Copyright (c) 2014 by RJCH Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RJCH -- Blogmeister

RJCH

Class of 2012-2013

by RJCH

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Title: "Should the US continue to celebrate Columbus Day (06/07/10)
Description: After researching the contoversy over the US celebration of Columbus Day. Students wrote an opinion piece where they expressed and defended their views on the issue

There recently has been a question that has been asked, “Should theUS continue to celebrate Columbus day?”. Well I personally don't think Columbus day should be celebrated and I don't think that Columbus should be taking someone else's discovery and having a day made for him and yet the other man didn't get any credit. Christopher wasn't even the first to reach America, people where living there before he had arrived. I have many reasons to decide why we shouldn't continue to celebrate Columbus day.

Christopher Columbus enslaved the natives and forced them to work and labor in his plantations and all the profit went to the Europeans. Christopher took many of the diseases he gained in America and took them back to Europe and the Europeans didn't have cures or any idea how to save people from these diseases. We are celebrating a man who failed to discover Asia and appeared in America, but we are basically celebrating a failure.

The holiday includes many pro's and con's about why its good to celebrate this holiday. Most of the stores and restaurants stay open having specials and sales which would increase profit. The schools close for the day, which means kids, and teachers can sleep in for a day. So I think that's why we shouldn't continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

In 1934 Columbus Day became a national holiday, but in recent years there have been huge controversies about this federal holiday. In 1492, Christopher Columbus and his crew arrived in the Americas, becoming the first European to reach what was known as the New World. After Columbus's discovery of the Americas, the Europeans began to expand their territory, and they set up many colonies in the New World. These colonies brought with them the Europeans who shared their knowledge with the natives, and improving the New World. Columbus Day should continue to be celebrated because it symbolizes the important civilization that has created our modern country, changing our world.

Christopher Columbus was the first European explorer to discover the Americas for the Europeans. Although some people claim that Columbus had technically not discovered the Americas, because there were already native people living there. Columbus discovered the new world for the Europeans, teaching them about the vast new world. Columbus was able to teach the Europeans about this undiscovered land, which allowed them to colonize and improve the Americas.

The Europeans who traveled in the New World brought many new things and ideas that were shared with the natives, in return for the Europeans usage of the New World's natural resources, this was called the Colombian Exchange. The Native Americans were actually a highly civilized people, but they lacked in one major area, they had no complex, or even simple, technology. Without this technology the Native Americans were never able to become prosperous with the land of the New World because it was just too difficult of a task for them. When the Europeans came to the Americas they brought their culture, and many new technological advancements with them. The Europeans were equipped with items such as the wheel, and weapons like the gun. These new advancements allowed the Americans to begin to do many tasks easier than before. Without the help of the Europeans and their technology, the Native Americans would probably still be in the primitive state that they were in prior to Columbus's discovery.

During the process of western colonization, the Europeans were able to use more of the natural resources located in the Americas, benefiting many people. The Europeans began logging and using some of the vast amounts of forest that exist in the Americas. The Europeans were able to prosper so much from the land, that they were able to send staple crops, or specific foods that are relied on by many people, back to Europe. The original settlers, those that followed, were able to make the most out of the plentiful land that could be found in America.

When Columbus discovered America for the Europeans he began a new era of ideas and colonization. The Europeans brought new ideas, culture, and technology with them which shaped the Americas for good. After Columbus's discovery of Europe, the Europeans were able to fulfill the New World's potential, something that the Native's had not been able to do. All of these things that Columbus and his fellow Europeans brought with them to the Americas is something that should be celebrated.

Should the US Continue to Honor Columbus Day

Well, should we celebrate it? Before we go into those details, let's set the scene. The year is 1934, and Columbus Day has become a national holiday. Your first question is probably why. We are suppose to honor Columbus and how he started the urge to explore, and the conquest of the Americas. We are supposed to honor and award a man that started the mass genocide of thousands upon millions of American Indians and South Americans, and also honor a man that never even set foot on American soil. So why do we honor this day to him? I certainty don't think we should, and here's why.

The original idea was brought up by the Knights of Columbus, a large group of Italian and Spanish-Americans that felt that there was no holiday that honored them. They felt that we should have another holiday put on the calender to make them feel good, and also honor their heroic genocidal captain. They don't realize that not only Columbus not discover America (the Vikings did that) but when he landed on the islands around it, he even thought he had landed on India! Columbus was wrong on even more levels than that, but there are more important things to talk about.

Now if Columbus was wrong about everything, didn't discover America, or even explore it, he started the conquest of American Indians, and at the same time destroyed the culture that they were either equal to or better in some areas, then why do we honor him? Why? Because it seems like what the Knights of Columbus did was look for a guy that they felt was important to America that was of their heritage. Benito Mussolini was Italian and affected, or at least tried to affect America, so why don't we celebrate him? He probably affected America more with being an axis general in World War II, but why don't we celebrate a day in his honor. It is because with making a holiday around Columbus, in turn we can make all of the bad things that this guy did go away. And it has worked!

So so far, we are honoring a guy who has committed mass genocide and paved the way for more, he was blatantly wrong on every level of his discoveries, and some militaristic dictators had more of an effect of America than he did, and he stripped the Americas of their resources. What was that? Yes, in conquest, Columbus leaked the info that there was a large amount of gold, trees, corn, disease-free land that could be plundered without having an affect on that area, because they don't live there. This little info worked, and now Europe is taking the Americas' resources right from the American Indians and right to the now greedy Europe, oh and they're enslaving the people now too? Wow, this guy sounds terrible. Why are we honoring him again? Because apparently a holiday was needed for the Italian-Americans and Spanish-Americans that felt that they should have a holiday to honor their heritage, even though all other races don't, and still don't.

We gone over a couple of main points as to why this holiday should be abandoned, and just forgotten. Why should a man be honored for committing crimes that today would be the penalty of death? Why should we honor a man that would be hated today in society, who was wrong about everything, and had no honor to his name at that point either? The reason is to honor “America's heritage”, yet why honor the bane of America's heritage? It makes no sense. Columbus day is a lousy, bogus excuse of a holiday with the sole purpose of honoring some people's heritage, despite the fact that no other race in America gets that privilege. It just doesn't make sense, and the holiday, along with the belief of honoring certain races, and ultimately the disbandment of the race card, and this lousy, bogus holiday.

