HSRO

Title: Other Worlds (10/21/10)
Description: Mr. Gianforte came to school to share the methods scientists and backyard astronomers use to find other planets around other stars.

When Mr. Gianforte came to our school to talk about the planets I learned a lot. It was very interesting. Space is very complicated and I wish we knew more about it. Listening to Mr. Gianforte I learned many things. One was how astronauts find planets. One way is that they watch the pattern of a stars light and if there are small breaks in it occasionally than they know that there is a planet revolving around it. Planets that aren’t in our solar system are called exoplanets. I think it is amazing that astronomers can find a planet that is millions of miles away. He also taught us about the stars and the universe. He taught us that the universe is always expanding but it does end eventually. I wish astronomers knew what was beyond the universe, because I want to know what is out there. He also told us that there are billions of stars in our universe. I want to know where all of the stars came from. Space is a very amazing subject that we know a lot about but there is so much out there that we don’t know yet. That is what would make me want to be an astronomer. I think space is so fascinating and I am really glad Mr. Gianforte came in to talk to us.

Today during Science our class went down to the cafeteria and learned about space and the solar systems with Mr. Gianforte. We learned mostly about exoplanets, and how they were discovered. There are 494 known exoplanets in the universe. There are many technologies used to find the faraway planets. Radial Velocity method is one way to discover the small planets. These planets are so far away, you can't just see them with any telescope. We are trying to discover other worlds that are habitable for human life, so they have to be relatively close to their sun, or they would be too cold to live. They just recently discovered a planet that seems just like earth, with the right climate and conditions for humans. He also taught us that on September 29, 2010 they announced that a goldilocks (planet that is not too hot, not too cold) planet was discovered. It is the most earthly planet we've discovered yet. The only problem is that it's hundreds of light years away. Another thing I found very interesting was that the universe has an end. That was the most surprising news that I learned.

Mr. Gianforte's astronomy presentation was so interesting and I learned so much! It is so cool how you figure out where distant solar systems are by the way they overlap distant stars! It is so cool that you have pursued the dream of being an astronomer from when you were little. I can't believe there are 443 extrasolar planets! It really made me feel tiny the way you explained how huge all the planets were and it really put me in perspective. It's crazy how expensive all the equipment (telescopes) is! That was such a cool presentation!

When Mr. Gianforte , kindly, came to our school to talk to us about astronomy being an astronomer he knew a lot about the subject. Knowing that there are so many planets out there makes me wonder if there is any more life out there. Whenever I think about how big the universe is it makes me feel so small compared to everything else around me. I really liked learning about astronomy because I always thought about the stars and what planets they are and what they look like up close.

My favorite part of the astronomy talk was when he was talking about the intergalactic space. He said that there might be a lot of empty space beyond what we know is there. I was really intrigued when he said that the universe might only be a small part of something even bigger then what we could ever imagine and now I think about that all of the time.

When Mr. Gianforte came into school to talk about space and stars I learned many things. One thing I learned was that we are not the only universe but there are many more. It was very interesting to think/learn about how we may not be the only humans out there. There could be living things looking for us as we look for them. Mr. Gianforte also taught us about how the stars are so big but we can't see them that big because we are so far away that they look like a spic. Also he talked about there might be a new planet, this is interesting/exciting for everyone because it opens up new possibilities. When Mr. Gianforte came in I think it was a huge part in helping us understand space a little bit more.

I think I really learned a lot from when Mr. Gianforte came and taught us about what an astronomer does daily. I never even knew that there even was an outer solar system. But I most definitely did not know that there was so many different planets, that are huge and you can see them through a little telescope. I also learned that the littlest telescope can see pretty far. He taught us about orbits and so many other things.

Mr. Gianforte

I learned so much when he came, like how every day people discover new planets! Some of my favorite things I learned about where, How big and how small telescopes can be! Also I learned about stars and planets and how far other planets are from us! We also got to see a cool slide show about orbits and other cool things he taught us about. It looked hard to be an astronomer, but fun at the same time. Also he told us how some days you can't look into the sky and see the stars because it's too cloudy! It was really fun!

Mr. Gianforte came to our school and talked to us about space and stars in our universe. I learned a lot about planets,stars and radial velocity method. I also learned about exosolar planets and that there are 443 of them. There are a lot of galaxies and that there are other universes outside of our solar system. I thought it was really interesting and I would love to learn more about it.

