Copyright (c) 2014 by MHEL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MHEL -- Blogmeister

MHEL

Class of 2012-2013

by MHEL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Title: Math Letter / Module 1 (10/23/09)
Description: Student letter to parents/guardians describing math in Module 1.

Module 1

Dear Dad,

I am going to be telling you about module 1 that we learned in math class I will tell you about 3 different parts of it. probability, pemdas, and frequency tables. First I will tell you about probability then pemdas then frequency tables. OK, lets get going.

We learned about probability and how to find it out soo... lets say you had a bag of jolly ranchers and there were lets say 10 blue raspberry 7 cherry, 9 grape, 5 watermelon, and 3 apple we put them all in the paper bag. There are 34 jolly ranchers in all. You have 2 trails one 34 times the second 68 you pull 5 blue, 4 cherry, 4 grape, 3 watermelon, and 1 apple. So probability for this example would be for trial on for lets say cherry 7/34 ,blue 10/34,apple 3/34, grape 9/34, 5/34 for watermelon. So the probability is how many out of your total would you choose that flavor. So that's all about probability now lets move on to pemdas.

Pemdas is actually parentheses exponents, multiplication, division, addition subtraction.

This is the order you would do an equation like lets use this equation. 9x(6+5)-9 first do the 6+5 and that's 11 then 9x11= 99 then 99-9=90. pemdas is so you get the right order its the way to find the answer and that's pemdas!

Frequency tables are used for surveys like if you were taking a survey on favorite colors and you have to have 3 columns one would be color the other would be tally's and and the last column would be frequency they separate all the information we collect. So after that we know we can use a frequency tables often.

So now that I've told you about these strategies maybe you can use them in your daily life.

Love,

brco

Dear Mom and Dad,

My class has just finished learning about module 1 in the textbook. In Module 1 we reviewed many subjects including the order of operations, bar and line graphs, and probability. Module 1 allowed us to re-enforce our knowledge about many basic subjects. During Module 1 we conducted many experiments so that we would have a firm understanding of various subjects.

The order of operations is a rule that allows us to organize complex math problems. When following the rules of the order of operations, this is the order in which you must solve the math problem, parenthesis – exponents – multiplication – division – addition – and subtraction. When you come across a math problem with either multiplication and division or addition and subtraction, it is important to solve the problem from left to right. We learned about the order of operations in class by evaluating various problems in the math textbook.

In the beginning of module 1 we learned about when to use a bar or line graph. It is important to use a bar graph when graphing data that can be divided into distinct categories. You have to use a line graph when the data changes over time. We learned about the different types of graphs by collecting and graphing information during class. We were also given a take home quiz where we had to find a graph, and analyze it. Knowing when to use a bar or line graph is very important.

Probability is a measurement used to predict the chance of something happening. There are two types of probability; theoretical, and experimental. Theoretical probability is the chance of something happening according to theory. Experimental probability is the chance of something happening according to your experiment. We learned about these subjects by finding the experimental and theoretical probability of many experiments, including flipping coins, tossing dice, and spinning a spinner. We used data tables to show our information.

Thank you for taking the time to read about what I have been learning about in math class!

Thanks Again,

LRAS

Dear Dad, For this module all we really did was review the same exact stuff that we learned last year, mostly just patterns and the order of operations, and a little algebra. However, we did learn the more advanced vocabulary that we did not use last year.Overall, we learned pretty much nothing. If a had to pick one favorite part of the module than it would probably be the order of operations, just because I got a little bit of a challenge in it. Besides that, nothing new was actually learned, we learned about PEMDAS, which means that we go in the order of Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and finally Addition and Subtraction. My least favorite part of the unit was definitely learning about patterns, because it was way too long of a chapter for something that we learned last year. All we really did anyway was learn what everything was called, which was the first thing we ever learned last year. We also learned about probability, which was a little bit interesting, but not a whole lot. There are basically two types of probability: theoretical probability is what will probably happen, and experimental probability is what did happen.On the subject of probability, we did a small project on finding the probability of a random event, like picking a gumball out of a bag, or flipping a coin 100 times. What my partner and I did was very simple, and stupid. We built a pair of industrial tweezers out of two 12 inch rulers, and taped them together. We then filled a bag with skittles and gumballs, and proceded to pick a candy 40 times. In the end, we figured that the more you do an experiment, the closer the experimental probability gets to the theoretical probability. Other people did experiments like ours, such as picking guitar picks and spinning a colored wheel. The one thing that the experiments taught us was that the more you conduct an experimentm the closer the experimental probability gets to the theoretical.Throughout the module we also did portfolio points, or practice activites that had to accumulate 100 points or more throughout the module. That was pretty much it for module 1, and next module will be much more interesting, because it is based completely on problem solving. Sincerely, LHDR

Dear Mom,

In this letter you will learn what I have learned in the 7th grade math module #1 from line and bar graphs to, order of operations and everything in between.

I have learned about line and bar graph,tables,and frequency charts. We had to cut graphs out of the newspaper and tell what the graph was saying. I found this unit easy.

Now we have moved onto learning about Venn Diagrams and problem solving. We used Venn Diagrams in other classes too, so it is interesting that we are also using them in math.

LJSH

Dear Mom,

In Math we have been working on very importing things that were going to use in the future. like bar graph/line graph, Probability, frequency table. In the letter I'm going to show you about all of those things and talk about what we did.

The first thing I'm going to talk about is bar graph/line graph. We used frequency tables to show information on are graph. And then we had to decide whether we should use a bar or line we learn that we use line graph hen you show long time and bar graph to show category's like favorite color or sport. There are many ways you could use a line/bar graph this is just some.

The next thing I'm going to talk about is probability. Probability is use when you need to find a chance of some thing happening. For example if there was 1 red cube, 2blue cubes, and 1 orange cube the chance of getting a red is ¼, blue is ½, and orange is ¼ , so there a 50% chance that it will be blue and a 50% chance that it will be red or orange. Probability can be very useful to predict the future but it is not always 100% accurate its more like 70% accurate.

The 3rd and finally thing I'm going to talk about is about frequency tables. Frequency tables can be used in every thing I talk about. You use a frequency table to show data like how many times you get heads or tales. You tally how many times you get heads and tails. After that you could put it on a graph to see it clearly. There are lots of other ways you could use frequency tables.

Hope you enjoy my letter there was a lot I learn in this module this is just 3 things out of 10 things I learn like order of operations.

Thanks For Reading

H.R.M.A

My Code Name

Dear, Mom and Nana

I have learned a lot of new things this year in math class. In module one I learned exponents and what the exponential form and standard form was and also what the difference between them was. Exponential form is when you have a number and you have a smaller number above, which clarifies that it's in exponential form. Standard form is when you have the number written out. Example: 2x2x2x2=16.

My favorite thing I learned about was probability. Probability is a number from 0- 1 that tells us how likely an event is to happen. I learned what theoretical probability was and what experimental probability was. Theoretical probability is whats suppose to happen. Experimental probability is what the experiment turns out to be.

Another one of my favorite things I learned was PEMDAS. In math class our teacher had us listen to a math song that was about pemdas. Most of our class mates didn't like the song but I liked it. I thought it was very interesting.

Those are all the things I learned this year in module one. Thanks for reading.

Dear Mom,

I am going to tell you what I learned in7th grade math class. I feel like I understand it better then last years class. The bar graph assignment was something I enjoyed. We had to find a bar graph in the newspaper and then you had to answer questions about the graph. I picked out a graph that was easy to read and the questions were easy for me to answer. The other thing I like doing are frequency tables, because it is fun for me and I am good at that. A frequency table is when you count up the number of times something happens and then you make a chart. For example, you could pick different colors of marbles out of a bag. Next,you would record them on a table and then you can see how many times you pulled certain colors out of the bag. The other thing I like is term and term#.I like it because it is easy for me this year, and I am getting better at it .I really like exponents too, because there are fun and easy for me. An exponent is the little number that tells you how many times to multiply a number by itself. I dislike the algebra part because the numbers confuse me. I will do the problem sometimes and then I get it wrong. It does not happen all the time but I need help sometimes to finish these problems. I hope you like the letter I wrote to you. I hope you have an idea of what I am doing in math this year!      Love, lske

-To Whom it May Concern-

I will be explaining to you what we have been learning in the past module in Math class.(module 1)

The first major thing we learned about is graphs. We learned the workings of a proper line &

bar graph inside-out. By the end, we could graph almost any data that was given to us. Bar graphs are better for comparing multiple amounts of data. Line graphs are best for seeing the growth/shrinkage of data over time, such as the stocks.

Next, was probability. We studied this by using cards, dice, coins, and computer simulations to test what should happen, and what really happened. What could happen Is called theoretical probability.

What did happen is called experimental probability. Say that you have a bag of fifty marbles, 25 of them are black, and 25 of them are red. You pick 25 of them. Theoretical probability says that out of every two draws, one should be red. P(r)=12.5/25=1/2. What really happened= thirteen out of the 25 draws turned out to be red. That's very close to the what the theoretical probability said it should be.

Last was the order of operations. The order of operations are: Parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, or PEMDAS for short. To study PEMDAS we did problems with a mix of parentheses and exponents thrown in. To complete the problem correctly, you have to abide by the order of operations. We also created our own problems using PEMDAS.

Those were the main things we've been doing here in module 1. Looking forward to module 2.

Sincerely, LRSE

Dear, mom and dad I am sending this letter to you about what I have been learning in math class last semester. These things have been really easy for me. The fun things for me have been easy but interesting like algebra and exponents. The things that have not been fun this semester are finding the difference between the term and term number and putting it into an algebraic term. So that is what I am talking about in my letter. In last semester it has been really easy I don't know why but my guess is that its going to be like this all year. I am not very challenged int this class but some of the things are interesting. These are the things we studied in the last semester analyzing graphs, making frequency tables, putting patterns and sequences into tables and graphs, finding areas of a square, finding the volume of a cube, finding experimental and theoretical probabilities. It seems like we did a lot but if your in the class its not very much work because we have math class every day for at least 45 minutes a day. The difference between theoretical and experimental probability is theoretical probability is what should happen like say there are four colors on a spinner wheel and you spin it twenty times you should get one color five times and experimental probability is what does happen so same scenario so you will probably get one color more times than another color. The one thing we probably spent the most time in in math class is experimenting with graphs because graphs are one of the biggest things in math for instance the world wide stock exchange which is a easy way to make money watching a graph. That's what I learned in math class this semester. -from, hhma

Dear Mom and Dad,

In math class we just finished Module 1 in our textbook. In the module we learned all kinds of new things. The ones I like the most were probability, creating bar graphs using frequency tables and order of operations.

We did many activities involving probability. Like picking cubes out of a brown paper bag, rolling dice and others. The one I liked the most was the one when we either worked alone or with a partner. I worked with a partner and we had to create a portability experiment. We called it bit size math. We picked skittles out of a bag 140 times. We made a frequency table of our results.

The class also learned how to do create bar graphs using frequency tables. We did a take home quiz which we had to find a graph and answer questions about it. Like what is the graph about, what information was displayed on the vertical axis and what decision can the graph help a person make.

We also created frequency tables with information that we surveyed from the class. Then we created bar graph based on the information we found from the class.

We also learned more about order of operations. I was familiar with order of operations already but I was introduced to brackets. Ms. Harte let us listen to a song to help us remember the order of operations. One of ways to help you remember it is PEMDAS p for parenthesis, e for exponents, m for multiplication, d for division, a for addition and s for subtraction. The class did many small activities involving order of operations.

Over all throughout this first module I think I learned a lot.

Love,

HJOL

Dear parents,

In math class we just finished module 1 and I am going to tell you the stuff we learned in module 1. Well before I start, lets just say that you are going to be very proud about the things that I have learned.

Well in the beginning of the year we were learning about frequency tables. They are very easy to make, just put the subjects in a spot on the table then count out how many there are and tally them then count how many there are for each one and right down the number. Sometimes they can even be fun to make.

Later we learned about probability it isn't the greatest topic to learn about but it was okay. We learned about experimental and theoretical probability. We played probability simulator games on the computer which was a little fun. We also played a game called the difference game which is about probability. It wasn't the easiest topic to learn about and not that fun to learn about either but it was alright.

In the end we learned about the order of operations also known as PEMDAS which is really fun to do and fun to learn about. It is really easy to do the problems but it is also really fun. We listened to this weird but catchy song about PEMDAS. I think the order of operations is probably the most fun thing that we learn about in math.

Well that's just a few things we learned about in module 1. Its a great start for the year and I know that it is going to get harder but if it fun to learn then it wont be as hard as it would normally be. Have a good day and I hoped you enjoyed my letter and liked what I learned about in math class.

Sincerely, HRTY

Article posted October 28, 2009 at 01:25 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 64

Dear Sister,

In math class I learned how do a lot. We have done a lot with number sentences like order of operations and how to make equations replacing numbers with letters. The other thing we learned was probability.

