Copyright (c) 2014 by AJ Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AJ -- Blogmeister

Harry potter

5D

by AJ

teacher: Mrs. B (Grade 5 - 2011-2012)

Title: 5D Matters (12/08/11)
Description: Students were asked to write news articles about something they're interested in for the ACS Matters, an official campus publication.

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 05:26 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 273

History of Big Events

It is very important that students attend the carnivals and events at ACS, to show appreciation to their school and celebrate what ACS has accomplished. I have interviewed Dr. Damon and Mr. Chapman about history of big events.

During 2003-2011, the biggest events were the prep rally and the carnival. They were the biggest events because they had a lot of space and lots of people attending. To prepare the carnivals, ACS would rent, buy, or ask parents to donate equipment. Student council would help organize events. Usually, ACS would have small events away from school such as plays and concerts. To set up an event (within the school) it would take 1,500 people, because people in ACS would contact other people to bring certain equipment. The money added up to enter a big event would be $3,000 because loads of people would attend, and the price is at least 10-15 L.L. In 2010, 2 events were postponed: Field Day (because of rain) and the carnival (because of political problems). The biggest number of people who would attend to the events was 1,800. The most popular event was the carnival because it was organized to have fun. The events had big difference back then from now because back then there were not many events and now there are carnivals and more trips students organized.

School events are really important because they show what the school has accomplished, and they help the school be a better place to be!

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 08:41 AM GMT+2 • comment (2) • Reads 71

The transition from middle school to high school is hard and there are different issues students must deal with. You’re more mature in high school so you’re able to do more things and buy supplies for your classes. I interviewed two high school students so that when I get to high school most of my questions will be answered. These are my questions:

1.   Do you like high school?

High school student 1: Yes.

High school student 2: Yes I like high school because it is an important time in our lives.

2.   Did you like your time in A.C.S.?        

H.S.S.1: Yes I met a bunch of people that I’ll know for a really long time.

H.S.S. 2: Yes I like A.C.S.

3.   Is the homework hard?

H.S.S. 1: No so don’t worry.

H.S.S.2: As long as you paid attention in class, it’s alright. Helps you review the lesson.  

4. Is it hard to move from middle school to high school?

H.S.S.1: Nope, not much difference just a little bit more work.

H.S.S 2:  The transition from middle school to high school will be challenging, but it gets easier eventually. Once you get the hang of it its smooth sailing from there.  

5.   Is it true that you get to pick your classes? 

H.S.S.1: Yes in 11th and 12th grade.

H.S.S.2: Yes you do get to choose which science course to take (biology, chemistry, or physics) language (French or Arabic),I don’t know about Lebanese baccalaureate.

6.   What is the biggest difference between middle school and high school?

H.S.S.1: I guess the whole concept of high school, is the stuff we learn, the teachers, the equipment, the thinking and preparing for the rest of our lives…

H.S.S.2: there is definitely more work in high school and much more effort expected but it helps you prepare for university life.

7.   What do you like about high school?

H.S.S.1: All the things get to do and learn. It’s really not as scary as you think, just enjoy it!

H.S.S.2: High school is when you discover yourself, and when life gets more serious.                      

Now that most of my questions are answered, high school will not be so hard.This is not just for me but for other fifth graders as well. 

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 07:39 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 87

Article about Preforming Arts

The visual and preforming arts inspire students and help you learn in a nice and creative way. I wanted to interview the middle school music teacher, Mr. Jeremy Chapman because I think it is important for parents, children, and teachers to understand the meaning of preforming arts.

Why do you like teaching music?

I like teaching music because I think it is a subject that inspires students.

What kind of music is your class doing?

We are doing a lot of band music.

Do you play an instrument? If yes what kind?

The instruments that I play are the saxophone and flute.

What got you interested in music?

Well, I grew up listening to music.

Is there anything else you like to teach other than music?

I taught drama.

How do you feel music has changed in general?

Now there is a lot of electronic music, hip hop, and rap.

Do you think the audience is more interested than before?

Now the music is better.

I hope you understood how music was and is now. As a choir student, music has inspired me. Thank you Mr. Chapman for taking from your time and letting me interview you.

I also interviewed Mr. James McLean because I think drama also inspires many people because it is creative, funny and has different genres. Here is what he said:

What do you like about teaching drama?

I like different ways to look at the same thing. Let me give you a quote: “Theater is life, Life is theater.”

Did you preform plays?

Yes and I still do.

Do students enjoy this subject?

Yes, they do.

Do you think the audience looks up to your creations?

Yes, I think so, not only my creations but drama in general.

How long have you been teaching drama?

I have been teaching drama for 30 years.

How do you feel the plays have changed?

