Copyright (c) 2014 by vballaw Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
vballaw -- Blogmeister

-

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by vballaw teacher: Rob Jacklin

Title: Bacteria Blog (03/09/11)

Article posted March 10, 2011 at 02:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 578

Mr. Luehmann shared with me that you were studying bacteria and viruses in science class. There are a lot of different ways to show what you've been learning, but I'd like to challenge your searching and evaluation skills a little. We will be working on a short project over the next three class periods.

1. Using the "filetype:" search option in Google, find PowerPoint files posted on the Internet that teach or present informaiton about bacteria and viruses.

2. Actively find, view, and evaluate a minimum of three presentations.

3. Compare, contast, and evaluate the presentation slides to determine which presentation in your opinion is the best presentation for helping someone to learn the basics about bacteria and viruses.

4. Write a blog article linking to the presentation you thought was the best, while including a summary of your comparing, contrasting, and thinking behind why you chose the presentation you did.

5. Things you will want to include in your article: a link to the presentation and some type of image reflecting the topic of the article.

Note: I'm not requiring a Venn Diagram or other graphic organizer for taking notes. Comparing, contrasting, and evaluating are pretty "brain-heavy" activities and you'll remember what you've done later better if you've taken SOME type of notes. It is up to you to decide which note-taking strategy works best for you.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Before requesting publishing on the article, in the drop down menu marked "Assignments," please choose "Bacteria Blog."

Image: "bacteria" by cesarharada.com. Used under a Creative Commmons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

powerpoint #1

powerpoint #2

powerpoint #3

these explains the harm of bacteria and also the good of bacteria. also, they tell about how important bacteria is, as well as describing them.

powerpoint this is the first powerpoint that i looked at it was a good powerpoint. This had good pictures and exaples what these pictures mean and made a point in a fun way and that is why i thought this powerpoint was the better one.

powerpoint2 This powerpoint was the poor-er of the powerpoints because it didnt get my attention as well it was alot of slides filled with word, yes it has good info but it is too plain and that is why it was too poor.

Today in technology class we searched Google to try to find powerpoints that talked about viruses and bacterias.  We started our search with the word "filetype:ppt virus and bacteria" that gave us powerpoints about a virus and bacteria.  We needed to find at least three powerpoints that we could compare and contrast.  The three that I found were similar because they both had to do with viruses and bacteria, they all have a default background, and they all have pictues that has to do with that particular slide.  However, there were a lot more differences between these powerpoints.  PowerPoint 1 containes viruses and their diseases, it talks about the different types of bacteria there are, and has many diagrams that shows the different cycles of bacteria.  PowerPoint 2 has a lot of diagrams about how viruses split and separate.  PowerPoint 3 contains a quiz over how viruses and bacteria spread.  I think that PowerPoint 1 is the best powerpoint to use if you want to learn the most about viruses and bacteria.  Even though all powerpoints were about viruses and bacteria, PowerPoint 1 was the best overall because I felt that it didn't use many difficult vocabulary like the other powerpoints did.

file:///C:UsersTHOMAS~1AppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:UsersTHOMAS~1AppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" />

file:///C:UsersTHOMAS~1AppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_themedata.thmx" target="_blank">file:///C:UsersTHOMAS~1AppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_themedata.thmx" rel="themeData" />

file:///C:UsersTHOMAS~1AppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:UsersTHOMAS~1AppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_colorschememapping.xml" rel="colorSchemeMapping" />

The Presentation I pick was a good one because:

• It displayed pictures that greatly helped me to understand the information

• There were good explanations to each of the terms

Contrasts:

• It had better explanations "I saw it as a definition instead of just Blah Blah Blah"

• The pictures were diagrams instead of just random images of a virus

• There were examples of types of bacteria and viruses

Comparisons:

• They both had the same information

• They were both very in depth

• They both used the same terms

Here is the Presentation

Viruses & Bacteria

·        No growth and development.

·        Non-Living.

·        10,000 times smaller than bacteria.

·        No Cytoplasm or Nucleus.

·        If not treated then will cause more threatening infections.

