Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Slater and Ms. Nelles Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Image by FlamingText.com

by Mrs. Slater and Ms. Nelles

Bitstrips
Nelson Math 5
Nelson Math 6
UG2GO
Grade 5 Math Practice
Grade 6 Math Practice
Story Bird
UG Cloud

Article posted June 14, 2013 at 03:45 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 3777

Our Summer Fest concert is this Monday, June 24th at 6:00pm. Please be at the school at 5:45 and meet in the appropriate classroom. We will be sitting outside as a class to watch the performances. At the end of the concert you will be reunited with your family.

If you are unable to attend Summer Fest, please let your teacher know.

Please note there is NO raindate. In the event of inclement weather, Summer Fest will be cancelled. Please watch for information on Monday.

Here's what's happening this week:

• Monday, June 24th: Summer Fest 6pm

• Tuesday, June 25th: Colour Day

• Tuesday, June 25th: Awards assembly

• Thursday, June 27th: Last day of school!!!!!!

We have had a wonderful year with our students. Have a safe and happy summer!!

Article posted June 7, 2013 at 01:22 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 215

Hope you had a nice long weekend!

Here is what is happening this week:

Booktalk presentations will be happening throughout the week. Make sure you are practicing at home.

• Tuesday June 11: Bus Patrol Training

• Wednesday June 12: Math Test -Transformational Geometry

• Thursday June 13: Book Fair begins

• Friday June 14: City Track and Field

It feels good to be in the home stretch but we still have some final assessments to get out of the way including this week's geometry test. Make sure that you complete the geometry review booklet that went home and see your teacher if you have any questions.

Homework for this week: Review for the Geometry test and rehearse your Booktalk.

Article posted May 31, 2013 at 04:22 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 236

Here's what's happening this week:

• Monday, June 3: EQAO continues for grade sixes

• Tuesday, June 4: EQAO continues for grade sixes

• Wednesday, June 5: EQAO make-up day for students who have been absent

• Wednesday, June 5: Booktalks begin. Your booktalk must be written at school but you should be practising at home!

• Thursday, June 6: Junior Track and Field - all day (please wear hats, sunscreen, and bring waterbottles)

• Friday, June 7: P.A. Day for students

Thank you to all the parents who have offered to send in healthy treats during our EQAO testing. It is much appreciated and a highlight for the students.

Homework:

Due to EQAO testing, Track and Field and the P.A. Day on Friday, there will be NO HOMEWORK this week.

Enjoy!

Article posted May 24, 2013 at 04:38 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 275

Dear Parents,

EQAO for grade sixes starts Friday May 31st and continues on Monday and Tuesday June 3rd and 4th. We are encouraging all of the students to ensure that they are well-rested and have had a good breakfast each morning. We will be starting promptly at 8:35 each morning in order to make sure that students have adequate time to complete each section. There are six sections in the test and they must be completed in order.

Traditionally parents have sent in healthy snacks as a treat for students writing EQAO. If you are able to contribute something to the class, please jot a note in the agenda indicating what you will be sending, how much and on what day. Thanks in advance! 

Here's what's happening this week:

• Monday, May 27 - Social Studies tests have been sent home, please sign and return

• Wednesday, May 29 - DARE for grade sixes

• Thursday, May 30 - Homework due

• Friday, May 31 - EQAO for grade sixes begins

Homework:

Another math review booklet is being sent home to be completed and handed in by Thursday. Remember to show all of your work and communicated your thinking clearly for the two word problems. Read each question carefully and eliminate unreasonable answers logically. 

Article posted May 17, 2013 at 03:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 270

Welcome back!

Here's what is happening this week:

• Monday May 20 - Victoria Day Holiday

• Wednesday May 22 - DARE for grade 6

• Friday May 24 - Zumba Party: Fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis- please bring a donation

• Friday May 24 - SHARKS swimming for grade 5

• Friday May 24 - homework packages due

Math this week will focus on 2 dimensional views of 3D structures and transformational geometry (rotations, translations, reflections of shapes). We will continue to review effective reading strategies and various writing forms (letters, persuasive, etc.).

Homework: Grade 6 students will be given an EQAO math practice package to complete. This is a sample of a past test so is both a review of what we have learned this past year and to get familiar with the multiple choice part of the EQAO test. Remember you must show evidence of your work on each question. There may be one or two questions that you may have trouble with, but try your best and ask for help if needed. This will be taken up in class on Friday.

Grade 5 students will be given a different math package to complete. Again, it is multiple choice, remember to show your work.

Article posted May 10, 2013 at 04:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 232

We hope you had a lovely Mother's Day and that you made your mom feel extra special!

Here is what is happening this week:

• Monday May 13 - DARE for grade 6

• Tuesday May 14 - Room 6 Bake Sale - first recess

• Friday May - 17 - Social Studies test and homework due

• Friday May 17 - SHARKS swimming for grade 5

Don't forget that EQAO testing for grade sixes is coming up at the end of May. Please try not to schedule any appointments for May 31, June 3, and June 4.

In Math this week we will continue to practice determining the volume of rectangular and triangular prisms and will also learn to calculate the surface area of these 3D shapes. We will also be examining front, side and top views of 3D structures.

This week's language will focus on more preparation for EQAO testing with a review of procedural writing, and practice reading comprehension questions and grammar. Don't forget Friday's Social Studies test. A study sheet went home last week but study notes should also be made to help prepare you for the test. Please see your teacher if you need assistance with this.

