LSAD

Title: Weather Story / Weather Topic (03/19/10)

When I was a lot younger I used to live on a farm and there was a really really bad storm and I had to help my mom outside in the barn. So I got ready and opened the door and I walked out and was hit hard by both rain and wind. My mom laughed when she saw me walk into the barn wid my hair soaking wet and I was crying. I was supposed to be in the barn ten minutes before but the wind took forever for me to walk threw.

A couple of hours later we had to walk back to the house we had thought the storm had stopped, or at least slowed down somewhat. We got whipped hard by the really really strong winds my mom made me hold onto my dogs collars and walk behind her and she held there collars to. We had 2 dogs a rottweiler and a st.bernard. The rotties name was thumper and st.bernard's name was chubby. We finally made it back to the house we were laughing. I was covered in doggy slobber from chubby.

That was my weather story I hoped you liked it.

This is my weather story wordle.

A couple of years ago my cousins came up from Denver to visit with us. When they arrived we went down to the beach, bringing with us our beach wagon, dinner, and lots of fun. We decided that we would enjoy the beautiful evening at the beach, but our plans were destroyed when we watched dark grey clouds rolling in, accompinied by the sound of distant thunder. We began to pack up our metal wagon with all of our beach chairs, hoping to be able to run home before the storm arrived, but luck had left us, so this did not work out. It began to pour and lightning started flashing. We had walked to the beach so we had nowhere to run but home. Abbandoning the wagon, we sprinted toward home. Lighting flashed so close to us we could see it touch down a few times. Terrified, we were only able to make it halfway home, where we decided to run to our neighbors porch. We began our run home when it seemed to calm down a bit. After a few more minutes we finally made it home, as we came into the house, leaving a trail of water behind us, we felt immensly relieved.

My story takes place in northern Maine, Sugarloaf Ski Resort to be exact, and it was Thursday morning of February vacation. The previous night we had heard that there was a chance of snow, and it had already started snowing. When we woke up that Thursday, our cars were buried in two and a half feet of snow, and it ws still dumping. The house we had rented for the week was taken Thursday night, and hotels were booked everywhere. We had no choice but to try and drive right through it. One hour in we were only 15 miles out, and we had a 550 mile drive left, going down a highway at 20 miles per hour. As we were getting out of the mountains on to regular flatlands, we had one more large hill to pass. The snow continued to fall, and it was definately a blizzard. As we neared the top of the will, with our two-wheel drive car, and with some four wheel drive SUV's and trucks all around, the car started to stall! We had just enough energy left to pull over, but it was still a scary moment, stalling at the top of a hill, in a blizzard, with a bunch of 4 axel trucks behind you. We waited for them to pass, and restarted the car to get back on the road. A couple of hours later, as we started to leave the mountains and snow turned to rain, the car caught a bad curve and the road, and we skidded off, narrowly missed a telephone pole, and went to a stop a foot in front of a large stump. The snow that turned to rain basically hydroplaned our car off the road, and for the next couple of minutes we were terrified. However, as we made it farther south around lower Maine, the weather eased off and we made the rest of the trip back home fine.

This is my wordle'd version of my weather story!

Wordle: fire

This wordle was about the New-England ice stom.

Science Weather Story

A couple of weeks ago NH and some other states had a huge storm called a nor'easter. Instead of getting inches of rain some of the other states got inches of snow. This was very bad because some people could not get out of their house, so they had to shovel their way out or have big plowing trucks come by and do it for them. This nor'easter caused a lot of flooding in my yard and my road. My yard and road was so full of water that whenever I came home from school or something else, my mom had to park in a special parking place away for the flooding so I wouldn't go into the water and get soaked. The day before I went back to school at around 9:00 at night, the power went out at my house. I totally freaked out. I was only with my grama that night but my mom came home later on. Finally at 3:00 in the morning, we got our power back and everthing was back to normal, but I was really worried about the freezer and the refrigerator because inside of them they had no power too so I didn't want the food to go bad luckily it didnt. This nor'easter happend during the weekend, after the weekend passed, I went back to school on Monday and the schools ceilings were leaking so our principal had to block of some of the stairways we use to get around to the library, downstairs etc. He was going to think about closing the school off meaning instead of getting out of school at 2:30 we woud get out of school a couple of hours earlier. But that didn't happen because everything got fixed in time. A couple of days later that storm ended and people became to become happy!!! Thanks for reading my weather story :)

This wordle is of a story i did on the ice storm in 2009.