They become pertinent.

No, I think they were more interested before.

Those were Mr. McLean’s wonderful words. They inspired me and I am sure they inspired you too. I hope you better understand the meaning of preforming arts. I did. Thank you Mr. McLean.

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM GMT+2 • comment (3) • Reads 60

Dear Students, Faculty and Teachers,

Nicolas Boke is a fascinating person. Mr. Boke is an English and History teacher in high school. I find him interesting because he is fun, smart, and a very good teacher. This is what we talked about:

When were you at ACS?

From 1957-1961 [as a student] and 2007- 2012 [as a teacher].

Which courses are your favorite, Social Studies or English?

I like them both.

What is your favorite Lebanese food?

Mannoush with Zaatar.

What part of Lebanon you like the most?                                                                                      

Beirut.

What do you like/hate about ACS?

I like everything.

What do you love most about English?

Helping people see how complicated it is.

Thank you for reading my article. I hope you learned about Mr. Boke because he is an amazing English and History teacher. I think everyone should meet Mr. Boke because he is leaving this year. Everyone should really experience a conversation with him.

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 76

The history of ACS is a very important topic for students and teachers, so they can learn about the history.

I was curious about the history of school so I decided to get information about it but of course I can’t tell you all the answers because ACS has a very long history.

From year 1905 till year 2011, ACS has grown a lot and the purpose of that is that it has to do with the student’s education. ACS is a very good school but not the best but one of the best because we never want to be the best but we want to be better.

Margaret Bliss is the first person to event ACS she went to collage then came back to be a teacher. She is a very smart and active girl and she likes to play around all the time.

Like Margret bliss, bell Dorman is an important girl in the history of ACS. She is the daughter of the president of AUB and she was in charge of the girl’s scouts group. Bell is a very interesting girl she is too short for her age and she is an interesting girl to research about.

At first ACS was called the Faculty School because it was only allowed to let in the children of AUB professors, but now all Lebanese children and other kids from other countries can attend.

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 08:59 PM GMT+2 • comment (4) • Reads 75

Bullies in ACS

Bullying is a problem at every school, including ACS. I wanted to know what to watch out for when I get into high school, and I want to know what older bullies are like. I hope that bullies will read this article and try to stop bullying others. I wrote a survey that was given to high school bullies to learn about their motive.

Have you ever engaged in bully behavior?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Do you think you could treat people in a better way?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

How do you feel when you are treating people unkindly?

1. Sometimes happy.

2. Because I felt superior even though I wasn’t.

3. It’s funny for fun.

Why do you sometimes treat people unkindly?

1. For fun.

2. Depending on why I am treating people unkindly, I feel a certain way … If people deserve it I don’t feel anything and If they don’t I usually feel guilty.

3. Nothing.

Have you ever picked on someone smaller than you?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No.

Have you ever been picked on? If yes how did it feel?

1. Yes, it felt awful.

2. No.

3. No.

Have you ever faced consequences for treating people unkindly? If yes, did it make you change your behavior?

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 05:49 PM GMT+2 • comment (2) • Reads 95

I am interviewing 8th grader, Lara Sabra because she has been in ACS for a long time! I wanted to know some things about her opinion regarding Elementary School, Middle School, and her going to High School next year. Here are some questions….

How were your elementary years?

They were really good years for me. I enjoyed them very much because the work was very easy.

How was your first year in Middle School?

It was scary because they were a lot of older kids, and the work was harder than before.

How is Middle School overall?

It is a good experience, and I’m sort of sad to leave it next year.

Which do you like more, Elementary or Middle School?

I like Elementary more.

Why do you like Elementary more?

I like it more because it was easier and we had fun during school.

How do you feel about going to High School?

I feel nervous and excited, because I’m starting High School and again I’m going to be the youngest one because 9th grade is the lowest grade in High School, and excited because I’m starting a new division.

Now I know what it will feel like going to Middle School and High School. I feel excited and scared at the same time; I know the first year in Middle School will be unforgettable.

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 08:36 AM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 69

I am writing this article so students are happy with our school in order to celebrate what our school has accomplished. I also want students attend what their school has made. In order to help students know how many amazing things our school has paid for and accomplished in the past and present here are the things I want to know:

What is the biggest event in ACS?

What is the hardest thing to do in a big event?

How long did it take to prepare some of the biggest events?

What are some of the many big changes from then and now?

How long did it take to prepare an event back then?

How many people do you have to get to pull off an event?

How much money does it take to work out an event?

How many big events were canceled?

How were the big events back then?

What was the main attraction of the events back then?

