UREL

Title: Living in Space (11/09/10)
Description: We investigated what it was like to live and work in orbit around Earth.

Have you ever dreamed of going into space? Do you ever wonder what living in space would be like, how would you brush your teeth, bathe, or go to the bathroom. What would you where, what would you do for work, how would you sleep. In this essay I will teach you all of these interesting things, some might be disturbing, other things might sound fun. Here we go into space “the final frontier.” In space you live on the space shuttle, the shuttle ha 2 cabins for the crew, these cabins are where the crew sleeps, eats, exercises, and keeps up with their personal hygiene. When you are in space you are weightless, so everything you do is done while you are floating around, with the exception of sleeping. While sleeping you are always strapped to something so you don't float into something while you're asleep. Sometimes you are strapped to a bunk other times you are just strapped to the wall. You may wonder what you can eat and how you eat when there is no gravity. Food in space has really come a long way, at first it was dehydrated food in packages and squeezable food in tubes. Now astronauts are able to eat many things such as brownies, fruit, steak, shrimp cocktail, chicken, and many other foods. These foods can be eaten in their normal form. All of the astronauts trash has to be put in a special trash compacter. The crew has 3 meals a day breakfast, lunch,and dinner. The international space station has an oven to heat food to the right temperature, but they don't have a refrigerator so food is preserved in other ways. How do astronauts stay clean in space? They do it in similar way as on earth, they still brush their teeth, comb their hair, bathe, and go to the bathroom. Astronauts brush their teeth and comb their hair the same way they do on earth except they are strapped to a chair. To wash their bodies they use shampoo that requires no water and doesn't need to be rinsed. If you were to walk, well float, into he shuttles bathroom it would look more like a laboratory than a bathroom. There is a rather long process to go to the bathroom, you have to strap yourself down, position yourself, and you know “go”. The toilet works like a vacuum so human waste isn't floating about the shuttle. So, after reading this little essay would you like to be an astronaut? For some who have always dreamed of being an astronaut this information doesn't change their mind, but for others having to live in space would be torture. Personally I wouldn't want to live in space, sure I would love the whole zero gravity thing for a little, but after a while I would get sick of it. I hope you enjoyed this informational essay and learned a little something about space life!

I am going to tell you about things they do in the Space Station. Like what they eat and how they sleep. How they stay smelling like a daisy, how they brush there teeth things like that.

In space they get to eat most of the food they can eat here but it can't be to crumbly. They can drink most of the same drinks too. Some of the food they can eat normally are brownies and fruit.

One of the first questions people ask is how do the go to the bathroom? They go to the bathroom by strapping them selves to the toilet. They each have a special tube for urinating.

Their hygiene, they use shampoos that don't have to be rinsed out. For brushing their teeth it is just the same as if you were on the Earth. The way they shower is that they squirt the water on to them self and then vacuum it up.

The way they sleep is that they are in a sleeping bag most of the time then they are strapped in. So they don't float around and hit other people or the equipment.

30,000 people help make it possible to launch the space shuttle into space. They have to get the orbiter ready and the main engines on the orbiter that are used for lift off only. Then the external fuel tank has to be all in one piece with no cracks or it could explode. The solid rocket boosters are used more than once so they have to be in good shape. The last thing they need to do is to get the shuttle out to the launch area.

Those are some of the things they do in the space station and how they do it. How they eat, sleep, brush their teeth, and how they stay smelling fresh.

Living in space is a real adventure. Getting to experience no gravity and getting to see the moon and planets up close. They also need to change the way they live. The way they go to the bathroom, the way they eat and sleep. Astronauts have to train to learn how to live on a space shuttle. It a real change from living on Earth. Here is some more information on living in space.

One thing that is different in space than on Earth is food. You would think it's totally different right? Well actually it's pretty much the same. The astronauts eat regular every-day things like brownies, fruit, and pastas. Space food has really changed. At one point it was all squirt able food. Gross. So the astronauts voted to make changes on every day needs, like food. Now they eat many different things like cheeses, macaroni, coffee tea, and juices. Salt and pepper is made into a liquid because if they tried to put it on there food it would just float off into the air. It would mess up equipment and get into peoples eyes which probably be painful. Women astronauts usually obtain 1,900 calories a day. Men obtain about 3,200 calories. They have regular meals like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So overall, food in space has advanced and is just like food on Earth.

Hygiene is a part of everyday living that is very important. Brushing your teeth, taking showers, going to the bathroom, shaving, brushing your hair. You need to do these things. They have special hygiene kits that have everything they need. They have shampoo that doesn't need rinsing. So you don't need to use water. Obviously that wouldn't work because of the no gravity. Another change is going to the bathroom. They have special toilets they use. Each person has a personal toilet.

Sleeping in space is a lot different then on Earth. There is no gravity, so you have to strap yourself to the ground so you don't float around when you sleep. So the astronauts could sleep anywhere if they wanted to! All they have to do is be attached to something. When you are in space, you are weightless in space. They usually sleep in sleeping bags because they don't float off. There are only four bunks in the Space Shuttle. Astronauts have regular times to go to sleep and wake up just like on Earth.

Living in space can be fun, exciting, and thrilling. You get to see the planets up close, and there's no gravity. This is all how astronauts have to change the way they live to go with the no gravity concept. Liquid salt and pepper, rinseless shampoo, and private bathrooms is very different compared to everyday life on Earth.

In space you float and soar in the dark light sky. There is no gravity so when living in space you swim around the rooms hoping you don't your head on the door way. You wash you cloths and do all the thing you would normally do. Astronauts still have to work out and exercise so that you muscles weaken. The living quarters in space are very small and astronauts all do a lot of things, like one might be eating while one is exercising and another might be sleeping. Yet the spaces could be crammed but living in space could be a lot of fun as well. When you go up into space you have to wear special clothes. You wear blue suits that are covered in coils. When an astronaut is going out into space they must wear a space suit. The suit is designed so that when your facing the sun one side of your body is hot and the other cold. So the suit is made so you can have constant heat or constant coldness on either side or your body without overheating or freezing. So depending where the astronauts are, the shuttle, space station, or on the outside of the shuttle you will have different clothing to wear. The main Idea for special cloths is for safety. One thing that astronauts need is food. There are many different foods that the astronauts can choose from. Like brownies, chicken, candy, fruit, nuts, beef, peanut butter, seafood, or even granola. There is also a wide variety of drinks that they can have as well like orange juice, lemonade, fruit punch, coffee, and even tea. The people who make sure that they have the food, know that they don't want to eat the same food and water all the time so they provide a wide variety for the astronauts to have a lot of what they like. Astronauts don't go up to space just for fun they must work. They do different experiments on different Earth items and other things. Also they do other things like launch satellites into space so the satellite can orbit Earth. Some people wouldn't think of this but the astronauts even do medical experiments in space. In the free time for fun astronauts sometimes do little experiments on toys they brought from home. So being an astronaut is a job but, they do have some free time to goof off. Normally US astronauts are up in space for months at a time and so they can't go without taking a shower. But they don't take one like you and I. They use special shampoo the was originally for hospital patients who can't get out of bed. The shampoo requires no water so they just put it in their hair and their done. They also brush their teeth and everything else we do hear on earth. When you are living in space you also have to consider sleeping. Astronauts have to strap themselves down to sleep. The sleep in sleeping bags and bunk beds that are either strapped to the wall or built into the shuttle or space station. In the videos and pictures we see when the astronauts are sleeping their arms float because their arms aren't strapped in and it looks kind of funny but strange at the same time. These facts show that when doing easy regular day things can be a lot more complicated in space.

Space the final frontier, we don't know where it begins or ends. The true American dream is to go in to space and be part of the world's history. With the technologies that we have made going into space and living in space for a extended period is possible. The DISCOVERY space craft is a space shuttle which services the Space Station delivering parts, supplies, and people. My following paragraphs cover living in Space.

Living in space, food in space is much like food on earth. Food can be sometimes eaten in natural form like brownies or fruit. Other foods need to be moisturized by adding water, there is no oven, so foods must already be made, although there is a refrigerator. Ketchup, mustard, and other condiment are available, also pepper and salt are provided but in liquid form.

Working in space, work in space usually involves the affects of gravity on people which is called the effects of micro-gravity. There is also medical experiments on living things (including people) in space. The DISCOVERY also cleans and repairs satellites. The astronauts also grow protein crystals and exercise.

Space clothes, space clothes are very important in such a hostile environment. Normal clothes are needed inside the space station, the astronauts can choose from either clothes from Russia or the U.S.A. The space suit is most important outside of the space station. The space suit consists of a in-suit drink bag, gloves, airlock adapter plate, a liquid cooling primary life support system, and much more.

Space is so long and extensive that we have not discovered a bit of it. Today we know so much more then yesterday but know so little compared to what we could learn. Now learn more about space and have fun, we all need to pitch in and discover the most extensive thing that is space.

By CRJO

“3,2,1, liftoff!” As the rocket launches, the solid rocket boosters take the gigantic machine off the ground. It is soaring in the air, using up the fuel in the main tank. It is hard to think there are living beings inside the monster that is heading off to unknown space. But liftoff is just the beginning to a long and tiring mission to space.

While living in space, the astronauts also have to keep a basic daily hygiene routine. The way they keep themselves clean is almost the same as the way we do, on Earth, but some things they do seem a little strange to us. But they have no other way, they are in space! The astronauts sometimes use a rinseless shampoo cap to wash their hair. This comes in handy because if you don't have to rinse your hair, there is no mess! These caps are also found in hospitals, and used for patients who can't take a shower. They can comb their hair normally, shave normally, and go to the bathroom a certain way. Also, people on board ship can brush their teeth normally.

When thinking of going to space, have you ever wondered what it was like to eat with no gravity? Well, with new studies, the astronauts can eat pretty much anything they want! A menu for one of the days consisted of :

Breakfast

granola w/ raisins

breakfast rolls

pears

vanilla drink

coffee

tea

Lunch

chicken strips

macaroni

rice w/ butter

apple cider

As you can see, space sure doesn't come out of a toothpaste bottle!

Working and floating and having fun in space sure makes you tired! But how do you sleep when there is no gravity? Easy. The astronauts usually sleep in sleeping bags, but they have to strap themselves to a secure surface in order to keep themselves safe in the night. Otherwise, the people would be banged around and might get seriously injured!

Now you know a lot about living in space, so are you ready to go? Be sure to bring a sleeping bag, toothbrush, and a hair brush!

http://www.picvault.info/images/537109604_liftoff.jpg

Living in space is definitely not for everyone. Astronauts have to be very patient and able to withstand tons of pressure during liftoff and landing, different from here on Earth, and the feeling of weightlessness. Astronauts live in one small space for up to 2 ½ weeks. They eat, sleep, do experiments, etc. in the same rooms. Months before the launch, astronauts choose what clothing they will wear when in space. They change clothes every 10 days and change underwear every 2 days. When launching and landing, Astronauts wear the orange suits that everyone knows of. When sleeping they sleep in a sleeping bag type thing that is strapped to the walls or floors. Their sleep hours are also normal, just like ours. Although the living may not be spectacular, the food isn't that bad either. They are able to eat brownies, fruit, spaghetti, macaroni, ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. They have salt and pepper but it is in liquid form. In the shuttle they have an oven but no refrigerator and they eat three meals a day just like us. The food used to be in squeeze tubes, like toothpaste tubes. And as you can probably tell that wasn't very appetizing. In space they have the same hygiene as on Earth. They wash their hair using rinse less shampoo, brush their hair, shave, brush their teeth, and use the bathroom. When in space the astronauts perform science experiments, assemble the international space station, and capture huge satellites. They are often fixing things and always checking their support systems and filters to make sure nothing is going wrong or will go wrong. As you can see there are lots of things that go into being an astronaut. People that are training to be an astronaut have to train for a couple years before they are even chosen to be able to go into space, so you could do all that training and not even go into space. You may think that there are only a couple people to make this work but really there are relatively 30,000 people to make sure everything goes correctly.