Every year the U.S.A celebrates a federal holiday called Columbus Day. A federal holiday is a day where most people get o ff from work and many government agencies are closed. I think we should celebrate him because in 1492 when he set sail with his three ships he made a huge impact on history in the New World. So here is the big question in the social studies world should we or should we not celebrate Columbus Day?

People say that he brought everything bad like sickness, witch he did but he did not even know. He actually gave the people of the new world better technology and life like the wheel, armor and the spinning wheel. Also people say all he brought was war and that is why we should not celebrate him. If we do not celebrate him because of war why should we celebrate the 4th of July? These are similar because they where both wars and people got killed and we still celebrate the 4th of July. Last thing he brought was new foods to the Europeans and to the new world he brought foods and also brought trade. The foods that he brought to the Europeans where corn, potatoes and many more staple crops. The fact is we do not celebrate the losers we celebrate the winners and exploring and settling the New World. His voyage helped start European exploration and settlement of the New World.

I hope I convinced you that we should continue celebrating Columbus Day. Not everything he brought to the New World was bad. He brought many good things to the natives and started a new economy with trade from the New World to Europe. His exploration of the New World is the reason that we are here today, and that is why we should celebrate it.

Should We Celebrate Columbus Day?

Every year we celebrate Columbus Day. The holiday is about when he changed the world forever. He was thinking that he was the first one to find America, but he wasn't. In the past couple of years, there has been a controversy about Columbus Day. There have been people arguing about if we should celebrate Columbus day and people thinking we shouldn't celebrate it. There are three reasons why I think we should keep celebrating it.

The first reason is, his trip started exploring and colonization in the New World by Europeans. Columbus didn't find America because the native Americans, vikings, and other European were there first. The second reason is he also brought new things to the new world. He brought the wheel, the spinning wheel, armor, parrots, cotton, and other kinds of plants and animals. Some of the plants he brought were crops, like corn and wheat. The third is that he brought European settlement and colonies.

We should be thankful for Christopher Columbus because he brought all of this new technology to us, which has really helped us a lot. Also we still use the plants, because we eat corn and wheat, usually for meals. My opinion is that we should celebrate Columbus day, because of the three reasons I mentioned.

Christopher Columbus is famous for trying to get to India but finding America instead. He brought the Europeans to America and that's how we are here now and that's why we celebrate Columbus Day. Columbus Day was first celebrated in New York in the year of 1792. It was later declared a federal holiday when school would close, and businesses would close for the day. Then people started to argue if we should still celebrate this holiday and if it should be a federal holiday. In recent years it has become a large debate and I believe that we should not celebrate this holiday or not have it as a federal holiday.

One of the biggest reason why we shouldn't celebrate this holiday is because when Christopher Columbus got here he was greeted by many natives offering him gifts and looked up to him as there white god and slaughtered around ten thousand of them. Christopher Columbus did not kill all of them personally but he allowed the Natives to be murdered by his men and himself. He also forced them to work in gold mines day and night until they died for there own profit. If they declined to work in gold mines or ran away they would either be hunted down and killed or they would be taken away from there family if there family isn't dead already and sell them as slaves. The natives had there own religion with there own god and there own myths and legends and believed in there land but the Europeans came and made them stop believing there religion and took down there land and forced them to believe in what they had to believe in. Also, Christopher Columbus never actually "discovered" America because the vikings had already came and went and there was already people living in America.

Christopher Columbus definitely does not deserve a holiday because of all the crimes that he committed. If people still want to celebrate the death and slavery of the natives then they should, but I don't think it's worthy of a federal holiday and we shouldn't have businesses and schools close. I believe a lot of kids don't know what there celebrating and we should be teaching them everything about Columbus day and not just about the discovery of America and all the good things about the situation. Christopher Columbus is not worthy of his own holiday.

Should the US continue to celebrate Columbus Day? It is a question that is being greatly argued recently. This argument debits whether or not we celibate the man that discovered two new continents and would change the world forever. Some say that Columbus should have never discovered the Americas, but what world would we live in if we did not find the Americas all of Europe would not have found the large amount of wealth later found.

There are some that what Columbus did was not worth it, that north America would have been better with out Columbus's discovery, but think of this, the native Americans had yet to develop the wheel let alone the gun or any kind of armor. Also Columbus reintroduced the horse and provided the cow, pig, and many other animals that had never been seen before that would change the way they live for the good.

Some of the people in America believe that we should not have come here but what good would have that done for the world. Were the conquistadors greedy, yes, but that was not even his fault, he could have chosen what would have happened. In all I think that we should celebrate Columbus day because he found the Americas and changed history and how we thought of the world forever.

Should we continue to celebrate Columbus Day?

By: MJBR Green

On the second Monday in October of every year we celebrate a holiday called Columbus Day. Columbus Day is a day where we celebrate Christopher Columbus' journey across the Atlantic Ocean and landing in America. And if you asked most people why we celebrate they would say just that, but really we're celebrating a guy who wasn't supposed to land in America but landed there by accident. Most people believe Columbus landed in the United States, which he didn't. And he definitely wasn't the first.

Actually the first people to land in the United States somewhere around Maine were the Vikings. But there are more reasons why I don't think we should celebrate it. My first reason is the technology he brought. Yes he brought many new technologies like the wheel and horses that would help the native people, but another technology he brought was the gun. Most people don't know that Columbus killed most of the native people, tortured them, and even enslaved them and brought them back to Spain. This act started to influence more people in Europe that they could use more slaves to do their work.

Columbus did start a new age of exploration but there was not a good outcome for the natives. So therefore my Second reason is in this new age he wasted natural resources in new lands and spread more and more diseases to innocent Native Americans. Yes what you may not know is when Columbus and other explorers landed in America they may not have known it but they spread tons of diseases from Europe to the natives. They knocked down tons of trees because they thought if this land is not being cut down then it was being wasted. So therefore they decided to cut down tons of trees in the new world and used them to build ships and other thins back in Spain. Not only did he cut down any trees but he cut down trees in Native American territory and took away all their land.

