Copyright (c) 2014 by MHEL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MHEL -- Blogmeister

MHEL

Class of 2012-2013

by MHEL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Title: Romans in Scotland - A first person account (02/11/10)
Description: Using information taken from the BBC website "Romans in Scotland" Students wrote a fictional account from either the point of view of a Roman or a Celt about the contact between these two cultures. Students were expected to use an introduction, body & conclusion format and to embed researched facts into their account

Today is the day we fight the celts, but first i have to take a bath in the bath house and get all my armour and then talk to my officer. First ill explain a little bit on where i sleep. I sleep in the barracks also known as the sleeping quarters. There are 20 rooms and 4 men per room. Our room is 50 meters long and 10 meters wide. Next its time to get all my armour on. My lorica covers my back and my chest. My armour doesn't hold me back its easy to move in. My cassis or helmet is bronze, its made of a strong skull cap with iron underneath, its curved to protect my neck. My sagum drapes over my back and is the color red so we stand out. It straps around my shoulders. My caligae or my boots are made of cowhide. We would repair them each night. We wore socks with out coligae. I have 3 weapons and 1 scutum, i have 2 pilums and and one spetha. My spetha is short, it has a 2 ft long blade. Its usally 2 inchess wide. We are taught to stab. My pilums are ten inches at the point and are made of soft iron. My scutum is made of thick wood, i have a peice of iron in the middle. We carry kit bags on our left shoulder. They weigh up to 60 pounds. Now its time to go talk to my officer in the head quarters. We meet our officers there and they have a water clock. I almost forgot to talk about the bath house! Our bath house is heated with drains. We have a gameboard in there. We use a toilet brush in there. Our commander has a house that he can have his family live in durning the winter. They have servents,he has everything of his own all in one building! We have to stop over at the workshops too. They carry everything from pick axe's to wheeled wagons. Our side the walls we have a perade ground. We train out there. Sometimes we have ceremonies out there too..

Today we invaded the celts, they dont live as good as we do and it was easy to get into there village. They dress alot different like they had a sheild made out of wood covered in leather. There helmets were made out of metal and leather. There boots were made out of leather and they had a copper bronxe necklace. There hair was either red or blondish. They shaved there faces but were still very hairy! They wore bright colorful clothing. They had a long weapon attached to a chain that went around there waist. There spears were pointed with iron heads. Now dont get me wrong but they had a weak village but strong men like us! There houses were round instead of cornered. They had crops of barley and oats. They had large heards of animals. They had a blacksmith to make thinkgs out of metal. We saw people eating lots of oats and beef and pigs aswell. They had under ground areas called cellers, and they had grains pits. we ened up making a truce with the celts and we will watch them because they cant take there power back from us nad we will know when they start training again to try and attack us. We have tall walls only we know how to get in! Well there's a ceremonie starting in a few so i have to go get ready!

JOURNAL

This is property of Quintus Praenomen

Former Roman Soldier

January 21, 368 Common Era

As I made my way to the barracks, I felt deeply tired, and I let my mind wander. We had already been settled in northern Scotland for many years and life as a Roman soldier was becoming very repetitive and isolated. Although other legions were said to have been in high contact with the Celts, we had only met the Celts a few times, and it became apparent that although they considered the arts and music to be very important, it was obvious that they lacked in a unified army. Most Romans felt very confident if the Celts decided at any point in time to revolt, we would be able to defend ourselves easily, we were totally wrong.

One day as we were performing drills in the parade ground that surrounded our fort, the Celts came. As the Celts approached I could not help but notice how different they were. Their appearance alone was a drastic change. While all Roman soldiers wore heavy metal armor, the Celts did not have any type of body protection other than their large shields. Although the Celts had an advantage over us because of their surprise attack, I felt confident that we could still win. Our Roman legion was a very unified and disciplined army that was already preparing its defensive stance, while the Celts charged blindly without any visible leader. As the Celts approached they began to throw their spiral tipped spears at us, and they quickly removed much of our front line with their deep gouges. Their was a major flaw to these spears though, unlike our spears that were made of softer metal that immediately crushed on impact, these Celt weapons could be thrown back at them. As combat became closer, the Celts released their swords from their chains around their waists, and began their slashing. They were quickly counter-attacked by the strong thrusts of our double edged blade. Although we fought well on that fateful day, the Celts with their strong motives won this small battle against the overpowering force that had been in power across Scotland for many generations. Being a Roman I was taught never to surrender even when I was sure there was no way that we could become victorious. I was one of a few lucky Romans who escaped with their lives on this fateful day, only to become a Celt's hostage.

As we approached the Caledonian village I immediately noticed the differences between it and the Roman forts. Surrounding the village was a wall, although it was similar to the walls surrounding Roman forts, it became evident that these walls were less sturdy than the 3 meter high walls I was accustomed to. As I entered I was amazed by the differences of the buildings alone. While the buildings in Roman forts were large rectangles, these two story houses were circular. At the top of the stone structure, there was a thatched roof that I had never seen the likes of before. We were brought into one of these circular houses and left alone, if you didn't count the guard standing outside of the door. Once we were inside we began to create a plan of escape, we decided that it would be best to leave during the night. When darkness fell we crept across the village silently, on our way out I noticed a strangely shaped thatched roof building that I guessed was a souterrain. During my time in the Roman legion I had been told of these underground cellars that the Celts were said to be using to store grains and other foods. As soon as we were out of the village we began to make our way to the nearest Roman fort, in search of safety.

During this battle and short time as a hostage, I realized that although the Romans and Celts are two very different types of people, neither is always better than the other. When I first witnessed the Celts, I mistook their differences to be primitive compared to our ways, but I quickly understood that although they lacked the ground-breaking weaponry and tactics of the Romans, they fought with all their soul for what they believed in. As a Roman I fought on behalf of the empire with only a goal of expanding the empire, and pleasing our generals. The Celts on the other hand fought for the freedom of Scotland's natives against the tyrants that had taken it away from them. Although the Celts had only won one battle so far, they now understood their potential. I have, and always will be loyal to the Roman Empire, but I have come to respect my enemy the Celts, for although we have many cultural and militaristic differences, they are very powerful foe.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 82

Hello, my name is Glutious, and I am a soldier in the Druidic tribe of Caledonia. I have just returned from my second day of battling the evil Roman empire for reasons I am not even aware of. All I remember is that I awoke one day to find our chief commanding us to grab our spears, and shields, put on our helmets, and head right in to battle! I knew immediately that we weren't fighting against another Celtic tribe, these warriors were different. They were clean-shaven, what brats In addition to their spear, they had a short-sword strapped to their belt, much shorter than my own 4-foot claymore. Our shields could block most blows, as they covered our whole body, but their breastplates could block what their smaller shields couldn't. These men, as much as I hate to say it, are quite elite.

I have returned from my third day of combat, and I had the opportunity to see and destroy a Roman fort, as well as almost perish in it. THese Romans have a much more sissyish and posh lifestyle, it is disgusting. They have massive walls around their fort, and even around those walls they had big, deep ditches to protect the village outside the fort. We burned it, haha! It took many hours of hard work to break through to the inner fort, and we lost many men due to the archers and sling-shotters above. I had never seen such thing before. As we began to charge through the fort, swing our claymores at any sign of movement, my full-body shield picked up a very long javelin. I reached around my shield to try to hurl it back, but i realized that its head was destroyed upon impact, much different from our much more durable, reusable spears.

The siege continued, and both Scotch and Romans were falling, but i soon began t orealize something, where do these Romans live? I found only one large, well fortified house, and a bunch of other exotic looking buildings, one of which seemed to have been flooded with water. If only I could find their homes, and burn the wretched things, they would have to retreat! I think I musts tell Chief of this plan, for we are entering our 4th day of battle at dawn, and we are losing numbers rapidely. I hope I am not the next to fall...

My name is Roccus, I am a Roman warrior. Unlike the Celtic warriors, I am better protected for fighting. My shield protects my entire upper body,and it is curved so it fights around my body, the Celtic warrior shields are much smaller. My helmet is much better than those of the barbaric Celts that we fight. My helmet is made from strong metal, so it deflects the blow of a sword; and although the sword hits might chip away at the helmet, the helmet will still save our lives. The armor is very strong, it protects my shoulder and stomach from jabs of the sword or a spear. It doesn't totally protect me from the spear, but it has protected me in most battles.

Even though it can get cold at night, I have a red tunic that keeps me warm because it is made of wool, and in the winter it especially keeps me warm. They are lightweight, so I with all the other equipment I have on, the tunic doesn't make me tired. I can go to different types of climates and terrains, like a snowy mountain, especially if I keep on moving, because I will stay warm, especially if I keep on moving.

My favorite piece of my outfit are the sandals, because they are strong and made from leather; I think we have much better foot protection than the Celts. There are iron hobnails in the soles to make them last longer, so I don't have to worry about changing my shoes each time I am in a battle. We use the shoes all year round, so they are good in any type of weather.

The most difficult thing for me is joining the army at the age of twenty. I feel proud to be in the Roman Army, and have only fought one battle, but I also feel like I was too young to leave home; it was tough to leave my family, I really wanted to settle down a bit. Now, we are constantly moving, conquering different places, so I never feel like I am at home anywhere I go.

Hi name is Marcus Pandodias, I am a Roman citizen and soldier.  I am 20 years old so you know I just began my service to the Roman Empire.  I am fully prepared and trained to work in this professional army.

I am a Roman soldier preparing to attack the Celts.  I am marching to my base to sleep in the barracks before the war tomorrow.  I can see the huge walls to the base so I know we are getting close.  I enter the gates that protect us. I went to the workshop to prep my armor and sword, they are both made up of heavy metal.  I sewed my red woolen tunic together, because I ripped it while I was walking here.  I need to repair it because it gets very cold at night, and I want to make sure that I can keep warm so that I get sleep and am ready to fight the Celtic warriors.

It is now time for me to check in with my commander at the headquarters, to see what time we have to leave.   I found out that we are leaving two hours before sunrise, so I know that I have to have my kit prepared and ready to go.  When I get back to the barracks, I will drop my heavy armor, that seems to be better protection than the Celts armor, ours is more curved and protects my body more.  My meal tonight will be snails.  After I eat, I will be going to bed; it is difficult to sleep in the barracks, because there are many other soldiers and we are very nervous about having to go into battle against the Celts.

The next day I will wake up, get up, go to the baths where I will wash up and see the commanders as they come out of the command quarters. I go back to the barracks to get dress for war. I put on my heavy body armour like my metal chess plate and metal helmet, which the Celts do not have.  I feel very prepared with my armour because we have the finest of any other countries. 

I am going out and I started to see the Celts.  While we are marching I see how poor their armour is.  It is hardly anything. The helmet is made from leather.  The only thing that can protect them in their shield.  They have a simple long weapon to defend them.  I think we will win the battle.  

I look at their fort from far away and it does not look advanced at all.  They only have simple buildings that don't look permanent. Their is no protection other than a small wall.  We are only a few more feel away from the Celts and we are starting to fight.  I will fight with my spear and my sword to defend and be victorious. 

In the end we had won the battle against the Celts.  It was bloody and hard to see some of my fellow soldiers die.  We took the Celts shields and other weapons and brought it back to our fort.  I am going to rebuild a city and live here for awhile until the next war. 

Roman Soldiers and Caledonian Warriors

Hello there, I am a Roman soldier I fight for the Roman army. Many years ago I lived with my family in Rome. My father was in charge of the household, he planned all my siblings marriages. My siblings and I went to school until we were 12. The rich boys continued their education until they were 15, and the rich Roman girls got special private lessons at home. When we were growing up we had no team sports but we had public games that were held by the government. These games included chariot racing, gladitorial games and circuses. It was awful seeing the people and animals die while playing the public sports.

Being a Roman soldier is not easy. We had to wear all kinds of armor and equipment, such as a sheild, helmet, tunic, boots, and swords to help us fight against the other armies. Some of the other armies such as the Caledonian warriors wore really heavy equipment also. They wore things like a torc, helmet, shoes, weapon and a shield to protect themselves from us. Fighting was not easy for us, but most of the time we won because we had such a well equipt and strong army.

As a soldier i stayed in a Roman soldier fort, this protected us from any enemies. There were five different locations for us to go into. They were the barracks where we slept, commanders quarters where the ruler stayed, bath houses, workshops where we made lots of different tools for fighting and the main head quarters. Out fort was surrounded by gates and fences and next to that was the parade ground where all of our parades took place in. The caledonian warriors stayed in their village which was made up of houses, and workshops. This was not well as ours, which means that they were not as wealthy as our Roman soldiers.

As you can see the Roman army that I was in was very good. We were good because were well equiped, wealthy, and the other armiers were not as wealthy, well equiped, or as good at fighting as we were. I enjoyed being a Roman soldier because I got to experience a lot of things that I normally would not have been able to. I really like growing up as a Roman boy and going to school. Education taught me a lot so that I could have a family of my own.

Hello my name is Maggacus and I'm a Roman soldier. I am going off to war and staying in the barracks with many other soldiers that I do not know, so it will probably be very uncomfortable, I am not good at meeting new people. I feel that I am lucky to be a Roman soldier because the Romans are more advanced then the Celts. We are a more organized army and we have more soldiers. My family felt I was too young to go off to war but I had to go because I turned 20; and now I have to stay in the army for 25 years, because those are the rules. I also have a sister that wants to fight in the army to but she can't becasue she is a girl and girls can't fight in the army.

The Romans are more advanced then the Celts because we have body armour like breast plates so we don't get stabbed in the heart, our shields are very curved, which helps protect us better as they curve around our entire bodies. We also have tall leather shoes with many nails in the bottom of them so they won't wear out as easily, it also helps them stay on our feet better. The Celts just have one big shield made of wood covered with leather, the wood is not an effective way of protecting them, as it can splinter if it is hit by swords too many times. The Celts also don't have body armour like we do. They do have the same type of shoes as us but theirs are shorter so they can fall off while they are running or marching, they need to fix their shoes more often then we do.

