Copyright (c) 2014 by WJAL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
WJAL -- Blogmeister

WJAL

Class of 2012-2013

by WJAL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Las neas de Nazca están en el sur de Perú en un desierto. Ellos son la octava maravilla del mundo. Ellos son de tipos diferente de animales como el mono. Pero el mono no es un animal en el desierto. ¿Porqúe? Nosotros no sabemos porqúe y cómo ellas fueron hechas. De todos modos, las Líneas de Nazca son miles de de líneas y es muy dificiles ver. Pero en el primer vuelo sobre el desierto en las 1920s, ellos ven las figuras. Necesitan dos días hacer las figuras. Desafortunadamente el rázon sigue un misterio.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 81

Overview of Essay

I wrote it to explain who the Germans were and give many differences between Roman civilizations and German civilizations. It explains three differences; housing, military, and entertainment. It explains leaders, fighting techniques, housing, living conditions and how these people were entertained.  

Building vs shack, Warrior vs legion, and Gladiators vs Gambling; Germans and Romans had completely different housing, military and entertainment. They both live completely different lives, from government to clothing.  These two are almost opposites, but they both have what’s needed to make a successful civilization. Germans are a tribal group made up of many clans; they live off the land and are very simplistic people compared to their neighbors the Romans.  They are ruthless and fearless much like the Romans but their ambition is stronger.

People in the city of Rome are either living the high life in palaces, or the low life in a cramped apartment, but either way they have a place to rest for the night.  Germans share a wooden and straw shack with their livestock; the animals provide warmth for them in the harsh winters. They lived in the shack with their entire family. They lived in villages that were supported by the cooperation between them, and survival of livestock.  Romans lived in marvelous palaces with indoor plumbing and heating.  Even poor Romans had a room with a bucket, and chair. They froze in the winter, but had some warmth provided by heat below in the shop.

The militaries styles were different also, from their leaders to the weapons. Chieftains lead their warriors into their own battle, while a Roman military leader’s fought with strictness and efficiency. German warriors were built into clans or groups that had family ties. They won or lost their own battles with no help under their leader, the chieftain. They swore alliance to him like a Roman soldier needed to. They fought with wooden shields, short swords and heavy stone axes. Soldiers in the Roman army were supplied with a full body shied, and a helmet, plus upper body armor.

A crowd screams in pleasure as a gladiator dies in the arena, Romans watch innocent people being killed or mangled in an arena. The man who probably had a family was killed in an unfair fight. Thousands of citizens cheered for the brutal and bloody sport that is the Gladiatorial Games.  A German group will be entertained by a wrestling or boxing match that isn’t fatal. They take pleasure in gambling livestock, dancing, drinking, and feasting. These were the things that kept a German crowd occupied. They had amazing hospitality and were friendly to guests when they stayed.  

The battle that we did for Prezi was the Battle of Marathon.

Our group was able to do the work but some people got off task and forgot to check the Prezi at the right time. And we somethmes argued about what went where. Me and SSKA did cause and effect. MRPE did the important details and AJRO and KJAL found a way to weave Who, What, Where, Why and When into the other informaton.

We used the textbook, we used an EBSCO artical, and we used a book after finding out that Wikipedia wasn't exactly the best scource of information.

Dear Dad,

Module 1 was a lot longer than I thought, and there are more modules to come. So here's what I learned.

Graphs: We did a quick re-visit on graphs, line and bar. We could read them and turn them into Frequency Tables: Frequency tables are data tables that show how often something occurs. Like age, we use tally marks to show it.

And that's the beginning of Algebra: 9=Z x 3, algebra replaces numbers in a term with letters, so a student can figure out what the missing number is. Exponents: 32, no you do NOT do 3 x 2. it means to multiply the 3 twice or 3 x 3 and that equals 9 not 6 ,you find this in Order of Operations: 3 - 4 x 32 PEMDAS, Parenthesis, Exponents ,Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction. The is the order of what operation you do first.

There are no parentheses in this equation so we go to the exponent. 3 x 3= 9, then the multiplication 9 x 4= 36, after that we do the subtraction 36-3. And it all equals 33. These things are kind of the basics to get us warmed up for a long year ahead ,the next module is problem solving so keep an eye out.

