MSLU-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Title: NASA's Moon Rocks (11/06/09)
Description: Ms. Adams was able to get the lunar samples on loan for our school. We were able to view them under the microscope even though they are encased in lucite.

Recently, we had the Moon rocks in our classroom.

Article posted November 6, 2009 at 06:22 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 64

My seventh grade got a great experience, we got to real moon rocks. Now don't get me wrong we expected huge rock to hold in our hands in stead we got little samples of the rocks. We got them for one week and we shared them with schools that we kinda know so it was very cool we got about 6 different samples and we got to look at them with a few things. It was a very fun experience for us we were very excited about it even thow we had them for a week we got a one in a life time thing. I would like to thank my teacher and the people from nasa that helped us learn more about them by sending us those rocks thanks.

During science class we were able to observe rocks from the moon. The moon rocks were very small, and they came in a disc. Six samples of moon rocks were included. We looked at the moon rocks under a microscope. I expected that the moon rocks would be mainly white, but I was incorrect. There was only one type of white rock included, it was called anorthosite. Most of the rocks were black, but there was one rock with an orange tinge.

When we had learned about the moon rocks we made a video call with a class in California. We taught the students about some of the basic moon facts. We were able to show the students live images of the moon rocks while we described information.

Our school had a harvest festival. At the harvest festival we had large telescopes that focused on the moon. We also had the moon rocks on display so that many people could observe them.

We made a request to NASA to be lent some moon rocks to study in science class. Our request was granted, so we just had to wait until they came. At first we thought that the rocks would be big enough to hold in the palm of a hand, however they were actually about a cubic centimeter large, and they were covered in a glass case. We were still able to view them through a microscope, which proved to be quite a sight! We were given 3 main rocks, each one was part of the different elevations of the moon. My favorite moon rock was an all white one that actually has some oxygen inside, giving it some of that white color. It is very bumpy, although all of the bumps are rounded. Besides the actual rocks, we were given 3 samples of soil from the different parts of the moon. One sample of soil has a mysterious orange shade, and all of the soil is very jagged, as there is no wind or water to round out the corners. Overall, I think the moon rocks were a complete success.

In science class we learned about the moon rocks. The rocks were in a glass plate so the rocks wouldn't break.

Some moon rocks were different than I expected. Some were gray and black and there was orange sand. It was really strange because most people think the moon rocks are white and gray not orange and black.

We spoke with a class in Cupertino, California. They thought it was very interesting that we had the moon rocks in our school. They asked some questions and we answered them. We also showed them the Moon rocks through a webcam and Skype. That class was interesting because they spoke Chinese for part of the day at their school. They even taught us some Chinese.

In science we were very lucky to have moon rocks. They came in very small samples and were hard to see without a microscope. We also talked to Chinese students who spoke English too. We talked about the moon rocks. The Chinese school was in California. We were able to communicate with them through Skype. It was fun to have seen the moon rocks. Only very few schools get to see them. I think we are very lucky.

There are 3 rocks and 3 solids on the lunar sample. The 3 rocks are Basalt, Breccia, Anorthosite. The 3 solids are Mare,Highlands,Orange.

NASA had actually ordered the astronaut back into the lunar module and didn't want him to go after the orange soil because he was running low on air. The astronaut went and got it anyway because he thought it was interesting. He took a chance doing that, but because of him, we got to see something that we would never have seen.

Thanks for reading,

Hrma

We had Moon rocks in our class for a week. It was so nice to have the honor to have them.  It was fun learning about the Moon rocks.

We did three things with them. We taught another class about the moon rocks.  We looked at them under a microscope. We got to have the rocks for an entire week.  We were lucky because we Skyped with a school in California.  Thank you to NASA for letting us use the rocks. 

For just about a week at school we were able to see the rock that have been on the Moon for millions of years. It is a thing that almost nobody in the world will get to say that they did that. When we saw the rocks they were not as impressive as you would think but you have to remember that they came from an object about 240 thousand miles away. Although we did not get them for to long, at least another school is enjoying them.

Article posted November 10, 2009 at 02:00 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

The moon rocks are so cool and there were little. When we got the moon rocks I thought we could hold them ,but it was cool any way to see them. I thought the colors were cool and some the rocks looked like they were rough and smooth. My science teacher got them because we were studying the moon in science .The color was so cool it was black with spots and the solid black and the other one was white.

We saw five moon rocks. One of the moon basalt so it look like it was glimmering.

A lunar sample came to our science a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty cool to be able to see rocks that are really from the moon. I expected the Moon rocks to be a lot bigger than just a little samples. The Moon rocks are kept in a glass disk. There were six different Moon samples they were, Basalt, Breccia, Anorthosite, Mare soil, Highland soil and Orange soil. The samples were a different little rocks and soil from the Moon. All samples are different colors because they are from different parts of the Moon like the highland soil is lighter than the Mare soil.

