MRBR

In Social Studies class, we wrote an essay about Germans and Romans and compared how they lived. We had two major goals. First, we wanted to compare how Germans and Romans were similar and different. Next, we wanted to practice our 5 paragraph essay writing skills. Here is an my essay!

German Essay

The Germans. They come into Rome and take over because it is weak. Naturally, you’d think they were just like the Romans, only slightly different. That’s where you are very wrong. The Germans were actually very different from the Romans, though they did have some similarities. If you aren’t Mr. Waters, you might be wondering who these Germans were. The Germans were a mixed group of people. The women, children, and the slaves were farmers, while the men were warriors. Though the Germans loved battle, (for the most part) they were also very hospitable. In fact, it was even against the law to abandon somebody when they came to the door.

To truly understand how the Germans and Romans were alike and different, we have to look at three major factors. First, the army. Second, the village life. Lastly, the law. So please, if you are not an educated person in the Germanic people or the Romans and their way of life, listen up. (please!)

The army of the Roman Empire and the Germans’ warfare were very different. Germans did not have generals as the Romans did. They had what was called a chieftain. The chieftain was the leader of its clan. The clans were similar to the Roman legions, though far smaller. The clans were groups of people that shared their family ties. To become a chieftain of your clan, you had to be an excellent fighter as well as loyal. Unlike the Germans, Romans had a fixed plan when fighting. The Germans (warrior bands) fought chaotically , running wildly and yelling so they could frighten off their enemies. The Roman army was well organized and disciplined, much to the contrary of the Romans. Germans had their chief god, Wodan, to influence them. Wodan was the god of war, poetry, learning, and magic. Romans’ two chief gods that influenced them. One was Mars, the god of war and violence and the other was Jupiter, the king and ruler of the gods and ruler of the sky. They both had gods to influence their military actions.

The Romans were more civilized than the Germans. The Germans weren’t as refined as the Romans were either. They also had a smaller gap between rich and poor. Romans lived either luxuriously or poorly. There were the very rich and the very poor, where the Germans did not have such a gap. They did have the slightly less fortunate and the more fortunate, but they still lived together and were far different from the Romans with their village life, though some things were similar. The male was always dominant (as usual) of the family and the women and children tended to the agricultural work. Agricultural here means that they did lots of farming. Their villages were surrounded by fields and pastures and farmlands. The Romans had their servants/farmers grow crops. or, they would use trade.

The Germans were a more democratic society and had to have their people vote on their laws before getting them passed or changed. Instead of writing laws, they memorized them and taught them to their children. They also based laws off of their ancestors’ customs. The Romans however, had their Senate and Emperor work with new laws, and the commoners had no say. The Germans had their own people decide and vote their laws. They wanted everybody to get a say so there would be less chaos with people who didn’t want those laws to be passed. Romans were very different in this way from the Germans.

In conclusion, the army, village life, and law were only some of the major differences between Germans and Romans. This was a big event in European history. Rome was such a big empire, though it crumbled and Germans (or barbarians) took over. They are so very different from the Romans.

This is my Voki. I've created it MAGICALLY to tell you about what's going on at my school.

Okay. Do any of you find it odd that the most snow we've had all winter was the first day of MARCH?! And there wasn't even that much snow! Today on March 8, we got temperatures in the 60s! This is just crazy. Tonight is also the night we should be able to see the Auroras! How exciting! This is MRBR signing out!

Let's see... snow on Halloween? Unlikely. Halloween was moved! But things got weirder! Somehow we've only gotten a few inches of snow... unusual. Perhaps the Earth's atmosphere is at an odd tilt. Grown-ups? You must be happy. No snow except for a couple of inches is good for you, but for us? WE WANT SNOW!!! Wake up Mother Nature!!! This is New England! WE NEED SNOW!!!

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 03:30 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 41

It was late on Wednesday, the 4th of January, 2012. I was curled up with a good book when I jumped to my feet. I had just remembered. The meteor shower!!! I ran downstairs, grabbed my thickest coat, pulled on my hat and sneakers and bolted out the door. As I let my eyes adjust, I sat down against my garage door and gazed hopefully up into the night sky. It was extremely cold, but after sitting there awhile, I didn't mind. The sky was clear and cloudless with the thin winter air making it easier to see. I looked up at Polaris, the North Star and suddenly, a flash of light streaked through the Big Dipper. I smiled to myself and saw yet another right by Polaris. I stayed there for a while more went by. My little siblings, wondering where I was, came out of the door. I directed them to the Big Dipper. They squealed in excitement at seeing something they'd heard about their whole life and skipped back into the door to tell my parents. Unfortunately, they came out again and informed me I had to come back in for they didn't want me catching a cold. Though I had to go back in, it was amazing, beautiful, and everything I had hoped it would be.

1. I researched the battle of Salamis with SJCA, KHGR and RHJO.

2. Our group divided the work like this: ME: Who, What, Where, When, Picture, Diagram, Major computer work and Work Cited. SJCA: Important Details. KHGR: Effects, Introduction. RHJO: Cause/Why.

3. We found information for our project on EBSCOhost and it was very useful. We used as much information as would fit in our frames.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 03:32 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

How well do you really know your eyes? This diagram is sure to help!

In Science class, we've started to learn all about the eye; the cornea, the retina, the pupil,... In Math we've started off refreshing our memories by doing some graph work, basic mathematics, etc.. In Social Studies we got our textbooks! We are going to be learning about prehistory and such. In L.A. we're looking forward to the new 7th grade teacher! Yay! See you real soon!