Copyright (c) 2014 by RJCH Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RJCH -- Blogmeister

RJCH

Class of 2012-2013

by RJCH

teacher: Rye 8th Team

No sabemos mucho de Las Líneas de Nazca. No sabemos quiénes hacen las líneas. Las líneas tienen tres o cuatro mil años de edad. Hay figuras de animales. También, no sabemos de otras figuras. Las líneas son muy interesantes. Tienes que tomar un avión para ver las líneas. Las líneas están en Perú. Hace mucho calor en Las Líneas de Nazca. Yo quiero ver las Líneas de Nazca.

http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=327123

Rome vs. Germans

Rome was an empire based on civilization, trade, and power, spread across the Mediterranean Sea. Germans were Tribal groups based on hospitality, warriors, invasion, and small villages. Two different civilizations, one goal…to fight people. Germans fought with their unorganized style of fighting, and Romans fought with their well organized legion. Romans and Germans had different ideas of housing. Also, the two governments were very different.

Our first comparison is houses. The average Roman lived in six or more story buildings called islands. Rich Romans lived in a private home called a Domus. A Domus had colorful stone floors, marble walls, and windows made of small panes of glass. Rooms were heated by a furnace and pipes brought water to all floors. At one point in Rome, the ratio of blocks of islands to one Domus was 26 to one. The Germans lived in long thatched roof huts with an open space around them. The huts were divided in half. One half and their animal stalls and the other half housed the people. The body heat of the animals heated the hut in the winter. The only furniture was a few wooden tables and benches along the side of the hut. It was illegal to turn away someone at the door because Germans believed in hospitality. As you can see, Romans and Germans had different ideas about home living.

Romans and Germans were both great fighters, and neither wanted to make peace. Romans conquered and Germans invaded. When Romans fought, they used a legion strategy. This was highly organized and required training. The Roman army conquered land from the “boot” to Spain; all around the Mediterranean Sea. The Germans were warriors, skilled hunters, and used their hunting tactics in battle. They would surprise attack their enemies without fixed plans. Warriors on horses would yell in loud voices to frighten their foes. They used daggers, short swords, and heavy axes while fighting. They also wore leather suits and carried light wooden shields. Roman legionnaires had double edged iron swords and were trained to march long distances. Also, every night the Roman soldiers had to build a temporary fort. Roman and German fighting styles were very different, and Germans came around at the right time to invade Rome.

Rome had a government. They had a united empire that ran well and lasted for almost 400 years before dividing into eastern and western Rome. The Germans had an absolute ruler, like Rome, but the land was divided up into six kingdoms. Also, Romans liked to build big cities. Wherever they went, wherever they conquered, they built a city. Most cities still exist today, as ruins. Constantinople was the biggest city in the Roman Empire, and still ran well after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. Small villages still existed in Rome, but the cities were home to millions of people. Germans built small villages and most people were farmers. They built no large cities like Romans did. The only time they lived in cities was in the Roman cities with the Romans. Once again, we can see very clear differences between the Germans and the Romans.

Germans and Romans lived in the same time period. Most people would assume that the two were very similar because they lived in the same part of Europe. Most civilizations tried to imitate Rome, but the Germans were unique. The Germans even live d in Rome. But the two were almost nothing alike, showing that not every early civilization was the same.

Prologue

My name is Deion Twig. I am a historian. I discovered this man, Brutus Gracchus's journal buried underground in ancient Rome. It was probably written in some time between 260 BCE-200 BCE, because the games were first fought in 264 BCE at the funeral of Julius Brutus Pera. The games declined in roughly 270 AD. Let's say he lived in 100 AD. He was taken as a prisoner of war, and was a slave. Most gladiators were slaves, but some were free-born volunteers. You were paid to volunteer, the main incentive of most free-born gladiators. Brutus was forced to begin his rigorous training, to become a gladiator. He was expensive, well taken care of, well fed on a high energy diet, and given expert medical attention. If a gladiator died, he would cost up to 100x as much as a living gladiator. You didn't want your gladiator to die. After training, Brutus went to fight in the Colosseum for the gladiatorial games. He was a murmillo, or fish fighter. Murmillos were heavyweight gladiators. The name murmillo came from the logo on his helmet. A murmillo's typical opponent would be a thraex. A thraex is a different kind of gladiator.

I researched the battle of Marathon.

My group divided research, but we all shared random parts of the presentation. I was assigned the effects.

I used EBSCO to find my information. It is a reliable source with a lot of information.

I researched the battle of Marathon.

Dear Mom and Dad,

One thing I learned in module 1 is the order of operations. I learned that parentheses come first. After parentheses come exponents. Then multiplication and/or division, and then addition and/or subtraction. The fraction line means divide.

I also learned about exponents. Any number to the second power (squared 2) means multiply by itself. If anything is to the third power (cubed 3), you multiply it by itself and then the product by the base number. With ten, the exponent is the number of zeros. 10 3 = 1000 10 4 = 10000 10 5 = 100000

I learned about probability. If there are 10 coins in a bag, and three of them are pennies, there is a 30% theoretical probability of picking a penny.

I also learned about graphing. If both axis on a graph have numbers in them, then you should use a point graph. If both axis have words, then you should use a bar graph.

Sincerely

RJCH

Dear Mom and Dad,

Sincerely

RJCH