Copyright (c) 2014 by MHEL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MHEL -- Blogmeister

MHEL

Class of 2012-2013

by MHEL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Title: Mixed Media Collage (01/12/10)
Description: In Art class, students studied the work of artist, Jasper Johns. His painting techniques, layering of materials, and use of symbols are what inspired this projcet.

Artist Statement

In my collage I incorporated three major elements of art, movement, line, and color. I used water in my collage, to show flowing action. I also made my paint flow like water. I want my audience to see connections with water, and other natural elements. I think that my artwork is successful, because the paint and the collage go hand in hand. I really enjoy the ocean, so I based my collage on water, but I also had other subjects in my collage, In order to mix things up.

First, I found a bunch of pictures related to nature, from various magazines. When I selected a photo, I cut it out, and temporarily placed it on my canvas. When I had an ample amount of photos, I used mod-podge to glue them to my canvas. When I was satisfied with my collage, I began to make a sketch of the pattern that I would paint. When I liked my sketch, I transferred it to a large piece of paper. Next I taped the paper to parts of my collage that I didn’t want to be painted. Then I painted the visible parts with gesso. Later I took off the paper from my collage and added color to my artwork.

My collage combines the three themes of color, line, and shape. The color is represented by the green background along with the yellow and white dots over it. The line is represented by the curvy, wavy frame and the wavy lines throughout the image. The shape is represented by all of the differently shaped magazine cutouts behind the stencil. For the pictures I mostly focused on the main shapes of the triangle, square, and circle to produce a more simple creation instead of complex shapes; however some parts of the shapes I made the bad choice of covering up part of them, making it so some of the shapes take the appearance of regular pictures.

LHDR

Artist Statement

The theme of my artwork is whimsical, fun, and curvy. I just went with the flow and random pictures. My favorite part is the curves and movement. I used glue, mod podge, gesso, and paint mix. I hope you like my art.

By,

H .R.M.A

Artist Statement

My Artist Statement - The theme of my work is all different types of food from different magazines. I want the audience to see that I really enjoy different types of food and that I like trying new foods all the time. I used a variety of material throughout my work. I used scissors, mod podge, and the white board that we pasted our pictures on to. What made my artwork very successful was that I took my time throughout all the periods we have for art and it made my artwork very successful.  

In this collage, I focused on different people's faces and emotions. I want my audience to see the way you can put different faces and objects into one piece of art work. To make this collage, I took a special board and found magazine clippings and used mod podge to glue them on and then created a design to paint on. My inspiration was to see all the different fasces and smiles from different people.

In my collage I put random things like people and funny stuff. In my painting I did layers into out. I put picture that had a lot of color and natural objects. I put a cool object and over. I put paint on it and I mixed some colors to make it look cool.

Artist Statement

The theme of my collage was lots of color and flowers. I wanted my audience to see that I love using color with my work. The materials I used were a white canvas, mod podge, yellow & orange paint and acrylic medium. First I cut all the pieces out of different magazines then glued everything down Then I made a design on a piece of paper and cut it out to use as a stencil . Next I put the mod podge on top of the stencil .And then I mixed the acrylic medium in with the yellow and orange paint and painted on the mod podged design . I think the color scheme I chose made my work successful. My inspiration and influence was again bright cherry colors.

~Hjol

In art class we made a project with a theme of the elements of art. What we did for the project was make a collage. I used scissors to cut out pictures then I glued it to my collage. And then when I was done getting all the pictures on the collage I mod-podgged it. I made a design that looks like fire and painted it with yellow, red, orange. The color is something that makes my artwork successful. The color is bright is bright and vibrant. Also the artwork is me I put random pictures on the collage and I am random. I want the audience to see who I am. I am random and funny. The pictures are sometimes funny and are very random.

Artist Statement

My collage is called “Fall with a Twist”. My artwork is mostly about lines and pattern because most of my pictures are filled with lines and patterns of all sorts. The materials that I used for my collage were,

• Mod Podge

• Pictures from magazines

• A stencil

• Paint

The mod podge was to glue on the pictures to the banister, the stencil was to draw the pattern over the banister, and the paint was for so you can see the stencil that I drew out.

I'm very proud of my collage because I thought I did a very good job with the colors I picked for my collage.

ARTIST STATEMENT BRAINSTORMING SHEET

CSMA

In art class, I created a collage. We had to choose three themes for our collage. I chose color, pattern, and texture. It was color because I tried to have all of the pieces of the magazine cutouts be the color yellow, and I achieved that goal. I painted a wave on my collage to create a pattern. It has texture because of the way that the painting of the wave flows into different colors, and some different strokes to give it texture. When people look at my painting, I want them to see color change throughout the painted part of my work.

