Copyright (c) 2014 by PRVI Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
PRVI -- Blogmeister

PRVI-

by PRVI teacher: Rye 8th Team

Las Lĺneas de Nazca están en el Perú.

las líneas están en un desierto en el sur de Perú.

Alguaas de las figuras son de una araña,ballena,mono y ave.

Es necesario tomar un avión para ver las líneas.

las líneas tienen tres o cuatro mil años.

las líneas son muy grandes.

las líneas de Nazca son un misterio.

En el área de Nazca hay una seriede de dibujos misteriosos.

Nosotros no sabemos hacer las figuras.

las líneas de Nazca son muy interesantes.

Me gustaría ir a ver Las Líneas de Nazca algún dia.

alt="Wordle: Isles of Shoals " style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">

In Social Studies Class we wrote a 5 paragraph essay. This was to help us learn the information on how to write a good essay and compare the right information about the Romans and Germans.

German Essay

The Germans were very knowledgeable and agricultural tribe. About 400 years after Christ was born the Germans decided to leave the marshes and forests to search for warmer climates and better grazing land for their cattle. They slowly ended up at the Roman Empire from which they were attracted by the wealth and culture Rome had. For a while the Romans believed the Germans were enemies and would not let them in. Later on Rome began to fall and could no longer keep them out. Rome then let groups of Germans move into the Danube River Valley, where the Germans way of living combined with Romans ways of living. Both the Germans and Romans had very many differences three major ones being their way of living and their house, another being their laws, and the last one which was their fighters and warriors. The Romans however were very warlike people. They had a legend about how they found Rome it was how two brothers Romulus and Remus who were cared for by a she wolf and were known to be an offspring of the god Mars. The two brothers grew to be older and decided to build a city but they couldn't agree on who should be the ruler of the city.Each of them then climbed to the top of a different hill and waited for a sign from the gods. Then 12 vultures flew over Romulus hill and he claimed that was a sign from the gods and killed Remus. These are two very different types of people that had to try to get along.

The first difference the Romans and Germans had was they both had a very different way of living. The Germans lived in small huts and shared it with animals. The animal's body heat would keep the huts warm in the winter. Long benches and tables were the only pieces of furniture inside the huts. The Germans spent their time and living herding cattle or selling them for riches. In the women's spare time they would often spin or weave wool. Even though the Germans lived in Rome they still kept a lot of their own culture. Wealthy Romans however, lived in domuses which were homes that included gardens, small pools, marble walls, colored stone floors, and windows made of small panes of glass. Poorer Romans lived in islands, which were six stories high and covered a whole blocks. They did not have a lot of furniture. The Romans spent most of their time working if they were poor and rich Romans spent their time on soft couches outside or in the bath houses bathing and socializing with fellow rich Romans.

The second big difference the Romans and Germans had was the Law. The Romans law was very complex and believed that it came before the Emperor. The Romans laws were written on the 12 tablets. The Germans, on the other hand, believed that the laws had to get passed by the people before turning into a law. They couldn't change the laws unless the people voted on it or approved the law. The Germans passed down their laws from adults to children by memorizing them.

The German men were warriors who spend their time fighting, hunting, and making weapons. German boys started their training at a young age and when they reached manhood they had a special gathering, making them a warrior. The Germans were broken up into two different groups called clans. The clans were different groups which were based off their family ties. At first the Germans gave their most loyal boys and men to fight in their clan. After a while the men grew a strong loyalty to the chieftain, also known as a military leader. A man had to fight well to become a chieftain. The Romans fought as a very successful army with multiple fighting techniques. They were very strong and healthy. They were also well disciplined. The Roman army had good armor which helped them move faster and win a lot of battles.They had sandals which helped them move faster and long shields to protect them.

In conclusion the Germans and Romans had very many differences including the way they fought battles and if they had an army or warriors, what they spent most of their time doing ,or even how their law was run. Anyways they had to find a way to get along and face their differences they had. Even though both the Germans and Romans had completely different lifestyles and cultures they both decided a way that they liked and could get along.

This is the layers of the atmosphere. This was a study guide to help us learn the layers in order one thing that helped me was tropical storms mess things up.

This is my voki and it will tell you what I've been learning in both Math class and in Social Studies.

