KSMO

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Title: Higgins Museum Essay (05/05/10)
Description: Students visited the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA and wrote about what they learned there.

Article posted May 27, 2010 at 03:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 149

The Higgins Armory Museum

Imagine strolling through a castle courtyard's cobblestone streets filled with the hustle bustle of servants, knights, and king's men.  Produce is being sold, the jousting tournament is very lively and men on horses are flying every were.  You could also be walking down the dusty dirt pathways of the small village but not now.  This was what life would be like for a man or woman living in the middle ages.  
This time period was a time of hardship with sickness and plague but also a time of war and the improvement of armor and weapons.  One of the most perfect places anyone  could go to learn about the changes and improvements of armor is the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, Massachusetts.  There, you can see and learn about the massive collections of shining armor ( and some not so shining) from pointy toed boots from the early middle ages of the 1400's to the ancient Etruscan helmets rusted to a greenish color.

Right when you walk through the wooden double doors you learn that the rich loved to show off so much that they even dressed the family dog in a smaller suit of armor.  You will notice that when the fashion changes, the style of armor changes and as time goes on,  you will notice that the need for armor was not very strong.  The 3 major periods of armor were military, sport and fun, and for decoration in rich manors and estates.  Armor in military improved and went through ton of changes to reduce areas that are "out in the open" and to promote flexibility.  Combat armor usually weighed from 45 to 80 pounds.   A heavy undergarment of chain mail was put on underneath.  Mail is thousands of tiny metal rings strung together to make a tightly woven and flexible shirt.  Over time, pointed tipped shoes faded into rounded ends and mail turned into plates of metal.  When the fashion changed, the armor changed and that meant that you had to be wealthy to buy all of that armor.

Tournament armor was needed for foot tournaments and jousts on horseback.  Joust armor was different from battle armor because of the weight.  Battle armor was a lot lighter because knights should be able to run, walk, jog, sit, and jump.  The jousters just had to sit on the back of a galloping horse in one position holding a lance.  Joust armor could get up to 90 to 95 pounds.  You might have thought that the horse wouldn't be able to go very fast because of the 90 pounds extra on it's back plus the saddle and all.  That's why they bred heavy draft horses with thick muscles.  the average light horse wouldn't be very happy.  Joust tournaments were only friendly games played by friends but they were still very dangerous.  Lances splintering, horses at full speed charging at each other and the force of a thick wooden pole against your chest.  This sport probably wouldn't appeal to anyone today.

The very rich nobles and kings loved to show off the wealthiness by displaying suits of armor in their grand manors and castles.  This armor at the time could not be worn because the armor was for show and not for use like a china doll.  The china doll is not for play, it is for show.  The rich did not just buy them for show, they also bought mini suits of armor for the son as if to say " we are so rich that we can afford to buy a suit of armor for our 7 year old boy and our little dog.  Yes, dogs could were armor too, if you could afford it.  Parade armor was popular too because it again could show off how wealthy you were and could have a little fun parading down the street or going to costume parties with your favorite suit of armor.      

As you can see, the three periods of armor were very different from each other and as time goes on, the need for more metal armor slows down and eventually stopped all together.  Now, soldiers were bullet proof gear and hard helmets, not heavy metal plates with a style change every so often.  Combat armor was light and flexible enough to run, jump, and sit on a horse.  Tournament armor was the heaviest and was not flexible and very stiff.  Decoration armor was not for battle because they weren't the same quality of real battle armor.  They sat in mansions and manors to show off how rich you were.  The invention of armor in metal plates definitely helped armies in the middle ages but they wouldn't help us today.  

Higgins Armory Museum

A trip to Higgins Armory Museum can be very useful to topics of our middle Ages and how armor was used for. The Knights are in armor of very fine crafted wear at the high rate of the renaissance in the middle ages. You can learn about different types of armor and see how each was used. People can learn how it was to be a knight at these times and how they followed their code. Most people don't know in this time period that there were some women under armor taking place in these times, and you could find out these legendary warriors. Many displays shown here allow all people to learn about Medieval times.

There are plenty of different kinds of armor with many different uses explained in the museum. One kind is meant for combat consisting many different pieces of steel converted together to make an armored suit. Decoration armor had very little protection than others, but included very artistic details that made it look nice in parades or festivals. Tournament armor weighed the most of all three and thickest for jousting in competition. Weight and flexibility can be learned from Each kind of armor has certain uses for at special times in life.

It was mostly men in armor but in these times there was some famous known women who were leaders and defenders of countries. One of the most famous, "Joan of Arc" young but led France through many battles. Making all these women to support and stand up for her country is due to spiritual leads and inheriting from fathers. Some were of said to been in armor but no women ever was a knight at this time. So, we know we can get the look at each of these warriors and the experience in the atmosphere.

Here we can learn about the Knighthood of each branch which includes, "The Code of Chivalry." It was used to make the knights look experienced and all exact the same under a set of rules. The rites and rules of a knight in armor was strict that tied with religous beliefs. In the warfare they had to bathe and dress in a certain and proper way every time getting ready to battle. It is a great way of being in experienced training at a high level. This was a great way of organizing and keeping the military strong and under rule during the middle ages. You can see everything the knights had to go through a day and the religion practiced along the way.

As you could learn on this tour thoughts go up looking at these interesting artifacts such as Corinthian helmets from Greece. The Higgins Armory Museum shows visitors the use of armor and the displays of medieval armor. Mostly men had rites but not as much less for women than other times in this period, so you can see the female leaders and warriors. Exhibits and writings could show you well the knighthood of chivalry and what they used for horses. Medieval warfare and the way of living in this time period the, "Middle Ages" is learned well in these displays at the Higgins Armory Museum.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

3 --  Outstanding     2 -- Ok, but could use some improvement     1-- Needed improvement     0 --- Missing

Introduction

2             Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

3            Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

3           Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2         Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

3         Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

2        Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3        Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3        Spelling

2         Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Good overall format to the essay - intro-body-conclusion. The introduction needed to more info on the Higgin's Museum to set the scene for the reader,but has a good transition to the body.  You needed a lot more research details & vocabulary to add depth of knowledge to the piece. The conclusion is a good effort,but the writing doesn't flow well and could be clearer

Higgins Armory Museum essay

Mr. John Woodman Higgins (death 1961) was a avid collector of medieval armory. He traveled around the world buying armor from the middle ages. In the 1930's, he constructed a building where he put all the armor that he had bought. There are all kinds of armor that he collected: full suits of armor, decorated armor, even some of the most historically significantly  suits of armor from the medieval time period. The museum is mostly just armory from the middle ages but there is plenty of armor to look at. If your curious about how much the armor weighed, how the warriors who wore this armor got on and off of their horses, or just what the armor looked like, you can learn about it at the museum. This museum shows you what it was like for the warriors who wore armor or even the nobles who wore armor in the medieval time period for fashion. 

Armor was originally made for warriors in battles to protect them so they wouldn't get hurt or killed. The armor was a thick piece of metal and covered the warriors full body. The helm (helmet) had holes on the bottom of the it, so they can breath (though it was hard for them to breath because the helm was so close to their faces). The helms eye spaces were so small the warriors could only see directly in front of them. Soon the armies were making rifles and the armor had to be stronger so that the rifle bullets wouldn't go through the armor. Since the blacksmiths couldn't give a guarantee on the armor so it would be bullet proof. The suits were very expensive and most of the warriors (who were not that rich) couldn't afford them. The nobles would buy the suits to show off how much money they had. They would wear them to parties and public outings. These were the status symbols of the nobles and if you didn't have one or your child didn't have one you were not rich enough to be a noble.

The three major periods of armor were combat, tourament, and decorative. The armor in combat was very flexible,it had good visibility, it was good for defense, and the weight was between 45-80 pounds. The suit had over 200 piece's of plate steel riveted together. The wearer was able to move quickly and comfortably in the suit with it's articuled joints. On these suits there was a lance rest. A lance rest is on the upper right hand side of the breast plate. The lance's were around 10-14 feet long with a long sharp pointed tip on the end. In comparison the tourament armor was not very flexible, you couldn't see that well out of the eye spaces, and it was very heavy at 80-100 pounds. The important thing was that it was very good for defense armor. (Which was what it was!) This was the thickest and heaviest jousting armor that was made in the Renaissance period. The armor was made so it would take the inpact of the lance when it came to the person wearing it. Finally, the third kind of armor made in that time peroid was called decorative, it was very flexible, you could see out of the eye spaces very well, and it only weighed 20-70 pounds. As a result for making the suits for fashion and not protection they were a poor choice for battle. The people who made these suits used acid to burn away some of the metal so that it made a desgin in the armor. Mostly it was only rich nobles who would wear this type of armor.

