Copyright (c) 2014 by FN Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
FN -- Blogmeister

ilovekitty

5B

by FN

teacher: Mrs. B (Grade 5 - 2012-2013)

Title: 4A - Folktale Reflection (12/12/11)
Description: Reflect on our folktale unit.

What did you like or dislike about folktales?

Did you have a favorite or least favorite character?

Explain a story that you thought built great tension.

What themes did you think were particularly good?

How did they teach you about the Middle East?

What were some elements of folktale that you noticed consistently?

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 08:03 PM GMT+2 • comment (4) • Reads 51

This is what I like about Folktales:

What I like about Folktales is that there not real, they are fiction stories.  What I also like about Folktale’s is that they are sort of like fairytales. I also like that they are in the Middle East, where I live.

What I noticed about Folktales: 

I noticed in elements of Folktales is that in some stories there are good VS evil. I also noticed that in some Folktale stories is that there is someone that always helps the main character with him/her problem.

Article posted January 8, 2012 at 07:21 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 38

What I like about Folktales is that they can be very imaginative, and always have morals. They describe countries and people and clothes and food we don’t know about. I also like folktales because there is always an adventure.

The story that builds the most tension for me was the tale of Aladdin when they described the genie pop out of the lantern.

The courage of the main character is always my favorite theme because it teaches you to be brave.

All folktales have lessons and happen in different countries, there is always a fight between good and evil. There is always a target to achieve and they are never real. there are mostly religious things, and the tension is always high.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 02:30 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 47

I like folktale because you get to learn more about the Middle East.

I liked the good characters and hated the bad characters.

I liked the story (The Forty Thieves) because the tension went high and low.

I think the theme should be "Don’t be jealous".

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:49 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 40

I learned from the the past Middle East they wore Robes I mean by like 1886.

In the past Middle East they did not have cars they use to ride camels or horses.

In the past Middle East they used swords not guns.

They did not have automatic doors.

They did not have telephones. 

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:55 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 41

The folktale taught me a lot about the Middle East.

For example I didn’t know that they used to believe in gods, like the god of the sun and other gods.

And there are few lions in the Middle East because there’s a lot of deserts and barely any jungles.

The people in Middle East are not that brave and run away when there is the slightest thing happens.

Pine trees are most trees that are in M.E.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 02:35 PM GMT+2 • comment (4) • Reads 41

I like that they are not real, because it makes them cool. In Aladdin a genie comes out of a lamp. 

Did you have a favorite or least favorite character?   My  favorite character is Guha the wise fool because he is funny.  He told boys to go to the  kings.

Explain a story that you thought built great tension. 6 because Guha get in trouble.    

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:46 PM GMT+2 • comment (2) • Reads 41

I liked that the author could use his sense of creativity, and could make it based on his country’s beliefs.

I also noticed that the main element is teamwork.  Because when Gilgamesh was about to be killed by the bull of heaven, Enkidu jumped on the bull and distracted it so Gilgamesh could run away to kill the bull from behind.

I also learned that a long time ago, people used to believe that gods existed! Like Shamash the god of the sun. Or Ishtar the goddess of love.

Article posted December 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 45

What I like about folktales:

What I like about folktales is that they build the tension up and then drop it, and they always have happy endings.

The librarian of Basra was my favorite character because she loves books. I also like her because she thinks the process of escaping before she does the plan.

Explain a story that you thought had great tension:

I think it is The Forty Fortunes because it went high then low then high and then the climax happened and then it dropped down. I also think its Forty Fortunes because many problems happened and each problem was worse than the other.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:38 PM GMT+2 • comment (2) • Reads 36

This is what I learned about the Middle East:

What I learned in Gilgamesh- the Last Quest

-There are some lions in the Middle East, and the people of Uruk believe in gods and immortality, and there is a dead sea there, except you don’t die if you touch it.

-Kings ruled cities and the people they rule usually hunt wild animals in the Dessert or in the forests in the mountains.

-The city of Uruk was ruled by Gilgamesh.

What I learned in the Librarian of Basra

-There are libraries in the Middle East and people there respect the books there.

- There is war in the Middle East which means there are bombs and planes in the Middle East.

My favorite character(s) are:

Shamat: because she is pretty and kind, she also plays the lyre.

Salah: because he loves animals and cares for a camel.

Alia: because she loves books just like me and cares for them. 

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:40 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 41

I like the fact that you can use imagination to make it more fun.

My least favorite character is Goha in the story Goha the Wise fool because he isn’t really bright.

I like the book Fatima, the Spinner and the Tent because there is tension then there is not...  That’s what I like about Fatima, the Spinner and the Tent.

Good vs. evil and Determination.

They were saying witch location it was and the stuff and clothing that are in that location.

I usually saw determination because people usually never give up.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 44

In the Great Night Journeys, they have striking carpets like green, red, light purple, and, blue. And I noticed that there is mostly pine, palm trees, and cacti. And they say in the book that it is true that they want to kill Muhammad. And Muhammad was a Prophet.

Article posted January 5, 2012 at 09:58 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 36

1. I like how folktales don’t always have to be real. And what I don’t like is that the characters always are serious and that they have to be from the Middle East.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:51 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 46

1.       I like how there is always a lesson in folktales because is always a useful one and always teaches you something good. While they are fun stories to read and the y are very interesting.

2.       I think the best folktale theme is never give up and if you persists you will do well.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 08:05 PM GMT+2 • comment (2) • Reads 41

1. The folk tales taught me about the Middle East because the pictures show some of the settings of the Middle East.

2. The pictures also show me what clothe people in the M.E. wear.

3.

My favorite character is Gilgamesh. Because he is strong he killed many monsters. He is also a wealthy king. He is the king of Uruk.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:42 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 39

What I like about folktales is that sometimes they have real information and I like folktales because they are made up. For example Aladdin the genie comes out of a lamp. And sometimes they have small parts of real information for example a folktale about war and it can be real sometimes

The themes that were good are bravery because in a lot of folktales. The theme was bravery and the other theme is cooperation because in folktales there are a lot of cooperation in folktales for example in Aladdin the genie helps Aladdin instead of hearting Aladdin. 

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:57 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 42

I like folktales because they are not real. I really like them and they are really fantasy. The setting is real and they don’t look like the real place but it’s real. I am reading Middle East folktales and they are all so good. I like everything about folktales.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 08:01 PM GMT+2 • comment (1) • Reads 37

Question 2

Yes I do have a favorite character and he is Horus because he is very brave. He is a trustable boy. He is always persuading his Grandpa not to give up. He is my favorite character because he is a good hero. He is my favorite character because he is a known character and a famous character. Horus is my favorite character because his dad is a person who is famous because some places in Cairo are called Osiris.