It's the second week of school and we have been learning about the eye in Science class.

In Science we are learning about laptops ,equinoxes and observing things that happen in nature.We have learned that an equinox is when there is the the same amount of day and night and there are four equinoxes in a year.We have also been going out to the garden and observing flowers and plants.We are learning about the parts of a flower and we have been observing and studying a caterpillar that is now a chrysalis in our classroom.We have been sketching and watching it in almost every science class.

Next is the laptops, we started with the laptops recently and got to know this site a little better and understand it more.We learned about what blogs are and how to get homework information. And sources for projects and other parent information.Now onto some info on the classroom it's self. The classroom is on the first floor and is right next to the Language Arts room and the Social Studies room so if you have either of those classes after Science and you don't need to go to your locker to get books it's impossible to be late.Last Friday at the end of the day we went outside to observe nature with four of our five senses.Seeing,hearing,touching,and smelling we didn't include tasting because that would be gross.

Also just like Mrs.Guarnaccia's room Mr.Bissonnette's room has plenty of plants mostly hanging from the ceiling more than on tables. Unified Arts include Art, Spanish, P.E, Tech Ed Life Skills and Music. In Art we are making linoleum plates by carving linoleum away to make a paint drawing and it looks amazing.It is so great being able to work with carving tools and all that stuff, like maybe a poetry wheel and sculpting tools.Personally I love art and Mrs.Vatali is so so so nice it's great to have her for an art teacher.Now onto the next subject which is Spanish. Spanish is fun Even though we can get on senoras nerves but she still does cool stuff.We have started greetings, small talk the alphabet and the culture of Spain.We work with the white boards and our text books too.We watch videos and some of them are hilarious like the lunch lady bit. One of the boys in the video said in Spanish I'm from Cleveland and the lunch lady translated it in English and after that she said "Isn't that Funky." and all of us where laughing our heads off and senora was laughing with us too. 

Next is P.E. Physical Education is a lot of fun and we start by running two laps around the gym.We are involved it team games and we are making sure that everyone is involved and supporting one another and having fun and most importunately be safe and no put downs. we are currently doing basketball practice and doing something called Hoops for Hearts. Hoops fro Hearts is about raising money to help people with heart problems and if you earn a certain amount of money you can get really cool prizes. My favorite U.A is what my next paragraph is about. Life Skills. In Life Skills we learn to sew, cook and we have a little health thrown in there. We started out with cooking. We made salsa and other great things.

After that we focused on sewing and we are makings stuffed pumpkins for Fall Fest. We made hats and sewed felt together and stuffed it to look like a round pumpkin.and it's the best and so is Mrs.Rafferty. Tech Ed is a boys version of haven. It has electric tools hand tools and all that.We started out with ping pong paddles and they are coming on great and we made them look how ever we wanted to. it is an experience like no other and it's awesome. And last but not least is Music. Music is an art and it is a lot of fun too. In music we are doing some drumming, juba, pianos and we are working on reading notes too.We are doing a rhythm with cups also. Now onto the core classes starting with L.A. In Language Arts we just finished Seedfolks, it was a good read. We are logging our reading and doing a wright by sight sort of thing. You pick a picture from a pile and wright a story about it or wright what you see and that stuff. we are working with similies, tendor and vehical.And last is text to world ,text to self and text to text on our latest books.

After L.A is Math, in math we learned about the mass or weight of an object like potatos. We had a pop quiz ,triangles and more. With the potatos we weighted them on scales to see how much they weighed. the pop quiz was a suprise, we worked on fractions decimals triangles and some more stuff. Triangles where an easy subject, the names are Isocilice, Acute, Obtuse, Scaline, right, and equallratal triangles. After that comes Social Studies.iIn Social Studies we are learning about geography.We are learning about Climate Zones, layers of the Earth and deffinitions of all the other things that we're learning about. Climate Zones are parts of the world that have certian tempatures animals,plants and other things. there is two of each zomes. North Pole and South Plole, the Tropic of Cappricorne and the Tropic of Cancer, Antarctic and  Arctic. the vocab is sort of hard there being so many. Weathering, geoghaphy,Irrigation,culture, cultral difusion, erosion, and a whole lot more.That's it for this blog WJAL over and  out.