My third reason is Christopher Columbus brought a new age of war. This new age of war started ever since Christopher Columbus landed in the new world because he started fighting with the natives. And as I said before Columbus also sparked a new age of exploration which influenced other explorers to sail over to the new world. And when the other explorers got over here they started more wars and taking more native people for slaves. This act of explorers and natives fighting for land and resources lasted for a 300 year period. So ever since Columbus discovered the new world there have been many wars taken place between tribes and countries over land and resources.

So now you can see I do not think we should continue to celebrate Columbus Day for those reasons. You might not think so too but I just think we shouldn’t celebrate it. Why should we celebrate someone who wasted natural resources, enslaved the natives, and started a whole 300 year period of war? And he wasn’t even supposed to land there but landed there by accident and he caused a lot of suffering for the natives. Imagine what he might of done to the people of the west indies where he was supposed to land. Well I hope my reasons helped to give you enough background on why we should not continue to celebrate Columbus day.

Every second Monday in October we celebrate Columbus Day by going to parades and having parties. There is a question whether or not the United States should celebrate Columbus Day as a holiday. The nation is basically split in half between people both for and against the idea of having Columbus Day as a formal holiday. It is obvious that the arrival of European civilization in the new world should be celebrated. The year is 1492, and we all automatically recognize that as the year that Columbus changed the world, with his discovery to the Europeans of North America. With new territories springing up all over the continent, the superpowers of Europe began a frantic land grab to set in stone who would control the major resources of the new world.

If Columbus hadn't sailed to the Americas, or he turned around halfway, there would have been no more exploration in the area of the east. The natives that he came upon when he landed showed little signs of technological or civilized advancements in a period of about 1000 years. Without the knowledge and technology shared by Columbus and his party, they would still be here untouched by advanced society, living an inferior lifestyle, making sacrifices to their pagan gods.

The Americas had huge untapped reserves of natural resources. The natives had failed to exploit them to their full potential. With giant forests containing big thick trees perfect for shipbuilding, large wells of gold and rare metals, and exotic flora and fauna.

Finally, he started colonization of both North and South America. He spread European culture and way of life throughout the primitive natives. Imagine where they'd be without the intervention of the Europeans, still sacrificing and committing to their pagan gods. Permanent settlement started the American way of life, it led to the formation of great new countries, and the beginning of superpowers.

It is my conclusion that Columbus Day SHOULD be celebrated, for without his landing comes no civilized society. Without his landing, there would be no United States of America, Canada or Mexico, Panama, or any countries in the area. There would only still be the natives almost completely unchanged in the last say, 1000 years or so. Again, they showed little accelerations in technology, medicine, and other fields in which the Europeans excelled in a relatively short amount of time compared to the natives of the new continents.

In the U.S.A. And a couple other countries they celebrate a holiday called Columbus day. Columbus day is a celebration of the European discovery of North and South America. Some people think its a celebration of Spanish and Italian heritage holiday. People have been debating if the holiday should be celebrated or not. In my opinion there are multiple reasons why we should celebrate Columbus day.

My first Reason is its an American heritage holiday. My second reason is people think because Columbus found by mistake its bad but, he discovered one of the leading manufacturers in the world. My third reason is that its a celebration of the of our country. My reasons are heavily supported.

My opinion is based of heavy research. Some bad things happen but that creates a lot of good things. People may disagree but read my essay please. This is one of the few U.S. Holidays so lets just celebrate it. That is why I celebrate Columbus day.

The Controversy of Columbus Day

Every year on the second Monday of October Americans celebrate Columbus Day. In 1492 Columbus sallied across the Atlantic ocean with three ships, The Nina, The Pinta and The Santa Maria. He was in search for the East Indies and instead found what is now North America. For a couple of years now there has been a controversy on whether or not The U.S should celebrate Columbus Day. There are several reasons why I think that Americans should not celebrate Christopher Columbus Day.

Some of The reasons I think Americans should not celebrate Christopher Columbus Day are. When Columbus landed in the new world he brought European diseases to the new world. The natives didn't no how to deal with diseases. A lot of the native population were killed from the diseases. My second reason is that he brought new technologies. But not all of the technologies were good. Like the gun, when he introduced the gun to the natives they did not know how to use it and they were using to kill their own people. My third and final reason is that Columbus he brought the religion, Christianity. You may think that bringing Christianity was good but the way he brought it was bad. He forced the native people to be Christians. If they did not choose to be Christian they were murdered or enslaved, the enslaved people were brought back to Europe and to work.

Again, even though its nice to have the day off. Why should we should Americans celebrate a man who was violent and horrible to the Native Americans in the New World? Today would we honor someone like him? I don't think Americans should continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

The world changed after Columbus found the new world in 1492. 1920 is when Columbus Day was first celebrated. It is on the second Monday on October. People are now starting to question if we should still celebrate Columbus Day. People are wondering if we are celebrating the right thing. In my opinion I don't think that we should celebrate Columbus Day and for several reasons.

When Columbus landed in the new world he didn't respect the natives. The natives gave him gifts and welcomed him to the New World but Columbus didn't show any affection to the natives. When he first saw the natives he thought that they would make good servants. He took some natives as slaves. He made them tell him what they new. He thought that he could take them as slaves and make them do whatever he wanted because he thought he was the first to find the New World. He wasn't even the first to find the New World. The vikings visited the New world and also the natives lived there so they knew about it. Columbus wasn't even the first European to find the new world. He says that if he didn't show them the technology then they would be dead but they have been alive for a long time. They were just fine before he came along. They weren't getting sick before he came along. He bought a disease down there and almost killed all of the natives. He didn't help them he only killed them.

Columbus thinks he helped the natives but he only killed them. He killed more than half the natives. They did not need him to survive because they were alive before he came and now they are dead. In my opinion I think we should not celebrate Columbus Day. He is not worthy a day in my opinion.

