Copyright (c) 2014 by SRBR Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SRBR -- Blogmeister

SRBR-

by SRBR teacher: Rye 8th Team

Title: Germans vs. Romans Essay (05/03/12)

Romans vs. Germans Essay

We were assigned to write a five paragraph essay comparing the ancient Romans and the early Germans for social studies class.

Despite being interested in the Roman way of life and moving closer to the Roman Empire, the Germans continued to live in the manner in which they were accustomed. The Romans and Germans each practiced their own ways of living with little influence on one another for many years.The manner in which they trained soldiers and treated enemies, lived in their homes, and wrote their laws were very different. The Romans lived in cities and the Germans lived in the country. The Romans disciplined and trained soldiers intensely and the Germans raised boys to be warriors. The Romans wrote laws and the Germans memorized laws that were chosen by the people.

The Germanic people and Romans trained their soldiers and treated their enemies very differently. Germans began training boys for war when they were young. Young adult males were given spears and a shield in a special ceremony. They were required to carry these weapons with them at all times or risk losing the respect of their fellow men. German fighters were divided into clans which were based on family relationships. The bands of warriors did not make specific plans to fight, but rather roamed the countryside raiding their enemies in surprise attacks. They also believed in leaving their enemies dead on the battlefield.The Romans, however, trained their soldiers for hours. They marched for days and taught their soldiers to build fortresses when they were traveling to protect themselves against attacks. They also were somewhat kind to the people they conquered. They did not tax them, allowed them to become citizens, and let them keep their governments. In return, the Romans asked that the people they conquered to become members of their army.

The Romans and Germans lived in two very different types of homes and environments. The Romans lived in Rome, Italy, which was a very crowded city of almost 1 million people. Pollution, a high cost of living, crime, and few places for people to live made living in Rome difficult for many. Most people lived in 6 story apartment buildings called islands. A shop was often located on the ground floor and upstairs there were dark, windowless, rooms that had no plumbing. Rich Romans lived in multiple story houses that had indoor plumbing and were decorated with expensive stone and jewels. Most Germans lived in villages in the country. Their homes were huts with thatched roofs. The Germans kept animals at one end of their huts while they lived in the opposite end. The heat from the animals kept them warm on a cold winter night. Their furniture consisted of a few wooden tables and chairs.

The Germans and Romans made their laws in different ways. Roman judges often had to write new laws to help them do business with people in territories that they recently conquered. Judges wrote laws with the help of lawyers and other legal writers called juries prudentes. Over time, they developed laws that they felt were fair to everyone in the Roman Empire. They also made their legal rules the same so that everyone was governed in the same manner. The Germans, however, had their laws come from the people. Laws could not be changed without their approval. In addition, laws were never written down, but memorized. Families were expected to teach their children the law to remember when they became adults.

The contrast between the manner in which the Romans and Germans lived their lives was evident in many ways. Law making, living conditions, and the training of soldiers and enemy treatment were completely different for each group. German soldiers were trained at a young age and fought in clans that left dead enemies on the battle field, while Roman soldiers started training and were disciplined heavily. Roman life was very civilized with two general house types for rich and poor, while the Germans lived in villages where they slept with livestock in their huts. The Romans wrote their laws down, while the Germans memorized the laws that were chosen by the people. The Romans and the Germans took years to understand one another and adopt each other's characteristics.

Overview Of Assignment

The point of this was to learn how to write and format a 5 paragraph essay. This also helped us to learn the differences of Romans and Germans.

The Germans VS. The Romans

You won't believe how the Germans and Romans were so alike yet different at the same time, if you want to figure out how then read this. The Germans are a type of people with their own civilization they lived in villages and took care of cattle. They used a lot of Roman traditions but keep much of their own culture. The Germanic people have some similarities and differences to Romans but they like to follow in their own traditions. Some ways we are going to compare are by differences, similarities and just describing them.

The Romans lived in cities as opposed to the Germanic culture who live in villages. The Germans lived in huts, and Romans lived in apartments and the rich had running water. The Germans even shared their houses with their cattle, they split the house in half so the body heat from the animals would be enough to heat the whole house/hut.

The Roman Army was a very strong and powerful army because they were so well trained and disciplined, either they died in battle or by being killed by their own army from when they tried to run away. The German warriors practiced for war when they were young boys. They spent most of their time making weapons for fighting and hunting.

The Romans believed that laws came from the emperor. The Germans believed that the laws came from the people. So that the people could decide what they wanted the law to be. Which made Germans think that life was more fair because it was chosen by what the people wanted. In Germany if you committed a crime you had to take an oath to declare if you were guilty or innocent, if you lied while taking an oath - helped by an oath-helper - or if you were guilty you were punished by the Gods. On the other hand in Rome everybody was considered innocent until proven guilty, because everybody was equal before the law.

Some other ways the German culture decided guilt or innocence was by an ordeal- a severe trial. The accused person had to walk bare-foot across red-hot coals or put their arm in boiling water. If they were innocent the burns would heal in three days.

The Romans and the Germans are very different people as you can see. For instance The Romans and the Germans housing styles were completely different, Romans could decline guests and Germans had to except and offer food and entertainment. Also They both had people to fight for them the Romans had a very strongly equipped army. The Germans had Warriors who were very strong as well. The Romans believe that laws come from the emperor and the Germans think that the people should choose the laws. So those facts just prove that the Romans and Germans are very similar but yet two completely different types of people.

Reflection

In social studies we were asked to write an essay regarding the differences between the Roman and the German culture. We were working on our 5 paragraph essay skills. We researched information in our textbooks and wrote it in the form of a five paragraph essay. Some things I did well were the body of my essay was jam packed with details and vocabulary. Some things that I feel I could have done better on is my introduction and conclusion.

Essay

German vs Roman Culture

The Germans culture was different from the culture of the great Roman empire. The Germans were a village society just within the Roman borders. They had a simpler and more warlike way of living. They herded cattle and grew food in a country side area. The Germans and the Romans had different armies, government, cities, and homes.

One comparison between the culture of the Germans and the Romans is the government was incredibly different. The Germans believed laws did not come from the emperor or king, as the Romans believed, but believed that it came from the people. Another way the government is different is the Germans decided innocence from oaths. First someone would get an oath helper that said if its client was guilty or not and swore they were telling the truth. Sometimes though it was decided by ordeal. This meant they would for example, walk over hot coals or put their hand in boiling water to see if the burn would heal in three days. Whereas the Romans did not tie in their religion to deciding innocence or guilt, they had judges who enforced the law on the twelve tablets. In addition, the government is different because the Romans had standardized laws that were fair to everyone, and the laws were equal to everyone.

Another way roman culture was different from German culture is the Romans had different homes and cities. One way they were different is the Germans had thatched-roofed huts with plenty of open space around them. This is similar to the homes of rich or the domus. However more of the population was poor rather than rich so the poor urban people lived in something similar to apartment buildings called islands. These islands were unsanitary and packed with poor people. Another way they are different is the biggest city in all of Rome, called Rome had more than a million people whereas the Germans lived a more rural live style and did not have many cities especially with large populations. The Romans also did not have the type of hospitality that the germans had because the Germans would let anyone in and have a feast, drink, and dance. This tradition was put into German law.

One more comparison is the army was different between the Romans and the Germans. The Roman army was divided into legions, however the German army was divided into clans. Each clan had a chieftain, who was elected to run the clan. Another comparison is the Roman legions and legionaries that worked as a unit and was an organized fighting force. In the legions there were groups that could split up and attack, while the German warriors did have small groups that fought for their chieftain, but did not have organized ways of fighting. Also the Romans had very strong standard equipment, while the Germans had different weapons and various leather armor.

In conclusion the Roman and German culture was very different. The Germans had a simple self-sufficient village life, that was very warlike and at the same time very hospitable, and the Romans were a complicated large trading empire that had a strong, disciplined and organized army.

Overview - The point of this project was to compear what we know about the ancient Romans culture to what we know about the anceint Germans culture.We also were working on making a 5 paragraph essay.

Germans VS. Romans

The German people’s way of life was very different to that of which of the Romans. The German Warriors were different than the Romans. The laws were different and thirdly the daily life was different.

The warriors were different. The German warriors were given a shield and a sword and if they lost the shield and/or the sword it meant they lost their honor. The romans used a double-edged iron swords. The German warriors loyalties were to the cheiftain or person elected by a band of warriors. Where as the Roman warriors were organized into legions and they listened to the leader of their legion. Lastly the German bands didn’t have a plan when going into fights. It was more like surprise raids. However the Roman legions trained never stopped training they took long marches daily.

The laws were different. The German laws came from the people. Unless the German people approved, the rulers couldn’t make or change laws. The Roman laws came from the emperors. The German laws were based on the customs of their ancestors and the Romans came from the emperors. The german laws weren’t written down but memorized and passed down. Whatever the Roman emperor said was final.

The daily life of the Romans was different than that of the Germans. The average Roman lived in apartments and the higher up the apartment the lower the cost. The average German lived in open spaces in thatched- roof huts. Roman women could work in or own a show. German women would help the children and enslaved farm.

So in conclusion, the Romans were very different from the Germans in many different ways. Such as their warriors dressed and trained differently. The laws were made differently and the daily life was fairly different.

Overview- For this assignment I was asked to write a five paragraph essay comparing the lives of the Romans and the Germans. The other skill that we were practicing was writing a five paragraph essay. Here it is!

At the fall of the Roman Empire there was a new group trying to make their way into the Roman borders. They were known as the Germans. The Germans were attracted by Rome’s wealth and culture and hoped to live peacefully inside the borders, but the Romans viewed them as enemies and fought to keep them off of their land for many years. Finally by 300 A.D the Empire began its fall and could not keep the Germans out. The Germans and Romans lived very different lives. They had a very different system of laws, they had a much different way in battle, and their lives in their villages was extremely different. It will eventually create great conflict between the two groups of people.

The Germans lived a very different lifestyle than the Romans. The Germans lived in small villages, surrounded by pastures and farmland. They lived in long thatched roof huts, their animals lived in one side of the hut, which helped to warm the hut during cold winters, and the family lived in the other half of the hut. The only furniture they had were wooden tables and benches that lined the walls. They lived within extended families, including parents, children, grandparents all living together and helping out with the chores needed to sustain their household. German villagers made a living by herding cattle, which provided food and clothing. They also traded cattle for Roman vessels, jewelry, and table articles. They were an agrarian society. They grew barley, rye, wheat, beans, and peas. Most of the farming was done by the women, children, or enslaved people. When women were not farming or cooking, they spun wool and made cloth on an upright loom, which they then used to make their clothing. Unlike the Germans the Romans lived in cities. The wealthy lived in a domus or house. These were more grand than the simple dwellings in which the Germans lived. They were constructed with marble walls, colored stone floors, a furnace and windows made of small glass panes. Pipes brought water to all floors so the inhabitants could bathe in their own homes. The poor lived in a building called an island. It was generally six stories high and each island covered one entire city block. The ground floor was a workshop. There was no running water or furnace and sometimes there weren’t even windows. One had to climb a ladder to the upper floors. The higher the floor, the lower the rent. Romans were all educated until they were twelve then it depended on if they could pay for it or not if they would go back to school, unlike the Germans who only learned to read and write if they chose to. The Romans were a much more civilized group of people then the Germans, that is why their lifestyles were so different.

