Copyright (c) 2014 by JRVI Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
JRVI -- Blogmeister

JRVI-

by JRVI teacher: Rye 8th Team

Las líneas de Nazca están en Perú. El origen de las figuras de Nazca es un misterio. Las líneas de Nazca son muy grande. Hay figuras de peces, aves, monos, y ballenas. Hay otro animales también. Hay también figuras geometricas, triángulos, rectángulos, y líneas paralelas. Están en un desierto en el sur de Perú. Las líneas cubren un territorio tan imenso que para ver las figuras en necesario tomar un avión. La gente cree las líneas de Nazca vienen de constelaciónes en el cielo. En mi opinión , la figura humana es las más interesante.

Overview- For this assignment I was asked to write a five paragraph essay comparing the lives of the Romans and the Germans. The other skill that we were practicing was writing a five paragraph essay. Here it is!

At the fall of the Roman Empire there was a new group trying to make their way into the Roman borders. They were known as the Germans. The Germans were attracted by Rome’s wealth and culture and hoped to live peacefully inside the borders, but the Romans viewed them as enemies and fought to keep them off of their land for many years. Finally by 300 A.D the Empire began its fall and could not keep the Germans out. The Germans and Romans lived very different lives. They had a very different system of laws, they had a much different way in battle, and their lives in their villages was extremely different. It will eventually create great conflict between the two groups of people.

The Germans lived a very different lifestyle than the Romans. The Germans lived in small villages, surrounded by pastures and farmland. They lived in long thatched roof huts, their animals lived in one side of the hut, which helped to warm the hut during cold winters, and the family lived in the other half of the hut. The only furniture they had were wooden tables and benches that lined the walls. They lived within extended families, including parents, children, grandparents all living together and helping out with the chores needed to sustain their household. German villagers made a living by herding cattle, which provided food and clothing. They also traded cattle for Roman vessels, jewelry, and table articles. They were an agrarian society. They grew barley, rye, wheat, beans, and peas. Most of the farming was done by the women, children, or enslaved people. When women were not farming or cooking, they spun wool and made cloth on an upright loom, which they then used to make their clothing. Unlike the Germans the Romans lived in cities. The wealthy lived in a domus or house. These were more grand than the simple dwellings in which the Germans lived. They were constructed with marble walls, colored stone floors, a furnace and windows made of small glass panes. Pipes brought water to all floors so the inhabitants could bathe in their own homes. The poor lived in a building called an island. It was generally six stories high and each island covered one entire city block. The ground floor was a workshop. There was no running water or furnace and sometimes there weren’t even windows. One had to climb a ladder to the upper floors. The higher the floor, the lower the rent. Romans were all educated until they were twelve then it depended on if they could pay for it or not if they would go back to school, unlike the Germans who only learned to read and write if they chose to. The Romans were a much more civilized group of people then the Germans, that is why their lifestyles were so different.

The Romans and Germans laws and government were very different. The Romans believed that law came from the emperor, but the Germans believed that the law came from the people. German rulers could not change a law without approval from the people. The Romans had a group of about three hundred men called senators, they proposed laws, discussed ways to deal with other countries, and approved public contracts for building roads and temples.The Germans based their laws on the customs of their ancestors, while the Romans wrote down their laws. The Germans memorized them and then passed them from generation to generation. Too much drinking in the German villages caused reckless fighting, which made problems in the villages. Germans wanted to prevent the fights from becoming blood feuds or fights between the families. If the original fighter sought revenge, the feud could go on for generations. To keep this from happening, the Germans held courts, judges listened to each side and tried to find a settlement that would bring peace to the village. They chose who was guilty or innocent in different ways. One was by oath-taking. People accused of crimes would declare their innocence by oath. Then they would be defended by oath-helpers or people who swore that the accused was telling the truth, it was thought that if they lied they would be punished by the gods. Another way to tell guilt or innocence was by ordeal, or a severe trial. The accused had to walk barefoot over hot coals or put their arms in boiling water, the burns of the innocent were supposed to heal within three days. There was also ordeal by water. The accused was tied hand and foot and thrown into a lake or river, the Germans viewed water as a sign of purity. If the person sank to the bottom they were innocent, if they floated they were guilty. A person who was guilty was not always punished physically, instead courts could impose fines called wergeld. The exact amount of payment varied. Unlike the Germans the Romans laws were standard around the Empire and they had one ruler. The German laws were not all fair, but they brought peace to the village.