Columbus Day is a day loved by many, to others not so much. Some people don't want to celebrate it at all. They want it removed as a holiday. They shouldn't because this holiday has been celebrated for years, by people all over the world. This day is celebrated because of Christopher Columbus sailing across the world and finding the New Land then he brought us over to the New World. I will tell you why I support this holiday in the following.

Columbus Day was a day celebrated by people all over the world because his journey to Asia, but he didn't exactly make it there. In fact the reason we celebrate it is because he brought his people from Europe to the New Lands, better known as America. Yes he did not discover America, but he did bring the Europeans to this new land, which he should still be honored for this.

There is a debate about who likes this holiday, what I mean about this is that a lot of Italians like this holiday better because Christopher Columbus was from Italy. A lot of Italians and Americans like this holiday, and that is not a bad thing, everyone has a holiday that other people celebrate, how different is this from that?

This holiday is a tradition that has been celebrated for many years for the reason that I have been saying, that this tradition has been celebrated for years and if you want to remove it just like that, that is pointless, sure he wasn't the first one to discover America but he was the one to bring the people over from Europe, and if he didn't we wouldn't be who we are today. What I mean about that is that we wouldn't have the same physical features that we do today.

Some disagree, some agree, but to take away a holiday that has been celebrated for a number of years is just wrong, and should not happen. That is why Columbus Day should still be celebrated and not removed as a holiday.

Columbus Day is usually recognized as just a day off from school and work, but it has a lot more meaning to it. Columbus Day is about when Christopher Columbus was searching for a new route to Asia but ended finding the new world. It's when he had settled on the land and had founded new treasures. It's about him finding the new people on the new world. But if you did your research, most of this isn't true at all. To me, Columbus Day shouldn't be celebrated for many different reasons.

For the first fault in his theory, most of what he thought wasn't true. For example, what he thought was Asia, was actually the new world, which is now the Americas. Another fault was that he said he had walked on the new world and explored, which isn't true because the shore line was too rocky to get too with his ships and most of the crew didn't know to swim so they couldn't possibly get to the new world. The last fault that he said was that there was plenty of gold on the new world, which wasn't true because it was either false gold or there wasn't really anything on the new world.

To me, Columbus day is just another false holiday that we celebrate just for a day off, which isn't really necessary. Also, to me, Columbus day will always be just to relax from the days from school or work, like a sick day. If I had a decision to decide whether we celebrate Columbus day or not, I would vote not.

Around the U.S.A, a day called Columbus Day is celebrated on the second Monday of October. On this day, people don't have to go to work or school, and there are many parades for celebration. The reason we celebrate Columbus Day is said to remember the time when an Italian man named Christopher Columbus sailed west to modern day North and South America. Some people believe that Columbus Day shouldn't be celebrated as a holiday, however, I think that Columbus Day should be celebrated for several reasons.

My first reason explaining why I believe Columbus Day should be celebrated is because it helped the natives to become less primitive, and introduced to the technologies of that time. Although, the natives probably wouldn't still be primitive, there is still a chance that they would be. In addition, if Columbus hadn't been the first European to sight the Americas, we, the Americans, probably wouldn't be settled here today. When Columbus saw America, he returned back to Europe to tell the other Europeans what he'd found. So, some Europeans who wanted to settle somewhere other than Europe were able to travel to the America's and settle there instead. Finally, because of Columbus helping the Europeans to settle here in the Americas, we use the Western European culture, democracy, personal liberties, rights, and equality in everyday life.

I believe that Columbus Day is an important holiday for Americans to study and to learn about just how they came to be here in America. If it weren't for him, we might not even be here. So I think that of course we should be celebrating one of the major people who helped us to be living here, and to be prospering as we are in everyday life. Columbus not only helped the original people living here, but helped the Europeans, or now Americans, in the location in which we live.

In 1492 Columbus set sail expecting to go around the world but accidentally ended up discovering North America. Ever since the early 20th century we have been honoring that day. Having Columbus Day has been a very controversial topic for many years. Some recognize it, some don't pay attention to it and some just think of it as a day off from school. I believe that Columbus Day should not be celebrated.

My first reason why we should not celebrate this national holiday is because he didn't really set foot on North America, the closest Columbus got to the place was Cuba! Besides he wasn't the first to discover North America so when you think about it we are celebrating a guy (one of the many) who discovered North America. I'm not saying we should call it cultures day, I'm just saying we should think more deeply into the discovery of North America.

My next reason has to do with what Columbus did to the people and the animals of North America. His discovery started the mass spreading of extinction, decease and genocide to animals an people. Hundreds of thousands of Native Americans were killed and enslaved, not to mention how he forced Christianity on them. Some arguers might think that forcing Christianity on these people was a good thing. If you think about it he came to this place which already had developed cultures until he ruined them by enforcing his beliefs.

Definitely, if I were to research everything about Columbus the cons would definitely out weigh the cons. Everything that Columbus did was wrong. He meant to sail around the world but failed and went off course and he came to North America and took, killed and enslaved anything he saw. So I'll leave you to ponder this thought, should we really celebrate a man who killed, enslaved and decimated people already living in north America.

In Fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. That was when the great Christopher Columbus sailed from Europe, across the Atlantic Ocean, and discovered the Americas for Europe. Ever since 1934, the USA has been celebrating a holiday dedicated to Columbus and his achievements. But now, some people are questioning whether we should be celebrating Columbus or not. They have their opinions about whether Columbus did more bad than good, but they don't register all of the reasons why we should celebrate Columbus Day.

