-

by teacher: Julia Osteen

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 273

Laura is the daughter of Prissy, the woman who takes a family of seven into her home to save there lives. Prissy has to spend a lot of time with this family in need. To make matters worse, the family doesn't speak English, so that is just another reason for Prissy to spend time with them. Laura gets very jealous of all the attention they are getting. Laura feels like her parents aren't focusing there lives around Laura anymore. Laura is no longer the only child, so when her parents start to miss stuff like major cheer events, she thinks they just don't care. In the end, Laura grows to know and love the other seven kids that are practically part of her family know.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:47 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 62

The story I learned my lesson from the book The Poisonous Yuck Bugs.  In this story, there were two bugs called ‘Yuck Bugs’, one blue with red spots and the other red with blue spots.  These yuck bugs would call other animals mean things, like to the giraffe: “You stink!” or to the turtle: “Looking bad, today, slowpoke!”  These hurtful words would make the other animals sick, their faces turned green at the sound.  Every animal in the forest stayed away from the yuck bugs, nobody wanted to be with animals who shout poisonous words at you all of the time.  But one day when the yuck bugs were eating their lunch of a leaf, the blue one ripped it, and the red one got MAD.  He started shouting yuck-words at the blue one, and the poison worked it’s trick- the blue one felt sick.  The animals in the jungle had a book of rules, and one of the rules was this:  No Yuck Bugs Shall Use Yuck Words On Other Yuck Bugs.  The red one had just broken this rule and he felt sorry, but the blue one was not forgiving- he was both sick, and MAD.  He started using yuck-words on the red one, and this kept on going on until they were both nearly dead with the yuck-word poison!  But then- just their luck- this butterfly came along (she was a healing butterfly) she rested on their tree-of-a-home and she looked down.  She say the yuck bugs and started saying nice things about them-  that is basically the ‘antidote’ to the yuck words- and the poison started healing, the yuck bugs got up, and they apologized to each other, they thanked the butterfly, she flew away, and from then until now they never say mean yuck words- they say nice words.  To the giraffe: “Spots are the new ‘cool’!” or to the turtle: “Looking good!”   They all lived happily ever after.  I learned from this that you should NEVER say mean things and that you should always be nice and kind and loving.  Because mean words are like yuck words- they have a poison of their own.  

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:34 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 70

Throughout this movie Laura Changed. Laura was George and Prissy’s daughter who lives in Chattanooga, TN. At first she thought that it was all about her from being an only child. When she heard the family was going to take in a family of 7, she didn’t like it because she thought all of the attention would go away from her. For example, she had to go to a cheerleading competition and she wanted her mom to see it, but her mom was busy taking care of the Cambodian family’s house that fell down. But when she got to really meet the family, she learned how others are much less fortunate than her. She learned to respect them and have a good time with them and share the attention.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:45 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 56

In the movie: The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, Linn Yang started off as girl in Cambodia. She was a slave in a camp and had to dig in the trashcans for food. A family in Chattanooga took her and her family of seven to live with them. Linn had never seen anything like this and wasn’t so sure about this at first, but then learned to trust them. When she came in to the country she didn’t know any English and that was very hard for her. She went to school and finally learned English. She was very successful in all the races and contests she was in, but only saw them as tests. She thought she needed to win at everything in order to survive. Linn learned that she did not have do everything right, just her best.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:42 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 154

Prissy Thrash

In the movie The Girl Who Spelled Freedom there was a lady named Prissy. Prissy is an older lady. In the beginning of the story she didn’t really think it would be a good idea for her and her family to have 6 extra kids in the house. She told her husband, George, that she wasn’t good with kids and that she wouldn’t be able to handle them all alone. They ended up taking the family in anyway. At first Prissy really wasn’t able to communicate with them because she couldn’t speak their language. She didn’t enjoy having them around much. Then George started to teach the kids English. It was a little easier to communicate with them then. In the end Prissy loved the family as her own.

In the movie, The Girl who Spelled Freedom, Linn changed from a poor Cambodia girl. She was a slave and she needed a better life. A family called the Thrashes took Linn’s family into there home and raised them. Lin did not know a bit of English, but with the help of Prissie and the Thrash family she ends up winning a spelling bee. Lin ends up on a newspaper. Linn changed so much.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:39 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 69

Character: Laura Thrash

In the movie “ The girl who spelled freedom” the daughter’s name is Laura. Her parents adopt a Cambodian family of 6. Laura feels great about adopting the family. When the family comes it is hard because they don’t know English. When Laura’s mom gives all her time and effort to the family Laura is upset. Laura feels like her mom is leaving her behind. Laura is jealous of the family. Then she realizes her selfishness and is truly sorry. Then she is very happy for the family and helps out as much as she can. This was a great movie and the theme is overcoming obstacles.   

