Copyright (c) 2014 by MA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MA -- Blogmeister

Do what you like,Like what you do!-

by MA teacher: Mrs. B (Grade 5 - 2011-2012)
Robert Frost 01/26/12
No Title 01/18/12
thundercloud 01/18/12
Cells 01/10/12
Book Report- January 2012 01/10/12
Book Report- December 2011 01/10/12
Tintin 12/20/11
Title? 11/11/11
If Only They Could Speak 10/26/11
Presidential Qualities 10/18/11
Deir Al Qamar 10/12/11
Ameer 10/12/11
7 Random Facts 09/06/11
Broken Leg 01/11/11
Tiger Rising 12/13/10

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 196

To me this poem said that you should make sacrifices depending on the situation you are in.Also seeing something you did and think about how you would do it differently.This situation occured to me when I had to leave america without seeing my mom give birth.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 126

I thought that it would be better and it wasn't up to my expectations. the food was pretty good but the activities were the worst parts I loved to stay in my room.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 09:50 AM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 261

I chose the thundercloud because it represents tthe bond of culture

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:41 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 80

Neurons:

In addition to the cell body, neurons are made up of “axons” and “dendrites”. The area where an axon touches a dendrite is called a “synapse”. Dendrites receive information (electric impulses) from axons of other neurons at the level of the synapse. They then transmit this information to the axon of the cell they belong to, which in turn sends the information to another neuron and repeat this process until the information arrives to the muscle.

The myelin sheath, produced by Schwan cells, insulates the axons. Myelin forms nods around the axons called “Ranvier’s nodes”.

This speeds up the process of sending information to the muscle as the electric impulses jump from node to node instead of going straight through the axon.

The axons and dendrites are made up of “microtubules” and “Neurofilaments”. The microtubules transport organelles through the neuron. Neurofilaments do the same thing but they also create “neurofibril”, a fiber that supports the neuron and gives it its shape.

Glial cells:

1. Astrocytes provide physical and nutritional support for neurons, Clean up waste, Transport nutrients to neurons, Digest parts of dead neurons.

2. Microglia digests parts of dead neurons

3. Oligodendroglia produces the myelin sheath and provides axons of the central nervous system insulation.

4. Schwan cells produce the myelin sheath and provide axons of the peripheral nervous system insulation.

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:28 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 82

RUBRIC: SELF- ASSESMENT

Main Character: 5

Setting: 5

Passage Chosen: 5

Passage Reading: 5

Summary: 5

Connections: 5

Author’s

Information: 5

Total: 35

Title: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory published in 1964

&

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, published in 1972

Author: Roald Dahl

Setting: The setting of this 2-book report is in a chocolate factory owned by Willy Wonka. It reminds me of the setting of another book called “The Candy Makers” because they both take place in candy factories. It also reminds me of a water-bottling factory that I went to on a field trip in fourth grade at ACS.

Summary: Charlie Bucket is a poor boy, who lives with his grandparents, mother and father. Willy Wonka is a candy maker extraordinaire; he can make never melting ice cream. One day, Mr. wonka decides to fire all of his employees because they could have been spies from other candy factories. A few weeks later he hired “Oompa-loompas”, small tribal people who love chocolate. Mr. Wonka decided to send out five golden tickets in chocolate bars around the world. The first person to find one was Augustus Gloop, a well-fed child. The next finder was a very spoiled little girl, named Veruca Salt. Third was a gum chewer, Violet Beauregarde. The fourth was mike Teavee, who loved TV. Charlie had bought three bars and one contained the ticket. The next morning he had arrived at the factory with the other children, but during the tour Charlie was not “eliminated” like the other children and was given a very special present. Later on Mr. Wonka took Charlie and his family in a glass elevator, spotted by three astronauts who thought that the family was from Mars, yet later invited them to sleep at the White House. More adventures followed like being chased by “knids”, green egg shaped creatures, as well as taking life changing pills.

