Copyright (c) 2014 by Joshua Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Joshua -- Blogmeister

6th period

8th grade gifted English follows the 9th grade curriculum in the order of the 8th grade units. 8th grade gifted Extended Academics intends to stretch gifted learners as does 8th grade Extended Academics intends to enrich studies for students scoring well in mathematics on standardized tests.

by Joshua

teacher: Anita Roberts-Long

Memoir 10/23/11
The Lottery 10/20/11
The Brethren III 05/13/11
The Brethren II 05/13/11
The Brethren 05/13/11
*About the book* 03/03/11
*As you begin* 02/23/11
*What have I learned* 02/17/11
*Pick one* 02/17/11
What I did the first day. 02/11/11
02/11/11
02/09/11

My First Bike Ride

My first and least wanted bike sailed down the street as the wind whipped past my face. I exclaimed, “I’m doing it!” I then screamed, “How do I stop?!” The bicycle gained velocity. I jammed my fingers into every button I could manage to wedge my fingers into. I found the brake. Upon pressing it, I found that I was had gained too much velocity to stop. The bike I was riding disappeared out from under me so instantaneously that I hit the pavement under me still pedaling my feet. That was the only control I had. I than tumbled down the hill I first tried to ride on. My body was unharmed at the bottom, but my pride had taken a major beating.

The story started early that Christmas morning, to the sound of silence. I sprinted across the hall to wake my mom from her slumber, than walked calmly down the hall to the kitchen where she put biscuits in the oven, causing us to wait until somebody woke up, or the oven timer went off. My little brother groggily dragged himself down the hall. I took the job of waking my dad while my mom woke my older brother.

Our family gathered around the Christmas tree. We handed out presents (from youngest to oldest), and then proceeded to open them. I searched around the tree on hands and knees, hoping to see something I had missed. After not finding anything, my mom suggested I go check outside. After arriving outside, I found a brand new bike. It’s orange paint glistened in the Christmas sun.

After my initial response was anger. After that passed, I mounted my bike. After my first incident of falling off, I was ready to give up and march inside. My mom convinced me to try one more time before giving up. I got on again, making sure to start at the bottom of the hill. I started to pedal away from my family, managing to even turn around and pedal back to them.

We than had to get ready for the party at my aunt’s house. When our family arrived, I bragged to all of my cousins who came to that party. We played around and joked with each other. I even showed off on my cousin’s bike. It was my favorite Christmas of all time, and showed me never to give up at what I do.

Article posted October 21, 2011 at 01:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 32

The short story is called “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. The one thing that surprised me in this story is that everything seems so peaceful. When you said that it was ripped off by the “Hunger Games” series, it totally confused me. The story talks about how everything is peaceful. People are talking like they have all the time in the world. They all gather for the lottery. It’s so confusing when they start drawing paper. After reading that story, the ending seems so cruel, and, they give you absolutely no reason for why they do what they do. The ending almost seems like she pulled from an entirely different story. That is what caught me the most by this story.

The book was amazing. I wish there was no ending. I wish I could read it forever. The plot of the story becomes so entwined that it seems like a spider web. The ending of the book is great. I can't wait to read another book.

The book is so great. I like how Aaron Lake has to run for president to save America. I think he likes the opportunity even though he is forced. I'm not sure if he is caught in the scam. I can't wait to find out.

The Brethren is a good book. I think the beginning is very slow. It has been speeding up. I think the judges are very corrupt. I can't wait until I read the rest.

1) The book, "The Last Juror", is very related to, "The Street Lawyer." They have very similar themes. They are both about ordinary people that have the deciding vote in may peoples lives. They both must try to make the right choice no matter what the consequences.

2) So far, I am really liking the book. It is a good book when you read through the beginning. This part is where he introduces most of the characters and reveals some of the plot. It makes the book very interesting and fun to read and enjoy.

3) I really like the choices that Nicholas Easter makes to bring down the tobacco company. It was very risky, though. This is because he is making choices that are threatening their lives.

4) It relates to my own life in many ways. It relates to making the right choice, no matter what the consequences. He also stays true to himself. He does not let the big company frighten him.

1. I am not completly sure of what is going to happen. I think that the main character, Nicholas Easter, will be chosen to be the juror in the trial. I think the book will be concentrated more on what will happen after the trial. I think he will have to deal with whichever side loses the trial on the company.

2. I think I would get along with Nicholas Easter the best because:

a. He is the youngest person in the book.

b. He is a very mysterious person.

c. He is very sly because he can easily evade the camera man.

3. I think he will face many different trials. Since he is the only juror that will decide the fate of a giant tobacco company. I think he will decide to bankrupt them and then have to run from the companies people that come for him.

4. I think that this book relates to the world because he chooses to do the right. He chooses this even though he knows what is probably going to happen to him. I made a text to myself connection because I sometimes feel like you need to do the right thing, no matter what the concequences.

The three things I learned about my poet are:

1: I learned that my poet was a famous poet because of her many writings about true events or images. She wrote many poems about the artist and their artwork.

2: I learned she was a slave as a child, but she had been given an education by her owners. They taught her English, French, and Latin. She had been given and chance and she took it and lifted off.

3: I learned she started writing poetry at the age of thirteen. She did not give up and it helped her to prevail.

The two things I learned about using technology are:

1: Computers do not always know what you want, so it better turn out right the first time.

2: Never think the computer will always work, because sometimes it comes back to haunt you.

The one thing I learned about communication:

1: You can never agree on everything. You are always going to have people that don't agree with you. You have to work through it and find the best solution with everyone.

I picked quote number one. This quote, to me, means that when you trust yourself to be able to do it, it means you have already made progress toward your ultimate goal.

I think it could apply to my life because if you believe you can, and don't give up, it helps you to want to achieve your ultimate goal.

You could use it to make a positive change in someone's life in many ways. It could inspire them when they are about to give up. I tcould give them hope when they are at the door of doubt.

It could make an impact on the world in many ways. It could inspire a nation when it has lst trust in it's leader. It could help to give a criminal a second chance at trying to change. Those are just some of the ways that this quote could impact the world.

In conclusion, this quote has the power to do many great things if you believe that it is true.

Today I worked on finishing the handout.