Mr. Gianforte's presentation about other worlds was very interesting! I was very happy when he told us about Astronomy Magazine because I may subscribe. I also enjoyed the fact that he "mixed it up" this year with topics, because for the last two years the topic has been star size compairison. I enjoyed the part about how we discover new planets. I hope we discover some life inhabiting planets close to us soon! I also learned that the Earth and other planets tug on the Sun, that was very interesting. I greatly look forward to next year's presentation!

The other day Mr.Gianforte came into our school and taught us about space. I was really excited because we are learning about space in our classroom and I find it interesting. He taught us a lot of new information that was very useful to use in class. One of the things he taught us was how scientists use the gravitational pull of other planet to slingshot the spaceships back to earth. This fact caught my eye because I really had no idea that the gravitational pull could slingshot a tiny little ship all the way back to earth. I found that really cool. Another thing I learned was that there are other stars with other mini planets circling the star just like our galaxy. I also learned more about planet X they actually found another planet but it is to small to be interfering Neptune's rotation. They think it is planet X. I learned so much from his lesson and I want to thank him for him teaching me so much I really enjoyed his lecture.

A little awhile ago at my school I learned a lot about finding planets from a man named Mr. Gianforte. When he came I learned so much about planets that you can see so many things with just using your telescopic outside.

I learned that there are were around 490 planets wow that a lot I thought when he told me. Hey did you know that there are planets bigger than Jupiter just I didn't until Mr. Gianforte told me. I learned so much from him I can't wait to try to look for one of the 490 planets by myself.

We had a assembly one day when Mr. Gianforte came to visit our school to teach us more about space and tell us about more discoveries. He came in and started to tell us how scientists discover planets, he told us the have to use a camera that is up in space because are atmosphere makes every thing we see in space blurry, that's why there is a twinkle when you look at a star. So when they get the description of it, they can tell if its a planet or not.

I enjoyed Mr. Gianforte's presentation, I learned a lot. The thing that I most enjoyed was learning about the different galaxies. I also enjoyed when he showed us his pictures through his telescope. I think that it was interesting to show us all the pictures that he had found. It also interested me to find out that Mr. Gianforte worked with the telescope at the University of New Hampshire (UNH). That is what I learned from Mr.Gianforte's presentation.

Dear Mr.Gianforte,

I hope that you come back sometime because I learned a bunch I would've never known, like that stars have planets. Even though not all stars have planets , only some but its still cool. Astronomy is really interesting I love it, so thanks.

You should move your observatory so it's not in the forest. You could learn a lot more if you moved your observatory and then when/if you come back then you can teach us more about planets. If your observatory is bigger than all the trees then this doesn't matter, anyway.........

With thanks,

PHLA

Mr.Gianforte taught us about the planets and the stars and he has his own telescope. He told us

that might be little suns and there's probably another earth.

Dear Mr Gianforte,

Thank you for coming to our school and teaching us about all of the cool space things. Like that the most resent planet they found is like our Earth. And that there are 400 other solar systems. The methods to finding the planets too.

Thanks again,

ARJO

Dear Mr. Gianforte,

I learned a lot from your talk the other day. Here is some things I learned. I learned that there are other galaxies beyond our solar system. I also learned that there may be another Earth-like planet in one of the distant universes. The last thing I learned the different methods scientists use to find exosolar planets.

One day a guy named Mr. Gianforte came to my school and he told us about planets and where they were in space. He showed us pictures from his telescope and some of the pictures are stars and planets. It interested me because how close up the pictures were, and how close they could be. I also think that astronomy is very interesting because it involves with space and stars, and I like those subjects. I love all of these things because they make me feel like it is a very interesting in the astronomy life and that every night you look up at the stars in a telescope.

When I am older I am going to be a astronomy worker and I am going to look up at the stars every night. I will also tell and give advice to other kids who want to be astronomy workers.

The thing I liked best about Mr.Gianforte's presentation were exosolar planets. He told us that there were planets outside our solar system. There are over 400 exosolar planets (planets out side our solar system) including one that’s 20x the size of Jupiter. He also told us about telescopes and more. The telescopes that he told us about he were used to find exosolar planets but you can only see a dot were they are. They use satellites to find out the size and other stuff.