The Romans and Germans laws and government were very different. The Romans believed that law came from the emperor, but the Germans believed that the law came from the people. German rulers could not change a law without approval from the people. The Romans had a group of about three hundred men called senators, they proposed laws, discussed ways to deal with other countries, and approved public contracts for building roads and temples.The Germans based their laws on the customs of their ancestors, while the Romans wrote down their laws. The Germans memorized them and then passed them from generation to generation. Too much drinking in the German villages caused reckless fighting, which made problems in the villages. Germans wanted to prevent the fights from becoming blood feuds or fights between the families. If the original fighter sought revenge, the feud could go on for generations. To keep this from happening, the Germans held courts, judges listened to each side and tried to find a settlement that would bring peace to the village. They chose who was guilty or innocent in different ways. One was by oath-taking. People accused of crimes would declare their innocence by oath. Then they would be defended by oath-helpers or people who swore that the accused was telling the truth, it was thought that if they lied they would be punished by the gods. Another way to tell guilt or innocence was by ordeal, or a severe trial. The accused had to walk barefoot over hot coals or put their arms in boiling water, the burns of the innocent were supposed to heal within three days. There was also ordeal by water. The accused was tied hand and foot and thrown into a lake or river, the Germans viewed water as a sign of purity. If the person sank to the bottom they were innocent, if they floated they were guilty. A person who was guilty was not always punished physically, instead courts could impose fines called wergeld. The exact amount of payment varied. Unlike the Germans the Romans laws were standard around the Empire and they had one ruler. The German laws were not all fair, but they brought peace to the village.

The German and Roman armies were very different, with only one major similarity. The German army was divided into clans, or groups based on family ties. In the beginning the soldiers gave their loyalty to the clan, but later they gave it to a military leader called a chieftain. Unlike the Roman army, which was divided into legions. Each legion was comprised of approximately five-thousand legionaries or soldiers, which was then broken up into groups of sixty to one-hundred-twenty legionaries. The German chieftains gave their men leadership, a chance for wealth, and weapons, they also kept peace among their men. In battle the chieftains fought for victory and the soldiers fought for their chieftains. While the Romans had a plan for battle, the Germans had no battle plan. Instead each band of warriors fought on their own, the bands made surprise raids on their enemies. They would charge wildly on foot and on horseback, screaming and shouting loudly to frighten their enemies. The one similarity between the two armies is that they were both set on conquering new ground and expanding their territory. That is why the two armies were so much different.

Over time the Germans will become more of a Romanized group of people. They will begin to build cities and become more advanced in their architecture. They will move from a predominantly agrarian society to incorporating trading of goods into their economy. The Germans were a more primitive society early on, however they progressed to becoming a very civilized group with successful kings and armies able to rule and protect an educated and thriving economic society throughout the ages.

We were asked to write a 5 paragraph essay about the cultural differences between the Germans and the Romans.  We also made this essay to learn how to write a factual 5 paragraph essay.

Germans V. Romans

After the fall of the Roman Empire the Germans took over.  This brought about a great many changes.  Cities turned to Villages and government and trade were localized, the honor in a soldier went from legion to self, and government became more democratic and less dictatorial.  These are just a few of the many changes which transpired.

The first large change was localization.  After the fall of the Roman Empire there vast trade networks fell apart.  People had to live off of the land around them.  Another thing is that the Roman Empire had a vast warning system, but the Germans didn’t know whether there was an army over the next hill.  Rome’s network of roads also allowed their armies to travel quickly over rough terrain, while the Germans had to trudge through marshes and cut their way through forests.  Some villages were so hidden in the forest that no one knew they were there.

The second large change was personal honor.  It wouldn’t matter in Roman times if a man was fighting alone on a battlefield however, Germans would find it brave to do such an honorable thing.  If you were a good enough fighter the other warriors would make you their Chieftain, or military leader.  Something that was similar in the army was that there were symbols of honor.  The legions had standards and the Germans had a spear and a shield.  If they lost these they would be dishonored.

The third large change was the government.  The Romans were never very diplomatic; it was either the senate or the emperor who made all the decisions.  When the Germans took over this changed a lot.  Laws weren’t removed or added by a German ruler unless the people wished it.  Something that is similar is that the Germans based their laws on the customs of their ancestors, and the Romans kept the Twelve Tablets, or their set of laws, through much of their history.

There are many other changes which happened during this transition.  These are just some of the largest and most important changes.  The Germans were very different than the Romans, and if it weren’t for the fall of the Romans and the succession of the Germans our world would be completely different from what it is today.

Overview: 

For this post, we were assigned to compare the cultures of Germans and Romans. We were also learning how to write a 5 paragraph essay. We were not supposed to use our opinion, and just state facts. This essay will tell you the different ways of life the Germans and Romans lived.

Compare Germans to Romans Essay

If you were put in a time machine, and the two places you could choose to go were early Germany and early Rome, which would you choose? You are going to find out the difference between the German’s villages and the Roman’s cities, the Germanic warriors and the Roman soldiers, and finally, the difference in their government, and how people would be punished. You will see that there are huge differences between the two civilizations.

One of the main differences between Germans and Romans is their way of life; especially the fact the Germans had villages, whereas Romans had cities. The Germans depended on their farms and animals. Their houses were long thatched-roof huts with open spaces around them. The family lived in one end, and the animals lived in stalls on the other end. The animals lived so close to the people because the Germans depended on the animal’s body heat to keep their huts warm. Inside of the huts, it was relatively bare. Most people just had wooden tables and benches in their homes, but wealthier Germans also had wall hangings and carpets. The Romans, on the other hand, had big cities. At this time, the cost of living was very high. The rich Romans lived in a domus, which is a house with marble walls, colored stone floors, and windows made of small panes of glass. They also had furnaces to heat the rooms, instead of an animal’s body heat. In the domuses, they also had pipes to distribute water to even the upper floors of their house. The Romans, who were not as wealthy, which consisted of most of the 1 million people who lived in Rome, lived in apartments called islands. The islands were at least 6 stories high. The ground floor was where most shops were. The shops opened onto the street from large arched doorways. The higher up you lived in the apartment, the less you had to pay.

Another big difference between Romans and Germans were the soldiers. Once the Romans set up a republic, they had to protect it by gaining more territory. The reason they were able to gain the territory was because of their army. Unlike the Germans, they had their army organized into legions. Every legion had 5,000 soldiers, who were called legionaries. Those legionaries were then divided up into 60-120 soldiers. Having legions made fighting a lot easier, compared to having a phalanx. The legion was smaller, so they could move faster and more flexibly, unlike soldiers in a phalanx, who fought as a group and could only attack from one direction. The groups in a legion were able to split off the main body and attack from the sides or back. The soldiers were very well trained because they spent hours practicing, they went on long marches every day, and they were healthy and well fed. The Germans did things much differently than the Romans. The men started training when they were still young boys. They spent a lot of their time fighting, hunting, fishing, and making weapons. A ceremony would be held when a boy reached manhood, and he would receive a shield and spear which would be carried at all times. They were divided into clans, which was family based. All the respect and loyalty was given to their military leader called a cheiftain. The cheiftain was originally elected by a group of warriors, but later on it became hereditary. The cheiftain gave the warriors food and shelter.  He also kept the peace among warriors. The Germans really loved war because of their religion. The gods they believed in liked to fight and hunt.

The final difference between the Romans and Germans is their government and laws. In other words, how they kept the peace and how they dealt with crimes. The Germans thought that they should memorize their laws instead of writing them down, so the parents passed down all the laws to their children, and they would pass them down to their children. The German rulers believed that the only time laws could be changed was if the people approved. Because of over-drinking, Germans would recklessly fight a lot, so courts were set up where judges would listen to each side of the story and decide what would bring peace. The citizens would decide who was guilty and innocent. Oath-helpers would assist someone who was being accused of a crime. They would swear to tell the truth of what really happened, and tried to help the guilty German to be granted innocent. If the German didn’t have an oath-helper, his innocence would be decided during an ordeal. The ordeal was basically torture, where the German would have to walk on hot coals or soak their arm in boiling water. Then, the person would get their hands and feet tied together, and he would be thrown into a lake. If the person sunk, he was innocent, and if he floated, he was guilty. The courts could press charges called wergeld. The amount of money the German had to pay would depend on how bad the crime was. For example, if a German harmed a cheiftain, the wergeld would be higher than if he hurt a warrior. The German citizens would decide if the person guilty should pay the fine or not. This system the Germans used was not very fair to everyone. Wealth and importance depended on the penalty rather than the actual crime, however, the German laws kept peace. The Romans had much different ways of governing their people. First of all, they wrote down all of their laws on the Twelve Tables. The Roman judges wrote down new laws during the Pax Romana. The principles developed for the laws were fair to everyone. They were believed to be established because they were reasonable, not because the government had power to make the Romans obey them. Romans were innocent until proven guilty and Roman laws were standardized, or all equal in all parts of the empire.

So, do you now know where you would want to go, if you had the option in a time machine? Do you think the Germans and Romans are similar, or different? The Germans lived very simple lives in huts with their farms and families, while the Romans had the opposite. Their fighting styles and groupings were different, as well. The Romans had more job options, like running shops, when the Germans just depended on their farms or trading. Both Romans and Germans were very clever at governing their people, but they did it in very different ways.  Overall, Germans and Romans are completely different societies, but both were fairly successful.

In Social Studies class, we have been learning about the Germans and the Romans, and as an assignment we were told to compare the two civilizations in a five paragraph essay. It was to have an intro, body, and conclusion.

German Essay

A person can get killed in many ways. Beheaded, eaten, stabbed, poisoned, and much, much more. A typical person believes that the Barbarians (Germans) were the type of people who were ignorant, dirty, cold-blooded killers who attacked the innocent. In reality, they were agricultural and tribal warriors. Rome, another ancient civilization, had a different reputation. They were very urban and war-like, so you can imagine the differences between the two civilizations. The Germans were unorganized warriors, and the Romans were a well-organized army. The German government was run very differently than the Roman government. Everyday life in Rome was very busy, while the Germans lived calm, happy lives. This essay will take you deeper into the details of the differences between the Germans and the Romans.

When two armies that have the same fighting abilities fight one another, nothing really interesting takes place. The Germanic warriors and the Roman legions fought one another, and as a result Rome, for the most part, was overthrown. Since this event is anything but boring, it goes to show that the legions and warriors were completely different. Germanic warriors were divided into clans, while the Roman army was divided into legions. These two operating systems are nothing alike, except for the fact that they were fairly small. The German clans were based upon family ties, while Roman legionaries (those in a legion) could not know a single person. The leaders of these fighting systems were also different. Most Roman soldiers were promoted to general because of their social status or place in society. The Germanic clan leader, a chieftain, was elected because he was a loyal, respectful, and brave fighter who could be trusted. There is barely any similarity there, if any. Roman legions were well-trained and knew what to do in battle. The Germanic warriors had no set plan and constantly took many civilizations by surprise by repeatedly raiding and pillaging them. A successful attack for the Germans meant slaves, cattle, and other treasures. A successful attack for the Romans meant more land for their rapidly expanding empire. When two different armies with different abilities fight, the unthinkable happens and history is made, and that is certainly the case with the Germans and the Romans.