Yesterday March 23rd to be exact, everyone was in class and working. All the sudden the fire alarms go off and it was pouring outside and freezing but we still had to go outside because it could have been a real fire. So we went outside for 10-15 minutes FREEZING! Plus I had flip flops on and a lot people started to get worried because we never go outside for a practice fire drill in the the rain.

So we were starting to think that this was real, but then we finally got to go inside after being cold and wet, but instead of going back into classes like we went in to the gym and it was weird because we usually go into classes after fire drills. So we got into our classes and we started working again and then they told us the principal told us that the fire drill lights are still ganna go off for a little while,which got annoying. Then they finally shut off and we went on with school and listened to the noisy rain.

Every summer, my family rents a lake house in the lakes region of middle New Hampshire. More often than not, during the time we spend at the lake, there will be either a lightning or a rain storm. One year, we rented a good sized house with a sandy beach and a steel dock at the southern tip of lake Winnapasaukee. It was the second day, just about dusk, right before we usually come in for the day, it got dark much faster than usual. At the time, I was paddling out in the middle of the cove the property we rented was located on. I was just turning around, and there was a thunderous BOOM and a streak of pink light flew across the sky. I knew what was happening, and I wasn't too happy about it either: I was about to be caught in the middle of lightning storm while I'm out in the middle of a lake with nothing but a knee-board.(!) At this time, I was about as scared as I could get at the age of 7. The low clouds were moving fast, as if to chase me across the cove back to the house. Another bolt screamed across the sky, and two seconds later, another explosion of sound. Two seconds from flash to boom, that means the storm is only two miles away! I was paddling and kicking as hard as I could, and finally I reached the beach and sprinted inside. Just as I closed the door, a lightning bolt hit either the water where I had just been, or the opposite bank to the cove. I was just thankful to be inside and not back out on the water now.

One day in the summer of 2006 me my mom and my brother where going to get Joe's New York pizza and all the sudden whoosh a wicked strong wind knocks down a tree right behind are car luckily we did not get very far from are house so my my ran over to two trees with the suburban and we drove in the driveway. My mom told my brother to open the door to put the car in the garage but he didn't so I did. We ran down into the basement where we where in for about ten minutes. for the next two day's I spent most my time at my neighbors because they have a generator and I spend most my time there anyways. The final night we went to my dad's friends and everyone showered then we came back and the power was back.

The Tornado 

When I was around 5 years old I went to stay at my grandparents house in Tennessee.  My grandparents lived in a trailer house.  It was very big for one though.  There was an open yard and there was a shed that held a bunch of tools.  There was a gate so the dogs wouldn't run away.  There was a lot of stuff to do at their house.  One of my favorite things to do was play board games and watch Courage, the cowardly dog.  We were getting sleepy so we went off to bed.  I slept in my grandparents bed.

They were snoring so loudly that it was hard to sleep.  I woke up in the middle of the night because it was raining and very windy.  The rain was hitting the window so hard that if sounded like the window might break.  Their little dog was lying on my pillow but then he started running into the living room.  I was scared.  I shook my grandparents shoulders and they finally woke up.  They woke up and heard the wind.  They asked me to go in the living room with them.  I brought my scooby doo blanket with me.  I walked out into the living room afraid of what was happening.  I sat down on the couch hoping it would go away.  I held my blanket close.  My Grandpa turned on the T.V.  The weather guy said something about a tornado warning.

Then the T.V turned off.  Now I was very scared.  We started walking into the kitchen getting closer to the door outside.  We had to go outside to get underneath the house.  We listened for the right time to open the door and then we went outside.  We turned to go under the trailer but then it was gone it disappeared.  The neighbors' yards were pretty messy because of all the stuff that was being thrown around.  We were all okay though.  After that I was scared for my parents because I thought that they were just driving around in a car and that they might get hit by the tornado.  Luckily they stayed the night at one of our relative's house so that made me feel better.  Luckily we all survived that scary night that I will never forget. 

