Copyright (c) 2014 by Danielle S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Danielle S -- Blogmeister

Science according to Danielle (: -

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Danielle S teacher: Mr. Ullrich

We have all different types of weather: good weather, bad weather, even weather in between. There's snow, sleet, hail, rain, fog, smog, wind, sun, clouds, tornadoes, hurricanes, you name it! Mother Earth is very unpredictable, even though we've gotten to know her patterns pretty well. So is that all weather is? Absolutely not! Can we focus on one topic of weather? Sure :)

In my opinion, storms are really interesting, but the type of storm that interests me the most would have to be the hurricane. We all know that hurricanes are really dangerous, carry a lot of water, and that there are a lot of hurricnaes, especially in SouthEast US, but what else is there to know about hurricanes? Well, a lot!

To start off, a hurricane is a tropical cyclone, which in meteorological terms, is a storm system with a closed circulation around a center of low pressure that is fueled when moist air rises, condenses and releases heat. Producing very high winds and torrential rain, hurricanes can be catastrophic for living populations. However, hurricanes also play an important role in relieving sustained droughts and maintaining equilibrium in the environment. Hurricanes often begin as tropical storms, strengthening according to water temperature. Strong wind damage and water damage from flooding and storm surge from hurricanes can wreak havoc on regions all over the world. It can be up to 600 miles across and have strong winds spiraling inward and upward at speeds of 75 to 200 mph. Each hurricane usually lasts for over a week, moving 10-20 miles per hour over the open ocean. Hurricanes gather heat and energy through contact with warm ocean waters. Evaporation from the seawater increases their power. Hurricanes rotate in a counter-clockwise direction around an "eye." The center of the storm or "eye" is the calmest part. It has only light winds and fair weather. When they come onto land, the heavy rain, strong winds and large waves can damage buildings, trees and cars.

Hurricane Diagram

Click Here to get your very own Hurricane Tracking Chart.

If you live an area that's prone to hurricanes, then an emergency kit can be a big help for you. An emergency kit is designed to give you all the basic things you need to survive and be safe, from a way to get clean water for yourself to first aid kits and other helpful tools.

How do hurricanes form?

Hurricanes only form over really warm ocean water of 80°F or warmer. The atmosphere (the air) must cool off very quickly the higher you go. Also, the wind must be blowing in the same direction and at the same speed to force air upward from the ocean surface. Winds flow outward above the storm allowing the air below to rise. Hurricanes typically form between 5 to 15 degrees latitude north and south of the equator. The Coriolis Force is needed to create the spin in the hurricane and it becomes too weak near the equator, so hurricanes can never form there.

(Graphic Credit: UCAR)

Hurricane Formation

Click Here to learn more about hurricanes from UCAR.

What is storm surge?

Storm surges are frequently the most devastating element of a hurricane. As a hurricane’s winds spiral around and around the storm, they push water into a mound at the storm’s center. This mound of water becomes dangerous when the storm reaches land because it causes flooding along the coast. The water piles up, unable to escape anywhere but on land as the storm carries it landward. A hurricane will cause more storm surge in areas where the ocean floor slopes gradually. This causes major flooding.

As you watch the storm-surge animations, notice the effect that the physical geography of each coastline has on storm surge. Also, note the waves on top of the ocean's surface. Wind, waves, and sea-level rise all contribute to storm-surge damage.

Shallow-Water Coastline
Storm Surge
Deep-Water Coastline
Storm Surge

With technology the way it is, there are computer models that allow forecasters to predict the amount of storm surge that will affect a coastal area. These are called Slosh Models and take into account a storm’s strength, its path, how the ocean shallows, and the shape of the land. Then it calculates how much storm surge a hurricane will probably cause.

When does hurricane season start?

The Atlantic hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30, but most hurricanes occur during the fall months. The Eastern Pacific hurricane season is from May 15 to November 30. (Below is a graphic that shows you when hurricanes are most active across parts of the world.)

Hurricane Formation

Who names hurricanes?

From 1950 to 1952, tropical cyclones of the North Atlantic Ocean were identified by the phonetic alphabet (Able-Baker-Charlie-etc.), but in 1953 the US Weather Bureau switched to women's names. The rest of the world eventually caught on, and naming rights now go by the World Meteorological Organization, which uses different sets of names depending on the part of the world the storm is in. Around the U.S., only women's names were used until 1979, when it was decided that they should alternate a list that included men's names too. There's 6 different name lists that alternate each year. If a hurricane does significant damage, its name is retired and replaced with another.

Atlantic Hurricane Names

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Names

What is the difference between a hurricane and a typhoon?

Nothing except geography. Tropical storms occur in several of the world's oceans, and except for their names, they are essentially the same type of storm. In the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, and the Eastern Pacific Ocean, they are called hurricanes. In the Western Pacific Ocean, they are called typhoons. In the Indian Ocean, the Bay of Bengal, and Australia, these types of storms are called cyclones.

Hurricane Georges

(This is a satellite animation of Hurricane Georges, which struck the Mississippi Gulf coast in 1998.)

Who are the "Hurricane Hunters"?

The brave "hurricane hunters" work for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Each mission lasts about ten hours, with the crews passing four to six times through the storm. The planes carry radar, sophisticated computers, and weather instruments that determine characteristics such as temperature, air pressure, wind speed, and wind direction inside the hurricane. The crews also release instruments that measure temperature, air pressure, and wind at different levels as the devices drop through the hurricane toward the ocean. By mission's end, NOAA can warn everyone in the hurricane's path. (Below is a satellite image of Hurricane Mitch back in October 1998. The Hurricane Hunters flew into the eye of Mitch just as this Category 5 hurricane with winds of 155 mph smacked right into Central America.)

Hurricane Mitch Hurricane Hunters Plane

Well, that's weather for you! (:

-Daniee(:

By the way, these are the two sites I got all my information from. Again, giving credit to both these sites. NONE OF THIS IS MINE, THIS IS CREDITED TO THESE SITES! (: thanks!

-http://www.weatherwizkids.com/weather-hurricane.htm

-http://www.livescience.com/hurricanes/

Article posted February 7, 2011 at 08:04 PM • comment (13) • Reads 285 • see all articles

I am an 8th grader and am currently in Earth Science. It is awesome and look forward to all of the rest of the unit =D Locations of visitors to this page