Copyright (c) 2014 by gb Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
gb -- Blogmeister

-

Ms. H's Thinkers & Bloggers

by gb teacher: Ms. H

Article posted May 9, 2011 at 03:53 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

Dear Classmates,

Maureen Sherry has just visited Jamison today, Monday May 9th 2011.  Everyone had loads of questions that they wanted to pile on top of this fabulous author.  Maureen Sherry is so sweet and kind.  Plus, she is very pretty too!  Maureen loves writing and is trying to finish a sequel to Walls WIthin Walls!  The next book is called Tunnels To Tunnels.  Maureen has a pattern with the titles that contain alliteration.  Does anyone one else in class want to read the next book of the author.  Whether or not you like her books, she is one of my favorite authors and I will continue to read her books!  PEACE!

-GB

Article posted May 3, 2011 at 05:12 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Dear Classmates,

We have just finished the book “Walls Within Walls”!  It is one of my favorite books yet!  I am satisfied with the ending, however, It left me clueless except for a foreshadow of the children looking for the lost jewel.  Now I want to read the next book in the series to find out what happens because I personally love when the ending is really the end.  I will probably keep reading books in the series until the final book.  That is how good I think the book is.  My favorite character is Brid because she is just like me except for her age.  We are both have the gender, (male or female) we love to right things down, we are smart, and we love to solve mysteries.  Brid brings an exciting twist to the book.  Without her, the book would not be the same!  Maureen Sherry is coming to our school and I’m psyched to see her!  She is definitely one of my favorite authors to ever walk the planet!  Here are some questions that I would like to ask her:

Q1: What is your next book in the “Walls Within Walls” series going to be called?

Q2: Did you write any other books or series besides the soon to be “Walls Within Walls” series?

Q3: Who is your favorite author besides yourself?

Q4: What is your favorite book that you have written?

Q5: What is your favorite book that another author has written?

Q6: What was your favorite subject when you were a child?

Q7: What is your favorite genre?

These are some questions that I want to ask Maureen, but you may ask some if you want to.  Are you as psyched to see the author as I am?  Please write back if you have any comments or questions about the article I just wrote=http://!J

~GB

Article posted April 1, 2011 at 02:40 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

HI! I can't wait for the reading olmpics!  I saw my brother do it and it was really cool!  The award ceromony was awesome!  I hope we get a blue ribbon!

Article posted December 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

I am reading the Ghost in the Machine and it is really interesting!

Article posted December 14, 2010 at 05:07 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

I think Turtle will win the Westing game because since she was the bomber, she knows how to sneak bombs in without people seeing so she could also sneak in the apartments to look at the other pairs' clues to the Westing Game.

:) Mrs. H

Article posted November 9, 2010 at 04:58 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Dear class,
mso-effects-glow-themecolor:background1;mso-effects-glow-alpha:100.0%;

mso-effects-glow-rad:1.0pt">

I am reading the book, Daphne’s book, by Mary Downing Hahn.  I am really enjoying it so far and I’m almost finished the book.  In the book, Jessica gets paired up with the weird Daphne (who barely talks to anyone) for the write-a-book contest.  They work together even though Daphne’s been “sick” and out of school for a month. When Jessica goes over Daphne’s house, Daphne tells Jessica a terrible secret of why she doesn’t go to school anymore.  Jessica finds out that Daphne’s grandmother (who Daphne lives with) is totally crazy=http://!!!!  Daphne doesn’t want to leave her sister Hope home with the woman so she doesn’t go to school.  Later, Daphne and Jessica’s book win the contest but Daphne’s secret was revealed and she and Hope were put in the orphanage while the grandmother was taken to the hospital.  In the end, the grandmother dies.  I am still reading more but I am not finished yet=http://=http://!!
mso-effects-glow-color:white;mso-effects-glow-themecolor:background1;

mso-effects-glow-alpha:100.0%;mso-effects-glow-rad:1.0pt">

The strategy this week is noting detail.  Here is detail I found in my book:

My eyes filled with tears.  They splashed down on my sweater and clung to the wool like little drops of dew.
white;mso-effects-glow-themecolor:background1;mso-effects-glow-alpha:100.0%;

mso-effects-glow-rad:1.0pt">

“What happened?” Josh took a bite of his sandwich, but he still looked interested.  He might have been a scientist discovering an unknown quality in a specimen he thought he knew every thing about. 
color:blue;mso-effects-glow-color:white;mso-effects-glow-themecolor:background1;

“Well, you know Daphne and how we’ve gotten to be friends and all.”  I gulped a little from all the crying I’d been doing.

That is one of the detailed paragraphs I read.  Here is another:

Wednesday evening I was in my room doing homework when the phone rang.  Josh bellowed up the stairs that it was for me, so I put down my pencil and went to answer it. To my surprise, it was Daphne.

“I thought you didn’t have a telephone.” I said.

“I’m at the payphone at McDonald’s.”  Daphne’s voice sounded high and worried.