For example, some people say that celebrating Columbus Day is wrong because the natives were already there, and he invaded their land. But what they fail to realize is that Columbus found what was almost a separate world then, and brought it up to speed for its people and the rest of the world. It had already been discovered by the Vikings, and there were already natives living there. But Columbus made the Americas usable for everybody. And when Columbus brought Europe to the Americas, he and the other Europeans moved in and used the land and its resources to their full potential. Before Columbus, the natives had been living off of the land, but they weren't using the extensive forests, wildlife, or other resources, nearly as much as when the Europeans came in. And people say that celebrating Columbus Day is an insult to the natives because they were there first and Columbus came in and killed them. But they decline to recognize that many of the natives were hostile, and Columbus couldn't take a chance, even with the friendly ones. Besides, instead of flat out killing all of the conquered natives, he put some of them to good use as slaves, which is more humane and efficient than killing them. And with the Columbian Exchange, the Europeans brought new technology to the Americas, and brought back things like tobacco, potatoes, and corn, which became very valuable crops for Europe. Because Columbus discovered the Americas for Europe, he made life better for the majority.

And people say that Columbus day is not politically correct to celebrate, because it is an insult to the natives. But they refuse to acknowledge that celebrating Columbus Day makes the majority of our population, those of European descent, happier. And even if Columbus was being unfair to the natives, it wouldn't matter because in the end, it's the winners who get to celebrate their victory and their heritage. So there is really no good reason for the USA not to continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

Should we keep celebrating Columbus Day? I think yes we should. Every Second Monday in October, we celebrate that we have a country that has been discovered and we are to be thankful for what we have. Some people say no its a bad idea to celebrate Columbus day. But I think yes we should.

One reason why I think we should celebrate Columbus day is that if Christopher Columbus didn't sail onto the Bahamas, we wouldn't even be living here. If he didn't, we wouldn't even know about the new world which we live on. Another reason, is that people say when he came he ruined the land by cutting down all the trees. But really, he didn't ruin it. Look at what is going on in the world now. Global warming and a oil spill. Yeah and he ruined our world. No he didn't we are ruining it more than he is. One more reason is that we have been celebrating this holiday since 1866. Why would we stop celebrating it after so many years of celebrating it. Also why would we stop celebrating it just cause the people who say we shouldn't doesn't mean we have to stop it. For those people you don't have to celebrate it but we want to.

Christopher Columbus has so many impacts on our world today. Some of us dont agree that he changed the world forever. Imagine if he didn't come. What would we do? Where would we be? Those are just some questions I want to know about Christopher Columbus. From honoring our world that we live in to honoring this day since 1866. I think we should celebrate this holiday. We are not going to stop just because others say we shouldnt.

Columbus Day is celebrated all across America. Christopher Columbus revealed the Americas for Europe. It's named after Christopher Columbus, but we also celebrate the fact that he opened the communication between Europe and America. Columbus Day takes place in October, on the second Monday. Schools have the day off and we go to parades. We've celebrated this holiday for hundreds of years. Some people believe that we should not celebrate this day for some of his actions: I disagree.

Columbus was a hero of his day, and is considered one now. He brought from Europe life-changing technology and ideas that would make the Americas change for the better. One reason why we should celebrate his day was the technology he brought. He brought over new types of ships, medicines, and new ways of architecture. The Native Americans were still hunter-gatherers, and most had not developed permanent civilizations in the North. Columbus brought over the idea of using resources to their full. The Natives had failed to use all of their natural resources, so Columbus showed them the way to use them for their benefit. He, in a way, saved their lives with his modern knowledge.

Another reason we should celebrate Columbus day is because he brought European culture to the New World. One of the most important parts of that was the spread of Christianity. He brought to the Americas a whole new religion- one that did not involve human sacrifices. Christianity is the dominant religion compared to the pagan religions of the natives. They still made sacrifices to the gods. Humans would be killed frequently. If he had not come, modern America could very well be using pagan religions. He brought to the Americas a new way of living.

Finally, one of the more recent reasons we should celebrate this day is because, in celebrating Columbus, we celebrate American heritage. Columbus himself was Italian, but sailed for Spain. We celebrate in Columbus' name, but we're really celebrating heritage. If he had not discovered the New World, Europe would not have colonized the new continent, and the countries that exist today would not exist. There are huge numbers of Italian and Spanish citizens in America, so Columbus Day is a day for them to honor their heritage.

Columbus Day is a day worth celebrating. We've been doing it for many years, so why should we stop now? Columbus was responsible for the colonization of our continent. We should continue to honor him because of that. If he had not come, we would still be practicing pagan religions, still be a hunter-gatherer society, and we would be lacking with an advanced society.

Should the U.S celebrate Columbus day?

Lauren Dodds

SS Blue 6/7/10

Every year we Americans, Europeans, and Spanish celebrate Columbus day, but why do we celebrate that day? Columbus day is in celebration of an European explorer who sailed to what he thought was Asia but reached what is Cuba where he and his crew found the Native Americans. which they brought back to Europe on there month long voyage. Christopher Columbus was not the first to discover the Americas but he was the only navigator from another continent to find more land, so why are we celebrating what he didn't do. We celebrate this Holiday because of the different opinions between the Americans and Europeans fighting to have this holiday.

By Columbus “discovering” the Americas it led to conquest with the Europeans, which destroyed the Americas culture. What he did bring though was western culture, he also brought Christianity, and new technology for the Native Americans. Though the Native Americans already had advanced cultures and were being dishonored by this explorer. He also found different food supplies that he brought back to Europe Christopher Columbus did help the Native Americans but also destroyed they culture and way of living. He was a famous explorer to the Europeans and Spanish because it helped them with more discoveries of this new world, with more food supplies and other techniques from the Native Americas. The Columbian exchange also led to more cargo and other supplies for the Europeans.

The reasons of Columbus exploring led to more exploration by other navigators. Columbus came to help but mostly hurt the way of life for the Native Americans by making them change the government and way of life. Columbus was one of the many explorers who shaped how we live today, but I think we shouldn't celebrate this holiday. Though most kids in America today see this as another day off of school it also is about describing the beginnings of how our great nation was discovered, and how it came to be today.

My Columbus Opinion

For many years the topic of the celebration of Columbus day has been a controversy for some. It wasn't Christopher Columbus that changed to world it was his “discovery” that changed the world. Many people think that Columbus was the bad guy, but many people see him as a hero and not as the enemy. We should celebrate it, because we wouldn't be here if Columbus had decided not to explore the Americas. Many people say that we shouldn't have Columbus day, but we should continue to celebrate Columbus Day for many reasons.