Some interesting facts about armor are that early knights didn't have elbow, kneecap, shin, or ankle shields. The knights wore about 60 pounds of armor on the battle field. For fashionable suits of armor in the Glothic period, all the shoes had pointed toes. The Maximillion suits of armor had rounded toes in the shoes and rippled grooves in the chest plate. Mail armor is when there are metal circles attached to each other, formed into the shape of a shirt so a knight could wear it as his armor. People had armor made for their children to show how rich they were and what they could afford. (even though the child would out grow the armor in a couple years.) When armor was first invented, the armor covered the knights entire body. Then when armor became more for show and rifles were being used there was less armor worn by the knights. In modern days people in the army wear more armor than they used too. So it's coming back!

The Higgins Museum of Armory is a hands-on, fun place to go for a field trip. One can look through and try on helmets, which in most museums they don't let you do. At Higgins, you can make a art project by simply pressing hard on a design, thats on top of a piece of tin foil. This simple act replicates how they put the decorations on the decorative armor which was worn for fashion statements more than for protection. Overall, the Higgins Museum has something for everyone and provides an opportunity to see what it was like to be a knight in the middle ages. Who knows maybe it will inspire you.  

The Higgins is the biggest self collection armory museum in Worcester Massachusetts. The collection was founded by John Woodman Higgins. The collection has about 1600 pieces of armor and weapons. The museum was founded in 1929. The museum consists of sections of armor of weapons of Gothic, European, Western, African, Islamic, Indian, and Japanese. Mr. Higgins died in 1961, the collection and building was given to the public. The building was upgraded in 1984 they raised 2.1 Million dollars for the cause. The collection is very extensive and has a lot of history and interesting tales to tell.

There are three major types and uses of armor, Combat/warfare, lancing/tournament, and decoration. Combat/warfare was the first use and type of armor. The armor was designed for easy adjustment, so the wearer could mount his horse with ease, so he could fight with very little set back. The armor weighed about 45-80 pounds. The armor was made for protection, that’s all. After a while the design became more and more precise, they were designed to protect weak spots or gaps in the armor. They were made from about 200 pieces of armor. The helmet always had good visibility, unlike many other types of armor, they had to be like this so the wearer could see their opponent and surroundings well. For weapons to go with this type of armor are combat lances which are usually 10-14 feet with a head that was shaped a lot like a spear, they also had a small sword that they usually kept strapped to their hip. But this type of armor soon went out of style.

The second type and use of armor is lancing/tournament. This type of armor was designed for very little movement, and very little visibility. It is the heaviest and thickest type of armor ever, the armor weighed 80-100 pounds. The game of Joust involves two mounted knights on opposite ends of a playing field called a tiltyard, they charged at each other and tried to unseat to unseat the other. The target of the knights was strapped piece of armor much like a shield attached to the left shoulder. The game of Joust was not made for killing, it was for fun and betting and winnings, accidents rarely happened and many precautions were needed, since cuts with infection could kill since times were very different, but death rarely happened and injuries were usually small. The horses were usually charging at about 20 miles an hour, and the knights usually endured an impact of about 40 miles an hour on his chest. The armor was designed specifically for this type of impact, and incase the lance splintered, which it was in most cases made to. In most cases if the splinters got into crevices in the armor or helmet it usually led to infection and sometimes death. Each knight wielded a blunted lance about 10-14 feet. Many knights bet another knight their armor even if it didn’t fit him he could sell it, maybe even sell it back to the losing knight, but it was a great way to get money. But this type of armor was swapped by the decorative suits.

The last type of armor for the medieval times was decorative. Decorative was not meant for battling, it was meant to wear to special occasions like parades, court events, and ceremonies. The suits were actually very weak since all the tampering it took to make it look good. The suit was not designed for protection, it was made for show, it had very intricate designs on it. Having a suit of armor was basically saying that you had money and could blow 75,000 dollars on a suit of armor you will probably wear small amount of times. These suits were for showing off you were stylish and rich. The cost of one of these suits was usually about a fourth of a knights salary. Sometimes people didn’t even wear their suits they would hang them up on their walls, sometimes they didn’t have the whole suit made. There were many ways to decorate a suit of armor, etching, embossing, engraving, blueing and gilding. People loved to have decorative armor but it was soon exchanged for actual armor used for battle.

The types and uses of armor have changed drastically over the years and centuries, Higgins really helps to identify in detail these things. Their collection has so many great stories to tell. The history of armor will just keep on growing and so will the collection and intelligence of Higgins Armory will keep on growing. Higgins Armory collection is so extent we saw only a small fraction but it was so informative. Higgins Armory’s collection is great and shows so much history in a great way.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

3 -- Outstanding 2 -- Ok, but could use some improvement 1-- Needed improvement 0 --- Missing

Introduction

3 Gave the reader background and general information about the museum --- set the scene.

3 Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

3 Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2 Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

3 Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

3 Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3 Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3 Spelling

3 Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Very good organization to the essay and excellent supporting details in the body. More research vocabulary would have added depth to the writing. introduction 7 conclusion are both well done. Excellent overall effort on this piece.

HIGGINS MUSEUM ESSAY

The Higgins Armory Museum is a museum in Worcester, Massachusetts. It was founded by John Higgins in 1929, when he finally moved his vast collection of arms and armor to one building and opened the higgins armor museum. This is a vast collection of thousands of peices of arms and armor from all different time periods. At the museum you can learn lots of stuff, like how jousting armour is different than normal armor, what a duel is, and why armor stopped being used as much.

There are three different types of armor: armor used in tournaments (jousting armor), armor used for battle, and armor used for celebrations or parties. The armour used in tournaments is very thick, and leaves you little or no room to move about. Armor used in battle usually protects you rather well, but sacrifices some protection for mobility. Finally, the celebration armor is armor made and used for one reason: to show off how rich and important you were. This armor was made overly decorative and impractical, and would be little help in a fight.

There were a number of weapons used back in medieval times, both for knights, and against knights. Weapons used against knights were designed to first get a knight off his horse, and then pierce his armor. A halberd, or a polearm was used to knock a knight off his horse, and was essentialy a club of metal with some spiked protrusions coming out of it. After the knight was on the ground, they would mob him with their spears. A knight used two main weapons, a lance, a long stick used in tournaments, and the sword, for close combat. The knight dominated the battlefield, and was worth a good deal more than the foot soldiers.

Knights had a strict code of honor that they had to uphold, and it was more important to them then their life. This included when if you denied a challenge, either a duel or a joust, you were considered a coward, and without honor. Attacking an opponent with no challenge, or striking and opponent from behind was considered cowardice, and against the code of honor. Knights had to be kind to ladies, polite at meals, respect their elders, and fight for their king. They had two main types of duels, a joust and a duel. A joust was when both knights, both with a lance, rushed at each other on their horses and tried to knock each other off. although not meant to be fatal, it often was. A duel was a knight fighting with his sword against another knight. Knights had a hard time of upholding honor while still staying alive.

To finish this off, a visit to the Higgins Armor Museum is an enlightening experience, for both a history buff, and the average layman. It will give you an eye-opening experience of what armor was like at the time, what weapons were used, what it would have been like to live back then, and even more. The museum is an interesting spectacle to see by itself, being in a post-modern factory building, with interesting rooms, such as the great hall, which is an accurate reproduction of what a great hall would have been in a castle back in the medieval times. All in all, the museum is an awesome spectacle, and in going there you will learn a very good deal of stuff.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

3          Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

3          Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

2           Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

2          Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

2         Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3       Essay format followed the directions for assignment

2      Spelling

3      Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Godd overall format and organization of infromation in the essay. Good introduction & transition to the body. More research vocabulary would have added depth to the piece.  The conclusion get off topic and brings in new information - never bring new info into your conclusion -- summarize only.

