Copyright (c) 2014 by DR Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
DR -- Blogmeister

7th period Spring 2013

by DR

Book Talk #2

I read a book called Twilight written by Stephanie Myer. It is about this girl named Bella, who is moving to Forks to live with her dad. Thing is she is moving there during the middle of the school year. On her first day at Forks High School, she meets this guy named Mike. Mike takes her to all of her classes and is very nice to her. At lunch that day Bella sees these pale, beautiful, graceful people. They all look alike in someway. Bella is automatically hooked and starts staring at them. Bella asks her new friend Jessica who they are. She tells them that they are the Cullens.  Bella asks about the one boy who doesn’t have a girl with him. Jessica tells her that that is Edward Cullen, she also told her to not waste her time because he wasn’t interested in any of the girls at their school. Bella hears the bell for lunch to be over and walks to her next class with Mike. (They had their next class together.) Mike goes to his seat sadly. Bella searches for a seat and notices that the only seat available is a seat next to him, Edward Cullen.

Read to find out what happens between them.  :P

I read a book called Katie Kazoo Switcheroo: Anyone But Me. It is about a 4th grade girl named Katie Kazoo. She wakes up and gets ready for school thinking it would be a normal day for her. Once she gets to school, she feels this wind around her. The only problem is that nothing is moving in the wind. The wind is only swirling around her. After the wind is gone she notices that she got smaller….way smaller. She doesn’t have her natural curly red hair. Instead she has fur. She walks to a mirror and notices that she is new the class pet, a gerbil. She walked to her class in gerbil state and she has the day of her life. OH SNAP!...read to find out what happens.

The book I read was called The Lightning Thief. It is about a boy named Percy Jackson who is a demi-god but doesn’t know it. Percy has dyslexia which causes words and numbers to get mixed up. One day he goes on a class trip. Him and his best friend, Grover, sit next to each other. Once they get there Percy stops paying attention to what his teacher is saying and his teacher calls on him to answer a question. The words on the statue in from of them switched into the answer. They go outside for lunch, and this teacher he absolutely hates calls him into a room alone. Percy is suspicious but follows her direction.

mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:

EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">Read to find out what happens to Percy. }:)

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 01:04 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 53

I read The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan. It was the last book in the Percy Jackson series. It was about how Percy, Grover, and AnnaBeth went and had a HUGE fight with Hades and his “crew”.  Percy fights to get his mom back and Grover and AnnaBeth help him. They run into some of the gods in a junkyard and get a ride with them. From there, they all start getting these signs of war. You have to see what happens to the friends and if they survive by reading the book! See you all at school tomorrow! Can’t wait!

The Watson's Go to Birmingham

The weird Watson's that's what there neighbors call them. Byron is getting in trouble a lot he is joining a gang and doing bad stuff. Finally they have enough and the whole family goes to Birmingham. There intension is to leave Byron in Birmingham with grandma. Will Byron step it up or will he stay.

Masons life is messed up. His father left him and he has a giant scar on his face. One day he is at work with his mom at The Haven of Peace and he sees a mysterious girl. He is trying to help her but what he does not know is that she is no ordinary person. She has been grown … by the Gardener.

Article posted December 26, 2011 at 04:54 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 47

The whole book of One Day for Love didn't get posted, so I will try it again later.

Cass' life is changed when a real estate agent drops off a mysterious box at Cass' grandfathers' house, along with the news that a magician had died. She then meets Max Ernest, a boy who talks way too much, and they decide to investigate the magician's house. They are caught by a seemingly young couple and run away, but not before discovering a mysterious journal. The young couple comes to their school to look for the two kids, but end up kidnapping a synesthete (getting your senses mixed up in your heAD) boy named Benjamin Blake. Cass sees the name on their truck as they drive away, THE MIDNIGHT SUN. Cass disquises herself as a celebrity to save the boy. Will the Midnight Sun discover her true identity? What secrets does the Midnight Sun hold? 

You'll have to read it to find out.

Somewhere in a jungle, a girl is tasting chocolate that changes her life. She needs to escape.

