Copyright (c) 2014 by LJJA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
LJJA -- Blogmeister

LJJA

Class of 2012-2013

by LJJA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Nazca Lines

En mi opinión, las líneas son interesantes porque ellos tienen muchos animales. Los Nazcas hacen las figuras. Ellos hacen las líneas hace 2000 años. Las líneas tienen rocas. Ellos son visibles desde un avión. Nosotros no sabemos por qué las lineas. Hay un pequeña posibilidad hay un gráfico radial! Uno de las líneas es de un mono. Otro es de una araña. Las líneas son muy interesantes.

Es mi figura favorita.

Overview

This is my 5 paragraph essay comparing the German culture with the Roman Culture. This is going to go in my 7th grade portfolio.

5 Paragraph Essay Romans vs. Germans

Have you ever wondered what the Germanic tribes that took the Romans place were like? When Rome began to weaken and the tribes moved further into Rome there was a lot of culture being mixed together. Western Rome and the Germans lived side by side. This created some similarities and a lot of differences. Their governments were nothing alike. They both like to fight. But the conditions on which they lived were very different. For this essay I’m going to compare the two cultures.

First is the government and law. The Roman Empire was a military dictatorship. It was controlled by the emperor and his army. The emperor had the final say and was usually backed by his military and guard. The Germans had a very different view on government. They believed that law should come from the people. The German rulers couldn’t change a law if the people didn’t agree. The Germans also didn’t write down their law as opposed to the Romans who did (twelve tables).

The next thing that to compare is warfare. The Romans fought a lot of battles but always claimed to be on the defensive. They were a well-organized fighting force. The Germans were different. They didn’t hide their love for warfare at all. In the Roman Empire you might get money if you defeat somebody but the Germanic people earned status based on how strong of a warrior they were. Depending on how many fights you won you might be elected Chieftain (leader of a set of warriors) by your fellow warriors.

The last thing that to compare is the difference in the way the Romans and tribal Germans lived. Rich Romans lived in incredible mansions and led luxurious lifestyles. The larger percent of the population (poor people) lived crammed together on islands (large apartment buildings). The Germans lived differently. They had simple thatched roof hut that they split in half. Half for them and half for the animals. The animal's’ body heat would warm the hut and would be a way that they could heat their huts. There was also not nearly as big a gap in the rich and poor in Germanic society then there was in Roman society. This was because the Germans were an agricultural society where most of the people were farmers. This left a very small gap between the lower and upper classes.

To conclude, there are a lot of differences in these two cultures: warfare, government, and how they lived. The Germans had a much simpler way of life compared to the Romans. They both liked warfare but the benefits from winning a battle were different. The government was a people’s government for the Germans and a military dictatorship for the Romans. These cultures had some similarities but were very different overall.

For social studies we made a Roman Gladiator Journal. It detailed what life would be like as a Roman Gladiator. Here is an excerpt from my journal.

Excerpt: A lot has happened since my last entry. 1st off, everyone that is training with me are either criminals, slaves, and prisoners. We are fed very well though. They keep us on a high calorie diet so that we are fit to fight. Some things that we eat are snails, boar, boiled crane, egg sponge, pigs and pig brains, flamingo, and apricot stew. This is much better than what I ate as a Gaul. I also get expert medical care. On to other things now. I have to practice hard daily. They don’t quite trust me yet with a real sword so they give me wooden one. I practice hard on dummies and if I don’t I get whipped by my trainer. An average day for me is pretty simple. I get up early and eat a high-calorie breakfast, and then I go out and train. I then go back to my bed and bunk with the dregs of society.

I researched the Peloponnesian War. My group divided the work into who, what, when, where, and why. I was responsible for the what. I found information on Ebsco Host and in the textbook.

Article posted October 28, 2011 at 04:16 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 64

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished Module 1 in math class. We learned about probability, analyzing a graph, algebra equations for patterns, and order of operations.

For the probability unit we did a number of things. We played games that we recorded the results of and we also did a lot of games involving dice. This all led up to a mini project that I did with my friend Carmelo. We put 20 baseball cards in a hat and did 100 random draws. This was my favorite probability activity.

For the order of operations unit we did a lot of worksheets. We learned how to use brackets and parentheses in our equations. This was definitely my favorite unit. I think that I'm pretty good with multi-step problems.