I learned how to do algebra by taking shape patterns and number sequences and finding a equation using N and T. An example would be T=6xN+1. I also learned how to add exponents to the equation. For example you could take the 6 and make it 6 to the 2nd power.

We also learned probability. We learned how to pick cubes out of a bag. We learned how to figure out theoretical probability and how to make a frequency table. The problems we did gave us the amount of items and we had to calculate what the probability that each category.

The last thing we learned was order of operations we learned how to use brackets and parenthesis and exponents. I think the order of operations should really be pemdas because you do brackets before multiplication and division. I hope you understand the explanations I have given you.

Sincerely,

GRKE

Parent-Teacher Letter

Dear mom,

we have been learning all about module 1 in our math textbooks. So in these next 3 paragraphs, I will be explaining all about frequency tables, sequences, and number tricks.

So the first thing we learned is a frequency table. A frequency table is a table that has to do with how frequent (many times) a thing happens or has. For example, if I was taking a survey on how many have pets, I might do how many people have dogs, cats, fish, no pets, and other. While I was surveying, I would have done tallies to keep me on track. After I was done, I would have tallied up the tallies and in another column, I would put the total amount of tallies in that column. So to make a frequency table, you collect the data, tally it, and put the total amount in the table, and that's how you make a frequency table.

The next thing we learned is how to do sequences. A sequence is a pattern that keeps going like 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20, etc. To make a sequence, all you have to do is simply make a pattern and to keep it going. For example, if I made a short pattern, (10,20,30) I could keep it going to make a sequence. (10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100 etc.) So to make sequence, all you need to do is make a pattern and keep it going. And if you want to, you could make the sequence into shapes if you wanted to.

The last thing we learned of was number tricks. Number tricks are tricks that you can do with any number or numbers and come out with the same number every time you do the trick with different numbers. For example, I'll give you a number trick and you can figure it out for yourself. (Think of a number, add 7, multiply by 5, subtract 5, divide by 5, subtract your original number, add 4, subtract 3, and your answer should be 7. So number tricks are nothing but little tricks so that you'll come out with the same thing every single time.

So over-all, we learned all about frequency tables, sequences, and number tricks in module 1. All of the students are very good at these math lessons and we are moving on to module 2 and we hope that our progress will improve.

MODULE ONE

Dear parents, 10/22/09

I have been learning many important math facts throughout the last module in my math class. I will give you three examples of what I've been learning.

In the first few weeks of school, I reviewed bar graphs and line graphs. I also analyzed a graph to understand how a graph works a bit more. Each graph has a horizontal axis and a vertical axis. It is better to use a line graph if you have a lot of information. This is because with a line, it can go up and down quite easily. With a bar graph, you can only have so much information displayed because it would get all jumbled up, and you would run out of room. So if you have more information, you should use a line graph, and if you have not too much info you should use a bar graph. I analyzed a graph by taking a graph from a newspaper, and answering questions about why a line graph or bar graph was used. So basically I studied each part of a line and bar graph during this module.

I have learned more about probability throughout studying this module. I now know more about theoretical probability and experimental probability. The way that I have discovered this is by doing certain experiments and finding out the probability of each event. For example, I used a spinner to determine the theoretical and experimental probability of spinning each color on the spinner. Say there was the color red on the spinner, and it took up ¼ of the spinner. Then the theoretical probability of spinning red would be ¼. If I span the spinner 50 times, and only got red 35 times, the experimental probability would be 35/50 or 7/10. We also did an experiment with probability. What I did is I put 24 different colored skittles in a bag. I put in 6 yellow, 5 red, 4 green, 5 purple, and 5 oranges. I figured out the theoretical probability and the experimental probability of pulling out each color.

The most recent thing that I learned about was the order of operations, also known as PEMDAS. In the word PEMDAS, the P stands for parentheses, which means that any equation in parentheses would be done first, then the E stands for exponents, M is multiplication, D is division, A is addition, and S is subtraction. The way that we learned the order of operations was by practicing each day different problems involving the order of operations. Even though the order of operations was not new to me, I still learned even more about it than I have ever known.

In this first half of the first semester, I have learned so much already! This module has been great!

Sincerely,

CSMA

Article posted October 28, 2009 at 02:52 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 54

Dear Dad,

Hi Dad! It's Rhbr! I'm at school right now writing this letter for a math project. The idea is to write about everything we've learned about this year so far in math class with Mrs. Harte. We kind of did a lot of reviewing at first, but it was pretty useful because I didn't remember a lot of it. It was also nice because that way we got to sort of start of the year a little easy at first. One of the first things we kicked off the year with was analyzing bar, point and line graphs. A lot of times we would look at why a bar graph is a bar graph and not a line graph and vice versa, based on the information the graphs displayed. After we did that for a while we worked a lot on frequency tables, which was something new. We did pattens, sequences, and algebraic equations to figure out the rule, which we displayed in the table. We also did a lot of exponents-- squaring area and cubing volume, as well as a little bit of binary numbers, which was confusing at first but then it got simpler. The practice for exponents was useful, too. But I think they're really annoying and tricky. Another interesting thing we worked on was number tricks. There was one where you punch in your phone number on a calculator and you perform a lot of tricks and because you multiply it by a fraction, it shrinks when you multiply and grows when you divide, but it took a while for us to realize that. Another part of the number tricks was that we would get a worksheet with different number tricks on it and we would solve them with 2 different base numbers, and then use a system of blocks (representing your base number) and circles (representing 1) and solve it. Later, we started using algebraic equations to solve them. The algebra made more sense to me. After that we moved onto probability, which was another review. We worked with experimental versus theoretical probability in most of what we did. We did some experiments with the color of blocks or names in a bag, and there was a website that we looked at with spinners and what colors appeared more depending on how many trials there were. We also did a partner project on theoretical versus experimental probability, which in my case was about the colors of M&M's vs. Skittles, which was fun. And right now we're finishing up a unit on order of operations, which was kind of interesting because I learned about brackets and fractions in it.

SYS

(That's texting talk for Sincerely, Your Son.)

Dear Mom and Dad,

We have learned a lot in math class! From graphs to order of operations, here's what we've learned so far this year.

We have learned about bar and line graphs. We used bar graphs for things such as surveys, data, and frequency charts. We used line graphs for things like data over a period of time. For example, stocks would be on a line graph, but favorite type of dog would be on a bar graph. To learn more about these, we had a assignment to find a graph and tell as much as we could about it. It was really fun!

Another thing we learned about was the order of operations, or PEMDAS. PEMDAS stands for Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction. That's the order we do operations. We even sang a song about it! A sentence in parenthesis would come before a multiplication sentence, but an addition problem would come after division. Brackets ([]) extend parenthesis if there is a problem that goes in parenthesis, but has another parenthesis in them. Here's an example of brackets.

[3+ ( 5+5)] +2

Another subject we learned about was probability. Probability is the chance of something happening. For example, if I said that there were ten candies in a bag and five of them were blue and five of them were red, the probability of picking red would be 5/10, or ½. We also learned about two other types of probability, experimental probability and theoretical probability. Theoretical probability is what should happen. If I asked what the chances were of picking a red candy out of a box that had 3 red, 5 blue, and 2 yellow, the theoretical probability is 3/10. If I asked you to pick a random candy in a bag without looking ten times, you might get a different answer, which is experimental probability. Experimental probability is what actually happens. If you did it ten times, you may have gotten a blue seven times, a red twice and a yellow once.

Math class has been fun! I don't think I've disliked anything. I hope you found this letter useful. I can't wait to see what we do next!

Sincerely,

LSGA

Dear Dad,

In this letter, I am going to explain what we have been doing in math class so far. Well, we have just finished module one. Most of it was just a review from last year, so it was pretty simple. The main things we went over were analyzing bar and line graphs, patterns and sequences, probability, and the Order of Operations. We also did a little bit of algebra.

My favorite part of the module was doing experiments on probability. There are two types of probability: theoretical and experimental. Theoretical probability is what should happen in an experiment, and experimental probability is what does happen. So, say I was going to do an experiment with picking marbles from a bag, and I had 4 red marbles, 4 blue marbles, and 4 green marbles. Then the theoretical probability of picking red would be four twelfths or one third. But, the experimental probability might be something different. Okay so, maybe I did the experiment 24 times, and I got 9 blue marbles, 7 red marbles, and 8 green marbles. Then the experimental probability of getting red would be seven twenty-fourths. We did a project like this where we got to choose our topic. My project was egg-picking. I drew 4 different faces on 12 eggs. There were 3 happy eggs, 3 sad eggs, 3 surprised eggs, and 3 angry eggs.

My least favorite part of the module was probably analyzing bar and line graphs because it was boring and easy. I mean, all we did was look at a graph and answer questions about it. There's not much more to say about analyzing graphs so I'm going to talk about the Order of Operations next.

The Order of Operations is a way to figure out problems with more than one operation. So if you had a problem that was 4+(1-2)/3, you couldn't just do it from right to left to right. There's a certain order and that order is the Order of Operations. So, what is that order you might ask? Well, it's:

Parentheses

Exponents

Multiplication and Division

Additon and Subtraction

OR

PEMDAS! A good way to remember it is Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. Or as a fellow class mate once said: Please Execute My Darn Aunt Sally

Well, that's all I have to say about this Module!

Bye For Now,

~HSJO~

Dear Sister,

I'm writhing to you today because its for a assignment for math class and I wanted to let you know what I'm doing in class. What I've been learning in math this module is how to make frequency tables and the order of operations. Frequency tables give you information for bar graphs or line graphs. A table could be about one thing or five different things like colors and coins. With colors it could have lots of different colors or categories in the table. Where in coins every coin is the same. You can also have a sequence in a table by having terms and term number to make an equation like T=N+2.

I am also learning about the order of operations. The order of operations is spelled out to help students remember it. Its called PEMDAS! Teachers also sometimes get songs about the subject we are learning. PEMDAS stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction which are called the operations. You might ask yourself why the put it in as one word? They do that because of the order they have to go in. Order of Operations! The last thing we have been learning about is bar graphs and line graphs. How are these two graphs different? These graphs are different because a bar graph can have more than one categories when a line graph has one category and is usually about something over a certain period of time. Sincerely, DSLA

Dear, Brother

I am writing this to you because my math teacher thinks we should write a letter about what we have been learning in module one of our math book. So we have been learning about, bar graphs, line graphs, analyzing a graph, frequency tables, number tricks, variables, algebra, patterns and sequences, tables and graphs, equations, terms and term numbers in frequency tables, exponents, exponential form, standard form, area, perimeter, volume, probability (theoretical and experimental),- we put names in a bag, cubes in a bag, a computer simulation, our own experiment that we got to make up, and we learned more about the order of operations, and we listened to a song about it.

My favorite part about the module was number tricks, probability, and order of operations. I liked number tricks because they are fun to do and I liked how the number tricks always work and that you could start with a number and then it would end up being your age in the end. Try doing this, start with your age, multiply by 4,divide by 2, subtract your age and what is your answer? I liked probability because it was really easy for me, and it was fun to do. The order of operations has always been something that I liked to do, I like it when I am challenged because I like to see how good i am at it and to see how fast I can go. But the order of operations is just fun for me, and a lot of the problems are really easy for me.