I learned a lot about astronomy with Mr. Gianforte especially about Dwarf planets. I never knew that there were actually more than the main eight planets that we knew of. There are more dwarf planets than Pluto. I also learned that Pluto has it's own moon. Dwarf planets are also something I learned it sound sort of weird but i didn't know that there were other planets out there it turns out there are hundreds!!

Mr. Gianforte also taught us about how long it takes for planets to rotate around a star. For some planets it takes hundreds of years because they are so far away from the star. Earth only takes one year.

He also talked about different types of measurements like Astronomical Units, Light-years,and more!

Astronomy is a great subject that I would like to learn more about and Mr. Gianforte explained a lot about it in a great way. Thanks Again Mr. Gianforte!

Mr. Gianforte came in and talked to the class about space and other worlds. There was a slide show to help us understand. Mr.Gianforte taught us about how planets rotate around the earth. For some planets, it takes hundreds of years to go around the sun once. For Earth it only takes one year.This is because the planets that are further away from the sun have a bigger circle to go around.

Giaforte also told us about lightyears too. He talked all about different ways of measuring in astronomy. For example astronomical units (AUs)is the distance between the Earth and Sun.

Mr. Gianforte taught us about dwarf planets. I never knew that there were so many dwarf planets. Pluto is also a dwarf planet.

Overall I learned so much about space from Mr. Gianforte.

On space,

A lot stuck with me,

So many small planets,

What supports life,

Just one among the many,

Feel so small,

A speck,

Only planet supporting me,

Never ending,

Black,

The sun so big yet so small,

Stars don't twinkle,

So many ways to find planets,

So much information,

Uncountable areas,

Impossible to measure,

Sun,

One small star,

One small galaxy,

The mystery,

Of space.

A while ago we had an astronomer named Mr. Gianforte come in and show us a slide show. The presentation was about planets outside our solar system and the search for life on them.

From the slide show I learned that Earth like planets are hard to spot because the glare of the star can block out the planet totally. So one of the only ways to find these planets is to watch the stars very closely and watch for the shadow of a planet to pass by it. Before we could only spot the larger and farther out planets just by looking.

Mr. Gianforte we learned it would take many years to reach the closest solar system to us by space craft of our current technology. Even if we could travel at the speed of light, we may never visit all of the planets out there; it would take just too long. It takes years to travel to some of the planets in our solar system let alone outside of it.

I thank Mr. Gianforte for the very interesting presentation of other worlds. Hopefully in the future we will become more advanced in space travel technology and that we soon discover some other intelligent species.

We had a presentation on space and the galaxy. This presentation is mostly about telescopes and how we could see Jupiter, it's dark bands, and it's moons. It was also about how we were finding more and more galaxies every month. A good portion was how we could find them too.

The Presentation was very interesting and I hope we have another one like it.

Mr. Gianforte’s assembly was very interesting. It was mostly about other planets in space besides ours, the chances of life being on them and how we could get to them, and how we could survive on them. He also told us about the equipment they use to see what is in space(telescopes)and about the equipment that they use to measure how far away a planet is from Earth. Learning about all of these things made me much more interested in space than I was before the assembly.

I remember when Mr.Gianforte came to our school for an assembly. He told us more about space. And more about light years, how there are more than our planets. And more about how it takes along time just to go around space and the different colors of the planets. Those are the things I remember about the talk with Mr. Gianforte.

I thought Mr.Gianfortre's presentation was fun. I thought it was really cool when he told us about how he was trying to find new planets. I also thought the pictures were cool and it made me interested to look in a telescope. I really liked the presentation and I had fun.

In Mr.Gianforte's presentation we learned a lot about space that we didn’t already know. One of the most interesting things to me that I learned about was about how small earth and our solar system is compared to the universe. Another thing he talked about was some of the satellites that we have sent into space he also showed us some of the pictures they have sent back. Another thing he talked about was the rover on Mars and how much we have learned about Mar’s surface from it.