Cass and Max-Ernest are back in this exciting third book in the Secret Series. Cass' mom falls for Senor Hugo, a mysterious blind chef that Cass does not like. They are invited to his exsquisite restaurant, where a life changing event happens. Cass' mother is kidnapped by Senor Hugo himself. It's up to Cass, Max-Ernest, and their new friend Yo-Yoji to find Cass' mother and save her from the Midnight Sun, the organization Senor Hugo supports. Can they save her in time?

How would you feel if you had a chance to win two hundred million dollars? I know that I would be SUPER excited. But what if it came at a price?      One day in October, Sam Westing was found dead in his home. Later that year, sixteen heirs were called to hear his will. The will stated that he had not died of natural causes, but that he had been murdered -- by one of the heirs! And so the Westing Game begins. They are divided into eight pairs, and each pair receives a set of clues. The clues lead to the name of the murderer -- but none of the clues make sense! The way to win is to find the name of  the murderer, therefore winning the two hundred million dollars.

But soon the game turns nasty, with burglars, bookies, bombers, and plot twists around every corner. Who will win this deadly game?

How would you feel if you found out you were a wizard?

Harry Potter does not have the best life. Raised by his mean relatives after the death of his parents, he's been kicked around for years. But his life is changed when he finds out he is a wizard and gets accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Who wouldn't want to go to a school of magic? He has a great time learning magic and magical sports and making new friends, but soon learns that not everyone at Hogwarts is good. In fact, there may be someone who is trying to bring the darkest wizard of all time back...by finding a hidden object inside the castle and killing Harry? The darkest wizard, Lord Voldemort, was almost destroyed when he tried to kill Harry, leaving Harry with a lightning scar. If he were to return, there would be chaos unimaginable. Can Harry, along with his new friends Ron and Hermione, stop them from stealing the object? Will Harry survive?

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 01:04 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 55

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick was about an orphan and his journey to discover the secrets of a mechanical man.  I loved this book because a portion of it is described in pictures and the other portion is described in words.  While reading, you have to use the illustrations as a visual aid to determine what is happening in the story.  I thought that was really cool and the drawings were magnificent.  As a bonus, I was able to see the movie in the theatre over the Holiday break and compare the two.  I would recommend this book and movie to artists and to people who like adventurous stories.

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 01:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 59

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Cabin Fever

I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinney over the Christmas break.  Since I am a fan of the book series, I was eager to read it.  The story centered around Greg and the problems that he encountered during a blizzard.  Overall, I thought this book was good, but it was not as great as the previous books in the series.  Although, I read this book in a day or two, it did not really grab my interest as the other books I read.  I would recommend this book to people that have enjoyed this series, but would caution them not to expect too much.

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 01:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Wonderstruck

I read Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick and once I was done reading I was literally wonderstruck.  It only took me one day to read, because I could not put it down.  The first night I began to read it, I didn’t finish reading until 3 A.M.  The main characters in the book were Ben and Rose.  The beauty is that Ben’s story is told in words, while Rose’s story is told in pictures.  Their stories are set 50 years apart and it is amazing how they come together before the book ends.  Some of the adventures in the book take place in New York at different museums.  This is one of the best books that I have ever read.  I highly recommend this book to fans of Brian Selznick, artists and readers of all ages.

Article posted January 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 54

Hunger Games

I read Hunger Games by Susan Collins and absolutely loved it.  I am reading the second book in the series now. The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss, who lives in the country of Panem, which is made up of 12 districts around it with a capitol in the middle.  Panem hosts an annual event called the Hunger Games, which is a fight to the death with 24 competitors.  Because there are 12 districts, 2 competitors are chosen from each district.  Katniss and her little sister Prim live in District 12 with their mom and they go to the annual reaping where Prim’s name gets called.  Katniss volunteers for her little sister, Prim, with the boy tribute, Peeta Mellark.  They train and prep for the Hunger Games, but who will come out on top?  If you want to know read the book, I would highly recommend it.