I didn't like the graphs that we had to do. The first thing we did with graphs was we had a take home quiz and we had to find a graph so that we could fill out the sheet that my teacher gave me. I didn't like it because it was a little bit boring and I already knew just about everything. I also didn't like exponents. I didn't like exponents because I don't like doing the big numbers like that, and I don't like how you have to have it in exponential or standard form. But other than that math and school are going well, and I have an A in math right now. Love, dsno

Dear mom and dad, I am writing this letter to tell you what we have done in math class. We have studied a lot of subjects in module 1 and I want to tell you about them. We have studied bar graphs, line graphs, number tricks, patterns and sequences, exponents, probability, and order of operations. I will explain three subjects that we learned and hopefully you will understand them. When we were studying exponents we found the area of a cube, the volume of a cube and square roots. We also studied exponential form and standard form. Exponential form is when a multiplication problem is just simplified. If the problem is 5x5x5x5 you could simplify it by doing 5 to the 4th power which is a 5 with a little four right after it. Standard form for the problem above would be 5x5x5x5 and exponential form would be 5 to the 4th power. The little number is the amount of time the first number appears in the problem. When we were studying Probability in class we put a name in a bag and we picked them out one by one and we had to find the probability of what the chance a girl will be pick a chance that a boy will be pick and other chances. We also put three different colored cubes in a bag and we had to decide how many of each color is in the bag based on probability. We did computer simulations about the probability of picking rolling or flipping a certain outcome. We played games that had to do with probability and we created our own game. There are two types of probability and they are theoretical probability and experimental probability. Theoretical probability is what should happen and experimental probability is what does happen. We also learned the order of operations. If is the order you should go in when you have a problem that is complicated. I remember it by using a mnemonic device that is PEMDAS. It stands for Parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, then addition and subtraction. That is how I remember the order of operations. When we were studying the order of operations Mrs. Harte (our math teacher) showed us a really funny song. That is what we did in math class. These are some things that we have learned in math class. We have learned a lot of new things and have done a lot of fun projects. I hope you like my letter. Sincerely, Your daughter

Dear Mom, Mom we have been learning a lot in math. We have covered so much that I want to tell you all about what we have been learning in 7th grade math. The first thing we learned was Bar graphs and line graphs. Also how to analyze graphs. Learning if we should make it a line graph or a bar graph. Another thing is exponents, I like doing exponents, they are not bad. Exponents are shortening a really long problem, say two to the fifth power. We have been learning about probability also. There is a couple of things we did on probability, we put names in a bag of our class and pulled each one out and found its probability. There was theoretical and experimental probability. We have done lots of equations, like term and term numbers. Another thing that we have been learning in math is sequences, and finding what will be the next sequence. When we are learning something new we usually get to play a game to understand what is going on and help us with key concepts. Also we are learning about squares, cubes, and finding the area. With cubes it is finding the volume. We have learned so much in math class and we are going to keep going, we are all done with module 1. I can not wait to tell you about what will be happening in module 2. Love, BSVI

Dear Parents, In my math class in module one I learned a lot of things, mainly divided up into 6 areas. Graphs, number sequences, number tricks, exponents, probability, and order of operations. In the graphs unit we learned about bar graphs, line graphs, and how to tell the difference between them. It was a unit that bled into the second area, number patterns. Number patterns are just patterns in numbers. For example, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21. What is the pattern? You simply add 3, although the patterns we did in class were much more difficult so don't expect our math class to be in in cakeland or whatever. The third area we covered was the number tricks area. Take a number, add 3, multiply it by 2, add four, divide by 2, and subtract your original number. Is your answer 5? If its not, then you did it wrong! The fourth area was exponents, which is a number that tells you how many times to multiply a number by itself, but you probably already know how they work, so I won't dwell on that. The fourth area we covered, which was pretty important, was probability. Suppose you roll a die. How likely is it that you roll a one? That is called probability, and is extended to all random events. Our class did experiments with that, and I worked with *ahem* my partner on our “eggsperiment”. The final area, last but not least, was order of operations, which is the order in which you do longer equations. 9+8x2 would equal 25, not 34, because of the order of operations, and PEMDAS, an acronym for parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, which is the order in which yo do the problem. I hope you had a good time learning about what I am doing in this unit, but I can just to you about it at home so I won't write any more. Sincerely, BHMA

Article posted October 28, 2009 at 01:23 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 51

Dear Mom, In math class we have learned a lot from module one in the math books, and now I am going to teach you some things I've learned. I have picked three topics that I liked more than some, but they are all pretty good. The first topic that I liked was probability. Say that there were ten marbles in a bag, and there were four different colored marbles. There were six white marbles, two red marbles, one black marble, and one blue marble. A question could be... What is the probability of picking a red marble? The answer would be...2/10 of a chance of picking a red marble. Ms. Harte did something with us like that, but she used names on pieces of paper and different colored cubes. Another topic that we learned, and or practiced was the order of operations. I liked that because it was fun to multiply, divide, add, and subtract. We used PEMDAS to help us remember it a little better. P is for parenthesis...E is for exponents...M is for multiplication...D is for division...A is for addition...and S is for subtraction. An example would be......4 x (3 + 8) – 5 = 39. Parenthesis comes first, exponents comes second, multiplication and division...you do it from left to right, and addition and subtraction comes from left to right. We also worked on algebra, I liked that because it was fun to learn and do. An example for the algebra would be...T=4N + 6. The T is the term, the 4n is how term numbers, so the term number four times, and then plus six. These are some topics from module one that I liked. And hopefully I can teach you. Sincerely, WJAU

Dear Mom,

This module we have learned many new and interesting things like probability, number tricks, frequency tables, and more.

One of the first things we learned about math were line and bar graphs. We did a lot of things with graphs. I also learned when to use a bar graph or line graph. You use a bar graph for categories and a line graph to show trends over time . Then we got a take home quiz called Analyze a Graph. We had to cut out a line or bar graph out of the newspaper or a magazine, glue it onto a piece of paper, and answer questions about it.

Next, we started studying frequency tables. We did some questions in the book about them like what they are, how to make them, and how they help us. We also started the unit on probability. We studied theoretical probability, experimental probability, did a probability project, and too many more things to count! We did something called names in a bag where Mrs. Harte but all the names of the people in the class in a bag and whoever was picked first and whoever was picked last got 10 math points. The winners were PJCH, who was picked first and WRCL, who was picked last. Even though I didn't win, it was a lot of fun.

We also did something called cubes in a bag where Mrs. Harte put cubes in a bag and we recorded what she picked each time on a frequency table and at the end, we had to guess how many cubes there were of each color based on the information on the frequency table. Also in probability, we did an experiment. I did mine with WRCL. It was about picking Jolly Ranchers out of a bag and finding both the theoretical and experimental probability of each flavor. I was a lot of fun and we got a yummy treat after!

I really enjoyed studying Module 1. I learned a lot and I had fun!

From,

SHBR

Article posted October 26, 2009 at 01:53 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 65

Module One

Dear parents, 10/22/09

In math we are learning to do a lot of things. Some things are totally new and other things I know most about. Some of my favorite things that we learned are line graphs, bar graphs, and order of operations. Some of my least favorite things are probability, and volume of a cube.

My favorite thing about a line graph was taking it from a frequency table and then making a graph out of it. We graphed a lot of things that were in out math books, but some things were not in our books. We learned about bar graphs at the same time that we were learning about line graphs too. The bar graphs were almost the same as the line graphs only instead of using a dot you use bars

Another one of my favorite things was order of operations. The order of operations is P.E.M.D.A.S. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. For example (2+4) x 300- 250+ 80, you would first do 2+4 because it is in parentheses. Second since there is no exponents you would do the multiplication or division which would be the x300. Lastly you would do addition or subtraction so -250 or +80. That is the Order of Operations.

I liked almost everything that we did in math class but some things I did not like. One of them was the number tricks. I thought that they were kind of hard at first, but then I began to understand them more. Once I started to understand them then I liked them a little more. I also think that I didn't like then because it seemed like we stayed on that subject for a while (but we really didn't).

So far we have learned a lot of things in module one in math class. Some things were totally new and other things we just reviewed. Most of the things were fun like PEMDAS, and the line and bar graphs. Thank you for reading what I have learned in Module one in math class!

Sincerely,

LHAL

Dear Dad

This year so far math has been mostly a review for me. From line graphs to order of operations I've really only learned two things. Math has been really easy and only two problems really challenged me.

The first things we learned about was bar graphs, line graphs, and frequency tables. Bar graphs and line graphs I knew about and that was very easy. Frequency tables were slightly harder because it was a concept we worked less on in 5th and 6th grade. We worked on # tricks after that and while it might have been a bit harder for the rest of the kids, I learned about it with my parents and Mrs. Harte. After that we did patterns which was in the same boat as the #tricks.

Next we had exponents, probability, and order of operations. I'm going to skip probability and give it it's own paragraph. Exponents seemed ridiculously easy (though not as easy as the graphs). We had spent a lot of time on exponents in 6th grade. Order of operations was harder (a little bit) because we learned about brackets and fraction symbols.

We spent a lot of time on probability and learned a bit about simulations. We also did things with a bag of cubes and a bag of names. We learned about theoretical and experimental probability. We also did a project on probability. My project was a lot harder than everybody elses. I took a 4,6,10,and 20 sided dice.,  then I put them all in a bag and randomly chose and rolled one dice. After that I came up with the probability of rolling every # 1-20

So, so far through this year it has basically been one big review.

Sincerely, LRTU

Dear Sister,

I have sent you this letter because I want to tell you what I have/am learning in Math class.

We have learned what type of information to make a graph out of. Like, if you were doing the change in weather in cities, you would make it a line graph. And if you were doing favorite types of ice cream it would be a bar graph. And we've learned to analyze the data from graphs too.

We've worked on sequences and patterns and learned how to make them into tables and how to graph them. How to turn them into algebra equations. Like T=n+3. So we'd take block patterns and make a sequence for them.

We've worked on probability like, putting cubes in a bag and tallying how many times a certain colored cube comes up. And we would make tables out of that information. Another probability game that we played was when ms. Harte had everyone in my classes names in a bag and shook it and gave math points to whom ever was picked first and last out of the bag. I wasn't chosen.

That's some of what we've been learning in math class this term. I'm pretty sure you learned it last year or it refreshed your memory.

Your sister,

Drco

Dear Mom, I have learned so much in math this year for module one. I already knew a lot of them but some of them I have gotten a lot better at. Ms. Harte helps us with a lot of things that we get stuck, so, so far I haven't had any problems in difficult areas. Like last year I really didn't understand how to do the order of operations. This year we got to even got to hear a song thaw was awesome. Order of operations got a lot easier and my test scores for it were really good. The brackets for me were new but I got the hang of them because of all the activities we did. Frequency table last year were also very hard for me. So we had much practice using graphs and certain activities to understand probability in so many different ways. My friend and I worked on a project together about experimental probability and theoretical probability. I have gotten a lot of good test scores because of only really doing reviews. I look forward to you reading this. Sincerely, Your Son

Dear Dad,

In Math class my grade has just finished Module 1. It was a good unit with lots of learning and games. We went through some really fun things too. Some of my favorites were our probability unit, computing with exponents, and the order of operations unit.

Our probability unit was fun. We had games that we had played to help us solve probability. One game that we played was putting all of our names in a bag. Then, we pulled out the names one-by-one. The first and the last names got 10 Math points. I was second to last and so close. Every time we took a name out of the bag we would say the fraction out loud. Then when it was just another person and me, everyone stated the probability of who it would be. We also worked on experimental and theoretical probability. We did an experiment on it. I chose to do a project on dice. I would role two dice and take the smaller number away from the bigger one. I would use the sum for my tally. I showed what I thought would happen (theoretical) and what did happen (experimental.)

When we did computing with exponents I really learned a lot. It really cleared up my understanding of exponents. We did a lot of exponent work sheets. For example 5 to the second power is 5 times 5, which is 25. This unit really helped me practice and nail down the technique. We did drills so that we would know how to write in Standard and Exponential form. Standard form is when you take the exponent and and write in regular form (Example = 4 to the 2nd power is 16.) Exponential form is when you take a number sequence and write it as an exponent (Example = 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 is 3 to the fourth power.) This unit was good and very helpful.

The Order of Operations unit was my favorite unit. We learned the order of operation last year, so we reviewed it this year, and learned more advanced things. We learned how to do the order of operations in a fraction. We also earned how to do the order of operations wit exponents. In class we would do fun races in with larger problems. The factions were tricky at first, but once you got them down they became fun. The order of operations is Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction. -Otherwise know is PEMDAS. We had a song about the order of operations and PEMDAS, it was really funny.

Overall this Module was good and brought on challenges and fun activities. I hope you enjoyed this letter covering Probability, Exponents, and the Order of Operations.

Sincerely,

BSLI

Dear Mom and Dad,

In math we learned about graphs. I made a bar graph on my computer. I counted how many colors of cubes I had. I had red, yellow, orange, blue and black cubes. I opened up Excel on my computer and clicked on graph, and when I put my numbers and colors in, it made a graph. I am learning subtraction, too. Subtraction is kind of hard. I am practicing with blocks, money and counting pictures of things on worksheets. I am having a hard time remembering how to figure out what the answer is in subtraction.

I am also practicing with money. I know how much pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters are worth. I know that there are five pennies in a nickel, ten in a dime, and twenty-five in a quarter. I am using the coins to practice addition and subtraction. It’s a little hard sometimes, but I’m doing my best!

Ms. S has been helping me practice my shapes. I know triangles, squares, rectangles, hexagons, and even more! We play a game and I have to tell her the name of all the shapes. I try to get the answer right. I make some mistakes, but I work through it.

The most important thing I have learned in math class is that it’s OK to make mistakes. I know I can fix them. When you make mistakes and fix them it’s called problem solving. I know that everyone makes mistakes, and that’s part of life. It’s all a part of learning.

Love,

JSHA

Dear Mom,

In Math we have been learning about a lot of things but I'm going to tell you about three of them. They are probability, Order of Operations and number tricks.

The number tricks are so fun and I actually made my own. In the problems you pick a number and go down the line and it tells you to either add subtract multiply or divide by a certain number. Sometimes it comes out to be your same number that you picked before or maybe they pick a certain number to finish on.