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:36 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

At the beginning, Prissy was unsure if she wanted to let the Yangs live in her house. It was a lot of responsibility and she wasn’t sure if she was going to be able to. She already had a daughter, and her husband traveled a lot. When the Yangs came to live with her and her family, she was a little stressed and didn’t have a lot of patience with them. Over time, she became to love them and care for them more, especially Linn. At the end of the story, She loved them like her own children. She also became more compassionate.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:36 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 166

~The Girl Who Spelled Freedom~

Throughout this movie many people have changed. One of the ones that stood out to me is Prissy Thrash. In the beginning, Prissy didn’t want the Yann’s to stay with them because she didn’t want to get sick. She didn’t want to feed them because it would take more work than usual. When she saw how George worked with the kids and then tried to learn English, she realized she really did like them. Toward the end Prissy really had feelings for the Yang’s especially Linn Yang. I think Linn would defiantly be my favorite out of the Yang’s. She tried her hardest to learn the American language and ways. Prissy was very patient and loving. See how she changed?

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:48 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 66

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

In the movie, The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, we watched a Cambodian girl named Linn Yang go through hard times and change. Some ways she changed was she originally was fearful of lots of common American things because she was a slave who lived in poverty and didn’t have any technology. Another way she changed was she changed her language and eventually was able to win the Spelling Bee. Also Linn didn’t like to lose and she didn’t like it when things didn’t go her way so she would hide and cry but in the end Prissy told her it was okay to lose as long as you try your hardest and do all that you can. Linn thought that if she didn’t do something right the soldiers would come to kill her. This story teaches me that even when I feel my world is falling apart someone will always be there to help and protect me.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:46 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 81

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

In the movie, The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, Linn Yang goes through many hard times and troubles. Back in Cambodia every day she had the constant fear of being killed. When she came to the U.S she had to get over that fear of being killed because in the U.S. she is free. Also, when she came to the U.S she didn’t know a word of English but during the movie she started leaning English with the help of teachers. Eventually she was able to win the Chattanooga Spelling Bee. Throughout the movie Linn came from a country where people were being killed and came to America where Prissy and George helped her through her troubles and gave her free life. This story is very inspiring because it shows that nothing is impossible.

Wow! Can you believe the changes in Linn throughout the movie, “The Girl who Spelled Freedom”! So there was a girl name Linn, a refugee from Cambodia, who came to America and lived in a foster home with her mom and 5 siblings. She learned English and overcame her fears about soldiers coming to her home. She overcame the difficulty there is when you move to a brand new place with toilets, stores, and electricity. All of these things were new to her! Linn ended up winning the spelling bee and that was really amazing considering she had just learned English. She was an inspiration throughout this movie and a lot of people who move here from other countries would go through similar things, which is really amazing that they can overcome so much and grow so much in such a small amount of time.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:53 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 59

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

Oh my goodness what is happening are they okay?! I just saw a great movie called, The Girl Who Spelled Freedom. In this movie there were a lot of different changes in the characters I saw a lot of changes in Linn Yang. The background of this movie is, a Cambodian family that were slaves and are now refugees are going to America to be helped, and they fly to Chattanooga, Tennessee. In America the Thrash family which will be watching the Cambodian family and they have to adjust to their new life. What I saw with Linn Yang was that she was very smart and talented. In one scene George the dad of the Thrash family is explaining how to work things and is counting and Linn teaches him how to say it in Khmer. I also saw how when Linn went to school she was picking up on the new school life and adjusting fast. One last thing I saw was that she spelled really well and one the Spelling Bee. I think this was a awesome movie and very enjoyable.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 07:42 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 84

Linn Yang

By Tony Wyche

Linn was a slave in a very poor country, but she had the opportunity to live with another family. The family that took Linn and her family were the Thrashes. She changed from a poor slave to a happy girl. When she first stepped into America, she didn’t speak any English. A few years later, she won the spelling bee. This movie is called The Girl Who Spelled Freedom. She was a really good speller, and she became free.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 04:14 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 167

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

My blog post is about the movie “The Girl Who Spelled Freedom”, I’m going to talk about the character, Prissy Thrash. In the beginning of the story Prissy was kind of against the fact that a family of seven was coming to live with her family. She thought that she couldn’t handle it. When The Yang family first gets there they are very nervous and don’t speak English. Prissy gets very frustrated with the family at first. As, the family starts to learn English and get more comfortable with the Trash family; Prissy starts to get comfortable with them as well. By the end, when Lin really relies on Prissy and is ever fond of her, Prissy is her fond of the rest of the family too. By the end, the Trash and Yang families combined into one big family. Prissy completely changed her thoughts over The Yang family, this movie really showed me how you can over come hard times.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

