Copyright (c) 2014 by NE Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
NE -- Blogmeister

Rock And Roll!!!

5A

by NE

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 391

Mad Cow Disease: Bovine Death Threat

You might like beef. But the next bight you take might be the end of your life. The disease you might get is Mad Cow Disease (MCD) also Known as Creutsfelt-Jacob Disease (CJD). That is because the man who first discovered MCD is named Jacob Creutsfelt. You will know if you have MCD!

My Job

I am a neurologist. That means I specialize in diseases in the nervous system. I someone has a disease in the nervous I may be able to cure it. I deal with patients in my clinic

Job of the Nervous System

The nervous system controls all actions in your body. It does to by sending messages to your body using the spinal cord. If you damage your spinal cord your messages will cut off from your body and you will be paralyzed. The brain is divided into three parts. The cerebrum takes up 85-90% of your brain. It controls your memory and your 5 senses. The cerebellum controls your coordination. And the brain stem it takes care of all involuntary actions.

CNS: Are the brain and the spinal cord.

PNS: nerves that go to the outer part of your body.

Did you know that MCD is also known as CJD?

ANS: the nerves that go to the inner part of your body.

The Symptoms

MCD is a very deadly and fatal disease. The disease is quick because you will die within six months of the first symptom. At the beginning of the disease you will seem more nervous than usual. You will also have trouble walking. Later you will be aggressive and uncooperative. The symptoms of animals that have MCD are the same.

The problem

MCD also known as CJD is a deadly disease. It affects the system in a drastic way. Holes will appear in your brain giving it a spongy like look. This happens because the neurons in your brain will eventually die. MCD is caused by prions. Prions are proteins that cause you to get a disease. Your body might be infected but there is a time period between the infection and when you get the disease. When prions enter your body you cannot kill them because they are not alive. Prions will spread around your nervous system, killing your nerve cells.

What does it do?

MCD is a deadly disease. MCD also Known as CJD, makes you lose your memory. It also damages your cerebellum because you will lose your balance and coordination. MCD is a very fatal disease; you will die in months or maybe even weeks. Your brain cells will die. And you will get holes in your brain which gives your brain a spongy like form.

Causes

You can acquire MCD by eating infected beef. This is caused by prions. Prions are small proteins that cause you to the disease. Prions are not alive. Prions naturally accure in your body, so they are not recognized as foreign so they don’t stimulate the immune system. They have the potential to harm you, but won’t automatically harm you.

Treatment

There is no treatment to MCD. Nor is there a cure. But you can avoid it by not eating beef. There is no other way.

MCD is a very deadly disease. There is no cure or treatment. And it affects the system in a very drastic way. MCD affects the brain, the brain is part of the nervous system. There are many symptoms to MCD. MCD is a rare disease.

Bibliography:

Information:

Philadelphia: Chelsea House Publishers, 2005. Ferreiro, Carmen. Mad cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) .

A diagram of the disease

Did you know that the person who discovered MCD is called Jacob creutsfelt?

Did you know that cows with MCD eat other cows?

A diagram of prions

Article posted April 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 191

Students observed the dissection of the heart and lungs of a sheep, and dissected a sheep heart, as part of the science unit on the circulatory/cardiovascular system. Ms. Salem conducted the dissection.

It was a couple of days ago, when Mrs. Salem was dissected a heart. The whole operation was to show us how to do it and because we were learning about circulatory system.

It was really fun, because we also did it ourselves, the heart was very bloody. It was really cool because we got to see how the heart looks like from the inside. When the teacher cut open the lungs we got to feel the tubes that run through it. And we got to put our finger in the aorta. Mrs. Salem did all sorts of cool things, like when she blew in the trachea and then the lungs inflated.

But there were some gross things, like how the heart smells, because it smells like a dead sheep. The heart and the lungs looked liked when they were wrapped In the cellophane. What was also really disgusting is when we had to dissect the heart because it was really bloody and slimy.

I hope you will get a chance to dissect a heart. And it will encourage you to become a doctor or a heart surgeon.

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 60

My Principal

This is an Unassisted Personal Narrative, planned, written and typed in a 60-minute Writer’s Workshop.

Many children go to school. The schools they go to all have principals. Some day the kids will get to meet them. Most principals are nice but some are not, for example mine is the best.

It was bright outside the sun was shining, the trees were bright green. The ground was dry but clean. I woke, brushed my teeth, and ate my breakfast. It was the day I had to go see my new school.