We also did Order of operations. An Easier way to say it is PEMDAS which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division,Addition, and Subtraction. That means that you do Parentheses first then Exponents then Multiplication or Division. Next you do either Addition or Subtraction. Its like that because you go from left to right and pemdas should really be spelled like this

P because you go from left to right with m,d and the left to right

E with a,s.

MD

AS

We also did probability. One thing that I want to talk about is the computer simulated games for probability. On the computer if you went on a certain website it would calculate it for you. You could use coins,spinners,dice,and cards. I was very fun and useful.

Those were some of the things that we learned in module 1 of math.

Love,

NJMA

Dear mum,

Hello. We have been learning a lot in math! We are learning theoretical and experimental probability. What that is, is theoretical probability means to know what a fraction is out of an amount of large numbers for example, if I have 30 guitar picks, and 10 of them were red, 9 of them were blue, and 11 of them were green, then my probability would be 20 over 60 for red, 18 over 60 for blue, and 22 over 60 for green because we would double the numbers. For an experimental probability, that would be you actually doing the experiment and then writing down what you got in a fraction form, for example, if I were to pick out of the same bag 60 times, and I got 20 reds, 30 greens and 10 blues, then it would be, 20 over 60 for red, 30 over 60 for green and 10 over 60 for blues. We would then compare our experiment probability with our theoretical probability and say the differences that we see. In this case, the differences are that we got 10 over 60 for blue and our theoretical probability was 8 away. For the green, we got 30 over 60, but for our theoretical probability it was 8 more than our theoretical probability. For the red we actually got the same amount for both our theoretical and experiment probability.

We have also been learning exponents. Exponents are simply only exponential form and standard form. Standard form is when you write out a whole problem. For example, 3x3x3 would be in standard form when you find the answer. Exponencial form is when you write it out in a shorter way. For example, 3 to the 3rd power. Then, you would solve it. It would be 18 for the answer.

We also worked on our graphs. We used bar graphs and line graphs. We worked on figuring out which graph to work on with different information. We took a take-home-test on graph's. We found out all of the information on them, and past it in about a week later. We looked at the map to find the vertical an horizontal sides name. It was a very good module.

Sincerely,

Whab

Dear Mom and Dad,

In the first module we did a lot of stuff similar to what I've been doing. It was kind of a review of the end of last year with some new fun things. We did a lot with with making tables into different types of graphs. The type of table we used to organize our data is called a frequency table. We used bar graphs and line graphs to turn those tables into something else. Bar graphs are good when you have a number representing on the vertical axis and usually a description or noun on the horizontal axis . Line graphs are a good way to put the stocks of a company into a graph, so you can see the increase and decrease.

In the beginning of the year we learned a lot about number tricks. They are a fun way to use math. We used them with shapes like circles and squares. We used them with variables and a little bit of algebra. One type was when you would take your home phone number and you would end up with it again. Number tricks was a fun way to do math.

We did a lot with probability. We learned about experimental probability and theoretical probability. Experimental probability is the amount of something actually happened. Theoretical probability is the amount of something that should happen. We used probability with, “Names In The Bag.” We all put our names in the bag and the first and the last people to get picked won. We counted the probability that a person would get picked. The probability was getting bigger after every pick.

In the first module we did a lot of things that make math fun. We did a lot more stuff than these things. I have to let you know the, “Math Song” was awesome. Everybody hated it, but me and Mark. The song was on the Order of Operations. I hope we do more fun things in the next module.

Love, WSRE

Dear Dad,

This is a letter about module 1 in math the paragraphs are gonna be kinda bad though because there has to be 3 of them. But I still have to do it so here goes...

In the early part of the module we learned about things like line graphs,analyzing a graph, and frequency tables . We also learned about patterns/sequences. Some examples of this are. that take-home quiz about graphs where you had to analyze a line graph. For frequency tables we had those txtbk. questions where you had to draw a frequency table . For sequences/patterns we had a few homeworks.

Later on in the module we learned about , variables,writing equations like T=N2-1, area, volume,and probability. Some examples of activities to help us understand these subjects are. For variables we used them for patterns and writing equations. For writing equations we used them to see if a pattern was always repeated and didn't stop or if it would break. Area wasn't really new to me but we did have a couple slightly challenging ones. Volume was definitely more challenging and we had some very hard problems. For probability we used a virtual spinner,deck of cards,coins and dice; we also did a probability project in which we had to give theoretical and experimental probability (I did mine w/ cat food!).

Lastly near the end of the module we learned about P.E.M.D.A.S. and problem solving. Here are some activities we used to enhance our learning experience. For P.E.M.D.A.S. we heard the order of operations song :(,we had to do a few worksheets and we also had a test on the order of operations. For problem solving all we really did were worksheets and text book questions.

Sincerely, psja.

Dear Mom and Dad,

This year in math class I have learned some new things. The first thing I learned in module one was how to interpret bar and line graphs, as well as learning how to make frequency tables. A frequency table is just a table where you record your data/ frequency that you find from your research or experiment. I have made data tables before so frequency tables were a review. The way you interpret graphs is pretty simple, all you have to do is look at a graph and extract important information that could help you answer any questions you have about a certain topic. A few things you need to know, you need to know what information is displayed on each axis, a line graph shows a set of data that changes over time, a bar graph shows a set of data recorded on one specific time survey.

In section 2 we covered several topics. We learned how to represent number and shape sequences with graphs and algebraic equations. Here's an example,

Term number

1

2

3

4

5

Term

1

4

9

16

25

Algebraic equation

T=2N

This equation tells you to multiply the term number by itself (term # x term #) to get your term. Using o an equation you can predict other terms in the sequence, this is another thing we learned. We also learned about exponents and how to use them. An exponent is used instead of multiplying a number by itself over and over again, here's an example, instead of writing out 5x5x5x5x5x5x5x5 you can turn this into an exponent which would be 5 to the eighth power. After learning how to use exponents we were able to find the volume of a cube by multiplying the length of one edge times 3 to get the volume. Volume is the area or space inside of a 3 dimensional object. If you call the length of one edge E the formula in exponential form would be E to the third power.

Next is probability which is what chance you have at getting something. Here's an example , you have a normal 6 sided die, what is the probability (chance) of rolling an even number . The probability would be 3/6 because there are three evens out of a total of six possible outcomes. I did a project on probability with my friend ARJO, our project was called Pizza Party. For Pizza Party we cut out different types of pizza out of colored paper, then we placed the paper pizza in a bag, next we picked the different pieces and recorded how many times we picked each type of pizza, this was our experimental probability. I enjoyed this project and it helped me understand how probability works.

Just recently we went over expressions and representations. The thing we worked on most was the order of operations, the order of operations is a set of steps on how to solve multiple step equations. The way to remember these operations is “PEMDAS” Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. This is the way to evaluate a complicated equation. If the problem looks like this, 40-10x5, you would do 10x5 first and then 40-50 which is -10. You read a problem from left to right, like a book. I also had a more in depth review on graphs and how to use them, I already explained this in the first paragraph.

Most of this module was a review and was fairly easy for me. My favorite part was the order of operations and the algebra, I enjoyed these sections because they were the only part that was a bit of a challenge. I enjoy working out long, complicated problems and these allowed me to be challenged a little. I hope you enjoyed my little letter on what I’ve learned in module 1!

Sincerely,

AJJA

Dear Parents,

In Math we just finished module 1. Some of the things we learned were bar and line graphs, tallying data, sequences, exponents, squares, cubes, and Algebra. My favorite thing we learned is the exponents because I understood them the most and they are fun to do. Writing out the problem with something different than just the old boring numbers. My least favorite thing we learned was the Algebra because it was hard to understand it and it was just difficult but in the end I started to understand it more so it was all good.

We did a probability project that helped me get what it was. I did it with a partner and some people did the project alone. My partner was AJJA. Our project was pretty cool it was called Pizza Party my favorite part was the name, it sounds just so fun. The quizzes we took were really short because they were on small parts in the module. The big test is in the end of the module like the one we just took.

In class our teacher played this song on the order of operations to help us memorize what to do in the equation first. I remember by P.E.M.D.A.S. P stands for parentheses so you would do what is in the parentheses first. E stands for Exponents then you would do the exponents next, then M stands for multiplication that’s next after the parentheses and exponents. Next is D, it stands for division that is 4th in P.E.M.D.A.S. Next is A is for addition that is second to last and last but not least S is subtraction that is what P.E.M.D.A.S. stands for. Another thing to remember it is “Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.”

So that is some of the most important things we learned in our first module in math class. Thanks for the help when I needed it too.

Your Son,

ARJO

Dear Mother,

How are you? Oh good, just checking. I would like to talk all about what I have been working on in math class. To be more specific, Module 1. We learned about data displays, sequences and exponents, probability, problem solving, and expressions and representations. I hope you enjoy my overlook of math class.

So to begin, I will talk about when we started working on tallying data, which is all about intervals, vertical axis, horizontal axis, frequency, bar and line graphs. We would collect data and make frequency tables, Frequency tables are when you make tallies into a table. It makes looking at data much easier. It has helped me a lot. A interval is a step between grid lines on a scale. A bar graph is a visual display of data that falls into distinct categories. A horizontal axis is a horizontal line one a graph that is labeled with the categories or with a scale and a frequency table is a table that shows how often each data item occurs. That was all we learned in the first part of Module 1.

Next we learned more about exponents and sequences. This was my favorite section of Module 1 because I enjoy exponents and trying to figure out sequences. So in this section, we talked about sequences called terms. A term of a sequence is a number indicating the position of a term in a sequence. As we learn more about this, we carry on to a bit of algebra. Like finding patterns and such. When we find a pattern, we make it into a algebraic problem like T (for term) N (for number sequence) and then add the other numbers to make it an equation. T= 6N is an example of showing how to set it up. This means T= 6xN.

After that we went over probability . I didn't really enjoy this section as much as I enjoyed the others. I don't enjoy anything to do with fractions. So anyway, probability is a number from 0 to 1 that tells how likely an event occurs. We did a project on probability. My group used gummy bears (thanks for buying them! ). We put the gummy bears in a lunch box, and tallied the number of times we got a certain color. We made a frequency table to show the data we collected. We added the theoretical probability and experimental probability. Experimental Probability is a probability determined by repeating an experimental a number of times observing the results. Theoretical Probability is a probability that can be determined without actually doing an experiment. If the outcomes of an experiment are equally likely.

The next thing we went over was one of my favorites. Order of Operations. Order of Operations is the correct order in which to perform the mathematical operations in an expression. How we learned it was PEMDAS. Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Adding, and Subtracting. You go from left to right when doing the equation. So here is an example of an equation. 7(6+7)2-5=1178. So how you figure this out is remember PEMDAS. 6+7 is in parenthesis so you do that first. There is an exponent over that so when you get 6+7 (which is 13) square that number and you should get 169. Because multiplication is next in the order of operations, you would do multiplication. 169X7 come out to be 1183. Next comes subtracting. You subtract 5 from 1183 and get 1178. That's basically all there is to PEMDAS and order of operations.

I hope you kind of understand all about Module 1 and the first 2 months of math class! :)

- AHKEA

October 22, 2010

Dear Dad,

I have just finished module 1 in math. I learned lots of things withing this module. I am about to tell you the topics we learned and some activities we did with them.

We started off learning about graphs and when you should use a bar graph or a line graph. The time to use a bar graph is when you have information where there's categories involved. The time to use a line graph is when you have recorded information over time.

The next thing that we all learned to do was frequency tables. When we first came to school we got a list of topics that we will learn in this module and frequency tables was one of them. When I saw that I was confused and wondered what that topic was about. Then we started to learn about them and it was a lot of fun. With the frequency tables we learned how to make them and record information on them.

Another activity that we did was number tricks. Meaning that you take a number, add 2, subtract 4, Multiply by 7, and so on. We did 2 work sheets on that so that it would be easier to transition into algebra. I really liked algebra because it's like a puzzle to me. Mom says that when I get into high school the problems will seem even more fun and like a puzzle. I hope she's right!

One of the other things that we did was we were to module a number sequence then have a word sentence, table, and graph to go with it. We did a couple of things with those and the transition into our next topic. The next topic was to find the nth number of a number sequence. Most of these transitions you will notice, relates to somewhat extent to each other. I think that these transitions helped me get the concept even before we started the topic.

The next thing we learned about was to compute with exponents. Computing with exponents was one that I liked. Yet at the same time after a while I think it kind of gets annoying. Plus if you told me to compute a problem with exponents I wouldn't quite understand it until you explained it more.

The next two topics are to do with probability. One is to use fractions from 0-1 to estimate probability. The first work sheet was called Introduction to Probability. 0 meant not possible and 1 meant certain. Then they asked you a bunch of different questions like will you have cereal for breakfast this week. And other different things like that.