Astronaut Mike Foreman

Living in space is very different than living here on Earth. The biggest difference is that there is no gravity. Imagine living in a spacecraft for several days without gravity. You wouldn't be able to sleep normally, exercise normally, shower normally, or eat normally. I would personally love to go into space where there was no gravity. You would just be able to float around. It would be very fun

There are a lot of different choices of things to eat. Things like brownies and fruit can be eaten in their natural form. Things like macaroni and cheese and spaghetti you have to add water to, so you can eat them. If you want to add salt and pepper to your meal you have to eat it in liquid form. The drinks that the astronauts can choose range from coffee, tea, orange juice, fruit punch, and lemonade. There are several different food choices for an astronaut such as nuts, fruit, chicken, beef, candy, seafood, and brownies etc.

Astronauts wear different clothes for the different things that they do in space. What they wear depends on what will protect them and keep them comfortable. Astronauts change close less often than we do because there is no way for them to wash their clothes in space. But they don’t get as dirty in space as we do so there isn’t such a big need to change their clothes. They change their underwear and socks every other day and they change the shirt they wear under their work shirt every ten days. They get one pair of shorts and one shirt for every three days of exercising. Most of the dirty clothing burns up as the shuttle reenters the earth’s atmosphere.

When it comes to sleeping astronauts can sleep in any orientation but they need to attach themselves to a wall, a bunk bed, or a seat so they don’t float around and bump into something. There are only four bunks so the fifth and or sixth astronauts have to sleep in a sleeping bag attached to the wall or a chair. On the space station there are only two crew cabins so the third crewmember can sleep anywhere he or she want if it is okay with the commander.

That is what its like to eat, sleep, and what you wear in space. I would love to go into space! It would be so fun to weigh nothing and be able to float around. I would also like to be one of those people that go outside of the space shuttle or space station and work on something in space. That would be really amazing!

Article posted November 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 75

Ever wondered what it's like living in space? Well, first off, lets talk about getting into space.

When the shuttle blasts off, the astronauts feel about 3Gs of force. No, not grams, 1G is an object's weight. So now that you know that, you can understand that the astronauts feel their own weight three time more this is why they are specially trained to handle this force.

Because there is no gravity, they can only eat certain foods. They can't have bread, because it crumbles, and could get in their eyes, or the machines. They used to have food in little tooth paste like containers. Due to complaint, they have given the astronauts food in a normal forms

sleeping is a bit different in space, than on Earth. the first reason being the total lack of gravity, causing you to be able to doze off in any sleeping position. they also need to be strapped down, so they don’t float away in their sleep.

Just like being on Earth, they need to stay clean too,so NASA created a waterless shampoo. it needs to be waterless, because if they had water, it would float everywhere. this could cause a serious malfunction.

Well, maybe now you have an idea on what life is like in space. I hope this info was useful!

There is so much to learn about living in space! What I have learned is only a tidbit of what there is to learn. Well, I do know for a fact that living in space is living in a satellite that's orbiting the Earth. And I know that in order to get there you go up in a space shuttle, and go down in a Russian pod. I also know a bunch of other stuff about living in space.

One of the other things that I have learned is what the astronauts wear. For instance, their space suit is able to be used up to 25 times. And it doesn't matter what the size is because on size fits all! The space suit is very easy to clean and put on, too. The suits come with a carbon dioxide remover cartridge that is easily replaceable. They have handy dandy little fingertip heaters! No fair! And lastly, a jet pack comes with the space wear. I want that stuff so badly!

Another one of the things I have been learning about in the past week are what the astronauts in space eat. It's fascinating that they can eat just about anything they want to, like down here on Earth! The condiments like salt and pepper are in liquid form so that they aren't floating around. Other things you have to add water to make edible, while you can just plain eat other things. But one factor sometimes may be overlooked: storage. Storage is very vital to survival because the only food that gets there is the stuff on the shuttles. There are different packages for different foods, too. That is what I know about food.

Now sleeping is another story. I didn't learn too much about this, but I learned enough to understand they are strapped down in there while sleeping because of the lack of gravity. I also know that they have 2 bunk beds for 4 people. And they get 8 hours of sleep, plus, they still snore. From what I've seen on videos online, the limbs aren't strapped, so they float up in their sleep!

As I said in the beginning, this is only a small part of what there is to learn about living in space. There's the work day, the routine. I didn't learn too much about it, except that they have to excercize a ton to make up for the lack of gravity. Also, I didn't talk about hygiene! How do they take care of business? Wipe that smile off your face, even astronauts got to go sometimes. Anyway, thanks for reading and research this stuff for yourself sometime!

Living in space is a different experience and is very difficult. Here are some information about living in space. Living quarters in space are very cramped. They are about the size of an average school bus. Workers living in space eat, do experiments, and exercise in the same room. But workers in space sleep in a separate room where there are bunkbeds and sleeping bags attached to the floor and walls. So living quarters are very tight and not very roomy. Astronauts wear various types of clothing for all aspects of a mission in space. Whether preparing for launch, working inside a space shuttle or space station, working outside in space, or landing back on Earth astronauts wear the proper garments for both comfort and protection. Food in space is not the best. There are ovens in the space shuttles and space stations to heat food. But there are no refrigerators in any space stations or shuttles so the room the food is kept in has to be cooled to keep the food from spoiling. Condiments are provided such as ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. Salt and pepper are aslo provided but only in liquid form. Space food used to be horrible but now astronauts get to choose what they eat in space. Astronauts perform many tasks as they orbit Earth space in the space stations and space shuttles. Space station crew members spend their day working on experiments in space. They also take part in medical experiments to determine how well their bodies are adjusting to living with no gravity. Working in space is very interesting because of the experiments they can do with no gravity. Astronauts living and working in space have the same hygiene needs as people on Earth. They wash their hair, brush their teeth, shave, and go to the bathroom. Hygiene in space is the same as on Earth. Workers in space go to sleep after a long and hard day of work just like on Earth. But there are some differences because there is no gravity in space so they have to attach themselves to a bed, wall, or seat so they don't float around and bump into something. They also sleep in sleeping bags that are attached to walls or the floor, and they also sleep in bunkbeds that they have to attach themselves to. Sleeping in space is a lot like sleeping on Earth. Living in space is very hard to adjust to because of the weightlessness, the food in space, working in space, sleeping in space, and exercising in space. When you live in space you dont have to use your muscles so you lose body muscle if you don't workout when you are in space that's why all astronauts workout when they are in space orbiting Earth. Living in space is very difficult at times. Living in space is a unique experience that everyone dreams of.

Here are some things about Living in Space, what the food is like, their clothing, and their sleeping and living quarters.

In space the quarters are cramped you do not have a lot of room to move around. You have to exercise a lot, because in space there is no gravity so you loose bone density. There are no ups or downs, and you float since there is no gravity to hold you down like on earth. The longest time someone has lived in space is for six months.

The food in space used to be horrible, but now they have changed it. You used to have to eat the food out of a tube. Every thing was in smoothie form. They did this because they could not risk letting food getting into the electrical systems,and into an astronauts eyes or nose. No they can eat food in it's natural form, but they have to be careful. Here are some foods they eat, for breakfast they eat and drink, Granola, a breakfast roll, pears, a vanilla breakfast drink, coffee, and earl Grey tea. For lunch here are some choices, Chicken strips in salsa, Mac and cheese, Rice and butter, Macadamia nuts, and apple cider. Here are some things they can eat for dinner, Shrimp cocktail, Beef and steak, Mac and cheese, fruit cocktail, strawberry drink, and tea with lemon.

Like on earth, astronauts have to sleep, maybe just a little differently. They have to be strapped in to their bunk since there is no gravity. They either sleep in bunks or a chair. It is very cramped, and probably not that comfortable.

Once there clothing is worn as much as it can be worn, the put the clothing in disposal, and when the shuttle re-enters the earth's atmosphere the dirty clothing and other garbage burns up with the progress. In space they wear space suits, but when they are in the space station they wear normal tee shirts and shorts. On earth the total weight of just the space suit is 400 pounds, but in space it does not weigh anything, it is weightless. In space they have oxygen tanks, since there is no oxygen above our earth's atmosphere.

In space the hygiene is the same, they bathe everyday. When they take a shower, they have to vacuum up the water so it does not get in the rooms and so it does not mess up the electrical systems, like the food. They are also able to shave, brush their teeth, and use the bathroom.

These are just some things that what living in space is like.

Have you ever imagined living in space? Waking up everyday to a dark, flickery sky and going to bed strapped on a wall? How about waking up and finding the moon under your feet or eating from a tube? You would think this would be fun or boring? Living in space is very different from what you think it is and I bet when you read this you wouldn't believe it! You will read about astronauts and their daily routine of living in space. Space clothes are very different from our clothes. For example when in space, they stick their worn out clothes in a bag for disposal so when you come down to Earth your clothes will burn up with other garbage. When you first start the astronaut job you get pants and/or shorts, t-shirts, socks, and sweaters. You can also choose from Russian or USA clothing. Working in space is exciting and hard work. You would work on science experiments and you would have to monitor those you are on the ground. You would work on medical experiments that ensures maintenance and health. You would constantly check support systems, cleaning filters, and hardware. You would also send messages to people down on Earth to check and update them. Sleeping in space is very different. You would be able to sleep in any orientation, but would have to get strapped on a wall, seat, or bunk bed. You would also be in a sleeping bag. Odds are you would wake up with your arms in the air! Hygiene in space is not so different. Well if you count using rinse-less shampoo as normal. Your hygiene kit would be stuck to the wall and you would have to share a small mirror with another. Your toilet acts like a vacuum and sucks up all your remaining s. There are some similarities though. For instance you would brush your teeth regularly and shave regularly as well. Food in space is the same as hygiene. There are some similarities and differences. Some of your food can be eaten in your natural form and there is a stove, but no refrigerator. Your salt and pepper are in liquid, but you have mayo, ketchup, and mustard. You would have three meals a day containing vitamins and minerals and a certain amount of calories. Lastly your living quarters. We went through all the important stuff and now you are ready for space, but you must no the living quarters. There are two small crew cabins, big enough for one person each. When you wake up the mission control system sends music. There is a living space, sleeping space, and living room. You would also get e-mailed once a day for new missions. So good luck and thanks for reading!

Living in space is very different from living here on Earth. The biggest difference is that there is no gravity in space. Eating, clothing, and working in space can be difficult on the mission because of the loss of gravity. Astronauts have to get used to floating around, being strapped down to sleep, and having to go to the bathroom using a vacuum. In space, eating and drinking is relatively close to eating on Earth. Astronauts can eat most of their favorite foods bot with minor changes. For example, salt and pepper are in liquid form so what they would be eating would be a little bit wetter than usual. Water and things that they drink have to be adjusted, too. Many things have to be recycled so they purify their sweat and use it as water. It may seem unsanitary but it is a very practical way to get water that you can drink. While astronauts are in the space shuttle they usually wear normal outfits but with the NASA logo on them. They have no washing machine aboard the shuttle so they don't change clothes everyday. This is another way to conserve energy, time, and space. While the astronauts are on the launch pad they are wearing bright, puffy, orange space suits. The space suits protect them in case of an emergency during launch (gas leak, ice buildup, etc ). While they are working outside of the spaceship (in space) they are wearing big, puffy, white space suits that have oxygen tanks on the back of them. These suits are also designed to make the astronauts comfortable temperature wise. Space outfits are very reliable and efficient for the astronauts. Working in space is very technical. It takes years and years of training. Engineers are usually people that have the best chance to go on a space mission. While astronauts are in space they are usually repairing or building the International Space Station. Scientists are also chosen to go into space. They conduct experiments while they are up in space and then the results are used on Earth. Even medicines have been discovered in space! In conclusion, living in space is a lot different than living on Earth. Even when you go up for only short periods of time, it can be very difficult. Astronauts have to adjust to the food and the clothes and the work can be hard and challenging mostly because of the loss of gravity.

