Copyright (c) 2014 by Bright Sparks Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Bright Sparks -- Blogmeister

Glitter Words
Room 2
Hi everyone we are a composite class in New Zealand. We love God, learning and sport! We hope you will check out our blogs and see all the wonderful learning we are doing.

by Bright Sparks

Sea World - Animal bytes
Young People's Animal Facts
Sea World - Animal bytes
Animal Game
Amazing animals + games
Simple Machines Quiz
Edhead and the Simple Machines Game
Simple Machine Definitions
Wicked
Grammar Ninja
Communication Ideas
Hangman
Mihi atu, mihi mai - meet and greet
Biographies

Title: Book Report (11/19/11)
Description: Congratulations you must have completed reading your fiction chapter book if you are up to this assignment. Answer the following questions. Make sure you include part of the question in your answer or make it a subtitle. Begin with the heading BOOK REPORT By ....put your name.
1. Put the title, number of chapters, size of type (small, medium, large), illustrations - yes/no, and the genre e.g. mystery.
2. Who is the author and name one other book she or he has written.
3. Describe what happens at the beginning and middle. Leave a us with a question for the ending.
4. Yr 4 to 6: Name and describe the main character (personality and physical). Would you like him or her to be your friend? Explain why or why not.
Yr 7 and Yr8: Name and describe the main character (personality and physical). Do you like or dislike the main character? Explain your opinion and give an example from the text where your character exhibits this characteristic.
5. Write a recommendation for this book. Who would enjoy it and why?

THE AMAZING DAYS of ABBY HAYES

[ BOOK REPORT BY VICTORIA BLAIR]

Author:Anne Mazer

Number of chapters:16

Book size: Small

Pictures: Yes

Genre: girly narrative

Other books by this author: Sister Magic

About the book:

Abby Haze is starting 5th grade and her perfect siblings have all got a special talent except her. 

Abby wants to find her special talent before 5th grade finishes.

Will she be able to find it or does she already have one that she hasn't discovered yet?

Read more to find out! 

The Main character is: Abby Haze

Abby Haze: I admire and have some sympathy for Abby in this story because she has determination to find her special talents and will go to extreme lengths to become a soccer star.  I sympathsize with her because her siblings are so good at things and she doesn't think she is good enough. For example she will drink a revolting healthy shake for breakfast every morning and she reads the sports sections in the newspaper.

Recommendation:  I recommend this  book for 10 - 13 year old girls because it's about a girl's life and things girls go through. It's a girly narrative.

Book Report

Title: The Adventures of Captain Underpants

Author: Dav Pilkey

Chapters: 20

Another book he wrote: Dogzilla

Illustrations: Yes

Genre: Comedy

Two boys, Harold Hutchins and George Beard get

punished because Mr Krupp, their school principal, catches

them when they perform a prank during a school football game.

So they decide to buy a hypno ring to get out of their punishment. 

Will their plan work?  What will now happen to Mr Krupp?

The main character is Captain Underpants and I like him

because he acts like a hero but he is not and has real enemies.

I recommend this book for 7-12 years of age

because of the humour.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 05:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 270

Book Report

Black Gold    Julia Owen

Number of chapters:17

Size of type: medium/large

Illustrations:  No illustrations

Genre: adventure/mystery

Another book she has written: Beneath the surf

Two boys named Ollie and Rumi decided to go camping at a beach where no one goes. Ollie's dad dropped them off and he decided to give them their dog to help them. Ollie told Rumi there was a cave that they could sleep in. Ollie and Rumi decided to explore the cave but they soon discover somone had already moved into the cave. They wondered who was it. Suddenly Rumi heard a noise and he asked Ollie, "Did you hear that?"

Ollie replied, "Yep! Come on. Let's hide behind that rock." They saw a young teenager with cuts and scratches on his back. Ollie held his dog's mouth shut tightly. Rumi and Ollie saw the shadows of two men coming into the cave. One of the  men came up to the young boy and punched him in the face and yelled, "Why didn't you collect the fire wood?"

Suddenly Rumi saw a sack and opened it. He found that it was a lot of paua and it was too much. Rumi moved his foot and bang! The two men heard it and came over to the rock that Rumi and Ollie were hiding behind. They were caught! The young boy tied them up and the two men started to ask questions. "What are you doing here?"

Ollie and Rumi mumbled, "We were just going home." The two men said, "You better not be lieing or you're dead meat!"   

Will Rumi and Ollie survive!

Character Study:

I would be Rumi and Ollie's friend because they sound like they like adventures and so do I.

Book Report

Name: Escape from the Drooling Octopod!

Author: Robert West

Book size: Medium

Chapters: 19

Genre: Adventure/ Action/ Sci-fi

Illustrations: black and white, some drawn

Other books: There’s a Spaceship in My Tree/ Attack of the Spider Bots

Join the adventure of the Star-Fighters

Priscilla Bruzelski (Scilla). Only tomboy in the team.

Benson McIntyre (Beamer). Feels like he’s living on another planet.

Garfunkel Ives (Ghoulie). The class nerd.

Add one spaceship-shaped tree house capable of taking them almost anywhere in the universe. Hop in and blast off for fantastic outer-space adventures with the Star-Fighters of Murphy Street.

In episode three the Star-Fighters are under attack from pink goblins and Molgotha, a drooling giant octopod. The Star-Fighters must save a girl locked in a pink palace. In a wacky adventure which takes them to a pink planet, through subterranean civilizations and into a modern day Dr.Frankenstein’s laboratory, the Star- Fighters discover a dark secret and find beauty in the most unlikely beasts.   