The Europeans brought western European culture to the Americas, so if they hadn't, then we could be Chinese or some other culture and we wouldn't be who we are today. The effect of this is that we have our culture that we have now because of them. We also exploited the Americas natural resources, we may have stripped the Americas of them but we have used them to our benefit and that's what they're for. People say it's wrong to celebrate Columbus day since we destroyed the advanced cultures already there, but we won so we should have a right to celebrate. we wouldn't have been able to co-exist with them if we hadn't destroyed them just leading to even more deaths most likely.

So we should celebrate Columbus day, because we are who we are and what we are today because of the exploration of the Americas which is a thing to celebrate, not a thing to fight. People need to realize not everyone will agree, but it is how it is, we celebrate Columbus day because we are here today like we are how we are what we are today, no matter how many Natives we killed and civilizations we destroyed, it made us who we are today and that's reason enough to celebrate Columbus Day.

In 1492 Christopher Columbus set sail to find a way to get to Asia by going west. Instead he discovered two new continents and changed the world forever. We celebrate Columbus day because he is the one who discovered the Americas and that is why we can trace our ancestry back to Europe. There is a huge controversy about continuing to celebrate Columbus Day. I believe the cons outweigh the pros. I believe that we should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

My big points are that Columbus brought disease and genocide. He also kidnapped, killed and raped the indigenous people. They killed the indigenous people who were fighting to protect their country and land and yet we celebrate Veteran's Day to honor the people who have fought to protect our country. Just like us, they had a right to protect their land. My second point is that they also forced Christianity on the indigenous people. Christianity is not a bad thing, but he forced people to become Christian and destroyed their religion. He then plundered the resources of the New World. My most important point is also the most controversial detail. He was wrong about everything. He lied about finding gold, silver and treasure. Also, he didn't even find a way to Asia. He found the Americas and thought he had found Asia. His mission was a failure. He never found what he was looking for so why would we celebrate him?

Today this issue is a huge controversy. There are two very different views of the controversy. People have strong opinions on this controversy. I believe that we should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day. He came to this land that wasn't his and acted like he owned the land and tried to take over the indigenous people. He destroyed their culture, religion, way of life and much more. We should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day. What side are you on?

We celebrate Columbus day in the US on the second Monday in October. He reached the New World in 1492 and changed the world overnight so to speak. There are mixed feelings about whether we should continue to celebrate Columbus Day. You can find many reasons of this everywhere. I think that we should not celebrate Columbus Day.

I don't think that the us should celebrate Columbus Day. The first reason is that he committed more crimes than ways he helped Europe. Also, he enslaved and exploited the native people on the island he landed on. The third reason was he wasn't even the first to discover the new world, there was Leif Ericson and the people who crossed the land bridge. So he doesn't even deserve to have a day in his honor. Those are the reasons I think that we should not continue to honor Columbus Day.

The Columbus Day controversy has been going on for a while and I think it should come to an end. So we can all be happy and just drop the subject and look to better things like health care. I think that Columbus could have conquered the new world in a more humane way instead of enslaving and exploiting them and just making the natives scared of him. Well that is what I think about the Columbus day controversy.

Columbus Day

Should we or should we not

Right now, the US is debating whether we should celebrate Columbus day or not. Of course we should celebrate it if we want to. My family really does not do anything for this holiday except for taking advantage of the no school day and go away for the long weekend. We should celebrate it because we are just celebrating the fact that Columbus ventured to the Caribbean and traded with the natives and started the age of exploration.

Columbus Day should be celebrated for many different ways. He brought over and spread Christianity and lots of Christians would say that was a very good thing because he made them worship a single god and not many gods. He also brought over the horse which for the Native Americans in the great plains is an awesome thing because some living creature that is trainable and fast is good for killing buffalo on. If Columbus had not sailed over, we probably wouldn't have wild horses in the great plains and the southwest. He set sail in 1492 for the Far East of Asia. He was looking for a rout to the exotic spices by going west and not east. He had started the age of exploration and the Colombian exchange. This trade brought over corn and potatoes. Potatoes became a staple crop for the people of Europe.

If you don't want to celebrate it than don't, but we have been celebrating Columbus Day since the 1890's. We can't stop celebrating it now. It is apart of our history and changed the lives of people forever. We celebrate it to remind ourselves of the past history and the stories of explorers. Columbus helped us see the world and it's people. There can be bad things about the finding of the Americas from the Europeans but see it in a good way. He sailed all the way from Spain and sailed for months and risked his life to see the world for the people. Let's keep it that way.

In 1492, 3 ships, the Pinta, the Nina, and the Santa-Maria came upon land previously almost unknown to Europeans. The man commanding this ship was named Christopher Columbus, an Italian sailor working for the Spanish. He had discovered the Americas for Europe, for better or for worse. Now, in America we celebrate the day Europe discovered America, though some of us believe that we should not. I, however, believe that Columbus's achievement and spite the nitpickers that believe otherwise.

One of the reasons these people say that Columbus Day should not be celebrated is that the culture of the Native Americans was pretty much destroyed. Well I say, why do you care? It's not as if they had a civilization of great ideas and genius thinkers. With a few exceptions, they were hunter-gatherers, who lived in roaming tribes that didn't have the wheel or even a written language. They may have destroyed a culture, but they replaced it with a highly sophisticated and technologically advanced civilization built on geniuses such as Plato and Socrates, ideas from across more than 20,846,000 square miles. Though there were some civilizations and two very large empires, they lacked the genius that Europe had achieved.

Columbus haters nitpick over some other small reasons. They say that African slavery increased because they needed workers in America. This is untrue. By the time Columbus had returned and sparked the excitement for the New World the Portuguese had already started the slave trade which was cheaper than servant workers and therefore would have expanded anyway. They also talk about how peaceful and good the natives were. Here's the problem with that, they weren't! Humans are a violent race by nature and there were wars fights and death. They bash Columbus again and again for reasons that don't even make any sense.