We had an assembly discussing various ways that astronomers use to discover new planets. We can only find planets with a large amount of mass because they are many lightyears away. At first we thought that Jupiter was the biggest planet but then we discovered many larger planets by using various amazing ways to locate the planets. We can look at the stars and watch the planet go by the the star dipping the light in a way that we can be able to tell the exact mass. We take a camera and take pictures of the light and that will show us in a graph. We can find out the mass of the planet by doing this and also find new planets that are further away. As we get more advanced technology we can find smaller planets that are further away. There are many different ways of finding planets however this is one that you could do in your backyard.

On the morning of our harvest festival we had a special guest speaker. It was Mr.Gianforte. Mr.Gianforte is an astronomer and came to talk to us about a new subject in astronomy. The new astronomy was about exoplanets. Exoplanets are planets that we find out of our solar system. We found one with livable qualities, yet it is so far away the we would not be able to get there, but in the future there might be a possibility to try. Another thing that he talked about was the size of different planets and he compared a few picture and described some scale as well.

When you look up into the clear night sky and see billions of stars an wonder what's out there? A couple of weeks ago an astronomer named Mr. Gianforte came to our school to teach us about extra solar planets. Apparently over the past couple years astronomers have been finding planets outside of our solar system. Astronomers have discovered almost 500 planets, most of these planets are similar in size to Jupiter and our other gas giants. There are several ways to find these planets, most of which can only be done with professional equipment , but you could possibly find an extra solar planet in your back yard with a small telescope. When you look at the sky and see stars so far away wondering what's out there, have you ever thought if maybe someone is looking back at you wondering the same thing?

When Mr. Gianforte came in and taught us about space and our universe I learned about more interesting information that I had never known about before. He taught us about the stars and that there are billions in our universe. He also told us that our universe was ever expanding but it did end. I had always thought that our universe was everything and it went on forever. It does expand but it doesn't go on forever. I still wonder what is beyond it though.

He also taught us about the exoplanets that are other planets orbiting around stars outside of our galaxy and our 8 planets. I was very interested to hear about these because I didn't know that there were other planets besides the eight in the Milky Way. He also showed and told us about the stars and how people watch them and can tell which star they have been looking at.

I learned many things about the moon, space and stars when Mr. Gianforte came. I was incredibly interested and I now what to keep learning about space. It is such a wide topic and I don't know where to start. So many galaxies, stars, planets and space, that I want to study it all!

Two weeks ago Mr. Gianforte an astronomer came to our school to teach us about space. I learned that the universe doesn't go on forever. He said at the end of the universe there was nothing and I still want to know, what is nothing? I also learned that we don't have a real picture of our galaxy (the Milky Way) because we can't get out far enough to get it all because it is so big. I now know that the Sun is as small as a grain of sand compared to some other stars that we've found. He taught us a lot in the short amount of time he got to teach us about space.

We had Mr, Gianforte come to our school to talk about astronomy. He was very interesting, I learned many things. First he talked about how he loves astronomy and has a telescope in his backyard and sometimes tracks the light patterns from other planets crossing the Sun. Mr. Gianforte also explained what an exoplanet was. A exoplanet is a planet that is not in our solar system. It also doesn’t orbit our star, the sun, it orbits a different star instead. Also I learned that some stars have their own planets. Mr, Gianforte gave us an amazing assembly and I hope to have him back next year for more!

-mrha

Recently we had a guest whose name was Mr.Gianforte. He is a professor and works and operates telescopes. He taught us about planets and stars beyond our solar system. He taught us about how long it would take to get to one of these stars. We also went over planets that could possible support human life. All of the presentation was interesting and informing.

Mr. Gianforte taught me a few things when he came to talk to us about the possibility of other worlds. I liked how he taught us about the different astronomical techniques to discover things like the velocity of a planet. It was very interesting when Mr. Gianforte explained the possibilities of other planets that might be able to support life, even if they are many A.U.s away. It was very cool when he taught us about the different ways planets covered up the light of the star they are orbiting and how you can tell the speed the planet is orbiting just by that. All in all, it was a very educational visit!

Today Mr. Gianforte came to our school to talk to the seventh grade about exoplanets which are planets out of our solar system. I learned that there are just under 500 known exoplanets. I also learned that there was a newly discovered planet that is 2 times the size of earth, but it is the smallest exoplanet they have discovered yet. They can tell that it is in the Goldilocks zone, which means it is the right temperature to have life. It is earth like, but that is really all they know.

