Copyright (c) 2014 by RD Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RD -- Blogmeister

Robin

5B

by RD

teacher: Mrs. B (Grade 5 - 2011-2012)

Title: 5B - Book Report (01/10/12)

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:29 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 325

The Monsters Ring   

By Bruce Coville

Main character: Russell Crannaker

Chiastic traits: (Kind) He is kind to his friends he is not a betrayer.

(Trustworthy) He keeps a secret if his friends till him one.

(Untruthful) If he did something bad and the principle calls his parents. His parents ask him what happened at school. He says nothing happened it was a normal day.

Connections: I remembered that when I watched the witches they only change to their witch form when there is no humans around.

Pages: 128

Genre: Fiction

Where: In the town/house/alley/school/shop

When: Morning/afternoon/night

Passage chosen: I think the author choose the title of this book because a part of the storyRussell goes to a store and he is looking at the things there is. But it Is not just an ordinary shop it is a magic store. Russell adores magic it is amazing. “What do you want young boy?” asked the man in the store. “Nothing I a just looking” Replied Russell. “How much money do you have?” asked the man. “I have a few dollars left from the cafeteria” said Russell. “Take this and go away,” said the man. Russell left the shop.

Summary: Russell Crannaker was playing with the school bully and all of a sudden it was getting dark so Russell left the alley where he was playing. The moon was up and it was very dark Russell ended up on a street he never went/saw. Russell went to a shop. . “What do you want young boy?” asked the man in the store. “Nothing I a just looking” Replied Russell. “How much money do you have?” asked the man. “I have a few dollars left from the cafeteria” said Russell. “Take this and go away,” said the man. Russell left the shop. And went back home. After dinner Russell went up to his room he opened the box and put the ring on his hand it had magnificent drawings on it. Russell took the paper and unfolded it. He read the instruction and twisted the ring two times it said if you twist the ring three times no one had dare. He looked himself in the mirror and nothing happened after two min. horns, hair, claws came. As stupid as he was he asked himself “What is happening to me?” he went to the bath room and his mother asked “Russell is everything okay?” “Sure I just needed to use the bathroom urgently.” Russell was shocked. He went back to his room and read the instruction for turning to his normal self. He turned himself back and went to bed. A few days later it was the day before Halloween. It was lunch time Russell was sitting on a cafeteria table then the school bully sat in front of him. Russell hated the school bully. Russell started to throw food at the school bully. His teacher came and said “I send both of you to the office” so both of the boys went to the office. The school bully always goes there. Of course. The principle of the school that everyone calls him the beast called Russell’s parents. They came and picked up Russell. The next day it was Halloween. And all of the grade five and the lower grades were suppose to were a Halloween costume and make parade. Russell went out of the car and went to his classroom. The teacher announced that all of you change. I will send three by three to change in the bathroom. Russell and two other people from his class went to the bathroom and changed. Russell put on his ring and twice it two times like he did the last time. When Russell went out both of his friends were amazed. When Russell arrived to the class rom every body was like “Cool how did you do this costume?” and me the teacher I well announced the winner of the costume is Russell Crannaker. But all of a sudden Russell became crazy he jumped and ran out of the class room Russell first went to the bully class he tried to get him but the teacher of his class and the other teacher shouted “Stop it go back to you’re class room you monster.” Then Russell went to other classrooms and did the same thing. His teacher told him go to the principle’s office. Russell went to the beast of the school. The beast called his parents and Russell went up to the tree till it was dismissal time. Russell came down and went to the car. And he told his parents a lie of what happened at school. Russell went back home and went up to his room. “Mom can I go to the carnival of the Halloween party?” “Of course if you do not do trouble.” So Russell changed and twist the ring three times he flew out of the window and went he saw Eddie the school bully this time he was bullied three teens were punching him. Russell was very high in the sky maybe 546 meters high. Russell said I well save him. Russell dashed down and threw one f the teens away the other one ran away and the other one Russell threw him in the river. Russell said to Eddie “If you stop Bullying Russell Crannaker I will leave alone you” Eddie said “Of course” Eddie was very scared. “And if you go to my house I will take you look in my room for a paper with instructions.” “Okay” Eddie said. Russell carried Eddie to the house of Russell. Eddie went through the window got the instructions and went out. Quickly Russell put Eddie to his house and tried to find the Magic shop. Russell was not finding it. Russell tried to turn to his self but he could not. And then Russell found it Russell said “Please can you make me turn back to my normal self” “No I cannot but I will let you sleep here tonight” “Okay” Russell said. When Russell woke up he was back to normal but he was naked quickly Russell put the curtain of the shop around him. It was early morning so Russell ran as fast as he can to his house. He arrived and went up to his room. When Russell got there he realized he lost the ring. “Good I do not care it caused a lot of trouble.”

