Welcome to our classroom blog. We will use this as our tool to post writings and hold discussions. It will aid us in becoming better writers and thinkers as we journey through this year's literature experience.

teacher: Spill Dieterich

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 55

#3 Position B

The usage of manpower throughout some wars (exclusively the Vietnam war) can be debatably described as neglected. The United Stated government should not base its declarations of war solely on if we are or are not attacked on U.S. soil/embassies.

In Vietnam, many men's lives were shrewn by the weapons and snares of The Viet Cong. When looking for the source of our involvment, American citizens can turn to the men and women in the government. In the first Article, Section Eight of the Constution, Congress is given the power to declare war, yet in 1964, the Tokin Gulf Resolution, the President Johnson was given the ability to send military to South Vietnam. His actions were based on the Tokin Gulf Incident where it was said that the Vietnamese fired the first shot, but later some skepticals believed differently. In this case the violence caused the U.S.'s move towards war. The majority of the U.S, stated that they did not think that Vietnam was their war so many people did not support it, and a considerable few protested it. Using the Tokin Gulf Incident as a basis for war declaration, was not a wise move because if the government would have waited to organize their reasons and armed forces, they might not have had to lose so many men's lives to the war. Also America has allies, and sometimes it is appropriate for the U.S. to get involved in foriegn affairs, yet if we were to base our war declarations on attacks against us, military aid might never reach those who need it. As a repercussion of this, when we find ourselves in need of our allies, they might not be there. In this way, the authorization of war, and military action, should be carefully considered with the many variables that will come into the situation, and the following consequences from the variables.

If I was being sent of to war and I could only have three personal items to carry I would bring, a piece of my favorite blanket, my father's pocket knife, and a portable water filter. The reason I would bring these spesific items is for survival of the mind and body. The blanket is important because I have had it since I was young and it would always comfort me. As a little girl, I had bad allergies and severe eczema and the only texture of fabric that would not irritate my rashes, was the blanket. Though I've outgrown my tendancy to have outbreaks, the blanket is still so inviting, and always makes me feel relaxed. The piece would remind me of happier times, and comfort me. The knife would be used as a tool and (I hope I never have to use it as) a weapon. In many survival situations with limited resources the wedge that a knife's blade supplies can be life saving. Also since it is my dad's, I will remember him and that will remind me of the strength in my blood. A water filter can be one of the most useful tools in survival especially in harsh combat situations because dehydration and dirty water can be a soldier's worst enemy. By having the filter I can hydrate myself and others with clean water. Another use of the water filter could be for providing clean water with which to clean wounds. All of these items would be useful, when going to war, in terms of preserving my life as well as my sense of humanity.

Article posted April 18, 2012 at 04:57 AM GMT • comment • Reads 93

The Vietnam War is known as one of America's most conrtoversial wars. In the begining of the sequence of events that led to, and became the Vietnam War, there was a change in the leaders in control of Vietnamese government. At this point Vietname was being controlled by the French and Japanese, who both sought eachother's demise. and fought This was when Ho Chi Minh returned to Vietnam and sucessfuly forced out the French and Japanese powers. With the election og Ngo Dinh Diem, many Southern Vietnamese were stirred and thus a feud was born between those who supported communism and those who did not. When North Vietnam shot at U.S.water vessels in the Gulf of Tokin Incident, COngress decided to give President Johnson the ability to send troops to Vietnam. This was when the drafting started. The way the draft worked was when a young man became 18 years old, and graduated high school he was to register for the draft, where they would set up a lottery and select troops based on date of birth. Many people were opposed to the drafting because they felt as though it was not their war to fight. As the resistance against drafting continued, the number of those known as "conscientious objectors" were outnumbering the number of those who were drafted. Some of the men who were exempt included college students, the physically disabled, and the married. The hope for a victory in Vietnam was quickly fading wiht the lacking support of the American civillians, which lowered the hopes of the troops who were fighting. Average Americans were able to witness, through pictures, some of the monstrosities the boys were dying in, and struggling through. The soldiers were faced with a skilled and very powerful enemy; the Viet Cong untied with North Vietnam. As time prevaded the fighting droned on, and the communists were getting the advantage. The realization that the U.S. and South Vietnam were not able to withstand the Communist forces in the country, led to Nixon deciding to gradually withdraw troops. The last American troops left Vietnam in 1973 with the notion that they did not have enough man power to overthrow the communists. Consequently, the weak South Vietnam surrendered in 1975, and became unified with the rest of Communist Vietnam in 1976. Here is where the question continues, was entering Vietnam necessary for the losses endured?