Article posted May 21, 2010 at 01:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 97

Higgins Armory Museum

The 7th grade students at Rye Jr. High went to the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, Ma on Friday April 9th. The Museum was put together by Mr. Higgins who went over to Europe and brought back many artifacts from the Middle Ages. He opened a museum to display the artifacts. At the Museum we saw many examples from the past, including suits of armor, weapons, and various items from the Middle Ages. There are three different types of armor; Combat, Tournament and Parade. As you read on, you will learn about the three different major periods of armor.

The first major period of armor was Combat. Most knights had a full suit of armor to protect themselves from the enemy. The suit of armor was made up of over 200 pieces of steel plate, put together. The combat armor was very flexible but very heavy. The suit could weigh up to 60 pounds, not including the weapons. A knight could see very well out of the helmet. In the suit, a knight could move at his joints without any skin or body parts exposed. If a knight was struck and fell off his horse, he could easily remount his horse and keep going.

The second major period of armor was Tournament. This type of armor was made for competitions where people were fighting for fun or entertainment. The tournament armor was not very flexible and the person inside the armor could not see out of the helmet very well. This armor was also extremely heavy to wear. Tournament armor was designed to protect the person from getting impaled by a lance while Jousting or fighting on foot with swords. The most common injuries caused by Jousting were not from being hit by a lance or being thrown off your horse, they were from the lance breaking and splintering.

The third major period of armor was Parade or Decorative. This type of armor was made for rich people to show off how wealthy they were. They also had suits inside their house on display, that no one wore, just to show of how rich they were. Armor was very expensive and not many people could afford it. The rich would wear the armor in parades, court events and ceremonies. The wealthy people could have etchings on their armor, the etchings could be anything the person wanted to make their suit more expensive and fancy. The suit provided little protection and a person could not defend himself in it.

At the museum we saw a lot and learned many new facts about the Middle Ages. It was interesting to see all the different types of armor and who wore them. It was also cool to see the artifacts from the Middle Ages that were not replicas.

Higgins Armory Museum Essay

New England is full of many historic sites, references, and museums. One example is the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, Massachusetts. The steel and glass building was built by John Higgins in 1930 to hold his collection of armory, which became publicized in 1931. The Higgins Armory Museum now holds one of the world’s best collections of arms and armory—over 35 suites of armor. There is an abundance of information you can learn about armor, knighthood, and changes in armor over the years.

Until the 17th century, armor was a universally popular idea. It was used all around the world, for many reasons. Probably the most important was that it protected against blows from the enemy. Also, a knight would wear armor out of battle to assert and display their status, which was a significant aspect of feudal society (feudalism is a system that works mainly on a rigid social structure that strictly controls the way anyone of a certain social status can behave). Knights also used their armor to identify and represent themselves, and, in battle, to intimidate the enemy. When armor was made, it often highlighted local culture through the materials used and the designs on it and in some cases expressed traditions. There was war armor, but most knights also had ceremonial armor—much more intricate and fancy, and instead of seeing the battlefield, it was used in ceremonies.

There were two main types of armor, mail and plate armor. In the early middle ages, mail was the more popular protection, but it had a few flaws. It was vulnerable against crushing blows from heavy weapons and crossbows, since it was flexible and could be pushed in. So in the early 1400’s, plate armor moved in and became more popular. Now it was common to see a knight clad head to toe in a full suite of plate armor, which is the stereotype image that is associated with a knight. Also part of that image is that the knight is on horseback, which was a common sight in battle. Although knights were not clumsy, they also had to be in top physical condition to be able to fight with armor on, so being on a horse made it that much harder. Nevertheless, they were a formidable force.

During the period when armor was most popular, which is to say from ancient Greek times to the 1600’s, there were changes in the styles of armor. In Greek and Roman times, the most common armor to see was bronze plate armor, although they didn’t wear nearly as much as a knight in the middle ages. They usually just had a helmet, breastplate, and grieves (shin guards), with some varying items. Then, in the early middle ages, iron chain mail became popular but was abandoned in the 1400’s, to be replaced by heavy suites of plate armor, which was made of steel. It was much stronger and stood up to the things that chain mail couldn’t. However, there was something else that eventually wiped out armor altogether: gunpowder. It was introduced to Europe in the 1300’s, but didn’t catch on until the 1500’s. Armor just couldn’t stand up to weapons like cannons, guns, explosives, and other gunpowder-based weapons that were being invented. As it was being made heavier and heavier to withstand the heavy impacts, it became much too heavy to wear. So, with gunpowder growing more and more popular and armor getting too heavy, in the 1600’s the idea of armor was abandoned for a style of warfare that required much lighter, quicker tactics. Armor had become obsolete, and the world had moved into a much different style of warfare.

The information above, which all is taught at the Higgins Armory Museum, shows what a good source it is. It is clearly important to have a resource as good as the Higgins Armory Museum, because it gives us a good understanding of the history of armor. Furthermore, all of the exhibits displayed there teach us the important history and evolution of armor. So the next time you’re in Worcester, you should stop in to the Higgins Armory Museum and have a look.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

3        Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

3         Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

3         Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2       Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

2         Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

3        Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3          Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3        Spelling

3          Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Your essay reads well, good introduction solid supporting details in the body. More research vocabulary would have helped add depth to the explanations.  You conclusion is ok, but could use a rewrite to make it less akward. Good overall effort on the essay.

The Higgins Armory Museum was founded by Mr.Higgins in the 1930's.  It was his collection of ancient armor from the 1300's to the 1700's.  The museum contains many interesting facts, armor, and weapons.  Some types of armor was parade armor, tournament armor, and combat armor.  The trip was a great experience and a great job put together by the staff.  There was a lot of armor and a lot of important history to learn there.

Right when a visitor enters, there should be a man fully dressed in armor.  You can notice how he can easily run, jog, and sit down.  That was an advantage for armor but armor was also very heavy.  Armor could get up to 90 pounds!  He will show the viewer a sample of the three different armors I talked about earlier and teach you about how different weapons worked.  As i said, there is combat armor which was used for combat.  Sometimes they would use chain mail armor which was many small rings to help protect from slashing but not hitting with a sword.  There was also full body armor to be used in battle. Then came tournament for jousting which was where two men charged at each other with lances.  Then came parade armor which was not actually used to fight with but was used as decoration for the rich.

Then the visitor would make there way up the second floor which is a giant great hall.  They have armor, weapons and some other cool artifacts in display cases.  One weapon in particular is the lance.  Sometimes they could get up to around eighteen feet.  There is also a special weapon which is kind of like a lance with a hook to take down men on horses.  It is also very sharp at the end to kill horses.  The great hall has a lot of different weapons from different times and some of it is actually pretty interesting if you take time to read what they have to say in the small captions they have next to the case.

Another big thing in medieval times was fashion.  There were many different fashions that came and went and the cycle still runs today.  One fashion was that there shoes would be long and spiky.  Even after armor kind of died, the rich would buy armor themselves to strut around in and make people know that they're rich.  Sometimes the rich would even buy armor for there kids to make sure everyone knew they were rich.  Another piece of clothing in fashion then was big, "poofy" pants for the men.  That is basically what all the men were wearing then.

The Higgins Armory Museum is an amazing place for anyone who enjoys learning more about medieval times.  The Higgins Armory Museum has a ton of old armor and weapons once used by medieval warriors.  Many stories lie within the museum and it is a great experience to go in, and learn a lot about medieval times and all the armor and fashion and architecture and weapons.  Hopefully the Higgins Armory Museum will grow to be more successful and to continue to teach many more people in the future about so long ago in the past.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

2         Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

Body

3          Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

Conclusion

3          Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

3          Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

2       Spelling

2       Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments:  Good overall effort on this piece of writing. The format of the essay is good, the information is well organized into paragraphs. You do lack research vocabulary and specific details to have good depth to the wrting. Your introduction and conclusion are solid,although the last sentence is off topic. You also use personal pronouns (I) which you were told not to in the directions.