For a civilization to be successful, it needs government systems. The German government system was completely different than the Roman system. The Roman people believed that the law came from the emperor, while the Germanic people believed that it came from within the people. Germanic rulers couldn’t pass a law without the people’s consent and feedback, while the Roman emperors had the sole responsibility of decision making. The Germans based their laws on their ancestors’ customs. The Roman law was determined by the Senate during the republic. The Romans had written law, and it is most commonly known as the Twelve Tables. The Germans, instead of writing down their laws, memorized them and passed them down from generation to generation. During the Roman era, when one was accused of a crime, the punishment was almost always death. The Germans had other punishments for those proven guilty by their court system. The German court system set high fines called wergelds and it was the people’s responsibility to collect the money. The law system, in each civilization, also had an intense effect on the way many people lived their lives.

Most Romans lived in Rome. Rome was a very busy city at all hours of the day and night. Germans lived in small villages/kingdoms with open fields and pastures. This fact really sets the scene for how Romans and Germans lived each and every day. The average Roman lived in an apartment-like building called an island. Germans lived in long thatched-roof huts, shared with their animals from the farm. The Roman islands were very crowded and cramped, while the German huts had a lot of open space for their animals to roam, in and around their home and land. It was German law that a guest was always welcome, strangers and friends alike. There wasn’t much of a social classification system to the Germans because of this. Roman daily life on the other hand, was based upon social status. The only contact each class had with each other was the occasional run-in at the baths. The rich Romans spent days at the baths, indulging in gourmet meals prepared by their slaves. The rich Germans added carpets to their home, had a select few items of jewelry, and along with most Germans, hardly ever bathed. The way Germans and Romans lived differed greatly, and it is known. The Germans seemed very subtle and calm rulers in their respective time period, while the Romans were bitter and greedy rulers who only cared about money. The numerous differences are obvious.

The Germanic people and the Roman people were different in many ways. Most important to history though, are the three topics I have described earlier in detail. The German warriors and the Roman army had different fighting systems, techniques, and were divided differently. The German government and the Roman government had different law sources, had different methods of learning the laws, and had different punishments for crime. German and Roman everyday life was different because of housing situations, and social classes. Overall, just different. Different can be good, and bad. The reason the Germans outlived the Romans were not was because of these differences, and in the end that is what set them apart.

In Mr.Waters class we are learning about the Romans and Germans also we compared them together. Also we learned how to write a 5 paragraph essay.

The Romans and Germans were different. They both lived in two different places like the Romans lived in a city; the Germans lived in a village with their animals to keep warmth. They had different laws like the Romans had an emperor and two consuls, also a senate. The Germans did not write down there laws so when they had kids they told them what the law was. They told there kids to remember the law. They also had to go to court to help to not start a fight. The Romans and the Germans had games. One of the games for the Romans was called the gladiatorial games, but the Germans had sports. They both loved to eat and drink. The Germans liked beer; the Romans liked wine and fruits.

The Romans and the Germans are alike in many different ways. Romans had a city that they had rich people and poor but the rich lived in marble home and the walls were marble and the floor but the Germans lived in villages the Germans lived in huts with their animals for the warmth from the cold. The Romans were more civilized unlike the Germans were not civilized and when the Romans went to war they had a strategy but the Germans did not have a lot of strategies.

Romans had laws, it came from the emperor. The Romans had two consuls, also a senate. The laws were written on the Twelve Tablets. The Romans posted the laws so people could see them. The Germans did not have laws written down. They got told when they were kids to remember the law and then they passed it down. The Germans had a court to help not start a fight but that sometimes never happened.

Romans and Germans both had games. The Romans had gladiatorial games. They would fight to the death. It involved people and animals. It was really violent. The Germans played sports like boxing and wrestling. The Germans and the Romans both liked eating and drinking. The Gladiatorial games involved killing and gambling in the gladiatorial games. The German entertainment did not involve killing anyone.

The Romans and Germans were different. Romans lived in a city and Germans they lived in a village with their animals so they could keep warm. They both liked to eat and drink. The laws had to be passed down to the kids in the German society. Romans wrote there laws down. There are differences in the village life of the Germans versus the city life of Romans.

The Romans vs. The Germans

We were asked to type a five paragraph essay on the differences of the Romans and the Germans cultures.

The Germanic and Roman people had two very different lifestyles and these differences made them people that were at their core different. Different in how they looked at things and different in how they used their surroundings. One was a thinking society that built great systems to work for the people, while the other were workers who used their willpower and endurance to make a life for themselves without much outward help. When put all together the differences between the two it all adds up to make the Germans and the Romans very different. Almost like city dwellers versus country people. Neither one can be said to be better but they are certainly different. Although similar in many ways and in the end both their empires failed the differences between the two societies were great.

The Romans and Germans both were different a very different in many ways. One of the differences was their individual lifestyles. Romans lived in cities that were ahead of their time with running fresh water from the aqueducts they had built and furnaces constructed for heat. Roman homes were elaborate with marble and stone floors and large windows. The Germans on the other hand lived in simple villages with houses built with thatched roofs and dirt floors. Animals were kept inside the homes. Germans used body heat to keep warm. These homes were surrounded by farmland and pastures that was good for farming and keeping their cattle. The inside of the homes were basic had had little decorations and furniture. German life was about farming and growing crops. Germans used their family almost as slaves as the women and children did most of the farm work, housework and cooking. While they would trade the cattle for goods the farmers grew their own food. Women would make their own clothes and the men would build the things they needed. They were a self sufficient society. The Roman life on the other hand was about trading for their food and goods or in the case of the wealthy buying what they needed. The Romans used slaves from other lands to do hard labor, housework and just about anything else.

The Romans and Germans both enjoyed life and had many forms of entertainment. The Germans enjoyed feasting, drinking, dancing and gambling. Organized sports like boxing and wrestling were also popular. The German people thought of themselves as superior. The Romans enjoyed gambling and used the common bath houses they had built as a form of socializing. They used their engineering to build gymnasiums for exercise and stadiums where they watched free Gladiatorial games. They had actors and musicians who could become famous with their plays and musicals. They built large libraries and museums. They were a cultured society who were interested in arts as well as sports.

The Romans and Germans technique in the way they fought in battle was famous and is studied even today by soldiers. Both were known for the unique strategies in battle. Their techniques where both different but genius in the same way that made them both famous in history today. One of the biggest differences is the way they fought. The Roman armies all used the phalanx as a fighting formation. Romans wouldn’t treat a defeated nation as slaves, but would world "invite" them to ally and basically become part of Rome. The Germans treated captured people like slaves.

The Romans and Germans were both difference in their own kind of ways, But they both found a way to become famous in history up to this day because of their techniques in war, lifestyle, inventions, entertainment and so much more.

For this assignment we were asked to write a factual based essay on Germans compared to Romans. We were asked to explain the culture of the Romans as well as the Germans, then compare at least three reason why they are different.We also were asked to do a certain format. This format is the five paragraph essay. This means we have a introduction, three paragraphs supporting the topic, and a conclusion to conclude our work.Below this paragraph is my essay for this assignment.

Imagine Germans and Romans on the battlefield fighting against each other! Was it from their differences? Yes, it must be! Well, what type of differences led them to this imaginary fighting? Let’s find out! The Germans were people that relied on agriculture. They lived in huts that had thatched roofs and lived with their animals on one side of the house. The Germans made a living by herding cattle and farming. Germans strongly believed in being polite. It was against the law to even turn down someone when people were having celebrations. The Germans spoke a language that is similar to modern German, but it didn’t have a written language so they adopted the Roman written language. They wore simple clothing as well. Romans on the other hand, had a very urban city with a lot of trade that occurred. Romans either had very poor people or very wealthy people. A typical Roman person would live in an apartment building with running water above a shop of some sort. The lower class people in Rome made a living by farming or working in shops, while the rich people didn’t work much at all. These types of people are very different. The major differences between Romans and Germans however, were how they fought, their laws, and their daily life.

One major difference between Romans and Germans was their way of fighting. Germans spent most of their lives training for war even when they were young boys. To be an official German man they held sacred ceremonies where the soon-to-be- man would be given a spear and shield under a full moon in a grove. They had to keep the shields with them at all times or it would be considered a disgrace. Unlike the Romans that were divided into legions to fight, Germans were in clans. Clans are groups based on family relations. Also Romans didn’t have chieftans who were military leaders. Germans first elected these chieftans, but later on it was based on heredity. Clans typically gave loyalty towards them. The chieftans would supply the warriors with leadership, weapons, and an adventure. Additionally, while Germans didn’t have a specific way of fighting, the Romans did within their legions. Legions would fight all together and occasionally break off, while Germans were divided into small bands. The bands would make sneaky raids and charge while screaming to scare people away. Germans soldiers also used different weapons than the Romans such as daggers, short swords, and heavy axes. They also had wooden shields while Romans had large metal shields. The fighting styles of Romans and Germans were not much alike.

The laws for the Germans and the Romans were also very different. Germans did not write their laws down, but passed them down from generation to generation. The Romans did almost the complete opposite because they made sure that the laws were written on twelve tablets so they would be clearly followed. Unlike Romans (or so it’s said), Germans had fights that were usually from alcohol called blood feuds. These fights would go on from generations to generations to seek revenge for one another. Germans had judges to prevent situations like these from happening. The Germans would have to take an oath that they were not guilty. They would be defended by oath-helpers. If a German couldn’t find an oath-helper they would have to have an ordeal, which was a major trial. Some ordeals included walking on coals, and if you healed in a certain amount of days then that proved you were not guilty. Another ordeal was throwing you into a lake, and if you sank, then you were innocent. Sometimes, instead of physical punishment, a tax, called a wergeld, could be put on you. Wergeld costs depended on what crime you did. Just like Romans, German punishments also depended on how high you were in a class. Some German and Roman laws were similar, but overall, laws for German and Romans were quite different.

The Romans and Germans also differed in their daily life. Germans were a more agriculturally based civilization, while Romans were an urbanely based civilization. For example, Germans lived in houses centered on farmland. Their homes were huts with thatched roofs with open spaces surrounding them. Also, Germans shared their houses with animals on one side to produce more heat for the houses. Germans also made a living by farming. This is different from the Romans who lived in apartment many floors high in the cities. They also farmed, but as the civilization started changing, the Romans left the farming to slaves. Additionally, the gap between rich and poor didn’t seem as great between Germans compared to the Romans because Germans welcomed everybody to participate in any past time or event. That is because they had a lot of hospitality. Generally speaking, Romans were not similar to Germans when it came to their way of life.