When I saw the moon rocks it was very interesting to see. Not many people get to see rocks up that close. I almost touched them it was just less then a inch away. My favorite was anorthosite, because it was white and looked very interesting. I am very pleased that our teacher had moon rocks for us to see. I thought the moon rock were going to be huge but we got tiny ones, even though they were small I know that I will never go on the moon so it was very cool to see and touch the moon rocks

Thank you Mrs. Adams

The Moon Rocks

By, CSMA

Having the moon rocks in our classroom was an amazing experience. It very interesting to see and hold a piece of the moon! We learned so much about the moon so we could know exactly what the moon rocks were made of. We learned that the moon rocks were made of Basalt, Breccia, Anorthosite. Basalst is made of crystals, and is usually a dark igneous rock. Breccia is a combination of different kinds of rock. Anthrosite is white, and mostly made of feldspar. Anthrosite is more than four billion years old! It was formed when the moon was young, and was made when crystals floated to the surface, and, well, crystallized. We learned about the moon in many different ways. We had a guest speaker come in and show us a slide show all about the moon! We did a scavenger hunt during class to learn more facts about the moon. Having the moon rocks in our own classroom was a wonderful experience to learn about Earth's natural satellite, the Moon.

MOON ROCKS

Getting to see moon rocks in a museum is cool, getting to see moon rocks under special supervision in the school is cooler and getting to have moon rocks in your class room only with your teacher and the class is awesome! That's what I got to experience, seeing moon rocks in my class room! How often does a teacher say “we're going to see moon rocks for our unit on the moon.” Now everyone including me were expecting a giant boulder of a rock but instead, when Mrs. Adams opened up the “Deal or no Deal” metal case, there were just pebbles and sand encased in a Lucite glass disc! I guess the fact that these pebbles and sand came from the moon compensated for the fact that they were so small. Different rocks had different stories of how they were made. So they all were very interesting in the end and I take back my comments on how small they were. I mean it is one small step for man but a giant leap for mankind when it comes to collecting these samples.

NASA lent our school Moon rocks. They were really cool, but most of them looked like rocks you would find here on earth. My favorite rock was called basalt. Basalt looked like there was fluffy snow in it. I'm glad that we got to see the Moon rocks because I probably won't see them ever again. This was a one in a life time opportunity and I'm glad my teacher got to bring them to our school. Thanks NASA!

I will start by guessing that you have probably don't know much about the moon rocks. So I will tell you what I know about them. You probably thought that the moon rocks where going to be like a hand size big. Well that's what I thought. They actually came in a circular piece of plastic the size of your hand. The moon rocks where only the size of half of my fingernail!Some of the facts I learned about them is that the breccia rock is a dark colored rock. The breccia was at one a huge rock but over time broke up in to smaller pieces. The Basalt rock was at once a melted rock like lava. It was found on the highlands of the moon. The color of the rocks is white, black and green. The mare soil was made by 2 meteorites strike at each other and make little bits of mare soil. It is also rich in iron. I hope you learned a little bit of info on the moon rocks. I know I did!

Recently, we had rocks from our moon in our classroom. There were six different samples in a round, plexi-glass casing. There was a white rock, Anorthosite, a black rock, Breccia, a dark rock with some lighter parts in it, Basalt, and 3 different soil samples: Mare Soil, Highland Soil, and Orange Soil.  The dark spots that you see on the moon are called maria. People used to think they were seas when they looked at them from the ground, so they all have names such as the Sea of Tranquility. One of the Apollo missions gathered soil samples from one of these maria. It is darker than the others.It is aptly named Mare Soil. The Highlands soil is from the white part of the moon, also known as the Highlands. It is lighter than the Mare Soil.

It was very interesting having something  from the moon in our classroom. Here is a picture.

Hey did you know that these rocks came from NASA! Wow! These rocks travels hundreds of miles. Amazing.

In class, we've been learning about moons so I thought I should do some research about since I'll be having a test on it, and this is what i discovered. Did you know that the moon can look different every night well its true? There are different settings or phases of the moon it could be a quarter, cresent, or gibbous moon. You see every night while our planet is revolving around the moon, the sun is reflecting light onto the moon. But the reason why we don't see the whole is because of where we are looking at the moon. Well that was interesting for me to learn and help me on the quiz. You can learn more about the moon by getting a telescope in your back yard.

For a couple days we had real Moon rocks at our school. When I think of Moon rocks, and I think I speak for most people too, we imagine big rocks like ones you can hold, right? But, we are wrong. Moon rocks are actually about the size of a pebble, and they are in a glass container with plastic surrounding the glass. The Moon rocks came in a case with really squishy foam in it and it had locks. Also my science teacher had to take special classes to get it. She also had to take it to the bathroom with her and when she went to bed she had to put it in a safe, and hide it, so they went to extremes to keep them safe. But they looked really cool and we got to look through a telescope for our harvest festival. It was really fun!

This above is a picture of Moon rocks that NASA let us use for a while. It was really awesome to think that we had a piece of the Moon in our hands. It was fun to learn about the Moon and also space. We studied the rocks and found some very interesting things. It was really fun and interesting to see the Moon rocks.

These are the Moon rocks that Ms. Adams got from the government. They're kind of disappointing with their size, but they were still none-the-less awesome

These are real moon rocks in my classroom. There are six different rocks. 3 soils and 3 solid rocks.