“You didn’t walk there, did you?  Not by yourself?”  I was horrified.  It was dark and cold outside.

It’s not far.”  She paused and I could hear a car start up and drive away.  In the background, cars roared past on Route 210.

Those paragraphs really helped me to visualize what was happening in the book.

~gb  

Article posted November 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Article posted November 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Hi!! Anything interesting???

-gb

Article posted November 2, 2010 at 02:25 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

I am reading "Deep and Dark and Dangerous" right now and it is getting exciting=http://!  Here are some stop and jots:

W- Will Ali's mom see Teresa again?(Ali and Emma call Teresa SIssy)

V- I can see Ali and Emma giving the bird a funeral 

W- Why does everyone think that Aunt Dulcie pushed Teresa off the canoe and into the lake?

Those are my stop and jots!!!

-gb

Article posted October 13, 2010 at 05:01 PM GMT-5 • comment (7) • Reads 35

Dear readers,

I am still reading the book “Tunnels”.  It is getting interesting. Right now, After will and Chester find the colony, and underground world, Will is taken back to his “real” family. He doesn’t know if they are his real family or not but he stars to live with them. Chester is currently with the Styx.  The Styx people own the colony I’m pretty sure.  Here are my strategies this week:

I visualizized a lot.  I could see something white on Wills side dish start to move and grow legs.  I also saw Cal eating the grub [the ones you find in the grass or dirt] and clear liquid oozing out of it.  I could see Mr. Jerome and Cal eating like animals. I vizualizized Chester being bored and tired after the Styx tested him. I also saw Mr. Jerome standing up for Will. I see will leave Chester with the Styx. I also saw Will chatting to his “real” grandmother. I see cal saying that when Will would try to escape the colony, Cal wanted to go to the topsoil with him. In the colony that’s underground, they call where we live topsoil.  Those are my visualizations this week.

I also wondered and predicted this week. I wonder why the colony calls where we live topsoil.  I also wonder why Cal wants to go to “topsoil” with Will. I wonder why the colony is called the colony and how they came up with that name for the underground world.  I also wonder why Cal and Mr. Jerome eat like animals.  I also wonder how Cal can eat the grub without throughing up because it’s really disgusting.  I also wonder where Dr. Burrows is. I also wonder what happened to Chester and if Will will discover him soon. I also predicted. I predict that Chester will go down to the Deeps because on the back cover of “Tunnels”, there is a picture of the next book. The title of the next book is Deeper.  That’s why I think Chester will go to the deeps. My prediction hasn’t been proven true yet because I’m not finished tunnels yet and I still have to read Deeper. I also predict that Rebecca will call the police because Will, Chester, and Dr. Burrows are still missing and Will didn’t write a note to tell Rebecca that he found a passage and went in. My prediction has been proven true because Rebecca did call the police but Will, Chester, and Dr. Burrows are nowhere to be found. Those are my predictions and wonderings this week.

The strategy of the week was finding out what new words mean by using context clues. One word that I found was the word quarrel. Quarrel means an argument or disagreement. The author stated the new word by using a synonym for it.  Another word is emancipate. Emancipate means free. The author also used a synonym again. The last word I found was impeccable.  Impeccable means perfect.  The author used antonyms this time. Those are the new words that I learned.

Those are my strategies this week=http://!!

-gb

Article posted October 10, 2010 at 05:26 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Hey,

I had a Columbus tournament in Parkwood today and yesterday.  We shut out both teams yesterday and let one goal in today. We still won though.  Then we played a championship game against another team that was undefeated today and won 4-1.  We got trophies and celebrated!!!  The scores for all the games were: 5-0, [first game] 3-0, [second game] 4-1 or 5-1, [I don't remember the score!!!] [third game] and 4-1 the championship game.  We were undefeated in the tournament=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://!!!!

-gb

WOW! GB that's awesome!!! :P Mrs. H

Article posted October 5, 2010 at 07:30 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Dear readers,

I am still reading Tunnels and it is getting very interesting.  Will’s dad, Mr. Burrows, just disappeared and nobody knows where he went.  Also Will’s parents were fighting but I don’t know if that’s the reason Dr. Burrows disappeared.  I am excited to read what comes next!!!!

I have been using a lot of strategies this week:

I have been visualizing a lot.  I could see Dr. Burrows eating a yummy shortbread cookie at Mrs. Tantrumi’s house.  He was asked a choice of gingersnap or shortbread cookies by Mrs. Tantrumi.  I also visualized dust motes floating like little diamonds when will and his dad were first digging.  I saw old cobwebs hanging from the top of the tunnel when Will and Dr. Burrows first explored the tunnel.  I also saw Will chewing on a flake of stone to see if it was limestone.  I see the dirt that wasn’t moist or damp, but dry, covering the tunnel entrance where Will and Chester [his friend] are standing.  I also saw will clutching the plate of cookies that his mom asked him to bring to the police offificer who was at their house because Dr. Burrows was missing.  These are my visualizations this week.

