Copyright (c) 2014 by HHSC Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
HHSC -- Blogmeister

HHSC

Class of 2012-2013

by HHSC

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Las líneas de Nazca en el Perú. Nosotros no sabemos quiénes hacer las figuras. Nosotros no sabemos quiénes hacen las figuras. No conozco las líneas. Son muy grandes. Las líneas están en un desierto en el Surde Perú. Es necesario tomar un avión ver las líneas. Las líneas están en la arena. Hay figuras de animales. Las líneas de Nazca son muy interesantes.

For this assignment Mr. Waters asked us to write an essay on comparing Roman culture to German culture in a five paragraph format.

Romans vs. Germans

The Romans and Germans were fierce war-like people, however they were both very different. The Germans were a society while the Romans were an empire. Another way they were different is that the Romans had a large unified army while the Germans had clans that men were split into clans. Also, the Roman and German laws were different.

The Romans lived in a large empire that controlled the Mediterranean Sea. In the cities of the Roman Empire there was a high class of living that would not be matched until today and a low class that was worse than 3rd world countries today. The rich people lived in a domus which had heating and running water. The poor lived in islands that had many diseases. Since the Romans controlled all of the Mediterranean Sea they were able to trade. For example, they grew wheat in Sicily that they shipped to Rome so that Rome did not have to grow all of the crops that they needed. The Germans were the exact opposite. The Germans lived in villages around Western Europe. They were an agriculture society. In the villages people made a living by herding cattle, which provided clothing and food. The women and children were farmers that grew crops such as barley, rye, wheat, beans and peas. They would trade their cattle with the Romans for glass vessels, table articles and jewelry. The Germans were a society and not a civilization because they were just a bunch of individual villages.

The Germans and Romans were both war-like but in different ways. The Roman army was strong and united. They fought together until the last man died. They had a planned attack that was very powerful. The Germans were very different. Each man fought for the glory. The German men were the warriors. They spent most of their time hunting, fighting, or making weapons. Their training started when they were young boys. When a boy reached manhood, he was brought before a special gathering held under a sacred grove during a full moon. There he received a special shield and spear to carry around at all times. If he did not carry it around at all times he would loss his shield, spear and honor. Germans were divided into clans. They gave their loyalty to the clan at first but then they began to give their loyalty to the chieftain. In order to become a chieftain the man must fight well. In the beginning the chieftain was elected by a band of warriors. Later, this office became hereditary. The German warriors did not have a fixed plan like the Romans. They made surprise attacks against enemies. They would charge wildly and yell loudly to startle their enemies. The Germans loved battle just like their ancestors. They had many gods that liked to fight and hunt. Their chief god was Wodan that was the god of war, poetry, learning and magic. The son of Wodan was Thor, the god of thunder.

The Romans believed that law came from the emperor. In the Roman Empire laws had to be equal to all people, Romans and non-Romans. This happened in the Pax Romana when there was increased trade. The Germans thought that the power came from the people. The Germans ruler could not change a law unless everyone agreed. Germans did not write down their laws unlike the Romans that did. They would memorize them and pass them down. Germans set up courts to prevent blood feuds. People accused of a crime declared their oath by taking an oath. People who declared oath were defended by an oath-helper. Germans believed that if you lied under oath that you would be punished by the gods. When people could not find oath-helpers the guilt or innocence was declared by an ordeal. An accused person would walk on red-hot coals and if it didn’t heal in three days the person was declared guilty. There was also ordeal by water. They would tie someone’s feet and arms up, throw them into a river or and lake and if the person floated they were guilty. If someone was guilty they were not always physically punished. Courts could impose a wergled. The legal system did not treat all people fairly. A person of wealth and importance was treated differently than a normal person with no importance. However the German law did keep peace.

In conclusion, the Roman Empire and the Germans were very different. They both had a very different way of life. The Romans lived in a large empire with lots of trading while the Germans were an agriculture society that did not trade as often as Rome. They also had different laws and different ways they approached war. The Romans fought together while the Germans celebrated individual accomplishments.

This is an excerpt of the Roman Gadiator Journal, we have been learning about ancient Rome and gladiators.

This journal was found on February 19, 2012 by a group of unprofessional archeologists.

This journal was found in northern Rome under pieces of an ancient Rome column. It tells the story of a Gaul boy named Aquila who was captured by the Romans in 200 AD, and his journey to becoming one of the greatest Roman Gladiators that ever lived.

It is 200 AD I, Aquila, am 19 years old. It is a cold day on May 7th, me and Gaul my tribe are getting ready to head out for a battle against a Roman army group that has been moving to close. As long as I’ve been alive I have hated the Romans.

We were walking along the grass until we spotted them. As soon as we saw them and they got in range we charged. Their army was strong with every soldier wearing the same equipment. They had leather shoes that helped them keep a good footing, but the most surprising thing was how united they were because they were taught to work together. They would all stay together and not split up. They would fight to their death. We fought for about an hour before we just couldn’t. They were the ultimate army. When we lost they didn’t kill us, they captured me and all the other men who had not died.

We were tied up by our hands in a single file line, as we began our long journey from the Rhone River to Rome. Some of the men died during the journey. We got fed twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. The meals were usually bread or some other small bit of food. It was a very long walk that took us seven days until we reached the city of Rome.

The other day I arrived in Rome, May 14th, shocked by the size of it. I walked along looking at everything. I could see islands where the poor people stayed and I could see the rich people’s houses that were much bigger than I had expected. It was the biggest city I had ever seen.

Yesterday I was given to a slave dealer, who buys and sells slaves. Today he is getting us ready to be sold. He leads us all down to the slave market where we stand up on a platform so people can see us. The slave dealer is yelling out prices and sells us to whoever pays the most. It’s my turn and he starts yelling out prices, I get bought by a wealthy Roman who says that he will turn me from a Gallia comate or hairy Gaul into a civilized Roman gladiator. My owner sends me to ludus gladiatoruis (training school for slaves or criminals) to be trained to be a gladiator.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 04:08 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 82

1. The war/battle that I researched for my Prezi was the Battle Salamis.

2. Yes, my group did divide the work. The part that I was responsible for was the main details.

3. I found information for my project by using the Edline. I found an article on Themistocles and an article called Salamis an important moment in history.

Math in Module 1

Dear Parents,

This year in Math module 1 I have learned many fun and new things. Some of the things I have learned are frequency tables, patterns, and probability.

A frequency table is basically a table with three vertical columns. The first column is what ever the tables about, the second column is for the tally, and the third column is for the frequency or total.

Patterns are new to me this year. I have learned how to find the algebraic equation to patterns. Sometimes it takes a while to find out the pattern but once you get it is easy. Many times it how many cubes are in each figure.

In Probability we have added on to what we already learned in 6th grade. I have learned the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability. I have done a project with my friend on probability that gives the summary, experimental and theoretical probability.

I have had lots of fun and learned a lot in Module 1 and cant wait till module 2.

Sincerely,

HHSC

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 05:49 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 90