Main Character: The main character of this story is Charlie Bucket who is a very poor boy. Charlie is adventurous because throughout his journey, he had always asked to volunteer in risky situations such as when the knids (aliens) were chasing glass elevator. Charlie is also obedient because he had abided by the directions set by Mr. Wonka at all the times during the factory tour; as a result, he was not “eliminated”. Charlie is satisfied and contempt with what he has without complaining. He tolerated his hunger and never asked for melted chocolate during the tour and waited for Mr. Wonka to offer it.

Passage Chosen: (Pages) 1-4: “These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket. Their names are grandpa Joe and grandma Josephine. And these two very old people are the father and mother of Mrs. Bucket. Their names are grandpa George and grandma Georgina. This is Mr. Bucket. This is Mrs. Bucket. Mr. and Mrs. Bucket have a small boy whose name is Charlie Bucket. This is Charlie. How d’you do? And how d’you do? And how d’you do again? He is pleased to meet you. The whole of this family-the six grownups (count them) and little Charlie Bucket- live together in a small wooden house on the edge of a great town.

Connections: My first connection is to “Esperanza Rising” where Esperanza is satisfied and contempt but poor like Charlie. My second connection is to the tale of “Hansel and Gretel” where the children had dangerous encounters with candy like the children in this book where they eat candy that they were not supposed to eat and by doing so get in trouble. My third connection is to Santa Claus who is just like Mr. Wonka and his elves, Oompa-Loompas.

Author Information: Roald Dahl was born in the UK on September 13, 1916 to Norwegian parents. He went to a boarding school and was very unhappy as his autobiography “Boy: Tales of a Childhood” showed. His third children’s book was inspired by his job at a candy factory, Cadbury and his dream of inventing a new chocolate bar. He also wrote adult short stories and won many Edgar Awards. “Tales of the Unexpected” was adapted as a TV series. Most of his stories came from his mother’s Norwegian myths and tales. In his writing he uses trolls, witches, and dark humor, humor about sad topics.

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:25 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 175

Title: The Ear, the Eye and the Arm, published in 1994

Author: Nancy Farmer

Setting: The setting of this novel is in Zimbabwe in the year 2194. In this story, the detectives came from a city of crime and pickpocket similar to Egypt where the crime rate is high. The subways in this book also compare to the New York subways that are crowded with graffiti, vending machines and gangsters.

Summary: In 2194, Tendai, Rita, Kuda, three children living in a very protective environment in Zimbabwe, wanted to go on an adventure by themselves to earn a scout badge. Their praise singer hypnotized their parents as they took all the money and supplies they needed to leave the house. They arrived at the market in the middle of the city but were kidnapped by gangsters who took them to a mine ruled by the She Elephant, the queen of the mines. They had to dig for treasure and plastic; however they escaped to Resthaven, the traditional part of the city where old African culture prevailed especially superstition and spiritual beliefs. The children were forced to leave Resthaven when they were seen as bad luck to the tribe. After they returned to the futuristic side of the city, where creatures are genetically engineered, they were caught in a battle between the She Elephant, who wanted to trade them for money, and the Masks, a group of gangsters who hated the children’s family and wanted to sacrifice one of them to the spirits. Finally the Ear, the Eye, and the Arm detectives saved the children with the use of their special abilities of hearing, seeing, and sensing.

Main Character: The main character in this book is Tendai, a 12 year-old Zimbabwean boy, who’s father is general Matsika, an army general, who is fighting the Masks, a group of gangsters. Tendai is courageous, resourceful, and caring. His courage is shown when he volunteered to be sacrificed as a meal to a spirit mask instead of his siblings. His bravery continues as he seeks answers about the reasons of his kidnapping in very dangerous situations. He is a resourceful person because he had used his surrounding in the best ways possible especially in the mines where he collected rocks to make spears in captivity inside a mine. He also used a child’s crib as a mean of transportation in one of his attempts of escape. Finally, his caring nature was reflected by taking care of his two younger siblings throughout the book, especially when they were attacked by creatures.

