Copyright (c) 2014 by RAW Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RAW -- Blogmeister

The Best, the Looser!!

5B

by RAW

teacher: Mrs. B (Grade 5 - 2011-2012)

Title: 5B - Cells Project (11/21/11)

Article posted November 21, 2011 at 09:53 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 283

Adipose Cells

RDl

The human body has more than one kind of fat cells. There are White fat cells and Brown fat. The white fat cells we usually think of fat store energy and the  brown fat, burns energy and gives heat.

When you are born you had a spot of brown fat on your back and it helped control your body temperature.

Scientist suspect that there are no Brown fat an a adult, but if they have its not that important. (Might be important to control your body weight. Adults store brown fat in their neck.)

Adipose cells are unicellular organisms.

Obesity:

Overweight people might be overweight because they do not have enough Brown fat from burning energy. Half of the food every meal goes into your Fat cells that’s why you gain weight. Eating more than you need makes store more fat than you need. When you eat less food the you need, doesn’t let your body store fuel later. Without these important nutrients, the body starts to break down muscle tissue for fuel.

Being overweight in humans/animals doesn’t mean its your body weight it means the amount of Adipose cells. Usually obesity means that you are overweight. Losing fat doesn’t make you lose Adipose cells.

Article posted November 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 99

Salmonella is a rod shaped bacterium.

It is found in foods like: poultry, eggs, unprocessed milk, turkey, meat and water. It is also found in animals such as: birds, turtles and rodents (as in mice guinea pigs and hamsters)

If you have salmonella it lives in your stomach. It can become life threatening if it spreads into some parts in your body such as: your blood or bones. It can cause from a mild to a serious infection.

Salmonella usually causes food poisoning but can cause fever, headaches, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea (not with blood) with stomach aches and stomach cramps.

The bacteria can cause to all ages groups and both male and female. It is more serious to the elderly who have already an infection or disease. 

To prevent from getting salmonella from eggs:

. keep eggs refrigerated

.discard cracked or dirty eggs

.discard eating raw eggs

To prevent getting salmonella (in general)

.get rid of pets especially reptiles

. Don’t eat raw foods

.pay attention to cleanliness

. Make sure all cooked meals you eat are thoroughly cooked

.don't use the same knife for a different food while cooking

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:41 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 78

Neurons:

In addition to the cell body, neurons are made up of “axons” and “dendrites”. The area where an axon touches a dendrite is called a “synapse”. Dendrites receive information (electric impulses) from axons of other neurons at the level of the synapse. They then transmit this information to the axon of the cell they belong to, which in turn sends the information to another neuron and repeat this process until the information arrives to the muscle.

The myelin sheath, produced by Schwan cells, insulates the axons. Myelin forms nods around the axons called “Ranvier’s nodes”.

This speeds up the process of sending information to the muscle as the electric impulses jump from node to node instead of going straight through the axon.

The axons and dendrites are made up of “microtubules” and “Neurofilaments”. The microtubules transport organelles through the neuron. Neurofilaments do the same thing but they also create “neurofibril”, a fiber that supports the neuron and gives it its shape.

Glial cells:

1. Astrocytes provide physical and nutritional support for neurons, Clean up waste, Transport nutrients to neurons, Digest parts of dead neurons.

2. Microglia digests parts of dead neurons

3. Oligodendroglia produces the myelin sheath and provides axons of the central nervous system insulation.

4. Schwan cells produce the myelin sheath and provide axons of the peripheral nervous system insulation.

I am the youngest in my family. I have four brothers and one sister. I like the song Last Friday Night, by Katy Perry and the song The Lazy Song, by Bruno Mars. I like singing. My favorite movie is Monte Carlo. I like to watch Disney channel. I am Lebanese