I have also been wondering and questioning a lot.  I wonder why Will trusts Chester to not tell anyone about the tunnel that took Will and Dr. Burrows months to dig.  I also wondered where Dr. Burrows is because one day, he went into the cellar and never came up. Also his hardhat and coat was gone. I also questioned why Dr. Burrows coat and hardhat isn’t in the cellar. I was also wondering why Dr. Burrow’s coat and hardhat was gone.  I also wonder when and where Will Chester, Rebecca, [his sister] the police officer or will’s mom will find Dr. Burrows. I wonder why will was clutching the plate of cookies his mother asked him to bring to the living room for the police officer. Those are my wonderings and questioning this week.

I have also been doing some predicting this week.  I predicted that Dr. Burrows got lost in a secret passage in the cellar because Will and Chester found a secret passage in the cellar. My prediction hasn’t been proven true yet because Will and Chester barely even went in the passage. I also predict that they will find a whole different world in the passage because on the cover, it looks as if there is a pirate and a dog or wolf in the tunnel and they seem to be in front of a new place. It is defiantly not in the cellar. Those are my predictions this week.

I also made a generalization. My generalization is that Will is brave. The facts are: 1.Will wasn’t afraid to journey a little bit into the passage way. 2. Will didn’t back down after he said he would go into the passage. 3. Will wasn’t afraid to tackle the men who were following Will and Chester.  Chester finally changed Will’s mind because he said that the men could have kidnapped Will’s father but they still had a dangerous plan. That is why Will is brave.  That is my generalization.

Those are my strategies this week so far.

-gb

Article posted October 4, 2010 at 06:19 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Dear readers,

I have a couple stop and jots for the book Tunnels:

I visualisized Dr. Burrows eating a shortbread cookie.

I wonder where Dr. Burrows[Will's dad]is because he went down in the cellar and never came up.  He wasn't down in the cellar when Will looked.

I predict that Dr. Burrows left because he had a fight with his wife.  I think he never said he was going because he didn't wan't Will to be sad. My prediction hasn't been confirmed yet.

Those are my stop and jots=http://!!!

-gb

Article posted September 30, 2010 at 07:14 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Reading is awesome=http://!!

Article posted September 30, 2010 at 06:44 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Dear class,

I am still reading Tunnels and I have a couple stop and jots.  Here they are:

Today  I wonered:  I wonder why Will trusts Chester, who he hasn't been friends with that long to not tell anyone about the tunnel that took several months to dig.

I also drew conclusions:  I drew a conclusion that since Will and Chester have both been bullied because of their skin, they became friends.  I know that kids wouln't be friends with bullies so I  am assuming that the two targets of bullies made friends because they both had the same problem.

Those are my stop and jots!!!!

See you later!!

-gb

Article posted September 29, 2010 at 03:51 PM GMT-5 • comment (8) • Reads 34

Dear readers,

I just started a new book called Tunnels.  So far it is about a boy and his dad who have been digging to find a Tunnel.  On the back, it said the dad vanishes so I am excited. 

I visualized cobwebs hanging from the top of the tunnel.

I conclude that Will and his father are in the office in the tunnel because there is a chair, desk, and a faded map of the railroad system.  I know that it is an office because most offices have desks in the room.

Those are my stop+jots1

-gb

Article posted September 28, 2010 at 04:20 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Stop + jots

I am reading the Magicians Nephew and I have some stop and jots.

I visualize a girl named Polly living in a long row of houses joined together. 

I wonder where in London Polly lives because there are many different areas in London where she could live.

I wonder why Aunt Letty won’t let Mr. Ketterley tell Digory something at meal time.

These are my stop and jots!

-gb

Article posted September 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Reading:

I am currently reading, The Kind of Friends We Used To Be which is about two girls who were friends but then they got interested in new things and started to grow apart. 

I drew conclusions while reading:[DC] I concluded that students are going home because in the text, it said, cars were streaming in the parking lot.  I know that the students are leaving because it is the end of the school day and the children need to get home.  I also concluded that Kate and Marylin want to be friends again because Kate agreed to be Marylin's campain manager.  I know that since they haven't been friends for so long and normally a really old friend probably wouln't offer.

I wondered while I was reading: I wondered why Mazie didn’t tell Marylin that she needed her speech the next day because Marylin was running for an important position in school. I also wondered why Marylin asked Kate instead of Mazie to be her campain manager. I also wondered why Ruby didn't call back when Marylin called her.

gb

Article posted September 23, 2010 at 04:59 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 34

Dear classmates,

This book, “The Old Willis Place” is about a brother and sister who died and became ghosts. They meet a girl even though making friends is against the rules. Lissa, the girl that moved near the brother and sister goes into Miss Lillian’s house with the ghost girl. They let Miss Lillian out and Miss Lillian hunts down the ghost girl and ghost boy because they were mean to her.  Read the book to find out what happens next!

-gb