I don't just think that we have a stronger army because of our organization and the fact that we have many soldiers, I also feel that the Romans are more advanced than the Celts in the way that we house our soldiers. The Romans have better buildings for example... we have bath houses so that we can clean ourselves after we have been gone on the battlefield for many days. There are gates and surrounding walls which block people from coming into the barracks. Roman buildings have better roofs, not ones made of mud and hay like the Celts. We also have a place for our Commanders to live as they have alot of responsibility.

As you can see the Romans are far more advanced then the Celts. The things we have like the armour will really help us win the war. The Romans also are a well organized army and are well fed. When we are well fed it helps to keep our energy going for the war and so we are not tired. Another way that we are prepared for war is the kit bag we have to carry wich has food and armour. Although the bag is about 60 pounds we practice carrying it and so it won't be as difficult for us to carry when we do go to battle. I think that all of these things combined help to make the Roman soldiers more powerful and we will be able to win our battles, as we have already done in some places, then the Celts.

Hello, I am Bamus Margerus. I am a great Roman warrior.  If you are reading this, then I am dead and all I can leave you is my story. My story begins in Rome when we were preparing to leave and to conquer Celtic villages.  Some Celtics were hostile while others were friendly.  We thought it would be simple, go in raid the houses and try not to shed too much blood, but we were wrong.

We had the advantage when it came to completely conquering one another because our forts were stronger and held up better.  But when it came to combat it was pretty equal.  While they had long swords we had spears and swords.  Most of the battle would have been done by land but some of the battle would have been fought on water.

Our plan was too travel and destroy any villages that would come in our way.  We did end up allying with some Celtic villages but others not so much.  Their bright and colorful clothing made them stand out from a lot of different things basically giving us a target.  We wore black jackets of metal plates which was helpful in combat.

We destroyed many armies of Celtic on our way.  It was very brutal.  Every second heads would fly and guts and blood would splatter on our four foot sword and the Celts body covering shield.  We would stab our swords into there stomachs and twist and pull it out so there guts would fall out why they would get on there knees gasping for air and slowly dieing. 

When my army and I finally made it to one of the main Celtic village,we thought that we had finished our journey but standing there was Arthur, another great warrior with his army.  We both signaled our armies to stop.  He wielded his long sword while I had my spear.  We ran at each other and our weapons clashed together.  We both had small daggers which we drew out and stabbed each other below the shoulder.  We screamed and both fell to the ground, but before my vision faded i saw him drop as well with blood of dark red drip down his back while our armies collided and then, slowly, my vision went black.

My name is Macro, as we march into Scotland some of the Celtics were peaceful and some of the people were military. As a Roman soldier I entered this military force when I was twenty. I hate how the barbaric Celts live in little huts, they have no armor, circle shields, unlike ours that are square with curves at the end to protect us from being hit from the side. We both do wear helmets for protection, but our Roman helmets protect necks better because it is curved on the bottom almost like a visor. on the back of the helmet. We wear sandals made of hard leather and the souls have iron on the soles to last longer. They only wear bright color clothes why we wear heavy metal breastplate for armor that had metal plats over each other so it protects even more. So that why they are barbarian there not civilized people.

As we saw some Celtic villages they have no baths , all they have are houses and a workshop. We have barracks those are our houses. A work shop, head quarters building, a commanders quarters, bathes. We have walls around our buildings. have four places were we can come in. we have trenchers around the walls for protection. We are so much more civilized then the Celtic we keep clean while they roll in there own dirt. my leader Julius Caesar he is a strong leader and smart. I'm a part of the legionnaire. There are up to 5000 people.

As we captured the land of the Gaul and now we are making our villages in Gaul going to rest down for the rest of the life. Get a wife maybe have a couple of kids and settle down.

macro

The Barbarians

Day 1: This is my first entry in my new book that Ma sent to me. I'm so excited to start! My name is Pygarin, and I'm on the invasion group for Britannia. The trip will take a couple weeks depending on weather and how fast we move. When we get there it should be exhausting, but we are here, and we rest for today, and then we go north to meet the barbarians/ inhabitants of britannia.

Day 2: We are just about to head out, it's a three day march but at least we are all well rested.

Day 14: We arrive  at this place which is very  weird, there is fog half the year and everything is wet and or rusted. Our commander tells us to dry and clean our armour everyday so it does not rust. Today was great, we were able to rest and relax all day but we all know it is short lived because we are heading out tomorrow.

Day 20: We see the first village. It is so different than what we are used to. It is small, dark and there are just huts no real buildings like we used to see in Rome. The people are savages, their kids play in the dirt when we used to play with toys, their bread has small rocks in it because they leave the dough on the ground. I could not imagine living in these kinds of situations. We set our tent that will provide temporary shelter,while we build our permanent building. At last it is done, we can relax until ordered to invade but who knows how long that will take.

Day 30: We get orders to invade the village that we are close to so we march, the Celts see us coming and get ready even though they are out marched and out skilled, they are brave, they fight with heart and soul I cannot say that about our people, in that battle I gained a new respect for the Celts, and even though I would not admit it I, lost a little respect for our army.

Day 31: We were made to make a wall that divided the north and south Britannia.  It was difficult to build the wall, and I am wondering if the Celts ever had to do the laboring that we Roman soldiers need to do.

Day 62: We are done  with the wall it took awhile but it is done and we had help from the other forts.  We are fortunate that the Roman soldiers work together, we have great unity, and my guess is that the Celtic soldiers are not as unified as we are.

Day 400: We are ordered to leave, I do not know why, but we are paid to listen to orders, not to ask questions, but one thing, for some reason I cant find my other sandal, I guess I will never know what happened to it. On our way back we stopped  at a small town, while the rest of the soldiers rested for the day, I went to the market to get my daughter a gift. I got her a small doll that iIthought she would very much like. This is my last entry forever for there is no more room on the pages.  All I can say is that the Celts  were not what I expected,they were a nice people and I wish to see them again,  now that I am done fighting them.

my last entry Pygarin

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 03:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

Romans in Scotland Essay

Hello my name is Brookeius Mattheius and i am the wife of a roman soldier. I am going to be telling you about the Lifestyle in a Roman fort and what they wear, and also what the Caledonians wear and their lifestyle. My husband has been sending me letters about all of these customs they have to get used too. And hes says that there'a a big differnece between the Roman fort and the Caledonian village so I will also tell you about these differences, they are very interesting.

First let's talk about my husband and all of the roman soldiers and their fort and what they wear in battle. A Roman fort usually has a Commanders House which is where the commander lives with his family, it is built around a courtyard and has its own baths, kitchens, and underground heating. There are also Baths where they take hot and cold showers and some even sweat in saunas. There are also the Barracks where my husband and the soldiers live. He said there are 20 rooms in a block with 4 men and there is also a common room where they play games and keep all of their belongings. The craftsmen, blacksmiths, and butchers need a place too and this place is the workshops. In the workshops they keep fresh meat, weapons and armour. They also have carpenters and plumbers who build tents buildings and bags. Then there is the main building the head quarters where he said him and the others had to say an oath to the emperor who makes speeches and punishments. But the fort isnt the only thing about the roman soldiers its also their uniforms. They wear metal armour to protect their chest, and a warm waterproof cloak to put over it. They also wear helmets made out of bronze and iron. Their weapons are 2 spears with a long iron point that when thrown would bend and not be able to be thrown back. They have a great offensive weapons but they also have great defensive weapons like the 4 ft. sheild made of wood and iron, and their thick leather shoes that help them get over tough terrain. But their belongings are kept in a kit bag which carries their equipment, food and building tools. Well this is what the roman soldiers wore and where they stay now let's see what the Caledonians wear and where they live.

Now let's talk about the Caledonian Village and what they wear for uniforms. The Caledonion Village is made up of houses, workshops, and herds of animals. The houses are round with peaked roofs, they have 2 floors where they cook, sleep, weave cloth, and tell stories about old and wise Caledonians. In the workshops they made tools out of metal that they would stick in a hot stove and then hammer out a mold. They made this molded metal into armour, helmets, and weapons. The herds of animals live outside of the village and are used mostly for food like goats, cows, pigs, and venison. But they also used the animal's bones and skin for things like building tools and leather. This is the Caledonian Village but that's only half they also wear a completely different uniform then the romans. Unlike the romans the Caledonians wear colorful woolen clothes insead of metal armour. My husband said they also wear a torc which was a copper necklace usually in a shape of a snake. He also said they have different shaped spears that were much longer and had sharp pointed tips like teeth that made a deep wound when it cut into one of his fellow roman soldiers. But like the romans they have big shields that protected not just their legs but their whole body and they are made out of leathercovered wood. He aslo said they would have designs of wild beasts on them.

Well as you can see the Roman forts and uniforms and the Caledonian Villages and uniforms are very different in style. From shorter spears that bend, to longer ones with spikes and smaller tougher shields to big mighty beasts, the Caledonians and the Romans are definately different people but have the same strengths and powers of a good civilization and culture.

Article posted February 20, 2010 at 03:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

The first sign of outsiders was the steady and repetitive "thud thud thud" of their boots stomping across our land. There were hundreds of them tightly aligned in disciplined squares and ranks, keeping their shape no matter what the terrain. They were the infamous Roman Army, and they have reached our corner of Scotland. The story you are about to read is a ballad of my adventures and travels as a Celtic warrior at the time of the Roman occupation. Our differences were tremendous, them with their organized formations, standard issue equipment, and elaborate barracks. And then there's us, with our rustic lifestyle, individual fighting tactics, and poorly made weapons and gear. Now I understand why many of us decided to ally with them...

They are clearly more advanced and sophisticated than we are. They have mastered the art of organized warfare, whilst we are still using tactics such as, get to the battlefield, and run at the enemy screaming and shouting. Their ranks are swift and powerful, and they all move as if they were one. The front of the formations are impenetrable, 14 foot spears jutting out from a row of perfectly aligned metal shields. They all resemble each other, all the same uniforms with a chest plate,a blood red cloak and a bronze helmet. We are all forced to make our weapons and equipment individually, which makes some of us able to take more abuse than maybe the man next to us who made his gear poorly. They live in elaborate barracks which seem to be more sophisticated and luxurious than the villages we have spent years building, when they only take months to make these elaborate settlements. They have elaborate bathhouses with running water, heat, and artificial lighting. The barrier separating the Roman base and the rest of Scotland is close to 10 feet tall. We have little or no protection from the elements or attack besides our meager structures. Their wardrobe consists of brightly dyed robes and gowns, with shoes of strong leather, and jewelery of gold and gems. We also have gold and gem studded jewelery, theirs is so much more elaborate. Our clothes are basically cloth that has been fitted to us. The few encounters in trade and in battle have yielded much information, but this information also tells us that they are FAR superior to us in every way.

The Romans seem to have the upper hand in battle, and in trade they always seem to have something new to offer. They are tactically, weaponologically, and strategically superior when it comes to warfare. In the field of lifestyle, they have running, heated water, exotic clothes and items, and are more socially sophisticated. We are more agriculturally stable, since we have known the land for generations. Although, I wonder how long it will take them to adapt to the climate here. It is much colder than Rome, and there are different plants and game. They will probably be quick considering they have adapted to everything almost instantly, I fear soon they will have no need for us. Only time will tell, but it is time now to carry on with daily life as a Celt, not a "sophisticated" or "advanced" Roman, for they have every luxury we don't.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 02:06 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 48

My name is Travacis Pastranacis I am a Roman soldier in Scotland. In this document I will be talking to you about my experience in Scotland when I was younger. I'm going to talk about the Roman Barracks, the Roman soldier, Celtic soldier and, the Celtic village. The Roman's captured Gaul(France) then are army tried to capture the Celtic people in Scotland.This country was cold, the Roman's never captured Scotland because the harsh weather was hard on the soldiers.

The soldiers in the two armies are totally different, one army is full of highly trained soldiers, the other army was full of barbaric men that have weapons that scare people more than hurt them. The Roman soldier had specially designed armer so he could not get hit in his weak spots there for making the Roman soldier unstoppable, but some how the Celtic's held the territory of Scotland. The Celtic soldier had no armer except a crummy helmet and a shield. The Celtic soldier also has a short sword and a spear like the Roman soldier, but the Roman soldier had higher quality weapons. Some how the Celtic soldier fought off the Roman's and saved they're country.

Now we're talking about the shelter each of the civilizations use. Again Rome really out did The Celtic's. The Roman barracks had a door at the south, west,North and, East and two half's so if the barracks is attacked they only have to defend half of it. The barracks was not very comfortable believe me, but the bath housing was very great. Now the Celtic village is really junky compared to the Roman barracks. The Celtic village was a couple of huts and was as high-tech as Rome nine hundred years ago. The village had a wood picket like fence around it with their animals around it. the to living "areas" are totally different even though the Romans are building temporary barracks.

As you see us Romans are much better then those barbaric Celtic's. Are soldiers are trained and disciplined. They're soldiers are just crazy and lucky to live. Are barracks have baths and toilets and wiping utensil's. They're villages have rivers and for wiping utensil's they had they're hands, ugh disgusting. As you the Celtic's way of life is far in-superior compared to us Roman's.

I am a Caledonian solider i live in a very small mountain village. I Live in a thatched roof house. My house is right next door to the workshop. As i walk out of my small house, i say good bye to my wife and family and set out to meet the rest of our army for our big battle with the Romans we hope we will win but no doubt the Romans might just be too strong for us.