My family and I got in my dad’s car and my dad drove us to school. I was really nervous but excited at the same time. “Mom, I’m nervous.””You will be fine.”I actually started to believe her. My brother was sitting next to me in the back seat. He was playing games on his phone I asked “can I play?””Play on your own one.” He answered. Then I remembered that I have mine. I played until we reached ACS which was my school from now on. It was really cool there were guards everywhere. The school was really big; the big gates were painted in blue.

My family and I walked in through the main gate. “I am mister Friel the assistant to your children’s new principal. I will only show you around today, I hope you will like ACS very much.” I was happy that I will join a very nice school. MR Friel took us to the music room first it was really big with chairs everywhere. On the stage was MRS Branch my new principal. She was wearing a long skirt with a white top; she was also holding a microphone. She said a couple of things about ACS. Then told us to go meet our new teachers. I finally meat my new principal.

ACS is a very big and nice school in Lebanon. It has very good teachers.   

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Why it is Important to Listen

An Unassisted Expository Text; planned, written and typed in one Writers Workshop (80 minutes)

People who listen often do better in school. Also if you have a test you have to listen to get a good score. If you get a good score you will get a good grade. If you listen you will do good in school and your parents will get you a game.

Test

If you listen in class you will get a good score on a test. Also if you listen you will get a good score on a test or a quiz that you did not study for or not know about. You will get a good score just by listening to your teacher explaning. If you get a good score it means that you will get a good grade.

Facts

There are many facts that children who listen get a good score on there work or on a test. Children who listen do better in school as well. When you listen you don’t have to go and ask what you have to do. Your teacher will have a better time and so will you if you listen.

It helps

When you listen you will remember things when you are older. Also if you listen you will finish your work faster and better so you do not have to stay in for recess to do it again. Also you will be able to answer any question any one asks you. You can also be the best in the class maybe grade.

People who listen in class will be better students. Also you can be the best if you listen. You can answer any question on the subject. You will be ready for a test. Your parents will give a gift when you listen and do well in school.  

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 67

I am from

I am from lions, fences, and tigers, from the lightning zapping the ground, from the right side of the car and from a car roaring engine. I am from sharks, fish, and whales, from tanks of water filled with rare fish and very big turtles. I am from a big table from pasta and corn, from a plate of corn on a cob, from steps being stepped on by people, and the steam of jacket potato, from chicken, and the munching of salad. I am from winning a toy from the game in the corner. I am from a highway with no traffic, from the sweet air in my home, from the trees I can see through the small window, from a playstation 3, and from my mom telling me to clean up the mess in my room; I am from me telling my brother to put the music down, from the mixer and chocolate. I am from a mountain called Faraya, from the skis and from falling down and hurting myself. I am from a village with flaming sun shining on it. I am from the giant metal post with wires all over the place.  I am from the plum trees in my back yard of my home.       

Where are you from?

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 66

Most Honest Moment

I was on the roof with my friends. We were at recess. Most of the boys were playing foot ball. Sometimes the game gets a little rough. It also gets competitive. We were split in two teams.

We were playing for about ten minutes now. It was one to zero, team was winning. Suddenly the ball comes flying by. And it hit my hand. Every one said that it was a foul for hitting my hand. I thought about it. Because if I say that the ball did not hit my hand it will be a penalty. But if I say that it did hit my hand they will get a penalty and they will probably score a goal. I remembered that honesty is the best policy, so I said that the ball hit my hand. But it came in a price. Everyone on my team was mad at me. But it was worth it.

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 53

A Big Balloon

Inspired by William Carlos Williams

So much depends

upon

a big blue

balloon

floating in the

air

beside a chocolate

cake.

A Brown Horse

Inspired by William Carlos Williams

So much depends

upon

a brown horse

galloping

on a big

field

beside a big

tree.

Smashed on the floor

Inspired by William Carlos Williams

So much depends

upon

Falling on the

floor

not able to

move

beside a big

man.

Article posted March 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

A Big Balloon Inspired by William Carlos Williams So much depends upon a big blue balloon floating in the air beside a chocolate cake. A Brown Horse Inspired by William Carlos Williams So much depends upon a brown horse galloping on a big field beside a big tree. Smashed on the floor Inspired by William Carlos Williams So much depends upon Falling on the floor not able to move beside a big man.

