Copyright (c) 2014 by Helen R Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Helen R -- Blogmeister

Whiz Kids - Rm 12-

Room 12

by Helen R

No Links added yet!

Article posted February 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 2906

The new weebly website and blogs are almost complete with lots of links, some learning assignments and te students will have their own webpages. It should be published and linked here by the end of next week at the latest. Thanks or your patience.

Article posted January 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM GMT+13 • comment (1) • Reads 98

Happy new year. I hope everyone has had a great holiday. I will be moving onto a new room and a new blog. I am not sure how long this one will remain here but I am proud of all of the efforts you made. All the best to all of you. Kia kaha - Helen.

Article posted November 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM GMT+13 • comment (1) • Reads 166

On Friday room 14 went on a trip to two places, the SPCA and the soap shop (I love soap). First we went to the SPCA, where a staff member (Karen) gave us a small tour of the place. She said they would have around 102 animals at the SPCA when the place was full.

The yr8s went off to measure the walls, doors, rooms and more, because they are going to make their own scale model of an SPCA/animal rescue centre on minecraft. So while the yr8's were off measuring the place the yr 5's and 6's went into the cat companion area where they cuddled and brushed the cats. Cat companion is a way that volunteers can take care of the cats so the cats stay healthy.

When we had to leave we were all still excited because we were off to the soap shop to learn about how they make soap. The soaps were amazing and looked very creative and hard to make. We met the owners of the shop and the man who decided to start a soap shop. They don't use any animal fats in their soaps. To be a soapmaker you need to be good at maths, art and chemistry.

Everyone was allowed to walk around the shop and look at the soaps, sniffing them and sometimes picking them up and looking at them. Then we had a tour of how they made the soaps. On the shelf there was heaps of smells and colours stacked up together. After that he showed us the first step of how to make a soap and explained to us the rest of the steps. When we headed back to the main part of the shop he gave us a FREE soap.

We went to the little icecream shop that was connected to the soap shop that they also owned; Helen bought us an icecream each and the yr8's got a turn at scooping the icecream for the rest of us.

Thankyou Ruth Thomas for being an amazing helper on the trip so that we could go... she was a really BIG help.

Article posted November 5, 2013 at 01:44 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 93

photopeach.com/album/txfx1i

Article posted October 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 147

Thank you for reading our blogs - it really encourages the students to write when they see how many people check it out. Please, if you have a moment, comment on their work in a helpful way. It may take a few days for your comment to get approved but the students would appreciate your thoughts!

Article posted October 21, 2013 at 01:33 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 134

It is week two, and we are especially focusing on our writing and our basic routines, as our test is soon and so is the poetry cafe. We are also focusing on our other studies (projects); for example, civilisations, timelines, history of mathematics, and history of countries, which I, personally am very interested in.

The students are filling their blogs with their fascinating articles, so please check them out and leave some comments.

Lastly, I would like to leave with my favourite inspiring quote:

“Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.”

This is by William James (1842 ~1910), a famous author in New York (United States).  

Thank you for reading and have a good day.

Yuhka.

Article posted October 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 180

Safely back from the holidays, we have been working on tessellations and tiling, exploring shapes. We have begun poetry for the poetry cafe. We have several pieces of work to focus on. These include Cultures and civilizations, the body, history of mathematics, timelines, speeches for the bridging ceremony (leavers only) and community projects. We care about issues in our community and our community projects help us to act on that and make a difference. Please check out our blogs in the coming weeks and leave comments to encourage us to share. Thank you.

Article posted August 30, 2013 at 05:19 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 94

http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/694/xs7o.jpg

Article posted August 30, 2013 at 05:17 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 155

http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/837/e7bt.jpg

Article posted August 30, 2013 at 04:55 PM GMT+13 • comment • Reads 115

Tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa.

Ko Kurahaupo toku waka

Ko Taranaki toku maunga

Ko Pungareeree toku awa

Ko Kaimiromiro toku marae

Ko Taranaki, ko Ngati Ruanui oku iwi

Ko Helen toku ingoa

Ko Amy, ko Anna, Ko Liam, ko Abbie toku tamariki

No Turanganui-a-kiwa ahau

Ko Rotorua toku kainga

No reira, tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa.

I feel it is only fitting to greet you with my pepeha as the students are learning theirs for their speeches. Please encourage them to practise at home and learn it of by heart, along with their speeches.

Our visit to the museum to see Canterbury Quakes was worthwhile and a little reflective. Also topical considering Wellington and Seddon's numerous shakes and our own last night! We've had swimming, food technology challenges (including cupcake wars), CRT circle paintings and of course our core work to get through. We are working on getting photos up as soon as possible but in the meantime, check out what students have been writing and encourage your student to share their work with you through our blog.

We had a great Read and Feed today in our 'tent' and thank you for supporting us in this. Students read silently from just after 9 until 10:30. They went outside to push play for ten minutes then came in for strategy games for half an hour. They returned to silent reading, until 12:30. After lunch they did buddy reading and silent reading or writing or finishing. I was really impressed! 

I personally found out two things today when I inadvertently (at least on my part) got roped into the staff versus coaches and students netball game - with no subs. I do still get asthma and I really need to practise goal shooting - I don't know who stuck me in goal attack position! I did get a number of opportunities but in my defence, I'm an ex hockey player, runner, athletic champ, swimming champ and gymnast - YES, really (I know!) and ok at soccer, sometimes, but netball was never my thing. All credit to the students and coaches who took us on and won. The score was 4-1.

Room 12