This trimester we had to get 100 math points. There was one class period Ms. Hart let me do math points. I did a ton of them and handed them in. The total came out to 176.

We also did a lot of algebra equation by looking at patterns. We did a lot of worksheets and activities for this.

Sincerely,

Jaco

Do you know the parts of your eye?

We started out learning about the eye in science. We are also looking forward to meeting the new LA teacher.

Article posted September 23, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 217

Science: So far this year we have done a few things. We have seen a vodcast on cuttlefish that introduced 3 types of camouflage. The 3 types of camouflage were uniform mottled and disruptive. We also heard a podcast on the tallest point in the world. It actually isn't Mt. Everest. It's a mountain called Mt. Jimbraso. It is sitting on a huge bump so that makes it taller that Mt. Everest. We have also done a few sketches in our science composition books. I sketched 2 flowers in the school's garden. I sketched a Morning Glory and a Hosta. I also sketched the chrysalis hanging from the ceiling. I enjoy making labeled sketches. My third and favorite thing we've done so far is when we went out to Parson Field. We were supposed to write about what we heard, saw, felt, and smelled. I spotted a paper wasp's nest. I liked just sitting down writing about our senses were noticing. It was a lot fun and I hope we do more of it in science. SCIENCE IS THE #1 CLASS. Life Skills: So far this year in life skills we have made 2 things. We first made salsa. We all brought in a salsa recipe. The we made the salsa. I chopped the onions and started to cry. It stung my eyes. We also made brochette. It tasted really good. I chopped tomatoes. Tech Ed: In tech ed we have learned about safety around tools that could be dangerous if they're not used properly. We have also started making ping pong paddles. We drew outlines and Mr. Visciano sawed away the wood. He used 2 different drills. One for cutting away big pieces and one for cutting detail. I'm almost finished with mine. Art: This year in art we have been studying contour lines. Our first project with contour lines was making a sketch of a fruit or vegetable. Then we copied it on linoleum. Next we begin two carve away the outline. That is where I'm at now. I'm sure mine will come out good because a I saw Mrs. Vitali's and it looked really cool covered in ink. Music: So far this year in music we have learned a few things. We have learned a few beats on the drums from Mrs. Wirth. We have also worked on reading notes and then playing them on the piano. We all got assigned our own piano. I'm enjoying music much more than last year and look forward to it every week. Band: In band this year we've learned a few new songs. We've learned Victor's March and Up on the Housetop. I'm finding band more challenging than last year but I get more time to practice. I have band 3 times a week. Chorus: This year in chorus I've learned to sing a few new songs. My favorite song is Doo a Diddy. It has a really fun solo where someone sings and then everybody echoes back. We have also sang a song called The Piano Man. I really like that song. Gym: In gym this year we have done 2 things. The 1st thing we did was a group game called nitro crossing. We had two swing across a field hockey stick and get everybody across without touching the ground in between the cones. If we touched it we'd have to start over. We also had to get a bucket full of wiffle balls across without any balls falling out. If any balls fell out we'd have to start over. We have also started a basketball unit that teaches the basics of passing and shooting. Spanish: In Spanish we have had 2 lessons and 2 tests so far. Our first test was on the Spanish speaking world. Me and 1 other girl were the only kids in the grade to get the extra credit question. Our next test was on the alphabet. I got the letter k wrong. Spanish is really hard this year and I’m having trouble with it. Math: So far this year in math we have done a lot of ratios. Our homework assignments have also been consisting of ratios. To me the most fun lesson of math was when we worked with M&M’s. After we completed our worksheet we got to eat the M&M’s. Then we did an open response on our opinion of the job the M&M quality control was doing. To me the most challenging part of math so far is math points. We have to get 100 math points every trimester! Language Arts: Language arts this year has been my second favorite subject. It has not been this way in past years but this year has been a lot better. The assignments we get are more fun and a little more challenging. I also like it in L.A. because when we have free time we get to visit the library. Every night we have to read for 30 minutes and when we have additional assignments they’re usually not to long. I like language arts and I hope I continue the year liking it. Social Studies: From the beginning of the year to now our focus in social studies has been geography. So far we have learned about the seven continents and 5 oceans(they named a new ocean above Antarctica). The other thing we have been studying is climate zones. Something I like about social studies is that if Mrs. Collyer thinks your tired, she gets the whole class on their feet and we play a game to wake everybody up. I like social studies and look forward to it ever day.