KRTI-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

https://voicethread.com/book.swf?b=3085173" target="_blank">https://voicethread.com/book.swf?b=3085173">https://voicethread.com/book.swf?b=3085173" target="_blank">https://voicethread.com/book.swf?b=3085173" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="360">

We were asked to write a 5 paragraph essay about the cultural differences between the Germans and the Romans.  We also made this essay to learn how to write a factual 5 paragraph essay.

Germans V. Romans

After the fall of the Roman Empire the Germans took over.  This brought about a great many changes.  Cities turned to Villages and government and trade were localized, the honor in a soldier went from legion to self, and government became more democratic and less dictatorial.  These are just a few of the many changes which transpired.

The first large change was localization.  After the fall of the Roman Empire there vast trade networks fell apart.  People had to live off of the land around them.  Another thing is that the Roman Empire had a vast warning system, but the Germans didn’t know whether there was an army over the next hill.  Rome’s network of roads also allowed their armies to travel quickly over rough terrain, while the Germans had to trudge through marshes and cut their way through forests.  Some villages were so hidden in the forest that no one knew they were there.

The second large change was personal honor.  It wouldn’t matter in Roman times if a man was fighting alone on a battlefield however, Germans would find it brave to do such an honorable thing.  If you were a good enough fighter the other warriors would make you their Chieftain, or military leader.  Something that was similar in the army was that there were symbols of honor.  The legions had standards and the Germans had a spear and a shield.  If they lost these they would be dishonored.

The third large change was the government.  The Romans were never very diplomatic; it was either the senate or the emperor who made all the decisions.  When the Germans took over this changed a lot.  Laws weren’t removed or added by a German ruler unless the people wished it.  Something that is similar is that the Germans based their laws on the customs of their ancestors, and the Romans kept the Twelve Tablets, or their set of laws, through much of their history.

There are many other changes which happened during this transition.  These are just some of the largest and most important changes.  The Germans were very different than the Romans, and if it weren’t for the fall of the Romans and the succession of the Germans our world would be completely different from what it is today.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 02:06 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

For my prezi did the Battle of Salamis.  Our group divided the work evenly, and I was responsible for the why, what, where and who about the battle.  For my research I used the textbook.

My space address is: Rye, Rockingham, NH, Northeast, United States, North America, North-West Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local cluster, Local super-cluster, Universe

Article posted September 12, 2011 at 04:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 51

In science we are learning about the eye.  Do you know the parts of the eye?

In science we are having a test on the eye and how it works. In Math we are beginning work on algebra. In Social Studies we are learning about prehistoric peoples. In Language Arts we are learning how to write friendly letters.