Higgins is a Museum of arms and armory. It is located in beautiful Worcester, Massachusetts.  The building is three stories tall with medieval flags at the top and the inside of the building resembles a castle.   The museum can be seen from the highway and is about two hours from Rye, NH. Higgins Museum houses over eighty million dollars worth of breathtaking armory and weapons!  Standing in front of the different displays, visitors are taken back to the times when Rome fell and when Duke's and Kings wore highly decorated suits of armor.  Visitors will learn about the types of armor and the types of arms (weapons) and the various forms of decorations used on armor.  

There are three types of armor displayed at the museum. The types of armor are combat, tournament, and decorative. Combat armor consists of 200+ pieces of metal and weighs 45-80 pounds. Combat armor is very flexible and good at protecting knights from swords and arrows. Another type of armor is tournament. It was for spectator games and knight training. This armor is very heavy and it is difficult to move in. Visibility was also extremely poor because the slit in the visor to protect knight’s eyes was thin. After all the disadvantages it did have one advantage. The suit was that being of strong metal that was an excellent defense against lances and swords. Decorative armor was like a man’s suit in the Middle Ages and was lightweight. The suit was used to show wealth and royalty. This armor was not for defense and was only for fashion. There was even armor for dogs and children but this was primarily for the royalty.  Depending upon the century the armor was made, the foot plates, or sabaton's would be different. If the armor was from the 1400's, the feet may have points at the top of them because that was the style.  By the 1500's, those were gone and some of the armor had fliting (lines on the suits).  A suit of armor like that now could go for as much as a Rolls Royce!

During the middle ages there were many types of arms.  One of them is called the cross bow and is similar to the current day bow and arrow. The cross bow is harder to set and you have to pull a trigger to launch it.  There are many types of spears that were used to defend and protect the kingdoms.  One of the types of spears displayed in Higgins is called a lance. A lance is a 9' long spear and as time went on it got longer. This was popular because they were cheap, efficient and strong.  Medieval fighters would get into small to medium groups and stick out the spears in rows of x-x. Once one row of men was gone, men and men on horses had to go through several more rows before they were stopped.  Sometimes the knight could win. Most weapons were made from metal like pick-forks or shovels because that is what most people had. At the end of the middle ages gun and gun pounder began to take the place of the cross bows, spears, and lances.

There are seven different types of armor decoration:  etching, engraving, embossing, blueing, gilding, damascening and painting. The ones that they show most common in the Higgins Museum are etching, engraving and painting.  A technique that is in Higgins is painting of armor. Painting was one of the cheaper ways of decorating armor. There was only one color and that was black. One of the reasons the warriors would paint their suits was to prevent rust. One of the most common types of decoration was etching.  Etching was when they would burn acid in armor for designs and put a varnish over it so it would prevent rust. One other type of design was engraving. Engraving is when they would use a sharp tool and engrave a design in metal. This was very hard to do and was expensive so not many armor was made this way. Last, embossing involved shaping metal itself, first heating metal and then hammering out the decoration from inside. This was a very expensive decoration and it would weaken the metal.  It was used for ceremonial armors. Those were just a few of the variety of designs at Higgins.

At The Higgins museum, one can learn a lot about the arms and armor used during the medieval ages. It’s a great field trip for junior high students. Even though it may be a long drive to get there, the abundance of information it has makes it well worth the trip.  It is a great museum!

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

Body

3        Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

3       Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

2        Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

3       Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3        Spelling

Comments: Wow outstanding overall effort. Great introduction, perfect. Your body read really well, excellent supporting details and explainations. You could have used some more research vocabulary to add depth. Conclusion does a good job bring closure, but should have done a little more recapping of topics. Nice Work!

Higgins Armory Essay Armor serves a very simple purpose. Its job is to protect the wearer from injury and death during battle. The complex part of armor however, is how it has evolved over the years. Going from the good old knights wearing a full suit of plate armor, to wearing just a helmet, the Higgins Armory shows a great representation of both the simple use of armor, as well as the complexity of how it evolved, and what weapons were used against the different types of armor, and of course what weapons were used with armor. Armor in the dark ages started being seen around 600-700 C.E. At this point, mostly mail armor was used due to it being light, but still very defensive. A mail chest piece if thousands of tough rings that are interlocked together, so that 5 rings are all interlocked, meaning it is almost impossible to slash through or stab it. Crushing weapons however, could dent the armor, and thus the knight as well, creating quite a problem. This was a main reason that as the dark ages went in to the middle ages, and then the renaissance, plate started to be more in use. The Higgins museum shows a good timeline and very well describes when and how these changes happened, and of course it has lots of armor to show it visually. Why did mail start fading away? It became too complex to make (thousands of interlocking rings) and it became less suitable for the new technology of weapons being invented every day. Another main reason is that plate armor started to begin to become just as flexible and move-able as mail. This is demonstrated with many examples at Higgins, when a full suit of plate armor is run, jumped in, sat down in, and even sprinted in. Craftsmen, began developing ways to interlock the armor with joints similar to that of a humans without creating crevices in the armor. As mail began fading out due to the more popular plate, two other uses for armor began developing. This first example is dress armor. Higgins shows a great contrast in what makes dress armor and combat armor different. Dress armor is lavishly designed and sometimes painted, as well as many carvings and etchings to show off great wealth in the family. Generally, this kind of armor would not be used in combat due to it being so light and thin, and also many gaps. The other kind of armor, aside from combat armor, is tournament armor. This kind of protection would only be used in jousting and other combat games due to the way it is built. The Higgins has many full suits of both tournament and combat armor, and at first glance they might seem almost identical. The little details though, could prove big when you step into one or the other. First off, tournament armor is the most defensive armor, which also makes it by far the heaviest. Also, the ability to move and flex around is nearly impossible. The helmet is in fact bolted onto the breastplate, and there are no weak gaps, as to hope that no one gets killed in a simple game of jousting. The last main difference between the two, is the helmet. First, what exactly is jousting. It is when two horse-mounted knights charge at each other with a 14 foot long lance and try to de-mount the other one. The lances, being made out of wood, will splinter upon impact, creating large, sharp, fast-moving particles of wood. If these splinters were to hit in say, the chest or the eyes, it was not uncommon that that could easily kill. Knights weren’t stupid though, and they tried to make sure hat wouldn’t happen. The first is the armor, but the second is the helmet. In addition to being locked in place, the visor is actually at around the position of the forehead. As the knights approach, they lean down so they can see, and at the last second move up to protect their face. This ensured a lot less death in jousting. Armor is of course only one side of the story. Something had to be used both against it, and with it. A knights most used weapon is his lance. What is a lance. It is pretty much a 14 foot stick that tapers down to a sharp metal point at the end, perfect for jabbing and stabbing enemies on foot, when the knight is on horse. The problem with the lance is that it splinters after being used, so a knight will always carry a sword. Also, the richer knights in the 1500’s would carry around 5 loaded up pistols. Since back then they were so complicated to use, loading and re-loading was a real, so knights just prepared them in advance. As guns started being developed though, is when armor started fading away. As far as weapons used against knights ,the most common thing was a spear or a pole arm. A pole arm is a long 18-foot wooden staff with a metal point, prong, fork, spoon, bill, or any variation on the end, as long as its sharp. Hundreds of different varieties were made, and the Higgins has tons of them, ranging from a simple stick with a point, to the very complicated pole arms that were developed for maximum use. The main two advantages of the spear and pole arm is that they are longer than a lance, and also much more durable. They could be used over and over again, and as the pole arms became wackier and wackier in prongs, forks, and bills, new mechanics were developed to find the best way to pull a knight off his horse, or puncture that plate armor, or grab his sword right out of his hand! Even spears, just like swords, lances, plate and chain mail started fading away due to one concept, that would change warfare for the next 600 and more years, guns. This essay can definitely has information that can be extracted, but not sight, sound, or feel. That is the job of the Higgins Armory. While not many items can be touched, the very fact of seeing them a couple of feet away allows you to visualize in your mind of what it would be like to use arms and armor, instead of just using a wall of text. As said before, Higgins shows the drastic differences in combat, parade, and tournament armor, as well as the ultimate changes and finally demise in armor as guns started becoming the weapon of most combat. The Higgins is a worthwhile visit, and it is definitely not just a big building with identical gray suits of armor. It is much more, as is armor itself. However, you cannot go to Higgins and expect the armor to teach you the facts, there is a process of interpreting all the information to make sense with each other. The final thing to be said, is that the best thing done by Higgins is showing what it was really, for knights were not just people in perfect armor, with a shining sword and beautiful horse, there is so much more.

