Edward I was the king of England from 1272 to 1307. He was nick named “Longshanks” because of his height and stature. He was also nicknamed “The English Justinian” because like the Roman Justinian he organized his laws. He was born on June 17, 1239 at Westminster Palace and died on July 7, 1307 at Burgh on Sands, Cumberland. He was crowned on November 6, 1272 and served as king until the day he died. He was married to Eleanor of Provence and had 16 children with her, but when she died he married Margaret of France and had 3 children with her have 19 total children. He conquered Scotland but later the Scots rebelled against him. He is currently most commonly known for restoring royal authority. When he died his son, Edward had many financial problems because of the many wars his father had started including the war with the Scottish people.

Cites:

Bunson, Matthew. Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages. 1st ed. 1. New York City: Facts on File, 1995. 157-158. Print.

"Edward, Kings of England." (2012): n.pag. Britannica School Edition. Web. 1/31/12.

"Edward 1, Longshanks." Britannia. N.p., 2011. Web. 2 Feb 2012.

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 08:06 AM • comment • Reads 48 • see all articles