Article posted November 6, 2009 at 03:18 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

In science class we got to hold part of the moon! A few rocks just look like any other rocks that you could find in your backyard. The other ones are really cool, some are really light colored and others are dark like other rocks. My favorite rock was anorthosite. It was a really light colored rock, it was almost white. another one of my favorite rocks was a dark one that was shiny this was called Basalt.

This is a piece of the moon!

This is a moon rock under a microscope. It is called Basalt and was formed millions of years ago.

This is a picture of Basalt from Nasa's moon rocks. The moon rocks were given to our 7th grade science teacher through NASA. They are rocks from the moon. There were 6 different samples including Basalt (above)

Our school had the opportunity to have actual rocks from the Moon! They came in small pieces in a glass disc. We got different particles from different rocks. It was a really fun experience and a great learning experience. I feel very fortunate that this happened to our school. Thank you NASA!

Our school had the opportunity to get actual rocks from the Moon. The rocks came in small particles in a glass disc. One of the rocks that we got was Basalt. It is lunar and dark. Another rock that we got was Breccia. It is made from when the Moon's surface and a meteorite collide. Another rock was Anorthosite. It is a white rock that is made from feldspar. The Moon rocks were a great learning learning experience.

There is no air on the moon. Astronauts go to the moon. They have to wear suits because they can't breathe. They use an oxygen machine in the suits.

The moon looks white and grey. There are different kind of rocks on the moon. There aren't any oceans on the moon, but there are places called seas. I got to see moon rocks. They were grey. The astronauts brought them back. Someone from NASA delivered the rocks to my teacher. They were in a grey box.

I like moon rocks. They're the best thing in the world!

The moon rocks were very cool. Even though I was expecting something bigger it was soo cool. They looked a lot like rocks on earth. But the soil looks different. We got 3 different rocks. Basalt, Breccia, and Anorthosite. There were also 3 different soils Mare Soil, highland Soil, and orange soil. To me the orange soil didn't look orange.

We  have moon rocks in class.                

Recently we had the moon rocks in class.

Recently we have had some Moon rocks in our science class room.

Recently, we had the Moon rocks in class

Recently we had some moon rocks in our classroom.

Recently we had moon rocks.

Recently, we have had the moon rocks in class

We've had moon rocks in our classroom.

We recently had the Moon rocks in our classroom. This is the disk that they came in.

Recently we had Moon rocks in our Science class.

We recently had the Moon rocks.

Recently we had the Moon Rocks in our class room.

Recently, we had the Moon rocks in class.

Recently, we had Moon rocks in class.

We had the Moon rocks in class.

Recently, we learned about moon rocks in our classroom.

This type of moon rock is orange soil it is made from volcanic ash.

We did research recently on Moon rocks that we had in our classroom.

In science class, we had these moon rocks to look at.

Recently, we had the moon rocks in our classroom. These are the voicethreads.

Recently, we were lucky enough to have some Moon rocks at our classroom.

For about a week, we had real Moon rocks in our classroom.

Recently we had the Moon Rocks in our classroom.

We had the moon rocks in class.

We had the Moon rocks in our class!

We had Moon rocks in class.

We had the Moon Rocks in class.

Recently, we were lucky enough to have Moon Rocks in our classroom!

In our class we have recently done some research on Moon Rocks.

We recently had the moon rocks in our classroom.

We just had the Moon rocks in our classroom

.

For green class:

Recently we had moon rocks in our class.

Rcently, we had moon rocks in class

Recently we had the Moon rocks in our classroom.

Recently, we had Moon rocks in our classroom.

We had the moon rocks in class.

We had the Moon rocks in class.

We had the moon rocks in class.

Recently we had the Moon Rocks in class

We had Noon rocks in  class

Recently we had the Moon rocks in our classroom!

Recently we had the moon rocks in our classroom.

Recently, we had the Moon Rocks in class.

We had the Moon rocks in are class room!!!

Recently, we had Moon Rocks in our classroom

We recently had some Moon rocks in our class room.

Recently we had the moon rocks in class

Recently we had Moon rocks in our class room.

Recently, we had Moon rocks in our class room.

We had the moon rocks in class!

Recently, we have had the Moon rocks  in our classroom.

We had the Moon rocks in class.

Recently, we had the Moon rocks in our classroom

We had the Moon Rocks in class.

We had the moon rocks in class.

Recently we had the Moon rocks in class. 

We recently had moon rocks in our class

Recently,we had the Moon rocks in our classroom.

Recently, we had moon rocks in our classroom.

We had the Moon rocks in class.

Recently we had the moon rocks in class

.

Moon Rocks were in our class.

Recently we had the Moon rocks here in our classroom!

Recently we had Moon rocks in our classroom.

We had Moon rocks in class.

For blue class:

We had Moon rocks in class.

Recently, we had the moon rocks in our classroom.

.

Recently we had the moon rocks in the class.

Recently, we had the moon rocks in class.

We have  the Moon rocks in class.

We had Moon rocks in class.

Recently our classroom got Moon Rocks.