The End

About the author:

Bruce Coville was born in Syracuse on May 16, 1950. He went to Duke University in North Carolina. He lived in central New York until 1990. He went back to Syracuse.

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:27 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 64

The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp

Characteristic Traits of Alfred Kropp

Humble: Down to earth. Likes technology but can live without it.

Insecure: Hates his size and looks, always feels left out because of his physical appearance.

Blunt: Everything that comes into his mind goes shouting out of his mouth without thinking about the consequences.

Summary

This thrilling and fascinating book The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp sends shivers down your spine with the most outstanding events and sequences all packed up in 339 pages. The adventures will take you back in time to King Arthur and his knights sitting around the round table discussing the events and problems of Camelot.  In the mean time a minor teenage boy Alfred Kropp living with his uncle has been offered a deal to steal a mystery sword from his uncle’s boss. Alfred miserably agrees, but once he has stolen the sword he realizes the power and strength of what was King Arthur’s sword. Surprised that the sword was King Arthur’s, Alfred tries to return the sword back to its original owners and sacrifices his life for the sword. The story mainly takes place all around the world in France, England, and mainly Tennessee. While trying to save the sword from falling into the wrong hands, mischief and trouble come knocking on his door and there’s no way out!

Richard Yancey

Richard Yancey, the award winning author of The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp, earned a degree in English from Roosevelt University of Chicago. The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp was nominated for the prestigious Carnegie Medal in 2005. He has also written a number of books including Confessions of a Tax Collector, Teddy Ruzak mystery series, The Monstrumologist series, and The Highly Effective Detective. Rick lives in Florida with his wife Sandy and two sons.

Connections

·        This book resonates with “The Series of Unfortunate Events” because of all the bad luck Alfred Kropp has just like the Baudelaire children.

·        Kropp reminds me to be thankful for what I have because the main theme is having nothing but at the same time having everything.

·        The adventures that Alfred Kropp goes through resemble those of King Arthur and his knights.

Publication Facts

·        Genre: Fantasy Fiction

·        Level: X-Y

·        Year Published:  September 2006 by Scholastic

·        Pages: 339

Bibliography

http://www.bookbrowse.com/biographies/index.cfm/author_number/1227/richard-rick-yancey

http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Rick-Yancey/63159059/biography

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:46 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 52

Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Level: U

Setting: India and England

Pages: 302

Main Character: Mary Lennox

A little bit about Mary Lennox: she is a self centered person and never really liked anyone then her ayah if I could relate her to someone it would be sort of like Esperanza

Other Characters: Mom, Dad, Ayah, Mrs. Medlock, Martha Sowerby, the red breast bird, Colin Craven, Dickon Sowerby, Ben Weatherstaff, Archibald Craven, Lilias Craven, Susan Sowerby, Dr. Craven

Connections: my connection was that the cholera past in her house and people died a disease past through my house too.