Our army's plan is to attack to the Romans at one of their nearby camps. While they worked in their workshops, bathed in their bath houses with hot water , toilets and drains. And while they relaxed we would try to do a surprise attack. But it was too late. were marching to the camp to attack but they were already coming to attack us. My men and I all started to worry because all our plans have changed immediately, we had to fight at once. As we approach the Romans on the battle field I was frighted by the there sharp spears with the 10 inch long points, their strong protective armor, their big 4 foot long iron shields. Our helmets were only leather and their helmets were iron so much more protective then ours. My weapons were primitive and my shield wooden. Our army is not nearly as strong as the Romans wealthy fierce worriers.

The Romans started to charge at us and throwing their spears that when they hit one of our shields the point would bent and wasn't able to be thrown accurately again. Many of our men were being stabbed by sharp pointed Roman swords. All of us had no choice but to defend our selves and our land. This battle was intense and i knew it would be a bloody one.

After a long fight it was clear that the Romans were just too strong and better equipped and our leaders and commanders gave up and we retreated. It was difficult to go home to all of our small mountain villages. All though both army's had workshops and the desire to defend there land the wealthy Roman empire was the best. Not winning the battle made us feel defeated but it was good to being going home alive. It was good knowing that we wouldn't have to fight the undefeated Roman army again because now all of the Caledonians were under the power of the Roman empire. When all the soldiers got home their families were very happy to see and welcome them home even know they didn't win.

Hi my name is Tyler Ceaser.  I am a 21 year old Roman soldier.  Earlier today we were fighting the Celtics.  They are good fighters but they are completly different then us.  They have different armor, clothing, weapons and their village.  You would think that since they have worse items then us that they would be horrible fighters but they are good.  I dont understand how they are good fighters.    

We, the Romans have a helmet with bronze so it would be harder to penitrat then metal, which is what the Celts use.  Our sheilds are made of wood but we have a metal typer peice in the middle to help deflect strickes and the Celts have a sheild which is also made of wood and covers whole body because its so long.  We have two spears and the point is ten inches and we also have a sharp short sword and the Celtics only have one spear but the point is spiral and they have a short sword too.  In the bath house we would either be in a bath or on the toilet and we would chat to others near or right next to us.  We would talk about government or polotics or just about life so we wern't just war people we would talk, we had a social life.  While we are at the barracks we found mice and we would stuff them and eat them.  If we wanted a midnight snack we would just a mouse.  We had amphora which was a clay pot which we put oil, wine and other liquids in.    

The Celtics had large herds of animals to eat but also to show wealth.  They would get herbs to eat but they would also use herbs for medicine.  If someone got hurt in battle or got hurt from the village they might put medicine or the herbs on the wound.  They made thread so they could make clothing so they could keep warm.  Although a good thing about the Celtics is that people died young and the ones that didn't would become wise and tell stories. 

Now you know about the Celtics and us and how much different we are.  I cant tell how the Celts are just as good as we are.  It seems like we have better and stronger equipment then they do.  I hope that are next battle against the Celtics we destory their village and wipe them out forever because the Romans are the best fighters on the mediterrainian border and we will later be the best warriors in the world.  I am going now to hopefully finish this fight against the Romans and the Celtics.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 12:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 58

Blue

1/18/10

I am Dido, I live in Rome it is the year 70 B.C.E.  I live in the commander's quarters in a small city. I will soon be sent away for winter because I am not permitted to stay in my home during the winter.  I will take my children and I will find a new place to stay with them.  In our home now we stick to a schedule like this one during the day. At VII we wake up and eat breakfast. Then we go outside and visit the garden. We all eat lunch at 𐅡II PM then we bathe and the servants clean up from lunch, then prepare dinner.  during the gap between lunch and dinner we often visit the stables.  Once we are through with the stables we go inside to eat dinner, wash up and go to bed.  My son Arrianus will be sent to be in the army soon. Our army is mighty and strong and Arrianus can't wait to be able to join into the battles. 

At VII we wake up and eat breakfast. Then we go outside and visit the garden. We all eat lunch at 𐅡II PM then we bathe and the servants clean up from lunch, then prepare dinner.  during the gap between lunch and dinner we often visit the stables.  Once we are through with the stables we go inside to eat dinner, wash up and go to bed. My brother, Pompeius is in the army, he works very hard and when he is home he enjoys explaining to us about his rivals, my children all love the story about when he fought the Celts, a strong army, but not strong enough.  They all wore bright clothing, like tunics died bright colors and woollen trousers called breeches or bracae.  They also wore stripped or checkered cloaks and used a long sword for slashing and cutting, they carried spears with twisted heads that caused a deep wound in their enemies.  They had a long shield to protect their whole body.  The Romans invaded in the year 89 B.C.E. the Roman army is mighty and they do not wear trousers and blouses in battle, they wear metal armor over a leather jacket and a helmet.  They also have a spear that will bend once piercing the enemies so it cannot be reused.  They carry a kit bag filled with food and a kettle, and a hand mill for grinding corn.  The kit bag also had all of the extra tools like the an ax, a rope, and iron chain, a saw, and a wicker basket for moving dirt.  The Romans wear boots, which are opened toed sandals with an almost two inch soul.       

In the end we Romans defeated the Celts, we are a stronger, more professional army and we went in and took over, but we try not to disturb the citizens of Caledonia. We are now an even larger civilization and I feel as if we have risen to be the greatest army in the world.  Arrianus will soon be one of the accomplished men, of the great Roman Army.  I am off now to eat my lunch and will leave this note, here in the garden for examination after my life has passed me by.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 01:10 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

Hello,  my name is Bobicus Caticus and i am a Roman soldier.  As i am writing this, I am getting ready to fight the Celts.  I am in the Barrads that is meant for sleeping and is ten meters wide and fifty meters long.  Across from us is the headquarters, where the weapons are stored. And then the workshops. These are where the skilled craftsmen work and butchers are. In the North is the Commanders quarters. The Commmander lives with his family and servants there. Then West of the Commander are the baths.

As the times passes its getting closer and closer to the fight to win the Scotish land from the Celts. I put on  my clothing and take my weapons to fight. The clothing that I put on consists of:a sagum (cloak) thats warm and waterproof, then my Lorics ( armour) that protects my back and my chest then over that is a leather jacket. Then my Caligaes(boots) that are made of cowhide and are opened toed.  My scutum(sheild) is curved and rectangular that protects my shins.I put on my cassis(helmet) which is bronze with iron underneath.There is a metal peak that protectes my forehead and a cruved plate to protect my back and neck. I take my Pilum or also called a hasta(spear)  that has a ten inch point at the top. When it hit a soldier it would bend so it wouldn't be able to be thrown again.  And in my saccus (kit  bag) I have sixty pounds of tools, kettle, food and building tools.  And by my side i have my gladius(sword) which is two feet long and the handle is made of  bone. 

The Celts  uniform has not as much protection as us Romans.  There is a helmet  that's made up of leather and metal, a sheild that protects the whole body, clothing that is colorful and if you could afford armour you would have it underneath your clothing. Your boots would be made of leather and for a weapon you would have a spiral point at the end of the spear. Around your neck would be a toric thats made of gold.

As were were approaching the Celts I could see their beards on their faces and their bright clothing coming towards us. I was scared, but ready for battle. I could see the fear in their eyes as we got closer and closer. I struck my sword in a Celts arm and I heard the loud shreak from his hairy face. I thought to myself that I am ready, I am ready.The screams got queiter as the battle ended. The all of a sudden I felt a sharp pain coming from my shoulder-blade. I had been hit by one of those, Celts.The last thing that I saw was the face of a red bearded, bright clothed, Celt.

My name is Lillie Galea and I was a roman solider. I fought in the war against the Celts. These people were very different then us in many ways. They mostly had different clothing then us and equipment then us. Now these Celts were very strong for a city, but I never thought that they could be so willing to fight us for their land. While we were fighting these wars, I began to notice all the different things about the Celts. The thing that really stood out from all their clothing was their torc. It was made out of copper or bronze, just like jewelry. Another thing was both of our faces. While our general kept all of us keep our faces clean, these Celts had a full grown beard and moustaches. But luckily for us Romans, they did happen to shave once in a while. I did notice that their helmet was different too. While ours was strong metal with lined fur underneath, the Celts were made of simple leather and metal. But these Celts also had elaborate carvings in their helmets. The designs ranged from birds to beasts. The last thing about their clothing was their shoes. While theirs was made of just plain leather open-toed shoes, ours was made from cow-hide, open-toed, with studded nails all around the the shoe to keep it together. Unlucky for us though the nails would always fall out usually every day. Now during this war, these Celts had different weaponry then us too. Us Romans had a two-foot sword hanging from our waist for easy access. We also had a spear with a ten inch point. These were special because when we hit the Celts shields, our spears stuck in and bent. Now you might think why we had did that. When the spear bent like that, it got stuck in the Celts shield and it was then unusable for them to throw it back. Now these Celts had weapons too. It was a long sword with a slashing and cutting blade. They also had a spear with a spiral at the top so that it could made a deep and deadly wound in us Romans. Now fighting in this war was indeed very punishable for us Romans and the Celts with all the sicknesses and the allies that we sent to make peace, but it seemed to me that these Celts were like us in many ways. They had our strength, similar clothing and weaponry, and courage. Sadly though, we really didn't get along with most of them. But luckily I survived this war and now you too can see what life was like for me and all the others in this war.

A Few Days in the Life of A Celtic Soldier

I, Amon Driscol, looked down at my feet, my new leather shoes were supposed to protect my feet from getting hurt, but instead caused the soles of my feet pain and aching. I felt the familiar voice of my Celtic Army leader whispering quietly in my ear.

“Use your weapons for slashing and cutting off the heads of those Romans,” he explained bitterly, “and use your long, iron-headed, spear to stab them. They must be destroyed.” I glanced toward the other men in our army, to see if they'd heard anything, but no one had seemed to notice. I trudged on, looking around at my surroundings. You see, my army of Celtic men is invading a Roman city a mere 50 miles north of our village. The remembrance of my beautiful village brought sweet memories to my mind. I missed my two-floored house, the smell of my wife's cooking wafting throughout the rooms. I even missed the workshops, where I as a blacksmith worked long shifts. But I was in a different place now, almost at the unfamiliar Roman Fort, lurking just several miles ahead.

"Glance to my right, spin my head to the left, turn around, look forward again. If any Romans in sight, throw spear. If any Romans near, slash with weapons." The fearful command repeated in my head as I headed toward the Fort. Fear came all over me, shaking me up inside. I kept on reaching up above my head, checking to make sure my metal and leather helmet was on tight. Even though we only wear them to make ourselves seem taller and fiercer, I still feel safer knowing it's ever so slightly protecting my head. Closer and closer we approached the Fort, my mind racing with excitement and fear. As I looked around at the roman fort, I saw how beautiful it truly was, did I really have to destroy it? I knew I had to. My army leader took us into one of the baths searching for some Romans to surprise attack, but no one was there. Oh, the baths were so beautiful! They had under-the-floor furnaces for heating the baths, and they were made of stone! I immediately became jealous of the Romans and their architect. Next we went to the Head quarters, but the officers of the legion who worked there must have seen us coming. All of a sudden I felt this tremendous pain in my left shoulder. I whipped my head around to see a Roman gladius, or sword, sticking out of my shoulder. A rush of pain spread throughout my body, causing me to fall to the ground. I caught one last glimpse of my army leader being stabbed right in the stomach, then collapsing to the ground in agony.

"Take him to the Commander's quarters. Our leader will know what to do with him. Maybe he'll make him a servant!" A Roman soldier told another soldier. I checked my shoulder to see if anything had been severely damaged. But the gladius had been removed. I lifted up my head to take a look around. I saw the barracks where the men slept to my right, and the workshops where the skilled craftsmen worked to my left. The head quarters were directly in front of me, so the Commander's quarters must have been coming up soon. I surely do not want to have to work for the Roman leader in his quarters, but if I want to survive and have any chance to see my family again, I just might have to. As we approached the Commander's quarters I saw the bloody remains of the Celtic soldiers battle. Many questions ran through my mind as we came nearer to my doom. Was I the only Celtic to survive? What if the leader had me killed? What was I going to have to do? I was so scared I thought I'd have a panic attack right here, in front of two Romans holding on to my hands and feet. We arrived at our destination, and the Romans brought me up to where the leader slept. I'd never realized it, but the Commander's quarters were so amazing! It had its own kitchens, baths, and underground heating! Up more steps we reached the bedroom.

"What is this?" Asked the annoyed Roman leader. "For the last time men, I don't need anymore servants! Let him go back to his Celtic Village." As I left the beautiful Roman Fort, I saw a dead Roman soldier lying on the ground of the battle sight. I could't help but notice that every single piece of his uniform was intact. And I was tired of wearing the scratchy woollen tunics and clothing. Plus, my torc made of copper and bronze was getting a bit too tight. I decided to take the Roman's shield which would protect my whole body, his cassis, or helmet, which really protected his head., and his dagger which would be very useful if I lost my sword in battle. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

As I trudge along the empty forest, alone and afraid, the painful memory of my leader being stabbed with a Roman dagger runs through my brain. A familiar chill makes its way down my spine. After three days of traveling along in the woods without food, I round the corner and approach my village. I feel so proud knowing I've tried to protect my Celtic Village, even though I didn't win, I am still proud.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 01:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 67

Greetings, my name is Trumanicus Cavalaricus and I am a Roman soldier. I will tell you about my life as a soldier and speak to you about how my people differ from the Celtic citizens.

I used to be in the poor Roman class until I joined the army. The pay is good, I get fed and I get to be a solder for 25 years if I last that long. The only downside was that I can't marry because I live in the barracks with other solders.  A lot of times I got to go and make deals and trade with the Celts. I noticed that they all lived together with their relatives and family.

One difference that I noticed was how they built their villages. They were much more simple than ours when it came to housing and protection. For example, the Celtic people made their houses out of mud and hay surrounded by a ditch to protect themselves from enemies. They used the materials that they had on the plains. My people made our houses out of stone and cut wood because we had the resources to make them that way. Our rectangular vallumes, or walls, were also made out of high piled stone and had a built-in look out tower attached to them. Although our forts were harder to build, they were stronger and their layouts were more organized.