Germans and Romans are not similar. They have different laws. For example, Germans enforce ordeals upon someone that has committed a crime while Romans didn’t do that. They also have different military techniques. Romans had legions to fight, while Germans had bands that fought. Lastly, the Germans’ way of life was based upon farming with huts for houses, while Romans were centered in an urban area that had large apartment and animals typically didn’t go inside. Now you know why the Germans and the Romans would have a fight about their differences because they are not the same at all.

In Social Studies we had an assignment to write a 5 paragraph essay contrasting Roman and German civilizations.

Romans VS Germans

Imagine being an all-powerful Roman soldier walking through the woods with weapons and shields, minding your own business, with everything quiet and still and then all of a sudden Germans jump out from behind bushes and trees and attack you and others. One would think that the Romans and Germans were very alike, both were powerful with good leadership, but they are very different in many ways.

One difference between these two powerful groups was housing. Roman homes were luxurious to a certain extent depending on how wealthy the owner was. Some Romans had large estates, while others lived in apartments, which weren’t that grand but had windows living space, a bed, but little furniture. The Germans mostly had houses which were small and divided into half. One half was for the Germans and the other half was animal stalls whose body heat would keep the Germans warm in the cold winters. Another difference was the soldiers. A Roman soldier (which was called a legionary) would wear leather shoes, a helmet, and a vest like cloak. A legionary would carry a long spear, dagger, and carry a strong shield. Their strategy was smaller and faster than the phalanx, each legionary would depend on his own abilities and legions could split from the body of the legionary. The German soldier (which was called a warrior) would wear a suit of leather, and carry daggers, short swords, axes, and wooden shields. They would surprise attack a victim, they would hide and jump them when they came. Another difference was their laws (government). For the Germans, laws came from The People and a few laws were based on customs of ancestors. For the Romans, laws were made by the Senate who advised the two consuls, who both had to agree on any law before it had passed.

Even though one would think that these two brilliant groups would be very alike, they were very different. Some of their differences were their housing, their soldiers and their battle strategy, and their laws. In the end the Roman Empire lasted from 27 b.c.e -410 a.d and The Germans had lasted from 300 a.d-550 a.d.

In Mr. Water's class, we had to write a 5 paragraph essay about comparing German and Roman culture.

Once a upon a time there were Romans and Germans, two very different civilizations, The Germans were farmers and herders. They lived in a clans, which are groups based on family ties.. The Germans favorite pastime was dancing, feasting and drinking. The Germans had their own culture, but it was based on Romans ways. The biggest differences were in lifestyle, laws and warriors. Rome was wealthy and farmers gave up their farms to the wealthy. This made big difference between the rich and poor.

The life of Germans and Romans were unlike in many ways. The Germans lived in huts. The huts had long thatched roofs. The Roman farmers lived in crowded , unhealthy apartments. The Germans lived in small villages while the Romans lived in cities. The Germans lived with their animals in their huts. The Germans liked dancing,feasting and drinking. The Romans had gladiatorial games and parades.

The laws of the Germans and Romans were not the same in many ways. The Romans laws were written down on Twelve Tablets. However, the Germans did not write down their laws. Instead, the laws were told to them by their family members and were memorize. The Roman Emperors could change the laws. The German rulers' could not change the laws, unless approved by the people. Under the Germanic laws not all people were treated equal. However, under Roman laws people were all treated equally under the law.

The German Warriors and the Roman Army were unlike in many ways. The German warriors loved battle which was linked to their religion, They had swords and wooden shields, they carried these items with them at all times. The Germans received their sword and shield at boyhood. The Roman army had standardize equipment and they were a professional army. The Romans had spears, daggers, shields and shoes. These items were given to them when they got a position in the army. The Roman army was well trained and had lots of discipline. The German warriors had no fixed plan of attack, they just fought wherever they wanted. The Roman army was paid for their services. The Germans were not paid, but some time they received wealth and adventure.

In conclusion, life for the Germanic tribes was different from that of the Romans. The simple village life of Germans contrasted a lot to life in the Roman cities . The Germans laws didn’t treat everyone fairly but the Romans laws did. The Romans had a professional army and Germans were expected to be fighters. Comparing two major civilizations is complicated because there too so much information and they have left us a lot of their ideas.

For this assignment Mr. Waters asked us to write an essay on comparing Roman culture to German culture in a five paragraph format.

Romans vs. Germans

The Romans and Germans were fierce war-like people, however they were both very different. The Germans were a society while the Romans were an empire. Another way they were different is that the Romans had a large unified army while the Germans had clans that men were split into clans. Also, the Roman and German laws were different.

The Romans lived in a large empire that controlled the Mediterranean Sea. In the cities of the Roman Empire there was a high class of living that would not be matched until today and a low class that was worse than 3rd world countries today. The rich people lived in a domus which had heating and running water. The poor lived in islands that had many diseases. Since the Romans controlled all of the Mediterranean Sea they were able to trade. For example, they grew wheat in Sicily that they shipped to Rome so that Rome did not have to grow all of the crops that they needed. The Germans were the exact opposite. The Germans lived in villages around Western Europe. They were an agriculture society. In the villages people made a living by herding cattle, which provided clothing and food. The women and children were farmers that grew crops such as barley, rye, wheat, beans and peas. They would trade their cattle with the Romans for glass vessels, table articles and jewelry. The Germans were a society and not a civilization because they were just a bunch of individual villages.

The Germans and Romans were both war-like but in different ways. The Roman army was strong and united. They fought together until the last man died. They had a planned attack that was very powerful. The Germans were very different. Each man fought for the glory. The German men were the warriors. They spent most of their time hunting, fighting, or making weapons. Their training started when they were young boys. When a boy reached manhood, he was brought before a special gathering held under a sacred grove during a full moon. There he received a special shield and spear to carry around at all times. If he did not carry it around at all times he would loss his shield, spear and honor. Germans were divided into clans. They gave their loyalty to the clan at first but then they began to give their loyalty to the chieftain. In order to become a chieftain the man must fight well. In the beginning the chieftain was elected by a band of warriors. Later, this office became hereditary. The German warriors did not have a fixed plan like the Romans. They made surprise attacks against enemies. They would charge wildly and yell loudly to startle their enemies. The Germans loved battle just like their ancestors. They had many gods that liked to fight and hunt. Their chief god was Wodan that was the god of war, poetry, learning and magic. The son of Wodan was Thor, the god of thunder.

The Romans believed that law came from the emperor. In the Roman Empire laws had to be equal to all people, Romans and non-Romans. This happened in the Pax Romana when there was increased trade. The Germans thought that the power came from the people. The Germans ruler could not change a law unless everyone agreed. Germans did not write down their laws unlike the Romans that did. They would memorize them and pass them down. Germans set up courts to prevent blood feuds. People accused of a crime declared their oath by taking an oath. People who declared oath were defended by an oath-helper. Germans believed that if you lied under oath that you would be punished by the gods. When people could not find oath-helpers the guilt or innocence was declared by an ordeal. An accused person would walk on red-hot coals and if it didn’t heal in three days the person was declared guilty. There was also ordeal by water. They would tie someone’s feet and arms up, throw them into a river or and lake and if the person floated they were guilty. If someone was guilty they were not always physically punished. Courts could impose a wergled. The legal system did not treat all people fairly. A person of wealth and importance was treated differently than a normal person with no importance. However the German law did keep peace.

In conclusion, the Roman Empire and the Germans were very different. They both had a very different way of life. The Romans lived in a large empire with lots of trading while the Germans were an agriculture society that did not trade as often as Rome. They also had different laws and different ways they approached war. The Romans fought together while the Germans celebrated individual accomplishments.

Overview of assignment: I was asked to write an essay comparing the Germans and the Romans. I think I did well with providing the supporting facts on the points I made with comparing them. I think I could of wrote more comparisons. Thanks!

The definition of bravery is courageous behavior or character, this is a word that Germans and the Romans lived by. The Romans and Germans were different in their laws, lifestyle and army.

The Germans and the Roman laws were very different in many ways. They were two civilizations that had many different qualities and strategies. They both were successful. The roman laws were written down on the twelve tablets. The Germans based their laws on the customs from their ancestors it was memorized and not written down unlike the Germans. The Germans judged their innocent and guilt in a different way then the Romans. The roman laws came from the emperor, and the German laws came from the people. The laws from the Germans could only be changed unless the people agreed. The Roman laws were fair everyone was considered equal. German rulers could not change the rules the people had to vote on it.

The lifestyles between the Romans and the Germans were very different. The Romans had to trade for food, Meanwhile the Germans would farm their food. The Romans lived in a house called a domus they were rich houses with marble walls. The rich houses were in the city they were always on the first floor. The Germans had women and children slaves. They lived in thatched roof huts. Their animals provided heat in their houses.

The Romans and Germans also have very different armies and warriors. The Romans were great conquers, They had a very strong army with organized strategies. For example, one of their strategies was the legionaries. They made the old Greeks phalanx better. Their general Gaius Marius a hero in their military offered the poor to join the army by offering them pensions,land, pay and booty. The Romans had a strong army they were very disciplined . They also had great equipment. On the other hand the Germans were warriors, The men started training for the wars as young boys. They formed clans based on the warriors family ties. Their was a important person in the clan called a chief-tan, In order to become a chief-tan you had to fight very well. In the beginning the chief-tan would have to be elected by a bunch of the other warriors. The chief-tans gave the men weapons, leadership and a chance for their wealth and adventure. The Germans love of the battle were linked to religion, their chief god Wodan was the god of war.

The Germans and the Romans were very different societies. The laws were different because the Romans were very fair; they changed their laws for the people they just conquered. The German laws came from the people. The lifestyle were very different because the Germans lived in a rural area where they farmed and the Romans lived in a city where they traded. Rome has a better army because they are well organized. The Germans did not have a plan of attack.

Overview: I had to write about the Germans and Romans in five paragraphs. I had to compare both of the cultures to find the differences between them. I think I did very well comparing them together by topic. But what I could work on was explaning the topics more.

Romans Vs. Germans Essay

Do you like blood baths, then you should read about the Romans and Germans. There are differences that the Romans and Germans have. Such as the daily life. The warriors, and the law. And you will read about all of them. Lets get started.

Daily life was very different for the Germans and the Romans. The Romans lived in a city and the Germans lived in a village. The Roman wealthy houses were big and made of marble. They had a furnace for heat and water. The poor Romans lived in apartments called Islands. They were tall and made of stone. The Germans lived in long thatched roof huts. The wealthy people had wall hangings and carpets. The hut was open and divided into two sections. One section was for the animals and the other was for the family. The house was kept warm from the body heat from the animals. The Romans got their food and goods by trading with other countries and civilizations. The Germans got their food by planting and harvesting crops. They traded locally.

Fighting was very different in both civilizations. In the Roman Empire their warriors trained every day. The German warriors spent their free time fighting, hunting, or making weapons. The Romans also had a planned fighting style like the phalanx. The Germans had no organized fighting style. The Romans also never retreated. The Germans admired all bravery.

The Romans believe that the law comes from the emperor. The Germans believe that the law comes from the people, which means that the rulers could not change the law until the people approved. The twelve tables of the Roman empire were laws hung up in the city for people to read. The Germans did not write down laws they would pass them down by words, and they had to memorize them. The Roman law tried to be fair by treating Romans and non Romans equally. The German law was not fair. It was not fair because you can get out of the biggest thing by having wealth and importance.