The girl who cried freedom is a family of 6 who go to American and gets used to the technology they don’t have in their old country. Well the main character is Ling Yang and her mom is Phon Yang. At first they were very sick one very severely and when they give her medicine they think they are poisoning her (they never seen medicine). In a few years Linn got used to America and she one a spelling bee and now she is honored to be in America

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:53 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 44

Linn Yang is a young girl who started living in America after she lived in a country in Asia called Cambodia. Soldiers tortured her and her family. They go to America to live with Prissy, Laura, and George Thrash. When her family gets there, they are really scared. They do not know what to do or where to go. They do not know how to speak English. They start to store food in a bag and hide it in the laundry room. Then, suddenly they start to learn English. Linn starts to speak English first in the family. Then the kids start to go to school. She decides to enter a spelling bee and she wins. I think Linn changed because at first she was really scared, but then she started to gain trust in Prissy and her family.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:35 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 48

Throughout the story of Linn Yang you saw her overcome her fears. When her and her family first moved to America they were afraid and not sure about their surroundings. Linn was kind of scared of all of the new people she was meeting and of the new things. She had to overcome her fears of using toilets and of trusting people. Throughout the movie Linn learned to trust Prissy. When Linn went to school she was very scared to go and she depended on Prissy to help her. Linn kind of overcame her fear with the help of Prissy. When Linn went to the spelling bee she was at first afraid that if she didn’t win she would not survive. Prissy could not help Linn overcome this fear so Linn had to do it by herself. Linn overcame her fear and she won the spelling bee. Linn at first needed help to overcome her fears but now she can overcome her fears without help. 

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:53 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 94

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

The movie The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, Linn Yang and her family come from leave Cambodia because a war is going on and come to Chattanooga, Tennessee to live with the Thrash family. Linn and her family are confused about all the things that they didn’t have in Cambodia, like the toilet. Soon, Linn goes to school. Linn is a little scared about going to school because she doesn’t know any English. Linn is not very confident. Linn soon adjusts to school and life in the U.S.A., and learns many English words. Linn becomes very smart, and she wins a contest for reading the most books. Then, Linn qualifies for the county spelling bee. She spells lots of words and then there are the two finalists left. The other finalist spells a word wrong, and then Linn spells the other finalist’s word correctly. Linn’s last word was acronym. She spells, “A-C-R-O-N-Y-M”. Then Linn won the spelling bee. Linn Yang overcame many obstacles when she came to America, but she became confident in herself and she was happy that she was free.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:38 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 55

How Linn Changed

By LH7

Linn Yang, a character from the movie The Girl who Spelled Freedom, definitely changed over time. Linn had many fears when she first arrived in America, because there was a war going on in her home country, Cambodia. She had seen frightening things that made her very fearful. But overtime, she overcame her fears and became more confident. Her personality also changed. In the beginning, she was very shy and timid, and she would not talk. But as she got to know the Thrash family better, she started to open up. She started talking to the family, and she got to go to school and learn English! Another reason how she changed is that she learned to overcome obstacles. She had to get used to living in a new country, and then she had to get used to moving to a new house, and she had to learn English! She couldn’t speak a word when she came to America, and then she ended up winning a spelling bee! I think that Linn changed because she had a new, free life in America.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:59 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 51

The Girl who spelled freedom

Character: Laura Thrasher

In The story, “The Girl so spelled freedom” Laura Thrasher is Prissy’s daughter. Laura changes by first being very supportive of Linn, because Laura knew that Prissy wasn’t very exited about getting the Cambodian family to live with them. Then, Laura became jealous of all the attention Prissy was giving Linn, instead of giving it to her. In the end, Laura realized that Linn wasn’t that bad.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:45 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 60

Linn Yang

By: NK7

These are the ways that Linn Yang, the girl who spelled freedom, changed as a character. Linn started as a girl who trusted only her family. She was very closed off from the world. For example, she stole food from the guards at the refugee camp, along with her mother. She lost the ring she had because of it. Linn never saw any of the modern things we have today. She ha only seen the food truck, and that was when it came to feed everyone. When Linn came to the Thrashes, she didn’t expect them to be kind to her or her family. But as the story progressed, you could slowly see that she was warming up to them. In the end, it shows that she has a lot of friends and is a more confident girl. And that is how she spelled freedom for everyone who went through hard times.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:43 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 80

Linn was very shy then throughout obstacles and other things she became for tough and not as scared. When she first came over from Cambodia she didn’t know any English and she was very timid. But after George and Prissy Thrash took the family in and showed them what it was like to be an American she got much better. School also affected her. She learned that she couldn’t always win and that sometimes you have to lose and just because you lose that doesn’t mean there is a punishment. Linn change a lot through out the book especially with all her fears that she had to over come!