Another difference between our civilizations was how we dressed for war. The armor that we Romans wore was more armored and protective. We would each be equipped with a pilum, which is a long spear, a shield and a supplies bag. Our supply bag consisted of tools, food and other belongings. We also had chest, stomach and helmet armor. As for the Celtic people, they only had a spear, shield and layers of cloth for protection. Another advantage that we have is how we live in our forts. Instead of having solders sleeping together with regular families like the Celts, we have built a series of houses called barracks which were specially made for solders. If you look at how we both prepare for the army, not all of the advantages go to us. Lugging around all our heavy armor and suplies can really take a toll and weaken us when we are finally ready to fight. The Celtic people travel much lighter which saves them a lot of energy.

The last thought that I thought that I had was a big comparison between each of our civilizations infrastructure. Clearly, my Roman people were more advanced when it came to plumbing and transportation. When we Romans wash ourselves, we use man made baths that are heated. This heated system works by a furnace which burns wood. This heat creates steam which heats the bath. Another one of our advancements was our road systems and transportation. All of our Roman forts were connected by a series of roads. We got around on these roads by riding chariots or a wagon like vehicle that is pulled by two horses. The Celtic people did not have lots of these things. They did not build baths but instead washed themselves with a bucket of water or find a water source to bathe in. They did not have roads connected to their villages either because their layout plans were not as organized or they did not need them because they didn't have any wheeled vehicles.

This is my 15th year as a Roman solder, and over those 15 years I have watched and learned how the Celtic people live and work together as a civilization. As I've been talking to you about our differences compared to the Celts, you can clearly see that we are more organized and technologically advanced. Just because we have these advances doesn't always mean we are the best. The Celtic people, including solders, do lots of work themselves without the help of slaves. This could make them more fit and able to stand up better in a war with us. Each of our civilizations have our advantages and disadvantages, but if you look at the quality of the Roman people, they come out on top of the Celtic people.

When I woke up this smorning I had some trouble putting on all of my armor because today we fight the Celts. My scutum, or sheild was dented from the last war I fought in. My Lorica wasn't fitting right because it was a little too tight. I was very happy with my helmet because it had protected me in every battle yet. My spatha was just sharpened so it will be very easy to use in battle. But before I put on all my armour I went to the bath and talked with some other soldiers that I was close to. The baths were very warm because the furnace was going. I didn't want to leave because I was so warm and comfortable. After I was done with the baths, I went to the commanders quarters to see when we were leaving for battle. I needed to say good by to my family, so I headed off to the barrocks where they sleep. I feel good that Im prepared for battle, but Im nervouse to see who will win the battle and I dont want to die because I two sons and a wife. I think that we will win because the celts helmet only is leather and sometimes week metle. They only look big because they wear figures of horned beasts. I do fear there weapens like the spear because they have a special spiral tip that can go far into the enemy. It can be hard to strike them because they have a sheild that covers their whole body. When we invaded them a while ago their town doesn't seem too impressive because they only have a few houses and only one workshop. They hardly have anything else. I'm pretty confident that we will win like we always do because we are much more advanced. I have a pair shoes which makes it much easier, but i that they have boots made out of leather. No matter what, we will still dominate this battle and win once again!

Hello, my name is Julius Sagum. It is the year 103 A.D.  I am living in my home in Rome, with most of my family. My grandchildren have asked me to write down an account of my younger days and my adventures in the conquest of the Caledonians in Gaul. When we were there, I was a legionnaire in an army made up of thousands of men, led by none other than Julius Caesar. He was a great politician, and I was sad to see him go when he was murdered by the Senate. But that’s Roman politics for you. Anyway, I’ll talk more about the Roman army and its conquest of the Caledonians.

In our conquest, our army marched all the way to Gaul. The people that told Caesar to bring this army here thought we were goners, but boy, did we show them. We dominated in almost every battle we had. But they were not what I expected. They fought very differently than us, with long spears with spiral points to gouge a deeper wound, and a long wood and leather shield. They used a long sword for slashing, but it was no match for our short gladius sword, which we could use up close for slashing and cutting. They also had a peculiar habit: they wore jewelry into battle. They had a torc around their necks, and some of their helmets featured elaborate pictures of animals on the tops, so as to intimidate us. But it obviously didn’t work, because we took over that territory and controlled it. We set up forts, where we slept in barracks of twenty rooms with four people to a room, each with our own bunk. We cooked and gambled in two common rooms. We actually had a bath house, with a cold, warm, and hot bath, with a furnace. The Caledonians didn’t take bathing seriously, which I think is unusual. But they are unusual people. Anyway, when we were controlling them, different groups acted differently. Some rebelled or fled, whereas most others gave themselves under our rule. Things were going nicely until during one battle a Caledonian threw a spear and it hit me in the thigh. I lived, but could not walk correctly anymore and thus could not serve in the army, and was dispatched. Since then, I didn’t pay as much attention to what was happening there. Besides, the news was mostly the same, with the new cities being built and the rich people with their townhouses and luxury estates. I’m much happier here in Rome anyway.

Hopefully this is interesting for my grandchildren to read, and will give them a better picture of what it was like to be a Roman legionnaire. I am interested to hear what they have to say about my account. I have made it as accurate as is possible from my point of view, and hope that it serves its purpose to inform my grandchildren. Maybe later it will help their children learn about the Caledonians, and the next generation as well. Until then, I am glad to know that you have learned about my adventures in the Roman army.

Hey! My name is Anton Xaer and I am part of the Roman cavalry. We just invaded and took a Celtic village! There are so many divers things here. The buildings are different, the things inside them are different, the people who lived here are different. Now, I am going to tell you just how these things differ from home sweet home!

In Caledonia the people live in 2 story huts, the animals were on the bottom and the people on top. The roof is made of thatch ( It is a better material then you would think) and the walls of timber and/or stone. That is much different than are rectangular one-story barracks. We have wood roofs and wood walls. In the village there is a workshop where they kept and made all of their tools. So do we! Another large thing different is are cloths/armor. You can see the Celts coming from a kilometer away. They wear bright colored clothing, even in the battle field! While we are wearing metal armor that protects us, they are wearing this bright clothes and not much armor if any! They wear these thick metal necklace things called torcs all the time, even in their graves! I think there kinda cool looking though.

Theses people are primitive compared to us. We have stone and this new thing call concrete and aqueducts and other stuff. They don't really have much of that and some none at all. But we are not perfect. We are constantly fighting other people and lately ourselves. These people have more peaceful lives (until we came).

We are a well trained, well equipped large, professional army and we win battle after battle against them but we can never can fully conquer them. Not that I really mind. I would much rather be back home eating better food and out of this cold, misty place. I think that with Hadrian's Wall up we will be just fine and can go home. Its not like the Celts are a threat to the empire or anything. Well, I should probably get some shut eye now because we are marching tommorow. Again. Night!

"Hey Nero, when are you going to be done setting up the barracks?" Regulus yelled. The Romans and the Celts have things in common but also have a lot in common things. For example, The roman soldier has a square shield were as the Celts had a oval shaped Shield. What we have in common is we both wore leather shoes which helped us run across rough footing.

Our camps have about 10 buildings. There are workshops for skilled workers like blacksmiths or craftsman. Then there are the head quarters which is were the officers worked and met and this building had the most important water clock. The commanders quarters is were the families and the servants lived. If you were in the upper class where i live, you have a stable or garden attached to the center of the fort. The bathhouse was for the entire roman camp. In this bathhouse it had public toilets and cold tubs for everyone and yes, the upper and lower class shared the entire facility.Where as the Celts village had a house and workshop. The houses are round and have pointy roofs. The houses also have two floors and was divided into smaller rooms. The workshops is were the blacksmiths make the weapons with metal for the army.

The Roman soldier wheres different clothing than the Celtic soldier. The roman soldier has a square shield made of wood. The shield is about 4 feet long and 3 feet wide. The shield protects our legs so we don't have to use shin-guards or greaves. We also wear a breastplate that protects our back and chest. Our helmets are bronze and iron underneath. They are lined with fur to make it easier for us the out on. Our swords are short. Two feet to be exact. The blade is a about two inches wide. The Celts didn't have body armour like us Romans, they wear bright colors. Their shield is round and long which protects their whole body. Instead of having a knife, they have a sphere which is easier because they don't have to get so close to the other person when fighting. Lastly, their helmet is made out of metal and leather. The leather makes it softer to wear.

Even though i have named you all these differences between us the Romans and the Celtics, They have things in-common too. Like wearing shoes to protect our feet while running on rocky surfaces and also wearing helmets and having workshops for the blacksmith to work in. But our differences make us all unique. "I finished setting up the barracks Regulus." "Okay,great Nero I will be over in a minute" Well, it looks like i better get ready for battle. Now again don't forget that even though we have many differences, we both have some things in-common.

I am Betto, a brave Roman warrior. I fight in victories all across Europe, conquering empires every where I go with my fellow soldiers. Its rough life, and the winters are cold. Luckily, my men and I are well equipped. With our thick armor and our strong boots, we are unstoppable. As we tear through the battle field, fear is no object. The last war we won, was the war the Celtics.

My armor is very important when I am fighting in a war. The most important part of my armor (lortica) set is the breastplate along with my helmet. My breastplate is worn over my leather jacket, and my helmet (cassis) is made of bronze or iron and lined with cloth. I also carry a shield (scutum) made of wood that measures 4 feet long and 3 feet wide, long enough to cover and protect my legs. The weapons I carry are very important to my fighting abilities. My weapons include a spear and a sword. The spears (pilums) my fellow soldiers and I carry has a leaf shaped head and the head of it measures around 10 inches, not including the wooden base. Our swords (gladuis) are 2 feet long with a blade 2 inches wide with a handle of bone. Luckily, our army has wonderful boots (caligae). This is a very large advantage because many times we're fighting on rough terrain. Its also good to have them in the winter, because the cold ground stings our feet very much. Another thing that is helpful in the cold is the cloaks we wear. My cloak (sagum) is a thick wool to keep me warm all night long. We have a lot of luggage to carry. This includes equipment to built tents, make food, and other items to help me and my fellow troops survive. We carry these in a Kit Bag (saccus). This is made of leather and can carry the 60 pound we have to lug around.

The Celtic army however, uses the unnecessary, like a torc around their neck, or paint on their faces. Their torcs were made of gold to show off their gold work. Their sandals are made of thin leather, unlike our boots that help us through all terrain and weather, their feet are easily stabbed and slit or stepped on. Although their shield covers their entire body and is made of fine wood, then covered with leather. This is very effective and seem to protect them rather well. I can also give them partial credit for their weapons. Their swords were long and were used for their methods of slashing, or cutting. and their spears were long with a spiral head to make unbelievably deep marks in our men. I will admit that their weapons were more advanced, but i can't imagine how long it took to think of their lay out. Their helmets are rather large, and they arent half as nice as our hats. The Celts were very unsuccessful in war with us Romans, one reason is their lack of armor. they wore heavy clothing to protect their flesh, but our iron set of armor is no match for their spears or swords, and their clothing is easily defeated by our strong spears.

I am walking up the trail, and my kit bag seems surprisingly light. My sword is fastened to my belt and with my spear in my right hand, I march on bravely to our next battle, which will become a victory, to become a new Roman city. The thrill this over coming me as we get closer, and closer to the next battle. I have no fear. We will win this victory, weather I live or not.

Greetings! My name is not important, but I'm a Caledonian. I help tend to a flock of sheep for my family. I was young when we conflicted with the Romans. I remember the first day the Romans attacked my village. It was a rather sunny morning, and I woke up to let the flock out to graze. Mother was weaving on her loom. She didn't notice me go down the ladder, she was so intent on finishing. I descended down to the sleeping sheep on the first floor. We Caledonians live in houses with two floors. On the top floor, our families sleep, eat, and do their work. At night, we let our animals in to sleep safely downstairs, as well as store our tools. I began to yell at the sheep, and they slowly came out of their slumber. I opened the door, and they stumbled into the village. I managed to get them into the fields without waking too many people. The air was freezing! As I let the flock graze, I sat down on a rock and looked at my village. I could see my hut easily. It had a very steep roof, while the actual hut was round. Nearby, I could see the grain pits. We stored food and other things in there for later use. I could also see the smoke coming out of the blacksmith's workshop. More people had started waking up now, I could see some of the men outside in soldier's uniforms. The Romans must be becoming a large threat if soldiers are in our village!

Ugh! Those Romans! We've heard a lot about their culture from rather peaceful trading Romans. They love to fight. You'd think that they didn't know anything but how to cut some guy's head off in a dozen fancy ways! I find it funny that, amognst all this gore and bloodshead, they love to take baths. Ha! Aparently, they have three types of baths in their camps, all under one building called a bathhouse, or balneae. There's a cold bath, then a warm bath, and finally a hot bath. I've heard that they heat the water by putting a furnace under each bath, and it warms the water. Now, I do have to say, that's pretty impressive. Not that I'd want the luxury of taking a bath. Who needs them? My family only cleans off once in a while. The Romans are obsessed with it! As if baths were bad enough, they even have fancy bathrooms! I cannot believe that they sit together and have a social time while they use a thing called a "toliet"! If that isn't enough to make you vomit, they all use the same sponge to clean up! I'm sorry, I must change the topic. Another building in their camps are the commander's quarters. I cannot believe that the commander has servants, while the soldiers have simple bread-making tools and suffer in the cold! Even the commander's family stays with him! Our villages don't have a leader's house, but, then again, I've never been to a Celtic war camp. But I am jelous of their craftsmen! They have blacksmiths, masons, leather makers and people who even make armor for their horses! I am just used to having a blacksmith, with the smoke rising out of their small workhouse. I would never be able to stand being a Roman!