Then from there we transitioned into experimental and theoretical probability. We used spinners, dice, decks of cards, everything we could get our hands on for probability. The big project fro probability was a poster. You had to bring in your own supplies and you had to have a table with the theoretical and experimental probability with a frequency table. I used letter dice and was very happy with my end result.

The last topic so far that we learned in math was order of operations. Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction or as you my know it as Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally or even PEMDAS. I had already learned all that last year so it was an review but the good thing about it was that I perfected it.

I really liked math this past module and I can't wait to find out what I'm going to learn in the next!

Yours Truly,

BREM

Dear Mom,

In math class, we have just finished module 1, and I have taken away a lot from it. We studied many different subjects including interpreting bar and line graphs, constructing frequency tables, creating bar graphs using frequency tables, using variables to solve number tricks, predicting the nth term of a number sequence, computing exponents, probability, and the order of operations. I thought most of this was interesting to learn, but some of it caused me trouble. In this letter I explain how we learned what we did and explain the subject to you.

Probability is on subject I loved learning about because I thought it was easy. It is basically learning about the numbers of chance. Probability explains what the outcomes of an experiments probably will be. For example, my good friend and I did and experiment on the probability of gummy bears. In this case, we put about 100 gummy bears into a plastic bag and picked one gummy out 100 times, and with that we were able to find the experimental probability of what color the gummy bear will be. With 25 red, 25 yellow, 25 orange, ad 25 green, the probability of picking out a red would be 25/100 because there are 25 red and 100 chances of picking a red. As we learned this subject, things got harder to deal with but I payed attention in class so everything worked out in the end! :)

Another unit in module one we explored would be a unit full of numbers and patterns and number tricks, which mystified almost all of the people in my class. We first leaned how to decipher a pattern by studying the numbers and shapes in the term and finding what number will some next. Usually, I found the pattern really quick, but some of them were so hard I had to give up and work on another.. For example, if each term was double the term number plus 2, the basic equation that solves every term would be 2N + 2. (N = term).

After learning number and shape patterns, we moved on to number tricks, and this part of module 1 was very interesting! The way these work is simple but confusing, too. When you begin, you think of any number you want, unless it say otherwise. Then you are put through many mathematical events witch ends with the number you started with, or one number every time. These were so much fun! But I tried making one, and it is so hard!

Line and bar graphs also made their way back from second grade! :) But this time learned how to decide to use a bar or a line graph. This is how we know. If you would like to show how data progresses or changes over time, the right choice would be a line graph. If you would like to just show the data that doesn't have many changes that are important, and bar graph would suit that set of data. We also learned how to analyze a graph by being tested with a take home quiz. We answered a series of questions. And when using graphs, we had to make a frequency table, also. Frequency tables were a way to collect data using tallies, and writing the final frequency on one of the columns.

Most of this was a review, but I also learned something in module 1.This was Exponents in the order of operations. (if your confused this means how to use exponents in an equation when it is necessary to use the order of operations) When dealing with the order of operations, the equations are usually long, and have many numbers, we use the order of operations to make them easier to solve. But Exponents are hard for me, so using them in an even bigger equation was tough. I first figured out the exponent, by multiplying the number as many times as it says, then use PEMDAS, which is the order we are supposed to do our work in.( parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction) And then I figured it out!

Thanks for listening,

CJIV

Dear Mom and Dad,

Our class just finished working on Module 1. In Module 1 I learned lots of helpful things. There were a lot of worksheets and problems to solve. Here are a couple of the things that we did that helped me learn all of these important things that we did in Module 1.

I learned how to make a frequency table and what the differences are between a bar graph and a line graph. I also learned how to analyze graphs. When learning about analyzing graphs we had a take home quiz where we had to pick a graph from a newspaper and analyze it. I also learned how to make a bar graph using the data I collected from a frequency table.

I learned how to use variables to show pattern rules, and how to use symbols and algebra to explain how a number trick works. I also learned how to get a rule for a sequence and figure out the nth term. My favorite thing in this Module was doing patterns and finding rules for the patterns so that you could find the nth term.

I also liked the things we did on probability. I did an experiment on probability with MHHO where we picked Starbursts out of a bag. I also worked on probability with spinners and flipping one coin, two coins, or three coins. I enjoyed these activities a lot. I also liked that section because it refreshed my memory on theoretical and experimental probability.

I also refreshed my memory on Order of Operations and doing exponents. During the Order of Operations section we learned PEMDAS, parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, which is the order of operations. We also listened to a song on the order of operations. We also had a test which I hope I aced, and a bunch of worksheets that I enjoyed doing because they were mostly very easy and fun. I had a great time learning these things in this module!

Sincerely,

CHBE

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished off Module one in our Math textbooks. There were a lot of things to learn. We learned about the order of operations, probability, frequency tables, and much, much more!

The first thing we learned about was Graphs. We did a lot of work with interpreting graphs. We did several pages in the book where we had to answer questions based on a graph. We also learned when to use a line graph and when to use a bar graph. You use a line graph to show changes over time and you use a bar graph when you are putting things into categories. We even took a take home quiz where we had to answer several questions using a graph we found in the news paper.

Next we learned about number tricks and patterns. The number tricks were really fun and it was amazing that they worked. I even made my own. We used algebra and shapes to figure out how they worked each time. The patterns were kind of tricky. Some of them were really easy to figure out the but others I couldn't find it on my own. To find the nth term we used algebraic equations like T= 5N. It was really fun.

The next thing we did was frequency tables. We used several sets of data and created a table with it. After frequency tables came exponents. I think exponents are really fun but it sometimes gets annoying how you have keep multiplying large numbers. We used exponents to find the volume of a cube and we used them in the order of operations.

The next thing we did was Probability. We did an experiment about probability where we got a partner and picked something out of a bag. My partner and I did jolly ranchers and we called pour experiment jolly pickings. We also did a lottery where our Math teacher put our names in a bag and picked them out. The first and last person picked won 10 math points and the second and the second to last person picked won 5 math points. Everyone else won nothing.

The last thing we did was order of operations. Order of operations is by far my favorite thing we did. It is very easy for me. I like how there are a lot of steps. We did a lot of order of operations problems and we were all so good at it that we had the test on it in the same week that we learned about it. This is what we did in Module one. Sincerely,

CJKA

Dear Mom,

I have learned SO MUCH from Module 1! Module 1 is basically the first part of the textbook. It doesn't take up all of the trimester, only about half. This is what I have learned:

Graphs: This is the first thing that I learned in Module 1. Bar graphs and line graphs. We have worked with both of them, making them, seeing examples, even looking for them in articles.

Tables: A huge part of Module 1 was learning to make frequency tables. We mostly made these throughout the whole module. You get data from a probability experiment and put them on these.

Number tricks: I didn't enjoy this part very much. During this section of the module, we learned ways to start with one number and always end with the same result using blocks or algebra.

Number sequences: This is basically solving patterns. For instance, 2, 4, 6, and so on, we would find out the next number, or term, 8. We would also need to find the rule, in this case, term number plus itself equals the term.

Exponents: In module 1, we learned a little bit about exponents. Not too big ones, but things like two to the fourth power, or sixteen. We learned how to write it in standard form, or a normal number, as well as the exponential form.

Probability: Goodness, this was a big part of Module 1! This was basically learning the probability of certain events and putting it into fractions and frequency tables, like picking a certain color marble out of a bunch. We even created our own instance in a project and recorded the data. We also learned how to find the theoretical probability as well as the experimental probability.

Order of Operations: My favorite part. I just love solving the mathematical signs as well as the parentheses. It's so fun!

Sincerely,

FHRO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Let me tell you what I learned in Module 1 this year in math class. There were so many worksheets, homework, and tests. During these months I've learned a lot about probability, patterns, tables, exponents, and Order of Operations. Hopefully you'll find this interesting and helpful.

First I learned bar and line graphs. There are so many graphs I didn't know about! We did a one or two worksheets on that and then we moved to frequency tables. During the rest of the Module we used frequency tables so it was a big “must know” kind of thing. Frequency tables are when you have an object that you want to put in an organizer, preferably a table. You tally how many objects and then in another column you write your frequency. A frequency is how many of the object you have. We did a couple of worksheets on that as well.

Later I learned pattern problems. You would have a worksheet and while solving a problem you would also be unlocking a pattern. Or there would be a number trick. You would have a worksheet and a calculator. While your following the problem on your calculator you will come up with the same number or there would be a trick on it. We also did a couple worksheets on that as well. We took a quiz on that whole chapter.

Then I learned exponents. Exponents are so confusing, or at least were. There would be a number say five and the problem would say five time five time five times three. So instead of writing that all out you would say five to the third power time three. We took a quiz on that and a couple of worksheets then we used it for the rest of the Module as well.

Also I learned probability, my favorite thing to learn. We did a big project with candy and math. I had a partner and it was a lot of fun. We did a lot of worksheets on it and took one or two quizzes on it. That chapter was a lot of fun and learning. After we did the project we did a couple of more worksheets.

Finally I learned Order of Operations. It was a little difficult at first, but I got the hang of it. We took a quiz on that and we had worksheets galore. It was a quick chapter but it felt like a lifetime. I was confused half the time and couldn't understand it. I eventually got it but I still have a little difficulty with it. There were so much that I have learned in the past months and I've had a lot of fun while doing so. Math is a fun subject and I enjoy going to it everyday.

Love,

HJME

Dear Mum,

This year in math class we are learning some new and interesting things that we didn't know last year. We learned about patterns, and how we can figure out how to solve them. After we mastered the trick, we moved on to figuring out how we can solve them with algebra. We used T to represent the term, and we used N to represent the term number. For example, if T was 5 and N was 2, the algebraic expression could be T = 2N + 1.

After algebra we moved on to exponents. Exponents are the little numbers above the bigger numbers used to represent a long multiplication sequences. For example, four to the sixth power would be the same thing as four times four times four times four times four times four. Exponents can also be used when solving a pattern.

When we were done with exponents we worked on this thing called probability. Probability is the chances that something will happen, on a scale of one to zero. One is certain that it will happen, zero is that it's impossible. All the in between is just that, the in between. For example, if I had a bag half filled with blue marbles, and half filled with green marbles that have purple polka-dots, the probability of picking a yellow marble are zero. The probability of picking a green with purple polka-dots or a blue marble is one. The probability of picking just a blue marble is ½.

Next we learned about the order of operations. The order of operations is the way to solve problems that have more than one operation. It goes like this; parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. An acronym you can use to remember this is PEMDAS. I prefer to say Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Those are pretty much the most important things that we have learned this year in math class, but I'm sure we'll learn much more.

Sincerely,

HJMA

Dear Mom,

In math class we are learning about many useful things. In the beginning of the module, we learned mostly about graphs. We learned about how to graph data, construct graphs, and how and when to use a frequency table. We also learned what the difference is between the the two graphs and which one to use at the appropriate time. You use a bar graph when you are graphing data from a survey or pole and you use a line graph when you are graphing data over a specific time period.

We also learned how to make a model sequence with word sentences, tables, and graphs. This unit was mostly about turning sentences into tables and graphs. It was pretty easy.

After that we learned about using variables to solve number tricks. Using variables can make problems so much easier. We also learned how to predict the nth term in a number sequence (example: T=n+4-2 so the 15nth term is 17).Learning variables helped a lot with that.

Next we learned about computing with exponents. We had done this last year so it was the easiest for me and we spent the least time on it.

Then we learned about probability. We learned about experimental and theoretical probability and about estimating probability using 0 through 1 (example: 1/3). We did a project on this last week. I worked on it with my friend. My friend and I put 50 star burst’s in a bag. We put a certain amount of each color and recorded the theoretical probability. Then we picked out of the bag a certain amount of times and then we recorded the experimental probability.

The last thing we learned was the order of operations. In order to do this right all that you have to know is P.E.M.D.A.S. This stands for Parentheses Exponents Multiplication and Division Addition and Subtraction. We have been having a lot of fun in math class this year.

Sincerely,

Your daughter

Article posted October 22, 2010 at 06:10 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 40

Dear Mom and Dad,

We are just finishing up Module 1 in our math book in our math class. I think we learned lots of interesting things and I hope I teach you something that maybe you didn't even know. I know you will be pleased with what we have been learning. Now, here is a brief overview of what we did during this module.

First we learned what the difference is between bar and line graphs. We found out that bar graphs are used when you have to group information into categories. Line graphs are used when you have information that extends over a long period of time.

Next we learned about probability. Our teacher told us the two different types of probability. One type is theoretical probability. Theoretical probability is what is supposed to happen in an experiment. The other type of probability is experimental probability. Experimental probability is what the outcome of the experiment is. In class we would compare these to probabilities and see how they differ.