Higgins Museum Essay Evaluation 3 -- Outstanding 2 -- Ok, but could use some improvement 1-- Needed improvement 0 --- Missing Introduction 1 Gave the reader background and general information about the museum --- set the scene. 2 Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum) Body 3 Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph 2 Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary Conclusion 3 Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum? 3 Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay) Structure 3 Essay format followed the directions for assignment 3 Spelling 2 Capitalization (Used correct capitalization) Comments: Very good supporting details and an excellent conclusion. The introduction doesn't set the scene of the museum (who,what where), in fact you do more of that in the conclusion. Watch your organization of information, the 2nd body paragraph really has more than one subject. The essay also needed more researched vocabulary.

Higgins Armory Museum

Higgins Armory Museum is filled with armor and weapons that were used centuries ago.  Ranging from one of the only remaining Roman gladiator helmets, to the armor of a medieval knight; this museum is full of important artifacts that teach us about the history of armor.  Mr. Higgins collected armor and weapons from all over the world focusing mainly on the Medieval Era.  Before Mr. Higgins died, he had the museum built, with the second floor modeled after a cross between a cathedral and a castle, in order to have a place to show people his collection.  At the Higgins Museum people are taught about various types of armor, the history of armor, and of course the fully armored knight.

There are three major types of armor, tournament, parade, and combat armor.  Tournament armor was used mainly in the middle ages and was solely used as protection in a sport called jousting.  Jousting was when two heavily armored knights, normally on horseback, charged at each other with a 15 foot long blunted stick,  trying to knock each other off of their horses. Thick armor, weighing nearly 100 pounds is worn by these knights in order to keep the mortality rate down during these matches.  Parade armor was elaborately decorated armor used by wealthy people in order to show wealth and status.  Armor, especially the parade armor was extremely expensive and unnecessary, worn to parades and some parties they were sparsely used.  Combat, or war armor is the third major type of armor, and has been worn for most of human history.  The main purpose of combat is to protect its user by allowing the person to move around, while still being incased in armor.  During the Medieval time period, knights were able to wear armor that fit around their joints; previously there had simply been a gap around the knees and elbows.  Over time, combat armors purpose has changed dramatically.

Armor has played a major part in human history, but it has changed a lot since its invention in prehistoric times.  The usage of armor began when people started using individual pieces of armor such as the helmet and the shield.  Over time, more armor was added to the soldier for protection, until the entire soldier was covered in full armor.  Soon muskets were developed, although they were unreliable at first, they changed the use of armor.  The musket is a long distance weapon that when used by many people, could stop a fully armored knight, so these soldiers exchanged less armor for the ability of more agility.  Armor was not used again until the American Civil War, at which point small amounts of armor were being used.  Since the use of armor in the Civil War modern soldiers have been covering themselves in armor.  The use of armor is used in cycles, through periods of no armor, and times of full armor.

In the Medieval Era, the first fully armored soldier appeared, the knight.  Knights arrived in battle on top their loyal and trained war horses.  Both knight and horse wore armor in order to protect the expensive pair.  The horse would be equipped with its own helmet; it also had armor surrounding the saddle in which the knight would sit.  The knight was dressed in combat armor that fully covered him, but still allowed him to ride with relative ease.  The knight only had a few week points that enemies would aim at, under the arms, and in some places where armor connected and there was a small area of undefended flesh.  Over time, these weak points were reduced but still the cause of most fatalities.  Knights would fight with a 10 to 14 foot long bill, or lance.  With the combined weight of the horse and knight at the end of the lance, it was a vicious weapon.  If a knight's lance was ever broken or dropped, they were also equipped with a sword, which although it wasn't as effective as the lance, still posed as a threat.  The knight was an extremely formidable foe because of its protection and weapons.

Armor has played an important part in all of our wars and times of peace.  From the beginning of armor, when the first helmets were being used, to the fully armored knight, armor has served to protect people.  Although at some times in our history, armor has not been used due to the inventions of revolutionary weapons, it has always been called upon again whenever the situation calls upon it.  Armor from parade to combat has shaped our history and culture.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

2           Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

3           Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

3            Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2           Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

3         Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3        Spelling

3        Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Good format to the essay and excellent supporting details. Good introduction, except you don't tell the reader enough about  the museum (like where it is). The body flows well, but you needed more research vocabulary for depth. The conclusion bring closure, but does not go back and revisit the topic (museum)

The Higgins Armory Museum is located in Worcester, Massachusetts. It's a great way to learn about the types of armor worn in the Middle Ages, and it has one of the best armor collections in the world. John Higgins, a milliTitleonaire, founded it in 1929, though he had collected armor his whole life. Made to look like a Great Hall of a castle, the armor is laid out along the sides so it can be viewed by the public. There are several major sections useful to learn about the armor and why it was used. Some are the major periods of uses of armor, the parts of armor, and the Code of Chivalry.

One topic you can learn about is about the different uses of armor. There are three eras of armor. The first use, and the the reason it was invented for, is combat. Knights would wear armor into battle for protection. However bulky it may look, it's actually easy to maneuver in as long as the knight has had the proper training to wear it. Most weapons could not penetrate the metal plates. Eventually, other weapons were invented to use against the knight, such as the hooked spear or crossbow. These weapons lead to full body armor to become less useful; defense against them were trying to get out of the way with speed. So, the use of battle armor declined into special occasion and game attire. If a celebration was being held, a very rich person would dress up in armor with fancy decorations and a helmet in the shape of an animal, most commonly a fish or dog. It was also necessary to use in the joust, also called the tournament. Two knights mounted on horses, armed with a long wooden pole, would charge at each other and try to break their pole on each other. It was necessary because when the pole broke on the other knight, it would hurt and splinters would fly everywhere. The helmet was designed to have a very thin slit to see angled upward. It was designed so that the splinters would not go into people's eyes, which caused several deaths. But eventually, armor faded into a decoration to show off wealth. If a guy had a set of armor, he's the fanciest of the fancy. That is how armor stayed for quite some time, and it's eventually going back up into combat use. Even now, if a person had a set of armor, you would now that he's rich. John Higgins himself was an example of that! The three periods of armor all make sense, whether it was dodging swords, parading, or showing off.

Another area of interest is learning about the parts of a knights' armor. The helmet consists of a visor, the part where there are eye holes, a bevor, the part below the visor, the helm in the back, and the gorget, the neck piece. This is crucial to have to deflect fatal wounds to the neck and head. The biggest piece of the armor is the cuirass, a breast-and-back plate, which also deflects fatal blows. The pauldron is a shoulder protector. It's easy to move in it because of the overlapping pieces of armor that form joints. Going down the arm, there are rerebrace and vambrace that connect to the elbow joint, the cowter. On their hands, knights wear gauntlets on the top so they can protect their hand while fighting. Back to the main body armor. Below the cuirass, an upper thigh shield also allows movement due to its overlapping armor pieces. The cuisse protects the lower thigh and connects to the poleyn at the knee. From there, the greave protects the rest of the leg from the knee to the ankle and shin. The sabaton is like a metal shoe. Armor is very heavy, and knights must go through special training to wear it. The pieces of the armor, however heavy, do protect to a certain degree. Without it, a lot more people would have died in the middle ages.

Another interesting part of the museum is learning about the Code of Chivalry. The Code of Chivalry is a set of strict rules that a knight swears to follow at his knighting. The first part of the code is obedience to the Church. Knights will follow orders from the Catholic church like they would their king. Similar to that comes willingness to defend the church, which means to defend it while under attack. Knights must also have respect and pity for weakness, and must be steadfast in protecting them. They certainly need a love of their country. Knights swear to not retreat before the enemy during war. To knights, it was either fight, fight and get killed, or retreat and get banished from the church. Most knights did not want to be banished, so they fought. Relating to that, they must have unceasing and merciless war against the infidel, meaning war against people who do not accept a certain religion or faith. They must have obedience to their feudal overlord, unless their orders do not agree with God. They must be loyal to the truth and pledged word, which also means they can not go back on their vows. Generosity in giving goes with their companionship of what is right and good anywhere and anytime against the forces of evil. That was why knights were so successful in battle and with helping their people.