My weather story

One time this year, I was on vacation with my family in St.John. While we were there, my mom got a phone call saying that all the power was out in our hometown. We never thought that the power would still be out when we got home...

Once we were off the plane, and in Boston, we were picked up by one of my parents' friend's daughters. She told us that the power was still out, and had been for three days! This meant that the people who we had come to our house and feed our pets wouldn't be able to get in, because the only way we allowed them to get in was through the garage, which needed electricity. I remember the shock on my sisters face when she realized that her pet fish had no food, and no warmth from the house. Once we arrived at our home, my mom pulled out her only key to our house. When she went up to the house and tried the key, it didn't work. This meant that there was no possible way, without breaking anything, to get into my house. My dad tried calling all of the hotels in Southern New Hampshire, some even in Massachussetts, but none had any vacancy what so ever. Just then, one of my friends called me, inviting me to sleepover at her house, because she knew my situation with the power outage and no place to stay. My parents and little sister went over to another one of their friends houses, and stayed there for the night.

When I was picked up by my friend, on the car ride back, we noticed all of the trees down, for there was a massive wind and rain storm four nights before, which knocked all of the power out. There was only one way out of the town I lived in, because there was a tree that fell right on the street. There were hurricane force winds, flooded basements, and powerlines down. This was one of the worst storms to occur in my lifetime, in my town.

Later that night, while at my friend's house, I remembered how I usually get extremely plane sick, and was surprised I hadn't gotten sick yet, I was hoping that I was done with the phase of being sick after plane rides, but I couldn't have been more incorrect. I got up at 5:30 am in the morning, and was sick. 

The next morning, my parents picked me up, and we drove to my house. On our ride there, I saw all of the trees that had been knocked down by the hurricane force winds. I was relieved when there weren't any trees on my house. Since the power was still out, and my pets were inside, my parents decided to break into my house. They went to the kitchen door, looked around for a tree branch on the ground (this wasn't hard to find at all), and smashed the branch into the kitchen door. It went through, and my dad reached inside the broken glass and turned the lock. We'd made it inside! My sister ran to her room to see if her fish was still alive, and he was. About a half hour later, the power came back on. We broke a door for nothing, it turned out. This was an amazing weather adventure I'll never forget. 

It was a peaceful day at the Rye Junior High, well at least the quiet part. It was a boring, dark, rainy, gloomy day. A perfect day for an interruption!

My first block was science. We were learning about matter and atoms. One of our class assignments was to color in a black and white atom. I was half way into the coloring when the alarms went off!

Now we all thought this was a regular fire drill, we were wrong. Even though it was pouring rain, we still followed the same evacuation process, going outside. Thank goodness my locker was close to the science room because I was able to snag my coat on the way out the door. After everyone was outside, teachers began to take attendance as fast as they could. Turns out that attendance did not go so quickly and we all started to get drenched so everyone decided to take care of our problems in the gym.

Half joking, the 6th, 7th and 8th grade opened up their emergency bucket's and took out large blankets. After 10-15 minutes of being wet, confused and slightly cold, things finally came to a conclusion. Mr. Pollet walked to the middle of the gym and spoke. He told us that this alarm wasn't planned and that the alarms went off because there was a slight water leak. This was due to a excessive rain fall over the course of a couple of days.  He also explained that the fire department was having difficulty turning the alarm lights off, not the alarm sound.

Taking no more time, Mr. Pollet told everyone to go back to their classes and bear with the flickering lights. After a couple of minutes the lights turned off and everything was back to normal.  

title="Wordle: CRTR Worlde">
src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/2139980/CRTR_Worlde"

alt="Wordle: CRTR Worlde"

style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">

It was 2 years ago. I was in 5th grade, there was a micro-burst in my town. The micro-burst was only about 15 minutes, but I'm not sure because i was at my grandparents house. That's about 20 minutes away, so all we got at my grandparents house was a bad thunder and lightning storm.

