Copyright (c) 2014 by Collin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Collin -- Blogmeister

3rd period

8th grade gifted English follows the 9th grade curriculum in the order of the 8th grade units. 8th grade gifted Extended Academics intends to stretch gifted learners as does 8th grade Extended Academics intends to enrich studies for students scoring well in mathematics on standardized tests.

by Collin

teacher: Anita Roberts-Long

The Grand Canyon

A vast expanse of mountains and valleys spread out before me as I looked out into the horizon, bathed in orange light from the setting sun. Cold winds blew across my face as I gazed down at the deep gorges in wonder. The Grand Canyon was truly a spectacle to behold. I had never been to a national park quite like it before.

My family stayed there for a few more minutes, watching night fall over the crevices before being driven inside by the biting cold. Even now, in the summer and here, at the bottom of the country, it was still freezing in the open. We were also all tired from a long day of driving. We headed back to our cabin; this could be continued tomorrow.

“Don’t get too close to the edge,” my father cautioned as we walked along a trail. It was the next day, and we had all decided to go on a hike. The path was precariously situated between a rock face and a sheer drop, with little in between. My father had been nervous throughout the entire hike, worried that someone would slip and fall. I was considerably less concerned, and I did not feel that being told again and again not to go near the edge would in any way boost my already high chance of survival.

Finally, we reached the end of the rocky trail: a flat stone at the very end of the ridge. The outcropping offered a splendid view of the canyon. The sight was much better than it had been the night before, unhampered as it now was by buildings and other signs of civilization. I could look at the layers of brown and grey stone and was barely able to see flat land anywhere.

Unfortunately, several other families were also looking at the view, so we decided to leave the crowded rock. The way back along the trail was much more difficult than the way coming down had been. We encountered several other people, and getting around them was a challenge. One group would have to press themselves against the rock wall while the others turned sideways and inched past. We always seemed to be the ones who had to go up against the wall, much to my displeasure.

The Grand Canyon had one more spectacle to add to the wonders it had already produced, and this had nothing to do with rock. That night, braving the chilling winds, we attended a star gazing program. Several local astronomers set up their large, powerful telescopes on the patio of the lodge and aimed them at distant galaxies and constellations. Many more stars were visible here than at home, so even the unaided viewing was spectacular. With the telescopes, however, distant colorful nebulas and galaxies invisible to the naked eye could be seen. I was quite interested in space at the time, so I had a wonderful time looking at all of them.

Finally, tired and cold, we trudged back to our cabin. Tomorrow we would have to leave this place, which none of us were eager to do. It was an amazing vacation, and one that is impossible to forget.

Red Scarf Girl Personal Connection

A personal connection I have to a theme of the story is that I have had unfair things happen to me. In the book, several characters were blamed and punished for things they did not do, such as Uncle Fan. He was accused of listening to foreign radio broadcasts and was beaten for it until he confessed. I have been blamed for things that I did not do, so I know the unfairness he was feeling.

As I have found, it often does not matter the evidence you supply against the accusations. “So what if I never listened to foreign radio broadcasts? They’ll stop beating me if I confess to it.” Uncle Fan says in the book (pg. 175). As he shows, it is hard to convince others of your innocence, and it is often easier just to give a false confession. Although you will still be punished, as I have found out, though far less severely, you will at least remove lying from your list of imagined crimes.

Throughout the book, examples of this unfairness are shown as people are detained for crimes that they never committed. I dislike this feeling, even in more minimal cases, so I understand the hardships that the characters were going through. “We have evidence that your father has committed a serious counterrevolutionary crime” was stated on page 189, but usually the accusers have little to no evidence, which makes the frustration all the greater. I dislike being blamed for something that I did not do and being punished for it, and through that feel connected to the people who suffered far worse for the same thing.

2010; Oddessy Two by Arthur C. Clark is one of the best books I have ever read. It's plot is very interesting. There are many mysteries, and it keeps you wondering even after you finish the book. The oragins of the Monoliths are mysterious and unknown, and their strange powers are ver interesting. The story gives a new veiw of the universe; showing that there could be life even within our own solar system.