There were differences between the Romans and Germans. The differences were in daily life the fighting style, and law. Daily life was different because the Romans lived in cities and the Germans lived in villages where they farmed for their food. Fighting style is different because the Romans had a planed fighting style, the Germans did not. Law was fair in Rome it was not always fair for the Germans because you could get out of trouble in you had wealth and importance.

Overview of Assignment

What you were asked to do:

We were asked to write an essay explaining the differences between the culture of the Romans and the early Germans. The essay was 5 paragraphs long. The first paragraph was our introduction, the next 3 were main ideas, and the final, a closing paragraph.

Germanic and Roman Comparison 5 Paragraph Essay

The Romans and the Germans once lived at the same time long ago, but were very different in many ways. The Germans were more people that were split up into groups called tribes, then split further into clans. They had paganistic gods of war and nature, and had very different and unorganized ways of attacking. They also did not have big cities, civilizations, and widespread laws. Their laws were for smaller groups of people. Both of them had separate ways,  that were unlike the other, of living.

When it came to battles and fighting, warriors were fighting mostly for personal honor, bravery, and status. They expected their warriors to win or die fighting. They worshipped gods of war and even thought that after they died, they would feast and fight forever. On the other hand, the Romans were fighting to expand, and or keep their land. Also, while Romans had disciplined fighting techniques, and follow strict orders, the Germans were ruthless people who attacked wildly, with no guidelines or ways to fight. They would fight in bands, small groups that fought alone and usually made surprise raids on passing enemies.

The daily life of a Roman was very different compared to a Germans. The Romans only really had to do one job to live a good live. They could easily trade and sell their goods or services at markets for supplies like food and shelter. The Germans, though, could not. They had to grow their own food in fields, build their own thatched huts, make their own tools, etc. They were a very agricultural society. They even slept with animals on the other side of their house. This was the same with sewers and water. The Romans could get water from public fountains and had sewer pipes around the city, but the Germans had to get their own water from lakes and streams and dispose of their waste personally.

The law of the Germans was very much less widespread. It was more of a localized thing that impacted the community, instead of Roman law, which affected everyone there all over. For example, the Germans would want to stop things called blood feuds, where a fight occurred, and then quarrels would ensue, in which the families of the original fighters seek revenge. Those were things within the community, not something that a whole city would put to a trial. Also, in Roman law, trials in court were fair, while the the Germanic ones weren’t. The size of the punishment depended on how important or wealthy you were, not the seriousness of the crime. You could have been fined a small amount for killing an older woman who could not bear a child, but a larger sum for killing a young girl. Plus, the court could not make people pay these fines, only the public opinion could.

As you can see, the Romans and the Germans had many differences, though they lived in the same area and at the same time period. The law, the daily life, and the way they fought were all unlike the Romans way of doing so. In the end, the Germans just lived a different culture and lifestyle from the Romans.

This is a five paragraph essay about the differences and similarities between Germans and Romans. I was assigned to write this for Social Studies class.

If you thought that the Romans were interesting, than just wait until you hear about the Germans. The Germans were much more simple than the Romans, they lived in villages with farmlands and pastures surrounding them. They first showed up in Europe after the Roman empire collapsed. The Romans tried to stay separated from the Germans as much as possible. They were also like the Romans in the way that they like to fight. The German’s beliefs in law totally contradicted the Roman’s beliefs in law is another difference.

Germans were very centered on farming. Their houses were very long with thatched roofs. One end of the home was used as a living space for the family, and the other end was devoted to stalls for the animals. The animal’s body heat would help heat the house in the cold winter months.They made a living herding cattle. This would provide food and clothing. If they wanted to, they also had the option of trading the cattle itself for glass vessels, table articles, and jewelry. The Romans in the city of Rome were nothing like the Germans. Poor Romans would live in six story apartment buildings called islands. Rich Romans would live in large private homes called domuses.

German men spent most of their time fighting, hunting, or making weapons. They would start training for battle as young boys. In the military warriors were divided into clans, which are groups based on family ties. Every warrior in the clan was loyal to their chieftain, or military leader. In battle there was no plan or fixed way of fighting. The soldiers usually charged their enemy wildly, while yelling and screaming. Their gods were mostly centered around battle and the warriors were expected to fight to the death. Romans also loved fighting. Romans were expected to join the military and people payed high taxes to keep the military running. The military was a crucial part of Rome’s success.

The Germans believed that law came from the people. Laws were based on customs of their ancestors. To keep reckless fighting from happening they set up courts. In court the criminal would take an oath and they were allowed to have oath-helpers. Oath-helpers were like our modern day lawyers, they would help defend the criminals. If a criminal was proven guilty some of the punishments were walking barefoot over hot coals or sticking your arm in boiling water. Sometimes criminals weren't even punished physically, they were just fined a certain amount of money. Everyone was treated fairly in German law. In Roman law they never based anything off the customs of their ancestors. The current emperor of Rome would decide all the laws and pass them through the complex government system. There was also no equivalent of oath-helpers in Roman law.

In conclusion, the Germans were both similar and different than the Romans. Germans believed law came from the people, Romans did not. Germans lived simple farming lives, that included herding cattle, living with animals, and living in one room houses. Romans lived extravagant lives (if they could afford it) full of gambling, banquets, and political discussions at bath houses. Germans loved fighting, Romans loved fighting just as much, if not more. The similarities and differences between Romans and Germans were very interesting.

We had to write a 5 paragraph essay comparing the culture of Romans and Germans.

German v.s. Roman 5 Paragraph Essay

Germans lived inside and in Rome’s boundaries but considered themselves Germans not even a little bit Roman. German minded their own business. These are the things that I am going to compare Germans lived in villages were Romans lived in large cities. Germans were more of a tribal like society compared to the Romans were they were a empire. German law was also very different compared to Roman law. German soldiers compared to Roman soldiers were also very different in many ways.

Germans were more of a tribal like society compared to the Roman Empire, Germans were divided up into small little clans or a groups of family members were Rome was one big society. Germans lived in small little huts were half of the hut was divided up and used to stall their animals that they had were the other half was the family's living quarters. Romans usually lived in small apartments in the city called islands the higher up you lived or the higher the floor you lived on the less rent you had to pay.

German law was also very different from Roman Law, in German law if you commited a crime you some type of cruel punishment and then be free to go but sometimes you could also have to pay a fine. If you were high up in society or were wealthy you could pay a lot of money on top of your fine and not have to receive any punishment. Roman law was very different, in Roman law you were punished either way and could have stuff taken away from them such as your house and land could be sold and money was also taken away from you and sometimes if it was a really bad crime you committed you had to become a slave.

German soldiers fought more of a man to man battle or maybe would fight in a group of 2 or 3. They would just fight is one big group but went totally wild and did whatever they wanted to destroy the enemy. If a Roman soldier did that or fought in that style they would be punished severely. Roman soldiers fought in one big group named the Phalanx and would never fight in small little groups or one on one. If you fought that way were running around people would think you were scared or were running away.

Germans and Roman were very different from the way they lived to the way they fought their wars. They were also as different when it came to punishing their own criminals.

Those are some of the differences between the Germanic Tribes and the Roman Empire.

I was asked to write a five paragraph essay. It was about comparing the two different cultures of the Roman and the Germans.

Social Studies Essay

Romans vs. Germans

Two different empires, two different types of lives. These people are the Romans and the Germans. They are different in many ways. The three paragraphs are going to be about law, lifestyle and their army. They have different laws, lifestyles and army. Here are some reasons why they are different in laws, lifestyles and warriors.

The Roman army and the German army were very different. The Roman army had tons of protection and Germans barely had any. The Roman army had standardized equipment. The Roman Army had swords, shoes, daggers, helmets, shields, and full body armor. The Germans only had a shield and a sword. Each German had different equipment none of them look the same, unlike the Romans all the equipment looks the same. Germans fought in small groups called clans. The Romans fought in legions of 5,000 warriors. These are some differences between the Roman and German army.

Roman and German had two different ideas for their laws. . The Roman laws were written on the 12 tablets. The Germans passed down the laws from adult to child. The Germans based their laws on their customs. The Romans didn’t. The Germans came up with their laws and the Roman Empire came up with all of their laws. The Roman Empire could change the laws at any time, but the German villages all had to agree with the new laws. These are some of the differences in laws between the Romans and the Germans.

The Roman lifestyle is different then the German lifestyle. For the Roman housing it depends if you’re rich or poor. If you were rich you lived in a house called a Domus. It had marble wall, windows, stonewalls and a furnace. The poor lived in dirty, small islands. Islands are like an apartment. They also lived in cities. The Germans lived in the countryside. They lived in thatched huts in two parts. One part for the humans and the other part for the animals. The animals heated the huts like the furnace heats the domus. These are some different lifestyles between the Romans and the Germans.

In conclusion the Germans and the Romans had very different civilizations. They had different battle styles, housing, army equipment and laws.

The German culture was centered on families and a simple lifestyle.

The Roman culture was centered on its empire and wealth. These are all the differences between the Roman and the German civilizations.

Overview of essay.

We did a 5 paragraph eassy to compare Roman and German culture.The goal was to have a 5 paragraph eassyon roman and gerrman cluture.

The Germans and Romans are different in so many different ways. The Romans and Germans are two very different groups of people. They lived in different worlds. I will compare them in 3 he rights of plebeians. All   Romans belonged to the assemblies, which would declare war or agree to peace terms. These are some comparisons of Law and government.

ways. But first the Germans are way different than the Romans because they live in villages around farmlands and pastures. They live with their animals. These are your Germans. My first comparison will be that German warriors and Roman soldiers are different. My second             compassion will be the Romans and Germans daily lives. My third will be the differences in Roman government and German law. These are my comparisons.

Germans and Romans are very different. One way is German warriors and Roman             soldiers. The way each one fought is different. Germans were put into clans or groups based on their family ties. If the run the run, they wouldn’t get killed.  They would give loyalty to their military leader called a chieftain. Chieftains gave his man leadership and weapons. They kept the peace between their warriors. Their love for battle was linked to their religion. They would fight in       their clans. The Romans would be killed if the run and they would fight in one big group. Those are the comparisons for war.

My second comparison is their daily lives. Well, Romans bathed everyday while      Germans rarely bathed. The Germans lived in homes with their animals on the other side of the house and Romans lived in apartments called islands. The Germans spoke German and the Romans spoke Latin. They did all their daily chores differently.  They had different jobs then each other. Those are my comparisons for their daily life.

My third comparisons are the law and government. Romans thought law came from the emperor and Germans thought it came from people. Germans based laws on their ancestors they didn’t write the laws down they memorized them, and  passed them from parent to child. The German legal system didn’t treat everyone fair, though they did keep peace. The Roman government had different people far different jobs. They had two head consuls chosen every year, and then a senate which was made up of 300 men chosen for life, and judges, assemblies and             tribunes or the government officials who protected  

Overview of Assignment

What were you asked to do?