Whenever my cousins come to my house there is always bad weather, rain, thunder, lightning you name it and it happens. We were all in a small house and there was about 13 of us there, so after the storm ended we decided that we were going to go bridge jumping since the tide would high. When we left on the way back to my house to get our bathing suits and towels we couldn't find a way home. There were six people in the car (that i remember) my mom, my older sister, my younger sister, my younger brother, my older cousin, and me, all squished in the car. (We have a small car.) My younger sister and i were sitting in the back of the car, it was one of those cars were the back sits face the backwards so we were watching the whole thing from the back. We also had a another car following us because our car didn't hold everyone.

When we got to my town and started seeing everything that had happened there and what had happened at my grandparents house it was amazing. This was the first big thing that had ever happened to my small little town. Since we saw that there was no way that we could go bridge jumping, when we couldn't even get to the house.   

From the back it looked like the town have been destroyed, it was terrible. It was just amazing to me because i had never experienced something like that in my life. (nothing happens in my town) I remember there there was just everything to look at and everywhere i turned there was something new that i could take in. Trees cut in half, Power lines down in people's front yards. We were tying to find a way back to our house for 2 hours, but we finally did it! 

"Wow!" was my exact words for describing what happened to my house in the storm. My neighbors had trees down in their yards and power lines down, just like the rest of town but my house was wow! My house looked just like it did when we had left. The toys on the chair in front were still there and they were as big as your small finger nail. It was truly something to see. The only bad things we got out of the microburst that year were no electricity and not being able to leave my house for a few days.

Last summer, in August, Hurricane Bill formed of off a tropical wave off the coast of Western Africa. It turned into a tropical depression near the Cape Verde islands, then upgraded to a tropical storm. It headed over Bermuda and up the East coast, turning into a category 4 hurricane, with winds up to 135 mph. As it moved north, it lost some of its power but still managed to kill two people. As the hurricane got closer to Rye, NH, it created some great swell.

I went down to check the waves on Saturday, August 27. It was pouring with rain and as I walked onto the beach, I remember just seeing massive waves, at least 10 feet high. I saw one guy out there, one brave soul. It was way to big for me to surf. I came back the next day and it was really sunny. The waves had gotten even bigger, about 12 feet now, and if I tried to get out there on my board it would be suicide. There were a lot more guys out there though, but there were a lot of closeouts, and I remember seeing half of them taking spectacular wipe outs.

I decided to get my body board and go in a little bit, just catching waves that had already broken for the heck of it. I remember once, I paddled out a little bit further and attempted to catch a wave that was about 4 or 5 feet high, it hadn't broken yet. I managed to get into it and as I dropped in on my body board that didn't even have a leash, I just remember the wave sucking out from underneath me. I just dropped, straight to the bottom of the wave and the body board shot out from underneath me. As I hit the water, my back twisted in ways I didn't even think was possible. After that I got out of the water because my back was killing me. Just as we started to leave the lifeguards came by and kicked everyone out of the water. Good timing.

The day after that, it was Monday, I came back again. The waves were perfect; about chest to head high with overhead sets. I grabbed my 5'10 apoxy zouvi board and paddled out. I sat there for about fifteen minutes watching surfers around me catch great waves, occasionally paddling for one until someone would drop in farther down and I would have to back out so I didn't drop in on them. There is a whole surfing etiquette out there. No one speaks about it, you just know it. One rule is that you never drop in on someone else's wave. Whoever is closest to where it's breaking has right of way. Anyway, eventually my perfect wave came. Somehow, there was no one around me, and I knew that this was mine. I paddled as hard as I could, trying to get into the wave as early as possible. As soon as I felt the wave's force pulling me in, I popped up and sped across the face, almost like a dance, the crest of the wave chasing behind me. I surfed way down the beach until eventually it closed out at the very end, where I turned off the back, jumping into the water. I slid back on my board and paddled back out. I surfed for about two more hours, but I didn't know how long I had been out, I lost track of time. I went home and came back later that day, heading out again at 7:30 at night. That was some of the best surfing I had all year.

Everyone has been through some type of severe or semi-severe situation with weather. I was in May 2006. That May it was raining a lot, things were looking like they would never dry. Now, most people think that rain is no danger whatsoever, but they are wrong, rain can cause a lot of flooding, just like it did in May. It was around Mothers day when it began and that's where it got it's name, the mothers day flood, so, it was raining and everyone thought ya whatever its just rain, no big deal.