There is so much more to learn at Higgins Armory! You can learn more about the Code of Chivalry, the parts of armor, and the timeline of armor. But besides that, you can learn about who wore armor, how you became a knight, the types of weapons used by the knight, weapons used against the knight, more about the tournament, women in armor, and so much more. But an article alone cannot give you the whole experience; only going there can.  For people who love history, it's a great place to learn more about the middle ages. For those who are history-reluctant, it's a great place to start.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

3         Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

2         Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

3        Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

Structure

3         Essay format followed the directions for assignment

2         Spelling

Comments: Excellent supporting details and vocabulary in the body. Good solid conclusion, one area that could have been better is the transition in the introduction, it could have been a smoother and clearer for the reader. Excellent overall effort!

Article posted May 6, 2010 at 02:29 AM GMT • comment • Reads 74

The Higgins Armory Museum is located in Worcester, Massachusetts. At the museum you can find all types of armor. It all started when a man name John Woodman Higgins started to collected armor from ancient time periods and from there formed the collection into a museum where the public could come and see all the armor. They don’t usually give tours, but you can mostly go through the whole museum and see all the armor. He has the one of the biggest collection in the world. It is quite a place to come and check out.

Here you can learn all about the different types of armor and the characteristics of all the armor. In the 300s(?) plate armor was used. You would have to make sure your armor fit nicely on you. The size of your armor helped you win in battle. Also there they had Composite armor which was when all the pieces of one armor suit was all together it was a good suit that would last a long time. Back then if you paraded in armor it would show that you were rich.  They went through many helmet styles and most of the helmet styles you could not see anything out of the helmet.

Looking through all of the exhibits you can see what knights do when they fight on horses even horses have armor. They have to make sure when they are fighting that they throw their spear correctly and that they do not get hit by the other spear.  Sometimes they will practice throwing spears, but it is with a wall so that they do not collided into each other.  Also there they have guns and, and during that time guns went through changes when they were expansive and did not work and then went through changes where they were cheap and worked well, during the time period of 1600.

At the exhibit mesh was visible and it was interesting to see the undergarments for the armor of the knights. The mesh was used a protective, shield beneath armor; to be worn by knights during battle. The thought was the mesh would protect them against wounds that could be caused during battle. However armor was always indestructible. If a person was to be hit with a club or war hammer the plate armor could be damaged by the force and it could result in the person having broken bones, head trauma or organ hemorrhages.

At Higgins you are able to experience firsthand what craftsmanship went into the creation of armor and swords. It is amazing to see that mere men would don such clothing and engage one another in fighting. The collection at Higgins is a textbook come alive.   Anyone who likes to look at armor and find at how knights use armor this is the place and come and see. Enjoy your time there and look at every little thing that man collected.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

3           Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

2          Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

1          Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2          Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

2          Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3            Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3           Spelling

Comments: You have good supporting details from the museum visit and good overall format to the essay. Organization of the information is a problem, you jump around in your paragraphs switching topics. Stick to one topic, tell what you know and then go on to the next one. More research vocabulary would have added depth to your explanations. Your conclusion brings closure, but doesn't really sum up the museum and what a person can learn from a visit.

The Higgins Armory Museum Essay

By: MJBR Green

The Higgins armory museum was founded by John Woodman Higgins in 1929 and is located in Worcester, Massachusetts. The Museum is four stories high and is made to look like the Gothic style from medieval times. It is home to weapons and armor from medieval and renaissance Europe, Japan, and ancient Rome and Greece. At the Higgins armory museum, there are over 3,000 pieces of armor and 1,000 weapons from Europe.  The museum holds about 1,000 pieces of African, Islamic, Indian, and Japanese defense weapons and arms. They have full sets of armor and weapons from the fall of Rome to the 1600's. The Higgins armory museum has armor from three periods: combat, parade, and tournament. 

The 1st period of armor was combat. The armor in this period was mainly used for fighting with swords and daggers, and was also used to defend the knights against these weapons. The armor used during the combat period was very strong and smooth with good flexibility which was good for deflecting weapons. The armor was light and weighed around 45-70 lbs, and was also easy to walk, run, and ride horses in. There was a long thin slit at the top of the helmet that was used for seeing your opponent and also to avoid getting stabbed in the eye with a sword. The only problem with this armor was it was very loud when the knights ran so it wasn't the best type of armor for hiding from your enemies. And over the period of time when combat armor was popular they kept trying to make new ways knights could wear more and more armor while being able to move easily.

The 2nd period of armor was parade. The armor people wore in this period was mostly worn at events and parties then in battle. This armor is heavily decorated and weighs around 30-80 lbs, plus it's not as thick and strong as the combat armor so it can't really protect knights from weapons. Knights also didn't wear this in battle because it was very hard to move in and see out of, and also it felt awkward to wear because of how weak it was. But this type of armor was good for parades and parties because they wore cool and funny masks of mythical characters for showing off. Also this armor was for mostly the rich people because of how expensive and formal it was, so this armor was basically only for showing off how much money you had. And not only knights were wearing parade armor but kids and even dogs were too; for the same reason to show how much money you had. But this period of armor didn't last as long as the combat or tournament armor.

The 3rd period of armor was tournament. In this period of armor people were no longer wearing armor in battle or armor for parades, but instead wearing armor for jousting. Unlike the combat armor which is very light this armor is much much heavier and weighs 80lbs and more, so it is very hard to move in. The reason it's so hard to move in is because it is very thick to protect the left side of the knight's torso and is used mostly for defensive purposes. But it is also used for jousting which is an event where two knights ride on horses and try to knock each other off with long lances. The armor worn in the jousting is made of hard steel to protect the knights from getting knocked off by lances. And the helmets used in jousting are almost closed so it's hard for the knights to see anything, plus its hard to breathe. So the tournament armor is good for jousting and other events but not for sword battles.

So now you can see the historic development of Armor during the combat, parade, and tournament periods. It started off with just a barrel helmet and some chain mail for protection and then knights added more and more armor to protect their elbows, knees, and legs. And then came the parade armor which was more decorative and rounded instead of sharp with funny helmets and masks to show off. And then comes much heavier armor for events and tournaments and used more defensively than battle armor. And the cycle of armor and protection today is almost the same because in World War 1 we wore battle armor again like helmets and chest protection and then in the Vietnam War we wore full body protection because we had powerful guns that without protection on your body would kill you. And now we are having less armor again besides maybe a bulletproof jacket and a helmet because the technology is changing so we'll either wear less or more protection. But no matter if we wear less or more protection from the 1400's to now, armor is going to be a very important part in battle, parades and events, and tournaments.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

Body

2        Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

1        Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

1       Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

2      Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3       Spelling

Comments: Excellent supporting details & explainations; you could have used more researched vocabulary. Good job setting the scene in the introduction, but you could have been clearer in the transistion (What can be learned at the museum).   You don't have a conclusion to the essay. The last paragraph has new topic and doesn't address at all the topic of the essay - (What can be learned at the Higgin's Museum).

Grade 

The Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, New Hampshire was built in 1930 by John Woodman Higgins. It was open to the public in 1931 as a place to put his collection of armour on display instead of sitting in his house. The museum has over 35 suits of armour in one hall. Someone could learn many things at this museum. One thing you could learn is the three major periods of armour, Battlefield, tournament, and decoration. Battlefield is used for combat or wars, Tournament is used for jousting, and decoration is used to show off ones wealth or as a modern day tuxedo. A person could learn many things at the Higgins Museum.

The first period of armour is the battlefield. Battlefield armour is used when fighting in a war or in combat. This type of armour was fairly light and very maneuverable so that the knight would be able to run and or walk comfortably. The battlefield armour consisted of a helmet which covered the head ears and nose, the eyes and check bones were the only parts exposed. There was also a breastplate to protect from shoulder to shoulder, and from the neck to the waist. At the waist the person had armour to cover the thigh area. At the knees there were joints, which were movable areas, just like in the elbows and shoulders. Below that were the greaves which protected the calf area. Underneath the armour soldiers wore thick clothes and a metal blanket type object incase a weapon went through the armour. The soldiers also carried with them a shield and some sort of weapon. Battlefield was the first period of armour.