Kindig, Jessie. "Vietnam War: Draft Resistance."

Washington.edu. University of Washington. Web.

16 Apr. 2012.

<[LINK]

t.shtml>.

Rosenburg, Jennifer. "Vietnam War." About.com. About.com. Web. 16 Apr. 2012. <[LINK]>.

"THE VIETNAM LOTTERIES." Sss.gov. Selective Service System. Web. 16 Apr. 2012. <[LINK]>.

Article posted February 27, 2012 at 03:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

White foam

of Ocean’s

s p r a y

throws boughs of praise

to Sun’s

rays.

Shining light

sends

fit

Into frenzied

fret.

Seeds run through birth.

Grass stands

Together in strands.

Erect and tall

Bend; do not fall.

Nourished to

nourishment

Grazing on shrubs,

The Creatures of the Valley

Sing and

dance in love.

Love into

life.

S t o r m s l o o m

With many thunderous

boom,

Man is the hose,

e

v

i

l

f

l

o

w

s

Evil is

no current of

Earth.

Article posted February 18, 2012 at 03:29 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

White foam

of Ocean’s spray

throws boughs of praise

to Sun’s rays.

Shining light sends fit

Into frenzied fret.

Seeds run through birth.

Grass stands

Together in strands.

Erect and tall

Bend; do not fall.

Nourished to nourishment

Grazing on shrubs,

The Creatures of theValley

Sing and dance in love.

Love into life.

Storms loom

With many thunderous boom,

Man is the hose,

evil flows

Evil is no current of Earth.

Article posted December 20, 2011 at 05:29 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

The world is vast cold place full of different people and spirits that night influence them. The most important key to survival was to overcome instincts and work together to protect each other and stay alive. In parts of the world, people have to endure worse circumstances that demand more of this cooperation, alliance, and unity. In the poverty littered streets of Kolkata, India, one might find busy women passing through the overcrowded avenues with baskets atop their heads, weaving through beggars. Around them small groups of orphans run through the street bare footed looking for nourishment, among free-roaming farm animals, strangers and the overwhelming perfume of food and smoke hanging in the air. Across the street are vendors in their kiosks offering whatever they can for any junk they may have been able to scavenge out from various trash yards. On the edge of the road there might be a seemingly quaint tea-house that is a guise for the brothel within. As the gangs of children grow up together they must stay with one another to avoid such a fate as being stolen by the claws of human traffickers.

In the neighboring province of Bahir, the three Yigael orphans were conversing about what their next move was going to be. Palomi was the youngest of the three at 13 years old, while her older brother, Vladermar was 15, and her oldest brother, Yasir, 17. They had lost their parents seven months ago in a house fire where they lost everything they had other than the clothes they had on their backs. The farm lands their family had owned had been auctioned off, because the children were too young to own land, and the insignificant sum they were allotted quickly ran dry. Since they had grown up in the country they had been taught the knowledge of the land’s natural resources and how to live off them. In this manner the trio was able to manage a meager existence. They assumed a nomadic lifestyle that could sustain them but Yasir was convinced, through the stories he had been told, that the cities were where he could find a job to be able to provide for his siblings.

Under the star riddled sky of a cold autumn night, the three sat around a fire keeping warm and eating some of the grasses Palomi had collected during their day’s voyage. Vlademar had been grouchy all day and constantly complained about how he was hungry and they needed money to get something decent to eat. Palomi had fallen sound asleep and Yasir had begun to nod off against a nearby tree but Vlademar was still kept awake by hunger pains. He was not as easily adjusted to their unfortunate situation because often he was the victim of abuse from the children who lived back in their village. Parentless children were frowned upon, teased and bullied by more fortunate youngsters who were cruel and felt as though they should make their elevated rank known. These events had made Vlademar’s young heart bitter and hardened even though his siblings tried to soothe his emotional wounds. Trying to distract himself from such memories, he wondered around the forested area when he suddenly heard the hushed rugged voices of two men who seemed to be negotiating.

“If only I could rid myself of that horrid child; she is no good to me. What else is a daughter, who cannot pass on my name nor get married off, good for?” spoke one of the figures.

“Ah but my friend there is a way to fix this imposition and possibly add a little more money to your pocket”, began the other, “there is a teashop in Kolkata that buys girls...”

With hesitation the first man replied, “How much would I receive?”

“Depends, if she is young and still a virgin, probably enough to buy a cow.”

“Then we shall be off to Kolkata at once!” the man replied as the two burst into laughter as the faded into the distance.