But after a while people saw just how bad it could get. It rained for almost two weeks straight, there was a lot of flooding, roads were closed, some power was out, and schools were closed everywhere. A lot of people like me had their basements flooded, we had to get a new carpet for our whole basement, and all the drywall from about 4 feet to the ground was not good so we ripped it out, we had to get new furniture, and repaint everything. Getting rid of the water took a long time, we didn't have school for days but we didn't have to make it up sionce the state had established a state of emergencey. The mother's day flood is a flood that no one will forget.

This is my weather story wordle.

The Terrible Day at Camp.

My dad, my brother, a lot of our friends and I went up to a camp in northern Maine. We had to drive a good whole day to get to the road that leads there. We then had to park the cars at our other friend's camp and snowmobile in. We hooked our trailers up to the snowmobiles and rode to the camp. The camp was a long ways away. It took us at least six hours on snowmobile to get there. Which means we were miles away form any other people. After a while I looked back and my dad's trailer that was being pulled by his snowmobile was empty. It must have flipped over and everything fell out. I stopped my snowmobile and once I did everyone else did too. They asked what was wrong and I told them to look at dad's trailer. We had to go back to get the food so we all headed back and searched for what fell out. Of course it was hard to find because it was food in the snow and it was probably already buried by the snow because it was snowing.  We went back and found most of it but not the milk. I mean how were we supposed to find milk out in the woods, while it was snowing, that was probably covered with ice and snow? Anyway we found most of it and headed back in the direction of camp. Once we got there we put our things away, ate dinner and sat by the fire.

The next day we went out to the big pond where we would go icefishing. Half way there a huge snowstorm started. It was so bad that we could barely see our own hands. We all went extremely slowly. After a while we all got into a straight line and slowly inched along. Right as we were about to stop and talk, the first person came to an quick stop. The next person who came was a friend named Brett. He didn't notice the person in front of him had stopped as he came around the corner so he kept going. He ran into the person in front of him, but luckily the people behind him had noticed and stopped. Soon everyone was around him and asked if he was alright. He said that his arm and shoulder hurt. We thought he had broken his arm and we should take him to the hospital, but there was no hospital anywhere near here. We brought him back to the camp and made him a makehsift sling. We then put him on the back of a snowmobile and took him on the four hour drive to the hospital.

Once we got there he was brought right in because there was nobody there. We waited around for a while while they did x-rays. We found out he broke his wrist and just dislocated his shoulder. We learned that we should be a lot more careful when there is a big storm and probably not go out that far. Later that day when we got back to the cabin we went icefishing. The ice was covered with snow. When all of us got to the middle of the pond we started driling the holes in the ice. We then realized that some parts of the ice weren't frozen through. Nick's leg went half way down through the ice before someone caught him. He entire leg was soaked. We brought him back to the cabin and called it a night. We ate, had smores and went to bed.

That was probably the worst night we have ever had there. That is my severe weather story. What's yours?

Weather Story

Once it was a summer day outside and we were out and swimming in a pool at our friends house, and we were swimming when all of the sudden it got dark out. We all knew that a thunder storm was coming, so we got out of the pool and went into the house. We decided to leave her house and go to our house which was just up the street and it started raining and the wind was really fast so we got to our house and went inside our house and the look outside and saw the how nasty the wind was. Trees started to fall and it was mess and then our power went out and then all of the sudden the storm stopped and it got really hot because it was summer and our power was out so we could not get power for ac. So then we started having some of the food to get rid of it so that so of the food would not go to waste. Then that night we went out and hoped when we got home that the power would be back on but it was not. So we got home and went to bed and watch some movie on the computer until the computer needed to be charged and from there we went to bed very hot. The next morning we got up and the power was still not back on it was still out but at least it was light out so that we could see things everyone in my family took a cold shower.But then our power went back on around 10:00 a.m., so that was good and we had to get rid of all the food in our refidgerator and go rebuy everything, but we did it.  

My weather wordle.