We were asked to write a five paragraph essay on comparing the culture of Romans and Germans.

Germans vs. Romans essay

Between the warlike Romans and the Blood-thirsty Germans there was a lot of different and similarities. You would think the German Kingdoms and the Roman Empire would be very similar, but they are very different in many ways. The Germans were people that fought wars to gain status, not to gain land, like Romans did. Their religion was mostly based on nature. They were warriors and put into clans based on family ties. They had chieftains that were the heads of the clans. There are three main comparisons. They are village life to city life, which is like how the Germans lived in the villages and what their their jobs were. Then how the Romans lived in the cities, and what their jobs were. The other comparisons are law and warriors.

Village life in Germany was much different from living a roman life in the cities. In Germany the villages were surrounded by miles of farmland and pastures.Their houses were long. thatched, roof huts. The houses were not like ours though. They only had wooden tables and benches for furniture. Then the family only stayed in half of the house. The other half was filled with animal stalls. This was not just because they didn’t have enough room. It was because the animals heated the houses. As jobs the German Villagers herded cattle, gathered food, and made clothing. Farming was a big thing, woman, children, and enslaved people farmed. As you can tell already this is going to be very different than the Romans life style. In Rome the rich lived in houses called a domus. They were very nice. In it it had heat, stone floors, and running water. They even had running water that reached the top floors. On the other had the poor lived in apartment buildings called islands. They were usually six or more stories high. The higher the floor, the lower the rent was. The ground floor was dedicated to shops. The apartment building didn’t seem too nice because they had no heat, no water, and sometimes no windows. The houses in both these civilizations were very different. The Germanic houses were one floor, basic, and simple houses while Romans houses were two or three floors with high quality furniture. They also had pipes for their water system. The Romans could not farm because they lived in the cities. While in Germany farming was one of the main jobs and way to make money. They are similar because they both had heat. Not the island, but the domus and the German houses. They got it different ways though. These are the similarities and differences I have with Germans and Romans.

The different ways of using law in other civilizations is quite interesting. I will explain and compare the contrast law between the Romans and the Germans. The Germans did not write down their laws in a book like we do. They memorized their laws and passed them down from parent to child. Most of the time if they had reckless fighting it would turn into blood feuds. They had judges that would try to settle this. In Germany they had weird ways of deciding if you were guilty or not. Here were some if them. You could take an oath. You were the defended by an Oath Taker and if you lied you were punished by the gods. Then they had an ordeal, which was severe trial. The people would have to either walk barefoot over red hot coals or put their arm into boiling water. If the scars went away in three days that meant they were innocent. Then they would throw you in water with your hands tied, and if you floated you were guilty and if you sank to the bottom you were innocent. If you were guilty though you were not always punished physically. You could get things called Wergelds, which were fines. The German Laws kept peace throughout the civilization. The Roman laws were organized much differently. They had something called the Twelve Tables. When Rome conquered other people the Roman merchants had to do business with non-romans. So the judges had to make new laws for the non-romans. Then they got help from people called juris prudentes. These were special lawyers and legal writers. Together they would make the laws. The differences between these two ways of law were that in Germany you were not always 100% certain if the people were guilty or not. They had harsh ways that their gods probably told them. In Rome it was organized a lot better. You would just go to a court and have time to explain what you had done. Then the judge wold decide if you were guilty or not. The similarities were that in Germany and Rome there were two similar people that had the same jobs but had different names. In Germany they were called oath takers and in Rome they were called judges or juris prudentes. These were my similarities and differences about law on Germans and Romans.

Warriors in Germany and legionaries from Rome had a lot of different purposes in their civilizations. German fighters became warriors at young ages. Mostly when they were young boys. They would fight, hunt, and make weapons. When the males reaches manhood they would go on sacred gatherings. There they would receive a shield and spear. They had to guard them with their lives and if they were lost that would mean they lost their honor. Once that was done they were divided up into groups called clans. They were based on their family ties. In each clan there was a leader. They were called chieftains. These men were very important and gave much leadership to their men. He also gave them weapons and a chance to advance in wealthiness. The most important thing though was that he made peace. The Chieftains fought for victory and the warriors fought for the chieftain. The Roman army had a very good tactic. Their army was organized into something called legions. Each legion had about 5,000 men and the soldiers were called legionaries. The legionaries were then divided up into even smaller groups of 60-120 soldiers. This was a good technique to use because it was small and could move quickly. It could also split off from the main point and attack from the sides. It depended on every mans fighting ability. It worked very well for the Romans. As you could see here they had no similarities. The Germans had a well know leader for their defensive strategies where as the Romans just went in as a big group. Even though they were both divided up into groups meaning the Germans as the clans and the Romans as the legions, it still worked differently. There is one similarity though. It is that both strategies worked for both civilizations.

Overall Rome and Germany were great civilizations because of how organized everything was. They had different leaders and emperors so they had different lifestyles but they were both very successful. There was one similarity and two differences for village life to city life. For the law of both civilizations they figured out ways to keep the civilization peaceful. Then there was the warriors from Germany and the legionaries from Rome!--

Overview

This is my five paragraph essay comparing the Romans and Germans. I have compared them in three ways. The three ways I described them as different are law, military, and everyday life.

“I came, I saw, I conquered. Julius Caesar’s famous quote didn’t live for long. The Germans came around just in time for the collapse of Rome and they used that to their advantage. In about 550 A.D. the Germans replaced the Romans. The Romans had an empire though and the Germans had many kingdoms. However, we can still look back at both civilizations and compare them. Because there is so much historical information about the Germans and the Romans this essay clearly states that there were three major differences. The three differences were law, military, and culture or everyday life.

The first difference of the Roman Empire and the Germans was law. The Romans wrote down all of their laws which was known as the Twelve Tablets while the Germans memorized their laws and passed them down from parent to child. Also, in the Roman Empire the law was made by the emperor compared to the Germans, who believed that the law came from the people and the ruler could not make a law without it being approved by the people. If a german was accused of a crime they could defend themselves by oath-taking. After that they were defended by oath-helpers. This means that the accused person would declare their innocence by taking an oath. The German punishments for committing a crime were being physically beaten or fined based on the serious of the crime. However, both the Romans and the Germans used a judge to decide if a person was innocent or guilty. Law is one of the major differences in the Romans and Germans.

Another difference between the Romans and the Germans is the military. The Romans had a very organized military involving legions which had 5,000 soldiers called legionaries which included smaller groups of 60 to 120 legionaries. The Germans divided themselves up into clans. Clans were groups based on family ties. At the beginning the warriors were very loyal to their clan. However, as time went on their loyalty shifted over to the chieftain. Chieftains were military leaders that were successful warriors. Chieftains supplied their men with weapons and equipment. Another group of warriors the Germans had was a band. A band could be a temporary group of close friends, highly skilled warriors, or bunch of different guys raiding one or two places for their own wealth. The German military was not nearly as disciplined and as permanent as the Roman military. The Germans could always shift around the groups of military for money reasons, disputes, or friends wanting to fight together. However, one similarity is that both the Romans and the Germans were very warlike because their gods. Both had very violent gods such as the German god of war, Wodan and the Roman god of war, Mars. Other than this similarity the Romans and Germans had very different ideas of how their military should be structured.

The final difference between the Romans and Germans was their culture. The Germans were an agricultural civilization and the Romans were an urban civilization. All of the German homes had farmland and pastures surrounding them with the owners of the home worked the farm. Most of the Roman homes were in the city and the people living in them had jobs in shops in the city. Also, the family lived in one half of the house and the family’s animals lived in the other half. This was because the animals gave off body heat which helped to heat the house. The Romans made their animals live outside because they felt like they were in a higher class than the animals. Another thing that that differed between the Romans and Germans in their culture was the dress. The German women wore simple skirts that were made of yarn or one piece “sack-like dresses”. The men wore trousers and a coat with a cloak fastened to their right shoulder. The Romans tried to dress as elegantly as possible with robes, fancy dresses, and jewelery. That is third major differences between the Romans and the Germans.

These are the three major differences between the Germans and Romans. The categories of these differences are law, military, and culture or everyday life. In law, the Germans and Romans had different ways of dealing with criminals, how law was created, and how they declared their laws. The Romans had a much fairer way of punishing criminals, created law from the emperor instead of the people, and wrote down their laws on the Twelve tablets while the Germans passed them down verbally throughout the family. The militaries were different because the Romans had a very organized, strict, tightly run army while the Germans had many groups called clans which were created based on family. They also had bands which were just groups of friends or random people raiding and pillaging for their own wealth. The one thing that did link the two militaries together was that they both had war-like gods. The Romans had an urban society and the Germans had an agricultural society. The Germans had farmland surrounding all of the homes and kept the animals they owned in the house with them because the animal’s body heat helped warm the house. The Romans lived in the city and instead of farming and having a close relationship with their animals they had few animals because they usually worked in a shop all day. These three reasons support the idea that the Romans were completely different from the Germans in many ways.

In Social Studies Class we wrote a 5 paragraph essay. This was to help us learn the information on how to write a good essay and compare the right information about the Romans and Germans.

German Essay

The Germans were very knowledgeable and agricultural tribe. About 400 years after Christ was born the Germans decided to leave the marshes and forests to search for warmer climates and better grazing land for their cattle. They slowly ended up at the Roman Empire from which they were attracted by the wealth and culture Rome had. For a while the Romans believed the Germans were enemies and would not let them in. Later on Rome began to fall and could no longer keep them out. Rome then let groups of Germans move into the Danube River Valley, where the Germans way of living combined with Romans ways of living. Both the Germans and Romans had very many differences three major ones being their way of living and their house, another being their laws, and the last one which was their fighters and warriors. The Romans however were very warlike people. They had a legend about how they found Rome it was how two brothers Romulus and Remus who were cared for by a she wolf and were known to be an offspring of the god Mars. The two brothers grew to be older and decided to build a city but they couldn't agree on who should be the ruler of the city.Each of them then climbed to the top of a different hill and waited for a sign from the gods. Then 12 vultures flew over Romulus hill and he claimed that was a sign from the gods and killed Remus. These are two very different types of people that had to try to get along.

The first difference the Romans and Germans had was they both had a very different way of living. The Germans lived in small huts and shared it with animals. The animal's body heat would keep the huts warm in the winter. Long benches and tables were the only pieces of furniture inside the huts. The Germans spent their time and living herding cattle or selling them for riches. In the women's spare time they would often spin or weave wool. Even though the Germans lived in Rome they still kept a lot of their own culture. Wealthy Romans however, lived in domuses which were homes that included gardens, small pools, marble walls, colored stone floors, and windows made of small panes of glass. Poorer Romans lived in islands, which were six stories high and covered a whole blocks. They did not have a lot of furniture. The Romans spent most of their time working if they were poor and rich Romans spent their time on soft couches outside or in the bath houses bathing and socializing with fellow rich Romans.

The second big difference the Romans and Germans had was the Law. The Romans law was very complex and believed that it came before the Emperor. The Romans laws were written on the 12 tablets. The Germans, on the other hand, believed that the laws had to get passed by the people before turning into a law. They couldn't change the laws unless the people voted on it or approved the law. The Germans passed down their laws from adults to children by memorizing them.

