifying nightmare since it happened.  She doesn’t understand what the person in the nightmare is saying and she also doesn’t understand why her boyfriend, Jason, suddenly doesn’t remember her.  Then suddenly a weird storm hits during a school field trip and she, Jason, and Leo are taken to Camp Half-Blood.  They are told they have to go on a quest to save the world.  Sounds easy, right?  See what happens when you read The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

King Edward Longshanks

King Edward Longshanks was one of England’s greatest kings.  His real name was Edward the 1st but he was nicknamed Longshanks because he was so tall.  Right after King Edward came to the throne he conquered Wales and made his son the Prince of Wales.  As the king he made some new laws.  The new laws that he made had a long lasting influence on later kings of England.  In 1307 King Edward Longshanks tried to lead an army towards Scotland but he died before he reached the border.  King Edward I will forever be known as perhaps the greatest king in the history of England.

Citations

Database: "Edward, kings of England." 1st.1st (2012): n.pag. Britannica School Edition. Database. 27 Jan 2012. <[LINK] Edward&ct=null>.

"Times New Roman""> 

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"">Book:
Bunson, Matthew. Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages. 1st. New York, NY, US: Facts in File Inc., 1995. 157-158. Print.

"Times New Roman""> 

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"">Web:
. "Edward I 1272-1307 Early Years." English Monarch. English Monarchs, 2004-2005. Web. 27 Jan 2012. <[LINK]>.

Casey at the Bat

One time when I was in 5th Grade I was playing a basketball game and my team was losing.  It was in the 4th quarter with 1 minute left and we were down by 4 points.  We called timeout to work out a play.  The play was to go to Coleman, another guy on my team.  So we inbounded it and worked it around the perimeter and found Coleman just inside the 3-point line and he made it!  We pulled the game within 2 points and our coach called timeout again.  Now with 30 seconds left the other team brought the ball down the court and my team played great defense and stopped them.  So our coach took our final timeout.  The play was to get the ball to me.  So we inbounded it and I was on the wing.  Coleman brought it down court and passed to me with 5 seconds left.  This shot was to tie the game.  So I shot it.  But I missed.  Before the shot I felt a lot of pressure because the game was on my shoulders.  I felt really bad that I didn't make it.

The Noble Experiment

I think people should expect professional athletes to be role models. I think professional athletes should be role models because a lot of kids are looking up to them to do the right thing. I think if you are a popular person you can influence a lot of people and if kids are looking up to you you should influence them in the right way by showing good character and things like that. I think that Jackie Robinson displayed those qualities. Athletes today should display the same qualities as he did.

Settings Where Prejudice Is Found

Prejudice can be found in lots of places. Prejudice can occur a lot at schools. Kids can be unfair to other kids by saying that they’re not “cool” or “popular”. For some kids this can really hurt them forever. Prejudice can also occur at restaurants or stores. God made us all equal so everyone should be treated the same. I think prejudice should be stopped and people should start treating people the way they want to be treated.