The biggest exoplanet is 20 times the size of Jupiter which is the largest planet in our solar system. They can use the radial velocity method or the planetary transit to find planets. The radial velocity method is when they use the starlight of the sun the planet circles to find the planet and the planetary transit method is when the planet crosses in front of the star. Those are just a few things Mr. Gianforte taught us.

There are certain things in the universe that are unknown. These things make people wonder, and makes people want to learn more. Mr Gianforte, an astronomer, nicely came in to our school to teach and show us about our universe and the planets and stars in it. I realized the universe is really really big! This made me feel small and weak. I also learned How Jupiter is the biggest planet in our solar system and that it is a gas giant. Mr. Gianforte also explained that there is a new planet being found that might have 3 forms of water. This was exciting news for me to hear, because the idea of living on a different planet is new to all of us, and almost seems impossible!An interesting piece of information would be that our universe might be a part of something bigger, and we are just a small part of a big thing.

I really enjoyed hearing Mr. Gianforte come in and speak to us about astronomy. I found it really interesting when he talked about how we can find planets in other solar systems. Astronomers can find new planets by measuring how bright a star is, so if a stars light decreases for a period of time, they believe that there is a planet crossing in front of it. When a planet crosses in front, the starlight will not decrease enough for the human eye to see, they must use tools.

Mr. Gianforte showed us how he has found planets himself, with his own telescope in his backyard. I also found it interesting that the closest star to Earth other than our sun is about 4 light years away! Its name is Alpha Centauri and can only be seen from the southern hemisphere of Earth.

Mr. Gianforte showed us how he has found planets himself, with his own telescope in his backyard. I am really fascinated by Mr. Gianforte's profession in Astronomy and would love for him to come back sometime.

Mr. Gianforte came in to give a space presentation, and a few things interested me were, one, I learned that the theory of other life in the somewhat endless galaxy is a lot more likely than what I had presumed before. Two, I also learned about newly discovered planets, which was somewhat mind boggling, And three, I also learned about the “Goldilocks zone”, appropriately named, “due to it's not too hot, not too cold “ factor.

This presentation also got me thinking about how endless the universe is, and how it never ends. For me, it's too much to fathom.

What I thought was interesting about Mr.Gianforte`s assembly was the relation between other stars and orbiting planets. A lot of what he was talking about was very advanced, but I found the concept of the whole universe very interesting.

Mr.Gianforte is a very inspirational man. He knows a lot about the universe, what's in it and what happens out there. His talk was very interesting because I did not know it had to do with the color spectrum and they use it to find new orbiting planets. I`m looking forward to next year when he comes back to talk about something else, and I hope to learn more about our universe and how it works.

I really liked the presentation. I loved all the information I was given and I learned a lot. The thing I liked the most was probably how you told us how astronomers found other planets that aren't in our solar system. I thought it was very interesting and was also surprised how many other planets we found that aren't in our solar system. I think it's pretty cool that we can't even see most of these other planets discovered, yet we know they are there. I think the graphs are cool because you can tell the difference between more light and less light, or a star going away or coming toward us. Overall, I think it was a great presentation and I would love to hear more about it!

Today in school Mr. Gianforte came to our school and taught us about astronomy, and other thing in space. He taught us about the radial velocity method and the planetary transit. He also taught us about the Exoplanets. It was really interesting.

We had a guest speaker come and visit our school today. He was an astronomer who taught us about other worlds. His name was Mr. Gianforte. Mr. Gianforte told us that there were almost five hundred exoplanets already discovered. An exoplanet is a planet outside of our solar system. He also taught us that on September 29, 2010 they announced that a goldilocks (planet that is not too hot, not too cold) planet was discovered. It is the most earthly planet we've discovered yet.

We learned two ways to find planets. One was the radial velocity method. This means the planet passes in front of the star, therefore causing the light to be different colors. Another way was planetary transit method. This is when the planet passes in front of the star causing the amount of light to go down. That is what we learned.

When Mr. Gianforte came in to talk to us I learned a lot of things about space that I didn't know before. For instance we talked about exoplanets. I learned that there are 494 planets or exoplanets that are not in our solar system. He also told us that astronomers are looking for other planets that could support life on them, which is called astrobiology. He also talked about planetary transit which is when a planet crosses in front of a star, which is how we tell there is a planet orbiting that star. These are just a few of the many things Mr. Gianforte told us when he came to visit.