I must have dozed off a little bit, but the sheep started wailing and began to move away from me and the village. I couldn't figure out what was going on, the sheep never acted like that unless something was scaring them. My attention drew back to the village as I heard someone scream. Instantly, I knew something was wrong. I whipped around to see something on the horizon, past the village. The Romans? Surely they wouldn't attack such a quaint village! But my worry turned to dread as they grew bigger, marched closer. Eventually, I could see the glint of the sun on their spears. At the same moment, Caledonian soldiers began to assemble outside of the village walls. They were equipped with a spear as well, but they pulled their swords out of their sheaths and yelled. I could see the differences in their helmets- some were weak, just leather and metal, but a couple of them had larger, more intimidating ones shaped like animals. Their dull sheild contrasted with the bright clothing they wore. The shield protected their entire body, most of them were made of wood, but I noticed a few that were stronger Roman shields. They must have stolen them in another raid. They were more square than the round Caledonian ones, and had round iron stub in the middle, useful for deflecting blows. I felt confident of our soldiers, until I saw the Romans.

The Romans used to trade peacefully with us, but that was many years ago. I remember one soldier talking to a younger one, who must be new at fighting. I evesdropped and learned about their weopons. I remembered their spear, or javelin, if I remember correctly. It was built to bend as it found its target, so it was for one-time useage. They also had a short sword called a gladius, much like the Caledonians'. One thing that the Caledonians didn't have was a storage bag called a saccus. The older Roman soldier had some tools in it, I saw a bowl that would be useful for grinding up corn to make flour and bread. They also had boots, or caligae. I saw the bottom of one, it was studded with nails. Nails were rare around here, and I remember checking the ground for them after the Romans left. The biggest advantage the Roman soldiers had over our Caledonians were armor and their helmets. A big chest plate covered the soldiers' weak spots, I believe they referred to it as a lorica, which also covered their back. Their helmets had a type of disc in the back that jutted outward, protecting their necks from any blows. That's useful in battle. The two fighting groups approached each other, and the fighting broke out. The Romans charged forward, and many threw their spears. The Caledonians held up their sheilds, trying to protect themselves. The spears found their targets, but many bent when they hit the shields and damaged them. The Caledonians met the Romans head on, and the real fighting broke out. After hearing screeches of pain and seeing some soldier get his head cut off, I ran for the hills. I found a boulder to hide behind and waited the battle out. I left the sheep behind, they are no worth to us if the Romans conquer us, which I am sure they will. Night fell, and the fighting began to slow. I dared myself to look at the damage. I saw hundreds of dead soldiers, some were Romans, but most were my own people. The Romans were entering the village now. They killed many men, but took all of the girls and women. I cannot bring myself to describe what they actually did. I fled when they came closer. They would probably take the sheep for their own. But that didn't matter now.

I remember running well into night, resting every so often. Eventually, I saw smoke in the distance, and I knew I was near some camp or village. I realized that it was a Caledonian village after I saw the grain pit inbetween the houses. I made a life for myself there. I bought a lamb and made a flock to live off of. They prospered, and I was able to build a two story home, like the one I used to have. The Romans never appeared again. Everyone wondered what had happened to them, until a passerby one day informed us that they had retreated to their homeland. The Romans were not able to conquer us! This was an excellent feat- the Romans were the best army and had lost very few battles! I was happy about this, but I still missed my family. I later learned that they either murdered all the villagers or took them in as slaves. I grew old in that village, and I was happy to see Rome fail to conquer my land.

An Autobiography of Optimus Prime, and his Experiences as an Officer in the Roman Army

My name is Optimus Prime and I was an officer in the Roman army. I fought in the battles between the Celts and the Romans, and this is an account of my experiences when we invaded Scotland.

I lived in a Roman fort with my fellow officers and soldiers, along with the commander and his family, who lived with him in the Praetorium, or the Commander's Quarters. My family couldn't live with me inside the fort, they had to live outside in the village, along with all the other soldiers' families. Other buildings inside the fort, besides the Praetorium, was the balnae, or baths, the centuriae, or barracks, the fabricae, or workshops, the campus, or parade ground, and the principia, or the head quarters. The centuriae was the sleeping quarters for us soldiers, and each building was about 50 meters long and 10 meters wide. When I woke up each morning I would head over to the campus for weapon training and marching drills. The other officers and I made the soldiers practice different formations, my favorite being the "tortoise". The tortoise was a formation where the soldiers would march in a line with their shields out to block enemy missiles. After training, we would go to the Principia, the most important building in the fort. The principia was run by the officers in the legion. This was where the soldiers would swear an oath of allegiance to the emporer, punishments would be carried out, and where weapons would be stored. In the afternoon, I would go to the balnae for a nice soak in the baths. I bathed in a cold bath, then a warm, bath then a hot bath, because we Romans believe that that is healthy and good for you. Afterwards I would usually dry off in the sauna. Another important part of the fort that I didn't often go to were the fabricae, or the workshops. This was were the craftsmen worked. One workshop was where meat was kept and supplied. Another was where the blacksmiths made nails, armour, and helmets. Another workshop was used by masons, plumbers, carpenters, and roof-tile makers. And the Praetorium, which I already talked about was just a living quarters for the commander. Surrounding the fort was a 3 meter high wall made of carefully cut blocks of turf. The fort had four gates, and was a rectangular shape.

The first skirmish I was in with the Celts was when we were moving out of our fort for the spring campaign. We had been marching along for a few days when we spotted the smoke in the distance. As we got closer I got my first look at a Celtic fort. The first impression I got was how primitive the fort was compared to ours. It was basically a big circle with unimpressive walls. Inside was an unorganized looking jumble of huts with thatched roofs, and I realized that this was a fort-village. We snuck up to the gate, took out the guards and then raided the fort, looting what was useful to us, burning the rest. The Celtic soldiers wore woolen tunics and simple helmets made of metal and leather along with a large shield made of wood covered in leather. We wore a sagum, or long woolen cloaks and a cassiss, or a bronze helmet with an iron cap underneath. The officers would wear red cloaks so we stood out in battle. As for weapons, the Celts had a long sword for cutting and slashing, as well as long spears with spiral points used for making deep wounds. Us Roman soldiers had a pilum, or throwing spear, and a gladius, or a short, wide, double-edged sword. The battle only lasted a few hours. By the end of it, we were surrounded by a mass of dead bodies, and we ourselves had only lost 12. We took a few survivors as hostages. Another impression that the layout of the Celtic fort gave me was that they were a bit disorganized. Our fort had a strict layout, whereas their's was more random. If the layout of their fort was disorganized, then I figured that their army wasn't very organized either. That was a useful piece of information. This battle left me feeling a lot more confident then I was before.

After the battle we continued on until night fell and then set up camp. The next few weeks were uneventful, stumbling upon a Celtic fort-village here and there, but other than that nothing major. One time we picked up a barrel of the Celtic ale to try. It was disgusting, like drinking water thats been in a jar of mud for a week. About a half a second after everyone took a sip, you could hear a symphony of hundreds soldiers spraying their beer all over each other. It was rather comical, we Romans definitely prefer our good old wine. In the next month we had a huge battle with the Celts, which we eventually won, but we lost about half of our century. This forced us to return to our fort a little bit prematurely, until reinforcements arrived. After that we went through another winter living in the fort and then were called back home to Rome.

So, that is a short summary of what life was like an Roman officer during the time we invaded Scotland.

In the day of the Romans and Celts there are similarities and differences between them both with changes throughout the centuries. There have also been new tools and terms to learn about the history.

Some of the differences between the romans and celts were the amour and clothing, for the romans it was the cloak, and kit bag also known as Saccus and Caligae. Also for the Celts it was the torc, clothing and faces. The tools of the romans made them known to be more advanced with the more protected and armored soldiers. While for the Celts they were a less protected army with very different stiles, like their painted faces to with bright colored cloths. They also have different stiles of how they protect politically and army wise that was low armed. Another thing that had similar and different aspects was how they set up their villages. With different organization and their different buildings, tools, and advanced skills used to help their village. The Romans had more of an organized village with square boundaries with protected towers and ditches at the gates. They also had toilets, and tools that helped in their growth. The Celts had more of a circle boundaries with not as much protection and what made them special were their cemeteries where old soldiers were buried. The differences and similarities with their tools, terms and technique   made the Romans and Celts known for certain things that have changed and helped our day today for the better and worse.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 02:02 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 42

Hello to you, my name is Noah Shrasuas, I am a Roman foot soldier, my legionary is heading to the Celtic area to contain the recent uprising of the Celtic people. I only hope that the blood shed will be little to nothing but what can you expect from the Romans obviously not a clean containment order. I do feel bad for these people though they have an underdeveloped civilization, their houses are mere huts mud clumps with straw no drain system either, compared to our highly developed houses with drain systems and running fresh water they are primitive. I felt bad that these people were most likely going to get killed or enslaved. I had great sympathy for these poor people, their clothing was undyed and most likely uncomfortable their shoes were warm but wasted away soon with this terrain. Our shoes and nails on the bottom of them. On our raid of a Celtic village i saw what their blacksmiths were working in and with and it made our workshops and blacksmiths look like they were gods in the art. They didn't even have a bath house, and no underground heating or drain systems to flush away the daily waste, i felt sorry for them because they were just getting by, but compare us to them and we are living in sweet luxury they didn't even have a set up and well rounded government that had laws, they had a lot to learn but unfortunately if they ever decided to mess with the Romans some would be killed and most others would be captured and sold as slaves or flee. Well i must be going now, i need a good sleep for tomorrow and only hope these poor people can cooperate well.

Life As a Roman Soldier

Hello my name is Adrian. I am a roman soldier who fights with the most powerful disciplined army. I am proud to be a soldier and fight for Rome. Through my life as a soldier you will learn what i wore and where i lived. You will read about the difficulties of my life, from almost dying in war to my basic training and exercises. In this essay I will also compare and contrast the life of a Roman Soldier versus a Celtic Warrior.

We are full time soldiers who are well fed, trained, and paid. My life is very structured and gets hard, but i will never retreat. When me and my fellow soldiers fight, our armor is strictly metal. We use solid strips of metal to plate our jackets. In many ways our armor is better then the celtic warrior gear because they use wood for shields versus a more solid stronger metal to protect the entire chest. We also wore a cloak draped in red and brown, forever live in rome. The soldiers in the army with me use two foot long swords accompanied by a shield make of metal and wood. With our metal and fur helmets strapped on and our shoes on our feet, we march onto triumph.

A typical roman fort is a very extravagant thing with many strenuous daily activities. A roman soldiers life is completely planned out. All around the fort is parade grounds for many activities such as marching drills and weapon training. Inside are commanders quarters which is a house where the commanders family and servants lived but only for the fall and winter, baths which is where the soldiers and people living in the fort would wash up and go to the bathroom, head quarters which officers of legion worked and where weapons were stored, barracks which is sleeping quarters that usually held 20 people one building that also had rooms for separate cooking and lounging. and last but not least the workshops where blacksmiths, butchers, carpenters, workers and roof makers worked

Even though my life is difficult and exhausting, it is also very rewarding. I'm a professional fighter who has no fear. Tomorrow we march to another battle. I shall hold my head up high and have pride in my heart because even if i die in battle, I'll forever live through Rome.

"Grampa, tell us about when you were a soldier in the war," Pippo requested. My name is Decimus. I was a sodier in the Roman army. I was also a skilled blacksmith. While I was serving in the army i also supported our soldiers with new weapons that the blacksmiths made. I served for 5 years. Every soldier has to serve for 20 years but i am retired now. I have been retired for 3 years now. I enjoy telling my grandchildren the stories of when i was a soldier in the army. My favorite story to tell was when we found a spy in our camp. The story goes like this.

We had just arrived in Melrose, Scotland. We were setting up our fort. We were setting up our barracks or the buildings where we sleep. We were putting our belongings in one of our two common rooms were we cooked, gambled, polished our kits and kept our belongings. We had barely been there an hour when we heard someone screamed, "Spy. He's a spy!" By the time we got to where the scream came from other soldiers already had the spy captured. Apparently he had fallen in the ditches we dug ourside the walls of our fort so intruders couldn't get in. Nobody reconized him as a soldier in our century so we had 2 soldiers run to the commanders quarters to get our centurion or our commander while we tied the spy up. We looked through his belongings while we waiting for our centurion. He was wearing a helmet made out of metal and covered in leather and had a horned beast on his hemlet. I figured he wore it to make himself look taller and fiercer but he was at least a whole head shorter than most of our warriors. We all wore bronze helmets with a skull cap of iron underneath that was lined with fur to make it more comfortable. We laughed at the spy's jewelery or as he called it a "torc". It was a copper necklace that was coiled like a snake. We would never wear jewelery. He was wearing a bright dyed wollen tunic . Our tunics were very much alike, but ours went down to our knees. They also wore wollen trousers called bracae or breeches. He wore a bright, checkered cloak that was fastened around his neck. He had dyed his bright yellow but we didn't dye ours so it would staywaterproof and warm. We later learned that only the rich wore undergarments and women wore sleeveless linen blouses dyed purple. The Celtic warrior also wore leather boots that kept their feet warm because it was very cold here in Scotland. The boots we wore were leather but we also wore fur socks for warmth and comfort. His shield was a joke to us. His was made of wood and covered in leather where as ours was made our of strips of wood with an iron rim that had a iron boss in the middle to protect from stones or missiles. Their shields were designed with wild beasts on them. They had also stolen our ideas of weapons, but the only weapon he was carrying was a long sword used for slashing and cutting and a spear with a spiral pointed iron head for creating deep wounds. He also had a slingshot. We carried a hasta or a spear and a two foot long sword. The advantage of our spear was that when it hit something hard it would bend so it was useless to the enemy and we could throw it and kill someone from 90 feet away. A headless spear was given to a brave warrior in honor after a battle. Our sword was 2 feet long and 2 inches wide and was double edged with a sharp point. They were used to thrust and stab. The handle was made of bone and we kept them in a leather pouch. The warrior didn't wear body armor as where we did. Our armor protected our chest and back and it was made our of metal plates and strips so we could move easier. The Celtic warrior did not carry anything else. We carry a kit bag because we had to bring our own food for three days. We carried a bronze tin food box, a kettle, a hand mill and building tools. We were nicknamed mules because we carried so much with us. Once our centurion got to us he told us all to return to our barracks and go to sleep. We all did what we were told but none of us slept. We sat in our beds and wondered what had happened to him. He obviously wasn't a Roman but a Celtic soldier. We all knew that if he was trying to blend in he would have done a better job of disguising himself. After a while two other soldiers and I snuck out to see what happened to him. If our centurion found out we had snuck out knew we would be in trouble but our curiosity got the better of us. We snuck over to the head quarters. We figured they brought him there because that was where we kept our weapons. Once we go to the window we ducked and listened. All we heard was mumbling. We couldn't quite make out much, but what we did hear didn't tell us anything. Just as we were about to go back to our barracks we heard screaming. The man let out a blood-curtling scream so loud the entire fort must have heard it. After that we went back to our camps wothout a second thought. We had all assumed that they tortured him to find out what he knew, what he was doing there and what he knew about us. Nobody wanted to see the man tortured so we left.