Quote:“ One frightfully hot morning, when she was about nine years old, she awakened feeling very cross, and she became crosser still when she saw that the servant who stood by her bedside was not her Ayah."Why did you come?" she said to the strange woman. "I will not let you stay. Send my Ayah to me. The woman looked frightened, but she only stammered that the Ayah could not come and when Mary threw herself into a passion and beat and kicked her, she looked only more frightened and repeated that it was not possible for the Ayah to come to Missie Sahib.”

Quote 2: “When she awakened she lay and stared at the wall. The house was perfectly still. She had never known it to be so silent before. She heard neither voices nor footsteps, and wondered if everybody had got well of the cholera and all the trouble was over. She wondered also who would take care of her now her Ayah was dead.

Problem: Her parents die and she gets sent across the country to England and does not like it but then meets people and things get better

Summary: Mary Lennox is a little girl who is anorexic, yellow pail skinned and from India. Her mother is a beauty unlike her. Her parents put her with an ayah. Then suddenly, a tragedy happened a disease called cholera invaded the house and things happened!

Article posted January 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 63

Author: Louis Sachar

Level: V

Pages: 233

Main Character:

Stanley Yelnats: He’s a friend in need is a friend in deed. He's always there for his friends.

Hector Zeroni: In camp green lake they call him Zero because they think he in not smart and because he does not talk to anyone except Stanley but he is very smart in math and Stanley is teaching nimbi how to read and write.

Warden: She is the one In charge of the camp she puts nail polish from snake poison.

Mr. sir: helps in camp green lake he stopped smoking and now he is eating sunflower seaweed. Does not like Stanley.

Mr. Pendanski: also helps in camp green lake but he is nice to Stanley and he makes fun of zero he always laughs at him because he thinks he’s dump.

About the book: There was a boy called Stanley Yelnats if you read his name backwards it is Stanley Yelnats that’s way his parents called him that it is a tradition in his family. In school everybody hated him because he was overweight they would laugh at him and call him names and throw his stuff in the toilet seat imagine just because he was overweight. He had a great great grandfather who had a curse on him that means his whole family would be cursed and every mistake they would do they would blame it on his no-good-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather. One day Stanley was walking back from school when Clyde Livingston’s 1 million dollars shoe fell from the sky on his head. Clyde Livingston is a famous basketball player. When the police saw him running to show it to his dad the shoe because his dad was trying to invent a shoe recycler but when he would try to invent something it would never work he would always blame it on his no-good-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather. When the police stopped him and saw Clyde Livingston’s shoe he toke him to court and they called his parents. There Stanley explained how he found the shoe but he lied because he knew no one would believe him this time he did not blame it on his no-good-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather it was his own problem. The police asked him if he wanted to go to gail or camp green lake he of course chose camp green lake. In camp green lake there is no lake it is a plain long dessert it is for bad boys under eighteen. Not one drop of rain falls on camp green lake. There they would have to dig a five feet wide and five deep hole and if you found something valuable while you are digging you can give it to the warden and if she likes it she will give you the rest of the day off. The warden is the she’s the chief in charge of camp green lake. Stanley was assigned in group D in group D everybody had a nickname they called Stanley Caveman for some reason. Stanley was careful with all of them because he knew they were dangerous. They would have to wake up at 4:00 in the morning because it is to hot and if they started early they will have more time before sunrise because it is so hot. There Stanley teached Zero (Hector Zeroni) how to read and write. They did a deal that if Zero dug half of Stanley’s hole (because he is a fast digger) for the rest of the day he will teach him how to read and write because he needs strength. Until one day Zigzag had a fight with Stanley and then Zero started choking Zigzag Mr. Pendanski pushed Zero and the Warden came (Mr. Pendanski is the substitute of the warden) the warden asked why this happened Zigzag told him about the deal then the warden asked some letters to zero he got them all right except on everybody started laughing except for Stanley. Zero got the shovel and it threw on Mr. Pendanski then ran away to the dessert. Few days later Stanley thought maybe zero is still alive (because in the dessert there is no water or food you can’t) Stanley tried to steal Mr. Sir’s truck but he could not because the truck fell in the hole so he ran looking for Zero he finally found him sitting under a boat.

