Copyright (c) 2014 by Caroline Ancelet Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Caroline Ancelet -- Blogmeister

AP English IV

Our AP IV class will be reading Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon and blogging about it.

by Caroline Ancelet

Date a Girl Who Reads
Litany by Billy Collins
Three-year-old recites "Litany" by Billy Collins
Magical Realism
Toni Morrison
Writers Almanac
Plagiarism
The People Could Fly
Emmett till
Birmingham church bombing
Prayer for our daughters
In Memory of W. B. Yeats

Article posted February 11, 2013 at 09:20 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 698

I am in Covington helping with the newborn twins and reading your poetry explications, and your reading responses to Part 1 of OFOTCN, and your analytical papers. I am most worried about the poetry responses. Several of you did not pay attention to the prompt, or to my corrections of your first draft. Many of these will have to be revised for a third time. Those of you who did not turn in a second draft will have to take a zero on the assignment. Ditto for reading logs for Part 1 of OFOTCN. 

You have two assignments for Thursday and Friday, Feb. 14-15. One is reading logs for Part 2 of OFOTCN, and the other is your poetry explication for your Shakespearean sonnet. It really is time for you all to buckle down and write an AP quality explication. You have been given a rubric. Follow it. Do not paraphrase the poem for me in your explication. Do not write a summary. The main idea of the poem should be swiftly addressed in your first paragraph. You are dealing with analysis. Don't skip any poetic devices. Quote frequently and sequentially. Address the theme and the volta. Email me if you have any questions.

Mrs. Ancelet

Article posted February 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 323

In preparation for reading and discussing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, each of you will research a mental disorder and tell the class about it. You will have two minutes (!) to describe this illness, and you have absolute freedom of expression. You may make a poster, a powerpoint, show us a youtube clip of someone who has the disease, or even act it out yourself (Andre). This is due Friday, Feb. 8.

Here's your illness:

Jennifer: Associative disorder

Dallas: partner relational problem

Breanna: Narcissistic personality disorder

Mercedes: Sleep terror disorder

Payton: Korsakoff's syndrome

Samantha: Nightmare disorder

Holli: OCD

Andre: Disassociative identity disorder

Abigail: Fugue state

Jayda: Mathematics disorder

Sydney: Anterograde amnesia

Andrea: autism

Katie: anxiety disorder

Sam: paranoid personality disorder

Madi: Schizophrenia

Marae: depression

Lindsey: Munchausen syndrome

Erin: paranoia

Nicole: catatonic disorder

Whitney: bi-polar disorder

Article posted November 6, 2012 at 07:32 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 306

I am only seeing 14 comments, which doesn't bode well for grades. However. I did notice that Jayda posted her comment to the Section Three blog, so someone go there and read it, and respond int he section four. Jayda, if you want to resend it in section four, I'll apporve it. Anyone else who did that, let me know. 

Article posted November 5, 2012 at 03:03 PM GMT-6 • comment (39) • Reads 702

I'm sending this from my iPhone. Hope it goes through. Post your last comments here. 

Article posted October 28, 2012 at 05:00 PM GMT-6 • comment (39) • Reads 337

Let's uncomplicate the blogposts and responses by starting a new thread with each section. Put your comments to Section Three here.

Section three--pages 131-201: due Thursday, November 1, with a response due by Friday, November 2 at midnight. Powerlines and vocabulary due Thursday.

Article posted October 11, 2012 at 02:00 PM GMT-6 • comment (68) • Reads 373

We will read Cormac McCarthy's The Road in four sections. Each blogpost is due by midnight of the due date. Responses must be posted by midnight the following night. Be prepared for a quiz on each section. Your blogs must address style, mood, and certain questions I will ask. You must keep handwritten notes on vocabulary words (10 per section), and typed explanations of powerlines (5 per section).

Section one--pages 3-79: due Monday, October 22: When you respond to this section, refer to the clues which indicate that a terrible event has occurred, that make this a post-apocalyptic novel. Where are they going? Why? Discuss the literary style of the book. How does this style reflect the atmosphere and themes of the book? Be prepared to take a test on this section of the book on Monday, October 22.

Section two--pages 80-130: due Friday, October 26, with response to a classmate due by Sunday at midnight. Powerlines and vocabulary due Monday, October 29. All blog entries must be 300 words+. Discuss the conversations between the man and the boy. Why is it important that they keep talking? Does the boy believe that they will live? How do you know? Ask yourself deep questions about what is happening in this section, and then answer them. When you respond to your fellow classmates, don't just agree. Use that opportunity to deepend the discussion.

Section four--pages 205-287: due Monday, November 5 with powerlines and vocabulary. Response to a classmate's blog by Tuesday, November 6, at midnight.

Article posted August 1, 2012 at 04:06 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 72

Yes, you read that right. You have the weekend as a grace period to get all your summer reading in to me. This will not happen often, but I'm getting twin granddaughters on the 10th, so you can thank Lissandre and Isolde for the breather. Be ready on Monday!

Article posted July 20, 2012 at 06:53 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 194

I read all your comments as they came in, but held them instead of posting them. Payton wins. I won't do that this time. For the final blog post for this book, I will be diligent about posting your comments to a classmate's blog. My bad, or whatever it is I'm supposed to say these days.

Mrs. Ancelet

Article posted July 16, 2012 at 05:47 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 297

Only eight of you posted your comments in the section for chapters 5-9. The rest of you posted them in the section for the first four chapters. This will complicate your responses to a classmate's comments. You will have to check both sections to see who has responded to whom.

When you post your next response to the novel, which will be to chapters 10-15, be sure to click on the word "comment" in that section.

Article posted July 16, 2012 at 05:46 AM GMT-6 • comment (34) • Reads 616

The French word "dénouement" literally means "the unravelling" or "the unknotting." This story, so rich in allusion, oral tradition, and complexity of plot finally gets resolved, as much as Morrison will allow it to. She is famous for leaving the reader teetering on the edge of reality. Who caught the reference to Circe? What's really in that green sack? What do you think happens in the end? How well does Milkman complete his hero's journey?

This blog post is due July 24, with a response to your classmate by July 31.

more Quotes