Tournament was the second type of armour. Tournament was used for jousting. Jousting is when two riders on horseback run towards each other with two wooden poles and try to push the other rider off of his horse. The armour consisted of an upper section which protected from the neck to the waist. Also a lower section which protected the waist down was worn. The riders also carried a shield with them. The armour was very heavy because the riders did not need to move themselves around. The horses were considered just as important as the rider because they couldn’t do the sport without the horse. Therefore the horses were somewhat armored too. They had a shield covering their face and a blanket over their whole body for decoration.

The third and final period of armour was decoration. Decoration armour was worn out at parties and to show off how filthy rich you were. Some people bought armour for their six year old kids who were going to outgrow it in two years. Some people even bought armour for their precious little puppies too. The armour was the same as battlefield armour only much newer looking and nicer kept. It also had many decorations on it. Some were engraved and others were painted on. Decoration was the third and final period of armour.

In conclusion one can learn many things at the Higgins Armory Museum. One thing they can learn is the three types of armour battlefield, tournament, and decoration. Battlefield is used in wars or combat. Tournament is used in jousting or other sports. Finally decoration is used to tell how wealthy one is or a modern day tux. The Higgins armory museum has a lot of information about armour.

The Higgins Museum If one was to compare the designs of armor that are used today, and the designs of armor used back in the Middle Ages, Greek and Roman times, we can see the similarity of self-protection. If you are curious about this transformation, then a visit to Higgins's Armory Museum should be on your 'to do' list. It is one of the most impressive collections of actual armor and artifacts, and the biggest private collection in the world! To think, something of such historical importance is right in New England, just a quick ride off the highway in Worcester, Massachusetts. The founder, John Higgins, began to find his fortune in his steel company. Later, when he gained enough money, he and his wife spent the rest of their lifetime collecting armor, weapons and information. In 1929, he built a four story building to store everything after he and his wife had been living with the armor in their house. The building itself was designed in a Gothic style. This form of architecture allows in more light, and is pointed upward because the people wanted to go to heaven. On John Higgins' death in 1961, the building was given to the public. Information in the Higgins's Museum is plentiful, from the types of armor that were used, to the designs of each type, and to the weapons used by and against the knights. There are three major categories. First, for show, second for tournaments such as jousting, and third for battle. Usually when a rich lord or king wanted to show off their wealth, they would turn to "parade" armor. This type of armor was heavily decorated, and usually was up-to-date with the latest fashion. Some went as far as engraving the metal with various stories, or pictures, like one of the Lords of Germany in the 1600's. This specific piece of armor is the most valuable in the entire Higgins Museum. It is worth nearly eighty million dollars, as well as considered priceless. Armor was also used for tournaments. Jousting was one of the most popular games in the Middle Ages. Two men on horses, covered head to toe in what was around 100 pounds of armor, would come running at each other on horses while pointing wooden sticks at one another. The players were most likely to fall off the horse, so, they needed a lot of protection. Their helmets or helms had just a sliver of visible area and if the wooden sticks, also known as polls, pierced through, the splinters from them go flying every were. And their chest plates were double plated because the wooden poll was to hit them there. Armor was mainly used for battle. Mostly the rich, or people who could afford the armor wore it. During the sixteenth century, the wealthy would wear decorative armor to battle so enemies could tell them apart from the poor peasants. Unfortunately, this tactic didn't always work as well. Since the enemies could tell the rich from the poor, if they captured the rich, they would get a higher ransom for the family. By the 1680's, there wasn't any armor worn to battle at all. In order to protects the vulnerable points of the body that the armor had not been able to cover, knights covered gaps with chain mail. Some put steel plating over the chain mail to make it extra durable and have less of a chance of penetrating to the skin. Both the chain mail and steal plating alone were weighed up to 15-30 pounds, and 40-50 pounds in the thirteenth century. Chain mail had both it's pros and cons. A good side to it would be that it last through sword slashes, and it was light weight compared it the steal armor. As everything, it had a bad side, fauchards, or spears could go right through the mail if were thrown hard enough. Steel plated armor, on the other hand, was not light weight, and spears had less of a chance of piercing through. This type of armor was easy to work in, it had joints that over lapped each other so the knight would be able to move around. Because of these handy abilities, steel plated armor was used for nearly three hundred years. Fonding just the right weapons to kill a knight was difficult. They had thick and strong armor, and rode on swift horses. Footmen had to adapt their weapons to this challenge. Then they came out with different ways to hook onto a knight and pull him down off of his horse, and techniques of keeping a weapon strong. An example of this would be when a knight needed to find a way of stabilizing or strengthening the spear, they would stick it into the ground and step on the ground that was bracing the spear. That way when the enemy knight came charging toward him, he could jump away so he wouldn't get hit. In the 15th Century, knights used cross bows, although they weren't very affective, groups of men carrying these would shoot at the same time making a shower of arrows on the enemy. Also, three pronged infantry spears were used. They were the tool that hooked onto the knight so the attacker could yank him off of their horse. Glaves were used in battle as well. They were long spears with a knife-like blade, these spears could pierce through steal armor and kill the knight, making the job of killing the knight easier. The knight on horse back used many similar weapons against others. Although it might have seemed hard to hold a spear while riding a horse, well it was. The riders had made it easier by wearing a holder under their arm so they could have the spear stay put and not have to divert as much attention to it as before. It wasn't easy to kill a knight as you may now know. All of these weapons were modified to kill the knight, one of the most important jobs of a battle-man. Armor and weapons were essential in the Medieval times. The weapons and sharp and effective, and did their job. Armor back then was like owning your very own Ferrari nowadays. You could deck it out in practically anyway.There certainly is a difference between the armor used today and the armor that was used "back in the day". Full body armor is not used, and spears and swords aren't a common as before. This information is just a mere example of what can be seen and learned a the Higgins's Museum, from the fascinating exhibits to the great tour guides. Go see for yourself! TJJO

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

1         Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

Conclusion

3      Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3         Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3        Spelling

3       Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Good overall format to the essay. Excellent supporting details, but you could have used more research vocabulary to add depth to the piece. The introduction give the background, but you should have stated the topic of the body paragraphs at the end of the paragraph You have some organization issues in the first body paragraph. Deal which each sub-topic one at a time, don't jump back and forth. The conclusion brings good closure, but bring in new information not stated in the body (Never new info in a conclusion.)

Higgins Armory Essay

The Higgins Armory Museum has the largest private collection of medieval items in the world. The Armory is a great experience for young and old minds alike. In the Higgins Armory Museum they teach you about all different kinds and styles of armor. In the first 20 minutes you can learn the Three different types of armor.

The first type of armor is Combat armor. This is the armor used in battle and war. Combat armor consists of A breast plate, Helmet, Cod Piece, Chain Mail, Arm Guards, Leg guards, shoe guards, a shield, sword, lance or other weapons. Though this armor was extremely heavy it was still possible to run, jump, jog and even crawl. The armor until earlier times was put on heavily and would stop a good blow from an opponent. This armor was very effective.

The next type is Tournament armor. This armor was used for Horse jousting and foot jousting. This armor consists of a very thick breast plate, a helmet that you had to lean forward to see through it. They have this so splinters cant fly through the hole and injure the opponent. The armor also consists of thick arm and leg guards and the last piece was the large chest/arm guard. This was a Thick plate of armor with a spike in the center. The center was used to aim at by the opponent if they hit this with the lance it would shatter and that was a good thing. That is the reason for the design of the helmet.those are the basics of tournament armor.

The last type and most popular armor was the parade/party armor. This consisted of all the same things that the combat armor has but is very much more intricate and designed. Suits like this were only owned by rich people showing off or royalty. One suit depending on the size could span from $100,000- upwards of $900,000. These suits were made for young children, babies and even pets. As you can see these people were RICH.

