Copyright (c) 2014 by Madeline D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Madeline D -- Blogmeister

4th period

8th grade gifted English follows the 9th grade curriculum in the order of the 8th grade units. 8th grade gifted Extended Academics intends to stretch gifted learners as does 8th grade Extended Academics intends to enrich studies for students scoring well in mathematics on standardized tests.

by Madeline D

teacher: Anita Roberts-Long

Inference
Once a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a person going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this person went. As the man approached, he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.

The man was stuck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached, the person continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

As he came up to the person, he said: "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The person looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said: "It sure made a difference to that one!"

This story made me think that anyone can make a difference no matter how insignificant. In a way, the one act is significant. I wondered if although I am only 12 yars old if I can make a difference in the world. If I try, I can.

Article posted March 16, 2011 at 04:46 PM • comment • Reads 35 • see all articles