Living in space is all the fun you think it is, but you have to do a lot of experiments. Some experiments are: medical experiments, to make sure their health is okay, plant growth experiments and many more. Many tasks are preformed while orbiting Earth. Other tasks are cleaning themselves, cleaning filters in the space suits, cleaning the suits in general and last but not least, and working on the Space Station. You have to exercise. Exercising is very hard in space because there's 0 gravity. If you haven't been on Earth and where you are there's 0 gravity, you have to use those mussels somehow or another. You may ask why you would need to work out. You need to work out because if you go on Earth, using no mussels and just floating around, you going to break your legs. Another question you may ask is, how do they use there mussels in 0 gravity? It's very important to work out. Fun facts are: reading, throwing food in the air and eating it, and many, many more. A space suit is very complicated; there are many different parts to it. Some parts are, hard upper torso, which connects to the arm assemblies, and the lower torso assembly, the helmet, and many more things that protect them. As you can see with all the things above, it’s very complicated. Space is fun, difficult, and complicated but the astronauts put up with it, and I hope you now know what it’s actually like.

Space Essay

In space the astronaut have to share everything in space but their beds. A single room in space could be, a kitchen, bedroom,bathroom,living room,dining room. So if they have to eat dinner in a room then they might have to sit their and read a book or work in it. There is also no TV in space but they can talk the people on earth because they want to see how far they are In space.

In Space they eat, regular food that they would eat on Earth. Most people think that they have to eat food like powder in bag but that is not it at all. They get to eat steak and shrimp in space so they feel more at home in space that they do on Earth. A astronaut must make food for many different people or everyone on the shuttle or the ship. The food can not be very hot or very cold in space. Also their food as do them float. So if the are having shrimp and they are eating It might float around the cabin.

Sleeping in space in very difficult they must strap themselves down so that they do not float around the cabin because there is no gravity in space. When they are strapped down their arms float and they kind of look like they are upside down but they are not that is just what it is like in space with no gravity. If they did not get strapped down they would float they might brake something or even hurt themselves which would not be a very good thing to do while your many miles from home and you brake a bone.

When you are in space and you have to take a shower because hygiene is very important. You must as you would on earth take a shower! When you do this you have to take a small hose and a vacuum sort of thing and spay some water on yourself and them put some soap on them vacuum it all away. So that it does not go all over the space shuttle. The water could get onto the cabin and brake something. Also if you where having to wash your hands you would have to do the same thing as to taking a shower you would have to spray some water on your hands then take a vacuum and take the water away.

In space you have a lot of fun. But it is also work you have to exercise and stay in shape so that you can still fit into you space suit that is made just for you. Also you have to collect samples of rocks so that you may bring them back to earth and be sold for a lot of money for school so learn about and to teach students. You might be in space for a while a year or just a couple days what ever time the people on earth think that you need to be up there. Also a week before you cannot be with anyone who have to stay by yourself so that you do not get any germs that could get anyone or yourself while you are in space.                         

In Science class we have been learning how to live and sleep in space!

For a little while now in class we have been learning about what it is like in space. I have learned many interesting things that I didn't know about, and now I want to learn more. I find space very exciting. If you want to learn a little more about space that you might not have known, then read this. Food in space is just like the food we eat on Earth. Like a camping trip, you have to bring enough supplies for your stay. But, you do get to eat better in space then you think. Astronauts can choose what they want to eat. This extends from anywhere between steak, shrimp, lobster, brownies, anything that an astronaut might desire. There is an oven provide on the space craft so you can cook or heat something up. Nutritionists on Earth make sure that the astronauts are staying healthy and making sure they eat enough and also they make sure that they don't eat to much. You see, eating in space is like eating on Earth except in space it is much more fun to play around with your food. The astronauts on the shuttle have living quarters where they eat, sleep, exercise, and relax. It is a very small and cramped part of the shuttle. When they sleep they have to be strapped into a wall, seat, or bunk beds. They they are also strapped into a sleeping bag when they sleep. There are only four bunk beds so the other astronauts would have to be strapped into chairs. When you exercise you get strapped into the floor and you jog or run on a jogging machine. You wouldn't lift weights because in space everything weighs almost nothing. This area of the shuttle is probably the best area because you can relax and not do any work. We all know staying healthy is important. We have to stay in shape, stay clean, and keep a balanced diet. On the shuttle you would do most of these things exactly the same way as you would on Earth. You have to brush your teeth so your teeth don't get cavities and your gums don't get infections or diseases. You also have to wash your hands, body, and you have to shave. People shave the same as on Earth but the others are a little different. Since you can't have water floating around in the shuttle, you have to use a sponge and dab yourself or your hands if you are just washing your hands. One astronaut a while back created shampoo that you didn't have to rinse, it just soaked into your head. Of coarse you have to go to the bathroom too, each astronaut has their own tube. They get strapped into the wall and put the tube to a “provided” area and the tube sucks the air and waste out into the waste-water tank. Now that you know quite a bit about what it is like to live in space, you can teach others this information and spread the word. All of this information comes from scientists, astronauts, and anyone involved with NASA. I hope you enjoyed this and I hope I taught you many, many thing that you might not have known. Maybe someday you will want to be involved with NASA. Well, my work here is done. Bye for now!

It takes 18 minutes to get into space those are some of the longest. After detaching the rockets and fuel tanks they are are floating weightlessness in the endless black ocean of stars. Here are some of the things they do living in the Space Shuttle.

The most important thing in space besides the suits is food. At first food was something you squeezed out of a tooth paste tube. Now you can mostly eat what the natural form on earth. There is no refrigeration in space. The astronauts eat three meals a day just like on earth. Eating in space can be fun too. Since there is no gravity you can throw it and it will just float around but have to be careful because it can't hit buttons or bump anything. Even adults play with their food.

Working in space is pretty easy. can just throw your tools across the space shuttle and someone can catch it.When they work in space the mostly work at the space station. They also launch satellites and fix broken satellites. They use big arms that come out of the space shuttle to do those jobs.

Sleeping in space is so much different from sleeping on earth. when you sleep in space you are either strapped to the floor or walls of the Space Shuttle.It is like a big sleeping bag.It is pretty funny when there arms come out when they are sleeping they are floating above their heads. Where the sleeping quarters are is a very tinny space.It is in the end of where they eat and work out.

Being on the Space Shuttle can be difficult because you miss your family but also fun because you can float around like you have always dreamed of when you were a kid.When the astronauts return they sigh a sigh of relief on a successful mission and I bet they can't wait to smell the fresh air of earth.

Living in space can be very different from living down here on earth. Especially when you’re on NASA`s space shuttle, the Discovery. For one thing, your weightless in space! You get to float around doing flips and having fun right? In the space shuttle, sometimes yes, but there’s much more to being aboard the Discovery. You were sent up there for a reason, you’re on a mission to do specific things and work for NASA. With doing all this work and how different it is up in space, how is living up there? How do astronauts do the things we do down here on earth, in zero gravity? This is how.

While the astronauts are in space they have their living quarters. This includes their living room, workout room, and living space all in one. On the space station there are two crew cabins, each big enough for 1 person. The third person on the space station can sleep anywhere, as long as they are strapped down. In space the amount of room you have is limited. Because the shuttle is not the biggest thing in the world, or space, the chambers are small and spaces can be tight

Although there is zero gravity in space, the astronauts in the space station or shuttle eat the same things we do, well… almost. Some things like salt and pepper are liquidized in order to keep it from floating around the cabin, getting stuck in filters and other harmful places. The space food used to be things squeezed out of toothpaste tubes, but now there are many different choices of what the astronauts can eat like fruits, nuts, peanut butter, chicken, beef, seafood, candy, and brownies. Drinks consist of coffee, tea, orange juice, fruit punch, and lemonade. Now that the people that are in space can eat more similar things to people on earth, the astronauts are very happy.

Like I said before, when you`re sent into space on the shuttle you were sent up for a reason. You were sent to complete a mission and do other work to help benefit our knowledge and NASA`s research. One thing astronauts do when they are in space is capturing/releasing satellites. They do this with a mechanical arm and the satellites also do scientific research while orbiting the earth. Aboard the shuttle the astronauts are constantly working to change filters, updating computer equipment, and doing medical experiments to determine how well their bodies are doing with the zero gravity environment. Being on the shuttle or on the space station means constant working so being an astronaut is not all fun and play

Although there are some similarities, being in space is a lot different than being down here on earth. Being an astronaut requires tons of training and knowledge, not to mention once you`re in space the amount of work is very great. Over all, the men and women aboard the Discovery and Space Station are benefiting our country in a huge way 24/7.

Space. The final frontier. The last undiscovered realm. Many have ventured into its depths. What lies beyond the eternity of mystery? Why do we care so much about the abyss of space? We've all seen pictures, but do what you probably don't know is that there are 30,000 people who make explorations like the space shuttle happen. One type of them is astronauts. We all think: “wow, they're so cool with their suits and helmets,” but do you really know how their life is behind the scenes?

The astronauts have a very small living space. There are two small rooms called crew cabins, each just big enough for one person. They all eat, sleep, exercise, and work in one room. They sleep in sleeping bags tied to the wall. Also, they can sleep in one of four bunk beds or the pilot's or commander's seat. Astronauts get about eight hours of sleep each night. When it is time for them to wake up, Mission Control plays different songs to each astronaut. Family members or loved ones are permitted to request songs.

At the space station, astronauts wear shirts and shorts. On average, they get new clothes every ten days . Also, they get two sweatshirts. The astronauts use rinse-less shampoo, and have to pee into vacuums-like tubes. Each astronaut has their own tube. They have to dry themselves as they wash, so as not to release water into the shuttle.

Aside from having fun with micro-gravity, there is a lot of work to do in space. The astronauts install and repair telescopes, satellites, and robots. They also work on improving the space station and take pictures. The astronauts must work out in space. If they don't, they will get fat and their bones will get weak. They don't walk around much, so they don't use much energy.

The space food has gotten much better over the years. All of their food used to come out of toothpaste tubes, but now they can eat things such as brownies and fruit. Macaroni and spaghetti need to have water added. There is no refrigerator, but an over is provided. The astronauts can have salt and pepper in liquid form. Condiments such as mustard and mayo are permitted. They eat three meals a day.

Now you know all about life as an astronauts. Maybe you want to be one when you grow up? Maybe you want to help build a space shuttle? Remember that astronauts don't do all the work, there are so many people behind the scenes that make it happen.

Living in Space

Life in Space involves great experience! You have to go through about 1,000 days of training to be an astronaut! You must know about living, space clothing, food, working, hygiene, and sleeping in space!

Living in space inside the space shuttle it often times smells like fuels, this is because of all the fuels that make the engine in the space shuttle run. Astronauts usually say it is very hard to live in space because of the small area you have to move in. Astronauts also say it is very cool to be in space because when you look out the window all you see is the Earth you live on.

Space clothing is very important in space. Usually they use Russian or U.S clothing supplies. They only get to bring 1 pair of shorts, 2 sweaters, 2 shirts, and 1 pair of pants. They only get to change every 10 days! The space suits that they must where weigh up to 400 pounds here on Earth, but in space they weigh nothing!