No one ever actually found out what happened to him. We had asked our centurion but he never really gave us a straight answer. We all thought he was dead but had no proof. Soon after we went back to our normal routine. Waking up at the brink of dawn. Training and working until the sun went down. Going to the bathhouse or gambling in the common room then going to bed. Same routine every day with no change. Out of sight really does mean out of mind because nobody saw him so nobody found a reason to talk about it.

"Grampa, tell us the story when you were injured in the war!" Pippo demanded. "Oh, that is a story for another day. I think it's bedtime for you my grandson," I replied. I picked Pippo and his sister Tullia and tucked them in bed. "Goodnight my precious grandchildren," I whispered. That is one of my stories. A spy was captured because of the way we built our fort and was then captured and never seen again. Every night i still wonder what happened to him. I guess we will never know.

ARLO

Red 7W

2/16/10

SS Romans in Scotland

My name is Logianumphricus Adamiaus. I am a roman foot soldier. My general is Julius Caesar. His army conquered almost all of what is now France. I fight in the auxilia, which fights in front of the infantry. At this point we’re at war with the Celts. They are very much like us.

The Celts and Romans are very unique. We both have spears, but ours can only be used once, yet the Celts spears are made to make a deep wound in their enemy and are used more than once. The Romans had a kit bag that had tools, food rations, a mess tin, and a kettle. The Celts didn’t have kit bags. We also use shield and helmet. Our Helmets cover our ears and were made of bronze. The Celts helmets are made of leather and don’t cover their ears. Their shields are made to cover their whole body, as are ours. Our shields are made of long strips of wood pressed together with glue from boiled cattle skins, while the Celts’ shields are just a piece of wood covered in leather. Our swords are about two feet long and used for stabbing. On the other hand the Celts had long swords used for slashing and cutting. Unlike us the Celts painted their faces for battle. I don’t think the Celts were very smart because they didn’t wear armor. Our villages consisted of Barracks, Workshops, a bath house, Head Quarters, and the Captains Quarters surrounded by walls and trenches. The Celts’ consisted of houses and workshops surrounded by a wall. As you can see our villages are very different. I live temporarily in the barracks; they are long buildings that have about twenty rooms. Head Quarters is where Legion Officers met to discuss strategies and other things. It was also where soldiers twice a year swore an oath to the emperor. The Bath House is where everyone bathed, did their “Business,” and where they got massages. The Commander’s Quarters are where the commander and his family lived. It had its own baths and kitchen. The workshops were where weapons and tools were made. The Celts’ workshops were where tools and weapons were made. The houses were where everyone lived. We Romans and the Celts are very different yet similar at the same time.

As you can see us Romans are much more civilized then the Celts and it shows. We defeated them because of this. We have really gained a lot of territory in this battle. I have learned a lot in this experience. Long Live Rome!

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 03:57 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 52

My name is Yease, I am a Celtic arriving back to my family and home after witnessing a long and cold battle against Rome.  I live in a Celtic village with my family.  When I was a young girl, the Romans invaded my territory and my father was killed.  I grew up with my mom and one sister, Teave.  The Romans were very powerful and scary to watch.  I am now seeking revenge on the Romans for killing my father and destroying our territory, and now I want them to go through what I had to.

I am going to give you a little knowledge on the Celtics and the Romans.  As witnessing the battles, I have glanced at the armor that they each wear.  The metal and leather helmets would act as a half mask to the Celts for use of protection.  As for the Romans, it was sealed with a iron cap underneath the bronze helmet, and lined with fur and cloth for a nice fit.  The helmets were useful in the wars for protection if you got striked in the head with a weapon.  Both also used shields.  For the Romans, it was made by strips of wood, and the Celts had their shields out of metal.  They each had their own made cloaks and clothing for warmth.  The shoes and boots were important too, because they would provide some protection and warmth to the feet.  The Roman boots were made out of cowhide, and the Celt's were made of leather.  Another major tool for them both, was the weapons.  They had spears that would bend when hitting the shield, so no one can use it again to backfire.  The Romans also used  short; two foot long swords with a sharp point and was double-edged.  These weapons were a must and very handy in the battles I've seen.

The forts between them were very different though.  The Romans had a rectangular shaped fort with many headquarters, barracks, baths, and workshops.  As for the Celtic village, it is more circular, and had a fire pit in the center.  The Celtic village contained the carnyx, about five hundred houses, grain pits, and the center fire.  The barracks in the Roman forts were sleeping quarters with usually twenty rooms in a block.  The workshops was where the skilled craftsmen who supported the legion worked.  There, they worked with the meat and the armor.  The legion headquarters was the most important building in the fort that stood right in the middle.  That is where the officers of the legion worked and met.  Bathing in the Roman baths must of been wonderful, with heating by a large furnace.  The floors of the baths were raised off the ground, and held up by small stone or brick pillars.  Lastly was the commander's headquarters where the commander had his own house with the walls covered with plaster and built around the central courtyard.  It is now time to talk about where I come from, the Celtic village.  Walking around when I was little, I often visited the underground cellars known as the grain pits.  I would also come across the central fire where iron was melted to make armor and weapons.  For me, I thought that it was quite a big village, with containing about five hundred houses.  It was a pretty nice village to live in until the Romans came.

Now, I have to take care of my little daughter and go back to the battle to seek my revenge.  I hope that you liked a little history on myself, Rome, and the Celtics.  About their similarities and differences on their armor and forts.  Now that you are knowing some knowledge on Rome and the Celtics, I hope to catch up with you to see if you can tell me something about yourself, and what you have learned from my stories.  Goodbye my young Celt.   

My name is Arabus and I was 21 when the Romans decided to invade my village in the north of Europe.  Our village was surrounded by a wall and our houses and workshops were located inside it with the crops and animals outside. We meet the Romans for battle just a few fields away from the village were the forest line would begin.  

When I prepared for the battle that would begin soon I put on clothes that consisted of a wool tunic, wool breeches, and a cloak that was fasted around the neck by some metal buckles. The clothes that I wore were all dye bright colors and I also had an old worn pair of open toed shoes that were made of leather that I wore. To help protect me I had a shield that was made of wood and that was covered in leather that would help protect my whole body and I had a helmet that was simple and made of metal with leather inside to help make it softer. The second to last thing I put on was my weapons which were a long sword that I had worn around my waist and a spear that had a long pointed head with a spiral point on top. The last and my favorite thing that I had to put on was my torc which was jewellery made of cold copper and bronze that I had worn around my neck in battle. My torc had a design of a snake and was made in the workshop by the best smith in the village. It was about time for the battle to start but first I went the storytellers one last time. When it was time for the battle we all marched side by side on to the battle field ready to defend our home. The horn signaled that the battle had started. Each Roman soldier was much more equipped then us. They had a sagum and lorica with a jacket of overlapping metal underneath and a leather jacket. They had a shield and a cassis made of bronze with a cap of iron underneath and was lined with fur and cloth that cover down to their neck. The Romans carried a saccus with food and tools and their weapons were a short sword that had an advantage to our. The soldiers had a different kind of pilum that had a soft tin head and a strong body so we couldn’t throw them back because the top would bend and it could be throws ninety feet. As you can see individually we were no match and also there army was so organized and strategic that we lost the battle to the Romans and our territory became just one little part of their empire.

Now I am an old poor man living on the streets in one of Rome’s cities telling my story to people who just happened to have time to listen to an old man telling a story about his past life when he was young and lucky to survive the battle and still be living. The Romans were much more advanced than us and even if I adopted their culture I still like to listen and tell a good story.  

Romans in Scotland

I am a soldier in the roman army. We have all types of weapons and clothing that we have to wear. Last week we captured the Celts at the land above us. We are both very diverse, and do things differently. We have different clothes, weapons, and ways of life. We are so diverse that it is easy to compare us, here I’ll show you.

In the Roman army, we have short swords, or gladius’s that are easy to transport and are strictly used for stabbing and thrusting. Of course, the Celts are completely different. They have long swords that are used for cutting and slashing and they are hard to run with. We also have different protection gear. Here in Rome, we like to have good armor, including a breast plate (lorica), and a shield. The Celts have a shield too, but is has a different composition and they do not have any armor. These are only some of the things that are different, but they are the most important.

There are some things that are relatively the same about us and the Celts though, for example; our clothing. Both us and the Celts wear woolen shirts pants, or capes, only the Celts dye them bright colors. We also both have swords, helmets, and shoes, even though our shoes are more surpassing.

It has been a couple of months since we captured the Celts now, and they are getting more and more similar to us by the minute. Some of them are even joining into our way of life. Personally, before we conquered them, I think they were not civilized at all. Well, that is all I know, we are both very diverse, and the same in different ways, and it is interesting to see, and learn how interesting we all are.

Hello. My name is Aelia Bachius. I was a soldier in the Roman army.  It was a long time ago, but I remember the time when the Roman army was going to try to conquer the Caledonians and expand their empire.  I would always remember it. I remember the empire's leader's talking about invading them and expanding their empire.  We were sent there to conquer the Celts.  After months of marching through the Alps and sailing across to Britiana, we had finally made it but lost many of our soldiers.   We set up many forts and I hoped we would conquer their land someday. As I looked at their village from our fort, I spotted a few Celtic warriors. They were very strange. They wore a weird ring around their necks and carried a long, spear-like weapon that had a pointed end, appearing to be made out of iron.  They wore bright, colorful clothing, shoes, but, no armor except for a large shield.  Also, strangely, they grew beards and had painted their faces, compared to us, who never grew beards. We had more weapons (such as pilums, hastas, and the gladius), much more armor (lorica), and metal helmets we called casius that were lined with fur.  However, we had some things in common.  We both had sandal-like shoes that were very useful in battle.  I began to worry a bit.  They didn't look very strong compared to our army  but, I had a feeling that they would be much stronger than they looked. I noticed how small their village was, though, comparing it to our fort.  They didn't have many of the things we did.  We had a large, public bathroom. It included a furnace that we used to heat the floors and bath water. The Celts did not have anything like that.  However, they did use a furnace/fire in their workshop.  They used similar tools to ours. They were very different from us, though.  They didn't have nearly any of the luxuries we had in our forts or cities.  They didn't have any big gardens or shops.  They grew all their crops and raised animals all by themselves.  They never traded any animals or crops with anyone.  Despite of our many differences, we started to become peaceful neighbors as we were living there. We never conquered them, though.  However, in the process, we gained more territory.  The Celts and Romans lived together peacefully for a long time after.  It was an amazing experience that I would never forget

My life as a Celt

By Katie Nee

My name is Kathrithus Neethus and I lived in this very same Celtic village and I was there when the Romans attacked us while we were living peacefully in our small village.  My husband was a Celtic warrior and trained every day.  We were not prepared for what was about to come.  I can remember everything about them.  They came in on well-groomed horses and on foot.  They had the best armor made of iron and bronze that was almost imposable to pierce because they were so well made.  The thick leather helmets we had were comfortable and strong but had hardly any protection against the short swords the Romans had.  They also had amazing spears that were well thought out.  My villages men were amazed too.  The Romans did not want us or any other people to have more weapons, so they built them to only last one strike.  Than they would bend and break.  The Roman soldiers were well prepared for any weather or delay, so they carried kit bags with them holding supplies such as food and, medicine and, rope.   I was amazed at the tactics of war they used and impressed by the work, and knowledge that they put into building their forts.

I think that the forts impressed me the most.    The fort was surrounded by a strong walls of stone, so much better than the weak hedge wall we made and trimmed.  The walls were surrounded by ditches dug into the dirt that were filled with the waste and sewerage, and you might ask, how can anyone drain nasty fluids in the open air?  It would smell so bad.  Well, those Romans were very smart people.  They used pipes underground to drain the fluids into the ditches.  They also drained water from the great bath hoses that they made.  The drains drained water from fountains that squirted hot water into the baths.  Also inside the thick walls of the fort were the barracks.  These buildings were were the Roman soldiers ate and slept.  They hunted animals outside of the forts and cooked them inside their rooms.  Our troops lived at home with their families in homes made of wood boards and walls of stone.  We played games and tell stories and weave and sew.  I think that our villages are more peaceful and way more family like than the Roman forts. 

Over all, I know that the Romans had better armor for better protection and better fighting skills against us.  They accomplished a lot more than we did and built amazing forts.  After the war with the Romans,  we lived in peace for a long time.  We are still living in peace today.

Hello, my name is Alicus. Once a long time ago I was a Roman soldier that fought in many wars. The war that I remember most is the war between the Celts and us Romans. Both of the two groups had many different and similar

advantages and disadvantages. For example we both had helmets, shields, and some sort of weapon. This war was a very important part of its time.

