Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Berg Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Berg -- Blogmeister

Mrs. Berg's Class is on a mission to help bring healthy, nutritious foods to our cafeteria. Please click on the Wikispaces badge below to see graphs of our taste test results. Wikispaces

by Mrs. Berg

Jamie Oliver
District Winter Newsletter
South Glens Falls School District
Egg-cellent Rating Form
Michelle Obama’s: Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools Program
Little D's Nutrition Expedition
Food Revolution January Newsletter
Mission Nutrition Recipes
Jessica Seinfeld- Do It Delicious Site
Jonny Rapp's Cheese
Flavored Milk Day of Action
Choose My Plate

Article posted June 12, 2011 at 04:46 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 173

This past Thursday we had our final taste test. Mr. DeFrancisco made us some delicious veggie lasagna with chocolate mousse for dessert. Both items were a huge hit! Check out our ratings graph on the wikispace page for the results. We also had some very clever names suggested the items. Maybe next year we will see them on the lunch menu or in the snack bar. Thank you to all my students for being excellent taste testers all year! Thank you to the parents who were able to join us, we hope you had a great time! And to Mr. DeFrancisco, a very special thank you for asking us to be your expert taste test panel. We had a great time all year! Boys and Girls, I hope you always make healthy food choices!

June Taste Test on PhotoPeach

Article posted June 12, 2011 at 04:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Thursday June 9th we participated in the Food Revolution's Flavored Milk Day of Action. We had a lot of fun and a great turn out! We sold 187 white milks and only 20 chocolate milks that day! We hope our message of healthy milk choices continues to spread! Thanks to all who helped make the day a success and to those who bought white milk!!

June 9, 2011 Flavored Milk Day of Action on PhotoPeach

Article posted June 5, 2011 at 09:00 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Yippee! Our govt. has a new food guideline graphic. Good-Bye to the Food Pyramid and hello Choose My Plate. This new organizer is so much easier to use and makes so much more sense.

There is link to the site listed on the left. Please check it out!

Article posted May 26, 2011 at 08:06 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 58

Flavored Milk Day of Action

Thursday June 9th 2011

Tanglewood will be participating in Jamie Oliver’s Flavored Milk Day of Action. Flavored Milk Day of Action’s goal is to educate the school community about hidden forms of sugar and additives, and to ask for the elimination of sweetened, flavored milk from regular school meals. Did you know our chocolate milk contains 25 grams of sugar? That’s more sugar than in a can of soda. Let’s help make sweetened milk a treat, not a staple.

Our school’s faculty, staff, and students are all encouraged to purchase white milk on June 9th. Anyone choosing white milk instead of flavored milk may choose to have their picture taken with one of our milk moustache masks and will be entered into a raffle to win a coupon good for 50 cents at the school store. Photos will be put into a collage which will then later be on display in the lobby after the event.

If you are interested in learning more about Flavored Milk Day of Action, please visit the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution web site link on the left for information.

Together we can help make a difference.

Article posted May 26, 2011 at 08:00 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

May Taste Test- Green Beans and Pizza on PhotoPeach

Today we had a chance to taste test some new products from Schwan's. Thank you to our Schwan's representative,Beth Lamay,for making a special visit to personally deliver our food items! The whole wheat pizza crust was a big hit as were the green beans! Thank you also for helping us have healthier food choices available in school.

Article posted May 13, 2011 at 03:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 54

Today Mr. DeFrancisco surprised us with a late afternoon snack surprise. He delivered some new, healthier, cheese ball snacks for us to sample. They have 0 trans fat, are lower in sodium and are a 100 calorie snack. He is hoping to sell this healthier snack item at the snack bar very soon. We all LOVED them. The results were an almost unanimous egg-cellent with only 1 "didn't like" vote. I have a link to the web site on the left for you to review. You can see the nutrition label for more information.

Next week we will be advertising a special "sticker" day on Thursday. Any student having a sticker on his/her tray when they buy lunch will receive a free sample of cheese balls to try!

Jonny Rapp Cheese Ball Tasting on PhotoPeach

Article posted May 11, 2011 at 04:24 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 85

Today I brought in a selection of herbs to plant in our new Tanglewood garden. Tanglewood's 2nd grade classes will donate them and be responsible for planting them in the next few weeks. We asked Mr. DeFrancisco which herbs he would like to have available for cooking. We will be planting some basil, parsley, oregano, and rosemary. We hope by next Fall we will have a wonderful crop of herbs ready to use in sauces and other tasty entrees. Perhaps next year we can even begin adding to our garden with some vegetables like tomatoes and cucumbers!

Herbs on PhotoPeach

Article posted April 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 64

Yesterday we had the chance to test some new breakfast alternatives. We tried:Sweet Potato Muffins, Whole Wheat Breakfast Bun, Whole Grain Cinnamon Buns and Mini French Toast. The last two were sure to be a hit as they are sweet, but a much better alternative to the Donuts/Donut Holes that are currently on the menu. These new ones are richer in fiber, lower fat, and even though the are sweet, they have less sugar than the dreaded Donut!

I'll post photos later, but in the meantime, please go to our click on the wikispaces page for a graph of our results.

Article posted April 27, 2011 at 08:55 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Today we are having our April taste test. Check back to see what wonderful foods we get to test today!

Also, have you watched season 2 of Food Revolution yet? Two episodes have aired and they have been very interesting. There is an amazing demonstration of how much sugar can be found in flavored milk! Check out the Food Revolution site for more information.

Article posted April 1, 2011 at 07:03 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 76

Our next Taste Test will be Wednesday

April 27th!