MJMA

Roadkill 05/16/12
Science Valentine 03/16/12
My prezi 11/30/11
My Oats Art Picture 11/22/11
Module 1 11/03/11
Eye See You 09/12/11
Blog post 09/07/11

Title: Snow! (02/15/11)
Description: We have been experiencing an unusal amount of snow in a short period of time. We would like to share what we do when it snows!

I feel a lot of things when a snow storm is on its way. When I breathe in it is very cold and sometimes painful. I get excited because it means we might not have school. The sky looks gray and stormy, you can tell snow is on its way. I hear the weather people talking about the snowstorm and to stay inside if possible, of course kids don’t listen them because who wouldn't want to go inside and play in the snow.

During a snow storm I am outside all the time. The snow is is like a giant beach of white fluffy sand, but the sand is cold. You can eat the snow and it tastes like an ice cold glass of water. I go sledding, which is sliding down a snowy hill on a surf board type thing. You can feel the cold wind blowing in your face and the icy ground running under your gloves. It is a big rush, but when you get to the bottom you have to climb all the way up the hill. Another thing I like to do in snow storms is climb up onto my roof and jump off of it into the snow. You might be thinking that I’m insane, but the snow makes the landing soft like you're jumping into a pile of pillows, it is very fun. The longest it has ever snowed for is 2-3 days, sometimes the power goes out and it is extremely cold in the house. When you are outside in the snow you need to wear a warm jacket, snow pants, a hat, gloves, and boots.

After a snowstorm I feel sad. I hear the snowplows on the street plowing away all of the snow and know that the next day I have to go back to school. The way they plow the snow is by attaching a plow to the front of a truck and then driving the truck through the snow and pushing the snow to the side of the road, this allows cars to drive on the roads. The snow plows also make huge snowbanks that are fun to climb and play on. I love winter because you can do just about anything with snow.

Snowstorm

Before:

Usually before a snowstorm the sky gets really dark. Snow storms usually occur in the months of December-February. Sometimes, we are lucky enough to have a snowstorm on a school day, which is called a snow day and we don't have to go to school! The air is very cold and can be windy. Everyone does the snow day “rituals”. Putting a spoon under your pillow, flushing ice cubes down the toilet etc.

During:

Everything is more exciting when snow is falling. When we have snow, there are so many things to do. You can go skiing, snowboarding, sledding, ice skating, snow shoeing, and many other activities. You have to wear snow pants and a ski jacket if you want to play in the snow along with a hat and mittens for your head and hands to stay warm outside. What I don't like about snow is that it's super cold. It also gets very dangerous and icy.

After:

The smell of fresh snow on the ground and a blanket of white on the ground is breathtaking. Sometimes, when it gets warmer while it snows, it starts to rain, which make the snow disappear or slush. Snowplows clear the roads after a snowstorm leaving them snow free for safe driving. There are also snow shovels and snow blowers to clear the roads and driveways so cars can drive.

Snow

Before a snow storm: When ever a snow storm is about to come you can smell the moisturized air, when you walk outside. When the sky looks white, you know that it is about to snow. The feeling before a snow storm is exciting, as you don't exactly know how much you are going to get, until it comes. Before a snow storm you also think about if your going to have school or not. If your going to have a snow day or not? And a snow day is when you don't have school, either when it is snowing hard or the streets are not clear. Before a snow storm, I wait for what the snowflakes are going to look like, and every snow flake is different. The snowflakes are the things that make snow white, and each one is unique. I know that the snow will soon come.

During a snow storm: You look out the window and you see the little snowflakes floating down one by one. And when you look directly at your window you see them stick on the glass. It's more exciting to play during the snow storm then after the snow storm. It's fun to catch snowflakes in your mouth but sometimes they are so little that you can't feel them on your tongue. I could be out there forever, and it's fun to build forts, and snow mans, which are big snow balls piled on top on each other with a hat, scarf, carrot as a nose, eyes as coal, and arms as sticks. It's really amazing when it snows.

In the snow you can make anything you want, a snowman, a snow angel (that is a angel that you make with your arms and legs in the snow), and a snowball that is fun to fool around with your friends. You can also sled down huge hills.

Making forts are really cool to build in the snow because you could make anything you like. It is always fun to build a fort, but it's a lot of work. You can build tunnels and still have them stable, and you can build holes in the snow banks (piles of snow) making them go so far down.

After a snow storm: After a snow storm, there is a feeling that it is still snowing. It's not sad that the snow storm is gone but it is comforting because there is still snow on the ground, hopefully. There is all different types of snow, powder (which is soft and fluffy), icy (which is hard and slippery, and sticky snow (that is good for snowman, snowballs, and forts). There is more types of snow out there though.