Food in space is also very important! When they first built space shuttle's the astronauts had to eat and drink of of long tubes, well every thing but fruit and brownies. Now they have special ecquipment that they use to eat and drink! A n oven is provived on the space shuttle now, so are condiments. Liqued is drank out of a tube.

It is hard work to work in a space shuttle! One person observes space and Earth inside of the shuttle while the others do the rest of the work, such as grahping, and organizing data. Sometimes the astronauts get a break to relax and play around in the shuttle.

Hygiene is one of the most important things to have while on a space shuttle. Expessialy when you are in space with nogravity as long as up to 6 months! The people in the space shuttle have the same hygiene as people on Earth. While the astronauts are in the space shuttle they must still work out because if they dont then they will loose hygiene! The astronauts wash their hair, brush their teeth, shave, and go to the bathroom just as they would on Earth! But showering they don't do as often as they would on Earth.

Astronauts go to bed just as people on Earth. When they go to bed at night they are attached to a the walls in their sleeping bags.

And that is Life in space for astronauts in a space shuttle!

Mike Foreman

Living in space is much different than on earth. They are all humans though and have the same need as on earth. The life styles are different like you don't change clothes as much in space as you do on earth. In space you get 2 sweaters one pair of socks for when your feet get cold. One t-shirt, pair of shorts, and 2 pairs of shoes. They get new clothes for most things every 10 days some clothes only get replenished every month. They don't have to change clothes as much as we do because there is no dirt from the outside. Living in space is also very hard because liquid water is scarce and must be preserved. Another factor is that there is limited air, and what little little air they do have it is used by everyone. Sleeping in space is like earth you work during the day and sleep during the night. The most difference about sleeping in space compared to on earth is that there is no gravity so you have to strapped down to your bed or to the wall. Food in space is just like on earth but you can't have any foods with crumbs. Like salt and pepper because there is no gravity the crumbs could float into something important in the space craft. Just like on Earth they have three meals and they have meals balanced with minerals and vitamins. In space just like on earth you have hygiene you have to take showers. But in space you can't have a running water shower you have sponge yourself down with water on yourself then immediately vacuum it off. In space you have many jobs in which includes repairing satellites and conducting experiments. Also mission specialists have special jobs that they are assigned for the mission. Though space shuttles are designed with only enough supplies for 2.5 weeks so they have to work fast. Astronauts train for years for space so they have to be perfect because they usually only have one shot at the mission. As you can see life on space is very different then on earth but not everything about it life is life and as our interests in outer space grows so will our need to be in space more often.

Living in space is an adventure but there are also some consequences. Most astronauts live in a space quarters and there is not much room to move around, not counting the fact that there is no gravity and you float everywhere! Also you have to make sure everything is working right. The longest time you would be in space to orbit the moon would be six months.

Now you are probably wondering what would you eat when your in space anything? Well in any circumstance you are going to eat, And you usually eat the same things you would eat here on earth. In space you can't have crumbs no crumbs allowed! But you can have many other things like, mac and cheese, shrimp cocktail, beef, steak, rice, tea, pears, and many more. When they first used to go to space they would eat food out of something like toothpaste tube. Yuck! Can you imagine that! Luckily things have changed.

Aside from eating what about sleeping. In space you usually sleep in cramped beds or sleeping bags that strap you in. Sometimes your hands float up in the air and you really can't help it. It doesn’t sound very comfortable but there is no gravity and you have to sleep.

When you wake up in the morning what do you do? Well after a good nights sleep its time to go to work. In space there is a lot of work to do. Astronauts do many experiments. Their goal this mission(mission STS 133) is to bring there man-like robot to the space station. The robot is supposed to control the space station until later missions. Any way there is other things to do in space like maintenance, monitors, health, and much more!

Well as you see space is a real adventure no gravity, The Moon, weightlessness, and everything else! Also its a challenge the work and begging cramped so its a hard place to be. But in the end you are as happy as ever. So Now you know that to live in space is a hard but very fun job!

“SPACE, THE FINIAL FRONTiER.” To go up in space is almost every child’s dream. Throughout the decades we have uncovered more and more of this massive mystery but we haven't even scratched the surface. Recently in time we have been sending maned space flights into space to a International space station. This is a research facility that conducts experiments on the outsides of space. We have come upon many problems through out this process. One of those challenges is trying to live a normal day life. People do it, and how they do it is actually quiet fascinating. When we send people up in the sky with a rocket they are in a straight shot to the station. Once they or docked and in the station life begins. Living quarters in the station are usually a little cramped, but cozy. Beds are of normal twin size. There is no real temperature in the station so it is usually at a room temperature. The work that is done in space usually consists of, completing experiments of all sorts, repairing and placing new satellites and different things are tested in the vacuum of space. After a long day of work people usually like to settle down and relax right? Well in the Space Station they do just that. Astronauts eat 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is delicious, so they say. This is a big improvement from earlier space travel where the food was fit into tooth paste tubes. This was the way people ate until people started complaining about it and the means finely changed. Breakfast usually looks some thing like granola or pears and a vanilla drink. Lunch consists of macaroni and cheese or maybe chicken strips with apple cider. Last but not least dinner is usually is beef, steak and fruit with some water. Before starting a day or ending one people must take care of personal hygiene. This is a big challenge for them because of zero gravity. They do do it though. First of all showers are probably most important. Astronauts take showers by using a water jet and using a suction vacuum like thing to suck up all the water before it starts to float around the cabin and cause problems. Going to the bathroom uses a similar technique, they also use a vacuum to suck up the waste and deposit into a tank. Exercising is also key to living in space because your bones lose calcium when out of our atmosphere. So most strap to a treadmill and run. Well know that you have heard the daily life of an astronaut, do you think you could be one? Men and women must adapt to these strange new habits lot always with ease but they do and it makes working in space a whole lot more comfortable.

Space, the goal of all nations of our time. The Apollo missions put us on the moon, the Soviets' put man in space, to show that we can live there. The space station shows we can build and make space a home. The living quarters in space have all essential living items for human life but there is now gravity. It rather small and you need to exercise every day in order to keep your bones from shrinking.

You also can't just open the door and walk out you have to put on a suit. And go through airlock doors.

The food in space is anything the astronaut want (that doesn’t make them sick) so stake or fish. The old food was like a mush that had to be squirted out of a tooth-paste like tube, yumm. One of the main reasons NASA changed this was because a bunch of astronauts got together and said they had to change somethings, such as the food and there where no windows in the earlier spacecrafts.

To sleep is very interesting, You attach yourself to a wall inside a cocoon life bag. The sleeping hours are the same as Huston, where mission control is. When they go to sleep the ground takes over and operates everything by electronics.

Space is a new playground and we are just starting to play. Hopefully Discovery will take off and another crew will enter space.

Living in space is a little like living on earth but you are floating in the air. The space living quarters are like waking up and every morning you have to exercise,sleep and eat and go to the bathroom. But for half of the time you don't sleep because you have to be awake to work.

Now Space Food, there are lots of space food that they have there is like shrimp,stake,oranges,mac and cheese,pears,strawberry drinks,tea with sugar but they don't have water! I would bring water. But a another thing that they have is tea with sugar I could serve with that.

They also have to work in space. They have to work in space because your bones get really week from floating in the air that you don't have to use your legs to walk and then your bones will be week and that is not good for you when you get back to earth then you can get really week and you will have to be in a weal chair. From not exercising in space.

Now we are at Hygiene. When they are taking a shower they have to be strapped to the wall so that way they won't be floating in the air. When they are brushing there teeth they have to be strapped to the floor to and when you are going to the bathroom.

When you are sleeping you have to be strapped to the bed so that way you won't be floating in the air but also your hands will be floating in the air from the no gravity so you will be asleep and then you will awake up and your hands will be floating in the air.

They also have big and puffy white suits that are really heavy suits but they aren't that heavy in space because there is no gravity.

So if you ever want to go up in space you need to get a good night sleep and work out a lot so that way you are ready for space and the travel.

From

NRRI

Living in space is a big adjustment from living on Earth, from zero gravity to the way astronauts take showers. The area where the astronauts live is very small, with 3-7 people in every mission, so it’s crammed in their! In the living quarters there's no gravity, so the astronauts just float around carelessly. When they come back to Earth it takes a while to get used to because they do not have to use their muscles in space. As you can imagine, astronauts need a break at times, so even though they work hard they get the weekends off of work too! While in space astronauts have a big agenda of work. They do things like perform science experiments, release and take back satellites, and help assemble the space station. Astronauts also work on making medicines for humans, as some of the medicines we use were made in space! Before the International Space Station existed people could only stay in space for a few weeks, as the space shuttle cannot stay in space for longer than that. The astronauts work very hard in space, but also they must sleep! Astronauts can sleep in any direction because there is no up or down, but they must be tied in while they are sleeping so that they don't bump into something. One thing remains the same in space, people get hungry! Astronauts eat three meals a day, just like on Earth. Some foods are eaten normally, while other foods you have to add water. An oven is provided in space, but there is no refrigerator so food must be prepared properly. Food in space comes in packages just like Earth, and the packages help to keep it from floating away. Food amounts needed in space are similar to Earth; a small woman 1,900 calories a day, and a large man about 3,200 calories per day. Clothing that the astronauts will wear in space is chosen months in advance. In the space station clothing is worn for about 10 days before it is changed, or 3 days of exercise. In the space shuttle, clothes are changed daily. Outside of the space shuttle or rocket, astronauts wear space suits. The clothes that are worn in space get burnt when the rocket reenters the atmosphere. Taking care of your personal hygiene in space is very different than on Earth. Showering is done by using rinse less shampoo. The astronauts are allowed to bring their own products that they prefer to use, like toothpaste, shaving cream etc. When astronauts need to go to the bathroom they must be tied to the toilet, which has a vacuum to suck in the waste. Even though astronauts in space, they still get time to relax and do what they want too. The astronauts in space get weekends off just like on Earth. They can look out the window at Earth below, play games, watch movies, or talk to their families on Earth. In addition time is scheduled for astronauts to exercise in space too! Living in space would definitely take a while to get used to, but everything is planned out to astronauts get what they need!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in space? What things are the same as on Earth and what things are different? No one except the astronauts and other crew members really know exactly, but there is some basic information we know. Living in space can be fun, but it is also a lot of work. In space there is zero gravity so the astronauts and crew members have to get used to it. The living area in space is very tight, especially when everyone is floating around. The main parts of a space shuttle are the crew cabin, the cargo bay and the main engines. In space you have a very limited amount of clothing that you can bring with you. Crew members get to choose the shirts, shorts and pants they wear. They also get to choose from Russian or U.S. clothing supplies. There aren't any washing machines in space so the crew does not change their clothing very often. On average each crew member gets one pair of shorts or pants and three shirts for every three days of exercising, but they only change socks and underwear every other day. The crew members are allowed two sweaters and running shoes also. When clothes get worn out they dispose of them. Food in space is very different from food on Earth although some things are the same. Some foods can be eaten in natural form in space such as brownies and fruit. Other foods such as macaroni and cheese or spaghetti require adding water. There aren't any refrigerators in space but there are ovens. Condiments are provided but only in liquid form. Like on Earth the crew members and astronauts have three meals a day. If you're wondering, astronauts and other crew members do have fun in space. Some things they do for fun include looking out the window at the black sky, watching movies or reading books. They also play cards, talk to family and play other games. To stay in shape the crew members work out on the treadmill and exercise bike. Most of all the astronauts and crew member enjoy relaxing. Living in space is a lot to get used to but the overall experience is worth it. The astronauts and other crew members have a big responsibility to take on. I hope that you now know what it is like to live in space. Think about how happy you are to be home after a long trip, and then think about how the must astronauts feel.

