Copyright (c) 2014 by LJJA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
LJJA -- Blogmeister

LJJA

Class of 2012-2013

by LJJA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Nazca Lines

En mi opinión, las líneas son interesantes porque ellos tienen muchos animales. Los Nazcas hacen las figuras. Ellos hacen las líneas hace 2000 años. Las líneas tienen rocas. Ellos son visibles desde un avión. Nosotros no sabemos por qué las lineas. Hay un pequeña posibilidad hay un gráfico radial! Uno de las líneas es de un mono. Otro es de una araña. Las líneas son muy interesantes.

Es mi figura favorita.

Overview

This is my 5 paragraph essay comparing the German culture with the Roman Culture. This is going to go in my 7th grade portfolio.

5 Paragraph Essay Romans vs. Germans

Have you ever wondered what the Germanic tribes that took the Romans place were like? When Rome began to weaken and the tribes moved further into Rome there was a lot of culture being mixed together. Western Rome and the Germans lived side by side. This created some similarities and a lot of differences. Their governments were nothing alike. They both like to fight. But the conditions on which they lived were very different. For this essay I’m going to compare the two cultures.

First is the government and law. The Roman Empire was a military dictatorship. It was controlled by the emperor and his army. The emperor had the final say and was usually backed by his military and guard. The Germans had a very different view on government. They believed that law should come from the people. The German rulers couldn’t change a law if the people didn’t agree. The Germans also didn’t write down their law as opposed to the Romans who did (twelve tables).

The next thing that to compare is warfare. The Romans fought a lot of battles but always claimed to be on the defensive. They were a well-organized fighting force. The Germans were different. They didn’t hide their love for warfare at all. In the Roman Empire you might get money if you defeat somebody but the Germanic people earned status based on how strong of a warrior they were. Depending on how many fights you won you might be elected Chieftain (leader of a set of warriors) by your fellow warriors.

The last thing that to compare is the difference in the way the Romans and tribal Germans lived. Rich Romans lived in incredible mansions and led luxurious lifestyles. The larger percent of the population (poor people) lived crammed together on islands (large apartment buildings). The Germans lived differently. They had simple thatched roof hut that they split in half. Half for them and half for the animals. The animal's’ body heat would warm the hut and would be a way that they could heat their huts. There was also not nearly as big a gap in the rich and poor in Germanic society then there was in Roman society. This was because the Germans were an agricultural society where most of the people were farmers. This left a very small gap between the lower and upper classes.

To conclude, there are a lot of differences in these two cultures: warfare, government, and how they lived. The Germans had a much simpler way of life compared to the Romans. They both liked warfare but the benefits from winning a battle were different. The government was a people’s government for the Germans and a military dictatorship for the Romans. These cultures had some similarities but were very different overall.

For social studies we made a Roman Gladiator Journal. It detailed what life would be like as a Roman Gladiator. Here is an excerpt from my journal.

Excerpt: A lot has happened since my last entry. 1st off, everyone that is training with me are either criminals, slaves, and prisoners. We are fed very well though. They keep us on a high calorie diet so that we are fit to fight. Some things that we eat are snails, boar, boiled crane, egg sponge, pigs and pig brains, flamingo, and apricot stew. This is much better than what I ate as a Gaul. I also get expert medical care. On to other things now. I have to practice hard daily. They don’t quite trust me yet with a real sword so they give me wooden one. I practice hard on dummies and if I don’t I get whipped by my trainer. An average day for me is pretty simple. I get up early and eat a high-calorie breakfast, and then I go out and train. I then go back to my bed and bunk with the dregs of society.

I researched the Peloponnesian War. My group divided the work into who, what, when, where, and why. I was responsible for the what. I found information on Ebsco Host and in the textbook.

Article posted October 28, 2011 at 04:16 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 74

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished Module 1 in math class. We learned about probability, analyzing a graph, algebra equations for patterns, and order of operations.

For the probability unit we did a number of things. We played games that we recorded the results of and we also did a lot of games involving dice. This all led up to a mini project that I did with my friend Carmelo. We put 20 baseball cards in a hat and did 100 random draws. This was my favorite probability activity.

For the order of operations unit we did a lot of worksheets. We learned how to use brackets and parentheses in our equations. This was definitely my favorite unit. I think that I'm pretty good with multi-step problems.

This trimester we had to get 100 math points. There was one class period Ms. Hart let me do math points. I did a ton of them and handed them in. The total came out to 176.

We also did a lot of algebra equation by looking at patterns. We did a lot of worksheets and activities for this.

Sincerely,

Jaco

Do you know the parts of your eye?