Bacteria Notes:

·     6 kingdoms

·     EVERYWHERE

These are the good side of the notes that i took from the 3 powerpoints that i looked out and researched. Unfortunately these powerpoints were unable for me to find when i went back and spent 35 minutes trying to find the powerpoints. In my opinion the powerpoint about the viruses showed the best information cleary and in a better teaching way. Kind of revising my notes they say that bacteria has 6 kingdoms. Pilli, DNA, Ribosomes, Plasma Membrane, Cell Wall, and Flagellum. These are all pretty much the characteristics of all bacteria. However, there are 3 main shapes of bacteria. The first shape is a round or circle "ball" looking shape called a cocci. The second shape is more  of a rod shaped figure called bacilli. The last main shape of bacteria is more of a spiral looking shape that propels itself by twitching it's body and moving like that. This is called Spirilla. These are the shapes of all bacteria but there is also something that  forms itself  when the bacteria is in harsh surroundings or when its cole or warm. This is called a endosphere. It is probably the main reason why cells can stay alive and reproduce as many and as fast as it can.  

The second revisation of my article is on the Virus section of my notes

So today we were looking at Power Points about Virus and Bacteria and deciding what we are looking for in them that will help us learn more. I look for the jeopardy ones because those help me learn more and help me remember more. So my favorite slide I had was jeopardy and had colors and fun. How you search on Google to find only Power points about viruses and bacteria is you type in filetype:ppt virus and bacteria.  I think I like this one because more than the others because this one had the easiest vocab words and I could understand them more. Jeopardy-click this to get the most helpful powerpoint I found.

AS a class we are to find the best power point presentation using filetype in a search engine. My pick was this

www.robinson.k12.tx.us/highschool/teacherspages/barndt/TAKSobj3.ppt

In technology, we were supposed to compare and contrast three Power Points about Bacteria and Viruses, that we found searching “filetype:ppt”.  

The first one was pretty basic in telling the audience about bacteria.  About their structure, bacteria kingdoms, their shapes and how they move.  It also talked about how they obtain their energy.  There was a visual to go along with this which would be good for visual people to learn.  It also had visuals for other things that are more fun than reading things off a screen, so that was good.  It did not change its background which in my opinion makes for a better presentation. However, it did have its negative points.  Though there were visuals, some of them were a little confusing.  Also, it had a slide about HIV, which was confusing because they kept saying "T cells" which I think they should have explained.

The second Power Point was not good at all.  I did not think anyone could learn well from that presentation. There was a slide which was very confusing; it just had a picture and the words: Escherichia Coli Bacterium.  Also, some of the visuals were confusing and hard to read.  On a lot of the slides, there were things that I thought needed explaining, which couldn't be good for learning if you don't know what they mean.  Also, they broke up sentences into bullet points, which was just not good presentation formatting in my opinion.    However, some slides were more informative than others. 

The third one I looked at looked like a lesson plan for teachers.  It had good information about things like the parts of a virus, but these parts were short.  It also talked about different diseases that viruses can give you and included information about a cycle viruses use to dominate a host cell.  I only saw information about viruses, so it would not do a good job about educating someone about bacteria.   

I came to the conclusion that the first Power Point would be the best to tell the basics about viruses and bacteria.  I came to this conclusion by looking at the format, it did not change the background at all which was good, and also it explained things that had been on previous slides.  It had good information about the topic.  The second one had some good information, such as explaining what a virus was, but had many other negative qualities about it.  Some parts of the graphs were unclear or even cut off, which would not be a good visual if you can't read it.  The third one had good basic information, but the information was short and would not have been very good at teaching considering it was a lesson plan.  The first one had good information, good format and was easiest to learn from.

Here is a link to the best Power Point:

docs.google.com/viewer

Here is a picture of a bacteria dividing by  AJC1:  

In technology class, we looked at 3 silde presentations we found through google. We searched slide shows in google by entering " filetype:ppt bacteria and viruses " Out of the three silde shows I looked at, the best one I found was one that included pictures and diagrams of different bacterias. It helped alot for a silde to put pictures, graphs, and bulletpoints. The bulletpoints got straight to the points the person was trying to make without going overboard. I really liked when the powerpoint was fun to look at with pictures and nice colors other than having it plain. It really got my attention and made me what to find out more about the topic. I liked when it was more interactive versus ones that just straight out gave you information. It acually made me want to learn instead of just skimming through wanting to get done with the project.