Have you ever thought of living in space? Well if you have you have to learn a lot. Some of the things might be: space clothes, food, working in space, hygiene, and sleep. Well they all have a story behind them and if you are going into space you will need to know.

When your in space you were clothing just like you would on earth. You can wear pants, shorts, t-shirt, and other clothing, it doesn't make a different except if you are space walking you were your suit. The clothing that you were in space is either made by the Russians or the Americans. When you are in space there is no washing your clothes. That is why space clothing is very important.

What I think the biggest thing in space is sleeping. When you are sleeping you are attached to a bunk. It is just like wearing a seat belt to bed, it is like that because there is no gravity in space so if you didn't attach your self to the bunk you would just float up. When you wake up, hygiene is very important, when you are in space. You can do exactly the same, you can; shower, go to the bathroom, shave, and brush your teeth. Just as earth you need a lot of sleep and in space you might need more.

In space the food is not very different than earth's food. Some of the food you eat in space comes in packets. The food is very dry, whenever you eat spaghetti you have to add water to it, then the food will become edible. But other foods like fruit and brownies you can just eat because it is already made. The condiments have to be in liquid form, ketchup, mustard, mayo, and other things like that. You have 3 meals a day just like earth. So as you can see astronauts do not go hungry.

It might be difficult to transfer from earth to space. Even though it might be very different, it is a life experience. After all that is what astronauts are trained for.

LIVING IN THE SPACE STATION

Living in space can be fun and not so fun deping on wut you the think.How would you like living in 0 Gravity and having to bring a vacum in the shower or smelling Bad stinkey air and being cumbind in a small rum with 7 other people.

Working in space for the astrunats and or sciencetist there are facilities where the can perform science experments. They can make medical experiments. Work on space stashan for an exampel clean air filters.

Living in space – quarters Living in space is note as easy as it seems it can be hard to sleep there are many problems,[ stuffe gong roung ] and  you have to work out a lot more because you lose a lot of mosul because theres no gravity.

Sleeping in in space probably takes some time to get used to since there is no up and down and no gravity. You strap yourself into the flour or wall so you won't float around.  FASTSAT launches from Kodiak, Alaska.

The living quarters in a space shuttle is about the size of a small kitchen. It is very small and cramped, it also has machines. The living area is just like a small hotel room living room,but it has about 7-8 people in one place. There are exercise machines so they can exercise while still in space. They all eat in the living quarters and when they want something then they have it thrown to them by someone else (usually), it is very fun to watch on video.

Hygiene is almost the same as here on earth exept it is a little different. Brushing your teeth is the same as on earth. shampooing is a little different you just use non rinse shampoo. Taking a shower is a lot different you have to use a sponge.

Some people ask how you use the toilet in space. the answer to the question is you strap in your legs and your waist. as you "go" then your waste is sucked practically into a vacuum. Why do you have to do this because your fluids do not just shoot down they float and so do your solids. That is the answer to how do you go to the bathroom in space.

hellping your curiousity,

PHLA

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in space like astronauts? Well it's really cool and interesting to learn about. They do all of the things that we do on earth but their floating while they do it! Some things that I am going to tell you about are the clothing that they use, the food that they eat, the work that they do and, the way that they sleep. Well here it goes!

First, I am going to tell you about the clothes that the astronauts wear. They choose what they want to wear in space months before the launch so that they can be prepared for it ahead of time. Also you choose from Russian or American clothing supplies to wear while you in space. You can wear anything you want so that your very comfortable in the shuttle. You can wear anything from T-shirts to running shoes to thick sweatpants as long as your comfy!

Second, I am going to tell you about what astronauts eat while their in space. They can eat some foods in natural form such as brownies or fruit. But some foods need water such as macaroni and cheese or spaghetti. In the shuttle there are ovens to heat the food but their are no refrigerators. Condiments like mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise are provided. Certain things such as salt and pepper come in liquid form. The astronauts eat three meals a day just like everyone else, and they can choose from a variety of different foods to eat.

Third, I am going to tell you about what kind of work astronauts do while they're in space. They do science experiments in space. Also they do medical experiments to determine how well their bodies adjust to no gravity for long periods of time. The astronauts have to clean the filters, update the computer equipment, update the support systems, and insure that their largest investment stays in good shape, ensuring the maintenance and health of the platform.

Fourth and lastly I'm going to tell you about the way that the astronauts sleep in space. In outer space there is no up or down so they can sleep in whatever position they want but they have to be strapped to a wall, seat, or bunk-bed. They strap themselves to things so that they don't float all over the cabin that they are sleeping in. The astronauts usually sleep in sleeping bags, either on the bunk beds or the commander's/pilot's chairs. There are only four bunk beds so someone has to strap themselves to something.

All of these things that I have told you about are very important to know about astronauts and how they live in space. It makes you wonder about how your body would react to no gravity for long periods of time, or if you would like space food, or what having no up or down would be like. It is probably the coolest sensation to feel no gravity, and someday maybe you will feel that very sensation while your up in space.

The countdown is always the most nerve racking part. People always wonder if they'll make it or not. Did you ever wonder what it is like to go up into a spaceship and live in space? Living in space has many requirements. There is a lot of work that each astronaut has to do on board the space ship, but there are also a lot of fun activities that the crew members can do during their free time. A few important things that you might like to know about living in space are space clothes, sleeping, hygiene, food, and living quarters. Here are a few interesting facts about the NASA astronauts. First you should know about about the living quarters. Cabins are very tight on both the space station and the shuttle. There are 2 crew cabins that are usually used for a lot of things including eating, sleeping, working, and exercising. Its a lot to do in just one small room. When the crew members are moving throughout the cabins, the must be very careful to go slowly because there is no gravity, so they could easily hit something. Weightlessness is another thing the astronauts have to get used to. Another thing that you should know about is eating and sleeping in space. When it comes to food,there is a wide variety of selections. Most foods can be eaten naturally like fruits and brownies. But some other food require adding water like pasta or mac and cheese. Food must be stored properly and it can also be heated. Things like salt and pepper have to be put into liquid form or else it will float away. Just like here on earth, they eat three meals a day at the same time. Sleeping in space can be complicated. Since there is no gravity, the crew members have to strpa themselves to a wall, seat, or bunk so they dont hit something where they're sleeping. They sleep in sleeping bags to keep warm. There are many things to know about living in space. To learn more about living in space, you can read more blogs or visit the NASA website! Cupola

Space has no gravity. So living in space is difficult because you float everywhere. You need to be hooked up if you want to stay in one place. You can do regular things in space that you do on Earth, but they are done a little differently. Foods are prepared on Earth and heated in the oven on the shuttle. When astronauts eat they have a tray that they can attach to their lap or the wall. The tray holds the for so it doesn’t float in to the air they eat brownies, macaronis, fruit.

Article posted November 15, 2010 at 03:14 AM GMT • comment • Reads 65

I write this blog entry because I want to share what I know about what its like to live in space.

The living quarters in space include four bunk beds, but if that isn't enough people can also sleep in the cockpit. Although sleeping in the cockpit can be hard because the sun rises every ninety minutes. On the ISS (International Space Station) Anyone can sleep anywhere along as they're tied down. On the shuttle, there is wake up music, on the ISS there is not.

When going to the ISS, astronauts can choose to wear a Russian space suit or an American space suit. There is also the option to get thick or thin Russian Caravals.

The Hygiene in space is the same as on earth, just using different methods because of zerogravity. Did you know that toothpaste containers are the product of the "Space Race".

Eating in space is close to the same as eating on earth. There is a refrigerator, just no oven. Also condaments are provided, but the salt and peper are in liquid form so they don't get in vents.

Working in space has gotten a lot easer because of the ISS. Some sientific discoverys in space have led to a beter insight on earth. Did you know that the Hubble Space Telescope was the most famous satellite launched? 

Ever what it's like to live in space? Ever wonder what zero gravity does to your body? Most or hopefully all of your questions will be answered.

The space shuttle is made up of 3 (really in a way 4) parts. There is the external fuel tank, the two solid rocket boosters, and the orbiter itself. The fuel the shuttle uses is liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen. The external fuel tank when it is detached heads back towards earth and incinerates in the atmosphere. The rocket boosters parachute into the ocean then get recovered so they can be used again. When the orbiter heads back though earths atmosphere it is protected by thousands up on thousands of heat proof tile and if any fall of the shuttle and its occupants will burn up in the atmosphere.

The living quarters in the shuttle is very small and they do most of everything in one room including science experiments, eating, exercise,eating,sleeping etc.

The food in space is no longer in tubes like it used to be. Now it thermal packed, air packed, and other ways so the food and drinks do not get in the controls and equipment. The only thing they can have in regular form are fruits and brownies.

To brush you teeth in space... well nothing changes there. To shower in space you squirt yourself with water then vacuum it up. To clean their hair they use a non rinse shampoo. To go the bathroom, to do your solid you strap yourself to the toilet bowl and well do it, and to do you liquid you do it into a tube and everyone has their own tube.

Inside the shuttle the clothes look like they resemble earth clothes and they change clothes every 10 days. Outside of the shuttle they wear heavy pressurized space suits that on earth way about 180 pounds. they will sometimes wear thruster packs to move around more accurately.

In space some of the research they do is world class science. They will also launch and repair satellites and to pass tools to do work they just let go of the tool and with a movement that is very slight in that direction.

To sleep in space they have to strap themselves to some thing and sleep in a sleeping back. Sometimes their arms will float in front of them which is kind of weird looking. The shuttles get wake up music while the Apollo missions used alarm clocks. The astronauts sleep 8 hours just like on Earth. What I don't get is how they get to sleep in the zero gravity.

Article posted November 9, 2010 at 02:43 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 77

Live in space can be very interesting. The astronauts do about the same as us, but in different ways, It’s pretty cool. I am going to tell you about space hygiene, food in space, and living space.

The first thing I will tell you about is space hygiene. Space hygiene is about the same as on earth but a little different. Like some people

shave, wash their teeth, and take showers. I space they do that to, but much differently. To take a shower you spray yourself with water and the suck all the water up with a vacuum before it floats away,

because there is no gravity.

The second thing I am going to tell you about is food. Food in space is not much different then earth, well it used to be very different but not any more now eating in space is about the same they can

microwave food Its like eating and home, but with out any gravity. Before that we used to eat food out of toothpaste containers cause we did not know much about space. We used to put food and put it in a

toothpaste tube, doesn’t that sound gross but that is what they did.

The third thing you should know about living space is the

living space. You and me have houses with different rooms, right? The people living in space have a small living space. They do everything in that room workout, sleep, brush teeth, shower, eat. I would rather have many rooms than one small room . This room is were they do experiments. They also working around the ship so they are no trapped in that one space the whole time they are there.

Thank you for reading my 5 paragraphs about living in space. Hope you enjoyed hearing how astronauts live in space. Did you think

this was fascinating please tell me so. Thank you again!

Living in space can be hard. You only get to change cloths every three days. You can't eat anything crumbly. Your salt and pepper needs to be in liquid form. (Think about it, you cant SPRINKLE anything in a weightless area.) Although, living in space can also be kind of fun.

When in space, you work long hours. But you also get to have some fun. Astronauts love doing flips in space and looking out the window into the endless space. Some astronauts also like to see how some earth toys work in space. On any day, space workers are aloud to watch movies, play cards, read books, and talk to families.