The last two weeks we have been learning about severe weather. There were four main different types of severe weather that we studied. They were tornadoes, lighting, hurricanes, and flash floods. Our teacher Mrs. Adams then gave the project we would with learning about the different weather. So in class we each were given one of the four weather topics to find facts and information about it. Then every one collected their facts and organized them with topics like safety, associated weather, and history. After all that was done we had a graded group discussion about the weather with the people who were learning about the same topic. The people learning about the other topics listen in to the discussion and took notes. I thought it was a good way of learning about the different types of severe weather.

Weather Story

Once, when I was about 4 years old, it was a bright sunny day. It was so beautiful out, I asked my mom if she would take me to the park to fly my new Winnie The Pooh kite. Of, course, she said yes because she wanted some exercise too. She said she wanted to get some different clothes on, and for me to wait there. After five minutes of waiting for my mom I got bored and looked out the window, and it was still a sunny and beautiful day. I walked over to the other side of the house and looked out the window there, and it was pouring! I sprinted back to the other side of the house and it was sunny again! I had never seen anything like that before, and I got really scared and I ran upstairs to my mom who was also amazed at this weird weather split. She told me it's okay and I went back downstairs and it was all sunny again and there was a giant rainbow arching over the Merrimack River, so I ran back upstairs and screamed to my mommy,

“LETS GO LOOK FOR THE POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW!!!”

She said that she would rather go to the park, and my mom told me to get in the car, and that she would be “right there”, so I went. Finally she came and buckled me into my car seat and we started driving to the park, and it started to hail! I had never seen hail before either, so I started crying. When we got to the park my mom calmed down, and it was all sunny again. After we got home from the park the whole process started over again, with the sun on one side, and raining on the other.

NOT KIDDING!

wEaThEr StOrY!!!

This is a Wordle of a paragraph I wrote. You can make your own at www.wordle.net/create

Three years ago on Mother's Day there was a huge flood. My Dad found that my basement was taking in a lot of water. We were pretty bad but other people got a lot worse. Some of my friends had over a foot of water. After the flood ended we had to throw out our rug and many CD's. We had about half a foot of water. Other items got ruined but it wasn't that bad. My family was fine after and we got a sump pump put in. Our sump pump runs through a hole in the wall of our basement. Every so often when there is a lot of rain we will here it running. Recently we took in some water, but the sump pump took care of it. I think that (besides being a pain) the Mother's Day flood was a good warning to get my family prepared for future floods.

title="Wordle: Hurricanes">
src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/1805205/Hurricanes"

alt="Wordle: Hurricanes"

Weather Wordle

This is my wordle. If you go on a website you can type something in and press create and it takes the most used words and makes this! This is from a lightning story that I had. Here is my story....

THE LIGHTNING HUNTERS

One day me and my sister were inside. We were very young. It was raining out so we couldn't go outside and we were both very bored. Soon it started to thunder and lightning. Me and my sister later went up to my room. We got on these cool little outfits and opened my window. It didn't have a screen in so you could reach you hand outside. We took a pin wheel. One that you put in the ground that spins when the wind comes, and stuck it out the window. Trying to get lightning to hit it. Yes I know, we weren't very smart. Lucky no lightning hit it. And that's the story of the LIGHTING HUNTERS.

Last Friday, I was at a DI competition. I was there to support my sibling, and my classmates on her team. We were there all day since very early in the morning. In the middle of the day, the team was outside playing under the stands that seat people. We came out and found them and started playing around. After about 10 minutes it started to hail and whip sleet in our faces. It got so bad that we ran behind cars, and then ran back into the building. When we got back inside, we were all red and all wet. But after that, the DI team came in 2nd place and are going to states!

One day at the lake a storm came it was powerful. The wind started to get stronger. I could see the wind coming across the lake it was soaring over the water. The wall of wind crossed the lake and hit. The wind was so strong, I ran to get indoors and got hit in the face with a twig it was crazy. I could lean on the wind it was so strong. I ran inside, the lawn chairs started to fly into the woods so the family had to put them under the deck just as we did the wind stopped.

This is my wordle of when there was a huge wind storm up in Rangely, Maine. I was skiing at Saddleback. The mountain was closed for two days because of this severe weather.