Article posted March 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 53

I am From

I am from lions, fences, and tigers, from the lightning zapping the ground, from the right side of the car and from a car roaring engine. I am from sharks, fish, and whales, from tanks of water filled with rare fish and very big turtles. I am from a big table from pasta and corn, from a plate of corn on a cob, from steps being stepped on by people, and the steam of jacket potato, from chicken, and the munching of salad. I am from winning a toy from the game in the corner. I am from a highway with no traffic, from the sweet air in my home, from the trees I can see through the small window, from a playstation 3, and from my mom telling me to clean up the mess in my room; I am from me telling my brother to put the music down, from the mixer and chocolate. I am from a mountain called Faraya, from the skis and from falling down and hurting myself. I am from a village with flaming sun shining on it. I am from the giant metal post with wires all over the place. I am from the plum trees in my back yard of my home.

Where are you from?

© 2011

Article posted March 15, 2011 at 07:53 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 71

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Atpcc5FLvnpgUB06ZqiTiPCnCFs6zsXTgg5cpOXwUmY?feat=embedwebsite" target="_blank">http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Atpcc5FLvnpgUB06ZqiTiPCnCFs6zsXTgg5cpOXwUmY?feat=embedwebsite">

Article posted February 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 66

Caves: Magnificent Underground Chambers

They are damp, they are dark and deep. They are also very hollow to. Some people think that they are creepy. They are used by a lot of people because they explore and walk in them. If you like to explore or if you like to exercise I suggest you go for a walk or explore in a cave. If you want you can go to see a cave and see things you have never seen things before. I know a famous cave it is in Lebanon and it is called Jieta. It is very nice it has lots of nice spelothems that naturally made. They look like underground chambers. Caves are underground passage ways. Often with uneven floors.

Step one of forming a cave, When water mixes with carbon dioxide which will create carbon acid. Carbon acid will dissolve anything in its way. Step two, Carbon acid dissolves lime stone which is called weathering. Lime stone is easier to dissolve. Step three water will run away into cracks and hit a flat surface but if that flat surface is lime stone the water will cause a hole, the hole will keep getting bigger. That is how caves are formed. Caves are landforms that are created by water, wind, and weathering and erosion. Water that drops and tumbles from cracks can make a cave deeper because of its pressure. Caves are also formed by weathering because of the water bashes on the side of a cliff which causes a hole. Second wind hits the hole which causes it to get deeper. Third rain drops cause cracks until they turn the hole into a cave. Did you know that creatures that live in caves lay eggs and build nests in caves? Some caves have speleothems which look like spikes either hanging from the ceiling or coming out of the ground. Some cave passage ways are not always dissolved by water but sometimes by regular water. Carbon acid can also dissolve limestone. The creatures that live in caves mostly live in the twilight zone. Some animals, mostly bears use caves for shelter. Do you know that bats live in caves because they are nocturnal, which means that they sleep in the morning and wake up at night. So a cave or a cavern is a natural underground space large enough for a human to enter. Some people suggest that the term cave should only apply to natural cavities some part in which total darkness; however, in popular usage, the term includes smaller spaces like sea caves, rock shelter, and grottos. But the problem is that they take a while to form. Erosion can also cause caves to form. Erosion is when an object is moved. You might ask how erosion can help form a cave. Well erosion can help form caves because erosion can move rocks that are in caves.

The most famous cave is the Crystal cave. The Crystal Cave is the biggest and nicest one of all.

Caves are used by many people. Such as the French use their caves to store their wine because the temperature in a cave stays the same, it does not change. Also people store nuclear waste because it is far away from civilization. Caves are also used for getting bacteria because people who make cheese need bacteria for taste; Blue cheese is a type of cheese that needs bacteria for taste.

Lots of organisms live in caves. These are the organisms are bats, scorpions, spiders, snakes, and Bears also other animals. These organisms live in caves for shelter.

What do they look like?

Do you Know what caves look like?

In the future caves will become larger and larger over time. because weathering will still cause rain drops to bash on to cliff sides. Erosion will still move rocks. Also sea waves will keep bashing onto cliff sides. ``

Article posted January 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 66

This is my reflection on the Ramlieh trip. I really liked it. I loved the food. I suggest to that you go on the trip. We went on a hike in the morning and at night. If you go you will learn how to make a compass and a lot of cool things like about a bird that can make any voice that it hears, like a car alarm, and a drill.

You get to touch birds and learn about them. You also get to do a rope course. You get to do archery and pop balloons.

But the bad thing was on the rope course was a little bit slow. For example, the zip line was really slow. It also hurts when you stop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31371840@N06/5145693208/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/31371840@N06/5145693208/" title="Nader by ACS5A, on Flickr">Nader

I did this because it was fun and for Miss Noshie to solve.

Article posted November 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 38

Article posted November 3, 2010 at 08:14 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 36

Nader

From 5A Readling Log Wordles

My name is Nader. I am from England and Lebanon. I like football and basketball and all sorts of sports.