Previous to the storm:

A roaring fire inside the cozy cottage. The wind howling outside with flakes just starting to fall. I go and check the thermometer: 10 degrees. This storm seems as if it is coming on fast. I check the fridge to see if we have a lot of food, just in case we get snowed in. I walk to the computer and type www.weatherchannel.com into the URL bar. I check the weather for Rye, NH. As I check it, I think to myself, wow, I can't remember the last time that we got this much snow. We were supposed to get 2 feet. This storm was going to be brutal.

The storm

With one thousand flakes falling down by the second, I know that I won't be able to go anywhere for a while. I go outside to my driveway, and see over one foot of snow. Wow! It has only been two hours. I can't believe how much snow we have gotten. I walk back inside, and realize that I should probably shovel the driveway. I get out the shovel, and take a bit of snow, little by little, until I finally get the whole driveway. I walk back inside, make myself a cup of hot chocolate, and sit on the couch. I then realize that I will have to shovel the driveway again very soon.

After the storm

When it stops snowing, I go outside to check out the scene. I see all of my neighbors outside with their snow shovels. Everybody is now out of their cozy homes, and out In their driveways, ready to get rid of the snow. Snow can be a bad thing, because it is very dangerous to drive, and it is a pain to shovel and get out of the way. Then again, it is fun to sled on.

Previous to the storm:

The storm

After the storm

Fluffy, white, delicate small pieces of unique shapes and sizes. They're cold when they melt on your tongue and fall from the sky so dainty. How they make it to the ground and completely cover it like a white blanket of crystallizing water. Snow is utterly unique and different from anything I've ever seen.

Before the Storm: The sky quickly fills with gray, thick clouds. All of nature is silent. It is cool outside, colder than normal. A breeze picks up, but slowly dies out. Everything is gray while the sun is struggling to break through the big, gray clouds that cover the sky as far as the eye can see. Soon a strong wind will pick up and the first bits of white start falling down from the clouds.

During the Storm: As the white flakes fall down most struggle to stick to the ground. Bigger and bigger chunks of white starts to fall down making a light blanket over the grass and trees. Faster and faster snow from all different shapes and sizes start falling down. The wind picks up rapidly and the first storm begins. The howling of the wind while the snow falls rapidly and in a steady space is breathtaking. It is a beautiful scene, but not as beautiful of what the storm leaves behind.

After the Storm: A white blanket covers all of the land. Sparkling snow and extremely delicate. One touch into the snow and its marked for good. It is cold all around and everybody is stuck in their homes from the heavy, sticky snow waiting for the snow plowers. Snow plowers are a car with a giant scoop on the front of it. It picks up all the snow and places it in the corner of your house. That way you will be able to walk outside of your house and drive your car.

Snow; Turning everything white.

A tiny flake

smaller than a millimeter,

So tiny yet so cold

twirling down,

Accumulating until there's

one, two, three feet or more,

Snowfalls, many kinds

blizzards and ones that disappear,

Walking through

trudging slowly,

Snowmen and women

tunnels and trails,

Sledding and falling

Skiing and snowboarding,

Snow angels

snowball fights,

And much more Snow...

Snow is like rain except it falls under freezing temperatures. It falls more gently and feels like the whiskers of a cat brushing against your hand. It can pile up to three feet high piles, it taste like a cold drink of water but dry. You most where thick close in order to stay warm snow pants are water resident and are made up of many warm layers. Our jackets are about an inch thick for warmth. When the snow gets to high you have to go out and shovels it, though it is light in small bits but when you get a large pile it is extremely heavy. Snow can also be blown by the wind into the drifts, the drifts look like white sand dunes.

In the snow you can build a snow man ywhich has three large snow balls one on top of the other the biggest being on the bottom. Then you can give it arms, sticks, a nose, carrot, and a face of pedals. Building snow forts is one of my favorite things to do, you pile up snow around a small area the walls about two and a half feet tall. The easiest way to get a good front wall is to use a snow plow pile from a plow truck, these piles are about five feet high. Another thing I love is skiing, you strap skies to your shoes (skies are wide fiberglass stakes that are curved at the end) and take chair lift to the top of the mountain and them you slide down on the skies.

On a snow day we don't have school and the snow piles up to a foot. The school calls your house at 6:30 your excited but a little annoyed. This is very exciting and is the perfect time to play in the snow with a friend. The down side is that we half to make it up in the summer. If you have a hill you can make sledding track, this takes a lot of time but it is so fun to sled down again and again. You can have snow ball fights with your snow forts. Then the day ends... but is your lucky day, it's a Friday and you have the weekend to play.

Snow is basically frozen water. When we get snow its like when it rains except that the air is cold enough to freeze the snow witch turns the rain into small ice crystals. So like you guys get rain a lot we get snow a lot in the winter. But the difference is that unlike rain, that goes into the earth, the snow begins to pile up and we get really large mounds of it. Sometimes there is so much snow we can't even have school because they have to get all the snow off the roads. So like rain before a snow storm the clouds get all dark and then the snow starts to fall.