Then we learned how to predict the nth term in a term number sequence. There would be a term and a term number. The term number is the number of the term in the sequence. The term is the number in the number pattern or sequence. We used an algebra equation to figure out what the next term would be. We also did some stuff on algebra equations. We would use n, then find what n would be in that certain equation.

The last thing we learned is about order of operations. Order of operations is pretty self-explanatory. It is the order that the you do the operations go in .We were taught that you have to follow PEMDAS. PEMDAS stands for parentheses, exponents, multiplication or division, and addition or subtraction. You always do equations from left to right. So you will always do the problems left to right using PEMDAS.

This is briefly all we have done for this first Module. I thought is was very fun and I definitely know I learned a lot. I can't wait to learn more in the upcoming modules. Hope you like this, and hopefully I taught you guys something. Bye for now!

Love,

KJCH

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished Module 1 in our mathematics textbook. There were a lot of worksheets and problems to solve.

First, we learned how to make frequency tables. Just tally the amount of times something happened in one column, then write the number of tallies in another. To make a frequency graph, just make a sideways bar graph. We also learned how to decide whether to use a bar or line graph. Use a bar graph when you want to put data into categories, and a line graph when showing data over time.

Next, we moved onto probability. CHBE and I worked on a project where we picked Starbursts candy out of a bag, then made a table to show experimental and theoretical probability. Experimental probability is what happened in the experiment. The theoretical probability is what was supposed to happen in the experiment. We also did experiments with spinners and dice to show probability.

After probability, we studied number patterns. Our teacher showed us all kinds of cool number tricks that seemed unreal. We used algebra to show how the tricks worked. We also used algebra to show the relation from term to term number in a table, so we could find the nth figure.

Then, we studied order of operations. Our math teacher played us a funny rap about PEMDAS. P for parentheses, E for exponents, M for multiplication, D for division, A for addition and S for subtraction, you can call it PEMDAS! It was awesome. We did some worksheets. To go with that, we learned how to calculate exponents. At the end of the Module, we had a big test.

Love,

MHHO

October 21, 2010

Dear Mom & Dad,

Our class just finished Module one. Here are some of the sections we learned about. We have done a lot in Module one. We started the school year learning about interpreting bar and line graphs. During that section we had a take home quiz where I had to find a graph in the newspaper. While learning about bar graphs we also learned how to make frequency tables that relate to the graph.

In module one we also used variables to solve number tricks, in this section there was some tricky problems. We also learned about predicting the nth term of a number sequence. I found that algebra is a lot easier than it looks.

Our class also learned how to change problems into standard and exponential form. Sometimes exponents turned out to be really big numbers.

We learned to find the experimental and theoretical probability of an event. This section was one of my favorites because we worked on a project where we had a lot of fun while learning. My partner and I did the probability of different colored M&M's out of a bag.

Lastly we learned about the order of operations. During this section we learned a cool song to remember the order of operations. As you can see our class learned a lot in Module one. Now I'm excited to start Module two.

Your Daughter,

NRAL

Dear Mom and Dad,

First, we learned how to make frequency tables. Just tally the amount of times something happened in one column, and then write the number of tallies in another. To make a frequency graph, just make a sideways bar graph. We did several pages in the book where we had to answer questions based on a graph. We also learned when to use a line graph and when to use a bar graph. You use a line graph to show changes over time and you use a bar graph when you are putting things into categories. We even took a take home quiz where we had to answer several questions using a graph we found in the news paper.

Next, we moved onto probability. I worked on a project where I picked Gummy Bears out of a bag, then made a table to show experimental and theoretical probability. Experimental probability is what happened in the experiment. The theoretical probability is what was supposed to happen in the experiment. We also did experiments with spinners and dice to show probability.

After probability, we studied number patterns. Our teacher showed us all kinds of cool number tricks that seemed unreal. We used algebra to show how the tricks worked. We also used algebra to show the relation from term to term number in a table, so we could find the nth figure. Once I got the hang of it, the problems were very simple to solve.

Sincerely,

RJAV

Dear Mom and Dad,

Module one was a lot of fun! We learned about probability, algebra, the order of operations, exponents, and patterns.

I liked the patterns unit because I like figuring out complicated math formulas. It requires a knowledge of algebra so I was exited! I love patterns and figuring out life sized problems.

I also liked the algebra unit because I like using complex equations, and when I do algebra I feel like I’m one of those people on TV with the long equations written on chalkboards. It actually is fun to do algebra because it challenges my logic ability. I somehow always seem to do algebra the complicated way.

The exponent unit was very easy! All it is, is multiplying it by itself the number of times it says in the small number next to the bigger number. Did you know that one to any power is one? Same with zero, zero to any power is one as well.

I didn't like the probability unit because I felt it too repetitive. Well I do like probability I just felt that the unit just went on about spinners and dice and coin flips.

We were supposed to do the Stock Market Simulation this module but it was postponed until early November. Here's an example of something we did this module, try to figure this out!

1 2 3 4 5

8 16 24 32 40.

SRKE

Dear Mom,

I just got done learning all about Module 1 in my math class! I have learned so many cool and important things in this Module. One of the many things I’ve learned about is bar graphs and line graphs, and when to use them. Did you know you use a bar graph when you need to display different categories? Also, you use a line graph to display information over an amount of time. Learning about graph was one of my favorite things about this module because I caught on quickly and it was easy for me to learn.

Another thing I learn in this Module is, how to make a frequency chart. I loved using the frequency charts because it helped me a lot with my probability. It was always fun using this chart. For example, say I had a wheel and the colors on this wheel were blue,red, and green. Now say I spin this wheel 20 times and come out with the results, 5 for red. 10 for blue, and 5 for green. I would make tallys on my chart and then after I was done. I would have a section on my chart labeled frequency, in that section, I would write down the number of tallys and the number of times I did it. Such as this: 5/20

Guess what else I learned! I learned about one of my favorite things, PROBABILITY! I worked a lot on this part of Module 1, and it was my favorite part. Some of the things I learned in this part was how to determine the experimental and theoretical probability. Which isn't as hard as it seems. You see, for theoretical probability all you have to do is list the number of the item you put in the bag and how many things are in the bag. For example, I put in 10 cards in a bag, I put in 3 red cards so I would write it like this : 3/10. For experimental probability it's very similar. I'll explain it through example. Say I have the same bag with the same 10 cards. Inside that bag there are 3 red cards and 7 black cards. I make a frequency chart and pull cards out of the bag 20 times. I pull out a black card 15 times, so the experimental probability would be 15/20.

Also, I learned about Algebra. One of the things we learned in this part is how to identify the rule of a sequence of numbers or patterns. For example, If the pattern is 1,4,9 the rule would be T=N2. I got this by looking at the term number and then the pattern.

The last thing we learn about was the order of operations, other wise known as PEMDAS or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. The order of operations consists of parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition and subtraction. You go in order except for multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. For those you go from left to right. Order of Operations was probably the easiest for me to learn because I love getting to the bottom of math problems.

Sincerely,

LSHO

Dear Dad,

I learned a lot while learning Module 1. And I can't believe I learned all of this in this small amount of time. And now I'm going to tell you what I learned.

I learned about bar and line graphs. Like how you do and line graph when your graphing something over a period of time, and you do a bar graph when you are graphing data from a survey.

I learned how to do theoretical and experimental probability. I learned even more about probability then I did last year. I also learned how to make a frequency table with tallies. We even did a project with frequency tables and probability. I did the project with NRAL. We put 100 M&Ms in a paper bag and pulled out an M&M 200 times. For each color we picked out we put a tally on the frequency table under that color.

I also learned number tricks. They were so fun they were my favorite part of Module 1. We would start out with any number we wanted and follow the steps and if you u did a different number it would come out the same every time.

I learned how to to use letters in a equation like this T=3N+5. That went a long with finding out the next pattern term. That was fun too.

I also learned exponents, but I didn't like it. It was my least favorite part of Module 1. Because I don't like multiplying things so many times.

The last thing I learned was the order of operations. It goes parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. It's also known as “PEMDAS.” I did well in that.

I can't believe I learned so much in that small amount of time!:)

Your Daughter,

LJTA

Dearest Father,

This year in math, I've learned about graphing, probability and the order of operations in Module 1.We've learned how to interpret bar and line graphs, this helps when I'm recording data. I learned to use a bar graph when the data is separated into different categories and a line graph when you have one category of data that changes over time.

We also took information from frequency tables, which we also learned how to make. These tables are made with data that was already taken. The frequency table consist of three columns, one for the subject category, one for the for tallies and one for the frequency. After this we learned how to how to make frequency tables and bar and line graphs we moved on to using variables to solve number tricks.

We used algebra to solve these number tricks. This section in Module 1 was more complicated but it became easy after many worksheets. In Module 1 we also learned how to use sequences, word sentences, tables and graphs. We did many worksheets and math point pages on this subject. Modeling these graphs, sequences, tables and word sentences was not a challenge for me.

Next, we learned to find the nth term of a number sequence, this was some serious algebra. This was very interesting to learn because I haven’t studied number sequences before. Next the powers flowered and we started using exponents in the next section of Module 1. Exponents are a short way of writing a multiplication problem. We wrote both standard and exponential forms in this Module.

When we finished exponents we started learning about probability. We did many experiments with flipping coins and picking little different colored squares out of a bag. I also did a project with my friend on probability. We found the experimental and theoretical probability. We picked jelly beans out of a bag, then we wrote about our results in a paragraph and table. I enjoyed this project because it was really active and I got to eat jelly beans! Our experiment was called Jelly Belly.

The last thing we learned in Module 1 is the order of operations. In Module 1, we learned an easy way to remember the order of operations: PEMDAS (parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction). The order goes left to right in the PEMDAS order. I learned a lot of useful and handy information in Module 1.

Sincerley,

MHCA

Dear daddy, October 22nd 2010

So far I have learned a lot in math class. We have done so many different things. I will tell you three thing we did the one I enjoyed the most the least and the middle.

The thing I enjoyed the most would probably be the patterns. We learned how to find the pattern and predict some future term in the pattern. A term is the pattern. The term number is the number of the pattern. I found it very fun and I got it right away.

The thing that was okay is the bar graphs and line graphs. We did a lot with graphs last year, but I still learned a lot of things. I learned how to get information out of them. I learned how to read them too. I also learned how to find out if you should use a line graph or a bar graph.

The thing I least enjoyed was the frequency tables. I found them quite easy. I learned what they were, how to get the information, how to read them, and how to make them. They are a lot like graphs. You have different columns. Lets say you wanted to get the frequency of the number of pets on your street. You would have a column for the type of pets. A column for the tally’s, for the number of pets, then you would have a column for frequency, you count the number of tally’s.

I learned a lot of things this module. I hope I learn a lot more. Even if there is some review I know I will learn a least something new.

From,

SSMA

10-21-10

Dear Mom,

Recently in math class we have been learning all new and interesting elements of math. At the beginning of the module we started off reviewing last year's work. Then we moved into patterns and learned how to find the rule to a pattern and express it in algebra. Say if there were three numbers in a row and they were all random numbers I could figure them out and write the rule in algebraic form. We also learned how to make our own patterns.

After learning about all the tricks and gadgets that come with patterns we moved into algebra alone. Algebra was very interesting because instead of using all numbers and math symbols we used letters. Algebra is all expressed in letters and some numbers because it is a way find out a number if you don't know what it is. The algebra letter represents the number that you can't figure out.

Frequency tables and graphs were next on the list. We learned that a frequency table was the outcome, tally, and the frequency all together. You would use a frequency table when there were different say colors that kids liked and different amounts like one color. A frequency table is a way to organize all that information. After it is all put into the frequency table you can either make a bar graph or line graph. It really depends on the type of data. If it was a survey you would use a bar graph to show the information, and if it was showing the change in data over time then you would use a line graph to measure the change in data.

After we learned about tables and graphs we moved in to probability. We did a huge probability experiment when we chose some object to pick out of a bag and then we created a table and wrote a summary about our experiment. I learned a lot about experimental and theoretical probability and how to compare the two together. I worked with PJPH and we did our experiment on Razzles. We also used spinners to determine what was going to happen. We would find the theoretical probability of what would happen and then once we had spun the spinner we found the experimental probability.

Once we were almost done we still had to do the order of operations. This is just like PEMDAS which I learned about last year. It is when we took a number sentence and used PEMDAS order to find the correct answer. PEMDAS is a rhyme to remember that parenthesis come first and then exponents, multiplication and division are equal and so are addition and subtraction. You have to follow that order to get the true answer to the number sentence.

We are now done with module one so I wanted to inform you of what has been happening here in math class. I have been learning so much new and old nut all exciting information as you can tell. I will write soon! I have to continue learning all this information! Talk later!

xxo,

FSCA!!!!

Dear Nana,

How are you doing? Tell Pop I said hi. In school I have been learning a lot of new stuff in math this module. I am going to tell you a little bit about that.