The German and Roman armies were very different, with only one major similarity. The German army was divided into clans, or groups based on family ties. In the beginning the soldiers gave their loyalty to the clan, but later they gave it to a military leader called a chieftain. Unlike the Roman army, which was divided into legions. Each legion was comprised of approximately five-thousand legionaries or soldiers, which was then broken up into groups of sixty to one-hundred-twenty legionaries. The German chieftains gave their men leadership, a chance for wealth, and weapons, they also kept peace among their men. In battle the chieftains fought for victory and the soldiers fought for their chieftains. While the Romans had a plan for battle, the Germans had no battle plan. Instead each band of warriors fought on their own, the bands made surprise raids on their enemies. They would charge wildly on foot and on horseback, screaming and shouting loudly to frighten their enemies. The one similarity between the two armies is that they were both set on conquering new ground and expanding their territory. That is why the two armies were so much different.

Over time the Germans will become more of a Romanized group of people. They will begin to build cities and become more advanced in their architecture. They will move from a predominantly agrarian society to incorporating trading of goods into their economy. The Germans were a more primitive society early on, however they progressed to becoming a very civilized group with successful kings and armies able to rule and protect an educated and thriving economic society throughout the ages.

Article posted March 9, 2012 at 02:11 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 69

This is an excerpt from the fictional journal I made for a Social Studies project, it is from a Roman gladiators point of view.

May 14 Midday

I lived in the city of Rome. I was poor, I had little money because my family and I could not find work. At the time, there were not enough jobs in Rome, an effect of the over population, which had risen to about one million people living in Rome. The separation between the rich and the poor citizens became so large it was tearing the empire apart. The living conditions weren’t any better. I lived in what you would call an island, also known as a six or more story building that covered one full block. I was not the only resident many people lived in one island. The wealthy citizens in Rome lived in what is called a domus or a house. These had marble walls, colored stone floors, windows made from small glass panes, rooms heated by a furnace, and pipes that brought clean water into the domus.

I did not have a proper education either. Until I was twelve I went to school with all the boys and girls from Rome, then we were separated. The wealthy boys went to finish their formal educations. They studied reading, grammar, writing, music, geometry, and arithmetic. The boys from the poor families went to work. Wealthy girls had private formal education, poor girls also went on to work. When I was done with school I went to find work in the city.

There was not enough work for me or my family. We could not afford to live in our own home, my parents needed jobs so we could pay rent and buy food. We traveled to the province of Rome called Gallia, which covered a large portion of northern Europe. My parents found work there, my dad got a job as a farmer and my mother found work in tailoring. We bought a small house and built a life there. Three years after we moved the village was invaded. Roman soldiers took our horses and chariots, our jewelry, and our weapons. I was marched into the heart of the Empire to begin life as a slave. When we got to the city of Rome I was passed to a slave dealer, then sold to the highest payer. My owner was going to make me a gladiator. He sent me to a ludus gladiatorius or a school where slaves, prisoners, bankrupt and condemned men went to be trained as gladiators. When we got to the school they handed me off to a trainer. I was told that I would be trained until I was ready to fight in the Colosseum.

On my Prezi we researched the Peloponnesian war. My group did divide the work, I did the slide for the effects and I did a slide about Pericles. To find my information I used EBSCO Host and my textbook.

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished Module One and I am going to tell you about a few things we learned, for example exponents and probability.

One thing we did was learn about experimental and theoretical probability. My partner SSAM and I did an experiment using 4 different kinds of candy, we pulled the candy out of a paper bag and figured out what the probability of pulling out each kind of candy.

We also learned how to do order of operations, with a little trick to help us, PEMDAS or parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. Here's some examples (3+3)-2x1=4 or (5-4)x3+8=11.

We also learned about exponents and exponential and standard form. Exponential form is 3 5 and standard form is 3x3x3x3x3.

Love,

JRVI