Author: Louis Sachar was born in East Meadow, New York on March 20, 1954 he is 57 years old. He at least published 15 books. Graduated from University of California at Berkeley with an economics major. First book was Sideway Stories from Wayside School. Now he Currently lives in Austin, Texas.

Connections: My first connection is in esperanza rising they were forced to work and in holes they were forced to dig holes.

My second connection is when Zigzag started bulling Stanley it is also like in Esperanza rising when Marta bullied Esperanza.

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:25 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 135

Title: The Ear, the Eye and the Arm, published in 1994

Author: Nancy Farmer

Setting: The setting of this novel is in Zimbabwe in the year 2194. In this story, the detectives came from a city of crime and pickpocket similar to Egypt where the crime rate is high. The subways in this book also compare to the New York subways that are crowded with graffiti, vending machines and gangsters.

Summary: In 2194, Tendai, Rita, Kuda, three children living in a very protective environment in Zimbabwe, wanted to go on an adventure by themselves to earn a scout badge. Their praise singer hypnotized their parents as they took all the money and supplies they needed to leave the house. They arrived at the market in the middle of the city but were kidnapped by gangsters who took them to a mine ruled by the She Elephant, the queen of the mines. They had to dig for treasure and plastic; however they escaped to Resthaven, the traditional part of the city where old African culture prevailed especially superstition and spiritual beliefs. The children were forced to leave Resthaven when they were seen as bad luck to the tribe. After they returned to the futuristic side of the city, where creatures are genetically engineered, they were caught in a battle between the She Elephant, who wanted to trade them for money, and the Masks, a group of gangsters who hated the children’s family and wanted to sacrifice one of them to the spirits. Finally the Ear, the Eye, and the Arm detectives saved the children with the use of their special abilities of hearing, seeing, and sensing.

Main Character: The main character in this book is Tendai, a 12 year-old Zimbabwean boy, who’s father is general Matsika, an army general, who is fighting the Masks, a group of gangsters. Tendai is courageous, resourceful, and caring. His courage is shown when he volunteered to be sacrificed as a meal to a spirit mask instead of his siblings. His bravery continues as he seeks answers about the reasons of his kidnapping in very dangerous situations. He is a resourceful person because he had used his surrounding in the best ways possible especially in the mines where he collected rocks to make spears in captivity inside a mine. He also used a child’s crib as a mean of transportation in one of his attempts of escape. Finally, his caring nature was reflected by taking care of his two younger siblings throughout the book, especially when they were attacked by creatures.

Passage Chosen: (Page) 46: When the holophone rang at the Ear, the Eye and the Arm detective agency, all three men sprang to answer it. Arm won, as he always did. His long black snaky arm far outreached anyone else’s. Besides, the tips of his fingers were slightly sticky. “Hello! Detective agency. You lose ‘em, we find ‘em. Sneaky husbands our specialty,” he cried. Ear folded his sensitive ears, and a look of pain crossed his face. “Sorry,” said Arm, lowering his voice.

“I-I need your help,” said Mother on he holoscreen.

“You came to the right place,” Arm said. “Nobody else can do what we do. We can hear a bat burp in the basement. We can see a gnat’s navel on a foggy night. Hunches stick to us like gum to your shoe.”

Connections: My first connection is with a book series called A Series of Unfortunate Events in which three children are kidnapped by an evil character and taken to different places in every book. My second connection is with a book called Esperanza Rising where Esperanza is forced to harvest crops similarly to Tendai, who was forced to mine for plastic and treasures. The third connection is to the crowded markets of Egypt, which are filled with chaos and danger.