I used many different materials to make my work. I used the following materials: paint, magazine clippings, paper, Mod-Podge, Gesso, scissors, exacto knife, and tape. First, I had to think about what I wanted to be the themes of my painting. Next, I used magazines, and cut out some parts of different magazines that all had the same themes. Once I was finished with all of the cutouts, I painted Mod-Podge on where I wanted to put the cutouts. After I did that, I put more Mod-Podge over the cutouts. Once that was dry, I drew a picture of what I wanted the painted design to be. Then I cut out the part that I didn’t want to paint. After I did that, I taped on the cut out design. Next, I put Gesso on the part that I didn’t cut out on my artwork. Lastly, I painted over the dry Gesso with the colors that I wanted.

I think that the way that the colors flow in my wave that I painted, is what makes it successful. I think this because the three colors that I used all blend together, making a flowing effect on the waves. The ocean and the sun are what influenced my artwork in general. The yellow influences the color of the sun, and the waves are the waves below the sun.

I really enjoyed this art project, and hope to create a project like this one again sometime soon.

The theme of my work was Jonas Brothers and Horses. I did the Jonas brothers because that is one thing that my friends know about me. I also did Horses because I ride horses and that is one of my favorite hobbies. What I want my audience to see in my work is my favorite things which are Jonas Brothers and horses.  I want people to know what I love. What I used for material I used is I used magazines.  What steps I used was I would put the bigger pictures on first and then worked my way down from that. I also switched off from using Jonas brothers pictures and horses so I got an even amount of each kind.

What makes my artwork successful is the effort I put I to it. If I didn’t put a lot of effort into it, I wouldn’t make my artwork successful. What made it successful is the color and different “patterns”. The patterns I meant was the different pictures that made it look like it blended in. My influences for my artwork are my favorite things in life. I thought it would be fun to do a collage on the Jonas brothers and horses because those are my favorite things in life.  My inspiration and motivation for my collage is different colors and different eye catchers. Eye catchers are like different pictures next to each other. I also made the pictures different sizes to make things stand out.

Artist Statement

The theme of my work was color. I got all my pictures from an article on the Oprah magazine, so they all correspond together. I want the audience to see nature, peace, and love for life through my collage. I used a variety of materials like paper, magazine, paint, glue, mod podge, and acrylic medium. I think my work was successful because it expresses peace and happiness which is a feeling most people want to have. My influence was to create a peaceful work of art to set off a vibe of pure joy. When I was flipping through the Oprah Magazine, I saw the pictures I chose and I was suddenly inspired to make the collage I have.

My artist statement

The theme of my work was horses and things to do with horses. I chose this because horses are a very important part of my life and I love them so much. For materials, I used magazine pictures and paint. First, I cut pictures out, I layed them on my board where I wanted them, and mod-podged them. Lastly, I made my stencil and painted it with pearlescent to add shine to my collage. The thing that made my artwork unique was that I had a certain theme that has to do with me for my collage. I was influenced and inspired to use horses because I ride them. So I was inspired to do something I love to have in my life.

Artist Statement

What I want my theme in my collage was to find a bunch of flowers. I want my audience to see the beauty of flowers and their different colors. To make this project come all together what materials I used was paint, magazines, clue, and mod-podge. What makes my artwork so success is having all the materials I need and enjoying making my artwork come all together. I love flowers and watching flowers bloom and they the flowers sway altogether. I enjoyed doing this project.

My collage was influenced by punk rock culture, which has stuff like messed up things that are normally present in society, like the cover art for the Guns N’ Roses album LIES. I showed my influences by this with the large amount of magazine text I included in the collage. I added shapes of guitars over the collage which added to the punk rock culture that I showed in my collage. I tried to shape the collage with the road going into a bunch of mountains, but the guitars I painted kind of took away from that to the point where you can’t see it anymore. I used the colors green, blue, and purple to paint the guitars, which looked really awesome. All in all, the collage was a success, and I think I deserve an A+.