Have you ever wondered how space worker sleep in space? How they don't fly away? The space station has two drawers that work as bunk beds. But, sometimes there are three astronauts there. So where does the third one sleep? He/she sleeps in a sleeping bag attached to a wall. The space shuttle has five bunk beds, though, because seven people usually stay in it.

Living in a weightless environment can be a perfect place for experiments. Space workers do experiments in space involving the weightlessness. They also make medicines that can only be made in space, and do medical experiments. They also do experiments with plants to see how to make them grow stronger. Also when up in space, they work on the space station and Hubble Telescope.

Space work isn't all work and no play. It also isn't all play and no work. Working in space can be very fun and interesting, but very few get to do it.

Article posted November 7, 2004 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 59

Space Station and Space Orbiter

I am writing about life on the International Space Station and the space shuttles. Life in space is a lot like life on earth, think of it as a very long different camping trip. Things are needed, such as food, warmth, air, and a comfortable to place to sleep. All of these things are put together to make your tent or your space shuttle. On the orbiter, the name of the shuttle, there are three main components, the two rocket boosters the external tank and the orbiter itself. The orbiter is the only thing that goes up to space, both the rockets boosters and the external tank detach after they are used. The rocket booster are the smaller white rockets on the side and the external tank is big orange one attached to the orbiter. Although the external tank looks like a rocket, it is used to carry fuel for the rocket boosters and orbiter itself.

Living in space is like living on earth except that it is very compact, and you're weightless. The international space station is made up of different sections. Including, the living quarters, lab space, sleeping areas, they even have an exercise machine. But to live you have to breath, and there is no air in space. So in the space station they make their own air. They use a process called electrolysis. This is when they spilt water particles apart. By doing so they release oxygen into the space station so that the astronauts can breath freely.

Eating on the space station is like that on earth. The astronauts and their nutritionists make a calorie goal for each day but otherwise they can eat pretty much anything. When space travel first started the astronauts were limited to certain food but they now can choose from fruit, vegetables, meat, and even candy. To get there water astronauts use a machine that coverts the humidity in the space station to water.

The astronauts must also stay clean while on the space station. They can't take a regular shower due to the weightlessness, so the astronauts have to use rinseless shampoo. The astronauts also have there own personal hygiene kit that contains their certain things such as their toothpaste of choice and other things such as a shaving kit. The astronauts also have to have a place to sleep. Usually they will sleep in the bunks. But if they choose not to, they have to attach themselves to a wall, the floor, or the ceiling to avoid floating randomly around the cabin.

The astronauts spend most of their time working in and outside of the space station. The space station was made for mainly research purposes. They also use it for medical experiments to see how the astronauts body reacts with the weightlessness of space. The work on the outside of the ship is usually to fix a something, work on something, or attach something to the space station. To do so they must have the right clothing and equipment. A space suit is usually made up a helmet and visor, the astronaut's life support system, a liquid cooling garment, gloves, and the astronauts oxygen pack, and other small components that make up the space suit. When working on the outside of the ship the astronaut is attached to a cord so that he or she does not float away.

Although living in space is a little different than that on earth, most of the thing we do the astronauts do up there. From the moment the space shuttle leaves the ground to the moment it touches back down, it is an experience for the astronauts on it to remember. As our race begins to develop, we begin to think of new and more efficient ways of space travel. The United States government is begining to cut funding for space travel and will hand the responsiblities over to large companies. And even though things will change, the drive to attain more knowledge will never go away.

“Houston, we are clear for launch.” The astronauts are strapped in awaiting for there journey to begin. “Okay, clear to launch.” The control room says in fear. The fears of everything going wrong, have been blocked form their minds now. The news crew and many families gather round to see the launch. The astronauts thinking nothing but the best. “Fuel tanks on, ready for lift off.” The control room is scattered pressing many different buttons. The fuel tank makes a boom, the astronauts jerk. They are off the ground, roars off clapping and chanting fill the air, but this is not the astronauts final job many tasks follow as they change their life styles to live in the International Space Center.

Once, they arrive at the space center, different experiments and supplies for the next 6 months, are loaded on the Space Station. Supplies such as food and drinks. While living in the Space Station Astronauts are not allowed to have any water, because if the water were to be spilled, a lot of equipment would start to break. So, instead of water the Astronauts have brought along tea, milk, and/or juice. They aren't in the normal containers we all know, though. The are in air filled containers making it taste sorta empty and less liquid to the Astronauts. It gives them the urge to burp, but they can't do that because if they were to burp they would vomit.

Exercise is one of the most important things to do in Space. If you didn't exercise you would lose muscles and maybe even some bone marrow. Astronauts do not exercise the same way we do when in Space. For the treadmill, they have to be strapped down and have to move it by themselves. As for workout wear, after the journey on the Space Shuttle, astronauts can change back into normal everyday clothes.

Experiments are conducted in low gravity up in Space. Experiments such as finding new medicines and the effects on the human body are quite common on the station. Life in space is very common to life on Earth, just without gravity.

Have you ever tried floating underwater in a swimming pool? This is the closest thing you can get to experiencing weightlessness on Earth. A lot of your daily life routines would be altered if you went up in a space ship. Imagine sleeping when your arms float up and your hair floats around your face because of the lack of gravity. The astronauts have to work out everyday so their bones don't become to weak when you use them back on Earth. Some things are gross, but others are just plain awesome! The question of food has always been a question for people interested in space. Astronauts are able to eat some foods in their natural form, such as brownies and fruit. Other things like mac and cheese require adding water. In space, crumbly things are a negative, so tortillas are used for sandwiches as opposed to bread. There are ovens on a spacecraft, but there are no fridges, so the food that is brought on the flight must be stored properly. I wonder if a brownie would taste different if there was no air. I bet an astronaut could tell you! How could you take a shower in space if there is no gravity? Sponges. The astronauts take a sponge bath with distilled water from everyone's sweat and breathe (it may be distilled but I still think it's gross). Each astronaut gets to choose an assortment of hygiene items to bring on the trip. Astronauts use rinseless shampoos to wash their hair. After learning about hygiene in space, I'm not sure I want to go up their anymore. What do you do in space? Well you mostly float around, but other than that there is lots of work to do! The astronauts on the spaceship constantly check their quarters for flaws. They clean filters, update computers, and fix systems. They get daily emails on what to do each day from mission control, who monitors there progress. They do pretty much everything in the same room: eat, sleep, work and workout. Astronauts need to work out in space so when they return to Earth, their muscles and bones aren't weak from experiencing weightlessness. I personally might get bored with the same room and walls and people if I were in the spaceship. So over all, there are definitely ups and downs to being in space. I think that a lot of people would love to experience weightlessness, but others wouldn't like being cramped up in a small space. Other reasons to go in space is to learn more. I, for one am very interested in learning about the universe. But being a astronaut is certainly not the only job up for grabs when it comes to spaceships. There are so many more jobs. All those people monitoring the trip, building the capsule, planning the job that will be done, and communicating with the astronauts are all people that are hugely important in the success of the trip.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in Space? If you lived in space it would be a lot different from Earth, but some things would be the same. You wouldn't have very much room if you lived in space because they didn't make it for comfort. Also there is no gravity in space so you would be floating all the time. Food in space is different is sometimes different to! Some food can be eaten in it's natural form, but some you have to add water. The packets the food comes in are designed to be flexible, easier to use, and to maximize space in the shuttle. Some packets prevents food from floating away. The astronauts have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They have ovens in the shuttle, but they do not have refrigerators. The astronauts have to be prepared to have to fix lots of things on the space shuttle so they have to train for many years. Mission Control monitors the space station 24/ 7. They do a lot of experiments while they are in space. They also do medical experiments. Astronauts check the support systems and cleaning filters too. The experiments they do helps us understand space. Sleeping in space is very strange because there is no gravity. Most astronauts sleep in sleeping bags and the arms float in up. Because there is no gravity they have to attach themselves to the wall, a seat, or a bunk. Just like on Earth the sleep at night and wake up to start their day. Living in space you would have to make an adjustment. You have to do a lot of training. You have to eat food that may be weird. And it might be a little uncomfortable, but it's worth it!

Living in space is not imaginable to many people but few astronauts have experienced the challenges and pleasures of living in a place out of this world. Astronauts train for many years to travel to the International Space Station. Once the astronauts are in space their life becomes very different. Although they still have similar clothes (when inside the station), they still eat three meals a day, they still have work to do on the station and experiments run, they to maintain excellent hygiene and they also have to get plenty of rest from their day of work. These astronauts are able to do many day-to-day things while looking at our great blue planet.

Astronauts have various types of clothing at the space station. The crew members decide whether they want to wear Russian or U.S. clothing. They also can wear light or heavy clothing depending on how they adjust to the cold and how warm they get when working. The astronauts also don't get to change their clothing as often they do on Earth. They change their pants and shirts every few days and they change their socks every two days. The astronauts have to pack very light, they carry about three t-shirts and shorts. The astronauts also bring running shoes to exercise. There are bikes and treadmills (strapped to the floor) in the shuttle. The astronauts wear bulky space suits when they are outside the the shuttle or working on the space shuttle. Clothing is an important part of the astronauts of the missions because man would never be able to explore out of the station without.

A spaghetti and meatball dinner is a little more then just sauce, noodles and meatballs in space. Food is also a major factor of day-to-day life in space. The astronauts eat three meals a day. Their diets are based on how much the astronauts weight and if they are male or female. The astronauts get to choose their food, but must of it is in a liquid form. Most fruits and vegetables and other solid foods can be eaten in their normal form, things like mac and cheese have to have water added to them to make them edible. Condiments like mustard are only in liquid form. The food astronauts food has some changes form the food on Earth but the astronauts don't have to worry what's for dinner.

Work in space is very different than our jobs here on Earth. The astronauts don't just float around in space they have to run experiments and maintain the space station. The astronauts have to run experiments and take pictures for research of the Earth. The shuttle is designed to be in space for up to two weeks so the cabins have to be taken care of by the crew just like a crew would on a ship. The space station is like a permanent platform, it needs to be cleaned and taken care of properly. This is what occupies these astronauts days in space. Mission Control (on the ground in Houston, Texas) also helps with day-to-day assignments. Working in space will become simpler to these astronauts as their great mission goes on.

Space may be an unknown territory but it won't be for long with great minds at work. Life in space is different form our lives here on Earth, but these astronauts still work, eat normal meals and have similar clothes. The astronauts will be happy and relieved to land our great blue planet and see the ones they love, but their adventures in space working on the International Space Station, eating dry foods and wearing spacial clothing for their missions will be a very important part of their life.

Astronaut William McArthur is brushing his teeth in the middeck of Space Shuttle Atlantis during STS-74.

The space shuttle is a very cramped living space. The astronauts practically live in the same room. They eat, sleep, work, exercise, all, in the same room. But it's all for compactness when it comes to the space shuttle! Sleeping can seem strange from someone looking at it from earth, but in 0 gravity, you can sleep in any orientation! You could sleep upside-down if you wanted to! The only thing is, you have to strap in, so you don't float around. Non-perishable food is brought aboard the space shuttle. Some of which requires water, because it's DE-hydrated. Some foods include macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, cereal, etc.The whole shah-bang! The food they eat looks extremely appetizing! While in space, the astronauts do experiments, including plant growth, exercising, and so on. They also capture and repair satellites, and constantly check equipment, on both the shuttle, and the satellites. Most of the work they do is on computers, where they log stuff, and they make sure the computers are always up-to-date. Astronauts can spend a whole day of work at the computer. Hygiene on the space shuttle is the same as on earth. Except, water and stuff requires a vacuum, to keep the water from floating all over the place! So basically, they do the same things as on Earth, differently. Also, the sweat that's produced by the astronauts on the shuttle, it's collected, purified, and ready to drink again! Clothing on the space shuttle varies for different jobs. Surprisingly, they wear the same clothes as on Earth!(In the space shuttle, of course.) So not only do you get to float around, but you get to do it in shorts and a t-shirt! So life on the space shuttle, can be a lot of fun, and a real adventure, but it also requires a lot of responsibility.