We get all different types of snow. Some snow is really fluffy and light like a giant pile of leaves, and when you jump into it, you sink right to the ground. This type of snow usually falls straight from the clouds in large ice crystals, or as we call them, snow flakes. But not all snow is like this, some snow is is really wet or sticky. This snow falls really fast and there's a lot of it. This snow packs together really well, so it's the best for making snowmen or for you to throw at your little sister, a nice snowball.

Because snow freezes its very cold and when you go outside during winter you want to bundle up. The snow can reach up to our waists or about three feet tall, so we want to were a lot of different clothing. We were a coat, gloves, a hat, snow pants, and boots. I love to go out in the snow and sled. Sledding is when we take a plastic sheet and find a large hill with a lot of snow on it. We go to the top of the hill and and slid down on the plastic sheet. It's a lot of fun because you can get a lot of speed down the hill. All and all snow is a lot of fun.

Snow! Snow is fluffy and white. Before the snow storm or blizzard you feel moisture in the air. You see dark clouds over head. When you wake up you fell a sensation of joy and happiness thinking if school will be canceled. You watch to weather channel on the television you see them talking about how much snow we are going to get.

When you go outside in your puffy coats, large snow pants, warm mittens, funny hats, long scarfs, and heavy boots we go crazy. We sled on a plastic board down a steep hill. Fall in the snow and move are arms and legs back and forth to make a snow angel. Pick up snow, roll it into a ball and throw it at someone and if everyone does this it is called a snow ball fight. Then we roll a really big ball of snow and then a medium snowball and put it on top of the big one, and finally make a smaller one and put it on top. On the top one we stick a carrot from a nose, two eyes made out of coal, some raisins for a mouth, and stick two sticks on ether side for arms, now it's a snowman. We all love to play in the snow.

We come in with red cheeks. We smell hot coco (hot chocolate milk). We take off our layers of warm clothing. We put marshmallows in our hot coco. We all sit at the table and sip our warm drink. After we finish we feel very warm inside. We get comfortable on the couch and watch a movie to end the day of fun.

Snow Storms

Before the snow comes you can feel it in the air and and it is so quiet out the sky turns gray. I listen to the news and listen to for the snow totals around the state. I also look for the school closings and hope to see that my school is closed. It gets very cold out before storm. That is what I do before a storm.

What I do during a storm. During the storm I do not spend 1 minute in side. I get up and see all the snow outside and I get really happy to play in it but before I play in it I have to shovel my driveway and it is really hard sometimes because we could get a lot of snow but then it gets rained on so it is hard to pick it up and shovel it. Then there is the snow that is really fluffy and easy to shovel. Then after I shovel I get on my snow pants,hat,gloves,and snow jacket. Then I go outside and play in the snow if the snow is wet and heavy it is good for snow balls and me and my brother will have snow ball fights. The snow does not really taste like anything it taste like water. The snow does not have any smell. The streets have snow on it so we have a snow plow come and move the snow off to the side of the road so people can drive. We all so make snow men during the storm which is 3 big balls of snow on top of each other and we use a carrot of the nose sticks for the army and rocks for the eyes and mouth.

After the snow storm I still play in the snow but not as much as during the storm sometimes the snow will stay on the ground for days because it is so cold. Other times it will be really sunny out and hot out and the snow will not last for very long. After the storm it is really good weather if it is cold to go skating which is when you metal blades on you shoes and go out and go on the ice and you glide on top of the ice. That is what I do before a storm, During a storm, and after a storm.

Walking on snow is like walking on a cloud. You are bundled in layers of thick, warm clothing in an attempt to stay warm in a blank, white world. The huge snowbanks flatten when you step on them, compressing into thick icy layers. Touching the snow with your bare skin is invigoratingly cold. A burst of energy compels you to leave the snow, but it is so amazing that you can't. Picture your school, your house, your friend's houses, and any other places you visit frequently. Now imagine all of them covered in huge, white hills and dripping spears of clear glass. When you bring a dog out into the snow, they will dash around, nuzzling and jumping through the snow. That may be just a natural reaction to snow for everyone, to have fun in it. People push snow together into balls and throw it each other, laughing and smiling. You and your friends can build a fort out of snow that is cold to the touch but very fun to play in. It can also serve as good protection from snowballs. Sliding down hills covered in snow is very fun, and you leave a big track in the snow. You can take sleds, which come in many shapes and sizes but are made for sliding down snowy hills on, and descend large hills with your friends. When you fall in the snow, you laugh a lot and are completely cushioned by the fluffy cloud-like substance. Snow is a beautiful and amazing thing.