Phon Yang changed a lot during the movie. At first she thought that there wasn’t enough food and began to hoard the food in their room. Later when Prissy had to give Phon’s children medicine she thought that Prissy was feeding her kids poison. At the end of the movie she didn’t hide food. She helped Prissy give her kids medicine, because she understood that they needed it. She opened up to the thrash family. They became part of her family. Phon Yang changed for the better and became much more trusting of the Thrash family.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:50 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 70

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

In The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, a little girl named Linn Yang comes to America from Cambodia. The Vietnam War is going on and Linn and her family are the run.  They make it to America and are taken in by the Thrash family. At first there is trouble but soon the Cambodian family learns English. Linn is very smart and always wants to win no matter what. She then wins the regional spelling which is amazing because 4 years ago she couldn’t speak English. She is finally free.

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom

In this movie (The Girl Who Spelled Freedom) Prissy (The wife) changed the most over time in this movie. First off she wanted one mom and once children, by the end she was happy to have one mom and 6 children. Second when she got the children she was scared but once she got to know them she loved the a lot. Third, when the kids first got there George was most involved; by the end she was the most involved. Lastly, At the very first part of the movie there was a lot of tension, but once Prissy got through that she loved the kids and gave them the things they needed. Prissy was not positive when she got the children but by the end she loved them very much.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 04:15 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 61

The Girl who Spelled Freedom

Prissy

In the beginning of the story Prissy is feeling sad for the family, but the closer the time comes to meting them she doesnt want to because she doesnt know if she will be able to handle it. She already has a daughter Laura, who is an only child. Prissy doesnt fell like she has the patience for 6 children, 7 including Laura. When she and George go to pick up the children and the mother, she is in a bad mood. Therefore, at the end of the story, she is like the foundation for Linn, Linn could always look for her and depend on her. She turns out to be ok and is happy for the family and Linn.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:45 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 69

In The Girl Who Spelled Freedom, Linn Yang overcomes a great challenge. Linn Yang is a little girl who has come from Cambodia with her family of 7 (including Linn). The Thrash’s decide to take in and care for this family of 7. Even though no one in the Yang family speaks English, Linn and her siblings go to elementary school. After 4 years, Linn is able to speak English so fluently; she competes in a county spelling bee…and wins! In the end, Linn and her family get settled in their new home, and are so grateful for the Thrash family.

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom- How Prissy Thrash Changed

Prissy Thrash was a character that changed over time and was influenced by the Cambodian family. She was nervous to take on a whole family of seven because she felt she already had enough on her hands, but since she knew their horrific background, she took them in. She started impatient because she couldn’t communicate with them, and they did things they would do in Cambodia, like stock up on food just in case they would not have any, and they did not use the bathroom, after all, they did not know how to-they had never seen them before. Over time, when the Yang family and the Thrash family could communicate and they learned to use the bathrooms and other conveniences, things got easier and Prissy softened up to the family, and the Yangs did the same-Prissy became the center of their lives. Because of the Cambodians, Prissy became a more patient, and kind person.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:50 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 530

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:42 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 55

This movie is called The Girl Who Spelled Freedom and Its about the Yang family that lives in Cambodia and that are trapped in this camp and are like slaves. You also have the other family the Thrash family, they see the article in the newspaper about the war in Cambodia and how they are struggling to survive. Then The Thrash family wants to adopt the Yang family. When the Yang family arrives at Chattanooga were the Thrashes lived they didn’t know how to speak any English. The Thrashes taught them English and they became fluid English speakers. The Girl in the story that spelt freedom was Linn Yang a little girl in the Yang family. She had this special drive to always win in everything and she did. She got first place in the spelling bee! That just shows you that no matter if you live in poverty or not you can do whatever you want if you set your mind to it.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:51 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 357

Prissy

Chattanooga woman Prissy Trash was shocked when her husband began talking about taking in a Cambodian family. She became even more shocked when he told her it was a family of seven. After some coaxing, Prissy relented and allowed the family to come in her home. She was disgusted and very unsurprised to find that they were sick and she didn’t want them in her home.  She tried to teach them how to use modern conveniences and get them to realize they didn’t have to save food. She became frustrated with them and annoyed that they couldn’t understand the concepts she was trying to teach them. After a while she grew fond of the family and came to like them more. Eventually she loved the family very much and cared for them like her own family. In the beginning Prissy had a stone cold heart toward the family, but in the end she began to care for them. It just shows how one thing can change a person so much.

r blog here!

Phon Yang changed from what she learned in the movie A Girl Who Spelled Freedom. At first she was trying to get her kids out of Cambodia and into a refugee camp in Thailand. She got a flight to America where she was paired up with the Thrashes, a family who wanted to help protect one of the refugee families. The Thrashes took Phon and her six kids to the doctor, and he had to give them lots of medicine especially the youngest. She didn’t like it when the Thrashes tried to give the youngest kid medicine, and she tried to hoard the food given to them because she didn’t realize there was plenty of it. She changed because she learned to trust and allow other people to help her.