Being a Roman Legionary we had quite a few things to wear for the way we had to dress, as well as the Celts. We wore a helmet, or as we called it called it Cassis. It was a bronze helmet with a very strong skull of cap iron underneath, with hinged cheek guards. Underneath there armour they wore a woolen cloak or, Sagum, which was worn for the comfort of the legionaries. Above the cloak rested the armour or Lorica. The armour consisted of a breastplate which protected the chest and back. We carried a shield or Scutum made from strips of wood, they were four feet long and three feet wide. The shields also protected our legs, therefore shin guards were unnecessary. We were lucky enough to have boots or caligae as well. They were made of cowhide and had a 2 centimeter thick sole. We had to check or repair their boots every night. Two weapons were necessary. One of the weapons was a sword, or gladius/spartha. The sword was two feet long used for slashing. The second weapon was a spear, or pilum/hasta. Two of them were carried, and once they stuck in to the enemy it bent and could no longer be used to throw back. This spear could also kill an enemy ninety feet away. One final thing that we carried with us was a kit bag, or saccus which was used to carry any equipment needed. Also our own food was carried in the kit bags. As you can see the us Roman legionaries had many things to wear for war.

The Celtic warrior dresses in a similar way that the legionaries did. The Celts wore a helmet made of metal and leather, and some poor soldiers only wore a leather skull cap. For clothing the Celts wore bright and colorful clothes, like tunics dyed in colors. The Celts also had a long shield that protected the whole body. The Celts also were lucky enough like us to have shoes, which were boots made of leather. Also the Celts painted their faces with unusual designs and bright colors, but no one is certain why. Finally the Celts had two weapons. One of the weapons was a long sword used for slashing and cutting. The last weapon they had was a spear. The Celts had many things in common and not in common with us, the Romans.

In conclusion the war between the Roman legionaries and the Celtic warriors was a big part in the history of its time. The way that we dressed and the way that the Celts dressed, were similar in many ways, but it was also quite different as well. The Romans and the Celts were very similar.

LHAL

Abyssus, I'm Adrian Celtica of the Gaul. It's been a decade since Caeser and Rome conquered us, but I still remember that one-sided war well. We lost battle after battle and were defeated almost every point. The only real resistence against the Romans is up at Hadrians Wall which I believe is still standing only because Rome is busy elsewhere. I do remember once me and my tribe came upon an abandoned roman fort. It was the most enlightening experience I've known and will ever know. It was the first time I had contact with Roman culture on anywhere other than a battlefield. It was then I realized we had never had a chance in this war. From the battlefield I already knew that the Romans were much better equipped than us. Where we had just a shield and a leather helmet, they have metal body armor they call lorica, a square shield or scutum, and a metal helmet called a cassis. They fought in a disciplined manner unlike our wild attacks lead by a hero. Their thrusts with their gladius beat or crazy slashes with our longswords. When we throw our spiraled javilens they just come right back at us. The Romans spears, or pilums, that we laughed at because of how weak it was, broke on impact so we couldn't throw them back. Even though we had all those disadvantages I believed that eventually we would find the power to strike back and win the war. That all changed when we found the fort.

The first thing we saw when we came upon the fort was this building built over a natural hot spring. It had a strange word on the side of it "Balneae". When we went inside we found three pools of water. One was mildly warm (for someone who bathes in rivers), the next was warm, and the last was really hot. Then we figured what the building was...  it was where the Romans bathed! The one thing that we didn't understand was a bunch of holes. To figure out what they were for we sent one of our tribe down there. When he came back up he said that it was where the Romans pooped! Amazing, they had to have this special place to take a dump? Then I realized that it wasn't that they had to, it was that they could. After that we tried another buildingoutside the fort. It was easy to tell what it was without even going inside. All we needed to do was to smell the air to tell it was a leather-workers shop.

After that we went into the fort. The first place we went in there was a bunch of buildings that all looked the same. The words on the side said "Centuriae I". When we went inside we realized that this was where all the soldiers lived. We found lots of beds that were stacked on top of each other. At one end of the building was a big room that was a little nicer than the rest. At the other end of the building we found some strange cubes that had numbers on them. We  learned later after we were conqurered by Caeser that the dice are used to gamble. After that we explored the rest of the small buildings. They were all basically the same as thye first one.

Next, we tried a few slightly larger buildings that had signs that said "Fabricae". The first one was a place where food was suplied. Another was a place where the Romans repaired their carts and wheels. The next shop turned out to be a carpenters shop. The last building we came to was a forge. This forge was much more advanced than the one we had had at our village, but there we recognized most of the tools.

The next building we went to was much nicer looking and had a sign that said "Praetorium". It was huge and was centered around a court yard. There was this strange see-through substance on the side so that people could look out. It was very lavish and filled with luxuries we had never heard of. We decided this must be the commanding officer's house.

The final place we looked at was what really showed me that we had absolutely no chance in this war. This building was called the "Principia". We decided that this was the main building. In the middle of the room was a raised platform that had a whipping post. In the corner we found a table with a map on it. This map showed all of the Romans empire. We were catapult-shocked, The Empire was HUGE. A small point on the map showed us how small we were.

Now, that we are under the rule of the Empire I feel much safer. They have advanced our technology beyond anything we have ever dreamed of and they keep us safe. Now that you see this, tell anybody that detests Roman rule this story and ask them, "Would you rather fight the Empire and refute all the gifts they have given us and die, or live with the gifts, for the small price of taxes?"

Adrian Celtica, Gaul, 94 AD 

Hello journal, I have been told to write in you from my father, because he told me that when he was a soldier, he became very lonely and needed someone to talk to so he could say the things he couldn’t, or, wasn’t allowed to say. So, he insisted on having me bring you with me in my kit bag. So, I’ll tell you journal. My fellow troops and I are patrolling the Celtic village. It’s so frigid here, rather than beloved Rome. Well, the Celts do seem quite savage, especially with their weapons, those horribly made spears with the triple heads, and what is that metal thing around his neck? I ask the soldier next to me, and he says that that it’s called a torc and that it’s a custom to wear one around your neck or on your arm, and then I realize, that everyone in the village is wearing one. My, look at that soldier’s helmet! It looks like it is made of metal and leather, horrible craftsmanship, especially compared to my bronze, beautifully crafted helmet with a cap of iron, and lined with cloth and animal for my comfort. And I thank the gods for the plate guarding my forehead, saved my life three times.

Dear Jupiter! Look at these barbaric living standards, they’re nothing compared to ours!”I silently exclaimed, to the same soldier on my right side, (who I think might be now done answering my questions) and he agrees, as we look at the tiny huts all circled around a small fire at the center. I look over, and see two women climbing onto, excuse me, crawling into a small hut, I later found out that these were called Grain pits, as there were good places to store grain. I also have been told that that those might be places to hide during war times. Strange.  To my surprise, I see our general, walking up to one of the Celts. What’s he doing? He’s trading!?! I am slightly relieved journal, to see the men in front and back of me with the same look o bewilderment that I must be carrying. The general later told us, that the Celts have skins valuable to us, leather hides, and timber that are very useful to Rome.

We have been welcomed into a family’s hut.  And believe me journal, when I say family, I mean, family.  All the relatives you could think of, second cousins, third aunts and uncles, and so many brothers and sisters that you wouldn’t believe. And in what a small hut! The family told us that there could be just one family to a number of huts! And the herds and herds of animals, apparently to mark wealth for these people. The animals are so small and loud, mind you, that they often keep me awake with their odd screeches and high pitched moans and groans. The people here have turned out to be quite kind, and caring. I do think I am going to like living here.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Hello, I am a Roman foot soldier currently stationed in Gaul. Our goal is to control the territory now occupied by these foolish Caledonians. We hope to have all land by the next couple of years, as of now we wait.We are preparing for a slaughter of a local tribe. we have one legion going in to the village to try to compromise, if not, i only fear the worst for these primitive people.

We have just come back from a victory over the celts. The fight was not fair, they had no armour with only two simple weapons the broadsword and a sling. Our generals were correct with their fighting technique i was run up as fast as youcan and start swinging, sompared to our which was to keep a tight line shoulder to shoulder and start stabbing whoever comes close to slash or stab. This was very affective against them because with their slow broadsword we were much faster. We will start building on their land tommorow, and plan to make a treaty with another village to the north.

The treaty was a success, one citizen took a foot soldiers sword and ran him through he was quieted quickly, the citizen i almost felt bad for when he was surrounded and quickly stopped. Many of these happy caledonians were glad to be heading to a better life... i hope. A lot of the citizens the next day were getting some last collectables to prepare for the trip to Rome. I noticed some of these strange collectables, some were religious, jewelry, cloths, etc. I was only accustomed to my sword armour and food. Their faith in these objects intriged me.

As of right now we have no specific plans except for to get that other fort ready in the North. For now I will be staying in the baths and getting a massage. I wonder what Ceaser has planned next for us.

Romans in Scotland

My name is Martius and I am a Roman soldier. I am twenty-five years old and I am in a legion. My family has been serving in the Roman Army for many years, and many stories have been passed down. I think that the battle with the Celts was one of the hardest, though.

I knew that it would be a hard battle when we first got to the battle field and I saw their swords, obviously made for slashing and cutting. Then, I remembered our secret weapon, our Pilum. With our Pilum, or spear, we would be able to throw them and not get them returned. Also, I think that we had a very big advantage in armor. They had practically none! Our Lorica (body armor) was a big advance and savior to our army. The most important piece was the breast plate.  It has saved many men. It was just a simple jacket of overlapping metal, but much more than the Celts. The Celts did have boots like us, though. Our Caligae (boots) didn't win us any adavantage over them. Our Scutum (shield) was well built, but the Celts stole our design. Theirs is long, wooden and covered in leather. It protected the whole body. It was a shame when I took my Gladius (sword) and aimed for a Celts rib and he deflected it with his shield. He also managed to take a swipe at my hand. Luckilly, it was only a flesh wound and it was my left hand. That did give me a bit of a disadvantage of handling my Scutum, though.

By the end of the war I was in pretty good condition, despite the wound on my hand and a gash above my eye. After our victory I was able to return home to my wife and children and heal over time. Now, I await new orders from our leaders and hopefully a new begining. 

1st Person Account of what it’s like between a Roman and a Caledonian

Hi, my name is Octavius; I’m going to tell you about us Romans compared to the Caledonians. There are a lot of things imp going to tell you about us Romans and the Caledonians. First thing I’m going to compare us Romans to the Caledonians is that we are in my perspective is that we are much better armored than they are.

The spear ( the pilium) had a 10 inch point and was made out of soft iron, We could throw the spear over 30 meters into the enemy another thing is that when you threw it and it hit the enemies shield it would bend and the enemy couldn’t throw it back at us. The Caledonians on the other hand had spears that had a hard jagged tip that when they hit you they left a bad wound and if you tried to pull it out it would create another wound. Us Romans had a leather tunic under a metal Breast plate called body armor ( the lorica)  witch had metal plates land over each other and they were hinged on the back so that they fit easily over our body. The Caledonians had bright woolen tunics died in bright colors, sometimes they wore undergarments but only the very rich of the Caledonians wore those. We Romans had a helmet (Cassis) made of bronze lined with fur and it had cheek guards. The Caledonians wore simple helmets made of leather with metal; some poorer Caledonians had just leather helmets. I use a shield (scutum) made of strips of wood pressed together and then glued with boiled cattle skins. The shield is usually 4 foot long and protected my legs. (That’s why I don’t have shin guards.) The Caledonians used full body shields they were made of wood and then covered in leather, they probably took our weapons and used them in battle = (. Another thing we Romans had was boots made of cowhide and were open-toed sandals in a way with leather souls, the boots (caligea) we had over 130 nails and since we were marching everywhere, we had to pretty much repair them every night. The Caledonians wore leather warm boots since they lived in cold damp areas. We also had a sword ( gladius) that was 2 foot long double bladed edge with a bone handle for a better grip , the legions were taught to jab and stab instead of slashing and cutting. The Caledonians had a long sword used for cutting and slashing. Some things the Caledonians did not have and we did was a cloak and a kit bag. The (sagum) cloak was made of a wool, we kept the natural oils in it to make it as waterproof as possible and we used it to keep warm at times. The kit bag we had been sometimes weighed as much as 60 pounds and had all of my food for 3 days plus a pick axe and a bunch of other things used for building.

Our Forts and their villages are very different from each other first of all we had a bath house ( balnea) were we had a furnace under the bathhouse and that heated the floor which was made of stone and then that heated the pools to make them warm. There were different rooms for different temperatures the really hot rooms for the really hot baths and, then there were the mild room with mild temperatures and, then there was a frigid room where it was a cold bath. The Barracks ( centuriae) in the Roman forts were I lived were usually 50 meters long and 10 meters wide with 20 rooms too each block fitting 4 beds to a room. The commander’s house usually had its own Bath house and heating and his own garden. Headquarters (principia) in the Roman forts is where all the officers and the general and his legion commanders met for meetings. There were three main workshops the first one had the butchers and the huntsmen kept fresh meat for the whole legion the other workshop was where blacksmith and craftsmen work and create the legions weapons. The third workshop is for all the craftsmen and tile workers who repair the Forts roof s bathhouses and more. The Caledonians are very different from us they had round houses with steal peaked roofs was held up by a wooden frame. Their workshops had bellows and hammers to melt and forge iron ore for their weapons. The village they lived in usually was on a manmade island in the middle of a manmade moat, the way you would reach them is to go throw an underwater pathway called a stone causeway or they were reached by a log boat.

That is what it is like between the Romans lifestyle and the Caledonians lifestyle from the roman bathhouses to Caledonian village in the middle of a loch.