We have been learning a lot of stuff so I am only going to share about the things I enjoyed. We learned how to make bar and line graphs and when to use them. You use a bar graph when you are taking a survey and you use a line graph when you are keeping track of time. I found I was good at this so it was fun.

I also enjoyed learning how to do order of operations. I have found I enjoy this then most things we do even if I am not the best at it. During this project I learned what PEMDAS [Parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition and subtraction.] To remember that we say please excuse my dear Aunt Sally we even heard a song about it by the way your a pain in my PEM DAS [just kidding but...]

I have also learned that exponents are not as hard as I originally thought they were. I did not understand them at all I remember that I was always worried when they were on a test but now I think they are easy.

Moving on, we have also been working hard on probability. I not the best at it but I understand it and know how to do them which is the most important. But I really liked the projects we did with it.

One of my strongest subjects I have to say was making frequency tables I do not know why but they just come easy to me Maybe it is because I like to sort things but I don't know. But it makes me happy I don't have to worry about them on a test.

I have had a lot of fun learning about new stuff all term I cant wait to learn more Love

LRKE

Dear Mother,

My class just finished module 1 in our textbooks. Since it was the beginning of the year it was basically easy stuff and reviews but we still learned. Now that we are done with module 1 we can start to learn more advanced math. In module 1 there were six sections. Section 1 was about data displays, section 2 was about sequences and exponents, and in section 3 we learned about probability. Section 4 was about problem solving and section 5 and 6 were about problem solving and order of operations.

In section 1 we learned about tallying data, and bar and line graphs. When you tally data you are supposed to gather the data you want and tally how many times it comes up. A bar graph is a graph that is used to display data that falls into distinct categories. A line graph is graph that shows how data changes over time. That is what we learned in section 1 in module 1.

In section 2 we learned about modeling sequences and exponents, squares, and cubes. A sequence is an ordered list of numbers or objects called terms. We learned about term numbers and symbols also. Exponents show a pattern of repeated multiplication. Exponents make it simpler to write out as well. Instead of writing out 3.3.3.3 you could just write 34 or three to the fourth power.

In section 3 we were taught about probability and theoretical probability. Probability is experiments that predict the outcome of an event. Probability is also a number from 0 to 1 that tells you how likely something will happen.

Section 4 was about problem solving. The textbook gave us four steps to problem solving. Step 1: understand the problem. Step 2: Make a Plan. Step 3: Carry out the plan. Step 4: look back, or check out work. Those were all very helpful to me, especially when I got stuck on a difficult math equation. This was definitely an important chapter to me.

Section 5 in the textbook taught the class about evaluating solutions and making connections. Section 6 was about the order of operations. The order of operations helps when you do long mathematical equations. It lets you break down long equations into sections to make it smaller and easier to figure out since it is better laid out.

Since we started school that is what we have been learning for the first trimester.

From,

Kid

Dear Mom, Yellow

In math class, we have been in a section called module one and have learned many things in these first few months of school. Module one is now over and we will soon be starting module two. In module one, I have learned to make and solve algebra equations, make bar and line graphs and when to use them, probability, and the order of operations!

Thanks to Mrs. Harte's excellent teaching skills, I now know that the probability of you giving me a raise in my allowance is 1/10. The thing about probability is it's the same as fractions! If there is a spinner with four equal areas, the probability that the spinner will land on area one would be ¼, the same as it's fraction. So it has ¼ chance of being spun, and it has a fraction value of ¼! It's so simple!

That's not all though! I now know the definition of the word PEMDAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction. This will enable me the godly power of never getting the order of operations mixed up. Look at this problem: 1+4x5-(10-8)=____. Can you guess the answer. It's 19! You would first do whatever is in the parentheses, then you would do exponents, but since there are no exponents, you would skip to multiplication and division. After that, you can finally do addition and subtraction from left to right, and... you're done! 19!

Plus, those bar and line graphs will certainly help me with my job when I'm older! Bar graphs are used for one set of data that stays the same. Line graphs are for a set of data that changes over time. So if I collected data on a plant growing over a week, what graph do I use? LINE GRAPH!

You should thank Mrs. Harte for her awesome teaching!

From,

MHJU.

Dear Mom, 

From,

MHJU.

Dear Dad,

I just finished Module 1 of my math text book. We learned all about probability,exponents, order of operations, tables and graphs.

We did a probability project on a type of items we choose then after you make a small poster all about the probability of the items you chose. Probability is a great project and skill. We did lots of experiments on it. We played games on the computer, we did the probability of cards and dice. They were great ways to learn probability.

Exponents aren't really something you'll use a lot in life but its an easy way to show an equation when the numbers are the same and you're multiplying them all by each other. How exponents work is like this. So say you have the number 7, it's in this equation 7x7x7x7x7. With exponents all you have to write would be 75. Exponents are really just another way to show one number being multiplied by it's self several times.

Order of Operations is how you evaluate an equation in the right order so you get the correct answer. There are a few different ways you can remember the order of operations the easiest one for me to remember is PEMDAS. PEMDAS stands for Parentheses Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction. Another way that people sometimes remember it is Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. Well anyway Order of Operations makes any types of equations easier to understand and that is why math equations are easy and fun to do.

Tables and Graphs help throughout your whole life. You use them in almost all subjects. Especially when you calculating population from this year to this year. Anyway, we had to make a table for our probability posters and we made graphs and tables for homework, schoolwork, quizzes, tests, and assignments. Tables and graphs are also a great skill to have for future reference and jobs.

All the math skills we learned in Module 1 are all skills that we should know throughout are lives. I learned a lot about skills that I can use in the future and I can’t wait to tell you more about math.

Dear Dad,

Dear Mom, October 21,2010

In math class there are different modules, so here is what I learned it module 1.

I learned how to make bar and line graphs. And how bar graphs show the data that fall into different categories. And line graphs show the data over time. We did a experiment with that where we did how many and types of pets in the classroom.

I also learned about probability we took dice and rolled them and we found out the experimental and theoretical probability was. We also did a project on that where we either spun a spinner of picked different items out of a baggy.

We also learned how to do order of operations. I learned a trick too on order of operations its called pemdas. If you don’t know the rule for order of operations then you do parenthesis then exponents then multiplication and division then addition and subtraction you do all those thing in order from left to right.

We learned how to do frequency tables with different things like favorite pets. You first put the topics then tally then frequency. We also learned how to format the frequency to a bar graph or line graph.

We learned patterns in shapes and numbers and how to turn them into equation we did many experiments on patterns in shapes and numbers like trying to find out how many will be in the 100th figure and the 30th when there were only 4 examples.

Love, Your Daughter

Hi Momma and Daddy,

In Math class we have been working on Module 1. If you're wondering what a module is I'll explain. A module is the way our textbook is divided in our book there are modules in all. This Friday we just finished up Module 1. You might be wondering what did we learn in Module 1, well I'll explain....

In the first section of module 1 we learned about analyzing graphs. By analyzing a graph we can tell what intervals are represented on the vertical axis and the horizontal axis. Also by using our data we can decide whether to make a line graph or a bar graph. We also learned about tallying for graphs as well.

In the second section of module 1 we learned about sequences and beginning algebra. We learned how to predict patterns by finding relationships between the term number and term. We also learned how to draw pictures to help and represent the different sequences. We also reviewed how to find the volume of a cube by using height times width times length.

In section 3 of module 1 about probability. In this unit we did a project. I choose to work with Lily as you know we chose gumballs out of a bag and then recorded the experimental probability. We learned how to reduce experimental probability as well as theoretical probability.

Before we went to section 4 we went to section 6. In section 6 we evaluated problems with order of operations. We were reminded of PEMDAS. Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication or division, addition or subtraction. Then we learned about writing algebra problems.

Right now we are learning about problem solving. What we are trying to learn is to solve and problem and show all your work. Sometimes it's better to show your work then necessarily getting the right answer. It may be difficult but it is really fun once you get the hang of it.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my Math class. Thank you for reading!!!

Love,

CJBR

Dear Dad,

Module 1 was a lot longer than I thought, and there are more modules to come. So here's what I learned.

Graphs: We did a quick re-visit on graphs, line and bar. We could read them and turn them into Frequency Tables: Frequency tables are data tables that show how often something occurs. Like age, we use tally marks to show it.

And that's the beginning of Algebra: 9=Z x 3, algebra replaces numbers in a term with letters, so a student can figure out what the missing number is. Exponents: 32, no you do NOT do 3 x 2. it means to multiply the 3 twice or 3 x 3 and that equals 9 not 6 ,you find this in Order of Operations: 3 - 4 x 32 PEMDAS, Parenthesis, Exponents ,Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction. The is the order of what operation you do first.

There are no parentheses in this equation so we go to the exponent. 3 x 3= 9, then the multiplication 9 x 4= 36, after that we do the subtraction 36-3. And it all equals 33. These things are kind of the basics to get us warmed up for a long year ahead ,the next module is problem solving so keep an eye out.

Dear Mom & Dad

This in math class we learned about interpret and line graphs, construct frequency tables, create bar graphs using a frequency tables, using variables to solve number tricks, model a number sequence with a word sentence table and graph. In probability I worked with a partner her name is hsgr. We did an awsome job . It was on gum. We pulled it out of a bag and we had to find the experimental probability and the Theoretical probability. We had to make a poster. We also did order of operation. PEMDAS Please Excuse My Dead Aunt Sally. Or Parentheses Exponents Multiplication Division Addition and Subtraction.

Dear Mom and Dad,

My math class just finished up Module1 and I'm going to tell you about it.

First we worked on probability. We learned how to predict what the results of our experiments would be based on the theoretical probability. We did probability experiments with a partner. My partner was Jaco.

Another thing we learned about was exponents. We learned how to translate exponential form to standard standard form and standard to exponential.

Lastly, my class learned about the order of operations. We learned how to evaluate problems with parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and addition and subtraction. In that order is how you solve the problem. A way my class was taught to remember it was from PEMDAS.

Sincerely,

Carmelo

In Module 1 we learned about graphs,sequences, exponents,probability,problem solving and order of operations.

For sequences, we figured out patterns and did math magic ticks. We would study the first four terms in a pattern and then would try to figure out what the 10th,20th and 100th terms in the sequence were. We would write an algebraic formula to figure out any term in the sequence. The math magic tricks were really fun but challenging. You would pick a number perform a couple of operations, then the result would be your original number or a different number. We would do the trick several times and if the results are a different number than the original number, it should be the same number every time you solve it. Then we would explain steps using squares and circles and algebra.

For probability we did experiments and online simulations. We did a bunch of different experiments using dice, cards and then came up with our own experiment. For my experiment I used toothpicks and a compass. I tossed 2 toothpicks with one end cut off over a compass 160 times and recorded which way they pointed closest to. The name of my experiment was Which Way? The theoretical probability was 40 for North, South, East and West. The Experimental probability was 44 for North, 40 for South, 43 for east and 33 for West. We also used a probability simulation online where the computer rolled a dice or drew a card as many times as we wanted it to and it made a graph and fractions.

Dear Mom and Dad

I am writing this paragraph to let you know about what I have been doing in math class this past month. We just finished module 1 and had a big test on it I think I did pretty good hopefully.

In this module we learned about a lot of new things such as........ interpreting bar graphs to the order of operations. My favorite thing we did was that we did a section on finding the theoretical and experimental probability of an event. We had to get a partner and decide on a thing to base our project off of we choose M & M's we then had to make a chart and summary on this topic.

Another really fun project that we did was a unit on number tricks it showed me another way of doing math. We did many worksheets and games to help us learn how to do them right. During the unit on number tricks we had to learn how to change the numbers into variables which I think will come in much handy next year.

The last thing I want to mention to you guys was that we did a project on attendance sheets where we took all of them from the year before when I was in 6th grade and it showed that the most people were out on Monday’s I was really surprised I thought that most people would be out on Tuesdays.

from, your daughter

Dear Mother,

I am going to tell three things I have done in math class. One thing I did was a probability experiment where we had to pick a certain thing that contains a bunch of little things; like a deck of cards, box of candy etc. You could also pick a partner and my partner was BJBA and we choose to do our experiment with spree's. We had 5 of 4 different colors red, yellow, orange, purple. We picked one out of a bag 100 times. That was what we did for our experiment.

Another experiment I did was in class we had to do a coin flipping experiment and there were 3 tables. The first table was to see what a penny would land on heads or tails and we did that 50 times. The second table was with 2 pennies and to see if they were both heads, both tails, heads and tails, or tails and heads. We also did that 50 times. The third table was with 3 pennies and to see if they all landed on heads, all tails, tails heads tails, tails tails heads, heads heads tails, heads tails heads, heads tails tails & tails heads heads. And we did that another 50 times.