The German men were warriors who spend their time fighting, hunting, and making weapons. German boys started their training at a young age and when they reached manhood they had a special gathering, making them a warrior. The Germans were broken up into two different groups called clans. The clans were different groups which were based off their family ties. At first the Germans gave their most loyal boys and men to fight in their clan. After a while the men grew a strong loyalty to the chieftain, also known as a military leader. A man had to fight well to become a chieftain. The Romans fought as a very successful army with multiple fighting techniques. They were very strong and healthy. They were also well disciplined. The Roman army had good armor which helped them move faster and win a lot of battles.They had sandals which helped them move faster and long shields to protect them.

In conclusion the Germans and Romans had very many differences including the way they fought battles and if they had an army or warriors, what they spent most of their time doing ,or even how their law was run. Anyways they had to find a way to get along and face their differences they had. Even though both the Germans and Romans had completely different lifestyles and cultures they both decided a way that they liked and could get along.

Overview:

For Social studies we were asked to use our knowledge,notes and textbook to write a factual essay comparing the culture and lifestyle of the Germans and the Romans.

Essay:

The Germans, tribes and clans and little civilization. Then there’s the Romans, big civilized cities, Emperors, plumbing and such. There are a lot of differences between them, but first you have to answer one very important question- who were the Germans? Well, the Germans were a group of tribal people who invaded Rome and took over in 475 B.C. They took part in Roman life, but kept much of their own culture, which is very different from Rome’s. The Romans and the Germans were very different, but three of the major ways they were different were the differences between their governments, their living conditions,and their militaries. Throughout this essay you will learn about these three topics.

First off, you will learn about the differences between the two governments. The Roman Empire had Emperors, who had all the power and could do pretty much whatever they wanted. The Germans on the other hand thought law came from the people. The people decided what laws were passed, and the rulers couldn’t change any laws unless the people agreed. The Germans based their laws on customs. They also memorized them and passed them down from generation to generation. The Romans wrote down their laws, and the laws were mostly based off of the twelve tablets, which were mostly about wills, property rights court actions and other similar things. As you can see, for the most part the Roman and German governments were very different.

The second difference is the difference between living conditions. The Roman poor lived in multistory houses called islands, and their living conditions were very poor. The Roman rich were the opposite. They lived in large, lavish houses called domuses,and had servants, plumbing and lavish meals. The Germans didn't live like either. The Germans lived in long, single-story huts that they shared with their animals. One end was where the family lived, and the other end was divided into stalls for the animals. The animals helped to heat the house. The rich Romans had furnaces to heat their houses. The Germans and the Romans had very different living conditions.

The last thing you will learn about is the differences between the Roman and German warriors. Germans began their training to be warriors as young boys. When they became adults, they were brought to a special gathering on a night of a full moon. This gathering was held in a sacred grove, and at this gathering the man received a shield and spear. The man had to keep these with him at all times and if he lost them he lost his honor. The German warriors were broken into clans based on family ties. The Roman warriors were different. The Roman warriors were broken up into legions, that had about 5,000 warriors each but had nothing to do with family ties. The Romans also didn’t start training as young boys. One thing though that both have in common is that both groups of warriors were very loyal to their military leader. As far as warriors go, the Germans and Romans were different, but had a few similarities.

The Romans and the Germans are overall very different. Their living conditions, government, and warriors were all different. The Romans lived in either very poor or very lavish homes, and the Germans were kind of in between. The Romans were ruled by an Emperor who had sole power, and the Germans were basically ruled by the people. The Germans were broken into military groups by family ties, and the Romans were broken into legions that had nothing to do with family. There were a couple of similarities though, like whom they are loyal to in the military. In conclusion, the Romans and the Germans were very different.

In Social Studies we were asked to research and compare Romans and Germans. Then we had to put the information into a five paragraph essay.

Roman and Germanic Comparisons

Did you know that the Roman Empire covered at least 1/3 of Europe at its peak or that a Germanic tribe settled France? The Germans were several warlike tribes spread across Europe, and they were mainly farmers. First, you will read about the Romans’ trade empire to the Germans’ agricultural tribes. Then, you’ll read about the Germans’ rural tribes differ to the Romans’ urban empire. Finally you can learn about how there were many German tribes, but only one Roman Empire.

Our first comparison is comparing Rome’s trade to the Germans’ agriculture. First, the Romans are a trade empire because they had such a large empire they could get many things from different places and they won’t even leave the borders.The Germans are agricultural based because they are in clans which are much smaller than an empire so they must make their own food locally instead of trading to get food. Finally, Rome used to be an agricultural based, but then they got so big that they had no need to make food in Rome and instead they had a more agriculturally productive part of their empire make food for the empire and trade would allow food to be spread across the empire. These are the major differences between Rome’s trade and the German’s agriculture there are some other things, but they are not as big.

Now you can read about Rome’s vast and urban empire compared to the Germans’ separated rural tribes. First, the Roman Empire took up about a third of Europe and even went into parts of Asia and Africa. Second, the Romans were based in cities while Germans were in tribes. The roman cities were crowded and there were many people living in unhealthy conditions, while the Germans lived in semi-isolated villages in a little healthier conditions and it wasn’t as crowded. Finally, Rome was one empire while the Germans had several different tribes and clans. That is the biggest comparisons between the roman’s large urban empire and the small separated rural German tribes.

The last comparison is that there is one Roman Empire and many German tribes. The Roman Empire was a united empire that was still standing even when an emperor was killed. The Germans were many tribes that wouldn’t call themselves Germans. Finally, while the Germans lived in clans the Roman Empire was one massive empire. Those are the differences between the Germans and the Roman Empire when it comes to how many there are.

In conclusion we discussed many differences between the Germans and the Roman Empire. We learned that while the Romans had trade the Germans had to make their own food. Also we learned the differences between the Roman Empire’s urban based empire compared to the Germans rural tribes. Finally, we learned how the Romans and Germans compare when it comes to how many tribes or empires there were. These are some of the major or important reasons why the Romans were different from the Germans.

In Social Studies class, we wrote an essay about Germans and Romans and compared how they lived. We had two major goals. First, we wanted to compare how Germans and Romans were similar and different. Next, we wanted to practice our 5 paragraph essay writing skills. Here is an my essay!

German Essay

The Germans. They come into Rome and take over because it is weak. Naturally, you’d think they were just like the Romans, only slightly different. That’s where you are very wrong. The Germans were actually very different from the Romans, though they did have some similarities. If you aren’t Mr. Waters, you might be wondering who these Germans were. The Germans were a mixed group of people. The women, children, and the slaves were farmers, while the men were warriors. Though the Germans loved battle, (for the most part) they were also very hospitable. In fact, it was even against the law to abandon somebody when they came to the door.

To truly understand how the Germans and Romans were alike and different, we have to look at three major factors. First, the army. Second, the village life. Lastly, the law. So please, if you are not an educated person in the Germanic people or the Romans and their way of life, listen up. (please!)

The army of the Roman Empire and the Germans’ warfare were very different. Germans did not have generals as the Romans did. They had what was called a chieftain. The chieftain was the leader of its clan. The clans were similar to the Roman legions, though far smaller. The clans were groups of people that shared their family ties. To become a chieftain of your clan, you had to be an excellent fighter as well as loyal. Unlike the Germans, Romans had a fixed plan when fighting. The Germans (warrior bands) fought chaotically , running wildly and yelling so they could frighten off their enemies. The Roman army was well organized and disciplined, much to the contrary of the Romans. Germans had their chief god, Wodan, to influence them. Wodan was the god of war, poetry, learning, and magic. Romans’ two chief gods that influenced them. One was Mars, the god of war and violence and the other was Jupiter, the king and ruler of the gods and ruler of the sky. They both had gods to influence their military actions.

The Romans were more civilized than the Germans. The Germans weren’t as refined as the Romans were either. They also had a smaller gap between rich and poor. Romans lived either luxuriously or poorly. There were the very rich and the very poor, where the Germans did not have such a gap. They did have the slightly less fortunate and the more fortunate, but they still lived together and were far different from the Romans with their village life, though some things were similar. The male was always dominant (as usual) of the family and the women and children tended to the agricultural work. Agricultural here means that they did lots of farming. Their villages were surrounded by fields and pastures and farmlands. The Romans had their servants/farmers grow crops. or, they would use trade.

The Germans were a more democratic society and had to have their people vote on their laws before getting them passed or changed. Instead of writing laws, they memorized them and taught them to their children. They also based laws off of their ancestors’ customs. The Romans however, had their Senate and Emperor work with new laws, and the commoners had no say. The Germans had their own people decide and vote their laws. They wanted everybody to get a say so there would be less chaos with people who didn’t want those laws to be passed. Romans were very different in this way from the Germans.

In conclusion, the army, village life, and law were only some of the major differences between Germans and Romans. This was a big event in European history. Rome was such a big empire, though it crumbled and Germans (or barbarians) took over. They are so very different from the Romans.

For this essay done in social studies, we used the five paragraph essay format. We took the information from our text book and compared the Germanic tribes and the Romans. Here is my essay:

German Essay

Around three hundred C.E. Rome allows groups of Germans to cross their borders into the Danube River valley; that is where Rome went wrong.  The German were groups or tribes of people who lived in villages surrounded by farmlands and pastures.  Germans took part in Roman life but, they also kept some of their own culture. The people who worked in the fields for the Romans were very different from those of the Germans.  While Rome had an entire and powerful army, Germans had clans with extremely different fighting styles. The Germans decided what the law would be very differently than the Romans.  This essay is going to describe three differences between Germans and Romans.

Both the Germans and the Romans had farmers as part of their population.  The Roman farmers were mostly men, boys, and enslaved people.  The farmers in the German villages were women, children, and slaves.  For Germans, the men were almost always hunting, fighting, or training for battle.  Boys joined the clans at a young age so they were not able to help with the farm work.  Romans on the other hand had only men in the army but, they were also training constantly.  Farmers could not join the army at points in Roman history because they needed to produce food for the people in the cities.  

Not all men in the Roman empire fought in the army but, all in the Germanic tribes fought.  Rome had a very large army.  When Rome had grown too large for the army to protect its borders, it was sort of useless.  The Germanic tribes had their own clans and rarely fought as a group.  When they did the two chieftains would have to agree on a plan and a fighting style.  The Germanic tribes were very violent.  The German tribes did however have something in common with the Roman Empire.  The Germans fought for the chieftains and the chieftains fought for victory.  The Roman soldiers pledged allegiance with the generals instead of the Roman Empire.   

Romans chose the laws for the good of the body of the people.  The laws for the Romans came from the emperor.  Germans were the exact opposite.  They chose the laws for the individual people.  The German law came from the people.  The German rulers could not change the law unless they got the O.K. from the people.  The emperor of Rome could change the law whenever he wanted and the people had no say.  The Germans based their law after what their ancestors had used for law.  Instead of writing down the laws, Germans verbally passed them down from parent to child and so on.  