The worst thing is that when they attack Columbus, it's not just Columbus they're bashing. They're bashing all of Western Culture, our culture! Columbus day isn't a memorial to a European accidentally finding a new landmass, it is honoring our European forefathers that made the Americas into a place of technology. It's honoring the fact that the Europeans brought culture to a level in mere decades, that would take the Natives millenia to achieve on their own. And among us, we have people who are saying that this is bad? If I follow them correctly they want to set us back, say, at the least millenia, the Natives would be at about Roman technologic and cultural age, right now.

So, should we celebrate Columbus Day? The Natives lost all their culture and were destroyed, but what is the loss of a few, small, non-technologically advanced civilizations compared to the gains given from Europe. Maybe slavery did increase, but not because of Columbus. We didn't lose the peace-loving Natives, they were human and thus susceptible to violence. Why do these people want to drop back into the Roman era. We should celebrate Columbus and the Western Culture he brought, and not spite the good they did. Go America, Go Columbus.

Should the U.S. Continue to celebrate Columbus Day?( Really, nobody really gives it a second thought on the day.) Celebrating a man's wrong guesses, and who actually never set foot on American soil, and triggered the huge boom of the genocide of the Native Americans?Honestly? No. People say; “but if we stop celebrating, people will forget where they come from (Italians, Spanish, English)!” Well, if they REALLY wanted people to know their heritage, teach it in school then.

First, if it's such a problem that we need to make a holiday for it, then maybe we should push teaching it. And if people are afraid that kids will forget where they come from, then we don't need a holiday off to forget about! Come on! Think about it!Don't get me wrong though, I like getting a day off from school, but I don't agree with the holiday. People sometimes even forget WHY they have a day off. Secondly, really though, if he wasn't the one to “discover” America, then someone else would have anyway, so we really shouldn't blame him, because think about it; everyone in that era was determined to find a different route to Asia , and find the Northwest passage, and everyone was going that way anyway, so it was kind of open for whoever got there first. Finally, I ask you a question (and give an answer); why don't we have a day for the Native Americans? Why? Because Columbus brought on a huge repression of the Native Americans, crushed their religions and forced Christianity on them, and I haven't even started on the Genocide of millions. A lot of the tribes of Native Americans were forced to move up, down, to the side or whichever way they were being pushed. Some were hostile, but they had reason to it. They had no idea who these white people were, nor the white people to the dark people. But When you choose to rape, kill, and enslave their people, something's gotta give.

No, The U.S. Shouldn't celebrate day, and we have enough holidays as is, but we need to add one for something that we can teach in school. And in school or the textbooks they give you the most distorted version of Columbus and his followers, not to really educate, just give the big picture of it all. And most kids or adults do not actually know/care about who or what we are celebrating. So, for most people, it's really just a day off from work or school.

In 1492 a man named Christopher Columbus sailed from Europe to America. He made history, for better or worse. Should we or shouldn't we celebrate Columbus Day? There is a huge controversy in the United States debating this. Christopher Columbus is our ancestor. Celebrating Columbus is celebrating our own victory. Not celebrating Columbus Day is like not celebrating our heritage. Yes, Columbus had a few faults, but he was a product of his time so we can not blame him. I think that we should celebrate Columbus Day.

Columbus did many great things. Even though Columbus was wrong about finding “Asia” he did find our home today, America. We should celebrate the historical find of our land. Columbus also brought new and advanced technology to the Americas. Most of this technology was good for the Native Americans. Columbus began the European Settlement and brought Christianity to the Americas. Some people think that bringing Christianity was a bad idea. They are also the people who look at Columbus bringing new technology to the Americas as a bad idea. Columbus brought government. He also brought back important stapled crops; crops that provide our basic nutrition. Many people blame Columbus for bringing diseases to the Native Americans. How was a man from Europe in 1492 supposed to know that Native Americans did not have the same immunities as himself? Once again I'll point our that Columbus was a product of his time. He did not have the same knowledge as we do today.

Columbus changed our world for the better. Not celebrating Columbus day is like not celebrating the 4th of July. It is just another political holiday. In my opinion Columbus Day should be celebrated . It's a celebration of our ancestors and the discovery of our home. If it weren't for Columbus you would probably be living in Europe. It's one day due to a man that changed the world.

For Many years the U.S. has been celebrating Columbus Day. The U.S celebrates it on the 2nd Monday in October. Columbus sailed to the new world in 1492. Many people think we shouldn't celebrate it but other people think we should celebrate Columbus day. I think the U.S should keep celebrating Columbus Day. Columbus really showed the America's to Europe so we should keep celebrating it. He is part of the reason America is how it is today.

First we should keep celebrating it because Christopher Columbus helped the natives. He gave them valuable technology. Such as the wheel. Before he came they didn't have the wheel or any other technology. Also before he came the natives weren't able to exploit the natural resources or the world so when Columbus got there he did. People who are against Columbus day day that he just came and took all their riches but before he got there the natives weren't even taking any of them

Second many people believe that we should celebrate the Spanish or Italian heritage instead of Columbus. They think this because the Spanish are the ones that gave him the ships and the money to get there. Without them he wouldn't of made it to the new world. But when you celebrate Columbus day you are also celebrating Italian and Spanish Heritage in the U.S. We are celebrating this because Columbus is and Italian Navigator and he sailed for the Spanish so we are celebrating both of the Heritage's and Columbus. We are celebrating both Spanish and Italian heritage as well as Columbus.

Finally I think we should Celebrate Columbus day is because he brought the Christianity to the natives. Many people believe that Columbus destroyed the natives religion. But if Columbus didn't bring Christianity to the natives then they would of kept doing human sacrifices. Columbus stopped that and had them convert to Christianity. Without Columbus they would still be doing human sacrifices.

I think we should continue to celebrate Columbus Day because we are celebrating Italian and Spanish Heritage, he helped the natives and because he brought Christianity to the natives. Columbus began Colonizing the America's and without him we might not even of been here. Columbus is Part of the reason America is how it is today.