Have you ever wondered what it is like living in space? How it's different and how it's the same as on Earth? Astronauts in space have many things they have to monitor and do to keep things running well. As well as on Earth, they have to keep clean, eat and do many more tasks. If something goes wrong there is only the other astronauts there to help. They work hard together to get what is needed done.

Living quarters in space are very different than on Earth. One main difference is that there is no ceiling or floor. There in no ceiling and floor because in the shuttle in space they don't need it because there is no gravity. All they do is float around and it's kind of like swimming. So astronauts can just float/swim to wherever they want to go,whether they are upside down or not. In the shuttle there is a small kitchen and dinning room where their food is kept and where they eat. There is also a small bathroom where there is a strap to hold you down. Their sleeping arrangements are completely different than on Earth. While sleeping, the astronauts are strapped into a sleeping bag so they don’t float around. Also, because they have no gravity their arms float up. So, as they are sleeping their arms are pointing upward.

Food is pretty good in space even though it's different from on Earth. Although a long time ago astronauts were complaining about how the food was bad so after time NASA changed the food. Now astronauts get to chose what they would like to have to eat. Just like on earth they have 3 meals a day and eat in the kitchen/dining room. Most of the space food is in natural form but not all. For example salt and pepper are made in a liquid form for space. The food comes in packages and has many condiments to go with it. Some of the food requires water and also there is a small oven to warm food up if needed. In space, they also have to take their daily vitamins to stay healthy.

Hygiene and clothing is also an important thing in space. If one astronaut gets sick they don’t want to risk getting all the astronauts sick. Astronauts are able to bath everyday after working. They can only use a certain amount of water and then they have to suck up the water with a small vacuum so it doesn’t float around the shuttle. Just like on Earth, they brush their hair and teeth before the beginning of the day and the end of the day. In space the astronauts have a choice of what they want to wear. In space the average clothing is shorts and a T-shirt. Every astronaut gets two sweaters. After they have wore the clothes for a few days and are very dirty they put the clothes in the space station were they are kept and then burned when they return to Earth.

Just because the astronauts are in space doesn’t mean they are not doing anything. While in space they have many tasks to complete. Astronauts conduct many experiments in space. Sometimes they go to the moon, or times they conduct experiments with the air and planets. Also they release and capture satellites in space. Astronauts are always checking filters and making sure everything is working and is safe. Also a part of there job in space is to monitor the space station at all times. In space astronauts always have to be a where of what is going on around them.

Astronauts play a huge role in space. They are the ones who discover new things in space and sometimes experiment with what they have found. They do their work and tasks throughout the day like on Earth. Now you know what it's like to live a daily life in space.

Living in space isn't always work, work, work. In space people have a lot of fun by doing things like looking out the windows is fun and also going up to the front of the space ship, looking out the cockpit, and playing with food and so on. When people in space have their snacks they eat foods like brownies, fruits, and macaroni and cheese ect... For breakfast people have granola with raisins, breakfast rolls, pears, kona coffee w/c and Sx2, earl grey tea w/sugar for breakfast. Here on Earth, we can eat whatever we want for breakfast and snacks ect... Because in space people have to be in good shape. In space they have things to keep people in shape like exercise bikes and other tools they have for working out and staying in shape. In space the clothing is really different there than here on earth. Like they have to wear the same clothing for about 10 days when they are in space even when they are dirty because they don't have washers and dryers and they don't much room for clean cloths every day. Like when we are here on earth we can wear as many pairs of cloths as we want because we have washers and dryers here and in the space shuttles where they live they are not able to have washers and dryers like we do here on earth. When people are sleeping in space they have to be strapped down. The reasons for this is because in space it is 0 gravity so the people are floating. They are strapped down because they would float around while they are sleeping and when the people are sleeping their arms are not strapped down so they were floating in what ever way they wanted to.

Living in space can be pretty hard when there's no gravity and tons of thing that can go wrong. You still have to do your regular every day things though like sleep take showers, but you also have to work because its not all fun and games. Astronauts can provide us with some pretty critical information like live-saving medicines and how the Earth is changing over the years. Astronauts can play a pretty big role in our lives!

Hygiene in space is just the same as hygiene on Earth. The astronauts brush their teeth, wash their hair, and take showers! It sounds easy right but in space it's a lot harder! You have to make sure that no water floats away and get in any of the important buttons or electrical stuff. In order to do that you have to vacuum the water of your body as you take a shower, you can't just let it pour down on you. It's not as hard to brush your hair other than its hard to keep your balance when there is no gravity. Same with brushing your teeth. It can be hard to keep up your hygiene in space!

Food in space can be pretty good. When the first people went into space the food was gross, it looked like toothpaste and you had to squeeze out of a tube. For breakfast they have a choice of a granola bar, breakfast roll, pears,a vanilla drink, or coffee. For lunch they have a choice of chicken strips and salsa, macaroni and cheese, rice with butter, macadamia nuts, or apple cider. For dinner the can have, shrimp cocktail, steak, macaroni and cheese, fruit cocktail, strawberry drink, or tea with lemon. Most of the food in space is pretty good!

Can you imagine sleeping in space! It would be uncomfortable, well I think so. You have to strap yourself into a big blue bag, so you won't fly around and hit things. Also, your hands fly up like you're reaching for cookies on a shelf. In space you can sleep upside down, sideways, vertical or anyway you want. I think that’s pretty cool.

I think it would be really fun but hard to live in space. Can you picture yourself in space discovering life saving medicines? Well that's what astronauts do for a living. Their jobs are pretty hard and if anything goes wrong that's about a billion dollars down the drain, and it possibly risks their lives. You have to be pretty tough to be an astronaut. You also have to be smart and brave!

Space the final frontier. We all know about rockets going into space but do you know what life is like in space for the astronauts. I am sure you don't. Do you know what they’re living quarters are like? Do you what their work quarters are like? Lastly do you know how they sleep? I bet not. Well you’re in luck I am going to tell you all about these things. Living in space is much different than on earth. Well for one there is no gravity so they have to be very careful. If you are not care full the whole ship could blow up. Then for all the stuff they bring up they have to strap it down. The reason is they don't want it floating around and messing up all the systems in their ship. Their living space is only one small area in the ship. Then their living space is used for sleeping working and eating. That’s a lot of stuff for such a small space. As I said before their living space is their work space. The astronauts have mini versions of everything that want to do for work. If someone wanted to work out they would they would get the machine and have it strapped to the ground and work out. If you liked science you could bring up a science kit. Also they work with medicine because only some medicine can be made in zero gravity. Sleeping in space nothing like what we do on earth. Well they do go to bed when we do but that’s really all is in common. They have these giant straps that they attach to when the sleep. All of these straps are attached to the wall so they stay done when they are sleeping. Again this is something they do because of no gravity so they dot float into something mess up the ship. As you can see space has its differences from life on earth. Life in space is a much harder than life on earth. You have to strap everything down on a space ship and on earth you can just leave everything be. Space is the final frontier. 

Living in a zero gravity world, millions of miles away from your own planet must be a really exiting but challenging adventure. In a space shuttle, even the most basic things like taking a shower and sleeping can become very complicated. I did some research to find out what it must be like to float around in a small cramped area, going 7 times as fast a bullet travels.

The clothes that you were in a space shuttle can be similar to the ones you would wear on Earth since you only have to wear a space suit if you are outside the spacecraft. One of the differences of clothes inside a space shuttle is that they don't change them nearly as much as the normal person would on Earth. This is partly because they don't go outside so they can't get very dirty. It is also partly because it is almost impossible to do laundry in space. The typical astronaut has one pair of shorts and one T-shirt for every three days. When the astronauts do go outside of the space shuttle they will wear space suits. Space suits allow them to breath in no atmospheres. If an astronaut were to wear a space suit on Earth they would weigh about 400 pounds but since they are in space, they weigh nothing.

The second thing you should know about living in space, is what they eat. Most people think that space food would be disgusting but they eat the same kind of food we eat on Earth. For example, a typical breakfast in space would consist of either granola or pears. A typical lunch might consist of chicken, mac + cheese, rice or nuts. For dinner an astronaut might eat shrimp, steak, mac + cheese or fruit. For drinks astronauts would have water, apple cider or coffee or tea. Water is stored in 90-pound containers that look like duffle bags. The Astronauts have to recycle water from the humidity in the air. When you’re in space, it is important to ration and recycle.

Sleeping In space is also challenging for the astronauts. They have to attach themselves to a wall, seat, or bunk bed so they don’t float around in their sleep. The astronauts can also sleep in the pilot’s seat. When you’re in space, it doesn’t matter what angle you sleep at so you can fall asleep standing up just as easily as if you were lying down as long as the astronauts are strapped to something. They also have to sleep in sleeping bags.

Living in space sounds hard to get used to. Living in space for a long amount of time is also hard on your body when you return to Earth. This is because you don’t have to even walk so the astronauts’ muscles get weak. They have to exercise on a treadmill so that this doesn’t happen. Imagine how weird it would be just to be able to float around in mid air. This is why Living in space must be a really exiting but challenging adventure.

Life in space can be very different from life on Earth. Because of the zero gravity environment, you have to adapt to things like showering and sleeping in zero gravity. When you go to sleep in space, you have to be strapped down or you will float around. You have to shower with a sponge, because if you showered the way you normally would on earth, the water droplets would float around the space shuttle and could be a danger by getting into the vents or in the astronauts' eyes. Those are only a few things that are different in space, some hazardous and some can be very fun. In zero gravity, you cannot walk around; you have to pull yourself through the air. Since there is no oxygen in space, there is no friction and therefore nothing to stop you when you are moving until you hit something. Food in space has to be made differently then on Earth. Even though space food has evolved since small, dehydrated fruit, there are still many meals that have to be eaten differently in space. For example, salt and pepper particles could easily get in an astronaut's eyes, and so they use a liquid form of such condiments. Most space food is nonperishable, and a lot of it is things like dehydrated fruit. But some foods, like meat, can be eaten naturally with out any special storage in space. Astronauts eat 3 required meals in space, and there is a designated room for preparing and eating food. All of the food comes in packages that might be marked “shrimp cocktail” or “pineapple”. Astronauts eat tortillas instead of bread, because tortillas have a lot less crumbs, and crumbs are like salt and pepper and would float around the cabin. There is lots of work to be done when you're in space. There are a lot of science experiments to be done in space, to see how the microgravity environment affects different types of objects. Space shuttles are also designed to be able to catch satellites and hold them so that the astronauts can repair them. A lot of the science experiments are on humans. Astronauts are tested on how they react to different things in zero gravity, and ways to be efficient in zero gravity are discovered. Space stations are made to be permanent environments, and therefore have a lot more equipment than space shuttles. Living quarters must be designed differently in space. The astronauts have to work out every day to keep their muscles and bones strong, because no exercise is necessary in space and would affect them when they returned to Earth. Working out is also twice as hard, because they have to be tied down to things like treadmills and cycles. Space shuttles have 4 bunks in them, and the rest of the crew has to sleep in strapped down sleeping bags. Water in space is recycled from sweat and other things in space. There is also a designated room for eating, so that the food doesn’t get everywhere. All in all, space is very different from Earth’s environment. I mean, imagine if Earth had no gravity! Our life might be very similar to that of an astronaut’s. Supplies in space are limited and there also needs to be room to bring satellite parts and experiment items. Space can be very dangerous, but it is also a lot of fun!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you went to space? Have you thought how fun it would be? Because if you have you are wrong it is not all fun and games. You don't just get picked to go in space. You have to pass a lot of tests and you have to meet the requirements they have for you. It is a lot of work. Once you get in space it gets easier. It is pretty much the same to living on earth but some of it is not.