I recently made a collage out of magazine clippings and mod- podge. I want people to see my personality in my work. We used an important method for this, first we got a canvass, and then we got a magazine, mode-podge, and scissors. We cut out pictures put mod-podge on the canvass then put the picture on and covered the picture and repeated this until it was covered. Then we used a paint called Gesso over stencils that we made. After that dried we painted over the Gesso. And that was our project. -ARLO-

The theme of my collage was some of the elements of art which are shape, line, and color also outside natural things and outside man made things. My audience saw that my collage was like an illusion because of how I position the shapes and lines that I painted on top of the collage. To make a collage you need a canvass, some magazines, glue, paint, brush, and a piece of paper. First you cut the pictures you want for your collage out of your magazine. Second you take the glue and glue the picture you want to the spot you want and repeat this till you have covered the whole space. Make sure you put a layer of glue on top of the magazine cut outs when you paste them on. Third you cut out a design you like and paint gesso over the place where the paper isn’t and let it dry. Fourth you use paint to paint on the dried gesso and then you’re done. I got the inspiration of outside because I just love going outside playing with friends and camping.

By: WRCL

Artist Statement For my collage, I made it so there were lots of cool colors. I want the audience to see that I uniquely made the bottom right hand corner have all of the darker cool colors, and slowly get lighter as you move towards the upper right hand corner. Also in my collage, I used a lot of small magazine clippings instead of a few the big ones that everyone else used. First I started by cutting about 100 little magazine clippings and gluing them on the page, but it turned out they only covered half of the page, so I cut 100 more and they filled up the whole page. I think that the sun in the middle of my collage gives it emphasis, and having be painted with cool colors, it reflects the colors of the magazine clippings. While I was doing my art homework the night before, and I drew a sun and liked the sort of abstract design that it had. I liked it so much that I used the sun design for my collage.

Artist Statement

In my artwork, I wanted to add things that I like the most. Horses, colors and flowers are just some to name a few. My favorite colors are aqua, lime green, plum and yellow. I added those items to show what I like. I put a couple pictures of horses because I ride them and I put pictures of home designs because I like decorating rooms with bright colors. I added scenes of outdoor gardens and patios because they look calm and relaxing.

This art work was supposed to have all the shades of purple fade into each other and make an ark. But then while I was painting, I decided to not do the ark and just fade each shade of purple into each other.

My piece of artwork, The Colored Bridge, was totally centered on the picture of the bridge, & the soles of the golf shoes. The rest of the art work is designed to draw your eye to these 4 pictures. To make this beautiful piece of artwork, I took a few magazines & cut out the bridge, the soles of shoes & then just solid color & made a collage. After, that I made a stencil & painted over the collage. The art works perfectly to bring your attention to the bridge.

My artwork is called “Crazy Comic Collage”. The theme of my work is comics and color. I wanted audiences to see color, movement, animation and texture. I used paint, magazines and gesso. The steps that I used were-

1.)Cut out

2.)Paste

3.)Paint over with Gesso

4.)Paint

5.)Paint with silver paint

I try to bring in things that people like – comics, color and writing. Also, people like action and movement, which I also tried to bring in. I have a lot of influences. One influence is animation. I love watching how each character is drawn and colored, also computer animation is fun to see. Overall this project was fun and I had a lot of inspiration.

BSLI

My picture has stars in it.  The United States is on my picture, also.  The color blue is a color I really like.  I really enjoyed doing this activity

First, we picked out pictures from magazines and cut them out. Then, we glued them to the canvas with mod podge. I put a map of the United States on it. After that, we treated the canvas with gesso, and painted with acryllic paint.

In my artwork I used horses in my collage because I wanted it to be based on things I like. I wanted my audience to see that I like to ride horses and that they are magnificent animals. I used magazines to cut out the pictures, then I used modge podge® to glue them on. Finally, I used paint to paint on the first initial of my name. I also like green and orange together and that’s what I painted the M. I think that my artwork turned out very successful because it turned out how I wanted it to. That’s what inspired my artwork.

Artist Statement

The basis of my collage is from the colors and the words and feelings of joy. I was looking through magazines with home improvements in it and crafts. There were scenes like a car with a sign on the back saying, just married, and lots of flowers surrounding it. I want people to brighten up when they see it. For example if they were sad, become happy, seeing the colorful pictures and flowers. In order to create this I had to cut out many pictures that met my theme from a magazine, and then glue them onto a canvas with mod-podge. After, I put gesso onto the spaces where I wanted the words joy to be. When it dried I put yellow paint on the white gesso. I was inspired by color and lively things. Something that made my piece successful was the blending of the colors and the way the text stood out from the rest of the collage. I was glad my finished product can out the way it did because the yellow really went with the back ground colors. And I hope that by using these colors it will make people happy and better. TJJO

Artist statement

The title of my collage is PSJA in a box

The theme of my collage is tropical colors and silver for the foreground while in the background I have darker colors. Things I would want other people to see through my work would be color and texture. Materials I used were mod podge, gesso, paint, and magazines.