From your Roman friend,

Octavius

I am a Roman soldier. My name is Agustus. I am twenty years old because that is how old a soldier has to be.  There are no women in the Roman army, just men.  I carry a weapon that looks like a stick, it is called a sword, it is very sharp on the end.

When I fought in battle I wore a helmet to protect my head.  To protect my body I carried a shield.

Because the Roman army was very organized, I ate with them and we sometimes slept in tents.  I get a lot of exercise by running, marching and practice-fighting.  I obey my rulers so I don’t get in trouble.

Hello my name Servius. I was a Celtic Soldier. I served for the Celtics for three years. Normally you serve for twenty years but when I lost my leg they let me retire. I've been retired for four years now. I still have my uniform. I remember when we had a big war against the Romans. I think I'll tell you about it.

One day I was at my house when we were informed that the Romans were invading. We all got ready and quickly headed off. We met the Romans on a flat plain. Boy did they look tough. Their uniforms were so different from ours. They had a spear and a helmet. They also had a sword, a dagger, a shield, and body armor. They wore a cloak over the armor and had a kit bag. I was so nervous. They had three weapons. All I had was a sword and spear. One thing that I was happy about was that my spear had three spear points to it. The Romans only had one. But they had body armor. How would we be able to kill them if we couldn't get through the armor? I thought. One day I was sent to go spy on their fort. I hid in a tree and watched them. Their fort was so nice. They had two workshops, and six barracks. They also had a head quarters. Then there was this big wall and behind that were a bath house and the Commander's Quarters. They looked like they were so comfortable in their fort. I wished I was a Roman. I saw a butcher outside of one of the workshops so I figured that that was where they get their meat. Then I saw two huntsmen walk into that same workshop caring some sort of meat so I knew that was where they kept their meat. In the other one I found out that it was a blacksmith fort because I kept seeing soldiers walk in with swords and walk out swinging them around like they were brand new. I thought about my fort and boy was it different. We didn't have fancy bath houses or Commander's Quarters. All we had was some workshops and houses. The houses weren't much either. They had two floors. The bottom floor kept animals and we slept and ate on the second floor. I workshops did have blacksmiths but sadly we didn't have butchers to cut up the meat all fancy. Our Blacksmiths did have furnaces though and we had bellows to blow air no the fires. I wondered if they had bellows. Surely they would have furnaces. Suddenly I heard yelling and noticed that they saw me. I quickly ran away. This quickly led to more fighting against the Romans. The next day we managed to get into their fort we fought there for a while. They ran back and hid behind the wall where the Commander's Quarters were and the bath house. All we had to do was take over that area of their fort. Then it would be easier to fight them. But they got stronger and eventually we drew back and they got their fort back. But it wasn't over yet we still had a lot of fighting left to do, and they weren't giving up. About three years later the war was still going on. I was still fighting. One day when I was fighting someone cut my leg very badly. But he didn't kill me. He died before he could. So I just laid on the ground. I started dragging myself back to the fort, hoping that nobody would see me. When I eventually got myself back to the fort they didn't know what to do. They didn't have to medicine to help me. So we just decided to cut it off and stitch it closed. After that they said that I really couldn't fight anymore so they let me go home.

The war is still going on now. I don't know what has happened but hopefully we are in good condition. I would hate to lose this war against the Romans. They're so fierce they'd probably make us slaves and I'd be a bad slave since I only have one good leg. Well that’s my story about our war against the Romans.

Roman Soldier - Name: Romulus Nestongos TJJO!! 2/16/10

My name is Romulus Nestongos, and this is my story of my first battle with the Celtic people. When I came of age, 20, to join the Roman army, I was ecstatic. Ever since I was a small boy I had always wanted this. But now that I am in the army, training, and working I'm beginning to think again. I know that I should be honored to be here, but this just isn't my life.

I'm set to leave in a week, to trample over the Celts. My commander says that they're animal like, that they are very uncivilized because they don't have cities but tacky villages with no roads and that they wear animals on their backs. Although there are good things about this situation. I have all of the supplies that I need, for example, we are stocked with weapons, a kit bag, in which I store all of my food and utilities, armor and a cloak. Our training is a disciplined process, we must learn many battle forms, such as the one that was used in one of the Punic wars in my father's time. I've also wondered if the Celts has this sort of disciplined organization.

It in now time for me to take my leave for Ireland. I've been away from Rome for 3 months now, and I dearly miss my family. I have been walking all my way, and I must check my shoes every night before I sleep because the hundreds of nails in the leather always fall out. The nights are cold too, but luckily I still have my warm cloak in good shape. We've seen signs that the Celts had been here. There are fire pits and left over wood piles, I am surprised that they haven't disposed of it so that we can't live on the land. My barrack is very crowded, I have all of the largest soldiers in my room. We have just gotten our supply of sewing bobbins, mixing bowls, dormice, and cooking pots. I am very grateful for this because I have discovered a large hole in my tunic. I think the dormice have gotten to it.

Tomorrow is our first battle with the Celts, I am afraid, but must hide it for it would be disgraceful to my family. All of my supplies and weapons are gathered and ready. I must take a trip to the baths before, for I feel strangely dirty. It is the day now, and I am ready. My first impression on the misfortune of the Celtic village was that it was dirty and the stench compared to our Roman forts. We were told to take the women and kill the boys, I think of it as cruel, but others say it is this way that we show them that we are here, and we "mean business". I noticed the weaving loom and cauldron in one of the village houses as my fellow legionaries and I tare it down underneath the screams of the people. The warriors looked liked like bears, they as well frighted me. I have killed two men already, all by mistake. I have wished not to kill, for it leaves a guiltiness on my shoulders. The animals I do not mind as much killing, so my commander as sent me to the disposal of them. Their cries are heart piercing, but I try to push it out on my head.

Finally the battle of done with, and we have lost ten men. and have seven wounded. I was attending one of them when one on the Celts, hiding from underneath the rubble came up and stuck me with his seemingly huge fist, leaving a large welt in my back, jaw, and shoulder. To my fortune, he was killed by one of the legionaries before he could do any more damage. We have started to begin to build a city in the remains of the village. It has been a year and a half since I have been home. My injuries have healed and presently I am working on building a house in the new city called Rome, it is going to be another replica of the mother city Rome. And this is the house that I'm going to accept for my pay, I will then plan to sell it, and make my way back to my Rome.

Article posted February 19, 2010 at 04:41 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 45

I am a Celtic warrior. My name is Teave. I have been trying to defeat the Romans, along with my army for so long now. We do not have spears like the Roman warriors have, so we use long stick-like weapons for slashing and cutting. I am a rival with Rome, I do not like them, and they do not like me. Sometimes though, some of the people in my village want to get on with the Romans, and make peice with them. But, others want to take over Rome. We know that we will not dominate the Romans, or even take their land, but we still fight. We wish that things will change and we will fight for honor and victory. I live in the village. The village lays in the middle of a circular gate. The village can hold up to around 500 houses. Some houses have Carnyx's on the top of the doorway. A Carnyx is a sculpture made of bronze, it is usually in the shape of a wild creature. In the center of the village, there is a fire pit. The fire pit is used to melt iron and make armour and weapons. Usually, older and wiser people would stand by the fire and tell stories to the younger people. In the village is also a grain pit. The grain pits are basically under ground places where we can store stuff. Another part of my clothing is a torc. A torc is a piece of jewelry, made out of copper and bronze. Our helmets are put on the top of our heads and are made with leather and metal, to protect our skulls from getting damaged.

We also use small stones to sling at the Roman warriors. We hold tall shields in our hands, that we use to deflect spears that get thrown at us. We steel a lot of weapons from other soldiers, to use against them. Our boots are made of leather, and the Romans boots are made of thick material, for safety. The Roman Armour is more advanced than our armour. Their body armour is called Lorica, which is one of their most important piece of armour they have. They throw spears at us during battles. Their spears are also called Pilum, or Hasta. Their Pilums have a 10 inch long point at the top that is made of iron. The Romans throw them about 90 feet away from them, and try to hit their target. They where Cassis's on the top of their heads. It is a helmet, that is lined with fur. The helmet protects their skull's from getting damaged. They hold up a Scutum, or a shield in their hand's. Their Scutums are made of wood. They used Scutums for protection, and so they would not get stabbed or hit by rocks that we throw at them. They carry a Saccus in their other hand, which is also called a kit bag. The Saccus carries a supply of food and tools to keep them safe for about three days while they travel. The Saccus carries 27 kilos, or 60 pounds.

The Romans live a bit differently from us. The Romans lived in between four walls, about ten feet high, made of terf. The walls are also called Vallums. The entry to the village is by the gates, or Portae. There are four gates in total, one on each wall. The gates are made of wood, and have a tower over the top of it, for gaurds to watch the people enter. Right infront of the walls are Fossae, or ditches. Any intruder who tried to sneek in would fall into the ditches, and get injured. Around the walls are distant slabs, or Miliariums. Miliariums are stones that are put up onto walls to record what events they do. In the village, there is the Balneae (the bath house,) the comanders house (Praetorium,) the workshops (Fabricae,) the head quarters (Principia,) and the Barracks which are also called Centuriae. The Centuriae is where the people sleep. The Romans are a bit different from us, the Celtics. But, we have some similarities.

My days invading the Kelt's.

I am a roman solder sent by Rome to take Scotland. Our leader Julius is a great and powerful man. Some of the soldiers think he was sent here to take Scotland . I am Samicus and I'm a roman soldier.

My first day in camp. The camp was a great place it is more of a small town then a camp. I went right to the baths when I got in side it is in the inner wall far from the barracks I should have worn my cape I was cold so I went in the warmest bath and relaxed for a little. Suddenly I saw a toilet sponge in my tub I can't imagine what person would do that. I jumped out of the water. Then went to the barracks to sleep.

That morning was our first invasion we went to a camp then we lit the houses on fire and left. A soldier came and I stabbed right though his shield with my gladius. We all left we would come back at dawn and settle the town and move on as we made our way back we saw some Kelt's. I took note of it. later that day on our way back to camp we were ambushed by the Kelt's. They were not a threat our war tactics and swords cut through there ranks easily Although I did get a large dent in my helmet I am happy our cloaks are red because it was a bloody day. When I got back to camp I was commended for my deeds and that I would get an estate when I retired.

That is were I am now soaking up sun and living it up. It pays to be a great roman soldier. My day were hard and cold but now I am rich and content.

Hello my name Brodie Peterson and most people call me Sir Peterson. I am a 21-year old Caledonian warrior that has a wife and three kids. My large family has some huts in the Caledonian village of Dochgarros, at the top of the Caledonian canal. The males in my family have all been a part of the military while the women have a background of hardwork at home for when men came home. My little brothers who are not old enough to be in the military make blacksmith tools. Right next to our village there was a nice stream of fresh water that supplied our family very well. Timber was a useful supply to build our villages. Each village had forests usually in the outskirts, if you follow the river you will find the timber supply. I have just got word from General Anderson that the Romans are in our territory, which some are villages of friends. 

So yes, General Anderson came into every soldiers village and wanted us to come to the fort to get some new weapons. I had to pack my bags quick and go to the fort right next to the border. I packed some uniforms along with some weapons and I was on my way with the General. My brother John had been coming along with us for his first time. He had been waiting to get out there along he was nervous. Our wives had been preparing us freshly cooked meals for us these last couple of days. Our sons have been making weapons and tools for battle. Romans would use these tools to copy invented weapons of their enemies. Our general is telling us to be ready for a new weapon they have brought to test. 

We had a furnace or a fire to burn up these blacksmith tools. The romans used a furnace to heat up their baths and saunas. The women in Caledonia were responsible for sewing and weaving clothing for men and everybody. When the romans came in they had to know how to repair their own clothes. Other than water my family drank a lot of ale. It is grown a lot in our farm. Children take part in drinking this beverage also. Romans drank a lot of wine in their camps, amphora's were used for storing this wine. When we had got to the base of the fort we were brought to practice with weapons. We had used a lot of spears used for slahing and cutting through enemies skin. With the romans metal plate armour we need this extra damage on enemies. Protecting our own bodies we used a shield that was long enough to to block our whole bodies. General Anderson told us to shave upand get dressed in uniform for battle. He also said we weren't allowed to shave again until we had killed someone.

I was just about to go into battle when I had got word that romans had been back in Dochgarros near our village. I didn't know if they were ok or not but all I wanted to do is get back and help them. I went out and we were following along a river until we had seen enemy base we made camp away from them and was waiting for the time to attack. Me and my brother really wanted to sneak out and get back to Dochgarros. I wanted to go back and I couldn't I had to stand up for Caledonia.

Hello my name is Jaius Rantiya Protius.  I was a Roman legioniar when I was younger. My main purpose was just to attack the enemy army after the calvary and the archers had weakend them. I remeber the time we invaded the Celtic territory called Gaul.

The Celtics were so uncivilized! We went to see their cheif and when I shook his hand the smell was horrible! We saw their buildings and they were the equivillent to one of our temporary camps their buildings were made of mud and straw . Instead of having solid stone walls like ours they had mere hedges! They had such strange ways of  dressing they had weird gold rings around their necks which as far as I could tell served no purpose but their shields were round and oblong and covered the whole body but it was only  made of wood where as ours were rectanguler and reinforced with animal skins. Our spear  also called a pilum would break on contact with a hard surface our idea was very useful in a defensive position whereas the celtic spear which  was barbed so it went in smoothly  and tore the flesh as it came out was better on the offensive level. Our longsword called a gladius was about the same as  the celtic sword. One reason i am alive to write this is because of our superior armor  we had  plate armour  whereas they just  had their shirts and cloaks. When it came to the less... diplomatic area of our contact with the celtics our organized army crushed the head on charge of the Celtics.

Those are my personal thoughts on what most of the Celtics were like, although, the ones that joined Rome weren't half bad but the ones that didn't absolutley despised mother Rome. I hope evryone that reads this will find it very informative.