Homework:

1. Study for your upcoming Social Studies test.

2. Procedural writing assignment: Write instructions that explain how to best prepare for an upcoming test in school. A template will be provided for you to complete the instructions. Organize your ideas on the front carefully before beginning to write. Be sure to edit for spelling and grammar before handing in your completed assignment by Friday.

Article posted May 3, 2013 at 04:03 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 194

What a beautiful weekend! We hope you got a chance to get out and enjoy it!

Here is what is happening this week:

• Monday May 6 - DARE for grade sixes

• Wednesday May 8 - Emergency Preparedness Day for grade fives

• Thursday May 9 - Green Legacy Nursery field trip (please see letter that went home with permission form for times, clothing, litterless lunch, etc.)

• Friday May 10 - homework due

• Sunday May 12 - Mother's Day (do something extra special for your mom)

We are wrapping up our mini unit on Probability in math this week and will be moving on to exploring volume and surface area of 3D shapes. We are doing EQAO-type reviews of reading passages with both multiple choice and short answer responses.  We will also be writing summaries of non-fiction texts.

Homework for this week:

Write an announcement about a well-known person (of your choice), who will be visiting Aberfoyle P.S.  A good announcement should include: an effective hook (to capture the audience's attention), time and place specifics, relevant and important details about the event and a good conclusion that encourages people to attend.

Before writing your announcement, organize your ideas clearly on the template provided and include this with your submitted announcement.

***Be prepared to read your announcement with good expression, appropriate volume and good eye contact.***

Article posted April 26, 2013 at 03:27 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 228

Wow! It's the end of April already!

Here is what's happening this week:

• Monday April 29 - DARE for grade sixes

• Thursday May 2 - Colour Day (wear your team colour and show your spirit!)

• Friday May 3 - homework due

Upcoming reminders: Please return permission forms for our trip to Green Legacy May 9th. EQAO for grade sixes will begin on Friday, May 31 and continues June 3rd and 4th. There will be some review material coming home in the next couple of weeks.

In Language we will be focusing on summarizing non-fiction texts and determining the main idea. We will also be writing a second narrative story.  In Math we will be learning to calculate percentages in order to determine the cost of items, subtracting discounts and adding taxes. We will also be exploring/ using fractions and ratios in relation to probability.

Homework for this week:

The following questions have to do with using percents in day to day life. Try to solve these problems using what you already know about percents. Think logically!

Estimate to solve the following. Show your work:  What is 50% of the students in a class of 24 students?    What is 10% of a busload of 62 students?    What is 10% off the cost of a t-shirt if the cost is $12.99?    What is 50% off shoes whose full price is $79.95?  What is 25% of a 10kg bag of sugar?    What is the 15% tip on a meal that costs $25.00?

Article posted April 19, 2013 at 04:28 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 131

Hope you're enjoying the PA Day!

Here's what's happening this week:

• Monday, April 22 - P.A. Day

• Tuesday, April 23 - Earth Day litter clean-up

• Thursday, April 25 - DARE for grade sixes

• Friday, April 26 - Twin/Triplet Day! Homework due and multiplication and division facts speed test

In Language we will be moving on to determining the main idea and summarizing non-fiction texts. We will also be wrapping up our mini unit on fractions, decimals and percent. There will be a short quiz at the end of the week. Students are encouraged to come in for extra help if needed.

We wil also be assigning a group project in Social Studies. Watch for more information.

Homework for this week:

1. What percent might you use to describe each of the following? Justify your thinking.  (a) all   (b) almost all  (c) none   (d) almost none   (e) a little over half   (f) just less than one fourth

2. Write each set of numbers as percents and order them from least to greatest.   (a) 16%, 1/10, 0.14, 0.9   (b) 0.98, 12/15, 87%, 0.89   (c) 40%, 0.59, 6/8, 0.38

3. Elizabeth has lived half her life in Toronto and one third of her life in Vancouver. She then moved to Aberfoyle. If she has lived in Aberfoyle for four years, how old is Elizabeth now? Show your steps and explain your thinking clearly.

Article posted April 15, 2013 at 04:05 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 181

Welcome back after an unexpectedly LONG weekend!

Here is what's happening this week:

• Monday April 15 - gr. 5 Humane Society Visit, gr. 6 - DARE

• Friday April 19 - Earth Day litter clean-up, homework due

This week we will (hopefully) be finishing up our narrative stories/ books for our Reading Buddies and will begin a second narrative. We will also be working on answering comprehension questions effectively after reading a text. We are continuing our focus on fractions in math, comparing, ordering and creating equivalent fractions. This will be leading into work with decimals and percent later in the week. This is a crucial concept for upcoming EQAO testing in May for grade sixes so be sure to come in for extra help if you are having difficulty.

We are currently learning about the Ancient Egyptian culture (gr. 5) and early First Nations people (gr. 6) in Social Studies. Parents, please sign and return Science and Math tests when they come home. Please watch agendas for these items.

Homework for this week:

#1  Copy the following story and fill in each of the blanks with one of the numbers listed so that the story makes sense.

Numbers: 2/5, 0.90, 0.50, 18/10, 0.40. 1/2

Maggie needs $___ for a one-way bus fare to visit her Grandma. In her piggy bank she only has $___, which is ___ of a dollar. She asks her Mom for $___ to make up the difference. Another name for that amount is ___ of a dollar. If Maggie were to return home on the bus as well, she would need a total of ___ of a dollar.

#2 Write your own story that uses 5 fractions or decimals. Make sure that you take out the fractions and decimals in your final copy and list them in a different order so that a classmate can solve it.

Nelles 6A
Slater 5/6