The Higgins Armory Museum is a wonderful experience and is recommended for everyone. If one day you decide to go you will be more than pleased. The museum is loaded with all kind of Combat, Parade, and tournament armor. Those are some good reasons that you can visit the Higgins Armory Museum, thanks for reading.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

2 Gave the reader background and general information about the museum --- set the scene.

2 Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

2 Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

Conclusion

2 Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

2 Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

3 Spelling

Comments: Your essay has correct format and the information is well organized. This piece needed more of everything(especially for a major assignment).

More background about the museum in the introduction and a more detailed transition to the body topic. More explanation, supporting details and research vocabulary. More recap and summary in the conclusion.

The Higgins armory museum is a very good museum if you love to learn about armor. The Higgins has armor from the 1500's to the roman years. ?The building was built for Mr. Higgins to put all of his collection or armory in. In the museum, you learn about the history of armor from ancient Rome to Greece. There all all different types of armor. Like, tournament, Combat and Decorative.

The tournament is a type of armor that is used for display and to show how much money you had. The kings would were this kind of armor when they went to parities just to show that they had more money so they could afforded this expensive piece of armor. In this type or armor you don't have very good flexibility and it weighs about 80 to 100 pounds. The tournament armor also didn't have very good visibility but did have very good defensive. If the armor was used during battle, it has good, thick metal and also very heavy metal.

Another type of armor is combat. Combat armor is used for when they fought in the wars. The combat had good defence, flexibility and flexibility. The combat armor weighs from 45-80 pounds. It has about 200 pieces of metal put together. The helmet had adequate visibility and ventilation also. Along with the body armor, they had a combat lance. The lance was 10-14 feet long.

The last type of armor is the decorative. The decorative had very good visibility and flexibility but not good defence. This type of armor weighed about 20-70 pounds. The decorative type of armor was only worn at parades, court events and ceremonies. Instead of having a lot of body protection it had more artistic design. The cost of this suit was about one fourth of a knights salary.

Other than the three types of armor that are at the museum, they have a lot more information there. You can learn so much from just one visit. You also can learn about why some of the armor from the 1500's had points on there shoes and more about the different types of armor. The Higgins Armory Museum is worth a stop to learn so much on armor from the past.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

Introduction

1 Gave the reader background and general information about the museum --- set the scene.

Body

Conclusion

Structure

3 Spelling

Comments: The overall format to the essay is good. You have good supporting details in the body (sentence 1 in the first paragraph is not correct information), but lack researched vocabulary called for in the directions. The introduction needed more background infromation about the museum to set the scene for the body. Your conclusion brings closure, but doesn't sum up the museum and the things that can be learned from a visit.

Article posted April 19, 2010 at 02:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 81

John Woodman Higgins created a museum with armor from different places.  It was created in 1929 in Worcester, Massachussets.  John Higgins started collecting armor and then put it all in the museum.  He put in 3,000 armors, and 1,000 weapons.        

There are three types of armor.  One of them is called combat.  Combat is plate armor.  There is chain mail under all the armor.  If they were hit by a sword where the chain mail is, it wouldn't cut it but the person would feel the force of the hit.  Chin mail is heavy and with all teh other armor on its even more heavy.  Another typeof armor is parade.  Parade aromor is for partys.  If you have this armor t is also thicker than combat which means its heavier.

Armor went from almost full body armor to no armor.  In the 1400's knights had almost full body armor.  They had a few spots that were open.  In the 1500's they had full body armor.  In the late 1500's or early 1600's they had no armor.  The reason they had no armor was because there were guns and knights had guns.  The bullet would penetrate the armor so it was pointless.  

Knights had different types of weapons that they used.  If horses with knights on them were charging at them then the knights would use long pointy spears so that it would either kill the horse so the knight would fall off or they would kill the knight then only the horse would live which wasn't a threat.  If they were right in the battle thery would have swords so they could watch their front, back and both sides.  Then knights with guns would stand a little back so they wouldn't get killed by swords.

The Higgins armory is a place that is for learning about the knights and armor that warriors used.  It is a fun experiance to learn about all the different armors and weapons that knights used.    

Article posted April 19, 2010 at 12:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 91

The seventh grade took a fieldtrip to the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, Massachusetts.  The Higgins Armory Museum holds one of the best collections of historic arms and armors in the world.  At the museum, we learned the history of armory, knights, weapons, interesting styles, and more.  Mr. Higgins collected armor from long ago which is displayed in the museum.  We took fascinating notes and facts in our research journals as we toured the museum.  Throughout this essay, you will learn about the collections inside of the Higgins Armory Museum.

There are three major periods of armor; one of them is parade armor.  Parade armor is worn to show people that you have money and are wealthy.  People would wear it at special occasions, and just if they want to show off.  The parade armor is like a party suit, and it has a unique face.  The face of the armor has a wide mouth, stubby nose, and big eyes.  The parade armor was very expensive to get, and sometimes unnecessary to buy.  It was usually too weak to deflect weapons or too awkward to wear in the battle and it weighed around thirty to eighty pounds.

Another type of armor is the tournament armor.  That armor weighed about ninety pounds.  The helmet of the tournament armor has holes at the eyes so that they could see what they were doing.  But the armor did not permit much freedom of moving.  The knights would wear the armor for protection when they are jousting.  Jousting is when there are two knights on horses charging at each other with spears.  The joust ends when one of them gets knocked off, or down.

The last type of important and major pieces of armor is the combat armor.  The combat armor was a piece that was made for war and was very strong.  It has joints in the armor so that you could move with it.  The joints would let you run, jump, walk, and practically let you do anything in the armor.  It is a very important piece of armor because it lets you move and run with the joints.  It also has smooth, glancing surfaces to deflect the weapons.  The combat armor was relatively lightweight weighing around forty five to seventy pounds.

You just learned about the three major periods of armor including parade, tournament, and combat.  Those were just the major pieces, and there are many others in the Higgins Museum and all around the world.  They differ in why you wear them up to what you can do in them.  Hopefully you can pass along this history of armor and visit the Higgins Armory Museum.

At the Higgins Armory in Worcester Massachusetts, visitors can see a wide array of armor. If  a person wants to learn about every type of armor in a short amount of time, they can focus on the three major types that were used in the Middle Ages. These three types of armor are combat, tournament and decorative armor. Each one serves a different purpose.

The first type of armor is combat. Combat armor was used in wars and battlefields. It consists of over 200 pieces of armor with lots of moving joints so that the person inside can move with partial mobility. It weighs about 45 to 80 pounds which makes it the second to lightest armor next to the decorative armor. Ventilation was very important because when you were walking in a hot climate or fighting for a long period of time, you needed to be cool.  Combat armor was immune to many weapons like spears and swords. Certain spears, called lances, were big and sharp enough to puncture combat armor. Other types of weapons that could kill a knight were crossbows and muskets.

The next major type of armor was tournament armor. This armor was used for jousting and fighting games. The flexibility in this suit was very poor because the armor had to be rigid when being hit with a lance. Tournament armor was the heaviest type of armor out of all the three weighing in at 80 to 100 pounds. Despite the bad flexibility, it was the thickest  most defensive type out of the three. The chest plating and shoulder armor was extra thick to deflect the blows of a lance. The visibility of the visor was very poor because in order to protect the face from splinters and strikes from lances, it needed to be free of big gaps and holes.

The last type of armor was decorative. Decorative armor acts as a status symbol for people. It was for showing off and showing people how rich you were. This armor was very expensive and wealthy people would get them custom made. Etching, embossing, engraving, blueing and gilding were some of the methods used on this armor to decorate it. Weighing in at 20 to 70 pounds, it was the lightest type of armor out of the three. It did not have to be made out of strong and heavy materials. It provided almost no physical protection and was more focused on decorative designs. Despite this armor's poor protective features, it's visibility and flexibility were excellent.

As you go through each type of armor, it's use is different from the other. Ever since medieval times, armor has evolved from armor plated knights and horses to what we use for protection today. Today, we use armor made out off light weight materials and strong fabrics that can stop bullets. We also use armor for different purposes. We are putting armor on tanks and vehicles to protect people and valuable items. Even the strength of armor has changed. This is happening because as we invent stronger weapons, people have to find stronger materials to stop them. As long as people can think of new ways to make weapons stronger, armor will continually evolve to keep things safe.