Author Information: Nancy Farmer was born in Phoenix Arizona in 1941. She served in the Peace Corps in India. She studied chemistry and moved to Africa to work as a lab technician and insect pathology technician in Zimbabwe. She now lives in California with her husband and son Daniel. She has written eight novels, most of which have Africa as a setting because she had lived there for seventeen years. Her books include House of the Scorpion and A Warm Place. Her novels have won several Newberry Honors and have been translated into 26 languages.

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 09:28 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 75

RUBRIC: SELF- ASSESMENT

Main Character: 5

Setting: 5

Passage Chosen: 5

Passage Reading: 5

Summary: 5

Connections: 5

Author’s

Information: 5

Total: 35

Title: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory published in 1964

&

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, published in 1972

Author: Roald Dahl

Setting: The setting of this 2-book report is in a chocolate factory owned by Willy Wonka. It reminds me of the setting of another book called “The Candy Makers” because they both take place in candy factories. It also reminds me of a water-bottling factory that I went to on a field trip in fourth grade at ACS.

Summary: Charlie Bucket is a poor boy, who lives with his grandparents, mother and father. Willy Wonka is a candy maker extraordinaire; he can make never melting ice cream. One day, Mr. wonka decides to fire all of his employees because they could have been spies from other candy factories. A few weeks later he hired “Oompa-loompas”, small tribal people who love chocolate. Mr. Wonka decided to send out five golden tickets in chocolate bars around the world. The first person to find one was Augustus Gloop, a well-fed child. The next finder was a very spoiled little girl, named Veruca Salt. Third was a gum chewer, Violet Beauregarde. The fourth was mike Teavee, who loved TV. Charlie had bought three bars and one contained the ticket. The next morning he had arrived at the factory with the other children, but during the tour Charlie was not “eliminated” like the other children and was given a very special present. Later on Mr. Wonka took Charlie and his family in a glass elevator, spotted by three astronauts who thought that the family was from Mars, yet later invited them to sleep at the White House. More adventures followed like being chased by “knids”, green egg shaped creatures, as well as taking life changing pills.

Main Character: The main character of this story is Charlie Bucket who is a very poor boy. Charlie is adventurous because throughout his journey, he had always asked to volunteer in risky situations such as when the knids (aliens) were chasing glass elevator. Charlie is also obedient because he had abided by the directions set by Mr. Wonka at all the times during the factory tour; as a result, he was not “eliminated”. Charlie is satisfied and contempt with what he has without complaining. He tolerated his hunger and never asked for melted chocolate during the tour and waited for Mr. Wonka to offer it.

Passage Chosen: (Pages) 1-4: “These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket. Their names are grandpa Joe and grandma Josephine. And these two very old people are the father and mother of Mrs. Bucket. Their names are grandpa George and grandma Georgina. This is Mr. Bucket. This is Mrs. Bucket. Mr. and Mrs. Bucket have a small boy whose name is Charlie Bucket. This is Charlie. How d’you do? And how d’you do? And how d’you do again? He is pleased to meet you. The whole of this family-the six grownups (count them) and little Charlie Bucket- live together in a small wooden house on the edge of a great town.

Connections: My first connection is to “Esperanza Rising” where Esperanza is satisfied and contempt but poor like Charlie. My second connection is to the tale of “Hansel and Gretel” where the children had dangerous encounters with candy like the children in this book where they eat candy that they were not supposed to eat and by doing so get in trouble. My third connection is to Santa Claus who is just like Mr. Wonka and his elves, Oompa-Loompas.

Author Information: Roald Dahl was born in the UK on September 13, 1916 to Norwegian parents. He went to a boarding school and was very unhappy as his autobiography “Boy: Tales of a Childhood” showed. His third children’s book was inspired by his job at a candy factory, Cadbury and his dream of inventing a new chocolate bar. He also wrote adult short stories and won many Edgar Awards. “Tales of the Unexpected” was adapted as a TV series. Most of his stories came from his mother’s Norwegian myths and tales. In his writing he uses trolls, witches, and dark humor, humor about sad topics.