Today Mr Gianforte came in and taught us about space. It was very interesting. He taught us about exoplanets which there are around 500 exoplanets and exoplants are planets that are planets outside of our solar system. The most interesting thing that i learned was that there is an end to the universe and it does not just keep going on and on.

Today I learned about Exoplanets with Mr.Gianforte.

He showed us about Exoplanets which are planets outside of our solar system.We also learned what colors are in beam of rays like red green yellow and blue. The most interesting thing i think was when he taught us about other worlds. They are possible planets that can inhabit life. Scientists and astronomers have discovered only 1 exo planet that could inhabit life. It's called Gliese 581 C. It is 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit thus being able to hold liquid water. That's what i learned today with Mr. Gianforte.

Today in science class, our class traveled down to the cafeteria, and we sat down. A man named Mr. Gianforte came to school to tell us a little bit about astronomy. I could tell already that he knew a lot about astronomy, and I couldn't wait to hear what he had to tell us. He told us many things, and most of them were very new to me.

He taught us about exo-planets, which are planets that are out of our solar system, and that there are 494 of them. He also educated us on how there is an end to the universe. This interested me because I had no idea whether there was an end to the universe or not, and he let us know that. Another thing that we learned is that there are about 200 billion other stars (suns) in the universe. We don't know for sure whether there are other humans or life forms out there, but we may find out in the future.

Going into the school cafeteria is always exciting, especially when you have an assembly, but today was even more exciting. Seeing Mr. Gianforte's face I immediately knew that this was going to be fun. Learning about space is fun, but when Mr. Gianforte teaches us it's even better.

I learned so much in that short assembly that I couldn't even explain, well let me try. I learned that Jupiter was the biggest planet in our solar system and that there are other planets beyond our solar system called exoplanets. I also learned that there are stars that change their light from time to time and that there are many "machines" out in space tracking and/or taking pictures. I learned so much more but that was just a handful of things.

Thank you Mr. Gianforte for taking time off your job and coming to talk to us about something that you love and have an interest in. You talking about this makes me want to be a scientist and start studying space. Hope you had as great as a time as I did!

Mr. Gianforte came to our school today to talk about exoplanets.  Exoplanets are planets that are out of our solar system.  He told us some of the methods that astronomers use to find planets outside of our solar system.  Some planets are big and are easy to spot.  Some are small and so therefore we can't see them next to their sun's light.  He said that one way astronomers spot planets is that some astonomers have things that detect changes in elements over time.  They look at a star and if it has changes in elements and/or light it means a planet is currently blocking those elements from  being detected.  Therefore, there must be a planet there.  He also said that there is about 500 discovered exoplanets.  Unfortunately, none of them can have our kind of life on them.  There is one planet that they found MIGHT be able to, but its so far away, we can't send a robot to study it. 

Astronomers are still looking for that planet that's just right, that goldilocks planet. (not too hot, not too cold.)  Mr. Gianforte said that looking for planets that can support life was called astrobiology.

When Mr. Gianforte came to our school, I learned what exoplanets are, how many other planets there are out of our solar system, and that there is water on other planets and other moons out of out solar system! Exoplanets are planets that are outside of our solar system, there are 493 exoplanets! I also learned that there is water on other planets and moon outside of our sloar system! I was really shocked when he told us that! I can't wait to learn more when Mr. Gainforte comes again next year!

Today during Science our class went down to the cafeteria and learned about space and the solar systems with Mr Gianforte. We learned mostly about exoplanets, and how they were discovered. There are 494 known exoplanets in the universe. There are many technologies used to find the faraway planets. Radial Velocity method is one way to discover the small planets. These planets are so far away, you can't just see them with any telescope. We are trying to discover other worlds that are habitable for human life, so they have to be relatively close the their sun, or they would be too cold to live. They just recently discovered a planet that seems just like earth, with the right climate and conditions for humans. The only problem in that it's hundreds of light years away. Another thing I found very interesting was that the universe has an end. That was the most surprising news that I learned.

thank you very much for visiting our school, i really enjoyed the presentation. i thought that it was really cool that there are other galaxies out there. i did not know that before you came. i did not know there were so many too, 483 unknown galaxies is a lot of galaxies! thank you for teaching me things i never knew, thanks a million!