Copyright (c) 2014 by Danielle Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Danielle -- Blogmeister

-

8th grade gifted English follows the 9th grade curriculum in the order of the 8th grade units. 8th grade gifted Extended Academics intends to stretch gifted learners as does 8th grade Extended Academics intends to enrich studies for students scoring well in mathematics on standardized tests.

by Danielle teacher: Anita Roberts-Long

“Winksy”

In my mind, Winksy was an exciting and daredevil rabbit. That stuffed animal would go everywhere with me. He was given to me on a car trip to Michigan for Easter break many years ago.

Every time that my family would go on a car trip, when I was little, my mom would always give my two siblings and me a little toy. It just so happens that that year Ty was selling three bunnies as their Easter special. It would work out perfectly because there were three of us. The bunnies’ names were Minksy, Winksy, and Binksy.

Soon after we had left our home, my mom pulled out a sack and told us to each pick one of the rabbits inside. I had already seen the one I wanted, the orange rabbit, Minksy. My mom told my brother, David, to pick first. I was absolutely devastated when my brother picked Minksy. I remember trying to grab Minksy out of David’s hands. I managed to grab him, which caused my brother to lunge at me. My mom made me give Minksy back to David. I threw a fit and started crying. My mom told me to pick one of the remaining two rabbits or that I would get last choice. I hurriedly grabbed the second best, Winksy, a gray rabbit, because Binksy, a tan rabbit, was absolutely hideous. My sister took Binksy, saying that she didn’t care which one she got. She put Binksy on the car armrest, and then went back to staring out the window as the tree flashed by. I, still crying, lunged for Minksy again, but David pulled him away. My mom said my name in a warning voice, and I slumped down in my seat. The rest of the day I was in a sour mood, grabbing for Minksy whenever I got the chance.

After a month or so, I eventually realized that I would never get Minksy. My sister had gotten too old for stuffed animals, so she had put Binksy in a box with all of her other mint condition animals. By this time, my rabbit’s fur was all matted and had lost its shine, but Binksy’s coat was the same as new, shiny and soft. About this time, my brother came up with the idea to start a shop with our two rabbits. The store’s name became Minksy and Winksy’s Store. I came up with a lot of the ideas for the store, and my brother worked on bringing our other stuffed animals to the shop, where they could buy gadgets and other items. After a while, we split into different businesses because my brother and I didn’t always get along. I opened Winksy’s Store and my brother opened Minksy’s Store.

When I was six years old my sister went to college and I begged her to let me have Binksy, but she said she didn’t want her rabbit’s fur to get all messed up like mine. She finally consented five years later.

When my brother went to college this year, I asked if I could have Minksy. He said yes, and that he didn’t care. I finally got Minksy, but now I don’t enjoy him as much as I would of before.

In the book Red Scarf Girl, Ji- Li Jaing has a lot of pain in her life during the Cultural Revolution. Her family has been deemed “black”, which causes seemingly never-ending problems for her. She is bullied at school, and some kids write a da-zi-bao about her, saying that she has a relationship with a male teacher. She drops from the top of the class, to the bottom of the class. Never before have I had that kind of pain. I have been bullied before, but always by one or two people, not the whole school. I can only imagine what she is going through.

Her dad is taken in for questioning. Every day she worries about him and hopes that he will come back alive. Her mom is growing ill, and faints all the time (180). It seems as though her world is falling apart. It has been that way for months now. I have felt that way before, but it only lasted a few days at the most.

One day during school she is called to talk with two people about leading a struggle meeting against her father. She doesn’t know what to do. She wants to support her family, but she knows that if she does, she will be deemed a non educatable child. This will cause her more pain and more teasing. There are times when I don’t agree with my parents, but I don’t believe that I would ever go openly against them.

Ji- Li went to the countryside to do hard labor (235). A few days later she became so exhausted that she passed out. I have felt like I was going to pass out before. It feels terrible. You just become so hot.

Article posted October 13, 2011 at 01:06 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Danielle Teter #17

Ms. Roberts- Long

Language Arts- 2nd period

11 October 2011

Personal Connection to Red Scarf Girl