Here is a link to the powerpoint I found the most interesting! http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CB8QFjACOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoe.ucdavis.edu%2Fss0809%2FBautistaJ%2FPowerpoints%2FBACVIRrev.ppt&rct=j&q=filetype%3Appt%20viruses%20and%20bacteria&ei=aTd5TZzLF4nprAHQwp3UBQ&usg=AFQjCNHASd1nI-QEDI5DaXCoh5UTNCW0Cg

This is the best presentation in my opinion because it was very informative. It told me what kind of viruses there were and characteristics of viruses and bacteria. This presentation was better than the other two because it had good vocabulary and looked professional. The other two were poorly done with things that didn't make sense. powerpoint

.

1 .

www.rcsd.ms/~cliff.thames/documents/BacteriaVirusesandProtistans.ppt

2.

www.jackson.k12.ga.us/teachers/jpayne/Viruses%20only.ppt

1. 3.

2. www.mansfield.ohio-state.edu/~sabedon/lectures/microbiology/nester13.ppt

3. I picked these because you can tell the right information about bacteria and viruses. Which is important to know because you can see how much bacteria is in the air. I also pick these because not every thing they want to say is on the slide it is mostly pictures that expand what they want to say. Last reason they tell you how bacteria and what it all is.

During the process of comparing and contrasting three power points about bacteria, I decided that the first power point was the best one to easily explain what bacteria is and what shapes etc. I compared the power points by looking at them and seeing if they

1. Had pictures

2. If I could understand what they were talking about

3. Gave Basic Information

The main reason that I chose this power point is because it had information that I could understand. It didn't have confusing words and it made sense.  Another presentation that I looked at had an interesting background, but it didn't make sense and they went to deep into what bacteria is. I was just looking for a ten slide power point that explained the basics. 

Power Point 1

What we did in Technology class today was we searched filetype:ppt bacteria and viruses. The 3 that I found were all similiar because they talked about bacteria and viruses. They also had pictures of what they are and if they are helpful or dangerous. Powerpoint 1 is not the one that I liked the best but was a good one by it showed clearly and in picture form on what bacteria and Viruses are. Powerpoint 2 is also not the one that I liked the best. It was good by it showed how they live and what they do. Powerpoint 3 is the one that I thought was the best. It was the best because it was understandable to read and it showed how bacteria and viruses live, if thier good or bad, and how to treat it.

serino102.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/science-ch-51.ppt

It was difficult to find out which powerpoint to pick but I chose the Jeopardy one because it was fun and very easy to learn. Some of the other ones were from highschool but I believe this was an 8th grade presentation. The information was accurate and factitious. All of them had a great amount of truthful facts but some were to advanced.

In technology we had to look up three different slide shows about viruses and bacteria. The first power point had many different medical pictures of different bacterias effects on the human body. I think that medical pictures aren't as useful as other things. The second power point was just a lot of information and bullet points. I don't think that just information is very helpful because it gets very boring if someone is not presenting the power point. The third power point had many diagrams and bullet points. I thought it was easier to follow along with the information in the power point. I think that diagrams and short bullet point are the best kinds of helpful information, especially in power points. 

1st power point-    highschool.swampscott.k12.ma.us/.../Chapter%2019%20Bacteria%20pptls.ppt

2nd power point-    teachers.henrico.k12.va.us/...d/.../DiseaseCausedBacteriaViruses.ppt

3rd power point-    www.colorado.edu/ceae/environmental/.../wnveng-microbe-oct00.pp

Over the last three class periods, I have learned a lot about bacteria and how it works. I have learned that  there are many bad kinds of bacteria but also many good types too. Because of the bad types of bacteria, bacteria has gotten a bad reputation, so whenever someone thinks about bacteria they think about the bad kinds of bacteria. My favorite powerpoint I saw was Virus and Bacteria Chapter 17 Biology 11 by Mandie Lynn Walls. The reason I chose this powerpoint was because it explained a lot of things after I showed me something. The words did many cool actions that kept me interested, it also used different colors and backgrounds to catch my eye. This blog did not have full sentences to read, there were bulletpoints which expressed the main ideas. It got to the point quickly unlike some others I saw and it did not use too many pictures to take up slides. And it got the point across quickly without too many slides. This powerpoint also used many key terms that were important for understanding the process. Here is the URL for this powerpoint: www.worldofteaching.com/powerpoints/biology/viruses.ppt.