Th last thing I am going to tell you is when we did order of operations and we had a bunch of pages on it some had exponents and parenthesis and some had just a lot of numbers on them but that was it.

Dear Mom and Dad,

We are doing a lot of fun and exciting projects and activities in math class. One of the fun and exciting things we are doing is the order of operations. We have done a lot of worksheets and we read about it a lot in the textbooks. One thing I find interesting about it is that brackets and parentheses are pretty much the same exact thing, the only two differences are that parentheses go first and parentheses are inside of brackets. Those are some things we are doing to help us learn about the order of operations in math class.

Another interesting thing we are doing in math class is frequency tables. It is practically a chart. We did a math points project on it but I didn't do it because I thought that it would take way to long. I've learned that you can make frequency charts on any thing. It can range from how many pets 5 people have to how long 500 people live. That is some things I've learned about frequency tables.

That is all for this letter thank you for reading.

From,

The most amazing child ever.

Article posted October 28, 2011 at 04:16 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 80

Dear Mom and Dad,

We just finished Module 1 in math class. We learned about probability, analyzing a graph, algebra equations for patterns, and order of operations.

For the probability unit we did a number of things. We played games that we recorded the results of and we also did a lot of games involving dice. This all led up to a mini project that I did with my friend Carmelo. We put 20 baseball cards in a hat and did 100 random draws. This was my favorite probability activity.

For the order of operations unit we did a lot of worksheets. We learned how to use brackets and parentheses in our equations. This was definitely my favorite unit. I think that I'm pretty good with multi-step problems.

This trimester we had to get 100 math points. There was one class period Ms. Hart let me do math points. I did a ton of them and handed them in. The total came out to 176.

We also did a lot of algebra equation by looking at patterns. We did a lot of worksheets and activities for this.

Sincerely,

Jaco

Dear Mom,

We have just completed module one in our math books. We did a lot of graphing and tables, algebra, probability and order of operations. I really want you to know more about what we learned so I will tell you.

Graphing was the first section in the module. We learned how to analyze a graph and how to choose the right graph for each set of data. We also learned what a frequency table was and how to use it.

The second section was algebra and patterns. We learned how to predict the nth term in a pattern by coming up with an equation, (T=n). Also we learned that algebra isn't as big, bad, and scary as we thought.

We spent a few weeks on probability and did some really fun experiments. Our math teacher went around and had each of us pick a cube out of a bag and tally what color. We did individual projects too, for mine I put a dice in a mug and picked the dice out. What ever number my thumb was on was the number I tallied. Probability was my second favorite module.

To wrap up the unit we revisited the order of operations. The order is, parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and addition and subtraction, or P.E.M.D.A.S. To help us remember the order we say, Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. If you don't know what exponents are the are a number with a little number in the corner which stands for how many times you multiply the number by its self, for example, 22.

Love,

Your Daughter

Dear Parents,

Hello parents of mine. I am learning about a lot in math class this year in module 1. I would like to tell you about some of the things we are learning about in math.

This year in module 1 we learned about how to do algebraic problems like : (2-1+ 4)x6= or 11x(1+4)-3=. We also learned about how to do exponents 2 to the power of 2 or 100 to the power of 4. The other things we learned about were like how to find different things on patterns. I also was learning about how to find the nth form of a pattern.

We take a test on all we learned in the module when we finish the module we also take lots of pre tests and quizzes we do them usually after a unit ends. We will have math points due after the test usually. I do a lot of the pattern and algebra ones because they are more math points.

We are learning to solve challenging and unique problems that require a chart or diagram.

Sincerely,

HJPA

Dear Mom and Dad,

One thing I learned in module 1 is the order of operations. I learned that parentheses come first. After parentheses come exponents. Then multiplication and/or division, and then addition and/or subtraction. The fraction line means divide.

I also learned about exponents. Any number to the second power (squared 2) means multiply by itself. If anything is to the third power (cubed 3), you multiply it by itself and then the product by the base number. With ten, the exponent is the number of zeros. 10 3 = 1000 10 4 = 10000 10 5 = 100000

I learned about probability. If there are 10 coins in a bag, and three of them are pennies, there is a 30% theoretical probability of picking a penny.

I also learned about graphing. If both axis on a graph have numbers in them, then you should use a point graph. If both axis have words, then you should use a bar graph.

Sincerely

RJCH

Dear Mom and Dad,

Sincerely

RJCH

Dear Mom and Dad,

This module in math (the first one) has been good. We have learned a ton of stuff and were tested on each subject we learned about. The first thing we learned about was how to make graphs and frequency tables. We learned this by recording lots of different data and placing it on graphs and frequency tables. That was a good review to make sure we have the knowledge we need. Another thing we learned was how to find the Nth term in a sequence. We practiced by frequently doing these problems and learning some cool rules and tricks along the way from our awesome teacher Mrs. Heart. We learned a lot more things but I'm only want and need to tell you one more. The last thing we learned about was probability. This unit was fun because we did lot's of physical experiments in the class making it more interesting. The big experiment we did was each of us pick a group of objects and experiment to see what the probability of picking them were, after we did that we recorded the information on a frequency table and put it on a poster, we also wrote a summary of what we did. This was cool because I got to see everybody's work.

Dear mom and dad,

we have been working on module one.

In that we have been working on exponents like 4 to the powerof 6 =4096, 4 6 4x4x4x4x4x4. Exponents can be hard like 9 5, but I know them pretty well.

We have also been working on probability of stuff like this,

what is the probability of spinning a D. the experimental is 1/2

We have been working on frequency tables to like,

the numbers on the left is how many times the letter got

picked. And that is what we have been working on in

math so far.

Sincerely,

your son

Dear Parents,

I am writing you a letter about module 1 from math class.

One thing I learned in this module is what experimental and theoretical probability are. Theoretical probability is what you think is going to happen before it happens. It is when you predict something using logical ways. Experimental probability is what actually happened. After you do the experiment the data that you have is the experimental probability.

Another thing that I learned is the order of the operations. The order is pemdas or in other words parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, then subtraction. We learned that if it is addition and subtraction is all that is left then you just do what is first.

One last thing I learned is exponents. They look like this 2 4. The little number is an exponent. Instead of being 2x4 it is actually 2x2x2x2. Most people thing it is 2x4 but they are wrong. They made exponents to shorten the equation. That is what I learned in module 1.

To Whom It May Concern,

This year in math class we have been learning about a lot of things. We learned about graphing and frequency tables, probability, and order of operations.

For probability I did a project with my partner, JRVI where we experimented with the probability of pulling four different kinds of candy from a bag. After, we ate ALL of the candy.

I had a lot of fun with the order of operations unit because I find solving those kind of problems and work on the order of numbers is really interesting and fun to do. We did a lot of worksheets and math points that were about order of operations.

What we did with graphing and frequency tables was in the beginning of the year which was a really super unit. At the beginning of the year we made a frequency table of how many times students in sixth, seventh and eight grade were absent last year.

I had I lot of fun in math class during module one!!!

Love,

The Golden Child(SSAM)

Dear Mom and Dad,

In Math, class we just finished Module 1. A Module is consisted of many sections of different math that we will learn. Let me tell you about some of the things that I have learned within this Module.

One of the things we learned about was graphing. We learned how to extract information from graphs, and also how to make graphs, both bar and line graphs. We also learned when to use a specific graph for different things.

Along with graphing, we also learned more about probability. We did a project for that section, and used tally’s to find the frequency, and we found the theoretical and experimental probability. My project was about the color of Tic-Tacs that we pulled out of a bag.

Last of all, we learned about the order of operations and exponents. We had lots of practice upon this to get good at it, and we also were taught how to deal with exponents in the order of operations.

I hope that you learned a little about some of the different math that we have been learning,

Sincerely,

Your Daughter.

Math in Module 1

Dear Parents,

This year in Math module 1 I have learned many fun and new things. Some of the things I have learned are frequency tables, patterns, and probability.

A frequency table is basically a table with three vertical columns. The first column is what ever the tables about, the second column is for the tally, and the third column is for the frequency or total.

Patterns are new to me this year. I have learned how to find the algebraic equation to patterns. Sometimes it takes a while to find out the pattern but once you get it is easy. Many times it how many cubes are in each figure.

In Probability we have added on to what we already learned in 6th grade. I have learned the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability. I have done a project with my friend on probability that gives the summary, experimental and theoretical probability.

I have had lots of fun and learned a lot in Module 1 and cant wait till module 2.

Sincerely,

HHSC

Hello mom,

I am writing you a letter while I’m in math class to tell you about what we've done so far this year in mathematics class. The classes are colored and my class is red. Every week we have a new math log and each day we put down what our homework is for one week. One thing we did was we had a ripped page from a phone book and we took tally of the last digit of the first 100 phone numbers and put them on a frequency table.

That was in the beginning of the year; one of the more recent things we've done was just a few weeks ago. Me and a friend took a bag of (honey dew) doughnut munchkin things and randomly chose one doughnut out of the bag at a time we then recorded the frequency of a chocolate, glazed and what we call the “eridy” doughnut on a frequency table; which we then put on a plain white piece of paper. We decorated the piece of paper we did this all on, with pretty colors and pictures of donuts.

We also did number tricks which we solved using variables. You must be wondering what a number trick is... here are a few examples: choose a number, add 3, multiply by 2, add 4, divide by 2, subtract original number. Here's another one: Choose a number, add the next larger number, add 7, divide by 2, subtract 4... what are your answers?

Those are some things we have learned in module one this year... we are soon going on to a new module which is module 2. I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about what we learned about in math class this year.

Love,

your daughter.

Dear parents,

This module we learned about graphing, patterns, square numbers, order of operations and exponents. One of the activities we did in the first section was we learned how to make a frequency table of all the absences in the jr. high of 2010, and make a graph. We got into partners and we counted up the absences for each grade and predicted what day would have the most absentees. The most absences believe it or not were on Tuesday.

I had a little trouble with the visual part of the patterns but it was okay. With the square numbers we did a few worksheets and learned how to apply it to geometry. That section was a little boring but I learned a lot because of it.

In the third section, we took a long time to learn about PEMDAS, which is the order of operations. First P or parenthesis, then E or exponents then after that M for multiplication, D for division, A for addition and last but not least S for subtraction. Finally, we finished the module with exponents. It was a little confusing but finally we made it through.

Thank you for your love and support! I love you!

Love,

KSMO

Dear Mom and Dad,

I have finished Module 1 in Math Class, we have covered many interesting things. For example, we have learned about exponents, theoretical and experimental probability, order of operations, frequency tables, a little bit of algebra, and much more. My favorite topic so far has been order of operations. It's really fun to try to solve math problems with PEMDAS.

For frequency tables we did many fun activities. One of them was we had to look at the attendance sheets for every grade last year. We then had to record every single absence into a frequency table. A frequency table is a chart that shows tallys of whatever category you choose.

For order of operations we did a lot of math problems on the Eno board and paper. One of the activities we did was we had to copy down math problems from the board. We then figured out the problems using PEMDAS and then got chosen to do them on the Eno board. It was really helpful to see the whole problem explained in front of you.

For finding the experimental and theoretical probability of an event we did a lot of creative work. My favorite activity for learning probability was creating a poster that shows the results of an experiment you and your partner came up with. For example my partner and I picked a random coin out of a bag, recorded our results into a frequency table, and found the theoretical and experimental probability. We then transferred this information on to a creative poster that is now hanging up in Mrs. Harte's classroom.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I am going to tell you what we did in module 1 since we just finished it. In module 1 of our textbooks Math Thematics we covered many different topics.

We learned about how to interpret a bar graph and line graph by recording the data of last years attendance sheets.

We covered the nth term by using patterns. We would have to predict things like the hundredth term. Instead of doing the pattern one hundred times, you use the nth term and replace the N with 100 and there you go.

We learned how to compute with exponents by finding out the standard form and the exponential form to figure out the answer.

To find the theoretical and experimental probability of an event. We learned this by doing a project with a friend. The project was to figure out a way to find out the probability of a subject of our chose. My partner and I chose picking gum out of a bag. We also had to find out the experimental probability and compere the two.

From,

HSGR

Dear Mom,

In math we have finally finished Module 1. By the way, a module is a whole section that has a bunch of different lessons in it. Our first lesson was...

Bar and line graphs. I liked this section, because it was fairly easy, and kind of fun. Our home work that we had on this asked us questions about what was selling the most, to what kids like to eat the most at lunch. Next lesson was...

Patterns and predictions. This was a little more challenging for me. You would have a table (math table) with numbers in it. You then have to figure out what the pattern is, and complete the table. Our next lesson was...

Exponents, squares, and cubes. Let's start with exponents. Exponents are for example 3², or 3 to the 2nd power. So for this exponent the answer would be 9. I got that by multiplying 3*3.

Those are 3 of our lesson from module 1. Hope you enjoyed!!

Love your amazing daughter,