Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 57

The Eleventh Plague

I read The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch and the theme is overcoming losses. The three main characters are Stephen, Jenny, and Violet. After a large war between America and China, the United States becomes a vast wasteland. Stephen is one of the few survivors of the war who lives with his dad and is a scavenger. But when Stephen’s father gets in a coma, he finds his way to the wonderful city of Settlers’ Landing where he meets Jenny who doesn’t accept things for the way they are but when they pull a prank that goes horribly wrong something happens that may change Settlers’ Landing and their lives forever. The Eleventh Plague was one of the best books I have ever read and I suggest people who like action and adventure should read this book.

Edward I was the king of England from 1272 to 1307. He was nick named “Longshanks” because of his height and stature. He was also nicknamed “The English Justinian” because like the Roman Justinian he organized his laws. He was born on June 17, 1239 at Westminster Palace and died on July 7, 1307 at Burgh on Sands, Cumberland. He was crowned on November 6, 1272 and served as king until the day he died. He was married to Eleanor of Provence and had 16 children with her, but when she died he married Margaret of France and had 3 children with her have 19 total children. He conquered Scotland but later the Scots rebelled against him. He is currently most commonly known for restoring royal authority. When he died his son, Edward had many financial problems because of the many wars his father had started including the war with the Scottish people.

Cites:

Bunson, Matthew. Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages. 1st ed. 1. New York City: Facts on File, 1995. 157-158. Print.

"Edward, Kings of England." (2012): n.pag. Britannica School Edition. Web. 1/31/12.

"Edward 1, Longshanks." Britannia. N.p., 2011. Web. 2 Feb 2012.

Casey at the Bat

Over summer break the women's FIFA World Championship took place. It was between Japan and the U.S. and after two halves the score was a tie. This meant the teams would have to compete in a shootout. After the first couple of Americans it was all down to one player to bring the U.S. back in it. I think people that have to go through these kind of situations are probably very anxious and also nervous.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 07:55 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

The Noble Experiment

I think we should expect professional athletes to be role models because a lot of kids think of them as their heroes. We shouldn't judge an athlete by the way they play because they could be really skilled and athletic but is a terrible person. Athletes should never do anything inappropriate or ridiculous because kids around the country are watching what they do on shows like Sports Center. When an athlete does something bad they have pretty much no chance of hiding. I think we should look up to athletes who do good stuff.

Article posted January 11, 2012 at 07:51 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 36

Places Where Prejudice Is Found 

There are many places where prejudice people can be found. Prejudice can be found at different schools all over the world. At schools kids make fun of kids who look different because they’re think its cool. They make fun of them because of the way that person’s accent sounds different and awkward. Prejudice can be found in many places but it is cruel, mean, and uncool.

Article posted January 11, 2012 at 07:50 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

Places Where Prejudice Is Found

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 02:46 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 34

Goal Setting 

One of my goals is to finish my WW practice quizzes on time and I will do this by writing down the due date of it. This goal should be achieved by the end of the semester. One of my spiritual goals is to walk with God by praying and studying His word daily. I would like to achieve this goal in about two weeks. My last goal for this year is to solve problems with my sister. I will do this by being nicer to her and not arguing with her. I want to complete this goal by the end of February.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:48 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 61

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

In the movie, The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, we watched a Cambodian girl named Linn Yang go through hard times and change. Some ways she changed was she originally was fearful of lots of common American things because she was a slave who lived in poverty and didn’t have any technology. Another way she changed was she changed her language and eventually was able to win the Spelling Bee. Also Linn didn’t like to lose and she didn’t like it when things didn’t go her way so she would hide and cry but in the end Prissy told her it was okay to lose as long as you try your hardest and do all that you can. Linn thought that if she didn’t do something right the soldiers would come to kill her. This story teaches me that even when I feel my world is falling apart someone will always be there to help and protect me.

Sir Stinky Breath

Chapter 1

Once upon a time in a small village named Shama-lama-ding-dong there was an evil worm called “Wormy” that wanted to destroy the whole town. When a young villager named Peter Piper overheard Wormy planning his attack he suddenly remembered that he used to have pet worm, but he forgot to feed it. Then Wormy noticed Peter and remembered him. Wormy said, ”If you tell anyone I’ll  cut you into pieces smaller than me!” Peter was no ordinary because unlike others he had a reason to be known he was the town’s most forgetful person. He had angered the townspeople many times and he didn’t want them to think he was crazy too! So he did what he does best and forgot about it completely. 2 weeks later the ground began to rumble…

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 02:16 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 671

If I could Design the Library of the Future…

I would make everything out of glass and there would still be bookshelves, but instead of reading the back of the book for a preview you press a button and it sucks you into the most important or action packed part of the book. When the scene is over, it will ask you if you want to check out the book. All around the library there will be different rooms with different styles of books and in the rooms stuff that’s comfortable like recliners and couches. The doors would all be revolving doors. The one twist that really changes the library though is it is also part movie-theater. The carpet will be really think and comfy and there would be no cement walls they would all be glass. 

If my name could be anything…

My name would stay the same because my name feels natural now. The name I have now is the name my parents wanted me to have so why would I change it if both my parents and I like it?  I like the way it sounds when other people say my name. I love my name the way it is now. I would never change my name.

Article posted September 16, 2011 at 02:30 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 102

Prejudice is a feeling of dislike towards someone or something. It is a feeling of supremacy over someone who is different. I feel that prejudice is a bad way to look at someone of a different race. It is a bad way to treat a person that is of a different race. Prejudice is racism. Prejudice is wrong. Prejudice happened a lot up until 1964. They used to segregate people of a different race at schools, diners, and even drinking fountains. 

Article posted September 10, 2011 at 02:45 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 67

My story is about cancer. So far in my family five people have been diagnosed with cancer and four of them passed away. My grandpa and three of his sons (my mom’s brother’s who are my uncles) died from cancer. My grandmother (my dad’s mom) has cancer, but is still alive and well. Clearly cancer goes around in the family and I am hoping that the next person to be diagnosed isn’t me. 

Article posted August 26, 2011 at 02:29 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 57

The best thing about 6th grade is the food we have for lunch it is a lot better than the Village and Elementary food. The best thing about 6th grade is that we have a lot more freedom. The best thing about 6th grade is that we have a lot less textbooks. The best thing about 6th grade is that we get Macbooks. The best thing about 6th grade is that we can go to the Spartan Store alone in the mornings now. The best thing about 6th grade is that we are in the Junior High.