Copyright (c) 2014 by A Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
A -- Blogmeister

Abhi's Blog

2010-2011

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by A

teacher: Derek Milloy

Title: Media Literacy: Money & Music (04/18/11)
Description: Do a lot of other people your age know and listen to the same songs you like? Why do you think that is?

Visit this link about money and music from pbskids.org
http://pbskids.org/dontbuyit/entertainment/makingmusic.html

ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLES ON THIS WEB SITE:

Who and what determines what music you hear? What are some of the factors that may influence a song or artist's popularity? Besides the main product being sold, what else is being advertised in many TV & Internet commercials?

Follow the 5 links down the right side of the page and read the information, then respond to the questions above on your blog. (Include links to any pages you refer to to make it easy for your readers to follow-up on your ideas and come to their own conclusions.)

Article posted May 4, 2011 at 04:24 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 420

Money and music. What is music used for in commercials? Money. Money is the main reason artistis are giving permission to companies to use their music in their commercials. Because the artist get part of the money the company makes if it is using their music and that people will hear their songs and like them and try to get and hear more of the artist's songs.

In radio stations, do you think that the station chooses the songs that are played there? Think again. Today companies own 100's of radio stations across the country. If a radio station is in let's say Winnipeg and the main office is in Surrey, then the songs that will be played in the Winnipeg station will e decided in Surrey. Can you belive that?

If you drove in your car in the early 1950's or 60's you would hear new and diffrent music at every new area.You would hear music that you might never hear in your hometown. It made travelling by car very educational and entertaining. Before you would hear diffrent music every where, Because radio companies could only own 28 radio station and now radio companies can have has as many as they can afford.The most famous of these companies is called Clear Channel Communications, which now owns about 1,100 radio stations. Another company that owns a ton of stations is Viacom. Viacom is a very important company because it not only owns radio stations, but also television networks like MTV, VH1 and CBS. So whether you're watching music television or listening to the radio, the same few people might be deciding what you hear.

So since radio stations are putting the same songs everywhere for you to listen to, all the singers won't get a chance for everyone to listen to all of their music. So that is why they are giving their songs to commercial companies, from my point of view.

Whe you see a commercial and you want to buy it;s product, you go to the store and start looking for it and beside it are all these cool products!!!!-From the same company. So what advertisers do they show you a pretty good product, but not the best so when you see them you won't go for the product you saw, but go for the better ones and spen more money on their products.

Thank-You for reading.

It would be great if you learned more about this, so please follow this link:[LINK]

Article posted April 21, 2011 at 02:51 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 93

Well, there is people in grade five who like the same songs but there is some songs that we just all don't like.I think that is because all the new artists and music like pop,rap, and rock. It's really common of kids to likethe same music and songs. This all happens by radio,T.V., and computers etc. What commercials do is they catch your attention by music in the backround. Some artists endorse a company to help make the money for the company and make money for themselves.

I was looking through the site and my favourite page was the fill in the blank. Because I never knew a jingle can be so memorable.

Article posted April 29, 2011 at 05:41 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 71

What music do we listen to? You may think that you choose the music you listen, but you are only partially correct. The music we listen to is determined by our selves, but the way we get to know about theses songs is a whole different story. Many companies, such as Pepsi, buy the right to use artists' music in their commercial. That influences us as to what we hear and are exposed to. Well it's not all marketing a song that gets us to listen to it, but its a part of it. Singers still need to sound good, but not as much as when there were no commercials. Radio stations also get effected by this, they have to play whatever song is hot. In the summer I remember hearing "California Gurls" by Katy Perry 3 straight times on a radio station, because that song had lots of publicity.

The way an artist dresses could also effect popularity,but not that much. The way an artist acts also could effect popularity. The type of music, lyrics, and beat of a song all go into effecting a song's or artists' popularity.

In a commercial, the main thing being sold is the main product, but its not just the product being sold. It's the brand and if there is a song and/or artist in the commercial, that's also being sold. Pepsi is known for having artists in their commercial such as: Pink, Brittney Spears, and Beyonce. Brisk Ice Tea has had Emenim in one of their commercial as well. Thank You for reading my article. Peace!

Article posted May 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 67

Do you know or think that people your age listen to the same music you do? Probably. But some people don't. They go with there own taste of music. Some people like Cultural music, pop, rock and, music from different artist. Well, you know in comercials, there is backround music. Why? Well because if the comercials are entertaining and convincing enough, people will buy the companies products. Just for money. Lots of people like there own type of music, it's just what they like. Thanks for reading.

You might think that we choose the music that gets played on the radio but you are half correct. We might choose what songs we hear but the way we hear about new songs is a different subject. The headquarters that own the radio stations buy the rights to use artist’s music in their advertisements. That's how we hear new songs from different artists.

Sometimes you hear the same song on the same radio station 2 times or more in a row. Why? It’s because of the publicity. Or on two different radio stations either at the same time or one after the other.   To influence a song to the artist’s mind they sometimes get songs from reality. About what happens in their life. They say that's the most popular influence to songs by famous artists

Article posted May 4, 2011 at 04:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 234

Q:Do a lot other people your age know and listen to the same songs?

A: No,because alot of people have there own choice of differnt kinds of music.

Q: Who or what determines the music you hear?

A:Mainly the media choses because alot of kids these years listen to alot of pop.

Q: What are some of the factors that my influence a song or an artist's popularity?

A: Well the way they sing the song with there emotion,the lyrics that are in the song,and there kind of singing.(for example rap,pop,rock...etc.)

Q:Besides the main product being sold, what else is being advertised in many TV & Internet commercials?

A:The differnt types of music you can't hear on big commercial radio stations.

Do a lot other people your age know and listen to the same songs?

A: Yes, lots of girls who are my age like the songs I like.

I think this because I hear lots of kids singing the kinds of songs I like.

A: Mostly the world because you can usally hear Katy Perry songs on the radio.And you can hear her songs on an Ipod or,on a MP3 Player.

A: Well...I say the beat,the kind of voice singing,or the mood on how the singer's feels.

Article posted April 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 84

Music, who decides what you listen to? You may think its you, but if you do, your only partially right. You may choose what you put on your iPod, but if you listen to the radio, the company in charge of the station chooses. Because the company clear channel communications owns ~ 1100 stations!!! Do you ever feel like “the beat” just keeps playing the same songs over and over and over again, cause I sure do. It seems like there’s never any new artists or songs. Come on “the beat”, give some other artists a chance=http:// So your watching a Toyota commercial and you favorite Justin Bieber song is playing in the background, what are you more interested in, JB or a car you’re not old enough to drive. I think you know its Justin. Like yesterday, I’m watching a Claritin commercial this rock song I like is playing, so I’m happy about the song, but not about the allergy medicine. It just doesn’t make sense=http://

I'm sure a lot of people my age dont listen and like the musics I like. All of people are different in many ways. One of them are likes and dislikes. All of us likes different things such as music. Some of themlikes our music, some of them don't like it.

When a song is sung in a television or in a radio, became a jingle of some commercial and became popular and won many award, the song and the singer will be famous. It means the people love its the song. It maybe the lyrics, the catchy tune or the meaning of the song.

Besides products being sold, movies and television shows are also being advertised in internet and tv. It also has it's own jingle.

I like hockey, basketball, and soccer