On every second Monday in October, Americans, as well as the Europeans celebrated the finding of the new world and the opening of new exploration. Christopher Columbus sailed over from Spain in 1492, his new findings had changed the world forever. The Teachers of schools have taught their students the Columbus was indeed the founder and have put him in this high place that he doesn't deserve. But is this true? Was he really the first to discover the Americas? Why not tell us? There are several reasons why I believe that we should take away Christopher Columbus Day.

To me it seems strange to give a person the credit of something they really didn't do. This follows for Christopher Columbus because he never ever set foot in either North America or South America, just in the Caribbean area. He committed homicide against the many Native Americans living in the New World. Nearly half or more of the population was killed from war or small pox the was brought over by the Europeans. Many of the great civilizations were murdered by Columbus and his conquistadors through out their conquests for gold and riches. He was also completely wrong with his thoughts of the new world. He believed that that the Americas were Asia and China and gave the native people the wrong names. By naming that second Monday in October Christopher Columbus Day, we not only give Columbus the title of finding America when it was already inhabited, and also already been found by the Vikings, but we have dishonor America's Native Americans. They were here long before the Spanish came along and rediscovered the new world.

An agreement between the two Columbus sides may be to give Columbus' Day the honor of America in general, similar the 4th of July. By naming it this, we have taken away the judgment of the people, and left the discovery of America to the real founder. Although, through all the pros and cons of Christopher Columbus' voyage and discovery did indeed change the world forever.

Should we celebrate Columbus Day or is it a horrible massacre that we are celebrating? Columbus day is full of controversy. It is in some ways racist and is also celebrating other cultures. Columbus was good and bad. Should we celebrate him or should we not?

Columbus was a not the person we all think. Columbus led the way to a holocaust.

He is responsible for killing millions of the native people that live in the Americas. He brought the plague of western civilization to them and explored the resources that were theirs. It doesn't make it right to steal from someone because they are not using what you stole. All the explorers that he influenced to slaughter the Native Americans and their way of life justified themselves by saying that they were helping. They all said they were bringing technologies to the natives, but can you use technologies if you are dead? They say that the Native would never live a civil life and would be miserable and that they were going to live short lives. Well many of the Natives had short lives, some lived short lives because the Westerners killed them. The westerners spread diseases that killed off the natives at first this was not their fault but later it was done on purpose. Columbus may have not been the great person that we all think. He destroyed the Native Americans and their land.

Columbus day is not something we should celebrate. It is a celebration of the death of the Native people that once lived in the Americas. We are taking a day off to remember a false memory that is masking the true horror of Columbus and the monster the he created. He may have changed the world but is it worth celebrating.

Should the U.S. Continue to celebrate Columbus Day?

The United States celebrates Columbus day on the second monday in October and should never stop celebrating this discovery of our new land. Christopher Columbus started the discovery of the Americas of our modern world. I think that we should honor our heritage and hold on to our European culture. Christopher Columbus found our land and brought a new way of life to the land. Christopher Columbus's big discovery would go on to switch our culture to a new world. If it wasn't for his discovery no one else would of came and helped the discovery of every other piece of land. In my opinion we should celecrate Christopher Columbus Day for ever.

First I was saying if It wasn't for Christopher Columbus no one else like Hernando de Soto or Ponce de Leon would of thought there was land west. This was based on everybody else's thought that the world was flat but not for Columbus, he thought the earth was round and smaller than it actually is. And he took his knowledge and found the Americas. Secondly, He brought the culture and new religion that has transformed through our modern age. The people there before him might have had a culture butit was not as complex as what Columbus had showed these natives. With this it brought many new tools that Galileo and Aristotle thought of back in the Western world. These inventions consisted of navigational tools or hunting tools like the gun which brought many hunters going after all the buffalo for meat and fur. For me it is more important that he brought guns than didn't people might dislike this for wars and it not real sometimes you have to face this with violence. Finally, his conquest helped ceal permanent settlemens for North America. What he did was he took over these Inca's and yes Natives might be mad in what Columbus had accomplished but look at the world now the majority of them agree and that is why we all think this conquest was a success. My thought that his voyage brought us to where we are today.

This whole topic people like to take pro's and con's but when I look why we should and shouldn't celebrate this holiday it always seems to be that reason could have been on the pro side of the topic. Columbus showed me he found the land where our country is now. And it is not just me, the majority of our people like his accomplishments that he brought to the Americas including the conquest and new culture showing our european heritage. I want the United States to continue to celebrate this mark in history and it is a day where most people get out of school and work. But that is not just it folks, it was a point in history.

In 1492 Christopher Columbus brought the Eastern Civilization to the Americas. And since 1934 it's been a federal holiday. Everyone gets the day off. They can have the whole day to themselves. They can think about Columbus' great feat. But who does? Do you think about him while you enjoy your day? It's a big question, whether or not we should continue to celebrate it. In reality, most people only know that Columbus came and took the Americas for the eastern civilization. But he also in the process killed of thousands of natives and exploited land that wasn't his to begin with.

I don't think we should celebrate Columbus day because in my opinion he did more damage than good. The diseases his men spread had a horrific result and those alone killed off most of the natives. It's true that without him, it's possible that other voyages wouldn't have been made, and new discovery's would never have happened. But it's also possible that another explorer would've found the America's instead and we would be celebrating another 'hero'. If Columbus had never come, we might not be where we are today. However another strong possibility in that scenario is the Native population would still be the dominating people. Many of them were killed off from diseases that the Europeans weren't aware they were carrying. Another small part were actually killed by the Europeans. Columbus' people were cruel and selfish. They thought the Indians weren't human because they weren't Christians and they were different than the Europeans. Columbus' and his completely dehumanized them and took from they what they wanted. To the Europeans the Natives didn't deserve their land because they refused to exploited they land they lived on. Christopher himself wrote that the Natives were very trusting people and they would be easily turned to slaves. And now America thinks were should celebrate that act of cruelty.

Columbus enslaved, killed and dehumanized innocent people on a land he discovered. He had no respect for the land or the people who inhabited it. He thought they weren't deserving of the land because they refused to ruin it. So we shouldn't celebrate Columbus Day because he really was a cruel man who brought cruel people to ruin a land that wasn't theirs to begin with.