Snowstorms are exhilarating. Waking up late and discovering you don't have to go to school will make you very happy, and when you look out the window and see that there are huge flakes of white dropping from the sky and transforming your neighborhood makes you just as happy. Before a snowstorm, the air is very moist and you can feel the snow coming. Sometimes you can see the dark clouds approaching, which is very exciting. When people talk about school being canceled the next day, you begin to get excited. When there is a snow day, you have a day in the middle of the week to relax, hang out with your friends, and just have a lot of fun. Everyone gets excited on snow days, and you don't usually have to do much work. Sometimes there is a little bit of schoolwork to do, or you may have to shovel your driveway, but none of it is usually a hassle.

After a snow day, everyone is a little bit tired. Returning to school is a little bit of a hassle, but there is still a lot of snow. You can still play even after the snowstorm is over, and when you come back to your house, your yard is covered in white. You can still see the snowflakes covering the ground, and the icicles hanging off of your roof. You still need your snow clothes walking home, and the air remains very cold. A few days after a snow day, you put away your sleds and your boots and wait eagerly for the next one.

Before a snow storm happens usually the clouds get all dark and the air gets cold. But that is only if you are having a big snow storm. A snow storm can happen when you least expect it, only not in the summer or spring. Really all that happens is it's raining. But when water is in really cold air it starts to freeze. It is the same thing with rain. As it comes down it freeze's and becomes SNOW.

During a snow storm is when it's best to get out the shovel and start shoveling so you have less work to do later. In some people's opinion it is the worst part of a snow storm. But in my opinion it is the best part Because I love to watch snow come down in slow motion. I think snow amazing you just cant explain it, Sure there are a lot of describing words for it but it is not the same thing. Even the sound is cool sometimes it's silent sometime it's really loud.

After a snow storm (in my opinion) is when it's best to go outside and play. I really like to make snowman but not all snow is good for that. To make a snowman you need snow that sticks together and not all snow is like that. But if you cant make a snowman you can go sledding or ice skating.

I love snow storms!

Snow can be powder-like, packed and icy. The typical snow is powder but after awhile it becomes packed. When snow is packed you can do stuff with it like making snowmen, forts, tunnels, snowballs, igloos, and more! Packed Snow reminds me a lot of wet sand.Like wet sand it's easy to make different things with. You can still make a lot of things with powder it's just different. With powder snow you can go sledding, skiing, snow-boarding and snow-shoeing.

When you go out into the snow you have to wear specific gear. When you go out in the snow you have to wear at least a large waterproof coat, a hat and most of the time you want to wear boots to keep your feet warm and comfortable. Sometimes you have to wear gloves or mittens and snowpants too. The gloves and mittens protect your hands and the snowpants are basically thick waterproof pants.

It normally only snows in one season, winter. It sometimes snows in fall and spring but that only happens once in awhile.

Playing in the snow is the most fun thing in the world. Before the storm we see these great big and massive clouds that come over our towns. They are big black clouds that make everything look gray and gloomy. During the snow storm it is not very exciting as you can not go outside if it is snowing hard and all you see is white blurs falling from the sky. Everything gets all gloomy before the storm there is really nothing to do except for wait it starts to snow. The clouds sit over you and you have to just wait for the snow. All of the kids are very anxious for the snow to come because then they can do many different things. But still before the storm the clouds get darker and darker and the whole world looks depressed.

The snow starts to fall... little by little the children waiting outside start to see little flakes of snow. All of there friends think they are crazy when they say its snowing because not all of them see it. Then the snow comes down harder and harder until you can see it completely. It looks like people are dumping buckets of graded cheese down. It does not pile up yet because the ground is not yet frozen but in about a half of an hour it starts to pile. You can have thick snow or fluffy snow or slush. Thick snow is not very good for sledding which is where you take something and slide down a hill covered in snow with it. It is very good for making balls of snow and throwing them at people though and that is a ton of fun. Fluffy snow is great for sledding but not good for snowballs. Sledding can serve for hours of fun. The snow still comes down but now it starts to become slush. Slush is a combination between snow and rain. It comes down and it is like a cold mud but it is not dirty. The snow keeps coming down and down but then sadly it stops.

Once the snow has stopped it may still be a little gloomy but the next morning is amazing. If it is a cold day the next day then all the snow will still be there. You can look out and all you see is white... you can look left and see white and then look right and you guessed it see white. With a little sun poking through the clouds it looks fantastic you can see the sun reflecting off of the little crystals made in the frozen wonderland. You can sled, ski, snowboard, make snowmen, have snowball fights, and many more fun things. The snow opens up a whole new variety of activities that we can do for fun and for the enjoyment of oneself. The sad part about the snow is that it does not last long maybe only December into maybe March or April. So we have to enjoy the little snow that we get when we get it and make the best of it. SNOW IS AWESOME!