BOOK REPORT

RATSO

BY LORRAINE ORMAN 

Chapters: 11

Print: medium

Pictures: yes

Genre: Narrative

Another book by this author: Fish Tale

About the book

At the beginning of the story there was a boy named Steven. One day at school his friend came with a rat. Everyone went to see it. All the girls screamed.

Steven's friend said his rat needed a home because he was moving. Everyone wanted to have it, but they had to ask their parents first. Steven's friend said it needed to go home today. So Steven took it home. Steven was worried about what his mother was going  to say. When he got home and showed his mum, she told him to take it back.

What is Steven going to do?

Read the book to find out.

BOOK REPORT

THE SMALLEST TROLLEY RACER

By: Phillip Simpson

Chapters: 9

Size of type: Medium

Genre: humour

Main character : Sophie

Other books written by Phillip Simpson: He did not write any other books.

This book is about :   Two boys who are trying to find a new driver for their trolley. But first they have to build it. One of the boys has a sister called Sophie, who wants to know what they are doing. The boys don't want her help and find her annoying.

One day after school the boys build a trolley. They test drive it but unfortunately one of the tyres falls off and they crash into the freaky neighbour's fence. He comes out with his dog and asks the boys if they are having trouble with their trolley. The boys say, "Yeah." The guy offers to help them. So the boys say yes. They built the trolley just in time for the race. Who will win the race? Can Sophie be more than just an annoying sister? Read this book to found out.

Book Report

Dogbird

Author: Paul Stewart

Chapters: 4

Print: Medium

Genre: Animal narrative

Pictures: Black and white

Another book written by this author: A Little Bit of Winter

About the Story

At the beginning of the story there was a girl and she got a budgie for her birthday. When they went home, it started to bark. Alice called the bird Dogbird. Every time Dogbird barked the dogs would come in and start barking. Alice's parents said the bird would have to go because it was too noisy. Later Alice's grandma was robbed so her parents went over to see her. While they were gone, Alice went to her friend's house. When the girls were in the treehouse, they heard barking and ran to Alice's house. It was the dogs. They were making a huge mess.

In the middle of the story Alice and her friend decided to set Dogbird free. When they did, Dogbird got attacked. So they shouted, "Come back Dogbird!" Dogbird came back and they went inside. Alice's parents came home and the house was a mess.

What will they do with Dogbird?

The Character 

The main characters are Dogbird and Alice.

I would like to be Dogbird's friend because Dogbird is a bird. I would not want to be Alice's friend because she didn't think about a getting a bunny.

You should have this book, if you love animals because it is full of animals in the story, with all sorts of birds and three dogs.

BOOK REPORT

UP THE CREEK

By:DOT MEHARRY

Chapters:10

Print: Medium

Pictures: Black and white

Genre: Adventure

Author:Dot Meharry

Another book by this author: The Pipi and the Mussels

ABOUT THE BOOK

At the start of the story the shearers are shearing the sheep, Mum is making morning tea, and Old Mrs Taite was rolling fleeces and pressing wool into a bag. When the morning tea was ready Georgina went to yell out to her Dad. He looked up from the drafting race. They walked back to the loading ramp at that time our morning tea was out on the table.

In the middle of this story: Georgina and her friend Matt went eeling. They found a dead sheep and used it for bait. They said they were just going to the flats. BUT Matt took Georgina to the waterfall. While Matt showed off with his eeling skills, Georgina was putting bait on her hook, they  caught eel after eel. SUDDENLY! Matt fell off the rock. Georgina went down to where Matt was. She lifted him on to her back and started to head off home. Georgina was so tired. She put Matt down behind a rock... 

Will they get Matt back before night?t?

THE CHARACTER

The main charater is: Georgina

Would I like this character to be my friend: Yes because she likes to go eeling and we could go eeling together.

I think this book would be good for boys because it has groose stuff like maggots and lots of blood.

Article posted November 28, 2011 at 01:02 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 126

BOOK REPORT

FREAKY FISH

ELEANOR MEECHAM

CHAPTERS: 9

Size: Medium 

Genre: Humourous

Other books by this author: Goggle Eyes

What Happens: There are two boys named Richard, Braben and a girl named Canid. The girl was a bully and they did not like her bullying them. The girl and the two boys got picked for a play. Their character for the play was called Freaky Fish. If you want to know whether they manage to get on together, you will have to read the book.

About the character: Canid is a bully and I don't think I would like to be her friend because she would probably be mean and bully me.

Who I think would like to read this book? I think it will be a good story for boys and girls from 9 and up.

BOOK REPORT

Book:

Escape From The Slave Traders

Author : Dave and Neta Jackson

No . o f chapters: 13

Type size: Medium

Illustrations: Yes black and white

Genre: Tragedy/Narrative

Illustrated by Julian Jackson

Another book that Julian Jackson has written is Race for the Record.

Main Character: Chumba, fit, strong, a fast runner and a good swimmer. He is hopeful, a Christian, a sharing friend and brave.

“Not many people could out swim him.”= A fit and strong boy. “You want some of my yam?”= A sharing friend.

Chumbas is tied up to a tree and only his friend Wikatani was able to get free so Chumba knowing what could happen to him he told his friend to go and “Take care.”=Brave

I think this book is more suitable for 9 year olds and over and probably more boys would like this book than girls because the main characters are boys and there are wars, guns and killing.

2013
LEARNING LINKS
Leavers

Hi I'm the blessed teacher to have these awesome students in my class. I have been teaching for just over 20 years now and I am still learning! God is so good! May you be blessed every time you come to visit our blogs.