Guess who will give the answers to you? Me, Ryan! First, you should know what the biggest event is: it’s the pep rally. What do you think is the hardest thing to do in a big event? Dr.Damon thinks the hardest thing to do is to work out the details. Can you believe that it takes eight months to prepare an event? Dr.Damon also said that there is a difference from when the school started till now; nowadays we have more student volunteers, so thank them too. Not all events worked out, two events was canceled one due to rain. Do you know how many people must attend the event to pay the bills? At least 1,500 people and 12 employees to organize it. Do you know how much money it takes? It takes $50,000 max to organize it. There is another difference from when Dr.Damon started till now, it is that there are a lot more events from now. Dr.Damon also told me that he thinks the main attraction is being together.

Thanks for reading my article.

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 04:25 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 139

Welcome to 6th grade

JLK

As a student half way through my last year in elementary, the transition between divisions piqued my curiosity. Even though some teachers don’t consider the transition between elementary and middle school one of the most important, Mrs. Sara Khoury disagreed, “I think that the transition is the biggest transition students go through in their student lives,” she said, as I questioned her on the transition.

A step into middle school also comes with some requirements, “You definitely need more responsibility,” stated Mohammad H., a newly promoted 6th grader. Mrs.Khoury also thought that moving into 6th grade required increased responsibility, “Going from E.S. to M.S. is going from being with one room with teachers coming to you to suddenly having a locker outside the classroom and having to organize yourself, you need to organize your time, you have to remember your schedule and were the rooms are, so there’s a lot of new responsibility that falls on the students’ shoulders.” The chance to have the time and space to move freely also requires enhanced independence.

Excitement has stirred around the 5th grade hall as the thought of moving up has passed around the students. I asked Hadi A. how excited he was, “I am extremely excited,” he said, “but I will miss this building.” I asked Mohammad, “I much prefer M.S.,” he answered with enthusiasm.

Moving into middle school is very exciting and moving in will be extremely nerve wracking, and as 2011 comes to a close the transition is ever closer.

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 08:39 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 82

You might think jealousy led me to write this article; you see when I went to the pep-rally everybody was cheering for him and even shaking his hand. I guess you’re wondering who “he” is; he is the ACS mascot, Sebastian Shehadi. I had the opportunity to interview him to know how it feels to be the ACS mascot.

1. How does it feel to be the ACS knight?

I feel proud and honored.

2. How did you get chosen?

I think I was chosen because I did drama.

3. Is school spirit important to you? Why?

Yes, because it brings the student body together.

4. How does wearing the costume change you?

I don’t feel like me I feel like the knight.

5. What is your favorite part of the job?

Getting photos with people and seeing how excited people get around the knight.

7. Did you want to be ACS mascot?

Of course.

8. Is being is being the ACS important to you?

Yes.

“It’s my last year so it feels good to be able to contribute to the community.”

The ACS mascot is more than just a costume; he represents ACS by showing school spirit. The ACS mascot shows us how to represent ACS and inspires us to be proud of ACS.  

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 08:32 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 74

What can we do to make a better school? This topic helps us know what we can do to make a better school so everyone feel safe when they come to school. I have also chosen this topic because I think It’s interesting to know what other people are thinking about school, It’s interesting to compare people’s opinions.   I have chosen three people to interview. I have chosen Roque Gelacio in 5D because I wanted to know what he thought about things we can do to make a better school. I have chosen Sereen Husari in 5D because I wanted to know the perspective of a girl. I have chosen Jack Kemp in 5D because he is in student council.                                                                      

Roque

What do think about school?   I think school is a place for learning and making friends.

What can you do to make a better school?   Not bully.

Do you feel safe in school?   Yes, very much because the teachers help me.

What do you like about school?   I like how people are kind and you learn a lot.

Is the learning good? Yes, because the teachers explain what to do and they explain why we are learning it.

Sereen

What would you change about school? I wouldn’t change anything about school because It’s great.

What can you do to make a better school? We can be a good example for the smaller kids.

Do you feel safe in school? Yes, because of the teachers and the guards.

What do you like about school? I like everything because the learning is good.

Jack

What do you like about school? I like meeting friends and learning.

What can you do to make a better school? Clean up after ovrselves for example, pick up pencils.

Do you feel safe in school?   Definitely because of the guards and the teachers help.

What do you like about school?   I like to learn and go on trips.

Is the learning good? Definitely! It’s really good and we have really good supplies.

From this interview we have learned that many agree about the question: What do you like about school? They liked the learning, and from that we understand that the learning in school works for the students.

Greetings from Hogwarts School of Wizards and Witchcraft, I'm Aneese. I'm 10 years old. I love to read, when I'm not writing. I am Amarican. My favorite football team is Liverpool.My favorite sport(s) are swimming, playing tennis, and running. Bye....