The book is very descripive, and makes you fell as if you are in the books stunning locales. The transformation of Jupiter is especally breathtaking. You can practically feel the explosion as Jupiter becomes a sun. The deep seas of Europa are vivid and the life there is well imagined.

The characterization of the story is very good. THrough describing his innocence, Clarke even makes you fell sorry for the lifeless computer HAL as he is destroyed by Jupiter. The friendship of the Russian starship's crew, which comprises of Americans and Russians, is touching because of their countries amnesty for each other. Dave Bowman, who has become the star child, visiting his ailing mother on Earth is a very sad moment. I would highly recomend 2010 to any fans of the science fiction genre.

Article posted April 5, 2011 at 01:47 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 57

The Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan is one of my favorite books. It has a spectacular plot, full of twists and turns. The part where Semirhage is captured is very descriptive. Also, the part when Elayne becomes Queen, as she had been trying to for several books, is very well timed and written.

The Knife of Dreams also has very good characterization. Rand becomes harder, weighed down by the duty of being Dragon Reborn. Egwene also matures and finds how to fight the pain of constant beatings. She also grows a deeper caring for the Aes Sedai she rules.

The book is also very emotionally stirring. The part where Rand loses his hand and barely cares is very sad. The part where Elaida summons Egwene to attend to her is infuriating because of the false Amyrlin's incompetence. It is also releiving when Elayne gains the throne of Andor.

Bullying is teasing or hurting for the purpose of causing another person physical or mental pain. Some things I have seen that could be considered bullying are people calling each other names or punching each other. I have also seen people just not talking to someone else to be mean.

A person who is being bullied can do several things to help theirself. They can tell an adult who can stop the bully. They can also try to ignore the bully or stay with friends. As a student of the school, I can report any bullying I see or help those being bullied.

P.S. I am posting this from a line at Disney World!

This book is similar to other books I've read because it includes fantasy elements. It contains magic and other staples of the fantasy genre. I really like the book so far. It is very suspenseful and interesting.

I do not agree with all of the characters actions. Egwene could capture Tar Valon easily if she transported her army with traveling, but she refuses to do so. The book relates to my life because some of the characters have traits similar to me.

I think the book is going to be about Rand Al'Thor and his path to the last battle. After cleansing saidin, he will still need to fight the shadow among the Asha'Man. Elayne will also most likely try to gain, or perhaps gain, the throne of Andor. Mat will most likely manage to escape the Seanchan with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons.

I think I would get along with Rand best. He is also quiet, but intelligent. Some conflicts I think will be faced will be the forsaken, especially the mysterious Morridin. The shaido are also dangerous with their large number of channelers. The most dangerous threat, however, is the impending Seanchan invasion. A connection I can make to the book is to the will of some of the characters to be silent and left alone.

Article posted February 16, 2011 at 01:04 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 62

The book Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan is a very good book. The book is the ninth in the series, but it defiantly picks up the pace of it's predecessors. The plot is excellent. At the end, Saidin is finally cleansed by Rand Al'Thor.

The characterization is also excellent. The betrayal of Mazrim Taim is learned in the book. Elayne also matures as a potential queen. At the end, the identities of several re born forsaken are learned.

The book is also exciting. The ending is suspenseful, with nearly all of the forsaken trying to stop Al'Thor from cleansing Saidin. The re emergence of Padan Fain is also well timed and unexpected as Rand searches for traitor Asha'man. The book is by far one of the best I've read.

"Believe you can and you're halfway there." Means that if you believe that you can do something, you are more likely to be able to do it. I could apply it to my own life by being more self confident. It could have a positive effect on someones attitude because it could make them try harder and be more likely to succeed. It could make an impact on the world by making people more self confident.

Today, I found some of the information for the paper. I found the salaries and the required degrees.