Passage Chosen: (Page) 46: When the holophone rang at the Ear, the Eye and the Arm detective agency, all three men sprang to answer it. Arm won, as he always did. His long black snaky arm far outreached anyone else’s. Besides, the tips of his fingers were slightly sticky. “Hello! Detective agency. You lose ‘em, we find ‘em. Sneaky husbands our specialty,” he cried. Ear folded his sensitive ears, and a look of pain crossed his face. “Sorry,” said Arm, lowering his voice.

“I-I need your help,” said Mother on he holoscreen.

“You came to the right place,” Arm said. “Nobody else can do what we do. We can hear a bat burp in the basement. We can see a gnat’s navel on a foggy night. Hunches stick to us like gum to your shoe.”

Connections: My first connection is with a book series called A Series of Unfortunate Events in which three children are kidnapped by an evil character and taken to different places in every book. My second connection is with a book called Esperanza Rising where Esperanza is forced to harvest crops similarly to Tendai, who was forced to mine for plastic and treasures. The third connection is to the crowded markets of Egypt, which are filled with chaos and danger.

Author Information: Nancy Farmer was born in Phoenix Arizona in 1941. She served in the Peace Corps in India. She studied chemistry and moved to Africa to work as a lab technician and insect pathology technician in Zimbabwe. She now lives in California with her husband and son Daniel. She has written eight novels, most of which have Africa as a setting because she had lived there for seventeen years. Her books include House of the Scorpion and A Warm Place. Her novels have won several Newberry Honors and have been translated into 26 languages.

Article posted December 20, 2011 at 02:23 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 123

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 01:53 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 68

Left, right, left, right. Those were the only words I spoke before the incident. I saw a ski slip, I heard a crack, I felt a twist, I tasted dirty snow, and I smelled failure. As my eyes fluttered open I could see the jagged lines of the heart rate scale; they increased once I woke up. “Mo!” My brother asked with a hint of worry in his tone “how are you?!” “And hello to you.” I replied. My mom on the other side was frantic. “GOD HELP YOU MO!!!” “What happened?” my mom asked “I was U-turning when some snow pushed my legs apart then, one twisted.” “But what about schoolwork?” I asked. “I’ll get them from the office. The next day somebody had carried me up the stairs all the “immature” kids laughed at me but the other kids signed my cast and used my crutches. I got a little annoyed but I liked it.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 86

Rustle, rustle, sway, sway down go my leaves from green, to yellow, to crumbly brown. When I clutch to my babies, I find it to be hopeless. I can only regain them in the spring and summer. As I pull one eye down, I can see all the clumps of garbage carelessly thrown around me by campers and hunters. The smoke reaches the top of my trunk, and worst of all when they leave a piece of glass behind, it changes me from a beautiful oxygen producer into ashes. Fire engine! Where are you? I’d rather rot than live a life like this. No one respects me; I create oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide to prevent global warming. I also give paper and wood for your use in everyday life. So people of the world, why not respect me and I will give you what you need, if not go ahead and die in vain.

Article posted October 18, 2011 at 09:32 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 97

Presidents should always have these traits so they can get along as leaders. They should be knowledgeable and wise so they can solve problems with ease. They should also be responsible for the well-being of their people. Honesty is a must because if the country being ruled is in a bad position he should tell his people in a determined tone that he will keep them safe instead of letting them live a life based on a lie. In addition to this they should also be determined so they can their work done, and they must not quit so they don’t let their people down. They must be trustworthy so they can keep government secrets, and must be kind so the people respect him in return. They must be cooperative so they can cope with other leaders well, and must be attentive in meetings so they can gain ideas. So if you want to be a president you must have these qualities.

I was born in the state of Arkansas. I am 10 years old. Hope you like my articles!!!!!!! :))