Vlademar’s mind was swirling with thoughts. His blackened heart enabled his instincts of greed and selfishness to prosper and generate a mischievous plan. He returned his brother and sister with a burning demon within, cauterizing the flow of his conscious that would have led him not to betray his sister.

The next morning the three woke up and continued their journey to the city of Kolkata. By late afternoon they had arrived at the city’s market where Yasir proceeded to look for work. He kept his brother and sister close by his side so as not to lose them in the swarm of bustling bodies. Vladermar was desperately eager to search the main strip for the teashop. As it was, Yasir would not let the two out of his sight until that night when they set up camp a few hundred yards from the market’s borders. When he thought his siblings were fast asleep he proceeded to wonder to the teashop, when his sister noticed him. From her sleepy stupor she mumbled out to him, “Vladi, are you well big brother? Have you night mares again?”

His brow furrows as he turns to respond in a whisper, “AH Pali! Go to sleep; I am not yet tired. Sleep though. I’ll be fine.”

He crept up to the edge of the market and noticed a few men entering a building at the other end of the strip. Quickly and quietly he slithered over to, what he discovered to be the teashop. He opened the door and immediately the woman at the counter told him to leave because they were closed.

“Wait madame, I know what this is and I may have something for you. I need money and you need my sister”, stammered Vlademar. With a shocked stare she looked at the boy with a testing pause before making an arrangement with the boy.

“Where is Palomi!? Vlademar wake up! Palomi is gone! Hurry we must look for her!” cried Yasir when he woke to see that his sister had vanished. Vlademar got up and silently helped Yasir look through the town all day, yet they did not find any trace of her. Yasir was distraught and riddled with sadness and tears for the next few days and during this time Vlademar had realized the depth of destruction of what he had done. Though he has food in his stomach he had become a hollow of anguish and personal torment due to his betrayal of his own blood. His soul was ablaze with guilt and despair and he could take it no longer until he began vehemently apologizing to Yasir,“It is my fault! My own lies! I am a selfish pig and hell is now my home! Oh forgive God! I’ve traded my own sister for a few coins! I am dirt! Unworthy! ”

“You sold our sister! Shame to your soul Vlademar! Where is she!? ” shrieked Yasir.

“The teashop at the very end of the market, we must go get her, at once! Before...” he trailed off, as his face dropped as they both came to the realization of exactly what might have become of their sister.

As they busted through the doors of the shop Vlademar sought out the lady whom he had spoken with the night before. Upon reaching her he gave her back the sack of money and demanded that his sister be given back to them. She glanced at the bag then picked it up weighing its contents. “You’re short,” she stowed the bag in her desk, “and besides there is no retrieving your sister now; a young man bought her from me this morning.”

Yasir turned pale as his heart sank, but not so much as the heartbroken, guilt ridden, self disgusted, Vlademar.

For the next two weeks the brothers remained in solitude. Yasir could not bring himself to abandon nor forgive Vlademar and Vlademar could do neither as well. Hopeless, aimless, and void of any motivation to continue living, the two just sat on the streets of the market with an endless dull gaze locked on the dirt beneath their feet. Vlademar was consumed with self hatred so much that one day he was ready to see never see the light of another day and let famine drag his body into the ravages of the dark. Just as he was about to fade at his brother’s side he sees a pair of sandaled feet appear before his. Who could approach him with such beautifully ornamented shoes?

Yasir was already at his feet with his arms locked around the mysterious being when Vlademar meets the gaze of his sister Palomi over Yasir’s shoulder. To his knees he drops before her, with his forehead at her feet, begging for forgiveness and proclaiming that she should punish him. Palomi bent down to turn his face towards hers as she spoke through sobs, “My brother you are already forgiven! I love you so much, I could never harm you! Rest now; forgiveness is ours.”

After the situation had settled down, Vlademar noticed that there was a finely clothed man standing by Palomi the entire time. His name was Prince Kazir Utz. He had been saving girls from the brothel and bringing them to safety for many months now and was working on getting politics involved to end the problem. The morning he had gone to rescue another girl he met Palomi and fell in love with her. He had taken her from the city to introduce her to his family, and shortly after, he proposed. Palomi never stopped thinking about her brothers and so Kazir helped her look for them.

His selfishness and greed drove him to surrender anything he had to in order to fulfill his needs and Later on the shame and guilt consumed him until it almost killed him. Though Vlademar had committed an unforgiveable betrayal against Palomi, she still forgave him. This melted Vlademars heart into humility to love others more than himself, and to never let deprivation tempt him into sinning against his fellow man.