Copyright (c) 2014 by CJFA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
CJFA -- Blogmeister

CJFA

Class of 2012-2013

by CJFA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

We had to write a 5 paragraph essay comparing the culture of Romans and Germans.

German v.s. Roman 5 Paragraph Essay

Germans lived inside and in Rome’s boundaries but considered themselves Germans not even a little bit Roman. German minded their own business. These are the things that I am going to compare Germans lived in villages were Romans lived in large cities. Germans were more of a tribal like society compared to the Romans were they were a empire. German law was also very different compared to Roman law. German soldiers compared to Roman soldiers were also very different in many ways.

Germans were more of a tribal like society compared to the Roman Empire, Germans were divided up into small little clans or a groups of family members were Rome was one big society. Germans lived in small little huts were half of the hut was divided up and used to stall their animals that they had were the other half was the family's living quarters. Romans usually lived in small apartments in the city called islands the higher up you lived or the higher the floor you lived on the less rent you had to pay.

German law was also very different from Roman Law, in German law if you commited a crime you some type of cruel punishment and then be free to go but sometimes you could also have to pay a fine. If you were high up in society or were wealthy you could pay a lot of money on top of your fine and not have to receive any punishment. Roman law was very different, in Roman law you were punished either way and could have stuff taken away from them such as your house and land could be sold and money was also taken away from you and sometimes if it was a really bad crime you committed you had to become a slave.

German soldiers fought more of a man to man battle or maybe would fight in a group of 2 or 3. They would just fight is one big group but went totally wild and did whatever they wanted to destroy the enemy. If a Roman soldier did that or fought in that style they would be punished severely. Roman soldiers fought in one big group named the Phalanx and would never fight in small little groups or one on one. If you fought that way were running around people would think you were scared or were running away.

Germans and Roman were very different from the way they lived to the way they fought their wars. They were also as different when it came to punishing their own criminals.
Those are some of the differences between the Germanic Tribes and the Roman Empire.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 08:08 AM • comment • Reads 153 • see all articles