There are many differences between the Germans and the Romans.  While the Romans were a very large empire with a trained army, the Germans were in smaller clans that could also make a impact.  Romans had their slaves to work on the plantations that produced agricultural food.  The Germans grew it themselves.  Laws in different places are decided different ways.  This was the case with the Romans and the Germans.  Just like Americans and Africans the Germans and the Romans were very different.  

In Social Studies we were asked to research Roman and German culture and compare it in a 5 paragraph, factual essay.

Essay

Which would you rather be, a Roman or a German? You don’t know? Here let me compare them for you to help with your decision. The Germans were not considered civil, they were considered barbarians by the Romans because they did not speak Latin. The Germans and Romans had very different ideas of lifestyle, law and army, but neither was right or wrong.

The way of life for the Germans was very different from the Romans. The Germans took part in some of the Roman life, but they kept mostly to their own culture. They lived in thatched huts with mostly farmland and woodland surrounding them. They made their living herding cattle because it provided food and clothes, and occasionally trading with the Romans.Most of the work around the house was done by women, children, or slaves because the men were usually hunting or fighting. Germanic women wore sack-like dresses or long skirts occasionally with a pin or brooch at the shoulder. The men wore tunics with trousers and sometimes a cape with a pin at the shoulder. To the Germanic people, hospitality was very important, so much that it was against the law to turn anyone away from your home. The Romans on the other hand, lived what we would now call ‘a city life.’ If you were a middle class or poor citizen that lived in the city, you lived in an island, or a six-story apartment. If you were rich, you usually lived in a big villa in the countryside. In Rome, the father was the head if the household, his word was law. He arranged children’s marriages and went to work while the wife did her duties at home. The Roman aslo either took part in or watched the Gladiatorial Games at the Colosseum. This was when prisoners of war, enslaved or poor people would fight to the death, against each other or against animals. Romans also watched chariot races at the Circus Maximus, which was a round race track in a building that had a similar shape of the Coloseum.

The Germans were very war-like people, and their war strategies were very different from the Romans uniform lines of legionaries and their extreme discipline and organization. The Germans did not use a fixed set of fighting plans, instead they barged in surprise raids, shouting and screaming to scare the enemy. Germanic soldiers used short swords, heavy wooden axes and daggers as weapons during a battle. Their armor was a wooden shield and a leather suit. Only the men fought in war and they spent most of their time fighting, making weapons and hunting. The warriors went into training when they were just boys and at the end of their training, they earned a sword and shield. Loss of these meant loss of honor. The warriors were divided into groups called clans, these were based to their family ties. The military leader of a clan was called a chieften. German war was closely linked to their religion. They had many gods of war such as Thor and Wodan. The Germans expected their soldiers to win or die fighting. The Romans fighting strategies were almost the exact opposite of those of the Germans. The

In social studies we were asked to write a 5 paragraph essay comparing life, culture, religion, law, and army. This is my essay.

The Germans had a very simple style of life whereas the Romans had a very organized, structured way of life. There were differences in culture, clothing, and law. This essay will talk about all these topics and more.

There were similarities in their cultures, but the Germans preferred to make their own way of life. The Germans lived in small huts surrounded by farms and pastures where they would keep their cattle and livestock. The Romans lived in marble homes called Domus, and apartment buildings called islands. The Romans would keep shops and the rich had slaves. The Germans would herd cattle which would provide food and clothing.The Roman men wore tunics and sandals while the women wore dresses and sandals. The German men wore woolen tunics and close fitting trousers. The tunics would be covered by a cloak fastened by a brooch on the right shoulder. The women would wear women would wear skirts made of yarn or one piece sack-like dresses. They would occasionally wear scarves to keep their necks warm in the cold weather.

The Germans were strong war-like people. The Romans were innovative by using previous inventions made by the Greeks and improving them to make them more powerful, accurate and easy to move. The Germans however, would make their own equipment and armor and they had very little armor. They did fight other empires and kingdoms and had a strong army. Rome had very different generals with different strategies and beliefs.The Romans also had a very strong army but as mentioned before, they made previous inventions more innovative.

German law was very different from Roman law. The Romans believed that law came from the emperor but the Germans believed that it came from the people. The Germans memorized their laws and passed them down instead of writing them down. Their laws were based off of more religious views rather than political views though. An example would be they would punish anyone who didn’t follow their same beliefs . They would often times be thrown out of the society. The Romans had written laws. An example would be the twelve tables. The Germans had a very different system than the Romans.

So, in conclusion, there were some similarities between the Romans and the Germans. There were also many differences between them. Between their daily life, army, and law.The Germans were strong, independent and had their own way of life and culture. The Romans renewed older cultures from different civilizations. These are the differences between the Romans and the Germans.

Overview

This is my 5 paragraph essay comparing the German culture with the Roman Culture. This is going to go in my 7th grade portfolio.

5 Paragraph Essay Romans vs. Germans

Have you ever wondered what the Germanic tribes that took the Romans place were like? When Rome began to weaken and the tribes moved further into Rome there was a lot of culture being mixed together. Western Rome and the Germans lived side by side. This created some similarities and a lot of differences. Their governments were nothing alike. They both like to fight. But the conditions on which they lived were very different. For this essay I’m going to compare the two cultures.

First is the government and law. The Roman Empire was a military dictatorship. It was controlled by the emperor and his army. The emperor had the final say and was usually backed by his military and guard. The Germans had a very different view on government. They believed that law should come from the people. The German rulers couldn’t change a law if the people didn’t agree. The Germans also didn’t write down their law as opposed to the Romans who did (twelve tables).

The next thing that to compare is warfare. The Romans fought a lot of battles but always claimed to be on the defensive. They were a well-organized fighting force. The Germans were different. They didn’t hide their love for warfare at all. In the Roman Empire you might get money if you defeat somebody but the Germanic people earned status based on how strong of a warrior they were. Depending on how many fights you won you might be elected Chieftain (leader of a set of warriors) by your fellow warriors.

The last thing that to compare is the difference in the way the Romans and tribal Germans lived. Rich Romans lived in incredible mansions and led luxurious lifestyles. The larger percent of the population (poor people) lived crammed together on islands (large apartment buildings). The Germans lived differently. They had simple thatched roof hut that they split in half. Half for them and half for the animals. The animal's’ body heat would warm the hut and would be a way that they could heat their huts. There was also not nearly as big a gap in the rich and poor in Germanic society then there was in Roman society. This was because the Germans were an agricultural society where most of the people were farmers. This left a very small gap between the lower and upper classes.

To conclude, there are a lot of differences in these two cultures: warfare, government, and how they lived. The Germans had a much simpler way of life compared to the Romans. They both liked warfare but the benefits from winning a battle were different. The government was a people’s government for the Germans and a military dictatorship for the Romans. These cultures had some similarities but were very different overall.

In Social Studies class, after learning about the Romans we studied the Germans. When we finished learning about the Germans our teacher asked us to write an essay comparing the differences between the Romans and Germans. This is the Essay I wrote:

Have you ever wondered what the difference between a Roman and a German was long ago? German is what we call the several Germanic tribes with similar beliefs. They migrated south, into what was the Western Roman Empire, because of climate change in the north. The Germans were very dirty agricultural people that the Romans got along with half the time. The Romans and the Germans were very different from each other in many ways. A few of the reasons they were different is because of their ways of life, their army's and their laws and government. This essay will explore some differences between the Romans and the Germans.

The German way of life was simple. They lived in small villages. Romans lived in cities. Germans lived in small huts with their animals on the opposite side of the living side to keep their houses warm, unlike the Romans that had separate farms for their animals. The Romans had farmers and their families work on the farms to provide food for the empire. The Germans were very agricultural. The Romans, however, were a trade empire and Rome depended on cities and other empires such as India and China for spices and silk. Also Germanic men wore trousers, which were pants and Roman men wore tunics, which were robe garments. Over all Germans were farmers and Romans were traders.

Germanic armies were separated into clans based on family history. The leader of their army was called a Chieftain. The Chieftain’s job was to keep peace and had complete loyalty. They became a Chieftain by fighting well; over time becoming a chieftain became hereditary. The clans fought in Warrior Bands, which had no fixed plans and raided other armies and territories often. The Germans had great love for war because of their gods. Their gods were very war like; they to fight and hunt. The Roman army was the complete opposite. The Roman army was broken into legions, which was random, and their leader was a General that fought well and kept his army disciplined. The Roman army was very well disciplined and always had a fixed plan for attack.

Germans believed that the people should run the government. Romans believed that one person should run the government and that law came from the emperor. There were Germanic Kings, but most of the laws were passed down from ancestors. The only way for a King to change or add a law is if the people approve of it first. There were no written laws because all laws were passed down from parent to child. Romans had an Emperor that was their leader. The emperor made and changed laws. They also had all of their laws written down; an example is the Twelve Tablets.

Germanic people and Roman people were very different. They had different views of life; the Romans were a trade empire and the Germans were an agricultural empire. The Germans believed that the people should run the government and the Romans believed that an emperor should run the government. The Roman army was very strategic and disciplined while the German army was very disorganized and based on family ties.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 110

Overview of Essay

I wrote it to explain who the Germans were and give many differences between Roman civilizations and German civilizations. It explains three differences; housing, military, and entertainment. It explains leaders, fighting techniques, housing, living conditions and how these people were entertained.  

Building vs shack, Warrior vs legion, and Gladiators vs Gambling; Germans and Romans had completely different housing, military and entertainment. They both live completely different lives, from government to clothing.  These two are almost opposites, but they both have what’s needed to make a successful civilization. Germans are a tribal group made up of many clans; they live off the land and are very simplistic people compared to their neighbors the Romans.  They are ruthless and fearless much like the Romans but their ambition is stronger.

People in the city of Rome are either living the high life in palaces, or the low life in a cramped apartment, but either way they have a place to rest for the night.  Germans share a wooden and straw shack with their livestock; the animals provide warmth for them in the harsh winters. They lived in the shack with their entire family. They lived in villages that were supported by the cooperation between them, and survival of livestock.  Romans lived in marvelous palaces with indoor plumbing and heating.  Even poor Romans had a room with a bucket, and chair. They froze in the winter, but had some warmth provided by heat below in the shop.

The militaries styles were different also, from their leaders to the weapons. Chieftains lead their warriors into their own battle, while a Roman military leader’s fought with strictness and efficiency. German warriors were built into clans or groups that had family ties. They won or lost their own battles with no help under their leader, the chieftain. They swore alliance to him like a Roman soldier needed to. They fought with wooden shields, short swords and heavy stone axes. Soldiers in the Roman army were supplied with a full body shied, and a helmet, plus upper body armor.

A crowd screams in pleasure as a gladiator dies in the arena, Romans watch innocent people being killed or mangled in an arena. The man who probably had a family was killed in an unfair fight. Thousands of citizens cheered for the brutal and bloody sport that is the Gladiatorial Games.  A German group will be entertained by a wrestling or boxing match that isn’t fatal. They take pleasure in gambling livestock, dancing, drinking, and feasting. These were the things that kept a German crowd occupied. They had amazing hospitality and were friendly to guests when they stayed.