This is my science valentine. In science we used the information that we learned over the last month and put it in a valentine for valentines day. This helped us learn how to use Glogster and refresh our memory.

The following is an exerpt from our Roman Gladiator journal we did in Social Studies. It talks about the life of a Roman Gladiator the Coliseum and the way of living in Rome..

The Roman Gladiator Journal Excerpt

Today is the 9th of January 2011. We found this ancient journal that was left behind by a Roman Gladiator by the name of Antonius Domitius. It was found early this morning in the substructure where the cages use to be. That’s where they would often contain the Gladiators and animals before the fight. It tells us so much new information that we may have never know without this. He talks a lot about how he is a Murmillo Gladiator and how often he would have to train. One of the things that us historians found very interesting was how often he would talk about his best friend Titus and of course his family. When his family heard that himself and his best friend Titus were both bought by a wealthy roman to become a gladiator they were very disappointed.  His family didn’t want him to go off to training school and learn how to become a Gladiator because they were very nervous of him never coming back to help with the family business and of course  risking his life. He was the oldest of 3 and had 2 younger sisters. They lived in a small house by their family business. Titus his best friend also left his family and went on to also become a Roman Gladiator. The sad part was when they heard the news of what type of Gladiator they would become. Titus became a Hoplomachus Gladiator while Antonius became a Murmillo. The both got really upset about this. This was the most common match up to make the fights fun to watch. They didn’t want to get matched up to one another and have to risk their own life or even their best friend’s life. Right now we are getting the journal analyzed and getting all the information out of it that we may need for later in history. We also need to make sure it is ok to publish and put it in the town library. Hear take a look at some of the entries. There has to be at least over 450 entries in hear it’s all about how his life started and ended as a Gladiator.

I’m now off to my first Performance and I’m really nervous. All of our performances were always held in the Coliseum or nicknamed the sand arena because everything was covered in san to soak up the blood. Before the coliseum was built they would often fight in rich people’s houses. It is the most recognizable building in Rome.  Did you know that before it was built they had already been building amphitheaters off of the same module? When I saw the amphitheater my first question was how big it is and the answer is 188 x 156m or 48.5 miles wow that’s big! I win! I just faced a Retiarius the fishermen Gladiator.

The awnings were an amazing feature they were what kept the coliseum from getting too hot. When the interior got hit by the sun it got really hot. Sometimes on really hot days the emperor would remove the awnings and demand no one to leave. Without them I would be literally dying during the performance. It was a very hard challenge to keep the entire arena shaded at times. To help with the issue of keeping it completely shaded they had a very unique feature, a retractable roof. To be able to have the awnings they were held up by a system of ropes hanging from 240 bays on the top story of the building.

The plan started out in an oval shaped footprint. All of the performances that were held happened in the forum. It ended up being a semicircular plan. The arena is and ellipse. It was made like this so it was a good view for everyone. It bothered the romans a lot if there was a mixed crowd. To fix this issue they sorted out the spectators by rank. They also sorted senators and rich people into men and women. They would get the front rows of seating and the women would often have to sit in the back on wooden stools. They had separate seats for bachelors and soldiers. The only way that people and gladiators could only access the arena from the individual corridor exit. They would often have separate entrances to control the large crowd.

The arena’s seats were separated by a high parapet these helped so no one in the crowd would get injured during the performance. It was steeply ranked seating so wherever you sat you could see. Not only gladiatorial games were held here but sometimes beast fights took place here along with slaves and even sometimes Christians were executed here for discipline along with some criminals as well. Something that I thought was cool was the graffiti in the bottom of the arena it is even called graffiti.

My favorite part of the arena was the substructure because this is where I was able to contain myself before the fights or performances happened. There were 32 cages that held the animals and gladiators before the performance. I would often write my journal entries before I went to perform. I would write the date and who I was going against and a note to my family in case I didn’t get that chance to hoping someone may find where I left it someday. All the cages lead through narrow passages that lead to the arena. They had upper floors to watch the beasts and prisoners. The lifts would help lift scenery up for the stage set.

The first 3 levels had about 80 columns to create a framed arch. There was always an entrance to go through because there was a total of about 76. Each entrance would lead to a spectator. The emperor’s party entered from the North, Consuls entered from the South entrance, Performers would enter from the West and then dead bodies were left by the East wing.