Living in space is almost like living on earth. For example you still have to take showers although it might be a little different. You have to vacuum the water out when your done. You also have to eat (of course) and work on the rocket and you have to sleep. This might be funny but you also have to do your laundry. Your not getting out of it up there. But most importantly you have to have fun.(And make sure you complete you mission.

Eating in space is really the most like Earth. You can get all you normal food because you get a oven (but you could probably just heat it up by sticking it outside facing the sun). You also have a fridge to keep your food cold. Astronauts are probably thankful for this because they used to get their food out of a tube! Do you want to here something else interesting? When you use salt and pepper you have to eat it in liquid form! So eating in space is not exactly like earth but it is better then nothing.

It seems like sleeping in space would be really fun. Because there is no gravity so there is no upside down or normal. So astronauts could just buckle themselves to a wall in their sleeping bags and be sleep fine. The only bad part is that the excitement of space can mess up your sleeping pattern.

So maybe living in space is not what you expected or maybe it is. But know you know a little bit more about space then you did before.

LIVING IN SPACE

Once the astronauts lift off of Earth, they are on their own. They have to maintain the shuttle and do regular things like eating in space, working in space, and overall living in space. To do these things you would think that it would be easy but with new challenges like weightlessness, you would be surprised by what they have to do to do normal stuff.

The astronauts have to do chores such as cooking, cleaning, and even taking the trash out. They live in one very, tiny spot and that spot is for sleeping, eating, exercising, working, and taking good care of their personal hygiene. When they sleep they have to be strapped into basically a sleeping bag. They sleep that way so they will not float around and bump anything that might cause malfunction in the shuttle. That would not be good......... at all.

all the members of flight STS 133 they each have one pair of shorts, one t-shirt for excersing, one pair of running shoes, one pair of work pants and a work t-shirt. Each of the seven members were that and that only, they have to make those clothes last for ten days. During launch and entry the crew wears helmets, communications caps, pressure garment, anti-exposure, anti-gravity suit, gloves, and boots. Crew clothes are made for typically men, but sometimes women. It is made for about 95% of men and 5% for women.

In the space shuttle they have an oven to heat their foods such as macaroni, but for other foods like brownies or fruit they do not have to prepare it. The astronaut food used to be in bags and not very tasty but now they can cook things and have better and more fulfilling meals. There are no refeirigerators in the shuttle so they have to make sure nothing they bring will spoil fast. Astronauts have to eat three meals a day because the nutrisionists have to make sure the astronauts are always well and fully energized. Astronauts can choose from fruits, nuts, peanut butter, chicken, beef, seafood, candy, brownies, coffee, tea, orange juice, fruit punches and lemonade. Astronauts can only have certaqin amount of calorie intake per day though. A small woman would have to take 1,900 calories a day while a large man would have to take in 3,200 calories a day.

When you are in space you still have the same hygiene needs as you would on Earth, the astronauts still have to take showers, brush their teeth,brush their hair, shave, and go to the bathroom. When they take showers they use rinsless soaps because they cannot use water sinse it would just float around. Each of the astronauts have their own hygiene box with their tooth brush, hair comb, and their rinseless shampoo, which was originally invented for hospital patients who could not move. To go to the bathroom the astronauts have to sit on the toilet and strap their legs and thieghs in leg restraints so they won;t float around. The toilet acts like a vacuum and sucks all the bad gross stuff away into a water waste tank.

Living in space can be very different from living on Earth. It sure looks fun to fly everywhere in a space shuttle, but when you think about, How am I gonna take a shower, if there is no gravity? How do I eat if there is no gravity? Well people invented special packages, showers, beds and many other things people need in everyday life.

People had to keep themselves clean. The astronauts recycled their sweat to take showers. They used rinseless shampoo their shampoo their hair. People also had to go to the bathroom ,and their toilet was very different from the toilet on Earth. The toilet basically works like a vacuum cleaner, with fans that suck air and waste into the commode. People brush their teeth the same way we do on Earth.

After a long day of work, the astronauts had to get a good night of sleep. In the space station there is two small crew cabins that are large enough for one person each. There is one sleeping bag and a window to look outside in each cabin. If they were more than 2 or 3 astronauts, the others would just take a sleeping bag and attach it to the walls or the floor, so they wouldn't bump something while they're sleeping.

The astronauts also had to eat. Some of their food could be eaten in their original form some of them had to add water to it. Nutritionists provided healthy meals for all the astronauts. The astronauts could also add condiments to their food they had ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. They had salt and pepper available but only in liquid forms. The salt and pepper couldn't be sprinkled because it would just float away. If they were in normal form they would contaminate equipment or get stuck in the astronauts eyes, nose or mouth.

So as you can see living in space can have a few things in common with living on Earth. But as you can it is still very different from what we're used to. The astronauts followed some special tests, practice to be able to live in space for a certain time.

NASA astronauts are very important people; They train hard to get themselves into space for only a little over a week. Ordinary things they do in the shuttles are different form how we do them on Earth.

A day for the astronauts starts out by waking up, as we all do. Then they would prep their work for the day, then it's time for some healthy exercise; micro gravity causes the body to relax and become soft, so extra exercise is always needed. Then it's time for lunch. After lunch, it's more exercise then it's back to work, then it's time to head back to sleep and get ready for another busy day.

Hygiene in space is very similar to hygiene on Earth; they still have to brush their teeth, take showers and go to the bathroom. However, these things have to be done a little bit differently due to the weightless environment. When taking a shower, small amounts of water are sprayed on the astronaut at a time and then quickly vacuumed up to prevent it from floating around. In the bathrooms the astronauts use also have vacuums for sucking up urine and other matter.

You may picture space foods to be powdered, liquid or paste... well, it used to be, but now the astronauts can consume all their favorite foods in the no gravity environment. Certain foods may be required to be dehydrated then re-hydrated, but the food comes out the same. The astronauts can eat steak, fruit, brownies and so many more products. Want some salt with that? Hope you're okay with liquid salt and pepper 'cause the true form is not allowed on the ship for safety reasons; it could float off into astronauts eyes, it could block an air vent, etc.

The astronauts use the microgravity living space to conduct all sorts of experiments that can only be performed in zero gravity, but they also live in the shuttles and have to do everyday things that become very different from how they are done on Earth. The astronauts continue to go up and do the man things we do everyday.

There are so many different things that people do not know about space. Everyone knows just the the simple things about space like the rocket. Have you ever dug deeper into the life in space. There is so much more to explore about the living in space. They have to eat and sleep and even brush their teeth with no gravity. That would be quite the fun.

Food in space is very similar to what we eat here on Earth. The only difference is the fact that they have to eat a lot more calories than we do and they need more calcium because without gravity our bones do not get the strength that they need. They eat three meals a day some meals with water and some just plain. Condiments, such as salt and pepper, are made into liquid for so that they are easily spread onto the food. They have no oven or refrigerator so they have to eat simple packaged meals. They are able to store the food of there choice in a special capsule as it is saved for later. Astronauts are now able to choose their food as before they were only able to have simple freeze dried meals.

Space suits are something that not many people know much about at all other than the Astronauts. They actually have a limit as to how many times they can go out into space. They can be out a maximum of 25 different times. They are fit so that one size fits all so that anyone could go into a suit. The suits down on earth way up to 400 lbs. In space these suits are weightless. Because of breathing they have to have carbon dioxide removing things that will remove the carbon dioxide and release the deadly gas. They are easily cleaned and replaced so that the astronauts are able to live in the hostile environment. They have fingertip heaters to protect them from the cold and also AC in their suits for the hot sun. They lastly have jet packs to get around in space.

Sleeping is similar to that of which goes on here on Earth they have to be strapped down onto a wall, floor, or something like that. Once they had been strapped down there arms were still open so they will float once they fall asleep and the astronauts will not even notice. They had 2 bunk beds for up to four astronauts so that some of them would have to sleep in sleeping bags on the floor. The captains usually are strapped into their seats. They had 8 hours of sleep and in that they still snored and dreamed the same way that we do today. Space sleep is exactly the same except for the fact that they are strapped down so that they won't hit anything while they are sleeping.

In Space life is very similar but also very different. I have only given a glimpse of life in space for the devoted astronauts that are on a space mission.

Living in space sounds really cool. You float, and the outside world is dazzling with sparkling stars. It sounds really exciting, but is it not all fun and games. Think about food, water and what you would wear! There are no malls to shop at, no plumbing and no grocery store. How would you survive?

Well, most people think you would have to wear those bulky space suits all the time, but now you can wear what ever you want. Before they are in space you chose a couple clothes to wear in space. They often put the clothing on the ship before the astronauts arrive themselves on the ship. Most of the astronauts wear clothes from NASA company. There are seven different articles of clothing on the suits the astronuats wear in space so none of the toxic are gets in. The clothing is a fairly wide range except the space suits there is only one type.

The food situation in space is fairly logical. They do not take anything that spoils easily because some of there trips are very long and they could get sick if they eat bad food. For an example they eat tortillas instead of bread because they do not spoil as much. They used to eat liquid food out of tooth paste tubes, but now they have way more options.

Water would be the hardest thing to get. The only have a certain amount of water for a certain amount of time. There are so many possibilities of the water running out and so many possibilities of bad things that could happen if you ran out of water. People would get dehydrated and sick and lots of the food they bring would need water to be eatable.

There are up and downs to living in space. Some people like it and some people would hate it. Some people wish they could go and never do, but what you should really remember is living in space is not for everyone.

Living in space is not all it’s cracked up to be. It is much more difficult in space because there is no gravity when they are not working. Most of the astronauts get a type of motion sickness called Space Adaptation Syndrome. Most of there food is dehydrated because it wont spoil and because they can pack more food for the trip. You are only limited to three gallons of water when taking a shower. Exercise is very important because living in weightlessness causes your heart to shrink. When returning to earth this could be catastrophic. Everybody has there own Personal Hygiene Kit complete with, tooth brush, tooth paste, combs, brushes, shavers. Instead of washing with soaps and shampoos that need water they use soaps and shampoos made for hospital patients that could not be exposed to water. While sleeping in space you must be strapped in to your bed to prevent form floating away while your sleeping. The Extra Vascular Actives or EVA is a space walk. The EVA suit can be used 25 times before it has to come back to earth for repair. As you can see living in space is more difficult than you think.

Living in space is very risky and hard. Here are just some things that I learned about living in space. I learned about the clothing in space and the food and the hygiene in space.

Crew members usually pick their outfits like their shirts, pants, and short. They pick from Russian or U.S clothing supplies. They pick coveralls heavy or light to work in space in. They pick their clothes out for every 3 days so for example they change their clothes the every 3 days.

Food In Space has came along way since the begging of the space rockets . They actually eat the same things that we do when we eat like brownies, fruit and other things containing water like pastas or macaroni. Condiments like ketchup and mustard are in liquid form. They eat 3 meals a day just like us.

Hygiene is very important just like it is on earth . Have you ever wondered what or how you would go to the bathroom or take a shower or shave. Well you have to be strapped down while doing those things. They have to work out in space because when your space you don’t use your muscles and bones because when you get out of space you’ll need your muscles.

So those are just somethings that happen while living in space. It seems fun to live in space but also very hard imagine sleeping, you have to be sleeping strapped in. It seems also very dangerous.

[LINK]