Article posted March 29, 2012 at 02:43 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 83

When I first heard of the book Drums, Girls, And Dangerous Pie, I knew it was a book that I would want to read. It is all about perseverance. The main character is a teenage boy named Steven. He thinks that the most annoying thing in the world is his little brother Jeffrey, but when something terrible happens to Jeffery, Steven is scared, stressed, and just hopes that his little brother will survive.They both have so much perserverence, that they might just be able to get though this.

For regular meals, most people ate pottage, a thick broth made from vegetables and meat. Everyone ate bread. Feasts could include roasted swans, peacocks, and an assortment of sweet and spicy dishes.  Peasants worked hard everyday except for Sundays. They also had very poor diets. Most peasants didn’t live any longer than 25 years. If we were them, we would of lived almost half of our life already! Women wore linen undergarments called kirtles. They wore long-sleeved tunics over their kirtles, and over their tunics, they wore a coat with opened sides and no sleeves, called a surcoat. Men wore loose tunics, which were like dresses that came down to their knees. They also wore woolen stockings (long socks) or hose. People liked music. Music was simple in the medieval times. People played one note at a time on a bunch of instruments.

Elliot, Lynne. Clothing in the Middle Ages. 1. US: Crabtree Publishing Company, 2004. 32. Print.

Langley, Andrew. Medieval Life. 1. New York: DK Publishing Incorporated, 2004. 72. Print.

. "Music and Romances." Scotland's History. Crown Copyright, 2011. Web. 2/1/12. <http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/scotlandshistory/medievallife/musicandromances/index.asp>.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 07:10 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 37

Your heart is pounding. Your palms are sweaty. It seems like your whole life is depending on this moment. You think your head is going to explode from all the stress. Messing up isn’t an option. You have to do it. You have to be perfect. You either do it, or you don’t. Let’s just hope you do it… 

I think that athletes should be good role models and good at what they do. I think that it is actually more important to be a good role model though. If you are a good role model, people want to be like you. You inspire them. That is why I think being a role model is more important.

Where can prejudice be found? Sadly, prejudice can be found in many places. It can be found in anywhere from schools, to job environments, to political places. It can happen anywhere. Some people just judge other people by what they look like.  Prejudice is wrong.

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 03:39 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 59

My academic goal is to Wordly Wise tests. I will achieve my goal by studying more. I want to meet my goal by the end of the school year. My spiritual goal is to read my bible more. I will achieve my goal by reading a little every day. I want to meet my goal by February. My social goal is to make new friends. I will achieve my goal by being nice and outgoing. I want to meet my goal by February.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:36 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

At the beginning, Prissy was unsure if she wanted to let the Yangs live in her house. It was a lot of responsibility and she wasn’t sure if she was going to be able to. She already had a daughter, and her husband traveled a lot. When the Yangs came to live with her and her family, she was a little stressed and didn’t have a lot of patience with them. Over time, she became to love them and care for them more, especially Linn. At the end of the story, She loved them like her own children. She also became more compassionate.

I like my name, Grace. I wouldn’t want to change it. I f I could change it though, I kind of like the name “Brooke.” When I was little, I wanted to change my name a lot. I didn’t like the name Grace. I wanted to be “Chelsea,” “Ashley,” “Ally,” and a lot of other random names. I also have a friend named Tori. I always have liked how fun, creative her name is and how nobody else has it. It fits her personality perfectly. Now, I like my name. It’s perfect.                      

She had gotten bored writing about herself and decided to write a real story. It took her a while to think of something, but finally, she had an idea. “Once upon a time…” No, that was at the beginning of all stories. “One day,” no, that wasn’t good enough. “Oh! I thought of something!” This is her story.

She was all alone, walking slowly and carefully down the shadow filled hallway. The air felt cold and heavy. A creepy moan filled the room. It got louder, and louder, and louder, until suddenly, out of nowhere - -

“BOO!”

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” I screamed.

“Ha! You were so scared!” laughed my best friend Lexi.

“I was reading my book! I was at a really scary part!” I whined.

“You always get SO scared! What are you going to do on Halloween?”

That thought had crossed my mind. I have always scared so easily over every little thing, and Halloween was approaching. I had even thought about not going. But I couldn’t do that to Lexi. No matter how much she made fun of me for scaring so easily, she would be devastated if I couldn’t come trick or treating with her. We had gone together ever since kindergarten, when we were both fairies. I had to go. For Halloween, I was going to have to be something really scary though. I wanted to be scary this year instead of scared.

“Whatever. See you later,” I sighed.

She started to walk away.

“WAIT!” I yelled. “Wanna eat dinner at my house on Halloween? Maybe we could sleepover at your house after.

I was the first year in a while that Halloween was actually going to be on a Friday. Everyone knows that Friday is the best day to go trick-or-treating.

“Sure,” she answered.

“Cool! That would be awesome!” I said a little quicker than necessary. Lexi looked at me awkwardly.

“Okay then,” she said as she started walking back home.

The next day at school, Lexi and I were walking in the hallway talking about Halloween.

“What are you going to be for Halloween?” I asked her.

“I think I might be a devil,” she replied. “My costume is going to be so awesome! Maybe you could be an angel.”

“Okay. That sounds cute,” I said.

During lunch, I sat with a group of friends. The whole conversation was about Halloween.

“I’m gonna be a hotdog!” giggled Rachel.

“I think I might be a witch!” Kenzie added, smiling.

Suddenly Brooke walked up to our table. Everyone knew that she had a reputation of being mean and bratty. We used to be best friends until Lexi moved here. She used to live in Florida, then her family moved to California because her dad had gotten a new job. When Lexi moved in next door to me, I knew we would be best friends. I invited her to my seventh birthday party, a sleepover. Brooke didn’t like Lexi and she was making it VERY obvious. After we had all fallen asleep, everyone except Brooke and I had fallen asleep. Brooke tip-toed to the fridge, and to my horror, took a soda, shook it up, and sprayed it in Lexi’s face. She woke up screaming, and began to cry. By now, everyone was wide awake, staring at Lexi. Her mom had to take her home. I felt sooooo bad for Lexi, so I did what any other seven-year-old would of done. I picked up the soda and sprayed it at Brooke’s face. I knew it was worth it, even though I got grounded for a month and everyone had to leave at 2:00 in the morning. The next day at school, I told Lexi what I did, and I could tell how happy she was that I would do that for her. We’ve been best friends ever since, but we still hate Brooke. I also don’t like soda that much anymore.

I pretended to read my book so Brooke wouldn’t notice me.

Once upon a time there was an eleven-year-old girl. She was sitting in her Language Arts class, typing on her Mac book. She was confused. She didn’t know what to write about. Her teacher said it just needed to be a creative writing piece, but she couldn’t think of anything. Everything that she thought about writing about wouldn’t work. All of her ideas just weren’t right. She just decided to write on her computer what she was doing, so she did.